Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 04/27/2006

Spokes-Rapper's Delight

By Liz Kelly

Clean living spokes-rapper 50 Cent. (AP)

I'm not exactly sure what a "spokes-rapper" is, but I can think of no one who deserves the honor more than 50 Cent. The rapper has taken on the appellation to help judge contestants in a cooking competition aimed at preventing childhood obesity by improving teenagers' eating habits:

High school students ... are being asked to submit recipes for the most nutrient-rich school cafeteria lunch they can come up with including a main course, fruit or other healthy dessert, and to wash the meal down, their favorite variety of vitamin water. -- freelunchmoney.com

Sure the competition is sponsored by Glaceau, maker of his grape-flavored Vitamin Water drink, Formula 50 (from the drink's official Web site: "Try a dose of Formula 50... and lose the pimp cup."), but healthier school food is a pretty great cause for anyone -- whether 50 Cent or the USDA -- to champion.

Lose the pimp cup, indeed -- a message more rappers and other celebs would do well to send to their younger audiences. According to Glaceaus's Web site, for 50, drinking Vitamin Water "makes as much sense as wearing a bulletproof vest" and the spokes-rapper doesn't drink alcohol at all. (Wait a minute -- I thought we were gonna "sip Bacardi like it's my birthday." Shucks.)

Anyhow, hats off to 50 Cent, spokes-rapper of the month. When it comes to changing kids' minds about how to eat -- well, all I gotta say is, next to 50 Cent, Ronald McDonald looks like a clown.

By Liz Kelly  | April 27, 2006; 10:43 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Snoop Dogg in London Police Custody
Next: Morning Mix: O'Donnell Joins 'The View'

Comments

"Hats off to 50?" Are you serious? Have you listened to any of his music? He's the epitome of the materialistic, self-centered, studio "gangsta" rapper. Now he cares about obesity in our childern? What's next; the Klan introducing a 10-step program on racial harmony and how we can clean up our communities? And I thought "The Matrix" was just a movie...unreal.

Posted by: Steve | April 27, 2006 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Shocking! -roaj64p1

Posted by: Roy | April 27, 2006 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I consider myself a literate person, but I have no idea what this column is about, what it's trying to say, or why anyone on earth should care.

Posted by: Mr. Derp | April 27, 2006 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Re: Mr. Derp

If you "...have no idea what this column is about, what it's trying to say, or why anyone on earth should care;" why would you bother posting a comment? Let me guess, you're a rocket scientist?

Posted by: Steve | April 27, 2006 2:16 PM | Report abuse

We are all human beings that make mistakes, people can change there ways and there actions to be good, just be thankful that someone like 50 a well known rapper that the kids love "all races" is trying to show some good.
Peace!

Posted by: Miss. Chicago | April 27, 2006 4:28 PM | Report abuse

You do realize that 50 Cent is a part owner of Glaceau, don't you?

Posted by: Frogpond | April 27, 2006 4:43 PM | Report abuse

"I want some grape drink, baby!"

Posted by: Dave Chappelle | April 27, 2006 5:39 PM | Report abuse

curious though....ronald mcdonald is a clown.

Posted by: jackie dupry | April 27, 2006 5:41 PM | Report abuse

50 Cent 21 Questions
"I love you like a fat kid love cake
You know my smile i say anything to make you smile"

Ironic isn't it.

Posted by: some dude | April 27, 2006 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I think it's great. We have fat kids due to an ignorant public and a government beholden to special interests. Did you know the chemical which makes white bread white causes Diabetes?

Posted by: Nate - Miami | April 28, 2006 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I think its an excellent idea! He is the type of person who likes to take care of himself physically by working out. And he cares about others as well. He even has his own vitamin water!!

Posted by: shreena jobe | April 28, 2006 4:28 PM | Report abuse

What these rich, young, black rappers, and professional athletes, need to do is to return to their communities, their hoods, and help stop young, black men from killing each other. Our young people, especially our black males, have stopped smiling. They're angry and need love. A lot of them have young black women as parents, many choosing to have 3,4,5 babies by 3,4,5 different men, with nothing to give them but disgust and hate because they got caught up in the moment and had them in the first place. After all, children don't ask to be born, it's the choicest that we woment make. What has almost destroyed this world: white men and black women. After you get angry and blow up, think about this statement LONG AND HARD. As always, I leave you in peace.

Posted by: GingerG | May 2, 2006 3:54 PM | Report abuse

This is cool, you have to try it. I guessed 64643, and this game guessed it! See it here - http://www.funbrain.com/guess/

Posted by: Allison Trump | May 23, 2006 8:59 PM | Report abuse

There is a portal site about 50 Cent with related blog postings and web pages if anyone is interested.

Posted by: Bobby | May 27, 2006 8:03 PM | Report abuse