Posted at 10:44 AM ET, 07/12/2006

A Communal '80s Mix Tape

By Liz Kelly

Was "Billie Jean" the greatest song released in the '80s?

Run DMC's "Raising Hell". (Courtesy of Arista Records)

According to British magazine Q it is, but we know better: that you can't really choose one best '80s song because there were so many. Hence the recent uptick in '80s oldies stations, the bulk of VH1 Classic's programming and revival bands like D.C.'s fabulous Legwarmers.

Although Q listed its version of a top five list, why stop there? Use the comments area to add your own top five or 10 '80s songs. By the end of the day we should have the makings of a great iTunes playlist (or "mix tape" to stick to the '80s vernacular), suitable for mid-summer hi-fi blasting.

Q's Top Five:
1. "Billie Jean" (Michael Jackson)
2. "Blue Monday" (New Order)
3. "Kiss" (Prince)
4. "Walk This Way" (Aerosmith/Run DMC)
5. "Sweet Child O' Mine" (Guns n' Roses)

Jane's Addiction. (VISAGE)

My Top 10:
1. "Jane Says" or "Ocean Size" (Jane's Addiction)
2. "No Sleep Till Brooklyn" (Beastie Boys)
3. "With or Without You" (U2)
4. "Like a Virgin" (Madonna)
5. "All Cried Out" (Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam)
6. "F*** the Police" (NWA)
7. "Girls On Film" (Duran Duran)
8. "We Got the Beat" (Go-Gos)
9. "Is It Live" (Run DMC)
10. "The Show" (Doug E. Fresh/Slick Rick)

I could go on and on and on. I'm going to hyperventilate because I had no room for EPMD, Boogie Down Productions, Public Enemy, NWA, Deelite, Guns N' Roses, Def Leppard, the Misfits, Metallica, Billy Idol, REM, the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Sigh.

Also, for a movie with a great '80s soundtrack, rent 2001's "Donnie Darko" (unfortunately the soundtrack CD only contains original compositions, but several kind souls offer an approximate mix on iTunes.)

P.S. A few months ago we compiled a list of the best '80s teen movies and I'm still working my way through them on my Netflix list.

By Liz Kelly  | July 12, 2006; 10:44 AM ET
Categories:  Miscellaneous, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Holmes Says Suri's 'Doing Great'
Next: Morning Mix: Son Urinates on Michael Douglas

Comments

Liz, no Price? You're crazy.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2006 10:46 AM | Report abuse

That should be Prince, not Price.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2006 10:46 AM | Report abuse

"My Philosophy" by Boogie Down Productions has got to be the best rap song EVER!!!!

Posted by: boondocksjunkie | July 12, 2006 11:22 AM | Report abuse

"Girls on Film" - nice!

I was always a bigger "Borderline" or "Lucky Star" fan myself, but you can't beat that "Like a Virgin" video!

Posted by: Chrine | July 12, 2006 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Here are some better 80's songs:

1. Little Red Corvette - Prince
2. Borderline - Madonna
3. Electric Avenue ? some what hit wonder
4. Every Breath you take - Police
5. "drive"? - the Cars (that slow balad song? )
6. Thriller - Michael Jackson

Posted by: Dawn | July 12, 2006 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Eddie Grant sang Electric Avenue

Posted by: Mike | July 12, 2006 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I had to go with a top 12...I couldn't cut it down, even though I was determined not to repeat any of the songs mentioned already by Liz or the rest of the commenters. Here's what I came up with...

12. DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, "Parents Just Don't Understand"
11. Don Henley, "End of the Innocence"
10. Sting, "Russians"
9. Rick Springfield, "Jesse's Girl"
8. Soft Cell, "Tainted Love"
7. Alphaville, "Forever Young"
6. Tracy Chapman, "Fast Car"
5. Prince, "Kiss"
4. Bruce Hornsby & The Range, "The Show Goes On"
3. Dream Academy, "Life in a Northern Town"
2. Bon Jovi, "Born to Be My Baby"
1. Peter Gabriel, "In Your Eyes"

Genie

Posted by: Genie | July 12, 2006 12:33 PM | Report abuse

You've also got to love:
1. Baby Got Back (Sir Mix-a-Lot)
2. You Gotta Fight For Your Right to Party (Beastie Boys)
3. Bad (Michael Jackson)
4. Rapper's Delight - the long verison (Sugar Hill Gang)
5. Rebel Yell (Billy Idol)

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2006 12:37 PM | Report abuse

1. The Killing Moon - Echo and the Bunnymen
2. Still Ill - The Smiths
3. Another Nail in my Heart: Squeeze
4. South Central Rain: REM
5. Tantalized: The Church
6: New Year's Day: U2
7. Rattlesnakes: Lloyd Cole
8. I want You Back: Hoodoo Gurus
9. Don't Stand So Close to Me: The Police
10. Black Coffee in Bed: Squeeze

Posted by: Chris, DC | July 12, 2006 12:41 PM | Report abuse

My list is in no particular order:

When In Rome, "The Promise"
Matthew Wilder, "Break My Stride"
Mr. Mister, "Broken Wings" and "Kyrie" (they are tied)
Tears For Fears "Sowing the Seeds of Love"
Wang Chung "Everybody Have Fun Tonight"
The Smiths "How Soon Is Now"
Fine Young Cannibals "She Drives Me Crazy"
Beach Boys "Kokomo"
INXS "I Need You Tonight/Mediate"
Depeche Mode "Enjoy The Silence"

There are plenty more I could mention, but that would take all day. Love this blog Liz! :)

Posted by: McLean | July 12, 2006 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Oh yes, and don't forget Huey Lewis and the News "The Power of Love"

Posted by: McLean | July 12, 2006 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Aha - Take on Me
The Alarm - Rain in the Summertime

Posted by: Me | July 12, 2006 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence/Personal Jesus
The Cure - Friday I'm in Love

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2006 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe not even a mention of Night Ranger's Sister Christian.

How about any song by Blondie?

And "Oh Yeah", by Yello.

Posted by: Chris | July 12, 2006 1:33 PM | Report abuse

5. It's a Mug's Game - Soft Cell
4. Left of Center - Suzanne Vega
3. Breaking Us In Two - Joe Jackson
2. Behind the Wheel - Depeche Mode
1. There is a Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths

Posted by: bamagirlinVA | July 12, 2006 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Some great 80s soundtracks can be found in:

Grosse Pointe Blank
So I Married an Axe Murderer
50 First Dates (mostly remixes, tho)
and of course, the Wedding Singer.

Blister in the Sun by Violent Femmes is one that constantly gets stuck in my head.

Posted by: Em | July 12, 2006 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Liz, I hope you have some sentimental attachment to "Jane Says," because otherwise it does NOT belong on this list.

Also, I'm seeing a lot of borderline 70s/90s songs on here. Be careful!

1. MJ - Billie Jean
2. The Cure - Just Like Heaven
3. The Smiths - How Soon Is Now?
4. Journey - Separate Ways (thought I was gonna say "Don't Stop Belieiving," didn't you?)
5. Simple Minds - Don't You (Forget About Me)
6. a-ha - Take On Me
7. Men at Work - Land Down Under
8. Human League - Don't You Want Me
9. Flock of Seagulls - I Ran
10. The Outfield - Your Love (#10 here, but #1 in Adams Morgan)

Hon mention: Eddie Murphy - Party All the Time

Posted by: chaz | July 12, 2006 1:40 PM | Report abuse

My opinion (for what it's worth)..."80's Song" means more than just a song that came out in the 80's. It's gotta be cheesy and synthesized and more "entertaining" than "good." If it holds up over time and would get airplay if it came out now (not saying much since new music is pretty loathsome today), I don't count it as an 80's song

e.g. Tainted Love, Take on Me - 80's Songs...early stuff by Jane's Addiction, REM, U2 - not 80's songs.

Posted by: db | July 12, 2006 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Gotta have some Bon Jovi in there.

Posted by: Kristine | July 12, 2006 1:48 PM | Report abuse

There was no socially redeeming music from the 80s. All of it was horrible. I went to high school from 81-85 and even then I thought the music of that era SUCKED. It still does. Bury it and tell me when the nostalgic trip is over. Ick.

Posted by: Brod | July 12, 2006 1:54 PM | Report abuse

One-hit wonders are very '80s:

One Night in Bangkok -- Murray Head
Puttin' On the Ritz -- Taco
Chariots of Fire -- Vangelis
She Blinded Me With Science -- Thomas Dolby
Total Eclipse of the Heart -- Bonnie Tyler

And, just because...
Morrisey -- Hairdresser on Fire

Posted by: Johnny 5 | July 12, 2006 1:55 PM | Report abuse

db-

No!! This is a chance to correct the revisionist history that has occurred for 20 years. The 80's should NOT be remembered for the "cheesy and synthesized" fluff that has come to (wrongly) epitomize 80's music. I think the sophisticated, truly artful side of the 80's (that people were really listening to)needs to finally be recognized. So let's let U2, REM, Smiths, Cure, etc. get their due for truly defining and carrying that decade.

No more Kajagoogoo!!

(P.S. That said, I kind of agree with you about Jane's Addiction)

Posted by: Chris | July 12, 2006 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Bon Jovi--You Give Love a Bad Name/Livin on a Prayer

Poison--Every Rose Has Its Thorn

Billy Idol--White Wedding

The Cure--Love Cats

Herbie Hancock--Axel F

Roy Orbison--You Got It

George Harrison--(I've Got My Mind) Set On You

LL Cool J--Going Back to Cali

Public Enemy--Fight the Power

Posted by: Brian | July 12, 2006 2:04 PM | Report abuse

"There was no socially redeeming music from the 80s. All of it was horrible"

Apparently you were listening to the wrong radio station! The advent of college rock in the early 80s led to some of the greatest music in the past 30 years. Bands like U2 and REM will definitely stand the test of time.

Posted by: Gary | July 12, 2006 2:05 PM | Report abuse

In addition to those mentioned previously:

Modern English -- I Melt With You (aka the "Stairway to Heaven" of the Eighties)

John Cougar Mellencamp -- Pink Houses

Bruce Springsteen - Dancing in the Dark

Billy Squier -- The Stroke, Everybody Wants You

Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me

A-ha -- Take On Me

Bruce Springsteen -- Born In The USA, Dancing in the Dark

Queen -- Another One Bites the Dust

The Clash -- Rock the Casbah

REM -- It's The End of the World As We Know It

Talking Heads - Burning Down The House

B 52's -- Rock Lobster, Love Shack

Bob Seger - Old Time Rock and Roll (even if not written in the Eighties, the song rose to prominence when Tom Cruise lip-synched it -- while wearing just socks, shirt and underwear -- in "Risky Business")

David Bowie - Modern Love

5.Eyes without A Face-Billy Idol
4.Original Sin-INXS
3.In a Big Country-Big Country
2.Age of Consent-New Order
1.The whole of the Moon-Waterboys

Posted by: lonestar21 | July 12, 2006 2:12 PM | Report abuse

There was some really terrific stuff released in the 1980s. Some of the early hip-hop, before it become overly commercialized is pretty compelling, even if it's not for me. Some of the best punk rock and ska music was released in the 80s. For the most part, jazz music took a dive off the muzak cliff, but there was still plenty of good stuff.

My overly dorky list of top five songs releaed in the 80s:

"Rain Dogs" - Tom Waits
"A Town Called Malice" - The Jam
"A New England" - Billy Bragg
"Free Nelson Mandela" - The Specials
"Under Pressure" - Queen & David Bowie

I wanted to include "Steppin' Out," but someone else already did. Bummer.

N.B.: "Baby Got Back" was released in 1992, and doesn't even sound like an 80's song.

Posted by: DG | July 12, 2006 2:13 PM | Report abuse

In my book, '80s song means any song released from 1980 - 1989, whether its closer in spirit to the '70s or '90s doesn't matter, it's still a product of the '80s and although there are a lot of predictably quintessential '80s songs ("Thriller," "Take on Me," etc.), our memories -- and memorable songs -- from that era will vary.

Hence, mine includes Jane's Addiction -- which truly was a groundbreaking band for little hoodlum punk kids like me and the Beastie Boys, whose "Licensed to Ill" concert was my first -- with openers Murphy's Law and the Junkyard Gang.

How's that for a run-on sentence followed up with a total digression?

Posted by: Liz | July 12, 2006 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Ya'll are missing the best 80's song of all - We Are The World.

Posted by: another 1985 grad | July 12, 2006 2:15 PM | Report abuse

More one-hit wonders:
Our House by Madness (was that really the name of the group?!?)

Too Shy, by Kajagoogoo

Come on Eileen

Posted by: sarah | July 12, 2006 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe no one has mentioned "Hungry Like the Wolf" by Duran Duran. Shame on you people!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2006 2:32 PM | Report abuse

1. Billie Jean - (Michael Jackson hater's get over it)
2. Once in a Lifetime - Talking Heads
13. What's Love Got To Do With It - Tina Turner
14. Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) - Eurythmics
15. With Or Without You - U2

Posted by: Joe | July 12, 2006 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I Melt with You -- Modern English

Posted by: Jill | July 12, 2006 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I apreciate the trip down memory lane... I love the music in "the Wedding Singer" and all the other 80s references in that cute movie with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore, the guy who impersonates Boy George in that film was fantastic.
Most of the songs I would have listed were already acknowledged, but many classic Bob Marley hits actually were released in the 80s, and though most people probably heard them in the 90s more often, I think songs from his last one or two albums deserve mention. (Three Little Birds, Buffalo Solider....)

Posted by: Michelle | July 12, 2006 2:41 PM | Report abuse

You're too shy shy.... hush hush

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2006 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"Every Day I Write the Book" -- Elvis Costello
"Pulling Mussels from the Shell" -- Squeeze
"How Ya Like Me Now?" -- Kool Moe Dee
"Temptation" -- New Order
-- any of those "a e i o u" vowel songs

I could go on...
These lists are taking me way back!!
Madness BTW was not a one-hit wonder; they had a couple of other hits including "One Step Beyond"
Anyone know who did the song that went: "We're standing on the escalator of life, we're shopping in the human mall"? THAT's classic 80s cheese.

Posted by: D. the D. | July 12, 2006 2:49 PM | Report abuse

My take...

These songs are mostly personal favorites from the 80s, in no particular order...

Sunday Bloody Sunday, U2
The entire Reckoning album, REM (particularly a fan of Letter Never Sent)
Don't You Forget About Me, Simple Minds
King of Pain, The Police
Blue Monday, New Order
Games Without Frontiers, Peter Gabriel
Road to Nowhere, Talking Heads
Feurio, Einsturzende Neubauten
Tom Sawyer, Rush
Rock Lobster, B52s (the quintessential silly party song)
When Doves Cry, Prince
Take on Me, a-ha
Lovecats, the Cure
and
Oh Yeah, Yello (chick...chicka chickaaaa...)

Posted by: another 85 grad | July 12, 2006 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Rock Me Amadeus!!!

Posted by: Falco | July 12, 2006 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if I'd call them great, but memorable movie tracks from the 80s:
Ghostbusters
Pump up the Volume (it was release in 1990, but filmed in the eighties)
Dirty Dancing
16 Candles
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Top Gun
Breakfast Club
Despertly Seeking Susan
Working Girl
Flash Dance
Footloose

Posted by: Adrienne | July 12, 2006 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe no one has mentioned Lionel Ritchie: "Dancing on the Ceiling", "Say You, Say Me" and I've suppressed the rest of them in my memory.

Posted by: 80sgirl | July 12, 2006 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Note - the extended "Salieri Mix" of Rock Me Amadeus is the true classic.

And don't forget After The Fire's version of "Der Kommissar"

Lesser-known classic: "Promises, Promises" by Naked Eyes

Posted by: PS | July 12, 2006 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Or the Thompson Twins: "Lies", "Into the Gap", or "Hold Me Now".

Posted by: 80sgirl | July 12, 2006 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah-
Freeze Frame by J Geils Band
Betty Davis Eyes- Kim Carnes
Jump- Van Halen
Strangers when we meet- The Smithereens
early Steel Pulse
crazy train- ozzy osbourne
twilight zone- ?
kick (entire album)by INXS
9 to 5 - Dolly Parton
synchronicity (entire album)- The Police

Glad I just got a new turntable....!

Posted by: Michelle | July 12, 2006 3:05 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, no one incuded Shout? tears for fears? Summer of, um '85... was there anything else on the radio?

Posted by: Mdsailor | July 12, 2006 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Patti LaBelle's "New Attitude" - I still love that song!

Posted by: Steve | July 12, 2006 3:09 PM | Report abuse

A few more that haven't yet been mentioned, I don't think:

"Back on the Chain Gang" - Pretenders
"Precious" - Pretenders
"How Soon Is Now" - Smiths
"Tenderness" - General Public

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2006 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Tears for fears-yes! And I still love to hear "Everybody wants to rule the world", too. I am still mad at my brother for not playing it at his wedding in 2001! And don't forget 99 Red Balloons.....

Posted by: Michelle | July 12, 2006 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Wham!: "Wake Me Up (before you go)"

and George Michael: "Faith", "Father Figure"

Posted by: 80sgirl | July 12, 2006 3:11 PM | Report abuse

80sGirl....right on!
Totally forgot about Lionel Richie! "Say You Say Me" was a good song.

The Top Gun Soundtrack was quality. That was the first album I ever owned. I was like 4 then, and I was obsessed with the song Danger Zone.

Also, another good song from a great 80s movie...the Kenny Loggins song from Caddyshack, I wish I could remember the name!

Posted by: McLean | July 12, 2006 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Yaz sometimes also called Yazoo? I have lost the tape, but the whole things was very 80s and haunting.
Also "Tour de France" - an early techno/rap era song from 1983, I think.

Posted by: Michelle | July 12, 2006 3:14 PM | Report abuse

"I Don't Wanna Lose Your Love Tonight" - Outfield
"The Boys of Summer" - Don Henley
"A Little Respect" & "Sometimes" - Erasure
"Rock Me Amadeus" - Falco
"Bizarre Love Triangle" - New Order

Posted by: Phil | July 12, 2006 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey, how can you forget the Bangles?

Either Walk like an Egyptian or Manic Monday are great 80s songs.

Wasn't Sir Mix A Lot in the 90s? I think some of you have faulty memories.

Posted by: Where's the Bangles? | July 12, 2006 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Liz, on top of everything else, you have *great* taste in music. I would have thought I was the only one who whould include Misfits, PE, Jane's and that Lisa Lisa song in my 80s canon. Nice!

Posted by: halleck23 | July 12, 2006 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Here's my top 10:

1. The Replacements, "Alex Chilton"
2. The Dream Syndicate, "Tell Me When It's Over."
3. Husker Du, "Don't Want To Know If You Are Lonely."
4. The dB's "A Spy In The House Of Love."
5. Let's Active, "In Little Ways."
6. The Long Ryders, "Looking for Lewis and Clark."
7. PIL "Rise."
8. Golden Palominos, "Boy (Go)."
9. Love Tractor, "Cartoon Kiddies."
10. REM, "Little America."

Posted by: John | July 12, 2006 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it fun that the 80s are coming back. My 6 year old loves music from that era (and older!) plus she loves to wear one of her daddy's tee shirts with a wide belt.

I don't think there is a best 80s song - they were all fun!

Posted by: Oh So Retro | July 12, 2006 3:40 PM | Report abuse

For Donnie Darko they changed the soundtrack with the latest director's cut of the movie. From what I understand, it lost some of the better tracks in the process (to ones the director originally wanted but could not afford to get).

Need some Fall on the list.

Posted by: Chris M | July 12, 2006 3:48 PM | Report abuse

When anybody tries to tell me the music of the 80's was all crap, I remind them of Stevie Ray Vaughn. Anybody who has heard Stevie (either solo or with Double Trouble) will understand.

Posted by: morethan2activebraincells | July 12, 2006 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I guess this list is excessive, but compiling it was a fun trip down memory lane. No particular order here....

Siouxie and the Banshees, Cities in Dust
The Clash, This is Radio Clash
Midnight Oil, Beds are Burning
Devo, Freedom of Choice
Kraftwerk, Tour de France
Depeche Mode, Everything Counts
The The, Infected
Lene Lovich, It's You, Only You (Mein Schmerz)
Gene Loves Jezebel, Desire
ABC, The Look of Love
The English Beat, Save it For Later
Thompson Twins, Lies
Ministry, Work for Love
I Wanted to Tell Her
Romeo Void, Never Say Never
Gang of Four, I Love a Man in a Uniform
Peter Murphy, Indigo Eyes
New Order, Blue Monday
Squeeze, Take Me, I'm Yours

Posted by: Kimmer | July 12, 2006 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Black Flag "My War"

Posted by: Don | July 12, 2006 4:04 PM | Report abuse

"When Doves Cry" or "Billie Jean" have to be #1-2, I don't care what list you are making.

Posted by: frogurt | July 12, 2006 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Holy bejesus. This list makes me feel old. Like, I'm now a part of the cast in "Thirtysomethings"

WOW.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2006 4:15 PM | Report abuse

"Eternal Flame" The Bangles
"Cruel Summer" Banarama
"Red Red Wine" UB40

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2006 4:24 PM | Report abuse

In no particular order:

Welcome to the Jungle (Guns 'n Roses)
Paradise City (Guns 'n roses)
Bang Your Head (Metal Health) (Quiet Riot)
Walking on the moon (The Police)
Dirty white boy (Foreigner)
Break it up (Foreigner)
Cars (Gary Numan)
The one thing (INXS)
Don't change (INXS)
Orange crush (R.E.M.)
End of the innocence (Don Henley)
Wanted dead or alive (Bon Jovi)
Alive and kicking (Simple minds)
Dance hall days (Wang Chung)

Posted by: Jimbo | July 12, 2006 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey, jb, what you're talking about already has a name - it' called "synthpop" (which is actually a subset of new wave). Regardless, neither term has sole claim to the title "80's music", which included new wave, hip hop, hair metal, death metal, indie/alternative/college rock, even Christian pop-rock (remember Amy Grant?).

Also, even with Liz's *brilliant* definition of 80's music, there's one huge, glaring omission that can never be fixed: The Clash's "London Calling", which contains at least six great tunes that I would consider tunes of the 80s, was released on Dec. 14, 1979, thereby dooming it, for all eternity as "70's music", along with "Afternoon Delight" and "Billy Don't be a Hero". What a travesty, man.

Okay on to the show: I had a list that went to eleven, but didn't want to duplicate, so I cut some. Here's what's left.

Public Enemy -- "Don't Believe the Hype". (I wanted to go with "911 is a Joke", but "Fear of a Black Planet" wasn't released until '90)

The Buggles -- "Video Killed the Radio Star". Quintessential 80's tune, even if it is bubble-gum synthpop.

Husker Du -- "Makes No Sense At All/Love is All Around"

Pixies -- "Gigantic" or "Debaser"

Guns N' Roses -- "Sweet Child O' Mine"

Alphaville -- "Forever Young"

Camper Van Beethoven -- "Take the Skinheads Bowling"

Pretenders -- "Talk of the Town"

Violent Femmes -- "Kiss Off" (a much better tune, and much less over-exposed, than "Blister in the Sun")

Posted by: Party of One | July 12, 2006 4:31 PM | Report abuse

My All-Time 80's:

1. With or Without You -- U2
2. Hungry Like the Wolf -- Duran2
3. Melt with You -- Modern English
4. The Breaks -- Kurtis Blow
5. Let the Music Play -- Shannon
6. Beat Surrender -- The Jam
7. It's My Life (Extended) Talk Talk
8. Wanna be Startin' Something -- Michael
9. Free Nelson Mandela -- Specials AKA
10.The Killing Moon -- Echo/Bunnymen

Posted by: Steve Slatten | July 12, 2006 4:32 PM | Report abuse

In no particular order, I propose

"Suedehead," Morrisey
"Never You Done That," General Public
"The Ghost in You," Psychedelic Furs
"What I Am," Edie Brickell...
"He's So Shy," Pointer Sisters - a guilty pleasure!
"Stuck With You," Huey Lewis and da News
"Who Can It Be Now?" Men at Work
"Pass the Dutchie," Musical Youth
"All I Need Is a Miracle," Mike and the Mechanics
"Easy Lover," Phil Collins and Phillip Bailey - two times the Phil, baby!
and you gotta have "Your Love" by the Outfield!

Posted by: Sean | July 12, 2006 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Whitesnake - "Here I go again"

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2006 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Top of my list would be:

1) Love My Way - Psychedelic Furs

11) Bring on the Dancing Horses- Echo & the Bunnymen
12) Tell Me Why - Bronski Beat
13) Don't Go - Yaz
14) Bigmouth Strikes Again - The Smiths
15) Hounds of Love - Kate Bush

Posted by: Ken | July 12, 2006 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Sorry folks, 80s wasn't about The Smiths or The Clash or REM or Modern English or Depeche Mode.

The 80s was about Madonna.

Posted by: Arlington Dad | July 12, 2006 4:53 PM | Report abuse

You have to take your pick between David Lee and Sammy, too. I'd put "Beautiful Girls" up against "Best of Both Worlds" and let 'em duke it out.

Posted by: sean | July 12, 2006 4:53 PM | Report abuse

What, no J. Geils?
Centerfold or Freeze Frame must be on the list.

And, who could forget Men in Hats--Safety Dance?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2006 4:54 PM | Report abuse

How about these?:

Big in Japan- Alphaville

Beds are burning - Midnight oil

Yah Mo B There - Michael McDonald $ James Ingram

Pass the dutchie - Musical youth

It's my life - Talk Talk

Red rain-Peter Gabriel

Sledgehammer- P. Gabriel

Foolin' - Def Leppard

Rocket - Def Leppard

Hungry for you - the police

Human - Human league

Posted by: Americano | July 12, 2006 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Don't leave out "Somebody's Baby," Jackson Browne and "867-5309," Tommy Tutone, or for that matter "She's a Beauty" and "Talk to Ya Later" by the Tubes.

Posted by: sean again | July 12, 2006 5:00 PM | Report abuse

This is a toughie. Do you go with 80s kitch like the Go Gos "Our Lips Are Sealed," Men Without Hats "Safety Dance," and Wang Chung "Dancehall Days"?

Or do you go with great 80s alt rock like R.E.M. "Radio Free Europe," Siouxsie and the Banchees "Kiss Them For Me," School of Fish's "Three Strange Days," "Mexican Radio" and so many others?

Like I said, it's a tough choice.

Posted by: Glover Park | July 12, 2006 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Nice props to Run-DMC...Raising Hell was THE album.

Am I the only one who still remebers all the words to "My Adidas"?

Posted by: Glover Park | July 12, 2006 5:02 PM | Report abuse

This is almost like a "Desert Island" list. So many of these are great, but I would add

U2, Bad
Depeche Mode, Strangelove
Police, Every Little Thing She Does is Magic
INXS, Devil Inside
The Church, Under the Milky Way
Corey Hart, Sunglasses at Night
Def Leppard: Pour Some Sugar on Me

Posted by: dara | July 12, 2006 5:06 PM | Report abuse

glover park, you go with good music from the 80s, not teeny-bopper disco-wannabe crap. just because you can dance to it doesn't make it good. end of story.

i left out "true faith" by new order.

Posted by: bamagirlinVA | July 12, 2006 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey, country poked it's nose around the radio back then - "Drivin' My Life Away" or something by Juice Newton? How about that guy Kenny Rogers' dad, Kenny Rogers? The Gambler! Hank Jr., Dolly, Alabama, "Elvira" by the Oak Ridge Boys? Not that I have any of that stuff.

Posted by: um...sean | July 12, 2006 5:12 PM | Report abuse

What about:

The Cult, "She Sells Sanctuary"

Posted by: Oh yeah | July 12, 2006 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Even more!

"Under Pressure" - David Bowie & Queen
"Modern Love" & "Let's Dance" - David Bowie
"True Faith," "1963," "Perfect Kiss" - New Order
"Heart and Soul" - T'Pau
"Hold Me Now" - Thompson Twins
"Eat It," "Fat," "Ricky" - "Weird Al" Yankovic
"Mickey" - Toni Basil
"Gloria" & "Self-Control" - Laura Branigan
"What Have I Done to Deserve This?" - Pet Shop Boys

Posted by: Phil | July 12, 2006 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Glover Park, "Mexican Radio" is by Wall of Voodoo, a good one indeed.

867-5309 (Jenny) by Tommy Tutone was a good one too.

Posted by: Americano | July 12, 2006 5:16 PM | Report abuse

The Show was probably the best hip hop party song in the 1980's, but The Message by Grandmaster Flash in 1982 laid down what it was like living in the ghetto. It led to artists like Public Enemy and BDP . . .

Posted by: tempo341 | July 12, 2006 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm Still Standing - Elton John (great video too!)

Posted by: Jen | July 12, 2006 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Frankie says: RELAX

Posted by: Frankie | July 12, 2006 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Any love for Scritti Politti? Can't remember the song, but for some reason the name stands out.

Posted by: cg | July 12, 2006 5:29 PM | Report abuse

So from the 80's I'll keep

Police
U2
Stevie Ray Vaughan
REM
Tears for Fears

The rest you can keep hearing over and over and over on the 2 classic rock stations we have

Posted by: George | July 12, 2006 5:32 PM | Report abuse

If you seriously list Husker Du and Siouxsie and the Banshees as having the "best" representative songs of the 80s, you and your black fingernail polish are just TOO pretentious for words. You were a social misfit for a reason, you know, and it definitely was not because you were better than everyone else.

Posted by: G | July 12, 2006 5:32 PM | Report abuse

All right guys, now today's quote......

"No shoes, no shirt, no dice!!"

(Jeff Spicoli, PhD.)

Posted by: Americano | July 12, 2006 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Scritti Politti - "The Perfect Way" and that 'dance like Aretha Franklin' tune.

For my early hip-hop I'll toss out "The Showdown" by Sugar Hill and Furious Five(?) (I'm gonna tell a little story bout the Sugar Hill gang, with a pow-pow-boogie and a big bang-bang!) "Jam on It" Whodini and "The Show " (6 minutes, Dougie Fresh, you're on!)

"Words" Missing Persons, "Lucky Number" Lene Iovich and "Sunday Papers" Joe Jackson to hang with the new-wave-punk identity-crisis havers.

Having fun here, Liz. Blame it on the rain. Hey, there's another one!

Posted by: sean | July 12, 2006 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Brian -- Harold Faltermyer did "Axel F," not Herbie Hancock.

CG -- Scritti Politti's one hit was "I Found A Perfect Way."

Gosh, all this incredible music and all these great memories. Why do I feel like I'm in a Time Life infomercial?

Posted by: NAC | July 12, 2006 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the reminder re: "Mexican Radio." I had a brain freeze on Wall of Voodoo.

But isn't everyone forgetting the Miami Vice theme!?!?!?!?

Posted by: Glover Park | July 12, 2006 6:27 PM | Report abuse

If the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard could be translated to musical verse, its manifestation would be "Jane Says." I can think of no sound--not Sonny and Sam on the Redskins, not Glen what's-his-name's Love Songs dedications, not Diane Rehm--that can get me to change the radio station faster than the "singing voice" of Perry Feral, excuse me, Ferrall.

Posted by: Hey, Jane: Shut Up | July 12, 2006 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Clearly there's been an oversight. How could we all have forgotten Asia? Surely you all loved it as much as I did... Who didn't love Heat of the Moment?

Posted by: Kate | July 12, 2006 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Wow, G., judgmental much?

Ya' know, some of us for whom Husker Du or the Cure or Siouxsie or the Clash bring back fond memories of how we spent the 80's are actually happy, well-adjusted, contributing members of society. I own my home, I pay my taxes (my tax bill last year actually exceeded the median income in the U.S.), I smile, wave and say "hi" to neighbors that I barely know, and I've even been known to give (accurate) directions to tourists who stop me on the street. Social misfit -- I don't think so.

So, instead of trying to judge a group of people solely by their musical tastes, why don't you climb on down off your hobby horse of pretention and join the rest of us for what amounts to nothing more than a little stroll down memory lane. We promise not to pre-judge you, if you promise to do likewise.

Posted by: Party of Nil | July 12, 2006 6:36 PM | Report abuse

12" records:
Go! - Tones on Tail
Bizarre Love Triangle - New Order
Touched by the Hand of God - New Order
Perfect Day - the the
Doot Doot - Freur

Posted by: Stef Caunter | July 12, 2006 6:40 PM | Report abuse

1. Wake me up before you go-go
2. Girls just wanna have fun(-un)
3. Like a virgin
4. Take on Me
5. Salsbury Hill
6. Fast Car - Tracy Chapman

Posted by: MD | July 12, 2006 6:44 PM | Report abuse

The Flying Pickets' cover of Yaz/Yazoo's song "Only You." WPLJ in New York played in constantly.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2006 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Depeche Mode, Blasphemous Rumors
Berlin, Take My Breath Away
Bow Wow Wow, I Want Candy
Adam Ant, Goody Two Shoes
Ramones, Rock & Roll High School

Posted by: Shayna, Brooklyn | July 12, 2006 7:03 PM | Report abuse

also:

The Pogues, Fairytale of New York.
Kirsty MacColl, There's A Guy Works Down the Chip Shop (Swears He's Elvis).
Michelle Shocked, Anchorage.

Posted by: Shayna, Brooklyn | July 12, 2006 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Every great song of the 1980s was recorded in 1982. To wit:

"Heat of the Moment" by Asia
"Don't You Want Me" by Human League
"Hungry Like The Wolf" by Duran Duran (a hit here in 1983, notably, but actually a 1982 recording)
"Down Under" by Men at Work
"Town Called Malice" by the Jam
"Rock the Casbah" by the Clash
"Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor
"Theme from The Great American Hero" by Some Guy Who I Don't Remember but Sounds Like a Dime-Store James Taylor.

And I'm spent.

Posted by: MD Lewis | July 12, 2006 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Two 'big impact' songs for me were Once In A Lifetime By The Talking Heads and I Want My MTV by the Dire Straights.

Posted by: carole | July 12, 2006 7:59 PM | Report abuse

A Jackson belongs in the 80's, but it should be Janet not Michael, esp "When I think of you"

Others? Good pop anthems--

"Once in a lifetime" Talking Heads
"Under Pressure" Queen and Bowie
"Don't Dream it's over" Crowded House
"True Colors" Cyndi Lauper
"Sultans of swing" Dire Straits

Posted by: marshwl | July 12, 2006 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Party of Nil:

Thanks for calling G out on his/her snarky remarks. The music of the 80s obviously had something for most everyone, even those of us with non-mainstream tastes, and there were more of us than one might think.

It's been fun to read about what's influenced this group here and I think we'll all be very interested to see what's in the final compilation!

Posted by: Kimmer | July 12, 2006 8:17 PM | Report abuse

They Might Be Giants, Don't Let's Start

Posted by: TMBG | July 12, 2006 8:36 PM | Report abuse

thieves like us - new order
you did cut me - china crisis
never let me down again - depeche mode
how men are - aztec camera
appetite - prefab sprout
promises, promises - naked eyes

Posted by: jj | July 12, 2006 8:41 PM | Report abuse

long hot summer - the style council
cross my heart - everything but the girl
state of art - friends again
hunting high and low - a-ha
more to lose - seona dancing

Posted by: jj | July 12, 2006 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Just one other thing - the Legwarmers are indeed great coverers (is that a word?), but the classic DC-area 80's cover band is the Reagan Years. They rock. They sound like the original of every band they cover.

Posted by: mdsailor | July 12, 2006 9:23 PM | Report abuse

How about a "Dreamy Dozen"

1. Bizarre Love Triangle - New Order
2. Need You Tonight - INXS
3. Just Like Heaven - The Cure
4. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
5. Blasphemous Rumors - Depeche Mode
6. Things Can Only Get Better - Howard Jones
7. We Got the Beat - The Go-Gos
8. Obsession - Animotion
9. Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2
10. I've Got the Looks, You've Got the Brains (Let's Make Lots of Money) - Pet Shop Boys
11. In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel (Though Big Time is more indicative of the era)
12. Tempted - Squeeze

Posted by: DD | July 12, 2006 9:37 PM | Report abuse

JJ:

Aahhhhh. It's all so good!

Posted by: kimmer | July 12, 2006 9:46 PM | Report abuse

The Politics of Dancing and Romance List:

Breaking Us in Two - Joe Jackson
Burning Down The House - Talking Heads
Free Nelson Mandela - Specials
Hell is for Children - Pat Benatar
No One is To Blame - Howard Jones
Scarecrow - John Cougar Mellencamp
Sunday Bloody Sunday - U2
Tears of a Clown - The English Beat
Tempted - Squeeze
The Message - Grandmaster Flash

Posted by: Scott | July 12, 2006 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Songs lost in the shuffle
Love will tear us Apart-Joy Division

Posted by: Michelle | July 12, 2006 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Not yet mentioned, early 80s:

the Waitresses, I Know What Boys Like
Martha and the Muffins, Echo Beach
the Vapors, Turning Japanese

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2006 10:38 PM | Report abuse

What about the Musical Youth classic "Pass the Dutchie"????

Posted by: Falls Church VA | July 12, 2006 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget Marshall Crenshaw!

Posted by: cynical girl | July 12, 2006 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh my goodness -- I have pretty much been building an 80s fave list on iTunes.... I'll throw out:

Flock of Seagulls -- I Ran
T'Pau -- Heart and Soul
Michael Sembello -- Maniac
Toto -- Rosanna or Africa (or maybe both)
Something by Duran Duran -- perhaps Rio
Dexy's Midnight Runners -- Come On Eileen
Frankie Goes to Hollywood -- Relax
Soft Cell -- Tainted Love
a-ha -- Take on Me

And mad props for "I don't want to lose your love tonight" by the Outfield.

OK, maybe that's a list of (mostly) one-hit wonders. But still -- LOVE the 80s music!

Posted by: Rachel | July 12, 2006 11:03 PM | Report abuse

In no particular order...

One Thing Leads to Another - The Fixx
Dead Man's Party - Oingo Boingo (Back to School)
Bad to the Bone - George Thorogood
Where the Streets Have No Name - U2
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love - Van Halen
For Your Eyes Only - Sheena Easton
Lunatic Fringe - Red Rider (Vision Quest)
(Vision Quest soundtrack is pretty good)
Runaway - Bon Jovi
Jack and Diane - John Cougar
Let's Dance/China Girl - David Bowie
The Breakup Song - Greg Kihn
Glory Days - Bruce Springsteen

Posted by: DCAUTiger | July 12, 2006 11:31 PM | Report abuse

sweet baby - stanley clarke and george duke
secret lovers - atlantic starr
hanging on a string - loose ends
somebody else's guy - jocelyn brown
wet my whistle - midnight starr
dancing tight - galaxy
personal touch - evelyn champagne king
caught up in the rapture - anita baker
your love is king - sade
a night to remember - shalamar

Posted by: jj | July 12, 2006 11:49 PM | Report abuse

No particular order:

1. New Song - Howard Jones
2. Wouldn't It Be Good - Nik Kershaw
3. Whenever You're On My Mind - Marshall Crenshaw
4. In a Big Country - Big Country
5. Strangelove - Depeche Mode
6. Devil Inside - INXS
7. Only One I Know - Charlatans U.K.
8. Everybody Have Fun Tonight - Wang Chung
9. Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want - The Smiths
10. Perfect Girl - The Cure

Posted by: Chrine | July 13, 2006 8:31 AM | Report abuse

hi I came across your site and I really appreciate your work. I'm fond of music and just wanted to say that you provide people with very useful information. Thanks. find cheap music mp3 download.

Posted by: kerryfun | July 13, 2006 8:40 AM | Report abuse

``Jane Says'' by Janes Addiction is most definitely an '80s song. I remember the first time I heard it off the self-titled (Live) album with songs such as ``Pigs'' and ``I would for you.'' Original release date of this album was 1987.

In fact, that might be one of the best albums period of the '80s.

My Top Ten '80s songs, in no order:

1) Green and the Grey (New Model Army)
2) Jane Says (Jane's Addiction)
3) Fisherman's Blues (The Waterboys)
4) Lips Like Sugar (Echo and the Bunnymen)
5) World Leader Pretend (REM)
6) Vision Thing (Sisters of Mercy)
7) The Watchman (Fields of the Nephilim)
8) Don't You (Forget about Me) (Simple Minds)
9) Hey Jack Kerouac (10,000 Maniacs)
10) Sweet Dreams (Are Made of These) Eurythmics.

Posted by: Father of Kids from A-Z | July 13, 2006 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I didn't see this one on anyone's list:

No One Is To Blame (Howard Jones)

That song still makes me cry. I sing it to my son as a lullaby. That may sound strange to some, but then again, my mom sang Bread's "If" to me as a lullaby.

Posted by: 80's kid | July 13, 2006 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Yo Kid, I like that too, what about "Like To Get To Know You Well" also from Howie?, very cool song with some reggae and steel drum touches.

Posted by: Americano | July 13, 2006 2:37 PM | Report abuse

we also need some colourfield, human league and robert palmer.

Posted by: jj | July 13, 2006 6:15 PM | Report abuse

great idea. i have been meaning to add some more 80s to my mp3 collection and this blog has given me ample material to work with.

a few people have mentioned great 80s soundtracks. well i put together an all 80s soundtrack "mix tape" a year ago that included some pretty cheesy 80's songs. thought i'd share because i didn't see too many listed above (with good reason in some cases).

1. Glenn Frey - The Heat is On
2. Lindsey Buckingham - Holiday Road
3. The Pointer Sister - Neutron Dance
4. Joe Esposito - You're the Best Around
5. Randy Newman - Burn On
6. Survivor - Eye of the Tiger
7. Denise Williams - Let's Hear It For the Boy
8. Survivor - Burning Heart
9. Cyndi Lauper - Goonies R Good Enough
10. Christopher Cross - Arthur's Theme
11. John Parr - St Elmo's Fire
12. Jimmy Buffett - Spicoli's Theme

also, did anyone mention Wang Chung - Dance Hall Days or Everybody Have Fun Tonight? Both great 80s songs.

Posted by: Danny | July 13, 2006 7:48 PM | Report abuse

And nothing from Trio who made a comeback with Volkswagen playing their song in their ad. Da Da Da.

Posted by: Sir H C | July 14, 2006 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Just a few more to consider-
"The Promise" When in Rome
"Rhythm of the Night" DeBarge
"While You See a Chance" Steve Winwood
"Cruel Summer" Bananananaramamama
"True" Spandau Ballet
the Purple Rain soundtrack, and don't ignore Morris Day and the Time's "the Bird" and "Jungle Love"

Posted by: sean | July 14, 2006 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Come on Eileen

Posted by: Chris | July 17, 2006 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Here's one I haven't seen:
"Genuis of Love" Tom Tom Club

Also:
"Happy When It Rains" Jesus and Mary Chain
"Let the Music Play" Shannon
"After the Snow" Modern English
'The Cutter" Echo and the Bunnymen
"The Forest" the Cure
"Bela Lugoisi's Dead" Bauhaus (released in '79 but a totally 80s song)
"So Alive" Love and Rockets
"This Party Sucks"/"When I Go to the Beach" Slickee Boys
"She's Strange"
"Rumors" Timex Social CLub
"The Men All Pause"
"Friends" Whodini
"Dancing with Myself" Billy Idol
"Join in the Chant" Nitzer Ebb

I could go on and on and on...

Posted by: the Original MC | July 18, 2006 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Three not-quite-typical-80s songs that I am pretty sure I would never have heard if not for MTV:

- Come Dancing by the Kinks
- Forever by Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul
- Working Girl by the Members

Working Girl is on the best 80s compilation CD I own: MTV's Class of 1983 ...

Posted by: jaydee | July 21, 2006 10:25 AM | Report abuse