London makes position changes, prepares to begin spring practice
Just finished up with Coach Mike London, who's ready to get going for the beginning of spring practice on March 15. There will be updates between now and then, but let's knock some of the news out of the way first...
- There are some position changes, as expected, with more on the way. Among the most notable...
- Terence Fells-Danzer moved to fullback from linebacker
- Cam Johnson moved to defensive end from linebacker
- Ausar Walcott moved to linebacker from safety
- Brent Urban moved inside to defensive tackle from defensive end
"You look at the roster as it is now, and obviously it's going to change, but part of this evaluating process in changing to different schemes is finding who can play what," London said. "We projected players to move to different spots, but until we actually start practicing and assessing players' skills, we'll see whether they stay there or not."
- Some personnel updates...
- Guard Billy Cuffee and defensive tackle Buddy Ruff are no longer on the roster. Running back Keith Payne is back on the roster, but must meet requirements to remain on the team in the fall.
"There's two individuals that had not met the academic expectations of them that are not here with us," London said. "There are some guys on the roster that based on my expectations of them as a student-athlete and in the community, that will be contingent on whether or not they return next year. It's a spring practice full of trying to evaluate the talent we have on the team, evaluate those who have a fifth-year opportunity, whether or not the expectations of being a good student and doing the right things, if that comes to fruition and whether that happens, they may be on the team next year. There are a couple different elements going on right now about how the team will finally look next year."
- Some health updates...
- Running back Dominique Wallace is back running after a foot surgery ended his season, but will not be available for the spring.
- Defensive end Matt Conrath had a bone removed from his foot and will be hampered -- and possibly not involved -- in spring practice.
- Corey Mosley had shoulder surgery, and will likely be not allowed to participate in spring practice.
March 5, 2010; 3:34 PM ET
Save & Share: Previous: No. 2 Virginia men's lacrosse prepares for No. 1 Syracuse
Next: Virginia football to scrimmage in Norfolk on March 27
Posted by: skabizza | March 6, 2010 1:28 AM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.