Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 06/29/2006

A "View" I Could Do Without

By Liz Kelly

If we weren't already in the midst of a very important vote here at Celebritology, I'd be tempted to offer another poll asking the burning questions arising out of all this Star Jones Reynolds/"View" fallout:

The "View" crew in happier days -- February. (AP)

To quickly recap for those of you lucky enough to have missed this: In April, Meredith Vieira announces she's leaving "The View" to co-host NBC's "Today." Soon after, ABC announces Rosie O'Donnell will take over Vieira's empty chair on "The View." Rumor has it Rosie wants Star gone by the time she arrives in September. Executive producer Barbara Walters denies this or any other changes to the lineup and the morning gabfest returns to normal (or as normal as it can be considering the show's inane premise, soft focus cameras and mindless chatter). Until this week when Jones Reynolds abruptly announces her departure from the show on the air, then goes on record saying she was fired. Here's Lisa de Moraes' excellent dissection of the week's events.

If it isn't already completely obvious, I freely confess -- nay, I proudly state -- that I do not watch "The View." It's on during working hours, which for me means a steady diet of CNN peppered with a lunchtime dose of "What Not To Wear" and maybe an errant episode of "Cops" from time to time. There are some "sick" days where I've been known to channel scan and never once have I been intrigued enough to let my remote come to a rest at ABC when "The View" is airing. I would rather watch some dude fishing (and I hate fishing) or (GASP!) no TV at all.

Why?

Any "View" discussion that starts out reasonably interesting soon deteriorates into what sounds like a price war at a Tupperware party, reinforcing every outmoded stereotype there is about women: nagging, nattering, playing dumb, catfighting.

To carry the stereotype theme one paragraph further, the handful of times I've "View"-ed, the girls alternately remind me of a) my mother in harpy mode, b) me when I'm PMS'ing, c) my aunt, the nun who taught elementary school, and -- since the addition of Elizabeth Hasselbeck -- d) Barbie.

Each co-host seems to specialize in a particular form of annoyance. Hasselbeck in cluelessness, Barbara Walters in condescension, Joy Behar in "witty" comments and Jones Reynolds in non sequiturs and, lately, a bizarre physical morph.

But I don't watch regularly, so I could be wrong. Maybe "The View" is fantastic, ground-breaking television and I should be properly shaken up by Jones Reynolds' abrupt exit and the resulting controversy. Somehow I don't think so.

Am I wrong? If so, let me know why in the comments section, where we talk about such things -- Star Jones Reynolds, pleated pants, whatever.

P.S. Star will be Larry King's guest tonight on CNN at 9 p.m. ET. Call in and ask why she's already gone from the official "View" Web site.

By Liz Kelly  | June 29, 2006; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Britney Poses Nude
Next: Morning Mix: Lil' Kim's Independence Day

Comments

The View: So much to say and so little interest in typing it. It is like watching what my grandmother used to call a hen party - they all cackle and talk at once so that usually you can't understand a word of what any one of them is saying. I know most guests of most talk shows are there to promote themself or a book or a movie but the ones who visit the view seem to pander to the audience even more than usual. The one amusing segment is when BaWa disagrees with a guest (usually someone who has written an out there book) and she lets them have it - she still has the ability to go in for the kill. Watch it like you would a train wreck.

Posted by: KB Silver Spring | June 29, 2006 10:56 AM | Report abuse

In a show I can't stand anyway, I hated Star Jones or whatever she's calling herself now even more. To paraphrase John Stewart, never has a woman been so self-absorbed and so up her own as*. I predict she will try desperately and without success to make a new career, and sadly, I fear the race card will be played sooner or later (probably sooner). Good riddance.

Posted by: Ugh | June 29, 2006 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Inane is almost a kind description, as if the effect of watching this show is benign. After seeing a few shows ( and usually only a few minutes were tolerable) I actually felt my brain atrophy.

Posted by: LP | June 29, 2006 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Compared with the graceful sendoff that was given to Katie Couric and Meredith Vieira, who were, unlike Star, decamping for rival networks, Star's treatment was pretty shabby (whether you like her or not) for someone who'd been on that show for nine years.

Inevitably, people will look at the three cases and notice the difference in skin color along with the difference in treatment. Is that playing the "race card?" Maybe. But it's fair to ask (and impossible to know) whether she'd have been treated better if she were white.

Barbara Walters's assertions that she was trying to provide Jones-Reynolds with a graceful exit are nonsense; it was clear from the moment O'Donnell was hired that Jones would be history, and no one believed Walters's lukewarm statements to the contrary.

Posted by: Meridian | June 29, 2006 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I very passionately do not like Star Jones Reynolds. I was not a fan before her wedding. However, the "pay from my wedding with corporate sponsorships" move showed a whole new low in the class department. I could care less that she was getting married. I could also care less about her weight loss, other to add that I agree with Rosie (This is not normally something to come out of my mouth) about her being upfront about gastric bypass. I sincerely hope she fades into oblivion... though knowing Star, she'll probably only go kicking and screaming.

Posted by: SK | June 29, 2006 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I always hated the View mainly because of Meredith Viera. She like to turn every conversation to sex. It was really weird. Not looking forward to her on Today.

Re: Star's physical morphing. I think she looks bizarre now and her head is HUGE on a tiny little neck. I fear it might fall off.

Posted by: MD | June 29, 2006 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I didn't even realize what this show was called -- I call it the show I studiously avoided while discovering daytime tv for the first time in a long time during a five month maternity sojourn from work -- and that's saying something, because I found Tyra Banks to be somewhat amusing, Ellen DeGeneres less so, but Martha Stewart captivating as ever. Not to mention the judges -- Judge Alex, anyway, Dr. Phil, and of course, all the ladies in the Starting Over House.

Which leads to the question of how something this stupid can generate so much attention?

Posted by: Barbara | June 29, 2006 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I have to agree and say, Star was not my fave. She had this entitlement thing going on, and a my-stuff-don't-stink attitude. Good riddance! Now if we can just get Joy off too!

Love Elisabeth. I met her a few years back at a bbq and thought she was sweet.

Posted by: Lou | June 29, 2006 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I actually used to watch The View when Lisa Ling was on. Lisa was intelligent, fresh and funny. When she left, so did I.

Posted by: OB | June 29, 2006 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"Who cares? Who watches "The View?" And can the rest of this shrewish coven go away along with Jones Reynolds?"

My thoughts *exactly*. Rock on Liz!

Posted by: Hoosier | June 29, 2006 12:36 PM | Report abuse

When I am home from work I watch the View but I am not a Star fan. However, I have lost respect for Barbara whom I love. She didn't have to blantantly lie. The tabs had been reporting that Star was gone back in April. On the Rosie note, I think she is not a good fit for the show and that's why I won't watch even if I am home.

Posted by: NS | June 29, 2006 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I agree with NS. I really don't like the talent on the show but I watch because interesting gossipy things happen/get said. Nothing else on at 11 anyway. And I like to catch the news at 12. Losing Star was a plus for the show in my book....but I've already decided to stop watching as soon as Rosie takes to the air. BAD DECISION BARBARA!!

Posted by: Watches TV for a living | June 29, 2006 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Lizzie, Lizzie, Lizzie:

I was with you up until you bad-mouthed E-beth H-beck. Okay, so what if she made a mistake and married the wrong Hasselbeck brother, she's still just too damn cute not to enjoy... with the sound, off, of course.

Posted by: K-Fed(up) | June 29, 2006 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Not a fan of Star's. Knew she was toast as soon as they announced that Rosie was coming on... However, Barbara feeling "betrayed" is laughable. She just lost any credibility with me.

Posted by: kiki | June 29, 2006 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Ha! Liz, you were too kind to Barbara. She's awful. The other women are always correcting her and finishing her sentences as if she's super senile. It's very painful to watch.

Posted by: hassle's brain | June 29, 2006 1:27 PM | Report abuse

"Here comes The View, doodley dooooo!"

Posted by: jw | June 29, 2006 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad Star took the opportunity to announce her departure, create some terms for her exit, and help reveal all of the lying that was going on. Barbara's rebuttal was the epitome of low class catfighting. "I had hoped that she could leave with dignity -- yeah, right, then why imply now that she didn't?" How can they blame low ratings on Star when it's an ensemble cast? Seems like scapegoating to me. In my opinion, Star was one of the least annoying members, with Meredith being the other one that could be tolerated. Star is intelligent and has common sense even if she is ridiculously materialistic. Picking Rosie to replace Meredith was a huge mistake. While I won't be watching the show, I can't wait to hear about the huge clash of egos that will bring. Rosie does okay on her own, when she's the boss, not with others. That has been proven many times, with the magazine and her stint on broadway. Buh bye, the View! (fake kisses)

Posted by: mw | June 29, 2006 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Everyone knows that BW owns and runs the show. I'm not a Star fan but she didn't play by the TV exit rules. Had she waited until Friday, as stated by the press that was the agreement, Star would still have BW to lean on. I actually believe BW was surprised because she wasn't supposed to "play her sad role" until Friday! Star has definitely burned a bridge and that's unfortunate because BW personally went to Star and asked her to be on the show. It's just sad.

Posted by: govgirl | June 29, 2006 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I think they had to get rid of "Star" because they weren't really sure who she was anymore. Doesn't she look like alien now?

Posted by: K-Ho | June 29, 2006 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I used to like the View when I wasn't working and in small doses and depending on the guests. BUT, I have to agree with some of the other posters Rosie O'donnel is a huge mistake. I used to be a Rosie fan and until she went all postal on Tom Selleck just because he supports the NRA and then she started bashing all kinds of celebrities who didn't agree with her. I don't really care if Star had gastric bypass and what about when Rosie was getting all hyper that Kirstie Alley lied about her real weight. What woman doesn't? I wonder if she still loves Tom Cruise and if he will appear on the view now to do some more couch jumping!

Posted by: Dlyn | June 29, 2006 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I watch The View, but I'm no Star Jones apologist. Star is pretty annoying and self-absorbed, but her treatment from The View has been very shabby. What BW is so incensed about is that Star ditched the script. She obviously decided she didn't want to be swept off the show with a cloud of air kisees, under the fake banner of "off to pursue new opportunites." BW intimated that Star's behavior has been undignified, but when is telling the truth undignified. When your contract is not renewed you've been fired, end of story and that's what she told People magazine. Star has many detractors, but she has fans as well and BW and ABC wanted to have it both ways where her detractors could happily sing "Ding dong the witch is dead" while at the same time the show wouldn't have to explain why she was fired or suffer any blowback in the form of losing viewers because the "official" story would have been she left voluntarily. BW wasn't trying to protect Star with this fake cover story, she was trying to protect herself (or rather her image which is an even more valuable commodity on TV) and the show from looking bad.

Posted by: ses | June 29, 2006 2:11 PM | Report abuse

if anyone ever watched The Girls Next Door with Heff's girls, the one "smart" girlfriend who is in college and respects all aspects of journalism, mentioned how BW acted towards them. Cold. I believe it. I can see that about her. Today's world of television journalism, entertainment or any other type, has no room for BW. Which is why this show will sink when Rosie gets there or sooner. If Rosie was still the apple of america's eye, she'd still have her show. But she's not and joining The View will only show what a crass person she is herself....remember the way she treated Tom Selleck??? Yeah. Rosie and BW JUDGE. way too much.

Posted by: VP | June 29, 2006 2:14 PM | Report abuse

The View will be much better with Star out of the picture.

Posted by: Bag | June 29, 2006 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I SAW that Girls' Next Door and I actually felt sorry for the youngest, naive one (Kendra? maybe). She was very upset and said she felt the View had set them up. All three of them (Hef's GF) were so excited to be there, they were expecting a fluffy, positive interview and then apparently the View girls were very derogatory.

Posted by: Pookie | June 29, 2006 2:39 PM | Report abuse

You are not wrong.

Posted by: Lori | June 29, 2006 2:46 PM | Report abuse

For all those who don't like the View I surely can't agree. For a woman like me this is the only place I can get a girly gabfest bcuz me and most of my friends are too busy to have them these days. Now that Star and Meredith are gone the last 3 are drowning on there. I am sick of BW, she needs to sit down somewhere but if you cross her one time she will get the last laugh.

Posted by: Tea Are | June 29, 2006 2:47 PM | Report abuse

For a long time "The View" has been my all-time least favorite show. I think it is great that the program is finally paying dividends to its diligent haters and providing some entertainment after all these years.

In retrospect we all should have seen this coming: "The View" descends into stupid catfight where "friends" stab each other in the back, and the weakness of the women's characters are exposed. Hmmm, reminds me of my high school days.

Also, I thought Rosie's comments about Star's gastric-bypass surgery were inappropriate to air in public. I fear Rosie's sunk pretty low and she's not even on the show yet.

Posted by: Klep | June 29, 2006 2:51 PM | Report abuse

The View use to be somewhat entertaining during the first few minutes but now is unwatchable.

How can Rosie talk about someone telling the truth when she denied - either implicitly or explicitly - being gay? Also, why hasn't Rosie asked about Barbara's surgery? I find it amusing that everyone talks about Star's "surgery" but no one ever talks about Barbara's she looks younger now than years ago and I know she hasn't found the fountain of youth or it would definitely be a topic of her silly show.

I'm not a Star fan but at least she was intelligent along with Lisa Ling. Elizabeth is to dumb to even discuss. Joy & Meredith can both be very annoying & Barbara reminds me of everyone's favorite aunt who's now slipping into senility.

Discussion about the wedding being a distraction is amusing considering they let her talk about it constantly and the show received some of its highest ratings during this period. Also, how can one person be blamed for an ensemble's low ratings?

In the United States sometimes race matters. Whether it was in this case or not it's amazing how shabbily she was treated and how quick some media commentators are taking her to task, because she didn't go along but not mentioning what a liar Barbara was/is.

Posted by: lwv | June 29, 2006 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Whenever I'm home from work, I prefer to channel-surf at 11am than watch The View. I don't want to see a bunch of hens cackling over nonsense. And with Rosie coming in the fall, I shudder to think what it will become. But then again I don't really care!

I don't like Star Jones either, but the way BW and ABC did her was flat out wrong. For goodness sake, Star put in NINE years for the Show and this is all the thanks she gets? But then again, when she was "promoting" her wedding and everything (which was a BIT much--I got so sick and tired of hearing about her wedding--they'll probably be divorced in the next 5 years anyway), I guess the execs decided to draft her walking papers right then and there.

Oh well. I guess that's how the cookie crumbles.

Posted by: LR | June 29, 2006 3:42 PM | Report abuse

woooo!! way to go Liz! I agree.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 29, 2006 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Jones's recent decisions only make sense in the context of her being informed that the public doesn't trust her word anymore -- so she comes out swinging like the bearer of truth. Walters did the classy thing, supporting her in the months preceding her departure. Her response to this grandstanding by a bitter rival has been elegant as well. Jones doesn't deserve any of our respect, or attention.

Posted by: Moe is me | June 29, 2006 4:00 PM | Report abuse

And everyone already knows that Al is gay!

Posted by: Watches TV for a living | June 29, 2006 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Thank you!!!! I totally think Star's hubby is gay. He is also quite creepy looking, not as bad as David Gest, but close.

Posted by: Creepy Creepy | June 29, 2006 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I hate the dumb blond girl on the show, if you are going to hire a dumb blond, she should at least be cute.

Yuck, she is so annoying and stupid.

Posted by: dumb blond | June 29, 2006 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Can't stand that show, particularly since Barbara Walters made her anti-breastfeeding comments (she was "uncomfortable" when a mom nursed her baby during a flight Babs was on) and Hasselbarbie threw an on-air party celebrating the first time she gave her daughter formula. These women are just so obnoxiously retro.

Posted by: Amy | June 29, 2006 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you, Liz. I've had those sick days too, and I'd rather watch a rerun of the Ellen Degeneres Show than a new View.

All this hoopla is the type of thing that made a "star" out of Paris Hilton. Ms. Jones Reynolds did nothing but morph during those 9 years on The View, and it's good that she's gone. Hasselbeck is a complete idiot; how'd she ever become a TV "personality" anyway? I have to admit that I do like Joy, and I respect Barbara for her endurance and longevity. They both need to go off and get their own shows. Barbara needs to get out of that henhouse and back into "real" reporting, and Joy should continue her Good Housekeeping gig while taking her comedy out on the road (or at least to an HBO special).

I have to wonder if this would be "news" if we weren't in the slow summer TV season. Paris had better start a bar fight or something so that we all have something else to talk about.

Posted by: View Hoo! | June 29, 2006 7:39 PM | Report abuse

The show has not been good since Lisa Ling left, Debbie etc. But I cannot be happy the way they treated Star. I think they should have helped her move on, not just forced her out. Whatever you have to say about her personality she was the fabric of the show, and I could not see her doing anymore damage than Joy, or that other one.

I do not think Rosie has the same image when she was on top. Barbara is loosing her touch.

With Joy are there not celebrities who refuse to come back again because of Joy. I agree with the wedding issue but her surgery seems awfully personal and no one business.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 29, 2006 8:57 PM | Report abuse

I tried the View for company during mind-numbing house-work. Silence is better than a group of loud opinionated people trying to be heard at the same time. I've never met anyone who watches it. Who cares who is on there? Ellen was fun in the beginning but got old quickly.

Posted by: Kirsten | July 3, 2006 12:02 PM | Report abuse

The next time I watch "The View" would be the first & last time I would watch it....ain't happening.....now it'll really be an annoying show w/ Rosie!

Posted by: Susan Keilitz | July 3, 2006 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Wait, I thought that Star Jones alienface was already divorced?

Posted by: qwyn | July 5, 2006 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Yawn. There's a show called "The View"?

Posted by: RC in Texas | July 7, 2006 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I applaud and admire the way Star exited THE VIEW. Rosie & BW deserve one another - - they are both vile & mean spirited. Yuck!

Posted by: Lizzie | July 7, 2006 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't watch 'The View' too often, but when I do watch I always seemed to see eye to eye with whatever Star Jones had to say. She seemed to be very well informed and educated about current issues. I also liked the way she found humor in everything. Elizabeth, however, has always gotten on my nerves. She seems like such a hardcore republican and she doesn't hesitate to be rude when she wants to defend her opinions. If you ask me, Elizabeth should have been the one to go and not Star.

Posted by: Marianna | August 6, 2006 5:19 PM | Report abuse