Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 07/18/2006

Dear Jen: Admit It Already

By Liz Kelly

Jen and her "great" friend Vince. (AP)

Dear Jen,

As my readers know, it's been some time since I've resorted to composing a public letter to a celebrity. It's kind of a contrived, goofy format and not nearly as funny or informative as I had hoped. Still, I think it's the best method of delivering for the following plea.

Stop playing dumb.

Maybe it worked for Rachel, but not for you, baby.

Since this letter is public, I'll just include what it is you've done to force me into writing this missive:

In an interview Monday on British TV, you again refused to directly characterize your relationship with "Break-Up" co-star Vince Vaughn. When asked, you went so far as to flippantly reply "Where did you hear that?" and praise him using three consecutive "greats": "Listen, he's a great man, he's a great friend, he's a great actor and so much fun."

Enough already. You're dating or you're not. In either case, both you and Vince have made the choice to live somewhat public lives and haven't been as discreet as you obviously think you have been.

You're an adult. Make your bed and lie in it. With whomever. But stop with the klutzy sidesteps, already.

P.S. Did you know James Michael Tyler (aka "Gunther") hasn't had an industry job since a 2005 "Scrubs" episode? Guess there actually was a post-"Friends" fate worse than "The Comeback."

By Liz Kelly  | July 18, 2006; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Carmen Electra, Dave Navarro Split
Next: Morning Mix: Anderson to Marry Kid Rock

Comments

Jen is the epitome of a whiny pampered star. The wonder isn't that Brad Pitt dumped her, it's a wonder he agreed to marry her in the first place.

And honestly, she is more cute than hot.

And when she plays all coy about whether she's dating a guy, it makes her seem like a 15 year old girl who doesn't want to admit she's going steady.

Trust me, that isn't hot. Not even a little. It's almost like she's a 35 year old Paris H.

And that is about as sexy as a dirty old sock. Yeah really.

Posted by: Bradley | July 18, 2006 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Oh, come on. Why pick on Jen? She has obviously taken more than her share of abuse over Brad and the constant tabloid attention. Who can blame her for wanting some degree of privacy. Considering the constant paparazzi, it would be harder for her and Vince to be any more discreet. Give her a break already.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2006 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Hey Liz, leave her alone, she doesn't have to do jack.

Posted by: J | July 18, 2006 11:31 AM | Report abuse

There is a post-"Friends" fate much worse than "The Comeback". Ever see, "Joey"? Of course you haven't.

Posted by: Woody | July 18, 2006 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I thought "The Comeback" was pretty funny.

Posted by: Daryl | July 18, 2006 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Give her a break? If you intentionally put yourself into the public square, don't complain when the press gets negative.

Posted by: Phil | July 18, 2006 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Dear Liz,

Get a life. Or would you prefer to have others dictate to you how you should live your life?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2006 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Who cares who she is seeing? Is it really any of your buisness? Just because she is on tv does not mean you need to know about every aspect of her personal life. Give these stars a break. Don't you have more important topics to cover like The war, or this god awful weather our region has experienced lately? And maybe she did not answer the question because she does not want people to know. It is no law against her wanting to keep to herself about SOMETHING! For God's sake, the media has already broadcasted enough of her private life with this whole Bragilna thing. Get a life and stop worrying about someone elses!!!!

Posted by: Michelle White | July 18, 2006 12:34 PM | Report abuse

It seems remarkable to me that so many folks are lured into reading Liz's blog by it's (apparently) misleading name of "Celebritology" and then find themselves subjected to a discussion of (surprise!) celebrities. Their indignation at this blatent bait and switch is completely understandable.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | July 18, 2006 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Nothing's sadder than a poster who comes to a CELEBRITOLOGY blog and rants in an overwrought fashion about someone dissecting the life of a CELEBRITY. Seriously. Defend Jen if you must, but don't attack someone for writing about her in a blog specifically designed to look at celebrity life. I mean, don't you have more important things to worry about, "like the war or this god awful weather we're having in this region," than defending some actress?

Posted by: law | July 18, 2006 12:46 PM | Report abuse

She is not being coy & sophomoric - she's just trying to keep her private life private. Anybody who has been through the demise of a marriage or a relationship knows how hard it is to live through in the eyes of one's associates and loved ones. Now imagine having to add the whole freaking world to this trauma. She's not asking for recognition of her personal life. She's asking to be judged on the body of her work. And for the people who say she's not attractive or hot - well everyone's entitled to an opinion butwhy is this even relevant? She doesn't put herself out there as a sex symbol/model/centerfold which are jobs where she would be expected to be judged solely on looks. She puts herself out there as an actress. If you don't like her work then don't go see it, but why care who she dates or doesn't date. I'm far more disturbed by celebrities who think people should care what they say or do simply because they're famous or a good actor.

Posted by: Laura | July 18, 2006 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Jen is not playing dumb; it's not an act. There really just isn't that much there.

Posted by: Henry | July 18, 2006 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I do have better things to do then defend a celebrity including responding to some stupid idiot just looking to post a comment about nothing. And I would write about the weather or the war if I was writing an article, but seeing how I am not, I will discuss what I choose to. This is a blog right? I can respond anyway I want. And to me, it is quite rediculous for you to bash someone on their opinion. Get a life looser. And on the defending an actress, she is not only an actress but a human being. So since you don't mind someone poking into someone else's life, let's hear about yours. And maybe tomorrow there will be a blog for wanna be celebrities and you will head line it. :)

Posted by: Michelle White | July 18, 2006 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"And to me, it is quite rediculous for you to bash someone on their opinion."

Hmm...you're right. I will no longer bash someone for providing their opinion in a blog, presuming you extend the same courtesy to the writer of this blog. Unless you don't consider "Get a life" (a phrase you're fond of) as bashing. I'd write more but I'm off to a convention for celebrity wannabes. Should be a good time.

Posted by: law | July 18, 2006 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Just because its not the answer you want to hear doesn't mean she is lying

Posted by: so | July 18, 2006 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I hope you have fun at your wanna be convention, and just for the record, celebritolgy is an article that the writer chose to write about and got paid for. He or she I am sure is use to critisism and to me you are protecting the writer the same way I did for the Actress. :) Think about it.

Posted by: Michelle White | July 18, 2006 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Just to clear up one misconception above, Jen is both cute and hot. And yes, "Joey" was far worse than "The Comeback", which was at least intended to be painful to watch.

Posted by: sj | July 18, 2006 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Dang! Where is Che when you need him? There's the war thing Michelle wants!

Posted by: Stick | July 18, 2006 1:36 PM | Report abuse

"Don't you have more important topics to cover like The war, or this god awful weather our region has experienced lately?"

Bingo. Look, I know this is a celeb blog, but anyone who is bored enough to be worried about this while a near-world war is starting up needs to find new hobbies.

Posted by: ThisShallowWorld | July 18, 2006 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Thanks guys, glad to know someone else finds this topic rediculous. :)

Posted by: Michelle White | July 18, 2006 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I love it when celebrities and other well-known individuals make details of their personal life harder to obtain. You think they're gonna call you up and tell you who they're dating and what games they're playing? Just because they're in the public square doesn't mean they have to summarily submit to your every inquery. You gotta work hard for those details.

Posted by: Greg | July 18, 2006 2:03 PM | Report abuse

For the most part, she is a crummy actress. I think her keeping mum has more to do with getting press than it has to do with her being private. How many interviews has the woman given in the past year? ugh! Her dating denials get her on the front page of People, etc. so she gets just as much publicity as Brangelina.

Posted by: Liz R | July 18, 2006 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Near-world war? World War I was a world war. World War II was a world war. What we got now isn't even close.

Human history has never seen a completely war-free world. Life doesn't stop because people halfway around the world pick up arms and try to kill each other. It's one thing when an attack on the homeland suspends life as usual, as it did on 9/11. But it's arrogant and unreasonable to expect people not directly affected by every single conflict around the world to stop what they're doing and feel sorry for them while beating themselves up for not caring -- as if that would help the unfortunate folks in the Middle East anyway. If it did, our society would be pretty dismal. The frivolous balances out the serious.

Personally, I only recently discovered this blog, and I think it's great. Keep the real-world distractions coming, Liz!

Posted by: Phil | July 18, 2006 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Yikes, I didn't realize things were so "all or nothing." I don't think anyone here would claim to be "worried" about Jen's situation. I confess it's not keeping me up at night, tossing and turning, wondering if she'll finally confess to her Vince love. I think most of us would call it an entertaining diversion. The thing that keeps me tossing and turning at night is worrying about the state of the world. Amusing myself with shallow "hobbies" like reading celebrity gossip is what makes it all a bit more bearable. Now that my allotted "fun" time is up, I'll go back to fretting about the state of the world.

Posted by: Mika | July 18, 2006 2:06 PM | Report abuse

They're probably just FWB; but she doesn't want to admit it as that would make her seem, well, shallow or something.

Posted by: Stick | July 18, 2006 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Friends with Benefits is not so bad. I mean everyone has had a one night stand or something to that nature. I think celebrities should have them too without having to be the top of the news. :) I say go get it Jen. Brad did!

Posted by: Michelle White | July 18, 2006 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh my. Can't we all just get along?

Maybe I should unban Che.

Posted by: Liz | July 18, 2006 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Dissing on James Michael Tyler is kind of a low blow. It's not as if dood was an "A" lister before Friends.

And dissing on the Comeback? The show was well written and awesome, it just didn't have viewers. Being on a crappy show like JOEY would have been a fate worse than death though. Just ask Drea De Matteo...

Posted by: Ep Sato | July 18, 2006 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Actually, it is quite refreshing that she *isn't* talking about it. If she admitted it, there would be so much publicity that the people harping on her for not admitting it would instantly be all over her. Thank you, Jen, for sparing us.

Posted by: mirm | July 18, 2006 2:53 PM | Report abuse

no michelle you are 'rediculous' and obviously a woman of ill reput to some degree...

not everyone has had a one night stand...

Posted by: mighty! | July 18, 2006 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Who's Che?

Posted by: Phil | July 18, 2006 3:08 PM | Report abuse

If you would of read my comment in it's entirety you would of seen that I said a one night stand or something to that nature. And if that makes me rediculous "so be it". I think you just wanted to comment on something and I was an easy target. :) There were several other issues at hand that you could of commented about.
And FYI- I have never had a one night stand either, so there for your ill reput. Do you even know what that means? I laugh out loud at you and your silly comment.

Posted by: Michelle White | July 18, 2006 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Who uses the term "dating" anymore? I haven't heard "dating" in ages. It sounds so Jr. High.

If you read the Washington Post, you will find that about a month or so ago, there was an article about how no one uses this word anymore.

Posted by: Tykoto | July 18, 2006 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Michelle White. Never had a one night stand? well, I'll offer . . . . , oh why be so predictable. Nevermind.

Posted by: Stick | July 18, 2006 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Disagree with your assessment of what Jen's doing. I think she's playing a game with the press, but not the one you do, namely that she doesn't think her personal life is any of their business and so she chooses to give inane answers to their tired old questions.

Posted by: ckf | July 18, 2006 4:01 PM | Report abuse

"she chooses to give inane answers to their tired old questions"

That's a best case scenario.

More than likely, she thinks she's being clever. She isn't a bright girl. For some reason she decided that an 8th grade education was more than enough for someone with decent looks and that was, unfortunately, all she wrote.

Although if she were to appear in some shots in Hef's magazine, I'd confess I'd look.

Anyway, just to finish this off, let me give you her film list. Other than friends, tell me her magnum opus:

# The Break-Up (2006)
# Friends with Money (2006)
# Rumor Has It... (2005)
# Derailed (2005)
# Along Came Polly (2004)
# Bruce Almighty (2003)
# The Good Girl (2002)
# Rock Star (2001) .... Emily Poule
# The Iron Giant (1999) (voice)
# Office Space (1999)
# The Object of My Affection (1998)
# The Thin Pink Line (1998)
# 'Til There Was You (1997)
# Picture Perfect (1997)
# She's the One (1996)
# Dream for an Insomniac (1996)
# Leprechaun (1993)
# "Quantum Leap"
# "Ferris Bueller"

My vote is for Ferris Bueller, but who knew she was in that one?

I guess the secret to success is to be in the right place at the right time.

Posted by: Binkly | July 18, 2006 4:12 PM | Report abuse

No Liz! Don't unban Che!!!!!
Personally, Jen is more interesting than Angelina anyway.....

Posted by: Che is annoying | July 18, 2006 4:12 PM | Report abuse

"she chooses to give inane answers to their tired old questions"

That's a best case scenario.

The Break-Up (2006)
Friends with Money (2006)
Rumor Has It... (2005)
Derailed (2005)
Along Came Polly (2004)
Bruce Almighty (2003)
The Good Girl (2002)
Rock Star (2001) .... Emily Poule
The Iron Giant (1999) (voice)
Office Space (1999)
The Object of My Affection (1998)
The Thin Pink Line (1998)
'Til There Was You (1997)
Picture Perfect (1997)
She's the One (1996)
Dream for an Insomniac (1996)
Leprechaun (1993)
"Quantum Leap"
"Ferris Bueller"

My vote is for Ferris Bueller, but who knew she was in that one?

I guess the secret to success is to be in the right place at the right time.

Posted by: Binkly | July 18, 2006 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I find it refreshing that they do NOT flaunt, or even discuss, their relationship. I am so sick of Angelina and Brad that I could barf-- and don't even get me started on Tom and Katie.

Posted by: Rockville | July 18, 2006 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I feel sorry for people who meet with success in an artistic endeavor. The next thing they know a bunch of snoopy, catty, vicarious-experience-craving dorks are hounding them for every last detail of their private lives.

Personally, I think its great that Aniston has managed to get people like Liz's panties in a wad. If Aniston's "klutzy sidesteps" will continue to make Liz and her parasitic, paparazzi ilk all flustered and indignant, I'd encourage Jen to sidestep all the way to the bank, which will continue to cash her checks no matter HOW disgruntled a few snarky blogsters get.

Plus, she'll get the added satisfaction of knowing that gossip columnists like Liz are so distraught over her non-answers that they "resort" to a "contrived, goofy format...not nearly as funny or informative as [they] had hoped." Awesome.

Posted by: o-m | July 18, 2006 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Did she really only go to 8th grade? That would explain a lot, my apologies.

I really don't understand the fascination with the private lives of celebrities. Even more confusing is why people solicit their opinions on national and world politics.

The ablility to act seldom connotes intelligence. In most cases it is a developed skill like playing football or typing; some can do it, some can't. Intelligence is not a prerequisite and true talent is a rare commodity.

In this case even the ability to act is in question. No one would argue that she was cast in Friends for anything other than her looks, which IMHO are not spectacular due to the cold, stiff, and ditzy demeanor that she cannot escape, either in interviews or in any role that she plays.

P.S. I didn't know that Washington Post readers cared about this crap. It's a welcome relief from reading about how badly we are screwing up the world.

Posted by: Henry | July 18, 2006 4:50 PM | Report abuse

A post-friends fate worse than Gunther. That would be your job, Liz. Get a life. This "letter" is pathetic.

Posted by: Kris | July 18, 2006 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Liz, please reprint your warning that we don't want to hear from people if all they have to say is "who cares, get a life."

p.s. Can we add spell-check to this thing? It's rediculous...

Posted by: make it stop! | July 18, 2006 5:25 PM | Report abuse

It continues to boggle the mind whey people attempt to become superstars and then they still want their private life private. For $20 million a picture. Suck it up! If it wasn't for your fans, you wouldn't make a nickle.

Posted by: sarah | July 18, 2006 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Jen has "stupid" money in the bank from her "Friends" days. Remember those guys were making 7 figures *PER EPISODE*.

So cry me a river. Poor Jen, so rich, and she wants a personal life.

If you want to keep things private, then why would you appear on talk shows to tell people you're not talking about it?

Honestly, are you people dense about this?

Posted by: Bradley | July 18, 2006 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Jen Anniston is the ugliest star Hollywood has ever produced and age is certainly not on her side. yuck!! What is Vince thinking?!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 19, 2006 3:13 AM | Report abuse

Please stop! Those of you who cannot spell, please stop writing. It makes my teeth hurt to read what you have to say. Those of you who lack a sense of levity, please stop writing. You're making my eyeballs want to flip over in their sockets.

Yes, the world is going to hell in a hand-basket. For those of us who really care and work on these issues in their real life (um, yes, this includes me), this blog is one of the few things that provide us with life's necessary fuel: humor.

If you don't like this blog, you have the wonderful option to leave.

Posted by: deva | July 19, 2006 11:34 AM | Report abuse

James Michael Tyler was in the lost "Nobody's Watching" pilot that you can find on YouTube. Granted, he was playing himself.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 19, 2006 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

Posted by: Hayden | July 19, 2006 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Liz Get a life, Jen doesn't owe you or anyone else an answer. She's a grown woman who makes more than anyone in here. She can do what she wants as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: girlone | July 20, 2006 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Well, thank heavens it's over:

"She can do what she wants as far as I'm concerned."

As long as it's over "as far as [you're] concerned", then it's for sure over.

I didn't realize you had made the decision. Now we can stop talking about Jen.

Um.... What was her last name again?

Posted by: Bradley | July 20, 2006 2:54 PM | Report abuse

"The Good Girl" was a good movie, with good acting by Anniston.

Posted by: sj | July 22, 2006 2:26 PM | Report abuse