Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 07/ 6/2006

Celebritology 101: Mariah's Purple Passion

By Liz Kelly

Celebritology 101: Mariah's Purple Passion

Listen up, here's another for lesson Celebritology 101's growing syllabus:

Do not look to the stars for advice or guidance on politics, diet, exercise, money management, driving or realistic aging.

Mariah Carey before embarking on her purple foods regimen. (Getty Images)

Although some undoubtedly live sensible, exemplary lives (the ones you don't hear much about outside of press junkets), you can never be sure when a seemingly level-headed personality will detour into the land of the absurd. Absurdity can take the form of sitting in a tree for extended periods of time, penning self-help books, acting as one's own stylist and, as you'll read below, dispensing illogical dietary advice.

Mariah Carey, long considered a wit of some reknown acclaimed the world over for her demure outfits and scholarly bearing, has shaken my faith in her "smarts" by declaring that henceforth she will only eat purple food.

No, I'm not kidding. The recently re-invigorated diva says that foods like red grapes, beets and plums will prevent her from developing wrinkles.

While my first inclination is to dismiss her bizarro food-color logic immediately, I thought I'd seek the opinion of people who actually have degrees and years of experience backing up their nutrition advice (instead of hair extensions and carefully PhotoShopped images).

Artist's conception of potential side effects to Mariah after a few months of eating all purple foods. (Photo courtesy denisenickerson.com)

Fellow post.com food blogger and trained cook Kim O'Donnel says, "While it's true that blue and purple foods contain powerful antioxidants in the pigments of their skins, Miz Mariah should also know that all or nothing approach is a losing proposition."

O'Donnel advocates moderation in eating as in all things and suggests Carey get a copy of the "12 Best Foods Cookbook" by Dana Jacobi, which includes blueberries in a veritable rainbow of "superfoods" (black beans, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, salmon, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, chocolate, walnuts, soy and onions are the others).

Nutritionist Jennifer Reilly of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (which advocates a plant-based diet) agrees: "A single-colored diet is a limited one and I would encourage her to eat from the whole rainbow of food, and I'm not talking about Skittles."

Reilly says a plant-based diet would provide Carey with a satiating and nutritious way to meet her goals.

Pop quiz:

1. Who dispenses the best diet advice?
a. Nutrition experts
b. Mariah Carey
c. The vending machine in the hall.

2. What kind of "bow" do two out of two nutrition experts say my food should resemble?
a. A crossbow
b. A rainbow
c. Bowfinger

By Liz Kelly  | July 6, 2006; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Celebritology 101
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Swank Discusses Lowe's Drug Problems
Next: Morning Mix: Shannen Doherty to Co-Host 'The View'

Comments

How dare you pang Mariah Carey's gastronomy!

Everyone knows that Ms. Carey's IQ is 1/2 the square root of her artificially enhanced chest size.

Posted by: alberto.einstein | July 6, 2006 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Why inject Mariah's artificially enhanced chest into a discussion that revolves more around her intellect and cognitive skills? And why do you say "artificially enhanced" as if that's a bad thing?

Posted by: Stick | July 6, 2006 2:34 PM | Report abuse

"Extra Credit: First person to convince Carey that green, leafy vegetables are a powerful de-skankifier wins my undying gratitude."

Now that's FUNNY!

Posted by: SC | July 6, 2006 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I had a friend who only ate white foods for a while. Cream cheese on white bagels, mashed potatoes, rice, plain pasta and the like. Diets based on the color of food are weird.

Posted by: Spob | July 6, 2006 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Guys, gals and freaks...can't we all just hug a tree or something...no wait, that would get us locked up ! We'll just go back and look at MIMI a little longer...you're getting sleeeeppppyyyy...

Posted by: Frank fron Harrisonburg, VA | July 6, 2006 6:01 PM | Report abuse

green leafy veggies are RE-skankifying, not DE-skankifying. oh the horror -- apparently many have already suffered at the hands of your poor journalism. Paris, Nicole, other girls with low self esteem and high bank -- my deepest and most heartfelt apologies on behalf of Ms. Liz.

Posted by: ex cap girl | July 6, 2006 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Get real, This is a snow-job to cover up her blatant drug reference:"purple taking me higher..." in her hit single "It's like that" off her last albumn Emancipation of Mimi. (too many people figured out she was talking about laced marijuana called Purple Haze)

Posted by: Mikey | July 6, 2006 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Liz, when I read you comment, it showed to me why Maria is such a great celeb... she's just plain bats.

But I won't comment on that. To paraphrase Lincoln, your article on mariah far above our poor power to add or detract.

(for some of you guys posting, Lincoln was the president who saved the union and freed the slaves. Based on what I'm reading, my guess is you've never heard of him).

Posted by: Bradley | July 7, 2006 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Daniel Pearl's widow black? Angelina, I know you're good but...

Posted by: AnInconvenientTruth | July 13, 2006 11:03 AM | Report abuse