Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 06/14/2006

Britney: Overexposed

By Liz Kelly

Remember when she used to be a singer? (AP)

I can't believe the hype and my whole gig is about hype. Here's the deal: I'm sick of the Britney Spears/Matt Lauer interview and it hasn't even aired yet. I'm not sure how I'll get through Thursday without some liquid courage, but I just keep repeating to myself, "Strong Britney Liz. Strong Britney Liz."

Since Sunday, details from the pre-taped heart-to-heart have been leaking faster than the identity of CIA covert operatives.

Exhibit A: A pretty complete account of the interview from E!.

Exhibit B: Video clips from the interview already available on MSNBC.

Exhibit C: A cornucopia of quotes variously leading stories from the Chicago Tribune to China's Xinhua:

- Britney says her marriage is "awesome" and denies she and K-Fed are divorcing: "I think everybody should be pro-love."

- Britney blames the paparazzi for ruining her life: "I'm (an) emotional wreck right now."

- Britney defends her Sean Preston dangerous driving: "I did it with my dad. I'd sit on his lap and I drive. We're country."

- Britney cries!

Both Britney's publicists and NBC ratings strategists want to make sure we're sufficiently hooked so they can reel us right in when the interview airs -- TWICE -- on Thursday (both on "Today" and "Dateline"). But this time they have gone too far. TMI already. It's like revealing the end of a movie then asking me to pay first-run prices. I'm not interested anymore.

Why watch when we can spend that valuable time here nattering about it?

By Liz Kelly  | June 14, 2006; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Shiloh Jolie-Pitt Sets Off T-Shirt Frenzy
Next: Morning Mix: TomKat Named 'Most Affectionate' Couple

Comments

If Britney is "pro-love" then I'm agin it!

Down with love if it looks like her relationship with K-Fed.

Posted by: JNo | June 14, 2006 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I think everybody should be pro-hate, if it means they'll hate Britney.

Posted by: mmy | June 14, 2006 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I LOVE this:
"I can't go anywhere without someone judging me," Spears told Lauer. "I did it with my dad. I'd sit on his lap and I drive. We're country."

Was that baby "driving" the car; steering while mom juggled the brake and accelerator? I read that it happened on PCH (Pacific Coast Highway), where you REALLY need to pay attention EVERY second because of the traffic and sharp turns!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 14, 2006 12:24 PM | Report abuse

She's overexposed all right, literally. I saw a promo during a weekend Dateline, and I couldn't believe her clothes. Apparently she has no advisers to help her distinguish among a walk in Malibu, a stage performance with Madonna, and a sit-down TV interview that's not with 'ET'. Doesn't she have any tops that wouldn't expose her cleavage? Also, I'm sure when she was ridin' "country" with her dad that there wasn't an airbag that would crush her in a collision. She's so dingbatty that I fear for her children's safety.

Posted by: Sue | June 14, 2006 12:30 PM | Report abuse

First of all, Brittany we love you. Don't ever change.

Second of all, the reason we like you the way you are is because you are nuts.

Nuts is good. Nuts make girls a lot "hotter" than they'd be otherwise. Nuts makes girls do thing that we can talk about for days. Nuts turns her from a simple celeb to a super celeb.

Why do people get upset? I don't get it. If she was relatively normal, she'd be working picking beans on some farm in Mississippi. But the fact that she's nuts, that her family is nuts pushed her to be as mouseketeer and got us talking about her.

Just let Brittany Be Brittany!!!!!

Posted by: Bradley | June 14, 2006 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Spears is an example of why I would be happy if the US adopted a caste system. Lousianna white trash should not be seen or heard.

Posted by: Tom Canick | June 14, 2006 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I blame a former friend of mine for originally casting her in "The New Mickey Mouse Club" on the Disney Channel. If he hadn't, we wouldn't be burdened with her "white-trashology" now. Oh Brian, if only you could have known...

Posted by: Robert In West Hollywood | June 14, 2006 1:31 PM | Report abuse

...and next Britney will give us her political views...as if we could care!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 14, 2006 1:38 PM | Report abuse

meh, Britney will always be that hot teen in a catholic school girl outfit, virginally gyrating against a locker door. I'll never get tired of that

Posted by: Anonymous | June 14, 2006 1:46 PM | Report abuse

^^ although, I wouldn't be surprised if mrs. federline eventually turns out to be the next psycho holywood aged singer/actress type, ala liza minelli or zsa zsa or ivana or any starlet struck down by the cruel realities of showbiz...

Posted by: Anonymous | June 14, 2006 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Maybe you should stop writing about her if you think she's overexposed. To all the haters: Stop wasting your time hating people and try to think from their perspective, especially if it means ignoring the media for a few minutes and doing a little thinking for yourself. You might find that you can see Britney's viewpoints a lot clearer and realize that she is also a person trying to live and figure out her life the way she was brought up. If she says her marriage is great, then it is. Take it from her, not from anonymous "sources" quoted in the supermarket tabloids. Lastly, GET YOUR OWN LIFE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT!!

Posted by: Eric | June 14, 2006 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Bradley I think you have a valid point. Nuts sells, albums, books, TV time, etc.

Britney is the counter point to Ann Coulter... say whatever to raise your Q ratings get media attention. It is so American and media savy. And we as a population eat it the hell up.

Can someone tell me why we like to be spun so much by everyone who can get a mic. and a camera and some press?

Posted by: Marko | June 14, 2006 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Driving PCH with the baby on her lap, bad idea. KFed, worse idea. But the video of her tripping and almost dropping the baby, normal. Some of what she has done/is doing lacks a great deal of judgement and insight on her part but some I feel is part of her trying to learn how to juggle who she is and being a mother. It's difficult. The sobbing interview is just her showing her lack of communication skills. She's needs to move to Park City, UT and quietly raise her family. I don't think I'll watch the interview. I'm getting tired of her.

To the posters who reference white Louisiana trash, don't be an ass. Don't judge people like that.

Posted by: DC by way of La | June 14, 2006 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Why did building 7 collapse at 9/11? It was not hit by a plane.

Who did send the antrax letters to Congress?

Where is Osama?

For uncensored news please bookmark the following sites:

www.wsws.org
www.takingaim.info
www.onlinejournal.com
otherside123.blogspot.com

Posted by: che | June 14, 2006 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Che, your are dumb....post that stuff on a different blog.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 14, 2006 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Ah - but was Britney hit by a plane on 9/11? That's the real question.

Posted by: h3 | June 14, 2006 3:26 PM | Report abuse

"...and next Britney will give us her political views...as if we could care!"

Didn't Michael Moore's "Waiting for Columbine" have a segment in which Britney said "We should support President Bush" or something like that? I didn't see it but my friend was so upset that Britney Spears was supporting Bush. I told her, "Who cares what Britney Spears says anyway?!"

Posted by: Anonymous | June 14, 2006 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Britney on Dateline - cool. Can't wait to see the looks of the faces of those internet sex predators when they find out that the sleazy, skeezy, easy teen was actually Ms. Spears, who may be a lot of things, but is definitely *not* a teen.

Posted by: byoolin | June 14, 2006 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Spears' fortunes rest on the public's appetite for her music - which isn't bad, just pop stuff - and her antics, which are silly.

And she is trash. Poor morals, stupid lifestyle, begging for attention (well, she doesn't really have to beg, it's lavished on her), and then complaining about it. Winning the lottery gets you free money. Being a pop star gets you money, but it's given in exchange for any kind of normal life. She represents a quick-money lifestyle which isn't doing the country any favors.

As to where's she's from, well, we all have to be from somewhere. It's what you do with your life that counts.

Posted by: Tom Canick | June 14, 2006 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Britney, you are country trailer trash hick. You have the elegance and sophistication of a ring around the toilet commercial. The fact that you would procreate with poorer talentless jobless looser, reflects even more poorly on you. Additionally, walking around with a wine glass while holding your infant is bad. Driving your convt with the top down with the baby in the backseat is bad.

Posted by: SAPEXEC | June 14, 2006 4:51 PM | Report abuse

First off, SAPEXEC, I believe you meant she married a loser, looser is what you wish your pants were when you eat too much. Second, I knew her time had passed when teen girls were laughing about her back in 2001 or so with her Lucky video, plus the one with the much too tight red leather (Pleather?) outfit. Let's move on to someone relevant.

Posted by: Rick | June 14, 2006 5:13 PM | Report abuse

i feel sorry for her. she doesn't really know any better. she just wanted to be a little mickey mouse singer and ended up blowing up thanks to excellent, shrewd management...

she's rich, sure, but now she's papparazzi prey whereever she goes and that has to suck, doesn't it? she's dumb, sure, but i feel sorry for her predicament.

so there, yankees.

Posted by: mike | June 14, 2006 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I don't feel sorry for her and I don't hate her. She's a little screwed up, but when you get down to it, mention anyone in the public eye and you'll pretty quickly figure out they're screwed up.

So what. Most people in daily life are screwed up. We all get by.

Does she make music you like? Great. Then enjoy her. Do you find her sexy? Great. Then enjoy her. Do you think she's a great person? Great. Then enjoy her (although I'm not sure how you can draw any sort of conclusion about her based on press releases and photo ops, but that's a different story). If you love her because she enjoy making fun of her? Great enjoy her.

My point is that celebrity is a state of mind. You're a celeb because people think you are. It has nothing to do with good, bad, talented, untalented, saint, criminal, genius, moron. These celebrities are like meteors that hit the earth's atmosphere. They shine brightly for a moment then they're gone. Enjoy the light show and stop getting upset that they glow briefly for a while, because in burning, they give up an essential part of themselves for our enjoyment. The least we can do is enjoy them.

So just relax and watch the show.

Posted by: Bobby D | June 15, 2006 9:09 AM | Report abuse

"Britney defends her Sean Preston dangerous driving: "'I did it with my dad. I'd sit on his lap and I drive. We're country.'"

*********************

Yeah so did MY parents, I STOOD on the front seat for pete's sake. But at least my dad has the good grace to cringe and admit that it was highly unsafe when he thinks about it now.

She's classy. With a K. Klassy.

Posted by: Clairebell | June 15, 2006 9:55 AM | Report abuse

driving down a high speed highway with a baby as little as he was, was just bad judgement on her part as a mother. how can that be considered country ? and as far as the whole carseat the wrong way incident at least he was strapped in to something. but how can you drive with the top off exposing him to the sun like that? poor judgement again. And the baby dropping incident did you spill your alcohol?and arent you pregnant? what a dumb country ass b****!

Posted by: kissy | June 15, 2006 6:34 PM | Report abuse

You guys are mean.

Posted by: abcd | June 15, 2006 6:50 PM | Report abuse

**********************************
Isn't this ironic... Your writing an article about Britney Spears being over exposed... and yet your exposing the over exposé even more! You are pathetic.
**********************************
And if you are going to write an article about something, research it.
I'm surprised you haven't done it properly considering your writing for Washington Post.
**********************************
This quote is from your article:
"Britney blames the paparazzi for ruining her life: "I'm (an) emotional wreck right now.""

First off, I've seen the interview and I'm 100% sure that she said she was an emotional wreck because of pregnancy hormones. And she did not say that the paparazzi are ruining her life, she just said their crossing the line and she's loosing privacy.
**********************************
So.. Liz... What have you learned?
Umm maybe research more effectively? And not to be a Hypocrite..
And we all know you're just jealous of her.

Ciao
A*

Oh and if my spellings off it's because I'm 17.

Posted by: Ashley | June 15, 2006 10:27 PM | Report abuse

At 17 your not going to get any *better* at spelling. At 17 you're about to graduate from school. If you can't spell as a senior in high school, you should complain to your school because it has failed you.

Also, I find it fascinating that you can spell "paparazzi" (a difficult word), yet you fail at spelling "losing". That suggests you should pay less attention to pop stars and more in your english class.

A new pop star pops up every year. These people are like tissue paper. They're disposable. So don't get all hung up over Brittany. I'm sure she'll make it.... somehow.

Posted by: Bradley | June 15, 2006 10:57 PM | Report abuse

well i hear haters are just jealous of their targets. britney has alot of attention and shes not doing anything but having another baby. and shes got some money. liz ... shhhhh****

Posted by: nic card | June 16, 2006 12:02 AM | Report abuse

It looks like Britney is really just a product of what her life has always been. Fake.

Most people would wear some decent clothes, maybe get those roots touched up, and for heavens sake - LOSE THE GUM. She sat there popping gum like a every trailer trash bloated welfare broad. Of course, the Coke cup on the floor, she couldn't have a table like most people??

I feel sorry for the children that have HER as an example. She is the worst example of what a mother should be. Can't see her at a PTA meeting, can you?

They say they are going to Nambia to have this baby, maybe they could just stay there and see if they can all grow up!

Posted by: GrannyHill | June 16, 2006 12:41 AM | Report abuse

If we were all under a microscope like she is, we'd all seem crazy to somebody...celebs are under the public eye - understood - but selling lies in order to make a buck - especially when their children and families are at risk - not cool. Don't believe everything you read.

Posted by: whatithink | June 16, 2006 1:21 AM | Report abuse

Message to Britney:

Have you ever noticed that celebrities who don't talk about their boyfriends, their babies, their lives with the media at all tend to be less hassled by the media. If you want privacy, create it by keeping quiet.

One more thing - chewing gum during an interview isn't endearing.

Message to the Media:

If you believe that Britney is overexposed, stop writing about her.

Posted by: RMB | June 16, 2006 8:38 AM | Report abuse

people are people, regardless of status so live and let live and stop judging you freakin' morons!

Posted by: feder up | June 16, 2006 10:27 AM | Report abuse

9/11 was an inside job.
Bin Laden is innocent

Posted by: OBL | June 16, 2006 11:01 AM | Report abuse

She will always be trash. Money does not buy taste.

Posted by: ry | June 17, 2006 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I graduated with a 94% average. All my teachers know I am horrible at spelling, and that doesnt make me anyless smarter.

I am smart,my boyfriend thinks im gorgeous, i listen to pop,hip hop, rock, metal,country, raggaeton, and club/dance music, I am currently working on my first album, I have a red mercedes convertible which i work for and i just got accepted into University of Toronto for my BA in theatre.

yeah i cant spell, but that doesnt mean im dumb. Looser.

A*

Posted by: Ashley* | June 18, 2006 8:56 PM | Report abuse

First of all, driving with your baby in your lap is not 'country', it's just plain dumb. Second of all, Britney (or whatever her real name is) has a lot of growing up to do. Her image is shot and it will take a miracle to make her over. Truly, I do NOT want my 12 yr. old looking up to this person, and thankfully she doesn't. However, please do not call people white trailer trash. I'm white. I've lived in a trailer before and in the South for that matter. It does not make me trash. I grew up and moved on. Where you come from doesn't make you trash. But STAYING in any bad situation makes you stupid, because we all have the choice to move on.

Posted by: ~what?~ | June 19, 2006 9:45 AM | Report abuse

No one is forcing her to live in Los Angeles - if you really don't want all the attention, don't live in the land of the paparazzi where everyone knows your address. And lose the gum - we all believe you're "country."

Posted by: ikeaboy | June 19, 2006 12:50 PM | Report abuse

"Anyless smarter?"

Posted by: Er... | June 19, 2006 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Why isn't her 15 minutes UP yet, already!

JEEZ!

Posted by: Not a fan. | June 19, 2006 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Much heat. Little meat.

Posted by: Bob S. | June 19, 2006 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I was, of course, referring to most of the commentary. Lizzie did just fine, I thought, given how little she had to work with!

Posted by: Bob S. | June 19, 2006 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Britney is just human like you and me. She is not perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop picking on her, she is a woman that is trying to be a mother to her children. Can someone out there say that thier the perfect! No! I didn't think so. Stop being jelly!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 29, 2006 10:45 PM | Report abuse