Posted at 12:43 PM ET, 03/23/2006

'80s Movies, the Perfect Vintage

By Liz Kelly

Because we can't get enough of the '80s today...

What was she saying? Mayhaps: "They f---ing forgot my birthday." (Getty Images)

Yesterday's post about "Red Dawn" got me thinking about the '80s and, specifically, the seemingly rich (at least in hindsight) array of teen movies produced during the decade: "The Outsiders," "War Games," "Goonies," "Better Off Dead," "Lost Boys," "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," "Heathers"... all pillars of my "we had better movies when I was a teen" argument (which I often deploy to my 14-year-old niece every time I'm dragged to a Lindsay Lohan or Amanda Bynes release).

Was the message from Hollywood better, too, or is that the rose-colored glasses again?

In the '80s, I think we paid more attention to the on-screen characters being portrayed by the brat pack than to the gossip surrounding them. (Or maybe my parents just didn't keep my "Teen Beat" subscription up-to-date.) Those characters, especially in John Hughes' flicks, were the underdogs, the individuals who functioned outside the cheerleader/jock dynamic. Molly Ringwald in "16 Candles" and "Pretty in Pink," Corey Haim in "Lucas," Mary Stuart Masterson as the drumming love interest of Eric Stoltz in my favorite, "Some Kind of Wonderful."

The focus now seems to be on the off-screen antics of stars like Lohan and the ever-tabloid-present Olsen twins. All in a day's work for watchers of celeb culture, but enough to make an aunt of a 14-year-old cringe.

In any case, I'm thinking of creating a Netflix account pre-loaded with some classic '80s fare for my unsuspecting niece. The movies I named above are givens, but more suggestions would be most welcome...

By Liz Kelly  | March 23, 2006; 12:43 PM ET
Categories:  Miscellaneous
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: V for Vegetating in Front of My Monitor
Next: Morning Mix: Tilton Says Simpson No Lucy Ewing

Comments

Don't forget The Karate Kid, the soundtrack to Pump Up the Volume, and all the lesser teen movies like Adventures in Babysitting and License to Drive!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 23, 2006 1:20 PM | Report abuse

How about an all-time classic - Can't Buy Me Love. Who'd have thunk that Patrick Dempsey would be a true heartthorb almost 20 years later?!

Posted by: totally_geek_2 | March 23, 2006 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Out of all of Hughe's movies from the 80's (I'm a 1988 HS grad), Breakfast Club spoke to my peers and I the loudest. Up to that point, I never heard a movie talk so honestly about being a geek, thug, preppie, jock, etc. and about our relationships with our parents. Fantastic stuff.

Additionally, Fast Times at Ridgemont High was a teen movie that didn't talk down to teens, and for a comedy, it was one of the first. And boy did it ever work (and still does)!

Posted by: David S. | March 23, 2006 1:27 PM | Report abuse

The greatest 80s teen flick of them all - The Breakfast Club!

Posted by: freddo | March 23, 2006 1:28 PM | Report abuse

The Breakfast Club. I just had to rebuy that movie on DVD. What a classic.

Posted by: Gena | March 23, 2006 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Real Genius, the teen comedy for MIT aspirants (and starring Val Kilmer to boot). I second the recommendation of Pump Up The Volume; any teen film that can make Leonard Cohen cool can't be all bad.

Posted by: tdk | March 23, 2006 1:38 PM | Report abuse

No list is complete without Say Anything, and the DVD has great extras.

Posted by: phoebesnow | March 23, 2006 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Please the greatest 80's movie was HE-MAN, which by the way starred a very young Courtney Cox.

Posted by: Ron Smithbone | March 23, 2006 1:39 PM | Report abuse

The Breakfast Club is the all-time greatest 80's teen movie, of course, but there are many others...Risky Business, Permanent Record, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, River's Edge, Better Off Dead, 16 Candles...heck, even Porky's is better than the swill they're making today.

Posted by: Bruce H. | March 23, 2006 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Sixteen Candles made me realize it was okay to be not blonde or a cheerleader in high school. It's the best version of Cinderella out there!

Posted by: AWB | March 23, 2006 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of underdogs, don't forget about Revenge of the Nerds, the original.

Posted by: Laura | March 23, 2006 1:53 PM | Report abuse

All the John Cusak movies -- Better Off Dead, the Sure Thing, etc.

Posted by: E | March 23, 2006 1:53 PM | Report abuse

How could we forget "St. Elmo's Fire" set in our very own Washington DC!! Rob Lowe was just dreamy and whose heart didn't go out to the Andrew McCarthy or Emilio Estevez characters?

::sigh::

The 80s were just better for the movies (says this 1986 WCHS grad).

Posted by: Kristine | March 23, 2006 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Let's tip our hat to a time when Tom Cruise was known strictly for his acting chops - "Risky Business".

Posted by: JB | March 23, 2006 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Princess Bride!

Posted by: aeg | March 23, 2006 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Say Anything.
Not sure how you're defining teen flick, but how about "Valley Girl" and "Less than Zero"?

Posted by: Jeff J. | March 23, 2006 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Did anybody catch "The Outsiders" on AMC the other night? All sorts of future huge stars(Cruise, Lowe, Swayze), but C. Thomas Howell carries the flick.

Posted by: JB | March 23, 2006 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Can't forget St. Elmos's Fire.

Posted by: JT | March 23, 2006 1:59 PM | Report abuse

And, oh I forgot all the S.E. Hinton books that were made into movies -- Tex, The Outsiders, Rumble Fish... young Matt Dillon, Patrick Swayze, C. Thomas Howell, Tom Cruise -- pretty all the young, hot, up and coming actors.

Posted by: Kristine | March 23, 2006 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget Weird Science, and Bill Paxton's famous portrayal of Chet.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 23, 2006 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Say Anything, Breakfast Club, Red Dawn (just making sure it's on there,) Back to School, Caddyshack, Pretty in Pink, American Vacation, Fletch, The Toy (Richard Pryor,) Kids Incorporated, Weird Science, One Crazy Summer, Friday the 13th, Spies Like Us, Napoleon Dynamite (quintessential '80s moved filmed in 2005.)

Posted by: RFD | March 23, 2006 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Like today's youngsters, the Brat Packers also received considerable press coverage of their personal antics(remember Rob Lowe?). But they also starred in several good movies.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 23, 2006 2:25 PM | Report abuse

The writing and the acting were clearly better back then. Hollywood could never pull off a movie set in one room over the course of 8 hours on a Saturday today!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 23, 2006 2:30 PM | Report abuse

You all have forgotten "Stand by Me."

Posted by: Fromthe80s | March 23, 2006 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Personal favs are 16 Candles (love Jake Ryan), Better Off Dead ("I want my two Dollars!, the Outsiders ("do it for johnny") and St. Elmos Fire. period

Posted by: Jenn "88 is great" | March 23, 2006 2:50 PM | Report abuse

i forgot Taps

Posted by: Jenn | March 23, 2006 2:52 PM | Report abuse

And for those of us who used to have a dark side let's not forget Suburbia and Repo Man......

Kids these days don't know what they're missing

Posted by: sushiman | March 23, 2006 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"The Outsiders" was every teen (now 30-something) girl's dream way back in the day.

And, Lloyd Dobler (aka, John Cusak) in Say Anything still rocks!!!

It goes w/o saying that any of the "brat pack" movies rule.

And, the darkly delightful "Heathers."

Basically, this is a long way of saying the 80's teen movies are far superior to anything of today.

Posted by: in DC | March 23, 2006 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Better Off Dead is a classic. I also am a true fan of Can't Buy Me Love.

You all have forgotten Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (Sara Jessica Parker and Helen Hunt). And does Dirty Dancing count?

Posted by: GJK | March 23, 2006 3:18 PM | Report abuse

The 80's were the best...but don't forget Dead Poet's Society--carpe diem!

Posted by: Jen | March 23, 2006 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Hi Liz.

Please do not subject your niece to "Less Than Zero" Simply awful. I remember getting free passes to a screening (and the book!) at a screening and wishing I could have those hours of my life back.

The only worse '80s flick, "Light of Day" with Joan Jett.

Cheers.

Posted by: 85-Grad | March 23, 2006 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Bacon in "Footloose" --great 80's movie!

Posted by: JNH | March 23, 2006 3:29 PM | Report abuse

RFD's on to something with "Napolean Dynomite."

Another one on that list would be "Donnie Darko" -- made just a few years ago, but also set in the '80s.

Incidentally, it also features really good songs from Duran Duran, Tears for Fears, INXS, Joy Division... Unfortunately, none of the songs are on the official soundtrack.

Posted by: Liz | March 23, 2006 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I wrote my senior honor's thesis in college about 1980's teenpics (movies about teens and created with a teen audience in mind) and I have to say there's so much more behind the plotlines and characters we love. Simply the historical timing and business influences that led up to this incredible number of films that came out in the same time are really interesting. More teens with money to spare to live interesting lives to make movies about, and more teens with money to spare to go to those very movies. And, of course, I think it's interesting that all those 80's movies started out with Amy Heckerling's "Fast Times" and then the plethora of teenpics in the late 90's got kick-started again with Heckerling's "Clueless." But I could go on forever...

Posted by: MKG | March 23, 2006 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Talk about casting genius, look no further than "Fast Times at Ridgemont High." The only "name" actor at the time the movie was released was Ray Walston (Mr. Hand), but it also featured the following then-unknowns: Sean Penn, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Judge Reinhold, Forrest Whittaker, Anthony Edwards, Eric Stoltz, Nicholas Coppola (before he changed his last name to Cage),Phoebe Cates (okay, not all of them shot to stardom, but still. . .)

Finally, let us not forget the late Vincent Schiavelli (the odd-looking science teacher).

Wow!

Posted by: David | March 23, 2006 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who would put All the Right Moves on the list? For small-town Americans, the quintessential story about trying to get out.

Posted by: Mojo sez | March 23, 2006 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Liz, it took you almost two hours to work in a "Donnie Darko" reference. I was getting worried about you!

Posted by: JB | March 23, 2006 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I hate to aks this, but is it possible that we're just old and nostalgic? Dirty Dancing and Footloose as great movies? I love 'em as much as the next guy, but "Nobody puts Baby in a corner," is certainly not great dialogue, and that scene with Kevin Bacon doing gymnastics and dancing in the warehouse is awful. There are some decent teen movies being made right now, they're just not the overhyped drivel that is generally being produced. "Saved" (from 2004) stands up to all of those movies. And if I could offer another on the growing list, don't forget Mask. Not the normal teen fare, but still a classic.

Posted by: AL | March 23, 2006 3:44 PM | Report abuse

My favorite "quintessential" 80s film is Valley Girl. Not only does is document an influential 80s subculture, not only is it the main actor debut of Nicholas Cage, not only are all the characters great and dialogue fun, but it has the most kick-ass soundtrack of all the 80s movies. "Melt With You", "Monster of Love" to name a couple songs.

Posted by: Ian | March 23, 2006 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I have been in love with Lloyd Dobbler my entire life! Say Anything is one of my all-time favorites. And I totally agree with you when you say that today's teen movies are no where near the same...maybe I just grew up.

Posted by: Amanda | March 23, 2006 3:49 PM | Report abuse

The Sure Thing with John Cusack - Favorite Movie Ever along with Sixteen Candles.

Posted by: Laura | March 23, 2006 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Stripes
Little Shop of Horrors
Three Amigos

Posted by: I_Miss_80s | March 23, 2006 4:03 PM | Report abuse

my boyfriend moved from china to the us when he was 14 years old so he missed out all the 80's stuff. sooo, the best part is, i get to introduce him to the 80's movies!! you bet i will show him every movie ever mentioned in the previous blogs - they are too good to forget, even the older movies, too. today's movies are out of taste, out of touch, and out of reality. so sad.

Posted by: muck | March 23, 2006 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Technically, it's a 90's movie, but it has "16 Candles" Michael Schoeffling (aka Jake Ryan). - Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken.

Not exactly in the same class as those noted above, but a nice movie for a 14 y/o niece!

Posted by: DC Expat | March 23, 2006 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Generation '80s is starting to sound like those Greatest Generation jerks who think they did everything the right way and for all the right reasons.

We were teens; we watched teen movies. Now we're not teens; we're nostalgic about our teen movies; and today's teen movies just don't do it for us. Talk about predictable.

Real Genius by the way was freaking great.

Posted by: Speb | March 23, 2006 4:11 PM | Report abuse

How about Dirty Dancing (my very first PG13 movie when I was only 12) and Weird Science.

I love 80s flicks. They really are the best.

Posted by: Laura V | March 23, 2006 4:17 PM | Report abuse

The Breakfast Club. I was a teenager during the 70's, which made me too old then and too old now to love it but for some reason whenever I'm fliping around the channels, if I notice it's on, I simply cannot walk away. Somehow,despite its ham-fisted philosophizing and obviously archetyping (is there such a word), it speaks a certain truth about how tough it is to live and love in high school. Beyond that, I think each of the actors gave some of the best performances of their lives in it.

Posted by: Mike | March 23, 2006 4:17 PM | Report abuse

While it came out in the 90s, and takes place in the 70s, my all time favorite (since others are choosing some 90s movies already) is Dazed and Confused! How can we leave that great movie out! I went to high school in the early 80s but I loved Dazed and Confused and could certainly relate with an older brother and sister.

Posted by: Oh yeah | March 23, 2006 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe nobody mentioned Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Others that should be included: Lost Boys, Back to the Future, For Love or Money, and Young Guns.

Posted by: Terry | March 23, 2006 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Just One The Guys
My Science Project
My Bodyguard

Posted by: charlie_norris | March 23, 2006 4:46 PM | Report abuse

La Bamba
Reckless
Streets of Fire

Posted by: Mary | March 23, 2006 4:54 PM | Report abuse

This is just pure nostalgia and being greatest generation jerks just as was mentioned above. The greatest teen movie ever was Dazed and Confused. Honestly, the only '80's teen movie that even compares is Fast Times. As much as I loved '80's teen movies (especially Can't Buy Me Love, which literally made me scared to even start high school), they were just so ham-fisted and such the characters were mostly just crude stereotypes. Honestly, I really don't see how they are that much better than Mean Girls and the like.

Posted by: Chris | March 23, 2006 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Although I am a 96 grad I fully agree withe the quality of teen movies from the 80s. I dont know how many hours in my lifetime I've spent watching "The Outsiders" or "Breakfast Club" but at one time it may have been my full-time job. Don't feel that you are being nostagic thinking about how much better teen films were in the past. Think about this: Remember the first time you saw The Outsiders (or even the last time) and how great Matt Dillon's portrayal of Dallas was. After that, think of his performance in "Crash". Now think of Linday Lohan in whatever she's starred in (the Parent Trap not included) and imagine her being nominated for an Oscar in 25 years. Can't do it can you?

Posted by: JenaeMB | March 23, 2006 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I think ya'll are just being standard "old people". 80s teen movies are fine, but no better than "10 Things I Hate About You", "Saved", "Mean Girls", etc.

Posted by: Jon | March 23, 2006 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Were the 1980s the last of innocent growing-up years? I feel that compared to today's teens, I was really quite naive -- and I'm glad. Glad, too, that I didn't grow up in the cellphone, got-to-have-everything-right-now era.
My favoirtie moves from my teen years in the 1980s include:

Risky Business
Taps
Rumblefish
Sixteen Candles
All the Right Moves
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
The Sure Thing
Pee Wees Big Top Adventure
Ordinary People (not necessarily a teen movie)
Witness

Posted by: Angie | March 23, 2006 5:16 PM | Report abuse

As someone who grew up in the 90's and so then had to go back and watch the movies mentioned above... I agree. I don't care that I was, what, 6? when 'St. Elmo's Fire' came out. It still speaks to me -- even more so than 'Reality Bites' (its 90's counterpart?) ever could.

Posted by: Diedre | March 23, 2006 5:49 PM | Report abuse

also, Stand By Me and Stand and Deliver (You've got to have the ganas!). And, very cheesy, but one of my favorites as a kid, Space Camp.

Posted by: liz | March 23, 2006 5:53 PM | Report abuse

For my money, the best movie of the 80s was made in the early 70s.
"King of Hearts" with Alan Bates, was one of the most beautiful satires on sanity, love, and war. It has absolutely nothing to do with John Hughes, or Molly Ringwald, who are clearly very fine talents, but if I was setting up someone's DVD by mail account, I could not limit it to any single period, and this sweet homage to madness would be right at the very top of my list.

Posted by: older fan | March 23, 2006 5:53 PM | Report abuse

What about Porky's

Posted by: Burke | March 23, 2006 5:57 PM | Report abuse

While I'm partial to Sixteen Candles and The Breakfast Club, I think that Mean Girls is just as good as any of the '80s teen comedies.

Posted by: Brad | March 23, 2006 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Some Kind of Wonderful - the music, the timing of the last scene. Mary Stuart Masterson's greatest character.

Posted by: fizix | March 23, 2006 6:36 PM | Report abuse

My votes for 80's:

16 Candles
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Dead Poet Society
Breakfast Club

For the '70's:
Last Picture Show
American Graffiti

Posted by: Chuckles | March 23, 2006 7:12 PM | Report abuse

No one has mentioned "Heathers" yet, not exactly a realistic look at teen life, but still somehow right on the mark.

Posted by: Scott | March 23, 2006 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Real Genius holds up especially well with repeated viewing. Young Val Kilmer and come digs at military and higher ed

Posted by: Lazlo Hollyfeld | March 23, 2006 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I kinda agree with the innocence argument. If you compare Some Kind of Wonderful and Breakfast Club to Mean Girls, there's a certain essence that doesn't exist now. Garden State comes close, but Zack Braff is of the '80's teen generation. I guess that's what I thought was the whole point of teen years, I guesss.

Posted by: Kara | March 23, 2006 9:06 PM | Report abuse

If you compare the worst teen movies of now to the best of the 80s, of course they'll come across as bad. But "Crazy/Beautiful"; "Blue Crush", "Saved", "Friday Night Lights", "Mean Girls", "thirteen", and "the opposite of sex" hold up very well against their classic counterparts.

As well as "Some Kind of Wonderful" and "Say Anything" have aged, "Breakfast Club" and almost all of the other Hughes works are painful. Nothing but stereotypes and caricatures.

Posted by: Philippe | March 23, 2006 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Flight of the Navigator is another great one. Sarah Jessica Parker and Pee Wee Herman (well, Paul Reubens)--doesn't get better than that.

Does anyone else remember the Peanut Butter Solution? This kid who goes bald and uses peanut butter to grow his hair back, but it keeps growing and growing?

Posted by: lcwilson | March 23, 2006 10:01 PM | Report abuse

The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Pretty in Pink, Some Kind of Wonderful, Say Anything. I think those of who love these 80s flicks back then did for what they seemed to tell us then about love, heartbreak, hope, and friendship. Now, we cherish them because they remind us just how goofy, earnest, and ridiculous we were when we were 16. I loved those days!

Posted by: yuri | March 23, 2006 11:43 PM | Report abuse

A couple others

One Crazy Summer
About Last Night
Oxford Blues
The Warriors

Posted by: 80's Fan | March 24, 2006 12:07 AM | Report abuse

I so wanted to be the guy kissing Molly Ringwald on that table over the cake with the candles burning.....and the young Mary Stuart Masterson banging on those drums.....she is so choice...Plus, and I must be honest here, I love watching that movie ,If you have the means I highly recommend picking one up.

Posted by: The black guy | March 24, 2006 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Breaking Away (1979)
The Flamingo Kid (1984)

Posted by: John Wilmot | March 24, 2006 7:00 AM | Report abuse

How about the "B's"!!!!!!
- Night of the Comet
- Dawn of the Dead
- Buckaroo Banzai
- Cherry 2000
- Tremors

Posted by: b-fan! | March 24, 2006 8:05 AM | Report abuse

The Sure Thing or just about anything with John Cussack in it.

Posted by: Doug Markham | March 24, 2006 8:06 AM | Report abuse

I know it's from '92, but when I was a teen, man did I love the movie "Ladybugs" with Rodney Dangerfield and Jonathan Brandis. I firmly believed that it was the greatest movie of all time. I mean, in retrospect, that is probably a false statement, but you never could have convinced me of that back then.

Oh, and Footloose should definitely be watched. Oh, coordinated dance numbers, your brilliance is unparalleled.

Posted by: mllestecchino | March 24, 2006 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget Gas Food Lodging.

Posted by: Katia | March 24, 2006 8:40 AM | Report abuse

The films mentioned above by countless others are of course all good, so I am just going to throw in a real obscure one that people probably don't know but is a good 80's teen genre film.

Heaven Help Us.

Posted by: that armchair | March 24, 2006 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Class

Posted by: jcm | March 24, 2006 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Let's not forget the 80's also brought some of the greatest horror flicks.
-Friday the 13th
-Halloween
-Sleepaway Camp
-Nightmare on Elm Street
and an all time favorite Gremlins.

Posted by: Alex | March 24, 2006 9:23 AM | Report abuse

What about Back to the Future?

Still can't get enough of Pretty in Pink, Footloose, and Dirty Dancing...Those were the days...

Posted by: 80's child | March 24, 2006 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Re: "Napoleon Dynamite (quintessential '80s moved filmed in 2005.)"

What a second.... doesn't he dance to a Backstreet Boys Song?

Posted by: Rob | March 24, 2006 10:55 AM | Report abuse

How could we forget about Cheech and Chong. (Nice Dreams) School Daze, Critters......The list goes on

Posted by: John | March 24, 2006 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Hate to break it to you guys, but the setting for Napoleon Dynamite is 2005...we know this because in the opening sequence it shows his school I.D., and on it, it says, "Napoleon Dynamite, 2005." And also because he dances to Jamiroquai and the Backstreet Boys. So, it's a great teen flick on today!

Posted by: Ana | March 24, 2006 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Wow, reading these posts sure has been quite a walk down memory lane. Get ready for an 80's movie DVD buying frenzy this weekend. The only unfortunate thing about catching any of these movies on regular TV is the truly poor way the dialogue is edited. In Sixteen Candles, instead of being "totally screwed", the characters are made to say "totally squashed." Takes something away from it.

Posted by: JLF | March 24, 2006 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"Napoleon Dynamite" may be set in 2005, but the gist of the story is completely 80's. As an 80's girl who grew up not far from where "Napoleon" was filmed (Preston, ID) I totally understood moonboots, ligres, etc. It was straight from my adolescence.

Posted by: 89 HS Grad | March 24, 2006 1:34 PM | Report abuse

It has to include Footloose. My childhood on the big screen!

Posted by: Footloose Fan | March 24, 2006 3:15 PM | Report abuse

A complete encapsulation of a 1980s teen movie is "Just One of the Guys."

It has all of the necessary criteria:

- A blonde, good lucking bully (bonus points for being the same bad guy in Karate Kid!)
- An annoying younger brother with too much testerone
- A former nerd that comes out of his shell to become a cool guy
- A girl that pretends to be a boy
- Innocent buy life-altering nudity
- A climatic prom scene
- Obvious adults playing teenagers
- Parents are away the entire time
- A kicken 1980's soundtrack!

Really..."Just One of the Guys" is too perfect to not have been already mentioned.

Posted by: David | March 24, 2006 3:32 PM | Report abuse

i definitely agree with lots of the suggestions i've read! "footloose" has been a hit with my 18-yr old students, who can sing both the theme song and "almost paradise"

...what about some possibly more obscure choices such as ....
ladyhawke with a young michelle pfeiffer (and a groovy synthesizer soundtrack that doesn't at all go with the medieval-times setting :))
outland (sci-fi/cop movie with sean connery)
blade runner (harrison ford)
henry V (by shakespeare, with kenneth branagh - awesome soundtrack by patrick doyle who just did the newest "harry potter" soundtrack)
enjoy!

Posted by: t arnold | March 24, 2006 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe no one mentioned some of the greatest movies of ALL TIME - "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return Of The Jedi"!

Posted by: Chris | March 24, 2006 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Uh, I wouldn't call the Star Wars movies "teen" movies...Maybe others feel the same?

Posted by: 80's Child | March 27, 2006 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I want my two dollars. (10 points to the first person who gets the movie)

Posted by: Bones | March 28, 2006 9:33 AM | Report abuse

i can't believe somebody here remembered the movie Reckless. they filmed a good portion of the movie at my high school in ohio, and i watched some filming between classes. we were warned after the movie came out that it wasn't suitable for teens to watch. it had a great soundtrack. too bad it's not on netflix, i'd like to watch it again.

Posted by: mingo | March 28, 2006 11:25 AM | Report abuse

For Bones: Better off Dead,
Lane Meyer's newspaper delivery boy

Posted by: Lisa | March 28, 2006 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, you're my new hero. I'll even give you 20 points.

Posted by: Bones | March 29, 2006 3:51 PM | Report abuse

On the sanitizing of history by removing cigarettes: In addition to Lamb Chop, Hush Puppy, and Charley Horse, when I was a kid (late 50s~60s) Shari Lewis also had a fourth character named Crowie on one of her TV programs, who was indeed a BLACK CROW. I didn't recall the puppet's voice or characterization, so a few years ago I tried to learn more about the character by googling him. Nothing! I began to wonder if I had just imagined such a Shari Lewis puppet until I saw on E-Bay a not-too-clear photo of the cover of an old (1960s) Shari Lewis book for children that had all four characters pictured there. It seems there has been a very thorough and successful campaign-at least since the advent of the internet--to expunge Crowie from the public record. I DO understand why . . . sort of . . . but it had me thinking for a while that I had been inventing a fictional childhood for myself.

Posted by: Jim Martinez | March 30, 2006 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I was a "head" in high school. "Pretty in Pink" and "Breakfast Club" just did not fit with that ethic. My favorites were "Rumble Fish" and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". Rumble Fish is one of the few movies I can watch more than once in a year.

Posted by: Steve Dimig | March 31, 2006 7:45 AM | Report abuse