Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 05/11/2006

Hanks's Record: Catch Him if You Can

By Liz Kelly

What do David Blaine and Tom Cruise have in common? Well, aside from any lame jokes about Blaine's latest mission impossible, both men would probably be pretty happy to have a little of Tom Hanks' mojo.

Tom Hanks with co-star Audrey Tautou in a scene from the upcoming "Da Vinci Code." (AP/Sony Pictures)

Hanks, without entering a water-filled bubble or jumping on any couches, has set the Guinness World Record for "Actor With Most Consecutive $100 Million Grossing Movies." In fact, it's not even Hanks' first world record. He's also tied with seven other actors for "Most Oscars Won, Best Actor."

Not bad for a guy who got his start cross-dressing on "Bosom Buddies" and starring in the made-for-TV movie, "Mazes and Monsters" (Does anyone else remember that thinly-veiled Dungeons and Dragons cautionary tale?). Or mayhaps you remember him as out-of-control Uncle Ned on "Family Ties?"

Ancient history but, apparently, good training ground for a bona fide box office sure thing (well, except for "The Ladykillers").

Next week's debut of "The DaVinci Code" will probably further his $100-million movie marathon (the book has been firmly planted on the New York Times Bestseller list for 162 weeks). And, no slouch, Hanks already has at least four other movies in pre-production.

Here's to Tom Hanks, record-breaking leading man, who gives us plenty of fodder for discussing our favorite Hanks films. I've always been partial to "Big," "Forrest Gump" and "The Green Mile." How about you? Favorite Hanks role? And, is there anyone out there who doesn't like him?

And, yes, I'm gushing.

By Liz Kelly  | May 11, 2006; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Vince Vaughn Not Ready for Marriage, Kids
Next: Morning Mix: Nicole Dishes on Paris; Is J.Lo Pregnant?

Comments

And Hanks also has been in 14 total films that have grossed more than $100 million. Tom Cruise is right behind at 13 and will soon be at 14 with "M:I3." But I'm sure Hanks will move to 14 with the "Da Vinci Code." Harrison Ford, who has three "Star Wars" films and three "Indiana Jones" films on his list, has been stuck at 11 since "What Lies Beneath" in 2000.

Posted by: Matt | May 11, 2006 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Love Tom Hanks. And don't forget "Philadelphia." Tom and Denzel, could it get any better than that?

Posted by: sam | May 11, 2006 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Tom Hanks is no Dr. Langdon. He could be Audrey Tautou's dad.

Posted by: www.HeatEatReview.com | May 11, 2006 11:05 AM | Report abuse

What about "Cast Away"? That was an unbelievable, riveting one-man show. I realize they didn't want him to hold the absolute record for most Oscars, but he should have won for that, too. He was tied with Mel Gibson as my favorite actor ever until Mel Gibson turned into a total wackmobile, so now Hank has the #1 spot in my mind all the way. I'm gushing too.

Posted by: cj | May 11, 2006 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I actually don't really like him. I don't think he's a fantastic actor -- I think he has a fantastic agent.

Posted by: Jay | May 11, 2006 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I have always been a huge Tom Hanks fan. I even liked 'Joe vs. the Volcano.' Someone recently asked me, "why is Tom Hanks so popular?" Easy, his humility. In every single movie, no matter what the subject, he's just a regular guy. He's never over the top. He's some guy that could be 'us' or your next door neighbor. All his characters aren't perfect, are kinda bumbling, and you always ROOT FOR. He's just a great guy all around!

Posted by: Clickums | May 11, 2006 11:19 AM | Report abuse

My kids love him. I heard about Apollo 9 for days after they saw it.

My 17 year old read 'The Di Vinci Code'. When he reads something you know it's going to be big!

I will be quite happy to take myself and my family to help him gross $100 million on this movie as well.

Posted by: RoseG | May 11, 2006 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I truly believe he deserved a third Oscar for "Apollo 13." But my favorite is "Splash."

The Spencer Tracy of our times.

Posted by: Rich | May 11, 2006 11:40 AM | Report abuse

My favorite Hanks role is in Big, but I am also a big fan of Philadelphia and A League of Their Own.

Posted by: CindyJ | May 11, 2006 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I would not be one to argue that he has immense acting skills, but Big still is one of my favorite movies...

Posted by: M | May 11, 2006 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Tom Hanks: Oakland boy and Cal State Sacramento grad goes big time.

I'm still wishing I could be at Cannes on May 17, my 55th birthday, to see "The Da Vinci Code" since the effigy of my distant great-grandfather, William Marshal, 4th Earl of Pembroke, is on the floor of the London Temple Church and sure to be in the film, since it was a plot device in Dan Brown's book.

At least, on May 19, I'll be able to see the inside of Lincoln Cathedral since filming for "Da Vinci" took place there, instead of Westminster Abbey. I'll get a brief visual glimpse of the inside of Lincoln Catherdral, compliments of Ron Hoaward. Lincoln Cathedral is the burial place of my distant great-gramdmothers, Katherine de Roet Swynford Lancaster/Beaufort, and her daughter Joan Beaufort.

Traveling by movie seat (armchair traveling, I call it) to these British locations ought to be worth the price of admission--my movie ticket--alone. If only Sony would give me a seat at Cannes. *sigh*

More on Lincoln Cathedral at these news websites from Britain.

Posted by: Loomis | May 11, 2006 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I LOVED TOM HANKS UNTIL HE STOOPED TO THIS LEVEL OF ACTING IN THE FARCE "DA VINCI" CODE.

Posted by: Sharon | May 11, 2006 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Loomis,

This is off the topic. Have you ever read Anya Seton's book Katherine? It's about Katherine de Roet Swynford Lancaster/Beaufort. It's a good book.

Posted by: bonafide59 | May 11, 2006 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Let's not forget about "Volunteers" folks!!!

Posted by: Ashburn | May 11, 2006 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget Tom Hanks' appearance as the nutty nerd on Happy Days who returned to beat up Fonzie.

Posted by: DC Dude | May 11, 2006 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I like Hanks a lot. In Saving Private Ryan, he played the quinessential good infantry Lt. The one that would stick his neck out when needed but understood that his job was to get his men to stick their necks out--and he realistically showed the normal resulting effect that human losses would have on a person. He neither John Wayned the role, nor diminished it. Perfect acting. He also doesn't come out and get so involved in politics--on either side--and act like he knows better because he is successful at one thing--like so many other idiotic actors. He's a good/great journeyman actor and good in his business and I don't hear awful things about him so he must be ok as a human being--neither perfect nor awful like most of us. He's the perfect American Everyman.

Posted by: Annandale | May 11, 2006 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I know a fair number of people who don't like him, myself included. He's annoying to some, and his unwillingness to really follow the scripted love scenes in Philadelphia, but still take all the praise for being "brave," brought him down in my eyes.

Posted by: Ellen | May 11, 2006 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I loved Forrest Gump. I enjoyed Robin Wright's performance most of all. But I'm really disappointed by Tom Hanks' willingness to take part in this next film the "DaVinci Code." In fact, I will now do with him as I've done with Denzel Washington. Because Denzel Washington was in the movie "The Siege" in which Palestinians in New York were put into a concetration camp, I have not spent one penny on another Denzel Washington movie. Yes I'm Palestinian and was greatly offended. And I never will watch another Denzel Washington movie. Now Tom Hanks is insulting my Lord Jesus. This is a much greater insult than Denzel's. I've already spent so much money on Hanks' movies and so many others will continue to that I know my $7 doesn't matter. But I will never spend another penny on Tom Hanks or Opie "Ron Howard" movies. Yes I'm a Born Again Christian.

Posted by: steve mashni | May 11, 2006 12:52 PM | Report abuse

It's hard to argue against Philadelphia. Apart from it being just a classic performance, it's the role that fundamentally changed him from being a very successful comedic / date flick actor to being in the upper echelon of all performers. Sure, Big hinted at the talent, but still with the strong tinge of comedy. This movie completely shifted him.

Jim Carrey has hinted at and attempted such a transition, and Truman Show & Eternal Sunshine have been very positive forays into drama, but I'm sure the public's perception of him is still as a comedic performer. Not true for Hanks after Philly.

Posted by: Nathan | May 11, 2006 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"Big," "Philadelphia," and "...Ryan."

Posted by: Chevy Chase DC | May 11, 2006 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Hanks has sometimes been referred to as our generation's Jimmy Stewart, which I think is excessive praise. However, the role where Hanks most impressed me was in "Road to Perdition" where I do think he showed that he had some of the ability that Stewart showed in his westerns with Anthony Mann to show the dark side of men who wanted to be good and decent, but who were haunted by personal demons.

Posted by: Scott | May 11, 2006 1:33 PM | Report abuse

For the born again cristian

Hey man, Da Vinci code is a fictional movie. Calm down, take a deep breath... its ok. You don't have to swear off Tom and Ronnie for the rest of your life. Newsflash, movies aren't real. However I will never see anoth peter jackson or jack black movie again because of their depiction of gorillas in Kong. Come on we all know that Gorillas don't like blonds.
DAMN YOU PETER, DAMN YOU TO HELL

Posted by: Washington DC | May 11, 2006 1:35 PM | Report abuse

My two favorite actors: Tom Hanks and Jimmy Stewart.

The only things that bother me about Da Vinci code is the new hairdo but I'm starting to get used to it and I really thought of Langdon as younger but most of the young actors seem too young and might have just made it another hearthrob movie.

Oh, and Road to Perdition, I loved that movie. Hanks was great and so was Jude Law.

Posted by: Donna | May 11, 2006 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Tom Hanks is the single most overrated actor of our time. He has no acting skills, only a good agent. Oh and is well connected. I guess if my two best friends were the two biggest money powerhouses in Hollywood - Ron Howard and Steven Spielberg - I'd get a lot of gigs too.

The only range he has is gaining weight, losing weight, shaving or not shaving. What's next? Tom Hanks as a blonde? Ooh, he's so brave...As for kudos to him on "Cast Away", the only character I really felt for in that movie was that poor Wilson who had to put up with Tom screaming about Fire.

Posted by: Remi | May 11, 2006 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I haven't like TOm Hanks since Philadelphia - he seems like he tries to win an oscar in every role. Can't wait for DVC though. Really enjoyed the book and hope it lives up to it.

As oppose to other actors, I really like him "in person." He's always funny and nice on interview shows and seems pretty normal.

Posted by: md | May 11, 2006 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"he seems like he tries to win an oscar in every role"

Your criticizing a guy because he wants to be recognized for his work.

Posted by: Washington DC | May 11, 2006 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Tom Hanks ranks up there as one of the best character actors of all time. My other favorite character actors are Robert Duval and Dustin Hoffman.

My favorite Hanks film is Forrest Gump, but I loved him in "A League of Their Own", "Cast Away", and "A Road To Perdition", "Splash" and "Saving Private Ryan".

Posted by: Big Fan, VA | May 11, 2006 2:20 PM | Report abuse

My personal feeling is that when his career is over, Tom Hanks will be regarded as the greatest actor of our time, and maybe most loved of all time.

"Gump" was just an awesome film, but what about "The Terminal"? Superb. And "Catch Me If You Can". Knock, knock.

Posted by: JAE | May 11, 2006 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Come on, folks! Turner & Hooch was a cinematic masterpiece. Plus, don't forget Hanks' work on Toy Story and Toy Story 2!

Posted by: middleburg | May 11, 2006 2:42 PM | Report abuse

How about THE BURBS or TURNER&HOOCH hehe. I LOVE TOM HANKS!!! And he has some serious acting chops.

In response to the person who is blacklisting Tom Hanks because of his role in Da Vinci Code... GIVE ME A BREAK!! Although the idea that the book is real compelled me even more to read the book and to see the movie IT IS FICTIONAL so GET OVER IT.

I am a jew and, although I think Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ was offensive and the fact that his Father believes that the Holocaust never happend is incredibly disheartening, I still saw the movie and still think Mel Gibson is an incredibly talented man.

IT IS HOLLYWOOD, PEOPLE! If you are so disturbed by movies I think you have bigger problems on your hand then those movies (maybe mental evaluation is necessary)

Posted by: Steph | May 11, 2006 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Tom is so darn likeable, it's easy to dislike him. (Huh?) I do agree with the "Jimmy Stewart of our Time" description, but I think Bill Murray is a better Everyman.

Posted by: KiKi | May 11, 2006 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I also believe that Tom Hanks is a the reincarnation of Spencer Tracy (or Jimmy Stewart). And there are others: Clooney is the modern Cary Grant, Scarlett Johannson is Grace Kelly, Jude Law is Errol Flynn (like in the Aviator..), Michael Douglas is Kirk Douglas, Sean Connery is Sean Connery, and Pierce Brosnan is either Ray Milland or Fred MacMurray, not sure..
Any other ideas? I'm looking for them!

Posted by: Vienna | May 11, 2006 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Loved Philadelphia, loved Big, loved Catch Me, loved Saving Private Ryan, HATED Castaway. Don't forget The Money Pit -- brilliant physical comedy; he falls through a hole in the floor -- come on!

Hanks even made the "meet cute" in Sleepless in Seattle great. A League of Their Own -- "Avoid the clap -- Jimmy Dugan." Brilliant.

Posted by: Janie | May 11, 2006 3:46 PM | Report abuse

So many terrible posts in here that it is hard to get started. First of all, Tom Hanks is not a character actor, quite the opposite he is a great Hollywood star who infuses his characters with his everyman persona, you always know that it is a Tom Hanks character, unlike a great character actor like Gary Oldman and early Russel Crowe, they could inhabit there roles and you wouldn't even remember who the actor is, that is a good character actor.
I won't get into the whole boycotting of Tom Hanks for this movie because it insults Jesus that is your opinion, but I am curious as to why Denzel Washington offends you with The Seige which is a movie that says that putting Palstinians in a concentration camp will not solve our problems and the people who advocate that are the bad guys in the movie. That's like boycotting Steven Speilberg because he made a movie about the Holocaust and the idea of Jews in concentration camps is offensive to you.
In the end though these posts spouting the love of Tom Hanks are as ridiculous as the ones spouting the hate of Angelina Jolie, at least most of the people on this thread enjoy him primarily because they enjoy his movies and not because they believe his publicity that he is a good person.

Posted by: Chris | May 11, 2006 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Hanks is lame. Mediocrity personified. His success is a symbol of our lowered expectations of Hollywood. Except for his "opus magnus" - Bachelor Party-which totally rocked.

Posted by: Jimmy Stewart | May 11, 2006 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I really like Tom Hanks...it's always up for debate who is the "greatest actor" of all time, but he has a lot of talent.
Favorites would have to be Forrest Gump and Big (my all-time favorite movie).

Posted by: DC | May 11, 2006 4:32 PM | Report abuse

My two favorite Tom Hanks movies are Forrest Gump and Castaway. He is one of a small group of actors for whom I will go to see a movie regardless of the surrounding hype. He makes good and interesting career choices, and it's nice to see what he's going to do next.

Posted by: Lori | May 11, 2006 4:34 PM | Report abuse

The guy's brilliant. He's in a very elite group of actors who've come out of comedy films and transitioned into drama with a lot of style.

As far as a favorite, I'm tied between a bit of goofiness and a sincere drama. Bachelor Party has aged pretty well, deserving of a once-a-year visit for laughs, and as a space nut, I thoroughly enjoyed Apollo 13.

As far as the Da Vinci Code goes, I think a lot of Christians need to get a serious collective enema. This is FAR from the first movie to use a segment of the church as a villain (Stigmata was another with far more sinister overtones, despite its fantastical nature), its simply the first that has the potential to be a blockbuster with the ability to connect to mainstream audiences.

Posted by: James Buchanan | May 11, 2006 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Apollo 13! Apollo 13!

Also his work on the HBO miniseries From the Earth to the Moon. He's been a big supporter of the space exploration, which I love about him.

Posted by: alexandra | May 11, 2006 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I liked him best not for one his acting role, but for his superb job putting together the HBO mini-series "From the Earth to the Moon".

Posted by: Dave | May 11, 2006 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I liked him "The Ladykillers" -- the crazy laugh, the Poe quotes, the stereotyping of a genteel Southern professor. So far, he's not made a movie that I haven't liked, but the "Da Vinci Code" could change that.

Posted by: steph | May 11, 2006 5:05 PM | Report abuse

MONEY PIT!! "WE CAN BUILD A HOUSE, DA DA DA DA,...." Classic 80s Movie Score....The raw comedy writing and Hanks physical comedy made even Shelley Long bearable....Or what about Man with One Red Shoe? You people got stuffy with your favorites...

Posted by: Charles | May 11, 2006 5:23 PM | Report abuse

hanks' best performances were Big & Philadelphia, which show that he is much more than a popular one-note actor always playing the same character (see Wayne, John).

as for the da vinci code being anti-christian, one would only need to look at what the church (particularly the catholic church) has covered up **recently** and continues to cover up (its internal sex scandals, its preachers' quotes on the causes of god's wrath) to see a cover-up of 2000 years ago is not that implausable!!!

re an earlier comment, i can't believe a palestinian (or anyone) would boycott denzel washington movies because of "the siege". if one would actually *watch the movie*, one would see that it is a strong condemnation of imprisoning people without just cause and showed the stupidity & immorality of imprisoning people in such situations. that movie (tho certainly not a great film) should have been required viewing for the Bush administration following 9-11!!!

Posted by: dcjhw | May 11, 2006 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Well it's about time somebody reminds the world that Tom Hanks is supposed to be FUNNY!

Yes, he can lose the afro, and no he doesn't have to be serious all the time.

However, it seems that SOME People just can't remain true to (or even acknowledge) their humble roots once they have an Oscar or two under their belts.

I will always remember Bosom Buddies Tom. Forever.

Posted by: Jbyrd | May 11, 2006 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Busom Buddies...dang a throw back to the late 70's early 80's TV....who would have thought so much of a cross dresser on TV? well you certinally have come a long way MrHanks and her are my top 6 ..in no particular order....
Forrest Gump..man you could run! and that metaphor still sticks in my head I like chocolate covered anything!
Saving Private Ryan..I shed a tear in the end...
BIG..the opposite of SPR..I laughed and have played the piano at FAO Swartz what a thrill!
Catch me If You Can...although not the principle he did add that humor of a cat and mouse that no one else can.
Philadelphia..My brother died of AIDS and I from the city of brotherly love ..it made me shed a tear and it made me happy that topics could be tackled the right way in Hollywood and beyond!
Apollo 13..yes another movie attached with Kevin Bacon...but good!
Castaway..come on stock in FedX and Wilson products jumped through the roof!

The dark side....
Joe V the Volcano...
The Money Pit
Dragnet(sorta)
LadyKillers...
Da Burbs
Turner and Hooch
Bachelor Party..hey everyone in hollywood has a fave first bomb...
To those Hank Haters out there what do you think he would be good in? any Harrison Ford role? a remake of the Philadelphia story?

Posted by: Tommy Boy.. | May 11, 2006 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who considers Bachelor Party a bomb must have been involved in all the wrong things in the 80s, like New Wave Music and Alex P Keaton young republican parties. I cut my boob viewing teeth on Bachelor Party and Revenge of the Nerds....go back and rewatch if you don't believe in the staying power of those two....

Posted by: Charles | May 11, 2006 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for reminding me of Tom Hanks' accomplishments. We are so short sighted that if we don't see or hear of an actor constantly, we begin to think of them as a "has been". I didn't realize Tom Hanks had done so much! I guess he's better than I remembered him being. I hope this new movie will be a revival for him.

Posted by: Karen | May 11, 2006 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I can recall those famous first like Square Pegs and SJP in braces and the first Revenge of the Nerds movie(remake on the way) Bachelor Party huum that guy from dance fever right &(TJ Hooker?) and Tommy Boy..yet at the time of thin ties, multi colored hair and when U2 was a club band I must regret I missed out on Bachelor Party, not for the premise just the bad acting...Title said it all why waste the 4.00 on the flick(back then of course)

Posted by: Hey charles... | May 11, 2006 7:25 PM | Report abuse

"Big", ". . . Seattle" and, the more I ponder it, everything else--but "Gump". Just didn't work for me.
I've often thought of Hanks as a modern-day Jimmy Stewart, a not-exactly-glamorous actor who can play just about any role. Too bad they don't make Westerns anymore. The simple homesteader who knows how to handle a six-shooter and finally succumbs to the pleas of townfolk to pin on the badge and strap on the Colt and rid the town of the baddies. Go git 'em, sheriff Hanks!

Posted by: cody mccall | May 11, 2006 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Tom Hanks has officially crossed the line. He is now acting in the offensive movie the "Da Vinci Code." This movie is a great crime against my Lord. What happens to those millions of people who see the movie and do not know that it is fiction? Those people will be misled by this movie. Kind of like that movie he did, "Toy Story." That was so offensive to talking toys! And the movie did not even tell you that it was not real and then I thought toys really talked for many years. Also that movie he did, "Splash." That movie was totally offensive to mermaids.

Posted by: The | May 11, 2006 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Favorite Hanks role: prime mover of "Band of Brothers."

Posted by: appell8 | May 11, 2006 11:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm waiting for Busom Buddies: The Motion Picture

Posted by: Fred | May 12, 2006 12:46 AM | Report abuse

I was so bored with him in "You Have Mail"! I hope he will doing a better job in the Da Vinci one. We shall see.

Posted by: Jawad | May 12, 2006 3:07 AM | Report abuse

Oh, man! I totally remember Mazes and Monsters. How funny to have that memory pop up.

Posted by: lpr | May 12, 2006 8:14 AM | Report abuse

"Bachelor Party" is one of my all-time favorites--a totally silly, sophomoric, enjoyable movie. LOVE it and I'm not even a guy! "A League of Their Own" is also great--the only time I've ever enjoyed Madonna in a movie! My favorite TH scene in that is when he's trying so hard NOT to yell at the fielder who made the error, because he knows she'll burst into tears again.

Posted by: NYC | May 12, 2006 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, why didn't they have Fitty Cent be Dr. Langdon? Tom Hanks be simply too old. And Snoop could've been Bezou Fache. Ah, what has happened to Hollywood since I died in Vegas?

Posted by: Two-pack Shaker | May 12, 2006 12:39 PM | Report abuse

While Tom Hanks can be very good, I've no doubt Russell Crowe will easily surpass his total for films grossing over $100M. Russell is as good (if not better) actor than Mr. Hanks, especially in scenes involving phones. Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!

Posted by: Box of Chocolates | May 12, 2006 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Apollo 13 is my favorite

Posted by: Tim | May 12, 2006 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Once again, the Christian boobs don't fail to disappoint for the shallowness of their offended sensibilities. Crying over a perceived slight to their sacred religion, they overlook what on a puritanical scale would be a more serious offense in "Big" of Hanks portraying a pre-teenager in a grown up's body having sex with a 30something woman.

But, these are merely Christian fanatics, we must lower the bar of expectation when it comes to the level of insight which they are capable of after a lifetime of indoctrination by a church that feeds on their ignorance.

Posted by: James Buchanan | May 12, 2006 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Kudos for whoever posted on Band of Brothers, you beat me to it. That "role" would be my favorite as well. The only other thing I can add is that I had no idea so many people really liked Forrest Gump. I had read the book, liked the movie but honestly thought The Shawshank Redemption was an eminently better film that was lost in all the Forrest Gump hoopla of the year.

Not to knock Tom Hanks because he has been in some good flicks and I do remember the Dungeons and Dragons tv movie thing, I just always make it a point to mention that Shawshank Redemption is a great movie that got shafted.

Posted by: can I go home yet, it's friday | May 12, 2006 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Kudos go to: Posted by: The | May 11, 2006 10:03 PM for having the funniest most sarcastic comment on here. At first I thought they were serious then they start commenting on offensive mermaids and talking toys... how freakin silly. hehe

Posted by: Steph | May 12, 2006 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Bachelor Party does not get enough credit. The movie's humor rests entirely on Hanks' wit, and he carries it well.

Posted by: John | May 12, 2006 8:16 PM | Report abuse

"The Spencer Tracy of our times"? Give me a break!

Posted by: Bah | May 13, 2006 11:01 PM | Report abuse

I can't stand Tom Hanks, underneath that pleasant exterior is a bonifide puppy rapist

Posted by: mike | May 15, 2006 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey Loomis, your grandfather did great things and has a statue in the church....what have you done? I certainly haven't heard of him nor do I care to. Talk about that schmuck Tom!!

I don't like to troll, but I thought it was funny to see that post.

Posted by: bob | May 15, 2006 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I agree with all the notable films: Apollo, Catch Me, Gump, Cast Away etc. HOwever, I really do enjoy the lighter films.

I play drums in a local DC band. No one has mentioned one of my favorite Hanks actor/producer roles: "That Thing You Do!" I have to love a movie where the protagonist drummer starts out with Charlize Theron and ends up with Liv Tyler. A very nice, cute, simple early 60's period flick. Everyone I talked to who lived through it, said he captured the era perfectly. Hanks was brilliant as the agent/manager/producer from PlayTone records.

I also have to give a shout to "Bachelor Party" -- if you were an adolescent in the 80's you knew about that movie -- we all thought goofy school bus drivers could marry rich hotties like Tawney Kitaen (the girl from the Whitesnake videos) and have a blow-out bachelor party at the Plaza Hotel. It was a great adolescent fantasy.

I also loved Dragnet where he was the "dashing" Pep Streebeck to Dan Ackroyd's Joe Friday.

There is a great article on Hanks in this months Esquire. Check it out.

Posted by: Hemant | May 16, 2006 12:57 PM | Report abuse

bachelor party is #1 in my mind.
I also liked a flock of seagulls.
Seriously, Tom Hanks is second only to Johnny Depp as far as talent is concerned.
Tom Cruise? puh-lease. the worst.

Posted by: billc | June 1, 2006 3:58 PM | Report abuse