Posted at 10:44 AM ET, 07/14/2006

Bikini Tips, Wuss Rock and Harry Dean Stanton

By Liz Kelly

It's a muggy Friday in mid-July and a bit of a hush has come over the world of celebrities as they withdraw to pricey enclaves to lounge poolside, hide from the paparazzi, writhe on the sand, get in a little face time with loved ones and bond with same-sex friends.

Bikini ready Liz Hurley. (Getty Images)

Still, it's never too hot for a trio of celebrity-centric items to set the tone for the weekend.

Today's first item comes to us from one-time Powers girl Elizabeth Hurley, who recently launched her own line of swimsuits.

Liz Hurley's Bikini Tips
(Courtesy Sky Showbiz)

1. Choose the best shape: "There's a lid for every pot, as my grandmother says, " advises Hurley. "Almost everyone looks better with a slightly high-cut leg... Bandeau tops look great on most small busts whereas adjustable straps, often a halter neck, are better for bigger busts."

2. Prepare your holiday bod: "Don't turn up on holiday with hairy legs, white flaky skin, grown-out roots and chipped nails."

3. Sit-ups: For a week before holiday, Liz suggests doing as many as you can throughout the day, adding: "Resist all snacks and junk food."

4. The art of disguise: "Sarongs are the best thing ever for draping seductively round your bikini; you'll look great and will have craftily put your tummy, bottom and thighs into soft focus."

My bikini tip is much easier to remember: If you look like Liz Hurley, wear a bikini. If you look like Liz Kelly, stick with WholesomeWear.

Wuss Rock
(USA Today via PopWatch)
Second, we turn our attention to the world of music. Blender magazine has compiled a list of the world's Wussiest Rock Acts and the 16 Wussiest Songs Ever.

Blender's Wussiest Rockers
10. Hilary Duff
9. Chris Martin
8. Babyface
7. Rascal Flatts
6. Kenny G
5. Peter Cetera
4. Boyz II Men
3. Dan Folgelberg
2. Nick Lachey
1. James Taylor

I guess "American Idol" contestants didn't qualify.

Wussiest Songs
'N Sync/God Must Have Spent a Little More Time on You
Lionel Richie/Hello
Simon & Garfunkel/Scarborough Fair
Stevie Wonder/I Just Called to Say I Love You

Harry Dean Stanton. (AP)

This Day in History
Finally, today we celebrate a major milestone. Yes, yes, it's Bastille Day, but I'm talking about one Harry Dean Stanton's 80th birthday.

Most recently, Stanton turned in an Emmy-nominated performance as head polygamist Roman Grant on HBO's new drama "Big Love," but depending on your age you might remember him from "Pretty in Pink," "Repo Man," "Wild at Heart," "Red Dawn," "Paris, Texas," "Escape from New York," "Kelly's Heroes" or "Cool Hand Luke" -- to name just a few.

Plan your own Harry Dean Stanton film festival by perusing his full filmography from IMDB.

Read about how Harry still makes the Hollywood party scene, smokes like a chimney and obsesses over game shows in a recent Entertainment Weekly interview.

Watch for Stanton on the big screen soon in David Lynch's "Inland Empire," Nick Cassavetes' "Alpha Dog" and, of course, the second season of "Big Love," due in 2007.

By Liz Kelly  | July 14, 2006; 10:44 AM ET
Categories:  Miscellaneous
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: K-Fed Paid to Party
Next: Morning Mix: Aniston Hints at 'Friends' Reunion

Comments

I'm disappointed in the nomination of James Taylor as "wussiest" rocker -- at least he's dropped the F-bomb in a song or two! Ever heard the song Steamroller? The rest make sense, but Baby James doesn't -- especially not at the top of the list!

Posted by: Morgan Creek | July 14, 2006 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Lizzie, pretty sure Taylor still qualifies as an Idol contestant, no?

Posted by: CPS | July 14, 2006 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Ooh, wussy songs!

How 'bout:
"Open Arms" - Journey
"Right Here Waiting" - Richard Marx
"Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman" - Bryan Adams
"Lady in Red" - Chris DeBurgh

Posted by: Phil | July 14, 2006 11:15 AM | Report abuse

James Taylor??? I don't think I would consider him a wuss either.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 14, 2006 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Harry Dean Stanton also did an interesting cameo as Saul/Paul in 'The Last Temptation of Christ.' Check it out!

Posted by: Phil | July 14, 2006 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure Michael Bolton is supposed to be on that "Wussiest" list somewhere.

Posted by: therov | July 14, 2006 11:23 AM | Report abuse

For wussy rock, how about anything designated "emo"? I'm so sick of all these identical-sounding suburba-punkers who want to scream about their feelings. Do some heroin and throw a piano out your hotel window like a self-respecting rocker!

Posted by: jw | July 14, 2006 11:23 AM | Report abuse

For wussiest song, I would remove "Our House" from the list, the harmonies and CSNY are just too great to be wusses, I feel the same about James Taylor and Stevie Wonder, not wusses. Replace with "Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks, and "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro, the wussiest songs ever, if you ask me!

Posted by: CJB | July 14, 2006 11:45 AM | Report abuse

James Taylor used to be a junkie. That's not what I'd call wussy. Not very smart either, but hardly wussy.

Posted by: Works | July 14, 2006 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I don't know that I agree with the term "rock" for some of these - like Boyz II Men. THey never claimed to be rock.

Posted by: MD | July 14, 2006 12:26 PM | Report abuse

That's a silly list - most of those people don't pretend to be "rockers" anyway.

Posted by: logan | July 14, 2006 12:27 PM | Report abuse

How can most of the people on the Blender list even reotely be considered rockers? Babyface? Hilary Duff? I nominate John Mayer and Chris Carraba.

Posted by: Outraged | July 14, 2006 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I just wanted to tell you that this blog has become a must-read for me. Your comments are always hilarious! Keep up the good work!

Posted by: Rockville | July 14, 2006 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Chris Gaines. Worst rocker ever.

Posted by: athea | July 14, 2006 1:05 PM | Report abuse

How can you consider Boyz II Men, and Babyface as rockers. You lose points in my book for even including them on this list!!!

Posted by: DC | July 14, 2006 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Liz,

What's a 'wuss'?

Posted by: snoootty | July 14, 2006 2:26 PM | Report abuse

*A woman cannot be a wuss. I mean, if you're gonna use a playground word then you have to go by the rules of the playground.

*R&B acts can not be wusses. They may not rock, but the music is not supposed to rock (in general; there are some exceptions). I mean, some of Issac Hayes' lyrics would be really wussy in a rock song, but nobody would say he's a wuss, right?

*As mentioned, any wuss list that lacks Michael Bolton is incomplete. Also, what about Phil Collins? Just like with Journey, watch an old video and I'm sure you'll agree.

Posted by: mmy | July 14, 2006 2:28 PM | Report abuse

What? A list of all-time wuss rockers that doesn't even INCLUDE Journey? Travesty!

Their Behind-the-Music special a few years back hit 100% on the Unintentional Comedy Scale with all their members crying about the day that Steve was mean to Greg...

Posted by: proxl | July 14, 2006 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Not only did they leave off Michael Bolton, they left off Kenny G and Barry Manilow (Mannillow?). How can "Mandy" not be the wussiest song.

Posted by: Tiff | July 14, 2006 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Henry Gross. "Shannon." It's a song, sung in falsetto, about a dog that ran away. Can't get wussier than that.

Posted by: DC | July 14, 2006 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Harry Dean Stanton- first to meet (and regret it) the adult form of Alien as crewman Brett in Ridley Scott's original haunted house in outer space with Sigourney Weaver. "Heeeere kitty kitty,,,"

Posted by: kurosawaguy | July 14, 2006 4:52 PM | Report abuse

OKay, First, I think Rascal Flatts are Country, not "rockers" I mean, if we're going to have the wussiest musicians ever then 10 is not really adequate, and Rascal Flatts don't make that list either.

Second, Peter Frampton anyone? The Sgt. Pepper movie should have convinced everyone, including Peter himself that he's a wuss

And what about the BeeGees?? I don't consider them "rockers" but they seem to...so i think it's perfectly fair to put them at the top of list...(actually, perhaps the whole cast of the Sgt. Pepper movie should just be #1)?

Posted by: BB | July 16, 2006 7:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm more fascinated that we're still talking about Liz Hurley.

Consider:
Until recently, she was considered the most beautiful woman in the world. Really, she's still really hot.

And yet... guys are repelled by her. Consider...hugh grant. Went to an ugly hooker rather than be with her. Finally dumped her.

My point is that she must be the biggest PITA in the planet. And still is. She advises sit-ups for a week and to cut back on snacks... well Liz, of course, if you're already a model, then I guess that works. It doesn't actually work for people who are 30 pounds overweight and the only thing they do about sit-ups is when they get out of bed in the morniing.

I mean, why doesn't she give real advice "Uh, yes, well, you'll need to begin dieting about 6 months in advance. That means late october, you'll be starving yourself for the next 6 months, exercising like a demon, and giving up thanksgiving and xmas and maybe, just maybe, you'll look decent, provided you're not a tub of lard to begin with". That's actually *accurate* advice.

Posted by: Bradley | July 16, 2006 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Come on. The only people on this list who could be even remotely considered rockers are Chris Martin and Peter Cetera (and the latter only because of his association with Chicago -- although it could be argued that the group's rock legitimacy died when Terry Kath delivered himself a 9mm slug in the temple).

As for songs -- trying to come up with the top 16? It's like trying to find the 16 wussiest grains of sand on a beach.

What about Starland Vocal Band's "Afternoon Delight"? That's killing two "wussiest" birds -- song AND band name -- with one stone.

Posted by: Tim Ryland | July 18, 2006 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Tim,

You're wrong. Not a single "rocker" on the list.

Let me help you out...

Chuck Berry - Rocker
Hillary Duff - Not a Rocker
Nick Lachey - Off your Rocker

Hope that helps.

Posted by: Bradley | July 18, 2006 11:22 PM | Report abuse

How can you possibly call Peter Cetera a "wuss"? The man is an absolute legend, his voice is phenomenal. Long live Peter Cetera! He was and still remains the best thing about Chicago. His solo stuff is amazing too...

Posted by: Babak | July 24, 2006 11:42 AM | Report abuse