Posted at 11:28 AM ET, 06/19/2006

Comment Box: Don't Mess With Bill

By Liz Kelly

Another Monday morning in sunny Washington, D.C. where the humidity is rising faster than the water in "Poseidon" (ba-dum-pah!). Time to review your comments.

Gza, Rza and Bill Murray in "Coffee and Cigarettes." (AP)

Totally unrelated question here: Liz, how do you feel about your favorite leading man voicing Garfield the sequel? Will you be first in line at the movies tomorrow? -- Dana comments on Help K-Fed Tell His Story

Dana is referring to Bill Murray, an actor about whom The Post's Gene Weingarten and I have disagreed in the past. Weingarten chracterizes Murray as a one-note, relatively untalented actor/comic who is basically capable of playing one character and accuses me of a blinding crush on the man, rendering me incapable of competently judging his work. He also particularly loathed his performance in "Lost in Translation." Gene is jealous.

I, predictably, thought he was great in "Lost in Translation" and contend that he is one of a very few "Saturday Night Live" alums who has managed to grow in talent following his stellar years on the show. Initially, his "Meatballs"/"Ghostbusters" trajectory did not bode well, but his performances in movies like "Groundhog Day," "Rushmore" and a hilarious cameo in Jim Jarmusch's "Coffee and Cigarettes" completely reshaped his career.

(This is not to discount his performances in genre-defining classics like "Caddyshack," "Stripes" and "What About Bob?")

However (and I hate to have to say what follows), his decision to voice "Garfield" in not one, but two, inane animated kid flicks is disappointing. I'm sure he's making beaucoup bucks, thereby enabling him to continue to dabble in low-paying indies, but it's a painful trade-off for fans. And what about those indies? Both "Broken Flowers" and "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" were initially promising, but ultimately unsatisfying.

So, Dana, I was not first in line at the movies for "Garfield." I wisely spent my money on "Nacho Libre."

Message to Britney: Have you ever noticed that celebrities who don't talk about their boyfriends, their babies, their lives with the media at all tend to be less hassled by the media. If you want privacy, create it by keeping quiet. One more thing -- chewing gum during an interview isn't endearing. Message to the Media: If you believe that Britney is overexposed, stop writing about her. -- RMB comments on Britney: Overexposed

RMB, I couldn't agree with you more -- well, mostly. See, all of your advice is good and Britney would do well to heed your warnings about putting herself out there as the ripest of targets. Driving with baby on lap and posting cryptic poetry to one's official Web site aren't really publicity-shunning moves. But you can't expect us to stop writing about her, overexposed or not, this slo-mo train wreck begs to be chronicled and I, for one, refuse to let her continuing foibles pass unremarked. I still think she's overexposed, but this too shall pass.

Funniest Comment of the Week:
Britney on Dateline -- cool. Can't wait to see the looks of the faces of those Internet sex predators when they find out that the sleazy, skeezy, easy teen was actually Ms. Spears, who may be a lot of things, but is definitely *not* a teen. -- byoolin comments on Britney: Overexposed

Also, a quick thanks for all the ideas for our own yearly celebrity honor, which we'll be awarding later this week. It's not too late to submit more to celebritology@washingtonpost.com.

By Liz Kelly  | June 19, 2006; 11:28 AM ET
Categories:  Housekeeping, Miscellaneous
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Jolie Says Birth Was 'Terrifying'
Next: Morning Mix: When Angelina Talks, People Listen

Comments

Doesn't Ms. Spears have anyone to advise her before she makes a national TV appearance? In her interview with Matt Lauer, she looked like the worst case of trailer trash...hair, makeup, clothing, etc. could not have been worse if she tried. And couldn't someone have handed her a tissue before she wiped her nose with her hand?!

Posted by: stunned viewer | June 19, 2006 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I have to disagree with the choice Mr. Murray choosing to do Garfield as the wrong one. I am a great Garfield fan who has a daughter who has watched the first movie a million times over (luckily I wasn't in the room for each one). In choosing her movie this weekend she chose Garfield over Cars. After leaving the movie she asked to go back and see it again. She has never done this with one still in the movie theater but I have promised to buy it as soon as it is available since it will be cheaper than going to the theater. I was not so sure about Bill doing the voice of Garfield since I was used to the cartoon version but now can't imagine anyone else to do so. I am a huge Bill Murray fan but have been unable to see most of his adult movies now that I live in Kiddyland and don't even have much time anymore for rentals. I love reading this blog for all the fantasy-time celebrity info. Makes me feel like I still know whats going on in mainstream culture.

Posted by: Dlyn | June 19, 2006 1:16 PM | Report abuse

So what does Gene know? I also liked Lost. Perhaps Gene witht his wonderful SAT score is just not as bright as he wants to be. He should let it go. Nobody is as smart as he wants to be. It is all personal. If you like something then like it. It does not matter who else agrees.

Posted by: Gary Masters | June 19, 2006 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I like Bill and sort of dislike that he does the Garfield movies, but he doesn't want to spend much time away from his family, so it makes sense.

Posted by: Anna | June 20, 2006 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anna | June 20, 2006 6:56 PM | Report abuse

most actors are one-trick ponies.

here's one I'll get flame about, but think about Jack Nicholson. He plays one character, but he has a volume control. In batman, he turns it up to 10. For easy rider it was down to 2. For chinatown it was like 4.

But it's the same character. And he does it for every movie and all you people go crazy like he's good. I mean, the guy is fine. But he really is overrated and he looks gross and I dont get it. And yes, I'm old. I'm in my 50's. And I still dont' get why Jack Nicholson is considered a genius. If he's a genius, then sylvester stallone is a real thespian.

Posted by: Bradley | June 21, 2006 12:29 AM | Report abuse