Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 03/24/2006

Lindsay Lohan, Wonder Wha?

By Liz Kelly

Wonder Woman Lynda Carter (left, courtesy Warner Bros.) and Not-Wonder-Woman Lindsay Lohan (Getty Images).

Lindsay Lohan has done something very irresponsible. In an interview that has been floating around the blogosphere for several months, she tossed off a comment about her desire play Wonder Woman (which has a chance of being cool since Joss Whedon is attached to write, despite my aversion to remakes).

Why exactly, Lindsay?

"Wonder Woman would be cool... I'm trying to find roles right now that are different to anything I've done to show my abilities, to show that I have some sort of stretch in me. Because most of the things that I've done so far are aimed at younger girls and are light-hearted."

A answer a bit closer to the truth probably would have been "I want to wear a really hot superhero costume and high-heeled red boots and kick some bad guy [expletive]," but the deep, multi-faceted "Wonder Woman" (she has two really different outfits, okay) would certainly be a change from Lohan's recent credits, all three remakes of Disney kid flicks: "Parent Trap," "Freaky Friday," "Herbie Fully Loaded."

Still, she must be stopped before the studio starts taking her offer seriously.

Is "Wonder Woman" enough of a stretch to get her where she wants to go, artistically speaking, anyway? What has the superheroine aura done for others?

Jennifer Garner was rumored to be the next Hollywood "it" girl when she released the ill-fated "Daredevil" spin-off "Elektra." Oscar winner Halle Berry's career took a hit when "Catwoman" was released to scathing reviews and netted Berry a worst performance Razzie. (Note the IMdb featured reader comment on "Catwoman": "Man ALIVE, this movie sucked." Me-oww.) Though it should be stated that Berry did somewhat redeem herself as the "X-Men" franchise's Storm.

If Lindsay's looking to stretch, she should stay away from "Wonder Woman." Lynda Carter and her Playboy-Bunny-red-gold-and-blue get-up have that role forever locked up. Perhaps we can interest her in another, different, yet-to-be-portrayed superheroine?

By Liz Kelly  | March 24, 2006; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Miscellaneous, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Tilton Says Simpson No Lucy Ewing
Next: Morning Mix: Summer Wedding for Aniston/Vaughn?

Comments

Liz...
You are gonna get slayed (hehe) for this if not corrected quickly. It's Joss Whedon, not Josh. :)

Otherwise, thanks for the fun.

Posted by: Rob | March 24, 2006 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I'll keep an eye out for Linda Carter (she lives here in the DC area) at my local Starbucks and poll her opinion...

Posted by: mark | March 24, 2006 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Lindsay Lohan as Wonder Woman ... Lindsay in her nipple-slip phase or her anorexia phase?

Posted by: Coogie | March 24, 2006 11:07 AM | Report abuse

You are a lot of fun, Liz, or, as Gene would say, Lizzie. I don't know anyone else who knows where to find a list of superheroines . . . or anyone who would think to look for one.

Posted by: THS | March 24, 2006 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Lindsay Lohan does not have natural black hair or the skin color that goes with it. She would suck as Wonder Woman.

Posted by: Aamir Ali | March 24, 2006 11:51 AM | Report abuse

NOOOOOOOOO. No stick thin, anorexia girls. Wonder Woman above all is a WOMAN. We need a brunette with REAL curves. Zeta Jones is my choice

Posted by: tknisely | March 24, 2006 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Oh dear lord - make it stop! My fingers are crossed that the studio will favor a good ACTRESS over a popular tabloid girl who's not even a proven cash cow.

Posted by: dancerindc | March 24, 2006 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Oh, good grief, PLEASE not Lindsay Lohan! That would SO not be cool. Now, if they're looking for Amazon material, my vote is Katherine Heigl (from Grey's Anatomy, Roswell, etc.). Dye that auburn hair of hers, and we're good to go! :-)

Posted by: InTheGenes | March 24, 2006 1:23 PM | Report abuse

That little anorexic stick-girl as Wonder Woman????

Perish the thought.

Posted by: Nachise | March 24, 2006 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Clearly, Lohan would be all wrong as Wonder Woman. But mostly I came to dispute that Halle Berry in any way redeemed herself as Storm; she's lousy in the X-Men movies, she's just surrounded by terrific actors and they write her role so that her lack of ability doesn't get in the way (same with Rebecca Romajn); as a result, no one complains about her. But it sure shouldn't enhance her superheroine rep.

Posted by: Sheila | March 24, 2006 1:50 PM | Report abuse

The scriptwriters write her role that way, I mean. Not the actors. Er, not to my knowledge anyway.

Posted by: Sheila | March 24, 2006 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the opinion that LL shouldn't play it IF she is still anorexic. If she puts on ten pounds, then suit her up. I was a Dukes of Hazzard fan, and sticking Jessica Simson in those shorts was appreciated by straight men across the country. If you read this Lindsay, I'll take you for a couple five guys burgers and get your curves back....

Posted by: DC | March 24, 2006 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Everyone has bad things to say about Lindsay, but not me! Ever since she was on the cover of that magazine describing her ordeal with anorexia, I've thought that she is hot! If anorexia made her super thin (yet with nice juggs), I for one would say skip a few meals again! More vacuous women should follow her example.

She is a commodity, so she should aspire to be the best looking piece of flesh that she can be. As starving, vomiting, prescription diet drugs, and just plain old self loathing are what it takes to get a righteous body, Ms. Lohan is a professional plying her trade.

Posted by: Tom Canick | March 24, 2006 2:01 PM | Report abuse

LL as WW? Puh-leeze. Just say no. Lynda Carter has that role locked up. No one will ever be as sexy as her in those gold bracelets. And Lynda in her 50s is still sexier than Lohan will EVER be.

Posted by: Bubbles | March 24, 2006 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Why cant Linda Carter be Wonder Woman?

If you look at her life, she really is Wonder Woman. Behind the scenes, she has had one heck of a life that would be worthy of Wonder Woman.

And on top of that, she STILL looks fantastic .

Posted by: kme | March 24, 2006 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Can we resolve the Catwoman issue once and for all? Was it the best movie? No.

However, it did break ground. It was the first major comic book movie where women played the central roles (hero and villain). 'Elektra' doesn't count because there were male superhumans in the movie too.

The reality is that critics and moviegoers couldn't handle, or are not accustomed to, seeing women in roles where we normally see men. Apparently, we would rather have women in tight spandex, posing quietly.

Posted by: Senacle | March 24, 2006 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I saw this the other day and laughed....because the first thing that ran through my mind was that I just couldn't picture Lindsay Lohan working in the Whedon-verse (at least in her current incarnation - maybe the "Mean Girls" flavor of Lindsay could do it).

Joss Whedon will find someone who can actually kick-butt to fill the role, and I seriously doubt it would be Lindsay Lohan, who looks as if she could be snapped in half by a strong wind.

Posted by: DC Expat | March 24, 2006 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Item #1: Halle Berry is only as good as her writer and director. She doesn't have the chops to lift a role above the mundane. She's like a condiment for good actors, complimenting the main dish.
Item #2: Jennifer Garner was the only decent thing about "Electra," and she was fairly one dimensional. Bad script, weak direction and laughable special effects. The camerawork was pretty good, actually.
Item #3: I can't see a lightweight like Lindsey Lohan actually being capable of even pulling in the legions of fan-boys who'll see anything comics related or written by Joss Whedon. Besides, he writes such strong roles for women, he'd probably rather have this movie directed by "Alan Smithee" if the studio pushes her onto him.

Posted by: Charles | March 24, 2006 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Both Elektra and Wonder Woman are greek.

Not having greek looking women to play them in the current a-list is a slight problem.

For Elektra it was a huge problem, that and Jenny Garner seems way too nice and too heavily resembled the Black Widow, another great Daredevil charachter.

Wonder woman is also not supposed to age, so as much as I love Catherine Zeta Jones, she does look like she ages occasionally, even if she goes back to fix it.

So, I'm thinking someone new might be a great idea. And she should be Greek, but not necessarily tall as much as imposing in presence.
Every man on any football team should be aware of why they should bend to her will even before the magic lasso appears.
It seems too much to ask of Lindsay Lohan.

Posted by: Diana | March 24, 2006 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Diana, two words: Morena Baccarin.

When Joss was first tapped for Wonder Woman, her name was batted around. And then of course, shot down. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though.

Posted by: Dena | March 24, 2006 9:35 PM | Report abuse

If a skinny girl should be Wonder Woman, I vote for the actress Summer Glau, that Joss Whedon cast for "River" in Firefly.
She looks 12 when she's standing still, but oh my goodness, she is gorgeous when she moves and fights. And she cleans up better than she did in Firefly, judging from her offical site:

Kind of like Kung-Fu ballet. If I was Joss I'd find a way to cast Summer Glau, like he has in the past.

But if she's not Wonder Woman they'll have a job finding somebody who can slay her in a fight scene. And it won't be an A-list actress.

Posted by: Wilbrod | March 25, 2006 12:47 PM | Report abuse

It's not just my opinion on her ability to kick-buttock.

"Empire and Total Film magazines – both renowned British film magazines names Serenity as one of their top twenty films of the year. Empire also named “River versus the bar” as one of the top five fight scenes of the year."

"Summer has been voted best actress of 2005 by the readers of British sci-fi magazine SFX. Summer also placed within the top ten of the sexiest actress category."

So who is Linsday Lohan again, anyway?

Posted by: Wilbrod | March 25, 2006 12:52 PM | Report abuse