Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 03/22/2006

All the Right Movies

By Liz Kelly

Recently, when discussing potential blog names with new washingtonpost.com blogger Ben Domenech, the name "Red Dawn" was jokingly suggested (we ended up with the markedly different "Red America"). Ben then proceeded to explain, in somewhat sacred tones, that "Red Dawn" is not only a cheesy '80s Patrick Swayze/C. Thomas Howell flick (Wolverines!), but also one of the right's most-beloved films.

(Courtesy MGM)

That's right. "Red Dawn" is on a list of "100 Best Conservative Movies" compiled by the National Review way back in 1994. A list preceded by an explanation of why the "Star Wars" trilogy heralded a return to conservative ideals in Hollywood. I wonder if they'd be as quick to claim the latest three offerings in the franchise, up to and including Jar Jar Binks.

Criteria for inclusion on this list are defined as expected: movies about "God and country," tradition, family, communism = evil, etc. Big surprise that many of the movies cited as beacons of conservative values were made before 1950.

Note: I'm having a hard time decoding what exactly about some of the films makes them distinctly conservative -- for instance, "Little Women" is categorized under "Best Pictures Celebrating Family Life," "My Left Foot" under "Best Picture About Personal Achievement Against Heavy Odds" and "Ghostbusters" under "Best Portrait of a U.S. Government Bureaucrat." These categories could really do wonders for the Academy Awards. I really started feeling played, though, when I came across categories for "Best Conservative Animal Pictures" ("Dumbo" and "the Yearling," fyi) and "Ronald Reagan's Greatest Movies."

My real question, though, after reviewing the relatively predictable list is: what if a movie meets the criteria above, but is still just plain bad? Take, for example, "Red Dawn" (co-written by "Waterworld" scribe Kevin Reynolds). It wasn't even believable when it premiered in 1984, during the height of the Cold War. Eight high school kids turning back the tide of a communist invasion? And not just any high school kids, but card-carrying brat packers Swayze, Howell, Lea Thompson and Charlie Sheen.

This list was fun to dissect, but really, 12 years is a long time and many movies have been made in the intervening years -- "Cheaper by the Dozen" and "Team America: World Police" are crying out for categorization. It's time for an update.

Interesting Tidbit Update: Thanks to colleague Dawn for pointing out that "Red Dawn" was the first movie released with a PG-13 rating (though the first movie given a PG-13 rating was "The Flamingo Kid").

By Liz Kelly  | March 22, 2006; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Miscellaneous
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Chef Returns to 'South Park'; New Book Focuses on First Lady
Next: Morning Mix: Sharon & Sharon Edition

Comments

Need to fix release date for Red Dawn. You say both 1984 and 1994, so it's a little confusing.

Also, "is" should be "are" in the sentence that begins w/ "criteria." Criteria is plural; the singular is criterion.

Posted by: Picky, picky | March 22, 2006 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Since when was believability a sine qua non for a movie? Bruce Willis, Steven Segal and the Govenator would be scratching their heads at that one.

Posted by: Stick | March 22, 2006 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Don't knock Red Dawn! I am a card-carrying liberal, but I was of a certain age when it was released and I loved it in the way only a 12 year old boy can love a film about high school football players and Powers Booth killing russians and sleeping with Lea Thompson can.

I don't see how conservatives can like it though, it portrays the Cuban Colonel as sympathetic to the plight of the Americans. He's not universally one-dimensional and evil.

Posted by: Will | March 22, 2006 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Picky.

The release date for "Red Dawn" was 1984. 1994 is when the National Review released their list of top conservative films.

Posted by: Liz | March 22, 2006 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I was shocked to read Domenech's comments yesterday. Clearly, whoever suggested "Red Dawn" as a title to his column was not "of a certain age" (i.e., not a kid in the 80s).

I understand why conservatives celebrate the basic premise of the movie (although I imagine if you went through the movie line-by-line, you would probably find all kinds of unconservative offenses), but I think most kids from the 80s remember it fondly. It was a good teen-centric fantasy more than a conservative statement. A lot of movies coming out of Hollywood (esp. during the 80s) are surprisingly more "conservative" than you would expect, given the GOP's propensity for railing against the liberalism of the business.

Um, "Gremlins" as an anti-Japanese tirade, anyone?

Posted by: Red Dawn | March 22, 2006 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Is there a list of 100 Best Liberal Movies? If so, where would one find such a list?

Posted by: Enquiring minds | March 22, 2006 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Good question re: the liberal movies. Maybe we should compile a list and I'll post it here tomorrow...?

Posted by: Liz | March 22, 2006 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Thanks to Will for that pithy and accurate characterization of conservative thought. You're either with us or against, after all. But my stars...do we have to go here...RED films and BLUE films??? I'm so sick of this!!

Posted by: Kim | March 22, 2006 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Growing up in the 1980s, I loved Red Dawn, and am now a card-carrying liberal. As Will says, the Soviet proxy fighters (Nicaraguans a day's march from Mexico?) are portrayed somewhat sympathetically, and certainly show sympathy for the "Wolverines." Looking back on it, the film did probably serve the fevered delusions wingnuts.

Posted by: MD Progressive | March 22, 2006 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Explain to Dawn that "Flamingo Kid" was the first movie to get a PG-13 as its 'first' MPAA rating. "Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom" was the first movie to get a PG-13, albeit retroactively. It was also the film that got the "PG-13" ball rolling, and it received one first.

Posted by: Jerry | March 22, 2006 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I grew up in rural Maryland and Red Dawn had a profound impact on many of us. We could identify with many of the characters and the Cold War was still a reality. In a way, that movie helped us grow up and realize that the World was bigger than just our county. We knew it was a fantasy movie but it also got us thinking, “What if that happened? Could/would I do that?” The answer was a resounding YES we would.

The move spoke to the rural sprit of the heartland of this country. While I’m sure that our leaders and the liberals of the country would cave in if threatened, there are those of us that would literally fight to the death to defend out homes.

I would also like to mention a few other movies that should be on this list:

Best pro-Gun scenes:
The Last of the Mohican. When our hero uses a black powder rifle to clear a path by shooting moving targets at over 100 yards.
Patton. Shooting at an attacking plane with a handgun? What could be more macho?
Red Dawn. Teenagers with AK-47s and Anti-Tank rockets.

Best red-neck family movie:
Next of Kin.

Posted by: Charlie | March 22, 2006 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Red Dawn sucked, plain and simple. Bad acting, bad script and bad plot.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 22, 2006 12:17 PM | Report abuse

if you must continue the division of red and blue and post a top list of movies for blue staters - the question is- how do you break the tie for number 1 between "Farhenheit 911" (or any other Michael Moore movie) and "brokeback mountain"?

Posted by: nan | March 22, 2006 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Once again, a Post reporter (used in a very loose sense here) writes an article without doing the most minimal backgroud research, i.e., watching the movie. If you had actually watched Red Dawn, you would not have characterized it as "Eight high school kids TURNING BACK THE TIDE of a communist invasion." The movie doesn't claim they saved the nation, and only portrayed them as guerilla fighters disrupting the efforts of an occupying force. If have had done any more research, you might have learned the historical basis of that kind of action in our country, such as Francis Marion in the Revolutionary War or Mosby Rangers in the Civil War (albeit on the losing side). Of course, such effort probably shouldn't be expected from someone who compiles links to day-old gossip, especially when the clear purpose of the piece was to make conservatives looks stupid for listing a cheesy movie on a Top 100 list.

Posted by: Al | March 22, 2006 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow -- Al sure takes movies with Lea Thompson seriously. I was going to say something about Howard the Duck, but I'll hold my peace.

Posted by: Brian | March 22, 2006 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I remember watching Red Dawn with a conservative friend, who remarked something about how the idea of fighting the invading Russians stirred his patriotic feelings.

I responded that it made me think what it must feel like to have one's homeland overrun by foreign troops, and that maybe we could better understand why America's intereventions abroad are not necessarily welcome (this was before the Iraq war, I was thinking of Vietnam at the time).

My point is that this film, like most, can be interpreted in many different ways.

Posted by: Thor | March 22, 2006 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Methinks "Al" doth protest too much. Especially considering that the kids did turn back the tide of invasion with respect to their community. Not that it matters.

Why would anyone feel threatened by another pointing out that "...conservatives looks [sic] stupid for listing a cheesy movie on a Top 100 list."?

Posted by: NotAl | March 22, 2006 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I am over 65 and first saw this movie this weekend--what a coincidence. I like Thor's comment. I can't say much for the movie and spent most of it trying to figure out if they were really in Colorado and where--maybe Grand Mesa around Grand Junction?

Posted by: DonaD | March 22, 2006 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I enjoyed Red Dawn, but it really is not a very good movie. When I went and looked at the list I saw that Animal Farm was also on it. As Orwell is well known for his extreme left wing politics, the irony is just off the charts with this one. What were they thinking?

Posted by: Ash | March 22, 2006 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I believe "Ghost Busters" won "Best Portrait of a U.S. Government Bureaucrat" based mostly on the performance of William Atherton as Walter Peck, the pencil-pushing "pencil-neck" EPA henchman, who shuts down the power grid releasing all the ghosts from the containment unit. The movie was made back in the day before conservatives were fans of big government or environmental causes.

Posted by: Emil Steiner | March 22, 2006 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I wonder given some of their rationales for movies inclusions if American Psycho should be listed as a great movie of the left. It is odd that Red America was chosen for the blog, at first I thought it would be communist.

Posted by: Chris M | March 22, 2006 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Patton would probably be better than Red Dawn, for what some may define as smart conservative ideals. But Dumbo? The film is about racism " elephants have no feelings they are made of rubber...". Of course the world was created by Reagan in the eighth decade, and the overwhelming sentiment is conformity now so I don't see how any movie depicting individuality can be seen as conservative and not the victimism spouted by the Bundt.

Posted by: wej86 | March 22, 2006 1:36 PM | Report abuse

"Um, "Gremlins" as an anti-Japanese tirade, anyone?"

Umm, unless you consider the fact that the Mogwi (sp?) was taken from a Chinese man in Chinatown and that China and Japan are two separate countries with different languages and cultures. Nice try though.

Posted by: Chinese and Japanese not the Same | March 22, 2006 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Have to wonder if "My Son John", an extremely cheesy "Red Scare" movie from the early 50s made the list. In it, the "smart" son (John) goes off to work at the State Department and becomes seduced by "Commie ideology." It included such wonderful scenes as John being very condescending to the local priest after Sunday services (he had obviously become an athiest) and a truly great scene wherein the Reds gun John down Mafia-style on the steps of the Capitol after he sees the error of his ways and decides that God, Motherhood, Apple pie, and all that is good about America is not worth abandoning. The movie could easily have been written by Senator Joe McCarthy, give all its heavyhandedness. I'm not sure if it is available in VHS or DVD, but definitely worth watching as a great period piece. (PS - The acting is abominable, even though I think helen hayes is in it.)

Posted by: es175 | March 22, 2006 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Two observations:

Re Dumbo:

Dumbo comes to learn of his ability to fly after having gotten drunk and waking up in a tree. There, he awakes to a conversation with a group of "black" crows that sound like Amos and Andy. Excellent messages there for the kids. I guess I can see how the racist theme is consistent with conservative thought, but acheivement through substance abuse? Not so much.

Re Rambo:

I haven't seen any of those "MIA/POW" movies since I was in high school, but as I recall, my overall impression was that all of those movies speak to the point that many soldiers in the U.S. military have been let down by the government despite their sacrifices. In First Blood, for example, John Rambo gets harassed by the local police department of a small rural town for no reason other than the fact that he is an outsider. They presume he's trouble, but he is actually just in town to visit a war buddy. The war Rambo declares upon the town is the result of a combination of his tortured memories from the Vietnam war and the injustices he is now experiencing in America. In part II, Rambo goes back to Vietnam to rescue POW's who were left behind, and ends up getting screwed over somehow by his commanding officer. I don't remember much from that movie, other than the end where Rambo holds the bastard against his desk in a position threatening to ram his survival knife through the commander's skull. Being the moral better of the two, Rambo says something momentous and cheesey like "Mission Accomplished!" then drives his knife into the desk next to the guy's head, sparing his wretched life. (Do I remember that correctly?) What I take home from the Rambo series is, war changes a person in ways that conflict with normal life in America, and the US government not only does little or nothing to support the transition, but it also creates new problems for these folks. Not a very great message for the conservatives right now, during a time when they are trying to ramp up to another war in Iran after support for the current one in Iraq has tanked.

Posted by: Reader1000 | March 22, 2006 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Even given its implausible premise, "Red Dawn" is the reason that no conservatives should be surprised about the current situation in Iraq.
See if this sounds familiar: A country is invaded by a foreign army, which begins locking up large groups of locals. A band of nationalists heads for the rural country then begins attacking military convoys, sneaking back into town to blow things up (including a social club) and killing members of their own who rat them out. For this, they are lionized as heroes.
Gee, sound familiar?

Posted by: kcw | March 22, 2006 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Ohmigosh, don't bash Red Dawn! Let's criticize movies with the time period they were made in mind, non? That, and love watching the brat packers when they were still good looking. I an a card-carrying liberal,and even was when i was a pre-teen watching this movie for the first time. But we still loved it - bc it is about teenagers not being able to rely on adults. Not the greatest acting or script, but that isn't why we loved the Outsiders either. Its portrayal of the Soviets was ridiculous even at the time, but that really wasn't the point for all us teeny boppers who were watching it.

Posted by: Wolverine | March 22, 2006 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Re: kcw's comment. You left out: foreign army executing dozens of locals, especially teachers. That expecially sounds like Iraq. And by the way, it's not a social club that the Swayze and co. blew up; it was a Soviet-American "Friendship Center." Needless to say, the comparisons between Red Dawn and Iraq are silly and not as clever as you think.

Posted by: tw | March 22, 2006 3:03 PM | Report abuse

The conservative cred for Red Dawn is due to John Milius, who took substantial pains to get the hardware right- the rest of the Rambo+Breakfast Club plot is a producer's formula for mid 80's BO success. But why is it that liberals, with the exception of Stephen Hunter (is he an exception?) know nothing of firearms and military paraphernalia? Or why do conservatives lavish such attention on the same? I know no better one-parameter political personality measure than knowledge of, and interest in, weapons and military technology.

Posted by: rex carpenter | March 22, 2006 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Red Dawn and Gremlins both hit the theaters with PG-13 ratings on the same day and, technicalites aside, I think were the first two screened to the public in theaters as such.

Posted by: ac | March 22, 2006 3:20 PM | Report abuse

What a waste of time. Movies are like Spring Training. They're not real!

Posted by: Ho Hum | March 22, 2006 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Some "Best Liberal Movies" suggestions....

1) Dr. Strangelove;
2) The Grapes of Wrath;
3) All the President's Men;
4) A Few Good Men;
5) Good Night, and Good Luck;

Posted by: JB | March 22, 2006 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Keep in mind that Red Dawn, which I also enjoyed then and in several subsequent viewings, was made not long after the Societs had invaded Afghanistan and used Cuban troops as surrogates in Angola -- so it wasn't much of a stretch at all for the times.

Posted by: Okie | March 22, 2006 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I forget to mention it in my other post. After Red Dawn, all of us self-respecting, “red-blooded”, All-American, Red-Necks had to show just how “red-blooded” we were by drinking deer blood from one that we took down ourselves. Quite a lot of guys from my high school who had never hunted or even shot a gun, learned how and got themselves a deer just to say they did and to drink its blood.

Those of use who were really hard core, had to one up the others by eating the still-warm livers.

Both of these traditions are alive and well back home. Boys as young as 10 or 12 are drinking the blood of their first kill.

I had completely forgotten that all that started from that movie.

Say what you will but drinking that blood or eating that liver was a prize well earned and you certainly didn’t feel like a kid anymore. It was a rite of passage. That fall a lot of us grew up.

And yes, all those guys are very, conservative right now. Some of use are now CEOs or other successful people and still proudly call our selves red-necks. I live in the ‘big city’ and you wouldn’t know this of me if you sat beside me in a board room. But, I can still blast a groundhog at 300 yards. (Only their head show above ground. Think of it as hitting a softball on the ground 3 football fields away.) And I can still make fire buy rubbing some dry words together.

After 9/11 my wife asked me what we would do if DC was hit. I said, all I need to do is get to the mountains. I don’t need fancy survival gear. A knife would be nice and boots would be great but all I need to do is get there.

Posted by: Charlie | March 22, 2006 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Charlie is either a very good creative writer, or a guy I want to hang with if the Big One ever goes off.

Posted by: JB | March 22, 2006 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Do these liberals really carry cards? What do they look like?

Posted by: chaz | March 22, 2006 4:13 PM | Report abuse

American Express

Posted by: Lib | March 22, 2006 4:36 PM | Report abuse

JB,

Thanks for the kind words. I never thought of myself as a creative writer though I’d love to be one.

If the big one really hit I for one will NOT be headed for the hills. This may ID me but I am also a Red Cross Disaster Volunteer and while I could run for the hills, I will only do so as part of a strategic withdraw or as an ‘advance to the rear’. Heading for the hills would only happen if civil order completely breaks down.

No, I’ll be up front in the thick of things wearing a big Red Cross on my back.

You are welcome to join me there.

Though if you DO see me running for the hills, try and keep up!

Posted by: Charlie | March 22, 2006 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Rex said: "I know no better one-parameter political personality measure than knowledge of, and interest in, weapons and military technology."

I have always held a deep interest in military history and technology, including holding films, books, etc. to high standards of accuracy. After college, I joined the all-volunteer Army and served with 10th Special Forces Group. I was Airborne with numerous jumps and am proud of having maintained an "expert" rating with the M-16 series rifle throughout my service time.

I am also a liberal, and have never voted for a Republican for national office.

Posted by: David | March 22, 2006 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Amex? Liberal? Hell no! I love my Platinum and my Executive cards. I can't wait to be able to get a Centurion.

Obviously, a card caring red-neck and conservative has just one card and it says N-R-A.

Posted by: Charlie | March 22, 2006 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I think Red Dawn was filmed in and around Ft. Collins, Co. I went to school out there and I remember taking a hike and seeing a sign for The Roosevelt national forest that reminded me of a scene from the movie. That town is so social, I was almost convinced the Soviets had won. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Ft. Collins I mean.

Posted by: lamarilium | March 22, 2006 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Bragging about killing a deer and drinking its blood? Awesome. You really saved yourself there. The deer may have looked at you....and done something other than run away.

For this, we protect the sanctity of the second amendment: So future CEOs can kill deer, drink their blood, and brag about their super-cool mountain survival skills. Dork.

Posted by: David G | March 22, 2006 5:07 PM | Report abuse

TW: You're actually trying to make a distinction between "social club" and "friendship center"? Please. You have to nit-pick down that far?

No, U.S. troops (God bless 'em, keep 'em safe) have not been accused of shooting civilians alongside the road, ala "Red Dawn" - oh, wait, they have been. Read the headlines lately? It's probably not true, but do you think that will matter to the insurgents, or to the Iraqis in the street?

The point: In this age, any nation occupied by a foreign army will produce those who fight back by any means available, including bombings and ambushes. "Red Dawn" got that right, and should have given the hawks a clue.

Posted by: kcw | March 22, 2006 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I now have a mental image of a young Hannibal Lecter in the forest...attired in tasteful neon-plaid hunting gear...perhaps wearing a hat with ear flaps...standing over a fresh kill...and outclassing all his uncouth high school chums by first preparing a side dish of fava beans and opening a nice chianti before tearing into his deer's still-warm liver.

Posted by: Gozar | March 22, 2006 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Three Days of the Condor
Do the Right Thing
Gandhi
Dazed and Confused
JFK
Lone Star
Okay, I'll stop, but liberals make better movies than conservatives.

Posted by: Scott | March 22, 2006 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow, um, guys? It's just a list. You know, for fun. I doubt the editors at NR took it this seriously when they were compiling it.

But what the heck, since it's caused an argument, I might as well stir up the pot. Mr. Smith is obviously a conservative movie. The boy's camp was to be paid for by contributions from the boys, not through taxes levied on the general public. Personal responsibility rather than waiting for the government to step in and do it? Sounds like conservatism to me. And no silly comments about fighting corruption being a "liberal" or "conservative" value. Neither honest liberals or honest conservatives endorse corruption, and both sides have plenty of dishonest people.

Posted by: Josh | March 22, 2006 7:43 PM | Report abuse

There must be some mistake. These 'conservative' movies couldn't possibly have come from 'liberal' Hollywood. ;-)

Posted by: (Another) Scott | March 22, 2006 8:54 PM | Report abuse

I find it instructive that the list of "100 Best Conservative Movies" compiled by the National Review is bereft of comedies. I've found most people espousing conservative points of view to be wound more than a little tight, but not a single worthy comedy in 60 years? George Will points out in his column of February 23rd that conservatives are happier that liberals. While I admit that after reading the column, dumb and happy was among my first thoughts, how much credence do you give to folks who can’t find any humor in life? Rhetorical question!

Posted by: Kurt | March 22, 2006 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Liz,

Your inital blog entry said that you went to Washington-Lee in Arlington. We are kinda neighbors because I went to high school in Fairfax County. My high school was merged with another in the early '80s. The authorities chose a new name for the school and the students chose the nickname. The nickname they chose was courtesy of this dreadful, yet popular, movie. Thus was created the West Potomac Wolverines.

Posted by: pj | March 22, 2006 10:36 PM | Report abuse

...and thus were rendered extinct the mighty Fort Hunt Federals.

Posted by: Gozar | March 22, 2006 11:29 PM | Report abuse

uh, my recollection was that Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was the first movie bestowed with a PG-13 rating and in fact the rating was developed for the movie specifically as a compromise so that it didn't have to carry an R.

Posted by: countertop | March 23, 2006 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Scott, terrific list of liberal movies.

I guess the final list could be amended to include most Robert Redford movies since "The Sting" ( "Brubaker", "Electric Horseman",etc).

Posted by: JB | March 23, 2006 10:22 AM | Report abuse

To Kill a Mockingbird. Must see and should be at or near the top of the list.

Posted by: Stafford | March 23, 2006 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Kurt-

Groundhog day is a conservative comedy.

Posted by: Josh | March 23, 2006 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Josh:

In the spirit of breaking the nasty mindless partisan gridlock that is handcuffing our national (non) leaders, let us agree to claim Mr. Smith Goes to Washington as a great American movie, regardless of political labels, and further agree that if just one of our senators were to ever act with one iota of the integrity, idealism and sincerity that Jimmy Stewart brings to Jefferson Smith, that the nation would rally to him or her as one.

Posted by: Scott | March 23, 2006 1:33 PM | Report abuse

What about Gentleman's Agreement (1947) starring Gregory Peck and directed by Elia Kazan?

Posted by: Smith00 | March 23, 2006 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey Rex Carpenter, I'm a liberal who is very familiar with guns. I knew, at the time of the filmmaking that the russian helicopters were not Mi-24 Hinds, but the closest approximation available at the time and that an RPG would have to be incredibly lucky to take one down.
Just because we liberals don't see the need for such guns doesn't mean we don't know how to use them. That's the same mistake that got alan rickman's character killed at the end of 'Quigley Down Under'.

Posted by: Will | March 23, 2006 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Charlie said:

"And I can still make fire buy rubbing some dry words together. "

I think he just revealed the entire Conservative political strategy. :-)

Posted by: Will | March 23, 2006 4:53 PM | Report abuse

For those thinking that the Iraqi insurgents are only defending their country from the alien invader, do you think that German soldiers in 1945 were the moral equivalent of the Americans? After all, they were defending their homeland, too.

Posted by: Annandale | March 23, 2006 9:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm betting little Ben's favorite Patrick Swayze movie is actually "To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar." Draw your own conclusions.

Posted by: An Observer | March 24, 2006 10:39 AM | Report abuse

So, ummm, please let's back off Red Dawn... it was my 2nd favorite after War Games as a good American Boy. Comparisons with the war in Iraq are just silly-- I was in Iraq, I should know. Red Dawn and the brat pack movies were so much fun-- which was exactly the point of making them. Statements they were making? Well, maybe that honesty, honor and loyalty are important-- those aren't exactly conservative ideals these days (see Dick Cheney, Scooter Libby, Karl Rove, Tom Delay, etc...).

So leave Red Dawn alone-- especailly if you were over 18 when it came out!

Posted by: 80's child | March 24, 2006 10:51 AM | Report abuse