Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 05/10/2006

All About Angelina

By Liz Kelly

Don't hate me because I'm most beautiful. (Photo courtesy People magazine)

Unlike some other celebs that seem to be making nothing but all the wrong moves lately (ahem), thus far 2006 seems to be the year of Angelina Jolie. The woman has been busy and, between you and me, I think it's time for a little maternity leave.

Not only was Jolie named People's Most Beautiful Person (and along with Brad, Maddox and Zahara, one-fourth of People's "Most Beautiful Family"), she's now also made the Forbes Magazine list of 10 most generous celebrities (a publicist denies Jolie and Pitt pre-sold photos of her as-yet-unborn child to People for a $3.6 million donation to UNICEF).

This isn't really an unexpected honor considering the actress has made a second career out of globe-trotting humanitarian work (she's been a United Nations Goodwill ambassador since 2001). But for this celebritologist, all the do-gooding makes it harder to whisper knowingly about vials of Billy Bob's blood, titter about lip locks with her brother, wonder about unseen tattoos and, of course, side with Jen.

Who can help but feel anything but admiration for a woman who adopts two children and works pretty tirelessly to bring help to refugees the world over? As detailed in People, "Hollywood's most dedicated humanitarian stays gorgeous inside and out."

Blech.

Maybe, though, we feel the same way we did about that girl in high school who not only led the cheerleading squad, but also dug Nirvana and took every opportunity to volunteer and was actually cool to everyone -- from jocks to rockers?

Just like Angelina, she was all things to all people. We didn't really like her. Or maybe we did. Maybe we're just jealous. Maybe we should get another tattoo, donate to a charity of our choice and shut up.

By Liz Kelly  | May 10, 2006; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Ashlee's New Nose, Britney's New Baby
Next: Morning Mix: Vince Vaughn Not Ready for Marriage, Kids

Comments

Angelina comes across as humorless and self-righteous. Just cause she tries to be a do-gooder doesn't mean she's likeable. She's admitted that she doesn't have any female friends. If she can't make friends on a personal level, why should we have to like her on a celebrity level?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 10, 2006 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I think it is because she is really so far removed from reality. In spite of her good deed, she seems disingenuous. You have to be very wary of women, or men for that matter, who have no good (platonic) friendships outside of their relationships. It points to self absorption. Plus, I think she's mentally unstable...not to mention a husband thief.

Posted by: irritated with angelina | May 10, 2006 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I think we should all appreciate and admire her generosity. I don't care about her personal life, but I recognize that she's doing ALOT more good for the world than I am. I don't know if i'll ever have $3.6 million to give to charity.

Posted by: Ali | May 10, 2006 11:14 AM | Report abuse

That girl in high school is on her 3rd marriage and has a reaaly wide ass now!

Posted by: Diane | May 10, 2006 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I suspect it's mostly jealousy. Kudos to Angelina for all the important work she does.

Posted by: Green-Eyed Monster | May 10, 2006 11:16 AM | Report abuse

just because you don't have $3.6 million doesn't mean you can't do your part for humanity. generosity should just be evaluated on a monetary level. it's senseless to criticize angelina's humanitarian help. weather you think it's sincere or not, it's still help. let her do what she's doing, and don't forget to do what you can.

Posted by: hey, haters... | May 10, 2006 11:19 AM | Report abuse

just because you don't have $3.6 million doesn't mean you can't do your part for humanity. generosity should not just be evaluated on a monetary level. it's senseless to criticize angelina's humanitarian help. weather you think it's sincere or not, it's still help. let her do what she's doing, and don't forget to do what you can.

Posted by: hey, haters... | May 10, 2006 11:20 AM | Report abuse

We like to tear our celebrities apart. It appears to make us feel better about our own mundane lives. She is beautiful, sexy, different, alluring, aloof, and quirky, but like one of the other posters said-she's doing alot more for the world than most of us. For that she deserves credit.

Posted by: Bill | May 10, 2006 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Angelina is beautiful, she obvioulsy has a generous and warm heart to give so much of herself to humanitarian efforts -- not to mention being a mom AND a celebrity. Kudos to her! And to boot, she's with one of the sexiest men alive! It sucks to be her, right? I agree with the final line of article...maybe the "haters" out there should get another tattoo, donate to a charity...and, in general just shut up.

Posted by: Grroovygrrl | May 10, 2006 11:40 AM | Report abuse

You people all need to learn how to spell! Sheesh...it's pathetic.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 10, 2006 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Angelina is great. Anybody who thinks she epitomizes the high school cheerleader everyone hated just doesn't know anything about her. Watch her Actors Studio interview sometime. She's a real person with the same kind of insecurities and passions as the rest of us--just a whole lot richer.

Posted by: judy | May 10, 2006 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm surprised that I still haven't heard anyone make the comparison before, but Angelina is just this generations Liz Taylor.
Look at it, both were the exotic beauties of their time, both with the string of ex's, both are seen as "relationship wreckers" (anyone remember when Liz took off with Eddie Fisher, leaving Debbie all alone with baby Carrie), both are known as huge humanitarians/philanthropists giving back those millions they make as a star, both are seen as "quirky" or weird.
And there's nothing wrong with any of that, otherwise the poor people at People, Hello, OK, US, etc. wouldn't have a job.

Posted by: Angie=Liz | May 10, 2006 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Angelina was much more interesting before she took up with that lunkhead Ken Doll ("turn the ball cap around already, you're approaching middle-age!"). Actors as a rule are soooo boring. It's all the narcissism & self-absorption. At least she uses her celebrity for some good, whether or not it's all in her calculated self-interest which I suspect.

Posted by: starjaded | May 10, 2006 11:46 AM | Report abuse

She is obviously a good mother. You NEVER see kids with nannies. She is always holding them in her arms, travels with them and even picks them up from school. I like that she is present with them, also that she has adopted 2 third world babies and that capaigns for human rights issues.
Of course we are not really interested in the issues, just in her involvement with them.
She is exotic, erotic and unique. Plus she has an Oscar and Brad Pitt.
I think people are jealous.

Posted by: wilde | May 10, 2006 11:50 AM | Report abuse

As long as she is doing something to better our world, who gives a rats ass about her personal life.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 10, 2006 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Alot of people do good and are not recognized in the least. Angelina is a very disturbed and wierd young lady. Come on people, drinking and sharing blood with Billy Boob Bob, french kissing her own brother... Hello... has anyone got a clue in this??? I pray one day she will get her life straightened out.

Posted by: MARLENE | May 10, 2006 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I think that all celebrities should steer clear of politics. They're so far removed from reality, it's impossible for them to really know of hardships. Big hearts come from hardships, not big wallets. Do you see any 9 to 5ers running off to Africa? We all have the heart to do it - just not the money and time.

Angelina Jolie is beautiful, of course (minus those freakish lips). But, what I dislike about Ms. Jolie is that she sticks her nose into D.C. affairs - tells Congress we need to spend more and help more on this 'n that cause... Do you know where this "help" comes from? You and me! Taxes. Sure, it's easy for Brangelina to cruise around the world (now w/ buddy, Clooney) and tell us what we should be doing. Must be easy to do that living in L.A. in mansions, deciding how to spend your gajillions of dollars. But, in a way, I don't envy that one bit 'cause I think that's actually a very empty life... Perhaps that explains all this do-gooder stuff in Hollywood??? I do not see a "Most Beautiful Woman." I see anguish and arrogance.

Posted by: The Kat | May 10, 2006 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure this woman doesn't give a flying f.. if she wins any popularity contests. Oh wait, she did. When was the last time you were voted sexiest/most generous/all around favorite woman in the known universe? Hmmm? That said, I don't like her either. So there.

Posted by: bad kitty | May 10, 2006 12:17 PM | Report abuse

My ex-wife has some of Angelina's personality traits and a similar history. While Angelina has a lot of positive traits (beauty, philanthropy, motherly qualities), a lot of people's instincts or observations about her character (or vibe?) should cause Brad some concern. Heck, if I were him I'd never let my guard down with her. I predict he may be in for a hard fall, though I'd never wish it upon him having gone through it my self. Also having experience with an Angelina type, no one could ever tell me that my situation was a little precarious.

Posted by: David | May 10, 2006 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I heard on the radio this morning that she has also been named (by whom? I don't know, some celebrity industry...) the "best celebrity mom".

Whatever is going on with her personal life and character, I think that what Liz is touching on is that she is starting to represent the impossible ideal for women in America. She is portrayed as this "down to earth, humanitarian, non-celebrity", and yet in the background, she has the resources to do all of these thing. To be the most beautiful woman, the most humanitarian UN ambassador jetting from one place to the next, being with her children to create the most beautiful family, with the most beautiful man etc. Where does this put the average woman? No ordinary non-celebrity woman can possibly be *everything* to everyone, and yet this is still a standard that Hollywood likes to keep up-- that's why it is entertainment. If she is the superlative of all things woman, then the average woman is just an incompetant fool. I imagine that if all women had the resources to do all of these things (ya know, several million, a jet, some free time...) then maybe that would be possible. But holding other people to these standards and making women feel incapable because of they aren't able to do everything as perfectly is unconscionable. But as long as women everywhere try to "compete" with something so unreasonable, then it will continue to sell.

Posted by: YoYo | May 10, 2006 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I was recently at Jazz Fest and heard a woman in the crowd criticizing Bruce Springsteen for not caring about issues and being an opportunist - for being at Jazz Fest to tout his new CD. Well, that may be the case, but he was also helping bring fans to a city that greatly needs tourism revenue right now.
Same with Angelina - and many other actors and musicians. You can look at everything they do with cynicism, that they are only donating money for a tax break, or for the publicity, but you can also look at the good that comes from it.
A teacher of mine in high school mentioned that everything we do for others is selfish - that we donate time and money because it makes US feel good. I think that's a very cynical way to look at the world, and very sad to think that.
Whatever Angelina (and other celebs) do with their personal lives is up to them. We can choose to see (or not see) their movies, to buy (or not to buy) their music. But don't discredit them for donating their time and money to help other, less fortunate, people.

Posted by: jessica | May 10, 2006 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm a very heterosexual male in my 30s and for the life of me can't figure out what people see in her. She looks like a bowling alley girl with better makeup. What am I missing?

Posted by: Don't get it | May 10, 2006 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I don't see what is so great about her. I agree with Marlene (sp?) I would love to do something to help others the way she does, but I can't, because I don't have fame and/or money. Angelina is no better than anyone else (though she might think differently, since she packed up her entouage and moved to Africa so she could have "privacy") I wish her and every other celebrity would learn that at some point.
Also, about her mothering and caring for children....she maybe a good mom, but I find it kind of sad that her and other celebs can go through the adoption process so quickly, when there are people out there who are just as good (if not better) parents that sit in the system for 5 years or more. This is what happened to a family friend. They were doing adoption stuff for 8 years! And they are incapable of having children, unlike Angelina And they are amazing parents. To me, its a bit insulting. But then again, thats my opinion. No one has to aggree with me.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 10, 2006 12:41 PM | Report abuse

AJ's celebrity is based on her looks and perfomance in Hollywood movies. If she wants to QUIETLY make contributions to humanitarian causes, that's great. But I hate Hollywood celebrities who try to pass themselves off as "experts" in politics (e.g., Ben Affleck), scientific or health issues, etc. (and totally bunk Scientology by you know who). That's not how they became celebrities in the first place. Also, many celebrities are actually quite STUPID in how they conduct their marriages (of only 3 days or 3 months in some cases) and other aspects of their personal lives. So what really gives them the intellectual credibility to pontificate on issues OUTSIDE of their own Hollywood movies?

And even regarding her most famous personal feature, her big lips, Angelina Jolie is now facing luscious competition from Scarlett Johansson.

Posted by: J Molay | May 10, 2006 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I like and admire her. She's a woman of substance and she's controlling her message. The media might hate it, but she's using them to focus attention on issues that have some real importance. If not for her, would so many media be visiting southern Africa? Doubt it. Keep it up Angelina. I just hope Brad is up for the intensity of the ride...

Posted by: go for it | May 10, 2006 12:47 PM | Report abuse

My resistance to the Angelina charm offensives stems from how she came to acquire her most beautiful family. How many people who adopt walk right into the home and pick out the most captivating babies? There's something a little bit "cast" about her family that's creepy. Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman's adopted children are perfectly attractive, but not dazzling, and it seems to me that they adopted them the good old fashioned random way. Feels odd to commend Cruise, but that's one normal thing he's done.

Posted by: mainemom | May 10, 2006 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Celebrities can make a difference, all you have to do is look at Audrey Hepburn and her work - there is a woman who was truly beautiful inside and out.

Angelina just does not make the grade. She is not that good looking, most of her attraction is her bad girl gimmick. She lives her life in a very bohemien maner, so I don't see how she can be a role model for anyone, and honestly do not see why she made the People's list at all.

Posted by: Ash | May 10, 2006 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Meryl Streep is a wonderful actress. No one should be slagging her. What she did in Fatral Attraction is for the ages! Leave her alone!

Posted by: WeinerDog | May 10, 2006 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I much prefer the old Angelina - it made her much more fun to read about. And I fully admit before all that she's the #1 answer when the"If you could look like anybody who would it be" question comes up (too often among my gang, unfortunately).

Posted by: KiKi | May 10, 2006 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Beau Monroe | May 10, 2006 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Because she's a nut.

Posted by: Frank Giovinazzi | May 10, 2006 1:12 PM | Report abuse

she is a lot better than Jen, who has gone from "knowing it was coming, the marriage was dead for a long time", per their friends, to, once he started dating Angelina, changiner her tune and trashing Brad and doing cover stories on how horrible she is feeling. Why do we feel the need to second guess someone who is doing good? Can't we think of the people she is helping and leave it at that? Anything else is catty and truly ignores those in constant need.

Posted by: Joe | May 10, 2006 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I would love to have sex with her.

Posted by: Fred | May 10, 2006 1:38 PM | Report abuse

the kat:

she's paid more taxes in one year than you and yor entire family will in your lifetime. stop hating!

Posted by: dc1000 | May 10, 2006 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I adopted the good old random way and have beautiful children...really, why do we feel we need to love Jolie? I'm happy she's out there, and admire her humanitarian work, but don't feel like I need to be emotionally involved in her life.

Posted by: Susan | May 10, 2006 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Have you noticed how Brad always adopts the hair-do style of his girl friends?
Is that weird or what?

Posted by: But she is Hot | May 10, 2006 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Jolie isn't likable...and she stole Brad away from Jen. >:(

Posted by: M | May 10, 2006 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Sheesh, she's an ACTRESS. Not a god.

Why is that, if you don't agree with someone's VERY public choices, are you jealous and fat and ugly? This is a very President Bush mentality (if there is one), ain't it?

Posted by: The Kat | May 10, 2006 1:49 PM | Report abuse

No, not hating, DC 1000 -- I don't waste my time hating, but I do think for myself, somewhat of a lost art here in the DC area. I just don't want some bimbo from L.A. telling me how to spend my tax money and preaching morality to me. Of all people to tell me what's "right" and "good" in this world, it's certainly not gonna be AJ. That goes for Pam Anderson, too! Plus, taxes are all relative to how much you earn, and so a million from her 40 million is the same as my $900 from $70K. You can do the math, I hope...
Start thinking.

Posted by: The Kat | May 10, 2006 1:59 PM | Report abuse

It's STILL drinking haterade to even WRITE a negative opinion on something or someone that has no immediate bearing on your everyday life, Kat. You hate by even deigning to consider and offer your opinion on the woman, whom none of US really know from a can of paint. Respect her gansta on the humanitarian stuff, EVEN THOUGH she has millions, and don't watch her movies, or read and respond to articles about her. Also I noticed none of your math included your financial donations to charity with all the relative math knowledge you're kickin', while she donates MILLIONS of her own money...

Posted by: Fla Keys | May 10, 2006 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Amazingly enough, there are people out there who support AJ's causes and celebrate the fact that she is out there asking for the government to spend money on humanitarian issues. I've asked my US Reps and Sens to do such things, but since I'm a lonely shade of blue in a very red state, they don't really listen to me. However, AJ does seem to get their attention for at least a few seconds. For that I'm grateful. I'm the type that would much rather spend money on humanitarian aid than more guns and bombs.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 10, 2006 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Well, clearly there are many more enlightened and loving individuals in this world than I, so I decline further comment on AJ. However, America has truly become an oppressed and scary place, if one cannot speak a simple logic on a newspaper online forum without being called "a hater." How very hypocritical, for you individuals to be calling me the hater, when I've merely expressed my opinion.

Posted by: The Kat | May 10, 2006 2:56 PM | Report abuse

In all your peace-loving "non-judgmentalness," you've seemed to have found your judgment. Actually very funny, as you don't know me from a can of paint, either.

Posted by: The Kat | May 10, 2006 2:59 PM | Report abuse

According to people magazine,Anjelina is the most beautiful woman in the world, well that's absolutely rubbish.Through her charity work, Anjelina is trying to create a distraction from her past full of weird, unstable activities and just pretending to be strong and confident.Above all, she could have easily kept away from Brad Pit, only if she wanted to, but her insecure nature led her to steal somebody's husband.
Note: No Aniston's fan.

Posted by: Zereena Khan | May 10, 2006 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I can only speak from my experience, working for a nonprofit that was *promised*--numerous times--and never got support from Ms. Jolie. Her people approached *us* to host a viewing of a humanitarian film she narrated, then they pulled out time and time again. Insider scoop we got, was that she expected more high profile coverage, and was very much in it all to polish up her image. Hey, whatever the reason, if she brings attention to much needed issues, great. I can divorce the insecure, adulterous woman from her actions. But if you promise something, make good on it. Even when the cameras aren't rolling.

Posted by: DMP | May 10, 2006 3:15 PM | Report abuse

But news flash, it's an opinion about someone you deem yourself qualified to judge, and that is not, by any stretch of the imagination, logic(al). The only thing you're being called on is this fact, nothing more. Get a thicker skin, especially if you're going to be critical of others... These are after all merely observations, not unlike your own..

Posted by: Keys Fla | May 10, 2006 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I really can't take someone seriously who uses the term "haterade."

Posted by: the kat | May 10, 2006 3:44 PM | Report abuse

How do we know Jolie's UNICEF work isn't primarily a cutting-edge PR ploy? It's good stuff, but why wouldn't the public wonder about her sincerity? How does a woman who makes made a fortune glamorizing life as a professional assassin, and butt-kicking tomb raider, square her chosen roles with a professed concern for the plight of poor children whose countries are run by machine-gun-wielding assassins and whose archaeological/natural riches are being plundered at the natives' loss? And, she professed horror at the idea of breaking up a marriage, but honestly did she play ZERO role in that? It's not jealousy; there are richer and more attractive celebrities we'd envy first. It's suspicion that she's up to no good, and takes no prisoners going after what she wants.

Posted by: just asking | May 10, 2006 3:53 PM | Report abuse

schmooze them...

little people want to be appreciated by those that they deem to by of higher status...

you put them higher, why bother, they just happen to be there...maybe you'll be the star next life time, why make it personal?

Angelina is Angelina, who care, either you appreciate her art or you don't

who cares if you appreciate her,

it's not important, you're trying to elevate yourselves by

knocking someone else down....

like Selenas manager.

Posted by: I think most people are put off by people that don't try to | May 10, 2006 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Just like you shouldn't take yourself too seriously... using the word 'hate' as slang connotation for speaking negatively about someone (which you did, in one of your many rebuttals) is just as grammatically incorrect. Lighten up, just like YOU said, nobody knows you from a can of paint...and you sure are taking me serious enough to keep replying... sad, really...

Posted by: Fla Keys | May 10, 2006 4:04 PM | Report abuse

someone was harsh to me...

but I like to be harsh to other people and call it logick..

pensive behaviours with deliberate poise issues...

Posted by: oh I'm so hurt.. | May 10, 2006 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fla Keys | May 10, 2006 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fla Keys | May 10, 2006 4:09 PM | Report abuse

by having feelings about people that I consider more important than me...

I need to enjoy life more, someday,

as soon as I get home I'm going to have a good time watching television....

I don't think so.

life isn't about buying the latest pablum, go for a bike ride, take a hike,

walk, breathe, swim,

quit eating.

Posted by: I need to make myself important | May 10, 2006 4:16 PM | Report abuse

As a mother of an internationally adopted child I admire AJ. And I'm with the person who notices that she raises these kids herself. She's a real mom. And so what if her past is a little notorious. She's an interesting person who hasn't led her life according to other people's rules and yet her own values include generosity and responsibility.

I remember vey well the children left behind when I adopted my child. Since then many families have come to me with their questions on adopting and I always let them know that it is not for the feint of heart, but for strong families with room in their hearts, lives and homes for another child. Bless her for being a role model of what so many others, if they had the heart and strength, could do to make this world a better place.

Posted by: pta mom | May 10, 2006 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I like her. Let her live her life. She is doing positive things. She is a strong woman living her life her way and not by the pressure of society. We all have a choice and at least she decided to make a difference by using the her talent, money, looks to help others. Most of us live in our narrow, self-interested worlds. Plus she is just a celebrity. Maybe we should all look in the mirror and ask what we are contributing to society. The media plays up the negative to sell ads. Get over it. Go out and do some good.

Posted by: fan in south carolina | May 10, 2006 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I just believe in meeeeeeee...

Posted by: I don't believe in... | May 10, 2006 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Adopting children and parading yourself around with them, does not make one a good person. Perhaps the children are objects to decorate herself with.

Mia Farrow adopted many children. Court filings during her most messy divorce, showed her to be a quite disfunctional Mother.

Having said that, this does not mean one has or should have ill-will to Angelina.

The obnoxious question was raised by this celebrity journalist, Liz Kelley.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 10, 2006 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I beg to differ with the people who say her charity work doesn't count because she can only do it because she is rich and famous. ANYONE can volunteer and give money to charity in proportion to their income. No, you won't get the same publicity, but is that the point? The fact that this woman puts time and money into charity work does set her apart from the vast majority of Americans who talk a good game but don't do diddly squat to help anyone else out. I have no real opinion about Angelina Jolie, but I do know that most people don't give time or money at any level.

Posted by: hyp | May 10, 2006 5:21 PM | Report abuse

A lot of you are acting like you actually know her. You don't know the first thing about her. You have concrete evidence of the good she is doing with UNICEF and the UN. You have NO concrete evidence of her personal life. Seems we don't have a choice but to admire a woman who could have maintained an extremly common superficial celebrity lifestyle but instead gives an exhorbitant amount of her time and money to change the world for the better. She sets the bar quite high not only for you and I but also for her peers in the entertainment industry.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 10, 2006 5:32 PM | Report abuse

All those who dislike Angelina should get a life. This woman is only 30 years but already accomplished many good things for other people. Whatever she was and had done in her twenties could be attributed to youth and lack of maturity. What Angelina has done is change her life around instead of continuing on her destructive behavior. A lot of our young starlets are much worse and are not getting any better as they get older. Jennifer Aniston is 36 years old, and yet she seems to act like a clueless girl. We who are looking from the outside do not really know what these celebrities are like in their private lives. We can only judge by their deeds.

Posted by: M. Stratas | May 10, 2006 5:50 PM | Report abuse

If AJ is acting in her own self interest, and she is also helping other people, I'd have to say that's a very intelligent way to conduct her affairs. Anyone who is paying attention these days should know that controversy sells. Someone mentioned that she has a bohemian lifestyle. Well, most truly intelligent people don't fit well into a preconcieved mold, and so jealousy can reign as king. That is a common reaction from ineffectual people. So, from my point of view, applaud the good that she does, and, really, doesn't she have to pay the price for her decisions? As for the other people involved with her, can it be said that any of them are truly innocent?

Posted by: killerwhale | May 10, 2006 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't *have* to approve of her or admire her. But I do. She has resources I don't have. But, if I had them, I don't know that I'd put them to use in the same way that she has. I'd really like to think I would, but that's just wishing and I'll never know for sure. On the other hand, I do know for sure that she has put her money and her fame to good use. Sure, she's made some mistakes in her time, and public ones at that. And, unlike the rest of us who can hide in our anonymity, she's had no choice but to live with her mistakes.

Not perfect? No. Nobody is.

But everybody likes to point smug and self-righteous fingers at the next guy's imperfections.

Kudos to AJ for not being perfect. She manages to do a lot of good despite her imperfections.

Posted by: Ciao. | May 10, 2006 6:20 PM | Report abuse

First of all everyone should take the time to educate themselves about issues that Ms Jolie supports. The world needs people like her to get ordinary people like you and me to become aware of situations that go on in the world that we fail to recognize. There's a lot to be learned and most people are blind to what goes on outside their country. She has opened up a lot of eyes and she is sincere in her work. I've had the opportunity to meet her in DC and no matter what people say about her she believes in what she represents and is very genuine. Believe it or not she is just like you and me and has personal issues just like everyone else. I respect her for turning her life around. By the way she works with UNHCR not UNICEF do yourselves a favor and check out usaforunhcr.org. Become a monthly donor and stop being a part of the problem and be a part of the solution.

Posted by: kp | May 10, 2006 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Angie rocks. She's good looking smart and lives by her own rules. She wants a comfortable life for herself AND she wants to gove some of her good fortune back to those who need it. Sounds pretty balanced to me. I doubt very much she is perfect - I bet you anything there is some really weird s*** goes on in her life. I bet you she is not even a PERFECT MOTHER!!! Shock horror! Every single person who has ever made a difference in this world has done so because of a willingness to set themselves against the herd mentality that says do as we do or get crap kicked out of you. I hope she has a great life - I hope Brad Pitt can keep up with her. I hope their kids grow up to be as interesting as their parents.

Posted by: clang | May 10, 2006 6:29 PM | Report abuse

She is a snake. Intuitively, there is something about her that is disingenuous. It's a cop-out to say women hate Angelina are just jealous of her. We "hate" her because AJ manipulates men. Were she to manipulate our boyfriends/husbands the way she's done the same with the men in Hollywood, we'd want to punch her lights out. Regardless of the "good" work she does on the humantarian front, she isn't a sister. And the fact that the media keeps spinning her as some angel of Africa makes us hate her more--puhlease, people. She's the scheming spoiled kid that always gets her way--and we know what she got away with. I don't buy it.

Posted by: Lynn | May 10, 2006 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Too bad the plastic surgeon who did the work on her lips couldn't do anything about those cord-like veins all over her arms. They're disgusting. She's a homewrecker, suddenly one day she decided she wanted a kid, went shopping for one and came home with one. She enjoys the riches and celebrity that Americans have bestowed upon her for her mediocre films yet goes out of her way to insult Americans by speaking badly of them to the press and saying she wants to raise her kids outside the USA b/c we Americans are apparently racist sexist homophobic imperialistic bullies. Despite warnings, she continues to fly a plane that she is not skilled enough to fly - endangering her unborn child. She goes to a country in Africa that is not safe - putting all her children at risk. She lives the life of a millionaire yet has the gall to tell Americans to "give more". And let's not forget all about her makeout sessions with her creepy brother.

Gee, what's not to like about her?

Posted by: Marie | May 10, 2006 7:18 PM | Report abuse

The whole premise of the article and the discussion is bogus. None of us know her, so all we can do is respond to PR or her movies when we say we like or don't like her. But even that's ridiculous. What we know of her from public appearances, interviews, profiles, is all very limited. And none of it matetrs, because she's an actor. I like some of her movies, don't like others. She's outside of my world and thus outside of a scale of likeability. That we're even having this discussion shows how vapid and other-directed this culture is. You want to dislike somebody--how about focusing on people who really affect your life, like politicians, and then sign some petitions, make some donations, contact your Congressmen and women, read blogs, educate yourself. But don't waste time on chewing celebrity cud.

Posted by: Toro | May 10, 2006 7:46 PM | Report abuse

She's an excellent humanitarian, but like most people with great tendencies, she's flawed: She's a husband thief. So, to hell with she and Brad.

Posted by: Shag | May 10, 2006 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I personally dont like Angelina Jolie. I dont think she is pretty at all. Especially when you look at her head on and close up. People are just impressed with lipstick and makeup. Take all that off, and I think she is below average. I dont know who selected her as a good looking woman; and I dont know how and why they did that. James, UK.

Posted by: James | May 10, 2006 8:51 PM | Report abuse

She adopts children and still is subjected to ridicule.

She's beautiful and is still subjected to ridicule.

My question is don't ya'll have a life to be a part of? Because it sounds to me like she does, and is.

Posted by: Talkingdog | May 10, 2006 9:02 PM | Report abuse

I watch television, and my world revolves around that....

Entertainment tonight is all I live for, I like oreos, and strawberry shakes...

I weigh 400 lbs. but you can't see that when I post....

I hate anyone that is normal looking but I don't have to let people know that I'm not I just direct my hate outward like I know what I'm talking about...

except when I eat.

Posted by: I have a really boring life | May 10, 2006 11:12 PM | Report abuse

I think Angelina is terrific, inside and out, and I thought Jen was just mundane, mediocre and materialistic.

Billions of people love Angelina. Those who don't, probably just can stand the fact that she proves their self-indulgence and moral laziness isn't the only way to be.

Posted by: Christen | May 10, 2006 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Is there a way to make Angelina go away?

Her skin-deep photo-opiness makes me cringe.

So what? She's a rich Hollywood child with time to save souls. Given the same starting point in life, a few of us might do the same. Is she to be lauded for her deeds, acknowledged having the choice to live a life full of "helpful vacations", or simply disregarded?

Posted by: Please | May 11, 2006 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Angelina seems to be that rare person who is not (or not anymore) in the slightest bit vain. She doesn't seem to have an image in her head of who or what she would like to be like. Since that is the whole reason we read about celebrities, it's obvious she is not like us in that way. Beauty and whatnot is besides the point. She knows she can survive without it. We don't!

Posted by: Moe is me | May 11, 2006 3:03 AM | Report abuse

MARLENE, she has turned her life around. You just haven't noticed it. All that stuff you listed happened 5-7 YEARS ago.

And starjaded, YOU sound like the "lunkhead". And also like a judgemental, jealous, loser.

Posted by: Mrs. Kite | May 11, 2006 3:39 AM | Report abuse

I admire anyone and everyone who adopts unwanted and needy children. Almost 40 thousand children die in Africa each day, yet we Americans are so wasteful, restaurants throwing away millions of tons of leftovers everyday. But mark my words, Americans will soon appreciate things we now take for granted, like running water and clean sheets. As far as Angelina being the MOST beautiful woman in the world, be for real! Her huge lips without makeup are pure nasty-looking, with that HUGE crack or line down the middle. Her eyes are beautiful though but I would not classify her as THE MOST BEAUTIFUL IN THE WORLD. Halle Berry still ranks NUNBER ONE WITH ME, considering she's pushing 40! Now that's natural beauty. Peace.

Posted by: GinberG | May 11, 2006 12:18 PM | Report abuse

"She's the scheming spoiled kid that always gets her way--and we know what she got away with. I don't buy it"

A-freaking-men.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 11, 2006 12:42 PM | Report abuse

she's a liar. and she's rich with plenty of time on her hands...so what! the real humanitarians are the foster parents who are on the verge on going broke to care for several kids at a time without cameras and bodyguards. and who the hell picked the most beautiful person in the world?! i don't even know where to start on how whack that concept is to begin with...

Posted by: give me a break | May 11, 2006 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Having read an article about what Melinda French Gates (Bill Gates' wife) does with her time and money, I have even more disgust for the incredibly messed-up Angelina Jolie. Not to minimize what she does for the world, but is it any coincidence she helps those who have nobody else? She obviously is extremely insecure, or she would have friends and she would choose men who are available. Melinda French Gates helps a lot of people, and has integrity, morals, and genuineness ... and is not a man-eating home-wrecker. Jolie cheated on her first husband with a woman, set her talons on Billy Bob Thornton (ewww) when he was engaged to Laura Dern, then did the same with Brad Pitt when he was married to Jennifer Aniston (after all, you don't have to sleep with someone to have an affair) -- and who knows how many others in between. Other philanthropic women (a) do not wear their husband's blood; (b) steal men from other women; (c) have no friends of their own ... etc. And is it any coincidence she chooses messed-up men? After all, Brad Pitt has the disturbing pattern of dying his hair to match whomever he is sleeping with (remember he was blond when with Gwyneth Paltrow, buttery golden with Jennifer Aniston, and now dark with Jolie ... )

In closing ... yuck. There are true philanthropists out there, but Jolie's obvious issues cast suspicion on whatever she does. And the woman needs to eat, pronto.

Posted by: Anna | May 11, 2006 1:29 PM | Report abuse

ALL I HAVE TO SAY in response to this comment...

"HAHAHAHAHHAHA You ALL are unattractive, un-wanted women. Stop hating on Angelina! She is better than your fat, jealous ass in every way!"

Is... WHOA BUDDY. I am a 24 year old with a banging body and a beautiful face. Men have tripped over themselves and fallen out of chairs watching me walk by and guess what... I DO NOT LIKE ANGELINA JOLIE.

In fact, in my opinion she looks like a man. Maybe that is why more women find her attractive then men. Hmm let's ponder that for a moment? She kind of reminds me of a transsexual. Ha-ha. Oops was that mean?

I also don't believe her good-doing for one brief second. There is no way a girl that grew up in such a dysfunctional family could grow to be a confident strong willed person. Angelina is probably the most manipulative, codependent freak I have ever observed. I may not know her personally, but I know people like her. Has anyone ever heard of Machiavellianism? Well look it up here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machiavellianism
I think under the definition they should write: Angelina Jolie!

She is down to earth and the only reason for that is because she has mental problems just like everyone else.

There is just something about that woman I don't trust. Anyone else feel the same?

Posted by: Steph | May 11, 2006 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Steph, what a sad example you are of modern society.

Posted by: Observer | May 11, 2006 6:24 PM | Report abuse

All women who hate Angelina are just projecting their own "pain" because they've been dumped/cheated on in the past.

Well it's not her fault you can't keep a man happy.

Posted by: Melinda | May 11, 2006 6:38 PM | Report abuse

She's hot, she's smart, she's committed to the casue. As a child of the Hollywood fame she has made a name for herself. Good for her...but can she act? eh does she have too?

Posted by: Angelina oh my Angelina | May 11, 2006 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Jolie's humanitarian work isn't just to make herself more famous. If it was, then she would have accepted the UN High Commissioner for Refugees Goodwill Ambassador job the moment it was offered. Instead, she visited some refugee camps in Cambodia, Pakistan, Sierra Leone, and Tanzania to actually learn about the UNHCR's work before she signed up. Yes, someone can be a weirdo celebrity and still care too.

Posted by: Cynthia | May 12, 2006 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I think someone dropped Kat on her head. How can anyone knock a celebrity for donating millions and actually raising awareness for issues that corporate America completely overlooks because there's no profit in it? This woman has it all and other women hate it. Damn she's hot and has twice the heart that you do. Put the cheeseburger down and do something positive...

I could do things if I had the money and the time? COP OUT

Posted by: Brad | May 15, 2006 2:11 PM | Report abuse

You know, we forget that actors are normal people with a kicka** job. We would all love to do what we love to do and make millions for it. Whoever said that actors outside of their jobs have to entertain us? If they are boring, so what? We only pay to see them entertain us for a couple hours a day, not all day.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2006 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Some people are so mean on here.
Who gives you meany the right to say who's right or wrong?

People who are not celebrities cheat on their spouses, or steal other people's boyfriends or husbands. But we do not talk about that, instead we take it out on the celebrities.

Even that, how do we know for sure that
Angelina stole Brad. Maybe, Jennifer took it the wrong way and blew out of portion.

Brad did ask Jennifer for forgiveness, and that they did not do anything. She is not strong enough to fight for her man.

It's Jennfier's lost.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2006 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I notice only women hate Angelina. Gay men, gay women, and straight men admire her. I think that says a lot.

I think she's a case of being too beautiful for her own good. Women are threatened by her. She can give candy to a child and she's be accused of trying to ensnare the kid's father.

Posted by: david | May 31, 2006 1:21 AM | Report abuse