Posted at 8:45 AM ET, 04/ 5/2006

Morning Mix: Cruise Shares Details of Tough Childhood

By Liz Kelly

Headlines: Tom Cruise discusses tough childhood, poor treatment from dad... Beyonce Knowles reaches out to troubled Whitney Houston... David Hasselhoff seeks drug treatment for estranged wife... Garth Brooks' ex-wife kidnapped (though now safe)... Hugh Hefner apologizes to Jessica Alba for use of star's publicity shots... Group blasts Britney for hiring dwarves to entertain K-Fed... Sharon Stone suspected of trying to start a musical career... Hank Williams Jr. surrenders to Memphis authorities... Singer Gene Pitney ("The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance," "Only Love Can break the Heart") dead at 65... Indie queen Parker Posey joins cast of "Boston Legal."

Remembering: Thanks to Entertainment Weekly's Pop Watch for reminding us that Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain died 12 years ago today. Do you remember where you were? This Celebritologist was a few months away from college graduation and, like most of Generation X, pretty shaken by the news. Why does grunge somehow seem like it was all just a dream?

By Liz Kelly  | April 5, 2006; 8:45 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In Death, the Joke's on Farley
Next: All About Nicole

Comments

Kurt Cobain died *12* years ago? And you were still in *college*? (And Chris Farley died *8* years ago?) Man, I feel ancient. (No Teen Spirit for this old chook.)

Posted by: Feelin' grunge-y | April 5, 2006 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of grunge and fat funny men, didn't John Candy die around the same time as Cobain? I seem to recall being really sad about losing both a talented musician and a guy that made me laugh at the same time (which was not college, but not long after, so I'm old, but young at heart!)

Posted by: Nevermind | April 5, 2006 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I heart John Candy. Nevertire of watching Planes, Trains, and Automobiles or Uncle Buck (aka U.B.).

"I don't want to know a six-year-old who isn't a dreamer or a silly heart . . . . Take this quarter. Go downtown and have a rat gnaw that thing off your face."

Posted by: Feelin' grunge-y | April 5, 2006 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Oops! New blog item already -- looks like our John Candy party's over, Nevermind. So, never mind.

Posted by: Feelin' grunge-y | April 5, 2006 11:25 AM | Report abuse

pffff, college! I was THIRTEEN way back when kurt loder delivered the news on mtv.

Posted by: yungin | April 5, 2006 1:19 PM | Report abuse

junior year undergrad. we had to talk a friend out of (supposedly) killing himself. we walked in circles for hours in the field nearby with this friend who got more and more depressed. i remember "no one understands me" being said A LOT. but ofcourse looking back, gosh, looks like we were all there, feeling totally alone and not being understood... right next to each other.

it always makes me laugh when people talk about longing for their youth. as far as i'm concerned, it only gets better! appier.

Posted by: deva | April 5, 2006 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I too was a few months away from college graduation -- and friends of mine had just printed flyers featuring a picture of Nirvana in order to advertise some party or something. Big oops.

Posted by: Timing is everything | April 10, 2006 10:59 AM | Report abuse