Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 05/ 2/2006

"Mission" Impervious?

By Liz Kelly

This may come as a surprise to folks who forgot that, in addition to being a complete freak of nature an outspoken Scientologist, Tom Cruise is also an actor and this Friday, in theaters nationwide, his latest movie -- "Mission: Impossible III" -- opens.

Tom Cruise and Michelle Monaghan in a scene from "Mission: Impossible III." (AP)

What seems like decades ago, Tom Cruise was just an actor -- like him or hate him -- living the life of your average Hollywood leading man. He racked up some respectable performances ("Rainman," "Magnolia"), some box office hits ("Top Gun," "Jerry Maguire") and some real stinkers ("Cocktail," "Eyes Wide Shut") and he had what seemed like a pretty typical personal life, complete with a string of starlets for mates -- Mimi Rogers, Nicole Kidman and a short-lived romance with Penelope Cruz.

Funny how things change.

Was it only a year ago that Tom Cruise was jumping on Oprah's couch professing his love for new girlfriend Katie Holmes? (Yes, it was May 23, 2005). A mere 12 months later, Cruise and Katie Kate have packed in enough tabloid fodder to fill several blogs and are new parents of Suri, the culmination of one of the most closely watched pregnancies of the millennium.

Today, Cruise is kind of a wacky entity well on his way to Howard Hughes-scale strangeness. He's not just an actor anymore. We're wary of him. Now he's the guy who jumped on Oprah's couch, the guy who got bitchy with Matt Lauer, the guy who criticized Brooke Shields for using antidepressants to help with postpartum depression. He's also the guy who bought his own sonogram machine and who joked (we hope) about wanting to eat the baby's placenta. And now he's the guy who, a week after the birth of his child, took off on a European promo tour for his new movie.

Which brings us to the question of the week: Does Tom Cruise's hype help or hurt "Mission: Impossible III" at the box office? Are you down for a good action flick no matter the star's off-screen shenanigans or are you one of the increasing number of people who plan to boycott based on Cruise's behavior?

Take the poll, then share the reason for your vote in the comments section.

By Liz Kelly  | May 2, 2006; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Paris Hilton, Stavros Niarchos Split
Next: Morning Mix: Angelina Jolie Plans Water Birth

Comments

Cruise is a freak. I'm not going to put any money in his pocket by watching watching his movies.

Posted by: bob | May 2, 2006 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Cruise has jumped the shark.

Posted by: Name Withheld | May 2, 2006 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I think that Tom Cruise is being unfairly targeted by the media. The guy is cool. Period.

Posted by: sergio | May 2, 2006 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Eh. I think it's become de rigeur - not to mention easy - to kick the guy around. If jumping on a couch and speaking out against prescriptions is the worst he does, he's not quite at freak levels yet. Looking around the newsroom, Liz, you can probably name a good dozen folks who have said stranger / acted weirder / married younger / eaten (or ingested) worse. I know I certainly can.

Hardly Howard Hughes material. Big, fat target, to be sure, but -- aren't those the easiest to hit? Maybe that's why it's getting so boring ...

Posted by: D. | May 2, 2006 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but I think Cruise is offensive. I think Katie (not Kate, who is this Kate, anyway?) is being brainwashed. I would cheerfully never see any film he's in from now until the end of his career. Which, I hope, is soon.

Posted by: SG | May 2, 2006 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I think it's well past time that we stop accepting every nutball opinion or antic under the penumbra of "freedom of expression". TC is a nutcase who giggles at every statement he makes and derserves to be shunned.

Posted by: Stick | May 2, 2006 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Can we say that celebs who have passed their time have jumped the couch?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2006 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise has always seemed a little "off" to me, even back in the 80's when I was a young'n. I don't like the guy, or his acting, and I stay far, far away from any movies in which he appears. He needs to stop acting so sanctimonious about his beliefs and get back in the closet. I'm not talking about him being gay (I couldn't care less), he just needs to stop showing all of us what a nut-job he truly is.

Posted by: TomCruiseBlows | May 2, 2006 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I agree with many of the above comments: it's a shame that our boy, Tom, has developed into such a squirrel.

That's not the reason, however, that I will not see his movie. I'm hard of hearing and it's very difficult to hear dialog in the theater (too much background sound is used in film).

Posted by: Fairfax | May 2, 2006 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise is an idiot. I am pretty upset over the whole deal with Comedy Central refusing to re-air the episode of South Park that mocked Scientology. I might still see MI:3, though.

Posted by: William | May 2, 2006 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm OK with Cruise professing his love for Katie in whatever wacky way he wants to, and will not define him as weird because of his non-mainstream religious beliefs. However, I do take issue with his comments about ppPostpartum depression. As anyone who has witnessed or experienced this knows, this is a hugely debilitating condition. Really, if it were so easily solved by exercise and proper diet (as Cruise claims) any woman suffering from it would have already taken those steps and given it a shot. It is just not that easy. So when someone so widely in the public eye as Tom Cruise offers an uneducated opinion on something such as postpartum depression, it can have a dangerous impact on how women and families deal with this issue. I, for one, would love to see Cruise feel a financial impact from the dangerousness of his comments in the form of lower box office receipts... it may just convince him to be more aware of the world around him and the social role he has to play in it.

Posted by: sbo | May 2, 2006 11:55 AM | Report abuse

My ex-wife had an uncle who had gone headlong into Scientology. He was a complete psycho. After studying this "religion" I have come to avoid its adherants at all costs. John Travolta, Kirstie Allie, Jenna Elfman, et al have managed to be more or less quietly weird, but Tom Cruise is so full of himself and his pseudo religion he has had the audacity to think he knows more than anyone about anything. He is a fraud and a nut case.

Posted by: another bob | May 2, 2006 11:56 AM | Report abuse

"....pretty typical personal life"?!?!?! You've got to be kidding. The guy has used a succession of starlets as his 'beard'. What's typical about that?

Posted by: Stretch | May 2, 2006 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I never thought that Tom Cruise was that great of an actor - he's more of an overacter, IMHO. So, this whole thing with "Kate" Holmes (how creepy that HE made the announcement about her name) just kind of is the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm done.

Posted by: stinkerbelle | May 2, 2006 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I'm not seeing his 'vehicle'. Money spent on tickets will obviously find its way to the church of wackos, and I don't want support them in any way.

Posted by: nsarcastic | May 2, 2006 12:08 PM | Report abuse

You don't think that's typical Hollywood behavior for a certain type of leading man?

Posted by: Hector | May 2, 2006 12:11 PM | Report abuse

i'm boycotting cruise movies for the time being. as long as he credits his cult with his career success i'll do my part to make him less successful.

Posted by: Trajanus | May 2, 2006 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Let Tom alone

Posted by: mary | May 2, 2006 12:16 PM | Report abuse

As with many celebrities, Mr. Cruise assumes his success means he can expand that expertise to any field he finds interesting - including the proper medical treatment of people suffering from depression or other issues. This is not only arrogant, but socially irresponsible. It's like Barry Bonds telling kids they should use steroids b/c it worked for him.Even Bonds doesnt go that low.

Posted by: mike | May 2, 2006 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise is a Scientology shill. Maybe if we ignore him and all his movies, he will soon enough go away.

Posted by: ewsnead | May 2, 2006 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I'll wait to hear the reviews before deciding. If it gets reviewed as a good action flick, then despite the fact that I am soooo over TC (he's now, and forever more, just sad and weird in my eyes), I'll go see it. If the reviews say it's not that great, I won't. But a year ago, if asked the same question, I would have said "heck yeah, it's m:i:iii, woo hoo, who cares what the critics think!"

Posted by: kj | May 2, 2006 12:31 PM | Report abuse

You can tell when he is acting. During interviews that is.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2006 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Anyone noticed that in a lot of movies, Cruise ends up wearing a mask? Is this some sort of symbolic Scientologist mumbo-jumbo? MI, Eyes Wide Shut, Vanilla Sky (which is pretty much a Scientologist manifisto anyway). In Minority Report, there's the thing with the eyes. Any others? Does his flight helmet in Top Gun count? Any masks in Magnolia or War of the Worlds? Isn't it kind of strange that almost all his recent movies involve him altering his face in some way?

Posted by: jw | May 2, 2006 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Really, how many churches do you know have separate facilities for celebrities like Scientology does? They should have their tax exemption revoked. I think Pat Kinglsey (Tom's former publicist) did an excellent job of not letting out how whacked Tom truly is. When he fired her, and hired his sister as publicist, it started to hit the fan.

Posted by: zsazsa | May 2, 2006 12:45 PM | Report abuse

If I have it right, his whole Katie/Couch/Brooke Shields episode was timed to maximize publicity just as his last film (War of the Worlds) was hitting the theatres.

Now that MI3 is hitting the theatres, a new publicity vehicle arrives named Suri. We're all featured to endless stories about quiet labor and placenta recipes.

I wonder how Suri will react when she realizes in her teen years that she was conceived to end the TC is gay speculation and to revive a flagging franchise.

Yech....

Posted by: Chris | May 2, 2006 12:48 PM | Report abuse

i want to see the film just because i am a fan of jj abrams, but my dislike for cruise trumps my affection for abrams. i'll catch it on the usa network someday.

Posted by: charlie | May 2, 2006 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Cruise is an overated character actor. There is no distinction between his character portrayals of a high school kid in Risky Busisness, a lawyer in A few good Men, etc. He still looked and acted as a highschool kid. Totally unbelievable in those roles. His popularity is based on his kid like features. He demonstrates his his immature intellect every time he opens his mouth to speak. His past buisness manager knew that and shielded him from any exposure.

Posted by: don | May 2, 2006 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I probably won't see the MI3 movie, not because i disagree with tom cruise's views (i do, but i think that's besides the point) but by being so outspoken, he's kind of broken the fourth wall so much now that it would be too difficult to reasonably suspend disbelief long enough to enjoy the movie. Now, i could never possibly see the character, but just Tom Cruise, acting.

Posted by: LP | May 2, 2006 12:55 PM | Report abuse

We are such a hypocritical society! We (and Apple Corp.) self-righteously tell people, especially kids, to be different, to think different, to be unique, to be who we are, to be true to ourselves, to not care so much about what other people think, to question authority. But what happens when some people actually do these things? The very same people who give these advices call those who are unconventional "freaks of nature", "oddballs", "nutjobs", "insane", "weird", "whacked". Judge not, lest you yourselves be judged!

Posted by: Franklin | May 2, 2006 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Cruise must be a moron for believing in Scientology. But he would be just as moronic if he were a southern Baptist, a Mormon, or any kind of religious person. Religion is a form of mental disease. Scientology is just another version.

Posted by: candide | May 2, 2006 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Do Scientologists believe in space aliens?

Scientology does teach that many of our problems are caused by the spirits of space aliens that are stuck to our bodies. However, that teaching is considered confidential and is only taught to Scientologists who have reached a certain level, known in Scientology as OT III - so a lot of Scientologists are actually unaware that this is an important Scientology teaching.
Scientology Teachings about Space Aliens

What, exactly, does Scientology say about space aliens?

In the materials for OT III (Operating Thetan level 3), L. Ron Hubbard writes that, 75 million years ago, the head of the Galactic Federation, made up of 76 planets, was a being named Xenu. Faced with an overpopulation problem, he brought beings to this planet, blew them up with hydrogen bombs, and packaged them. Their spirits now infest our bodies: he says "One's body is a mass of individual thetans stuck to oneself or to the body." Scientologists at this level try to rid themselves of these thetans (spirits) by helping each one to remember the painful experiences of being blown up like that.

Posted by: Stan | May 2, 2006 1:15 PM | Report abuse

He's a good actor and I like his movies, so I will see MI-3. I don't care if he is a nutjob. This is America. You're allowed to be a nutjob if you want to. As for Katie being brainwashed--why feel sorry for her? If her mind is so weak to fall for this, that's her problem.

Posted by: Fred | May 2, 2006 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Vicious Thoughtless Pack Media Attacks Another Human

Seriously, the media have no ideas. They just jump on the bandwagon. They also have no morals. Let's ruin a guy just for the hell of it.

So he's religious. It ain't a crime. Not yet. Neither is fallingin love and having a baby.

For cripe's sake, leave the guy alone already. Go pick on someone who deserves it, like a politician.

THE MEDIA SUCKS BALLS

Posted by: enoughalready | May 2, 2006 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Vicious Thoughtless Pack Media Attacks Another Human

THE MEDIA SUCKS BALLS

Posted by: enoug halready | May 2, 2006 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I tried to hate Tom Cruise after all of this jazz last year... and I begrudgingly accepted my girlfriends invitation to see him Speilberg's War of the Worlds. I tried to hate him in that, too. But you know what, when it comes to intense action movies, Mr. Cruise has it down to a 'Science' - I loved WotW, and I will definitely see MI 3 this weekend. BTW, Philip Seymour Hoffman is a big attraction in this movie also.

Posted by: MK - Madison, WI | May 2, 2006 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Do you mean to have those crossed out comments in your blog? Is it an editing thing or a style thing?

Posted by: Shop girl | May 2, 2006 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I don't care for his personal opinions but that's his right. I do have a problem with him calling Comedy Central and getting the South Park episode dropped. That's him abusing other peoples' rights. So, no... I'm not going to watch the movie. Which is too bad because I'd like to.

Posted by: deva | May 2, 2006 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Um, for anyone saying that Tom Cruise is "just religious"--have you seen his Matt Lauer interview? You can see the whole thing on the MSNBC website, and you can read a transcript. He basically sat there staring at some random invisible dot a few feet to Matt's right, and kept mumbling, "I'm just livin' life, I'm just livin' my life." He definitely appeared unhinged, and that was BEFORE he totally flew off the handle.

Posted by: jw | May 2, 2006 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I'll go and see Cruise's next movie when he squeezes out a 9 pound baby himself. Expert in psychology... NOT!

Posted by: EE | May 2, 2006 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I loved the quote from the Parade interview a few weeks back where the author described Katie Holmes' look as blank and vacant. She must have come to the realization that the "father" of her baby is a loon. Either that or the legions of Zendor have successfully infiltrated the Hollywood industry and she's just a pawn in the game of greed as evidenced by her meteoric rise to fame for having no talent whatsoever. No, wait, that's Tom I was talking about, not Katie. She's hot and talented, much like Paris Hilton.

Posted by: Sam F. | May 2, 2006 1:30 PM | Report abuse

seriously, i got tired of seeing tom cruise anywhere (tv/film/internet). i wanted to go see 'war of the worlds' but became totally disenchanted just by his erratic behavior. now i have no desire to see MI-3. sorry tom.

Posted by: chi | May 2, 2006 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Though Cruise's views on life are outrageous and put him on the brink of insanity, I believe his personal life makes him a even better actor.

Watching his movies, by no way do I think of him as the couch-jumping, placenta-eating, outspoken guy we see on talk shows. His querky antics makes me appreciate his acting even move than it used to.

Posted by: AP | May 2, 2006 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Not going to get sucked in your, "lets send Tom Cruise a message article". You set up the responses you get. Surely Tom cruise is rich enough and, obviously, independent thinker enough to not let your article bother him. The readers who posted such vile remarks should be as independent thinkers. Pity you can manipulate fools to comment like kids in a preschool class tormenting the strange kid. Pity and a shame. Shame on you.

Posted by: Karl Lion | May 2, 2006 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Karl, just because Tom says you should go off it, I think maybe your should pop a zanax. Just for old time's sake.

Posted by: jw | May 2, 2006 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I plan to go see MI:III, not because of "Thetan Tom" but because of JJ Abrams and Philip Seymour Hoffman. I'm figuring that the good out weights the bad.

Posted by: Tiff | May 2, 2006 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise is way out there, and is definitely beyond the pale of common sense in his personal life.

But that being said, I enjoyed the other 2 MI movies and I will go to the MI-III movie, just because I enjoy watching the "Ethan Hunt" character do his impossible action stunts to the Mission Impossible theme playing in the background.

Posted by: JWC | May 2, 2006 1:50 PM | Report abuse

For me, it's all about his South Park plots. I am boycotting the film (and anything else Cruise) because of the part he played in pressuring Comedy Central to pull the South Park Scientology episode.

Posted by: Dave | May 2, 2006 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Cruise is an actor-he makes his living by being someone he is not. What a shocker that he is nutty off screen-he is a good actor. I see (or don't see) anyone's films to be entertained, not to endorse the actor's lifestyle or behavior.

Posted by: Jay | May 2, 2006 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I am so tired of Tom Cruise. He is a one-dimensional actor--Tom Cruise playing Tom Cruise. He is an arrogant, egotistical, and self-absorbed. His ex-wives are well rid of him. He needs someone like Katie Holmes who is a relatively unknown actress with absolutely no personality who can't overshawdow him. His couch-jumping professions of love on "Oprah" was rediculous--a 43-year old man on national TV and the other incident making a complete and utter ass of himself on the "Today Show" interview with Matt Lauer on post-partum depression. That interview may come back to bite him. It's kind of ironic that Brooke Shields had her baby on the same day at the same hospital. Be careful Tom--you may find out exactly what post-partum depression really is and it can't be resolved with diet and exercise. Tom, payback is coming your way!!!!

Posted by: Mary | May 2, 2006 1:54 PM | Report abuse

JW, you do realize that probably 9 out of 10 comments saying leave him alone, he's just practicing his religion, are probably Scientologist plants, right? www.xenu.net is a good place to learn about the tactics of their "Church" -- they mostly involve lawyering people to death, but also whisper, slander, and rumor campaigns against anyone deemed an "enemy" of the "Church".

So Lizzie, did washpost.com get lots of angry objections to the previous mention of www.xenu.net from "average joes" claiming not to be Scientologists, trying to get the URL removed?

Posted by: The Cosmic Avenger | May 2, 2006 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise is, in the words of the inimitable Mark Mothersbaugh, "beautifully mutated."

Posted by: Dave | May 2, 2006 1:56 PM | Report abuse

My apologies to JJ Abrams and Phillip S. Hoffman, whom I love, but no way on earth will I contribute $ to see a film Tom Cruise is in. I think the people who are saying "what's the big deal?" are primarily men. Not trying to be sexist, but virtually every woman I know is so disgusted by Tom Cruise because of his comments about PPD and Brooke Shields and his brainwashing of Katie Holmes. Every woman I know feels that someone should rescue Katie and that there's definitely something fishy there. Even Veronica Mars made fun of it last week: After a Tom Cruise mention, she quipped "I hope he doesn't try to marry me." Anyone see Katie Couric's comments this morning? She's so out of touch (big surprise there); she said that she thinks most people set aside their personal opinions of Tom Cruise and will see his movies anyway. Even if I didn't want to boycot MI3 (and I love action movies!), I would be unable to get lost in the movie because I no longer see Tom Cruise's characters, just him, which makes me ill.

Posted by: Mel | May 2, 2006 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Wow, the blog comments automatically strip HTML tags...I suppose it's necessary, since otherwise they would be a much more high value target for spammers. But still, I wanted to post an active link to

WWW.XENU.NET

but I couldn't. Oh well. :D

Posted by: The Cosmic Avenger | May 2, 2006 1:59 PM | Report abuse

It's just that I can't stand to look at him. He's always freaked me out. I haven't seen any of his movies since Top Gun. To me he's like the high-school heart throb who gets anything he wants just by conceiving of it. Maybe I'm jealous or sour grapesy but that gives me the creeps.

Posted by: Melbahead | May 2, 2006 1:59 PM | Report abuse

OOPS! Did your editor forget to clear the strike-outs from this copy before posting it on the web? There are two places where changes appear to have been made (with strike-out lines)and replaced with other language--most notably in the first sentence: "[a complete freak of nature]an outspoken Scientologist." I have to agree, Tom is both a freak of nature and an outspoken Scientologist. I won't even bother to rent MI:III when it's out on DVD.

Posted by: Suzie | May 2, 2006 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Mid-life crisis.

He's in his 40s, younger smarter actors are closing in on him. He's not that intelligent so he can't fade gracefully into something else.

Posted by: Roseg | May 2, 2006 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Suzie: I believe those strike-outs are meant to be there--the blogger was just being funny.

Posted by: Mel | May 2, 2006 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise has made millions of dollars doing what he loves, and has dated or married some of the most beautiful women in the world.

The readers of the Washington Post are not his core audience, so the comments above could hardly be considered representative of public opinion.

Tom Cruise makes great action movies, and his personal life is his own business. If you watch Oprah, Matt, or The Insider you have already abandoned the intellectual high ground.

MI:3? Absolutely!

Posted by: Decker | May 2, 2006 2:05 PM | Report abuse

uhmmm, the lines are meant to be there. They are "tongue in cheek" (aka sarcasm).

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2006 2:06 PM | Report abuse

When Suri is 27 and has her first child, I wonder if Tom will announce that her name is too childish, she's a woman now and should be called Sir? Just wondering....

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2006 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I am so relieved to read sbo's comment: I thought I was the oddball who felt that way!
Whatever Mr. Cruise believes in is strictly his business, but I feel we would be excessively optimistic if we imagined there is not a young (or not so young) person out there suffering from depression who will harbor doubts about taking medication--if that's what's needed to alleviate his or her suffering--on account of Mr. Cruise's irresponsible pronouncements.
The price of one ticket by itself won't make a difference, but for years I've boycotted Mr. Cruise's hateful views the only way I can. I'm glad to know others do, too.

Posted by: m | May 2, 2006 2:11 PM | Report abuse

"Ethan Hunt" is an anagram of:

H. UN-THETAN

The "H." of course referring to Hubbard.

Posted by: WACKY FUN | May 2, 2006 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I find most things about Tom Cruise pretty offensive these days; he's entitled to his opinions but I'm entitled to find his superiority complex, is whacked-out religion and his distorted view of reality both amusing & annoying.

And I do. I really, really do.

But I'm not going to put a dime in his pocket.

Posted by: amo | May 2, 2006 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Crazy actors are nothing new - look at Brando. Cruise may crazy himself out of the market eventually.

I'll see the movie - I love a well-done action flick, and the first two were pretty good.

Besides, Phillip Seymour Hoffman is in it, and he's ALWAYS terrific!

Posted by: EGreen | May 2, 2006 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise is either on a controlled substance, has become psychotic, has allowed arrogance to supplant good judgement and civility -- or all three. Whatever the case, I used to enjoy his performances in such pictures as "A Few Good Men," and those made pre-3rd Millenium; but no longer. It's a shame and, yes, you should be wary. Howard Hughes was a responsible person before he went around the bend too.

Posted by: Tom in Lansdale, PA | May 2, 2006 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Another actor who thinks he knows everything about all fields of human endeavor because he has some ability to pretend he is someone he is not.

Perhaps if the media stopped hanging on the words of this and every other self-appointed "expert" as to their views about anything and everythingexcept what they get paid to do and which is their sole area of expertise, it would be less of an issue.

He and anyone can believe whatever they like. Don't see the media quoting the latest street-corner prophet.

Posted by: Ann | May 2, 2006 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I am not going to pay to see another Tom Cruise flick as long as I live. His "I know psychiatry" comment was just too much. Anybody who has been through the hell that is major depression knows that deeply depressed people need help from a qualified psychiatrist. A good psychiatrist and the appropriate medication have made the last three of my 46 years the happiest and most productive of my life. I just regret that I didn't get the help I needed sooner. A chemical imbalance is not a character defect. Mr. Cruise barely finished high school, is obviously extremely ignorant, and could use a little help and humility himself. Major depression is a life-threatening illness. My fear is that others may not seek the help they need because of Mr. Cruise's ignorant pronouncements, and that some will die because they listened to him and others like him. Therefore, I am boycotting all future Tom Cruise movies.

Posted by: attorneyofrecord | May 2, 2006 2:26 PM | Report abuse

It's easy to see the appeal of Scientology to folks like Cruise and Travolta, men who have acheived material success without much in the way of education. This may make them feel intellectually inferior, need to compensate, etc. Scientology, by supplying "secret" knowledge and a complete alternative worldview, gives them the opportunity to just negate the value of all the things they feel they lack. College? Don't need it, I'm a Level Six Thetan (or whatever). Read the Lauer interview. It's full of statements proclaiming "I know this stuff and you don't." It's like a mantra reassuring himself that his is the superior knowledge. And yet he really says almost nothing of substance, just "Drugs are bad."

Posted by: kgy | May 2, 2006 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Hello, I am Tom Cruise. If I have offended the women please forgive me. I was insensitive concerning women's special problems.

Just making an observation and speaking my mind. Wish you all, all of you, well.

Posted by: Tom C | May 2, 2006 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I and everyone I know has developed a pretty serious allergy to everything-Tom-Cruise. Just a glimpse of his face gives me the willies these days. It's really too bad, because like others have mentioned I would have liked to see Hoffman in his first mainstream flick, but I literally could not stand to spend two hours in a darkened room with T.C. Ick! My flesh crawled just now just thinking about it. He's dangerously ignorant, and Katie/Kate is just pathetic. And if they don't like their new public images, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Posted by: Heather | May 2, 2006 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow, you really think that was TC? I'm all tingly.

Posted by: jw | May 2, 2006 2:40 PM | Report abuse

As someone being treated for post-partum depression, I think the news he makes is appalling. We live in a very celebrity-focused society and I hate to think there are women not being treated for PPD because Tom Cruise said so. (And we'd love to think we are all smarter than to believe a celebrity, but I know an incident recently where a new mother drove with her infant on her lap and when stopped by police said she saw Britany Spears doing it)

Posted by: PPD | May 2, 2006 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Of course it wasn't him, it showed a shred of humility.

Posted by: Wacky Fun | May 2, 2006 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure MI3 will be great in DVD. So, I'll wait. As for Tom Cruise, is he really that different from the freak show known as Hollywood Celebrities? (Yes, I know I'm wallowing in moral superiority - indulge me).

Posted by: CT | May 2, 2006 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Oh but what about the short thing? Tom never wants anyone to see how short he really is.
Now I am a shorty myself and know a lot about how people are very judgemental of short people (human studies show short people are definitely discriminated against, particularly short men like me Napolean Complex, Song by ah Newman "Short People"), so I understand why an action star does not want to be seen as being short (Girls hate short men), but I would be proud if I was Tom and show my shortness to the world.

Also this explains a lot about Tom's personality who just wants to be .... Tom.

Posted by: From A Shorty | May 2, 2006 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I worked at Tom Cruise movie location before he was, "TOM CRUISE!".

I found him fairly strange (he gave me an odd response to a compliment to one of his movie performances) to downright rude (he snatched a book from my hand while I was reading it because he thought he knew the author personally).

That was a long time ago. I figure people change, mature, and gain wisdom, etc.

Its not surprising to me that he did the current things he did. What surprises me is that he's doing them NOW.

That said, he's been a pretty solid actor. I NEVER thought he'd pull off the vampire character in, "Interview with the Vampire". I waited for it to go to video.

Frankly, he nailed that role (pun intended).

The fascination of what celebrities do AFTER they've done what it is to make them celebrities, has always astounded me.

I read celebrity news NOT for news about celebrities -- but our/the media's fascination with them.

As for his new movie. I voted, "not sure" as to if I'll go see it. I didn't care too much for the first M-I, but liked the second. So I'll do what I do when I'm not sure...read what 5 or more critics have to write about it before deciding.

In non-celebrity news, last night, I caused a major evacutation of TWO buildings....with a single bag of overly microwaved popcorn. I found that my co-workers milling about outside the buildings...and the fire department, did not embrace my inadvertant blackened-cajun style popcorn.

Therein lies the perk of NOT being a celebrity. You'll read about it only in this post.

Ok....will some kiss up lackey get me my vente-half-caf-cocoa-carmel-latte-with-crumbled-mint-sprinkles, at the temperature I like (and you'd BETTER get that right or you're so fired).

................NOW!

Posted by: Coolworld495 | May 2, 2006 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I don't plan on watching MI3, but not because of Cruise, who I do consider eccentric (not crazy, that's for poor people, as Dennis Hopper explained...heh)
Its just that I recall the original MI TV series, and it was about brains, not action. Unlike the current franchise, which seems to be the opposite.
The franchise IMO jumped the shark in the first movie when the Helicopter followed the train into the Chunnel. No way..no way at all...on top of all the other improbabilities, that was waaaaay too much for me.

Posted by: Gamester | May 2, 2006 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise is cruising for the nut-job title, but a Michael Jackson he is not. There must be a psychological name for celebrities who lose touch with reality so much that they act irrationally, like Michael, Tom, and all the others in that category.

Posted by: Adam | May 2, 2006 2:42 PM | Report abuse

You're right--this is what the REAL Tom Cruise would have said:

"Liz, Liz, Liz. Liz. You're so glib. You don't know what you're talking about. I've done the research. Do you know anything about placentas? Have you done the research? Because I've done the research, and placentas are delicious. I'm just livin' my life. You should try to educate yourself before you try and write about something. Liz."

Posted by: jw | May 2, 2006 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Eyes Wide Shut is arguably the best movie of the last 50 years, despite Mr. Cruise. I always say that you don't have to like it, but you can't dismiss it, as this review does.

Posted by: Tony | May 2, 2006 2:50 PM | Report abuse

PSH has done mainstream, just not big parts. He was OK in "Twister" and quite memorable in "The Talented Mr. Ripley."

Posted by: kgy | May 2, 2006 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I never liked the guy or his acting all the way back to Risky Business. Tried watching Top Gun and let's be honest-other then the filmed sequences of jets, not a very good movie. I was disappointed to see him cast in War of the Worlds, I'm not even sure he could have done Wormtongue well in the LotR. I can say with absolute certainty; "I am not a fan!"

Now about his off screen antics-why do we even care? He is no more relevant then Jacko.

Posted by: D~ | May 2, 2006 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I agree completely with others who have said this already: while I think the couch jumping and Scientology is weird, that was just Tom being Tom I guess, and who am I to judge? But I have a sincere problem with Tom speaking out on post-partum depression which he has absolutely no scientific knowledge of, but unfortunately enough star power to really affect the choices some people make. I also have a huge problem with acknowledging that you can be both a Scientologist and belong to any other religion, but that for some reason, Katie Holmes had to deny her Catholic roots for him. And I just read the part about her being called Kate now because Katie is for young girls. Hmmmm, I have no problem with that on the surface but why does Tom need to explain to the world her reasons? It just reeks of him controling her every move.

Posted by: Jill | May 2, 2006 2:53 PM | Report abuse

"We (and Apple Corp.) self-righteously tell people, especially kids, to be different, to think different, to be unique, to be who we are, to be true to ourselves, to..."

Yeah, to be unique, not a brainwashed cultist.

Posted by: Wacky Fun | May 2, 2006 2:57 PM | Report abuse

As a social worker, Tom needs help. If he does this for publicity, it is a sad statement. If he does this because he is in love with Katie (interesting name for an "adult"), he should be with her and their baby NOW, bonding and supporting the mother of his child. Instead he is seeking publicity and exploiting his other children in the process. Way to go, Tom, what a man........what a father.

Posted by: Barb | May 2, 2006 3:06 PM | Report abuse

The guy is a good actor, that is what I will be paying to see.
I don't know him in real life, do you?

Posted by: charlie | May 2, 2006 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Whenever people study the old Roman emperors, upon learning of the tyrants' outrageous behavior they shake their heads and ask themselves, "Why did they do this stuff?" The answer--because they could. As long as Cruise is a big draw, he can behave any way he pleases (almost--we've evolved a little since ancient Rome). But he'll change his act real fast once he has a bomb or two, because the studio bosses will make it clear they're not going to invest more than a hundred million in a film if Cruise is going to continue to act like a loon.

Posted by: Octavian | May 2, 2006 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I still have a HUGE question that no one seems to be picking up (yet).

Remember when he was still married to Nicole, & all the publicity about *why* they adopted children? "Tom is sterile as a result of a childhood illness...."

So, how can this baby be biologically his?? He seems to be taking the credit. And if it is, why did his break-off with NK coincide with the discovery that she was pregnant (and apparently miscarried)??? (ie, it can't be mine 'cause I'm 'sterile')

As for the cult, I'm all for everyone living their beliefs, but I am wary of someone who, apparently without irony, has given themselves over to a belief system that was founded as a joke emenating from a SF writers' conference.

'W' magazine ran an interview with KH some months ago, and it showed a young woman over her head and unable to see or combat this programming. Sad, very sad.

Posted by: dahozho | May 2, 2006 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I think he's the sexiest man who has ever lived.

Nahh, Just messin' with ya! He's creepy and won't get a dime of my money. I agree with those who've said that they can no longer see TC as a character, only as himself.

Posted by: Enjay | May 2, 2006 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I decided a couple months ago to never again watch a Tom Cruise movie.

Posted by: eric | May 2, 2006 3:32 PM | Report abuse

The last year of TC's appearances in the public eye have shown him to be what he truly is... a dork! Oh yeah, a big yawn too.

Beam him up Scientologist's... please!

Posted by: CG | May 2, 2006 3:32 PM | Report abuse

No, I plan to boycott Mission Impossible III because Tom Cruise is a bad actor. Despite his frenzied efforts, he is unable to make me care one whit for any character he has ever played on screen. He's probably loony for the same reason our president is; he is a talentless, shallow person who has had life handed to him. In Cruise's case, this is because of his physical attractiveness, an accident of genetics he had no control over, any more than G.W. could control the fact that he was born into a family of millionaire statesmen. How such men become houshold names is beyond me.

Posted by: qued1967 | May 2, 2006 3:35 PM | Report abuse

The first two Mission Impossible movies were terrible. No way I'll see a third.

Posted by: Joel | May 2, 2006 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about his personal life? If you think you might enjoy the movie, go see it. He and the movies he stars in are not one in the same. Get a life you tabloid loving freks. It's just a movie.

Posted by: DD | May 2, 2006 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I have returned. Tom Cruise is my son and he will mete out judgement on all those who did not believe in the writings of my prophet L. Ron Hubbard.

Your souls of all non believers will be sucked dry of your trapped extra terrestrial energy and you will die a painful death.

Sorry,
Xenu

Posted by: Xenu | May 2, 2006 3:40 PM | Report abuse

All praise Xenu!

Posted by: TC | May 2, 2006 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Um, if I were you, I wouldn't compare Tom Cruise to Howard Hughes without knowing the first thing about either of these men. It's kind of absurd for a journalist such as yourself to allow tabloids to inform your reality. Remove the exclamatory headlines and media furor and you'll see that Cruise has done only one thing that's worth all this talk: he's made good movies (and gotten good movies made) for almost 25 years.

Posted by: JJ | May 2, 2006 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Don't plan on watching anything else he does. I really lost interest in him around the time he split with Nicole. Not for that reason, but around the same time. He is just totally not the same kind of person he used to be. Or at least he used to hide his wacky ways better.
Maybe he should drink the kool-aid?

Posted by: Micky | May 2, 2006 4:08 PM | Report abuse

"he's made good movies (and gotten good movies made) for almost 25 years."

more like "He was a hack in some cheesy teen films and action films, got two weepy serious roles that made him rich, and now bankrolls ego-wish-fulfillment action movies."

A few of his movies can be called good, and that's *despite* his work on them.

Posted by: Funball | May 2, 2006 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I will not watch this film because the Dark Lord Xenu has commanded that it shall be thus.

Xenu loves me this I know
For my Thetans told me so.
Everyone to him belongs
Hubbard is weak, but He is strong.

Yes, Xenu loves me
Yes, Xenu loves me
Yes, Xenu loves me
My Thetans told me so.

Posted by: John Smith 53433 | May 2, 2006 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Give the guy a break. His movies are incredible and always fun. That's what counts. Get off his back.

Posted by: givemeabreak | May 2, 2006 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Sure, he's a freak. But don't hate on Cocktail!

Posted by: r | May 2, 2006 4:30 PM | Report abuse

No way will I spend a dime on a TC product. Am at the point where I change channels when a MI:III promo comes on.

He's a sick, manipulative predator insulated by fame. His pattern of dating/marrying/dumping young and seemingly naive starlets (remember NK circa 1989/90?) to promote his 'normalcy' is obvious and cruel.

And, as a woman, his PDD comments are incredibly offensive. Yes, Tom, when you earn your GED, maybe I'll listen. Until you can bear a child yourself and deal with the effects, shut it.

Posted by: TS | May 2, 2006 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Cruise's MI is a pale deriviative of the original. What was then one of the most exciting ensemble acts on television has been stripped down to just another interchangeable "action hero" franchise. Cruise's ego brooks no co-stars, just supporting players who could not be more demeaned if they appeared in black face. It's a bit like sitting through some drunken blowhard's account of how he won the war.

As for the man, it's pathetic how little he seems to realize that he's being petted and exploited by an abusive cult with loony tune beliefs. Get a grip, man!

So I'm definitely going with "Other," because neither Cruise nor his movie merit my $8.

Posted by: A– | May 2, 2006 4:40 PM | Report abuse

EYES WIDE SHUT is the only film the author listed that is worth a damn. Author, defend your claim that EYES WIDE SHUT is a "real stinker".

(Rainman is worth half a damn.)

eric

Posted by: eric | May 2, 2006 4:51 PM | Report abuse

There is a breed of eccentric intellectual types that do become outwardly outrageous and obscure, and generally end up in isolation because a chemical imbalance, as Cruise is clearly in denial of for himself, tends to remove them and cast them unfit for society for their outlandish ideals.
If he was capable of being honest with himself on an emotional level, he would see his need for treatment, but he lives in the land of the make believe (Hollywood) will do strange things to an already unbalanced psyche.

Posted by: Katie | May 2, 2006 4:51 PM | Report abuse

mimi rodgers is no "starlet"! (Nor is kidman or cruz, for that matter.) Geez.

Posted by: babyjane | May 2, 2006 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I agree to the following:
"6. For any content that you post, you hereby grant to washingtonpost.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, exclusive and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part, world-wide and to incorporate it in other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed."
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/liveonline/delphi/delphirules.htm)

eric

Posted by: eric | May 2, 2006 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I HATE Tom Cruise, HATE HATE HATE!

Posted by: crusader bunnypants | May 2, 2006 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Last year after the strang behavor by Tom I did research into Scientology. Scientology is a dangerous cult.I will never see a Tom Cruise movie because I do not believe in financing Cults. Sceintology has never been a religion not even by Ron Hubbard it has always been a way for the writter to make money. To join sceintology you must be straped to a lie detector and asked questions about your life over a period of time you open up and reveal things you have done in your past. This information is than used against you if you ever decide to leave the cult. I think Tom Cruise movies would be just as great without him in them. I don't think of him as much of a actor just a pretty face. I really believe Tom is mentally ill the manic behavior are a sure sign of a man barely holding it together. I woud be fine with Tom throwing his money away on this cult, but he is constantly trying to push his beliefs done my throat and I'm saying enough of Tom Cruise. I would like to see more articles about this cult so people can judge for themselves, but scientology has a reputation for bringing lawsuits against reporter who try to report on the cults activities.

Posted by: Jeri | May 2, 2006 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Cruise is a certifiable whack job -- pure, plain and simple.

Russell Crowe is an actor -- only after you watch Crowe's characters for a while do you remember that you're watching Russell Crowe.

Cruise is NOT an actor -- he's a movie star. He used to be a matinee idol, but he has digressed and diminished to a movie star. But he is NO actor. Cruise aped a race car driver, aped an irish immigrant, aped a top gun pilot -- heck, he even aped as a real life husband to 3 different wives -- butyou never forgot you were watching The Whack Job.

Posted by: dcrolg | May 2, 2006 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Cruise has the right to be a moron. And I have the right not to support his moronity.

Actors and celebrities should shut their mouths about anything but their scripts. Because everytime they talk, its one less movie or album I can go see or buy.

I dread the day when sports figures start to speak out. So far, not very many have. Phew!

Posted by: Shut Up Morons | May 2, 2006 5:24 PM | Report abuse

It saddens me to see a person (TC) with such public influence expressing such harmful ideas about illnesses that already have significant social stigmas (post partum and other types of depression). His behavior has certainly turned me off of his personality, and I am reluctant to see his movies. I think, however, more good would be accomplished if we put a little less emphasis on the "I will never watch Tom 'the devil' Cruise again" bandwagon, and invested that energy into helping acctual people in our lives and communities get treatment for their depression.

Posted by: Jrant | May 2, 2006 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Placenta Boy is a nut - period.

Posted by: Erik | May 2, 2006 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Enough. Already.
He is a mere human being, after all.
Lets find some real hero to talk about.

Merisi's
Vienna for Beginners

Posted by: Merisi | May 2, 2006 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Tom is considerably less wacky than the Decider, Falwell, the Pope, and your average Christian Bishop; not to mention a zealot of any of the Abrahamic religions!

It is amusing to see people who believe in virgin births, images of God on subway walls and the like; considering Tom to be over the top.

Posted by: Chaotician | May 2, 2006 5:35 PM | Report abuse

For crying out loud he is an actor! Ignore him. How can anyone give him the least bit of importance?

Posted by: Hal | May 2, 2006 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I'm swimming up stream, but I am a Tom Cruise fan.
Color of Money with Paul Newman is one of my favorite movies and probably a turning point in the Cruisemeister's career to transform himself into the Movie Star that he is today.

Being a Movie Star comes with responsibilities and unfortunately most Scientologists I'v met are sort of really nutty, but in the big picture, no nuttier than other really religious people I have met. Talked to God lately? Best beware.
Opps, off subject again.

Tom is fool of himself lately and love will do that you know that is all. We should be happy for him, if this is his first real time falling in love.

Certainly his behavior is no where as bad as the Aussie Russell Crow whose films I will never go see again.

Cruise in MiP III should just be fun.

DANT DANT DA DANT DANT DA or something like that.

Not paid for by anyone assoicated with Tom Cruise.

Posted by: Richard Katz | May 2, 2006 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Vicious Thoughtless Pack Media Attacks Another Human

THE MEDIA SUCKS BALLS

Posted by: enoughalready | May 2, 2006 01:22 PM

==============================
How true this is! What I really find disturbing is the way the media elevates some poor unstable schmuck of a human being to a bizarre level of public interest and expectation, how the average joe somehow believes that what is said about the afore mentioned human being is true and then how the media turns in an instant on their former darling to tear them down in the most vicious public way possible. And how the public joins the fray, baying for ever more blood. That's what's really disturbing. And furthermore I aint a scientologist or a born again christian or a muslim or a calathumpian. I am just another human being who thanks providence that I am not exceptional enough to ever be subject to the fickle traitorous disgusting attention of the media. Present journalist definitely included.

Posted by: clang | May 2, 2006 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely adored him in Jerry Maguire and other flicks.

Absolutely adored Katie.

Now, afraid for Katie and pissed off about his anti-mental-health-care rants. To whatever extent a needy person listens to him, they're going to get hurt.

No way am I putting another penny in his pocket.

Posted by: Steve Boese | May 2, 2006 5:57 PM | Report abuse

tom cruise is a nut job - scientology is a dangerous cult - wouldn't give them a dime of my money - shame to miss hoffman play a bad guy tho...

Posted by: over-it | May 2, 2006 6:04 PM | Report abuse

What Tom Cruise says and does in his private life has nothing to do with his actor performance in a movie.

I watch a movie to enjoy myself. Support to people has nothing to do with my decision. If the movie is good, then all is well and I don't care at all about who the actor really is.

Besides, excentricity and Howard Hugues's type of people don't disturb me. I think the world needs a little bit of everything to be interesting. As long as it doesn't conflict with other people's lifes...

Posted by: Domino | May 2, 2006 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise is an over-rated actor. He has used his celebrity status to promote a cult. He really is offensive. I don't feel he has any allegience to his country. I wish the media would quit giving him air time to promote a cult religon and all his ridiculous comments about his personal life. Who cares?

Posted by: Peggy | May 2, 2006 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Two reasons not to see MI III. First, I was a fan of the original show. It was all about teamwork and outsmarting your opponent. In the first MI movie, T.C. was betrayed by his team. That was a betrayal of the whole Mission Impossible ideal.

Second reason: Tom Cruise. What an idiot. I'm starting to thing a recovery team needs to be sent in to rescue "Kate". He's starting to sound like he's making all the decisions for her. When was the last time she voiced an opinion?

Posted by: Mark | May 2, 2006 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise is okay. He's no different than anyone of us so-called normal folk, except he's rich. He's here today and gone tomorrow just like all of us. His movies are mostly enjoyable, so see them if you want to. All religion is bunk, so he is right there, akin to 87% of Americans, as of the last poll. His wacky beliefs of life are no different to believers in virgin births, raising dead people to life, feeding thousands of folk with a couple of loaves of bread, living in a place called heaven after death, et al, et al.

Posted by: chiasmus | May 2, 2006 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I really find scientology to be absurd, but its hypocritical to write him off because of his religion if you are a religious person yourself.

regardless, i think he's insane, but i thoroughly enjoyed his performance in Collateral. I dont see why the two worlds should collide.

Posted by: Nick | May 2, 2006 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I was recently called by the Nielson ratings folks and asked about current and soon to be released movies. They specifically asked about MI:iii and the reasons I might not see it. At first the reasons they listed were things like "I do not generally like action movies" or "There are other movies I'd rather see," but then they asked a LOT of questions about whether my opinion of Tom Cruise might influence my decision. They even asked (in a roundabout way) if the recent "South Park" kerfuffle might influence my decision (Yes).

This movie pits my determination never to see a Tom Cruise movie against my determination to see every Phillip Seymour Hoffman movie. What to do? WHAT TO DO!!!

Posted by: Science: YES, Scientology: NO | May 2, 2006 6:53 PM | Report abuse

The morning I watched the TC interview with Matt Lauer, I was stunned by what TC had to say and the manner in which he said it. I was never especially interested in his acting, but I was so repulsed by his arrogance and ignorance on the Today Show that morning that I made a conscious decision to avoid any and all things Cruise from that point on.

Posted by: Joan | May 2, 2006 6:53 PM | Report abuse

I watched him jump on Oprah's couch. Some "experts" and "psychologists" said if it were a "real love" he would not have been so "excitable".

The tabloids and evening news casts said this and that about him... I do not want to take sides on whether Tom Cruise is a typical guy or not, based primarily on what the media shows me. How unfair to Tom Cruise? I have never even met the man.

I am not a fan of very many in Hollywood because of their rants. I do wish they would stick to acting and not soap-boxing.

There is anticipation in seeing MI III for me.

Posted by: morethancorn.blogspot.com | May 2, 2006 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise has always been an OK actor. Why and how he became such an overpaid, overvalued, overpraised actor is beyong me. He was good in Risky Buisness and Cocktail. But, it seems that he is delivering the same "loveable drunk" character in any movie he plays in.

Is it just me, or, do others see his weird scientology episodes just in time for his movie releases...

Posted by: Skunk | May 2, 2006 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Why is 'complete freak of nature' crossed out?

Posted by: CJ | May 2, 2006 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Here's an idea:
maybe if you all got lives of your own instead of living for Tom's next breath, the media vultures would stop documenting his every move.

Posted by: she-who-lives | May 2, 2006 8:12 PM | Report abuse

130 comments and nobody mentions Collateral? One of his best performances, IMO.

he sounds pretty odd and maybe a little questionable but not so much that i'd avoid seeing a movie he's in simply for that reason. that said, M:I:III sounds very dud-ish.

Posted by: Eric | May 2, 2006 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise is crazy like a fox. What are we doing? We're talking about him. You've all heard the saying "There's no such thing as bad publicity." Well, here's your proof. Scientology, placenta-eating, jumping up and down on a couch, etc. get him talked about, keep him in the public eye, and keep him relevant. All brilliant public relations tactics, if you ask me. My bet is it's all fake -- he's really not a Scientology nut, but using their infamy to get attention...

Posted by: Brad | May 2, 2006 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mike Young | May 2, 2006 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Look, Tom Cruise is no stranger than you, or me! Afterall, he is an actor, so I expect for him to be fake. What is your excuse for being a phony in front of your friends, and colleagues? You don't get paid for it, unlike ole Tom Boy! What do you say, or do behind clothes doors Liz, that another writer would bash you about in their paper? Get a man, and a life. You know what gets me the most, is people like you, talk about stars, and if star same star wanted you, you would come running! Life is not perfect, some of us are different then others! And for the record, All of the hype will only help MI-3. Not every one in the world thinks negatively like most of you. And for the Clown that said Both MI1 & MI2 were terrible. You must have been the only 1 that thought that, because both movies racked up in the Box Offices. Normally when the first movie isn't good, the sequel makes no money! People, common sense is underrated!!!

Posted by: Michel De Niro | May 2, 2006 9:13 PM | Report abuse

What was wrong with Cocktail?

Posted by: Herm | May 2, 2006 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Tom" is out his mind, Cookie puff----------
He will realize that a baby is not a joke or a game for one day! A baby changes our entire life. He needs mental help.

Posted by: Crazy_ | May 2, 2006 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm waiting to see the Oliver Stone movie about the unnatural alien being inside Katie Holmes' belly. I'm certain that the government has by now confiscated the critter with the highforehead and gigantic eyeballs, taken it to Area 51 and presented Tom and Katie with a more presentable fat little bundle of cuteness. Stone will eventually expose it all in his blockbuster film several years from now.

Posted by: Unnatural Bump | May 2, 2006 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Cruise is a so-so actor who apparently obeys the law and pays his taxes. Who cares what he says, does or believes in his personal life? Unless a person can't think for themselves, I don't see how he should affect what you or I believe.

And isn't his girlfriend old enough to decide for herself.

As far as Scientology goes, it should be taken as a kind of metaphor or fable in my view (not literally) -- as should all religions. Some may find something useful in it to apply in their lives, others may not. Decide for yourself and let others do the same.

Posted by: Dave | May 2, 2006 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Well here we are on the eve of MI3...on the eve of another blockbuster from the hollywood stratospher star sect that is few and far between. Yes love him..or hate him cruise is another league of his own...some say universe or at worst a planet unto himself. What happened to that cool persona in the 80's that was Tom Cruise? Gone are the days of yore that made him what he is today? Is there no substance left(not that ther was much to begin with) but I saw Born on the 4th of July the other night and there it was talent, actual acting talent. Now tom has to jump on couches to garner attention. Aside from the whole scientelogy thing, at the heart should be the actor...unfortunally I believe that is gone to the mission impossible status. Should we care more about him bouncing up and down or chomping down on some BBQ placenta? or look at the craft of which he used to posess...I have been watching the trailers for MI3 and the usual gadgets, bombs and near misses even a CGI tommy getting thrown against the car(and still lives to tell and walk away from that one) (Much like the Duke from the Sands of Iwo Jima getting flung) But Tom you are no Duke, the Duke would never jump on Oprah's Couch!

Posted by: Cruise Control | May 2, 2006 9:55 PM | Report abuse

The Cruise Cool will forever be lost in tales of past lives, haunting memories of same and Scientology. An alleged religion, according to cult experts, it is THE hardest cult from which to deprogram taking as long as 13-14 years to fully regain sense of self.
Sure, I was once a Cruise fan back in the days of Top Gun, but now he seems way beyond "Top Weird." I frankly feel sorry for the guy.
My grandmother taught me that religion is free. To get to the highest levels of Scienctology costs a great deal of money and has finacally ruined too many people. Frankly, good news that comes from any God is free and should be shared about the community.
Tomweird and Kate-supplicant are an odd pair and Scientology is bad news-period.

Wish the IRS would wise-up.

Posted by: Buzzy | May 2, 2006 10:01 PM | Report abuse

I luv action flicks and will wait for the DVD. The hype seems to have shifted to Abrams the writer/director to seemingly take Tom out of the loop. A jerk with power seems dangerous to investors and $ return is really the end game. I suspect mr Cruise will be around a long time and anticipate an image rebirth soon to erase those bad spots.

Posted by: wildwest949 | May 2, 2006 10:14 PM | Report abuse

okay okay, so you don't like the looney cult he belongs to, or how he treats his wife. I won't argue that.

But look at his great movies like....

ummm....

Eyes Wide Shut. Brilliant film. Tom Cruise works in that one because he does a brilliant job of playing a one-dimensional good-looking guy who's really into himself. A real stretch for Tom.

and don't forget...uh....

ummmm...
risky business.

...and Top Gun? Perhaps one of the greatest films on the state of gay men in uniform (Google for "TOP GUN GAY")....

and uh...
well.

There's uh...Jerry McGui...no, that one sucks.

Well, of course there's Vanilla....no that one sucks too.

Dead Calm. Nice thriller. Oh wait. That's Nicole Kidman. Never Mind.

Anyway, I looked it up on IMDB and its pretty clear he has 2 great movies, and 1 of the greatest homo-erotic movies ever made (Top Gun).

And to all you haters claiming Tom is gay, I say, so what. What a man does in his private time is nobody's business but his own. I find men willing to eat their own baby's placenta charming.

Posted by: Film Critic | May 2, 2006 10:15 PM | Report abuse

I was interested to see PS Hoffmann as a badguy- but Cruise decided to wage his Hollywood jihad on South Park. *Awesome!* Like all the other Real Americans out there he's doing a Patriot's duty in torching everything that held this country up for in the first place. I hear sneak previews of MI-3 have a free burqua giveaway for the women... who have to sit in a special cone of silence seating area all to themselves.

Posted by: Shazbot | May 2, 2006 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise is today's Michael Jackson. he just gets weirder by the second.

Posted by: Jm | May 2, 2006 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I don't watch Woody Allen movies since the whole marrying his step-daughter thing. I don't buy or listen to Michael Jackson's music since....well, the late 80's? Similarly, I don't watch Tom Cruise after he's completely left planet Earth for some planet near Pluto.

Skeevy.

Posted by: liz | May 2, 2006 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise is a good actor. Good actors are not missionaries. They are not superheroes. They are not (usually) brilliant paragons of human intellect. He's a good actor because he's exceptionally good at portraying people other than himself. And that's the only skill required.

What kind of person do you think is best suited to do this kind of work? People who don't like themselves very much, or who at least like being other people better, who like crawling into the skin of other people more than they like existing in their own. Well... looky. Tom Cruise seems to be a freak with some serious issues who seems to prefer being other people. That's PRECISELY why he's a great actor. Heck, I'm not even sure Tom Cruise knows who Tom Cruise really is.

As long as he doesn't dangle his child off a balcony or feed pre-teens "Jesus Juice" before dragging them into his bed, I don't much give a flip what he does or says.

The minute I start allowing actors or musicians or radio personalities to affect my tastes in pop culture or in anything else, for that matter, then I'm already on the fast train to hell.

Posted by: Billy Faires | May 2, 2006 10:45 PM | Report abuse

tom Cruise is not acting in movies he is following a director direction. I have asked a professor of art major about Tom's acting ability and he chuckled since the professor acted in a movie with Tom I was interested in his responce. Brando was a great actor he bought a idea to a table. Tom is a follower not a free thinker. Scientology is a cult if Tom kept to the closet that would be fine but every movie I have to hear him say how I should live my life. Any one can look good with props look at Tom. Kate walk to the light and then run.

Posted by: Overated | May 3, 2006 12:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm boycotting Mi:3 because Cruise went after Comedy Central which in turn censored South Park. I like Mission Impossible and tend to like his acting. His personal choices seem nutty, but that's his life and I don't really care. However, using his clout to pressure networks to censor shows is not a private issue. If he ceases such actions, I'll be happy to watch his future movies.

Posted by: Greg | May 3, 2006 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise is so powerful yet so out of touch that he would make a great high-ranking member of the Bush administration.

Posted by: Kirk | May 3, 2006 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Since WHEN were the Mission Impossible movies anything but AMAZINGLY DULL, FORMULAIC, and STUPID? I was bored to tears the first one I saw on video, and fast-forwarded through most of it when I wasn't falling asleep.

Typical Hollywood crap. Keep 'em coming Tommy Boy, your "star power" sinks lower with each new release.

Posted by: Brod | May 3, 2006 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Re: Tom Cruise planning to eat his baby's placenta.

I am no fan of Tom Cruise and thinks he is plenty weird. However, I must point out that it is an established practice in Chinese medicine to eat baby placenta for its effect in boosting the immune system of the diner.

Posted by: New York City guy | May 3, 2006 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Collateral is one of my favorite movies. I thought Tom Cruise did a great job in that.

As for Scientology being some whacked out 'cult', well...Jews and Christians believe that a plant (Burning Bush) talked to some guy. God also apparently created the Earth in 7 days and magically created a whole race from just 2 people. Talk about incest! He also managed to cause a woman to give birth without ever having intercourse. Oh, and nuns are called brides of Christ.

ANYWAY, that's not to say Scientology hasn't done some really creepy stuff, but Tom Cruise is basically harmless. And I will be seeing MI:3.

Posted by: Chung | May 3, 2006 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Totally Gay. Period.

Posted by: Mark | May 3, 2006 12:12 PM | Report abuse

As long as Tom Cruise was not infringing on other people's freedoms, I could care less what he does.. It is a free country and he is a good actor.

However.. Once he messed with the rights of Comedy Central in getting the South Park episode pulled, he crossed over the line of Crazy Uncle Tom to a freedom hating terrorist... :-)

That's right.. I called Tom Cruise a terrorist! :-)

Posted by: Dorf | May 3, 2006 12:13 PM | Report abuse

The reason to boycott the movie has nothing to do with Tom Cruise and everything to do with the fact that the only thing that connects these movies with the MI concept is the theme music. The whole concept of the series was that the impossible missions were TEAM efforts, not solo jobs, where each person brought a separate skill to the table. If you want a modern incarnation of Mission Impossible, go rent Oceans 11.

Yes, Tom's a nut job, and the sooner the press stops reporting on him and the sooner we all just ignore it, the better off we will all be.

Posted by: Cliff | May 3, 2006 1:20 PM | Report abuse

So he's a fruitcake, so what? Many actors I've admired on the screen have turned out to be inarticulate/dopey/idiotic/stupid in private life. Who cares? I don't care about Cruise's private life (or any other celeb's private life) or watch or listen to his interviews. He's a REALLY good actor and that's what I like and pay for.

Posted by: lenny-t | May 3, 2006 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I agree, I think no one should be allowed to publicly voice opinions that differ from the status quo, without being shunned.

I think that's a fantastic idea!

That way, we'll keep people from being "brainwashed" into ideas that are different from the mainstream! Let's keep these whack job "free thinkers" where they belong -- in the history books!

Oh, and while we're at it, we should DEFINITELY censure all public personalities who act overly "happy." I think it's been scientifically proven now that happiness is a mental disorder. Especially uncontrolled fits of "love" or "fatherhood" -- yech!!! Medicate them quickly!

Oh, and isn't it funny that Tom Cruise's movies make a ridiculous amount of money, practically every time?? It's as though most people actually LIKE him! As though the screaming minority are so few that they can't even make a dent in the box office!

But at least we're loud!

Or maybe most people are more weirded out by cultish anti-Tom internet critics than by Tom Cruise himself.

But who cares! Screaming about hating famous people on the internet is so fun, isn't it?!?! HAHAHAHA!!!

Posted by: Say No to Free Thinking | May 3, 2006 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Methinks, Coolworld495, that you never read the book, Interview With a Vampire, for Tom Cruise was terribly cast and didn't come close to pulling it off.

Stuart Townsend was much better as Lestat.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2006 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Andrew Sullivan on boycotting MI:3. Not because of Cruise's personal beliefs (which are grating), slightly because of his paternalistic attitude towards the woman in his life (which she seems to be going along with, so que sera sera), but mostly because of the Comedy Central ordeal. Tom Cruise is anti-free speech, and it seems to me that with respect to media control, Scientology is not far off from fascism.

Posted by: paulette | May 3, 2006 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Yeah the guy has some odd views....but don't we all to some degree? It's the media who has given him his pseudo-god persona by giving him the coverage...to put dollars in their own pocket!

Posted by: Todd | May 3, 2006 3:32 PM | Report abuse

The placenta comment was a joke, and quite naturally picked up the British tabloid media as truth.

Unfortunately, once a partiuclar narrative has taken hold, people tend to interpret all new information within that framework (while ignoring facts that contradict it).

Someone earlier mentioned sperm counts. Well, this is a rather simple affair: consult the documentary record. The magazines (British and German) publishing those accusations rescinded their claims (and had to pay compensation).

The same goes for the (often homophobic) gay allegations: What evidence do you have? this is one of the most scrutinized people in the world, and no one anywhere can generate a shred of evidence that rises upon second-hand rumor.

In the wake of the Katie Holmes relationship, many people claimed the whole thing was "faked" to promote their upcoming films (as if Batman Begins and War of the Worlds desperately needed added publicity). Then there were added rumors that there was a "screening process" by which Cruise "interviewed" up and coming starlets. None of this was proven, of course (and one of those women said the story was fabricated).

These same people would also have us believe that Katie Holmes is simultaneously "brainwashed" and also under contract to protect those (unsubstantiated) gay rumors.

The circumstantial evidence alleging Cruise personally pulled some episode of South Park (which, incidentally, has not been funny for years) doesn't seem to warrant these hysterical tantrums.

Yes, Scientology is idiotic; yes, Mr. Cruise's views on drugs are dangerous and misinformed.

But eveyrone is blowing everything he does out of proportion. Wow, he jumped on Oprah's couch. Tom Cruise is sane compared to the gossip mongers.

"What has Tom Cruise done that's so horrible. He hasn't been in rehab or arrested for druck driving or beating his wife.

If you are going to stop going to see someone's movies, it should be someone like Robert Downey Jr."

Well said.

Posted by: Mike M. | May 3, 2006 3:41 PM | Report abuse

It is not the critic who counts. Not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dusta & sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; Who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. Theodore Roosevelt 26th President of the United States (1858 - 1919)

Posted by: Sparkle | May 3, 2006 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Liz Kelly is an evil gossip.

Posted by: Homer | May 3, 2006 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Are the speculations that there is no baby serious? Didn't Katie (I'll call you Kate if you say you want it, dear) give birth in a hospital where staff saw her?

Posted by: Billie | May 3, 2006 4:15 PM | Report abuse

The questions are crappy. What if I don't want to go see the movie because it looks like a bad movie? I'm not going to answer that I don't like ALL action movies just because this one looks bad.

Posted by: jackson | May 3, 2006 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Amazing how many people have something to say about the personal life of an actor they don't really know.

Posted by: Dan | May 3, 2006 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I think people take far too much interest and give way to much credit to Tom Cruise and his crazy antics as an important part of their life. So what if he's a nut job? If you like him as an actor, then go see the movie. If not, then don't. Who said you have to listen to much less give a flying fin about his views on anything else? Just read the script, that's all I'm paying for him to do. I don't want to know about your baby, your religion, or what you like to cuddle next to at night. Turn off the E! Entertainment Network, put down the People Magazine and realize that he is just an actor, nothing more, and nothing less. Leave his off-screen persona just that, off my TV screen. I'm tired of hearing about it.

Posted by: Michael | May 3, 2006 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I think MI3 will be fantastic! Cruise loves making movies, and he has a great team to work with on this one. JJ and the team will deliver thrilling entertainment. If it's true China banned it, then it must be more interesting than I thought it would be.

The movie has nothing to do with his beliefs or romance. I wish him well in both of those, as he is a megastar in films.

Can't wait to see a picture of Suri and the proud parents together.

Posted by: Katherine | May 3, 2006 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I enjoy Cruise's antics. They are hysterical and (so much)fun to ridicule. The amount of free entertainment this man provides is incredible.

I think anyone that makes a medical or religious decision based on the remarks of an actor ... well ... that person has bigger problems.

Let Tom be Tom. A good time will be had by all!

Posted by: Alicia | May 3, 2006 5:46 PM | Report abuse

There are many reasons why I could justify not going to see MI3. The fact that the first Mission Impossible was awful, with a tortured, ridiculous plot and overemphasis on overblown action scenes. The fact that it had little connection to the old TV series which are classics to this day. Or maybe the fact that Tom Cruise is a poor actor. Or Maybe that TC is an intolerant, religious zealot and freak who is stupid enough to believe the nonsense spewed by his cult and arrogant enough to try to impose that view point on others. Or maybe it could be that whole being loony part. Or that whole lobbying to can that South Park episode because his religion doesn't believe in letting people have their own viewpoint on things if it doesn't gel with the authorized version of reality.

In case you haven't guessed, I will simply not go see the movie for all of the reasons above.

Posted by: Alex | May 3, 2006 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I will not pay for any Cruise movie until Comedy Central stops blacklisting the South Park scientology episode.

FREE HAT!!

Posted by: Stormy Dragon | May 3, 2006 11:27 PM | Report abuse

I have just never liked Tom Cruise. So I now make it a "point of honor" :) not to watch his movies. I never thought he was that good-looking (at least to merit all the attention he gets) or that great an actor. I know that I have missed out on some good movies (Collateral comes to mind), but he just doesn't "do it" for me in any way. His behavior now really doesn't factor in my decision, although he does seem to be coming a bit deranged in his excesses. I feel sorry for Katie Holmes/Cruise, because it seems the actresses Tom takes up with do better without him than with him.

Posted by: Svlad Cjelli | May 4, 2006 3:06 AM | Report abuse

I have never met anyone...I repeat ANYONE...who, even once, stated "I love Tom Cruise. I can't wait to see his next movie". Even back in the day, when he was only mildly offensive due to his stilted acting and overblown image, I never heard anyone profess that they were a fan of his. I think his people pay those "fans" who show up to scream his name at premieres. I really feel people go to see his movies because of the genre and marketing rather than his presence on screen. His "serious" films ("Magnolia") are snoozefests and the rest of his filmography is pretty poor, except for the intermittent entertainment value in seeing poor Tom utterly outclassed by costars like Paul Newman or Jack Nicholson. And he's not gay, just strange.

Posted by: Ripper2 | May 4, 2006 8:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure if anyone else has been checking back to look at the poll, but something kind of interesting seems to have happened to the results.

On Tuesday, when the poll was posted, there were approximately 7,000 votes by the end of the day and the verdict was strongly against Tom Cruise -- about 70 percent of those original respondents said they would NOT go see "Mission: Impossible 3" and the majority of those respondents said they would not go because they did not like/agree with Tom Cruise. That result is not surprising considering most of the above comments underscore that viewpoint.

Then, yesterday, an additional 15,000+ votes came in -- all firmly on the side of Tom Cruise and "M:I3".

The poll is unscientific, but this is an interesting development and I'm not sure what to make of the delayed support for Tom Cruise. Could it be that his fans don't surf the Web on Tuesdays?

Posted by: Liz | May 4, 2006 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Parade Magazine had a poll asking if any one liked Tom Cruise and so on. It had a overwhelming response infavore of Tom. So they did some checking since the comments being sent in against Tom did not match the poll. They found 20 votes from one computer alone. I would not trust the end results but the first. Tom is a control freek and he is manipulating your polls. Thank god he is a actor and not running for office. Scientologist is a dangerouse cult and I agree with the comments above I think they pay fans to show up at his premier. That would be a scoop if a reporter actually attends the premier and finds out the truth. Scientology claims they can make anyone successful in their career choice I think they will stop at nothing to make their members successful. I'm sorry but I think they are very dangerous. I have a choice to go to any church I want to I can join or not and to state what I would like my church to offer. When you join Scientology you have no choice no one ever leaves Scientology that is why they are a cult not a religion. Keep writing Liz get the truth out about these freaks.If I was Katie I would take the 8 million and leave town.

Posted by: Jeri | May 4, 2006 12:13 PM | Report abuse

He's an OK actor but otherwise everything about him is a fraud. His marriages are public relations stunts managed by his studio and agents, covering up either his asexuality or homosexuality (either of which is fine if honestly admitted). His religion is one of the greatest (and most bizarre) frauds perpetrated on fools and the feeble-minded. If he is actually the father of his child, it was through a test tube. We would all benefit if he were to remove himself from the our gene pool and live on another planet with his fellow nutjobs.

Posted by: Nelson | May 4, 2006 1:16 PM | Report abuse

"Can we say that celebs who have passed their time have jumped the couch?"

Amen.

I just wish he'd go away, take some vicodin, and maybe have a career comeback in 15 years a la travolta. I think Cruise has a singular quality and can be a great actor (MAGNOLIA!), but he's such an irritating movie star.

Posted by: Funke | May 5, 2006 10:48 AM | Report abuse

It is always tempting to call someone a "nut" whose spiritual beliefs are not our own. It would be rather more appropriate, in the case of Tom Cruise and other Scientologists, to call the accused gullible, for Cruise and the rest have fallen for an incoherent collection of pseudoscientific nonsense.

Perhaps the popularity of Scientology amongst Hollywood stars ought to tell us something about the intellectual skills of the show business elite--they may be pretty and interesting and even well-spoken, but they may not be terribly smart. It may be that Cruise is not crazy but merely dumb. That said, it is unfair to compare him to Howard Hughes--unfair to Hughes that is. For all his authentic mental illness, Hughes was also a genius, of sorts. Unlike Hughes, who desgined airships and created companies, and so forth, Cruise has done nothing but appear in movies and on television. He is as empty as a celluloid image.

nuff said

Posted by: dcp | May 5, 2006 6:30 PM | Report abuse

It is actually a shame to see such hatred directed at another human being who has really, to the best of my knowledge, done very little to deserve it. Maybe his self assurance does rattle the less-than-secure. His success may understandably rouse some jealousy from those dissatisfied with their own lives. And humanity has always shown a penchant for religious hatred, especially if that religion somehow threatens the status-quo (Christians were, as we all know, thrown to lions). It's just disappointing to see it all so vividly portrayed here.

As far as his films go, some are good, some aren't. There are certainly types if roles he's better suited to than others. As for his personal life, his choices are his. He's obviously looked into Scientology for himself (and not just read blogs posted on the internet that may or may not be true) and found something there he can use. If he wants to talk about it on television, so be it. If it were truly a problem, then why would programs bend over backwards to have him on? What I don't understand is why the people who claim to hate him so much know so much more about him than I do, who think he's an all right guy? I hate George W, which is why I know next to nothing about him. Something strange indeed about people who hang on every word of people they say they hate.....

Relax and get a worthwhile purpose in your life that actually helps us all move forward as a civilization and you may find you're a lot less bitter.

Posted by: rkk | May 6, 2006 6:47 PM | Report abuse

He's rich and weird, what else is new. I for one salute him for being so weird in the public eye.

Normally when rich people go crazy like this they've usually got a PR emergency team in the way to fix it. It's nice to see that celebs can be just as confused about important issues as normal people.

Maybe now people will stop taking personal advice from actors and other people in the media and go do some research on it themselves.

Pigs might also learn to fly.

Posted by: skk | May 6, 2006 8:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what the author's real gripe is with Tom Cruise - this author obviously needs to do a lot more research into his actual behaviour, rather than nipping away with a few sound "bites". Tom Cruise supports some of the worlds greatest social betterment campaigns and has actively engaged himself in improving conditions in society. I am not a Scientologist but I have researched their philosophy and practices. And all I can say is that they strive and manage to do a lot of good in our society. Leave them to it, I say. Tom Cruise and his group do not deserve to be attacked by individuals who feel insecure and affraid of other people in society becoming more able.

Posted by: Scott Allmark | May 9, 2006 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Interesting to note that all of the people who believe in the expression of their own opinions don't even bother to give their real names.

In truth, this whole discussion reads like a witch hunt of a man's personal beliefs, one for which most of the idiots on here don't even know what they're speaking about and don't care if they are accurate or not.

This is the way people's reputations are destroyed and I daresay that any one of us, if we fell under the scrutiny of the media in the way that Mr. Cruise is, would appear just as odd if they wanted us to be perceived that way.

Jumping on couches, falling in love, having opinions different than the favored majority at this time...none of these are bad things.

I love the man's movies. Period. He's pretty sensational on the screen. I look forward to seeing MI:3. My prediction: It will be a smash hit!

Every society honors it live conformists and its dead troublemakers.
Mignon McLaughlin)

Posted by: Carolyn Carter | May 9, 2006 12:23 PM | Report abuse

What's the big deal? His first movie didn;t hurt the box office income and he was a Scientologist then, so why now? Is it Katie and the baby? What are people findng so wrong with this fine actor. I didn't plan on seeing the movie before reading all this controversy, but I am going to see it now!

Posted by: Geri McFarland | May 9, 2006 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Scientologist flunkie whose indentured servitude duties including coming here and defending Tom Cruise, and glibly asking "What's the big deal" and "His movies are great! Who cares about his views!" and getting defensive on behalf of "unconformity," as though that word adequately describes how profoundly offensive his remarks were to PPD sufferers and those who need medication. I'm also paid (very little) to stack the vote, to make it look as though The People Have Spoken, and we'll all turn out en masse to see MI.

When I come to my sense and leave this sham "religion," I'll finally be able to tell the truth about how little I care about Tiny Tom Cruise, assuming Scientology's lawyers don't try to intimidate me through excessive litigation designed to stifle my freedom of speech. Until then, I'll keep bleating the buzz words...witch hunt! Unconformity! It'll be a smash hit! Jealousy! Bitter!

Posted by: A. Fake Name | May 9, 2006 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Wow- what a list of comments. I do love Tom Cruise, and I can't wait to see his next movie.

When I was younger I thought Tom was totally hot. Come to think of it, I still do. I also think he's a good actor, and I LOVED MI:3. Not even just for him- it's a great movie.

He's being criticized because of his personal life?

He believes in something and did what he thought was right to help other people. When did that become bad?

We're allowed to speak our minds here and he isn't? What a double standard.

If you like action movies, see MI:3. If you dont, don't.

Per http://allcharts.org/movies/, MI:3 is #1 in the US, Germany, Italy & Australia. Apparently more people like the movie, and/or Tom, than you think.

It's a MOVIE. I personally think it's great that Tom's not a wimpy guy and cares enough about other people to speak his mind regarding what he's seen help people.

Oh, and did anyone catch that he apologized up above? Hmm. He must be human, huh?

Have a great day, everybody.

Posted by: Wake Up and Smell the Coffee | May 10, 2006 4:48 PM | Report abuse

What a great guy Cruise is. He gets up the nose of the envious, puerile creeps that like to take a swing at anyone who tries to live a decent, honest and worthwhile life---

Hollywood would be a better place if more were like him.

Posted by: david banks | May 15, 2006 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise is the biggest star in Cinema and has been
for some time. Why is that? The cream always rises to the top.
His positive intensity is unsettling to a minority of people, because
they can't handle it. It's all too good to be true, according to them, and if it is true, it's not fair. Jealousy is a weak character trait.

Let him achieve and reach for the sky...the more any one of us reaches, the more we all reach. Think about it.

To think you know someone from a few soundbytes or headlines in the media is fairly nutty. What if someone took a snippet from your life and slandered you with vengeful hatred?

Tom Cruise is trying to help people and live the American dream of being all you can be. Most Americans have some kind of spirituality, Scientology is his. And Christianity was also labelled a cult or sect and in some quarters, it still is.

Bottom line is that he is a human searching for a higher place, like we all are and we are all misunderstood from time to time.

Live and let live, people.

Posted by: allen | May 21, 2006 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Hello, Loved your website
Thanks!

Posted by: Noy | August 16, 2006 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Hello, Loved your website
Thanks!

Posted by: Spirit | August 16, 2006 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Hello, Excellent site,Thanks

Posted by: Horse | August 26, 2006 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Hello, Very good site with nice info's
http://african-american-natural-hair-care-tip.wepaw.org http://dominican-hair-care-product.wepaw.org
Thanks!

Posted by: Shindler | August 29, 2006 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Who is Tom Cruise?....was he in any movies?...can he act?...is he grown up?...

Posted by: Brian | September 2, 2006 10:38 PM | Report abuse