Posted at 10:30 AM ET, 07/28/2006

Let Beyonce Have Her Day

By

Let's admit that this petition movement by so-called "fans" demanding a re-shoot of the "Deja Vu" video is a bit much. I've now decided to jump on the leave-the-video-alone bandwagon with the rest of her true fans. I mean really, cut the sista a break. Let the video run as is!

Despite what some folks say, I am digging Beyonce's new single "Deja Vu," the first cut from her soon-to-be released sophomore album entitled B'Day. I admit it's not perfect. The lyrics don't exactly jibe with the title. Per dictionary.com, deja vu means "an impression of having seen or experienced something before" and Beyonce seems to be singing about obsession, "an unhealthy and compulsive preoccupation with something or someone."

Yes, people, yes, the "Deja Vu" video may resemble her "Crazy In Love" video and her "Baby Boy" video and pretty much every other video and live performance she's done to date. But that doesn't make the video bad. That makes it reminiscent of something you have seen or experienced before. Like deja vu. See the connection?

All I know is that whenever I'm five seconds away from jabbing a pencil in my eye, I can find Beyonce on TV, shimmying around with hair flinging to and fro and winning me back with (what I like to call) a club hoppa.

(Random but obligatory Suri Holmes-Cruise reference: why did she have to be born on MY birthday? Ugh.)

Tanya Ballard, who frequently shimmies around the newsroom flinging hair to and fro, manages longterm projects for washingtonpost.com.

By  | July 28, 2006; 10:30 AM ET
Categories:  Extreme Fans
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning News Mix: Justin Backs Lance
Next: MELtdown: Gibson's Anti-Semitic Tirade

Comments

I'm old enough to be Beyonce's mother, but I'm a chump for bumping bubble-gum music. I don't listen for lyrics much because I don't have time to sit still and decipher the words through the loud music, but when I'm in mood to bust a move or two, Beyonce's on my list. I think people spend way too much time critiquing stuff that will only last a minute or two before we're off to the next big thing.

Posted by: Jackie Jones | July 28, 2006 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I totally agree that they should leave the video as is. What is there to change its "B" thats how she does.

Posted by: Michelle | July 28, 2006 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I agree about the lyrics, but people should stop putting so much effort into blasting a video. Listen to the music and bob your head. B does her thing.

Posted by: Ambre | July 28, 2006 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Well, I still can't understand how a Christian girl can be so... lewd with her dancing, and I can't stand that Pepto-Pink "Check Up On In" video, but "Deja Vu," it's cool.

Yes, it's clear that neither she nor any of the writers (or producers) actually know what deja vu is, but whatever. It's music, she's not cussing or thugging.

It's just entertainment!

Posted by: Lisa | July 28, 2006 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Who cares! Beyonce is a very talented singer who made her mark by shaking her booty! When we are listening to a Beyonce video we really don't expect it to make a political statement or to make some great lyrical clarity, we just wanna dance. When I am listening to India.Arie or Stevie Wonder than I expect to have lyrical clarity and be moved politically. Go Figure!

Posted by: mydchomegirl | July 28, 2006 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I like the video. Beyonce is fab.
Why don't people complain or start a campaign against Lil Jon or any other artist who have women bending over showing all their business. People focus on the wrong things.

Posted by: Ladybug | July 28, 2006 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I say leave it alone she is doing what she feels. I agree just bob your head and enjoy.

Posted by: chery | July 28, 2006 12:02 PM | Report abuse

The first time I saw the Deja Vu video, at least the first segment where Beyonce is sitting, posing and singing, I was thinking this is a typical production. But then it got kind of interesting with the Jay-Z segment adding some sexual tension. However, that last segment where Beyonce is dancing by herself is just flat out Crazy Sexy!! Unlike other videos of this genre, where the star is surrounded by back-up dancers, Beyonce gives a clear demonstration of verve and charisma and the ability to carry a tune, or in this case a video, by herself. If you use a sports analogy, this video would be like the game when Kobe Bryant scored 70 points. While the Deja Vu video may be similar to other Beyonce videos, it is clearly on another level.

Posted by: Slim | July 28, 2006 12:05 PM | Report abuse

A petition? For a music video? Whatever! The music industry isn't a democracy, people.

Posted by: honeysmoke | July 28, 2006 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Ladybug. Or how about a campaign against the rappers with misogynistic lyrics? But we don't want to go there.

Posted by: Monica | July 28, 2006 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't watch videos if women weren't showing their business. If there's nothing to look at, I'd just listen to the radio.

Posted by: Jimmy | July 28, 2006 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I think Tanya's workload may be a bit too light...recommendation: less shimmie-ing, more work-ing

Posted by: DC | July 28, 2006 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I've never watched musical videos, but from the comments made by my brothers and some others about her music and videos Beyonce's are beyond ok. Keep up the shimming Tanya!

Posted by: Jay-Bee | July 28, 2006 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm just tired of the same ol', same ol' with Beyonce. The song is Deja Vu because she's already done it!!! I need her to stop shaking her ass, get off the floor at live performances like the one at the BET awards and do something different. She's growing up but her music is starting to sound stagnate. Hopefully the rest of the CD offers some fresh alternatives. I'll have to get the bootleg to find out.

Posted by: Breea | July 28, 2006 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm really tired of that stale looking weave she wears. It looks all dried out. I like B, but that song sucks soooo bad and the video sucks right along with it. B is going to lose out to all these new girls coming in the music industry if she doesn't change it up.

Posted by: justme | July 28, 2006 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I could care less about Beyonce. However, I do appreciate Tanya B. Her work is truly marvelous and it inspires me. Keep up the great work!!!!!

Posted by: C.W. | July 28, 2006 11:44 PM | Report abuse

I like the song but I don't much care for the video. It looks like she's having a "conniption fit" in the video. I think petitioning Beyonce to reshoot her video is a waste. There are good vid's and bad ones. She'll do a better one next time. The song is not "mainstream" and has an old school feel to it but I like it.

Oh and Tanya. Keep on shakin' it like yo momma made it. I could use some of that where I work.

Posted by: Avery | July 29, 2006 7:59 AM | Report abuse

I am still listening to Crazy in Love. It's a much better version of her love/ obsession with a man. It makes me dance and it's been out long enough for me to learn the words. Other than that she's a beautiful girl with a great voice. However, if the lyrics to either song truely represent her feeling about a man, she needs help.

Posted by: Shelia A | July 29, 2006 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Listen-- I was there when the petition began. Although the author really didn't care for the video? It was a joke, y'all. No one actually expected it to have any serious impact. I think it would be pretty hilarious if they DID reshoot the video based on an internet petition. But please, don't anyone get on your high horse about it.

Posted by: Michelle | July 29, 2006 12:13 PM | Report abuse

The main problem ladies and gentlemen:

THE SONG SUCKS

That needed to be said and it needs to be understood. No video, no reshoot, nothing will fix this song.

THIS SONG IS THE HINDENBERG OF MUSIC AND THIS VIDEO IS JUST LAKEHURST NJ.

Everything else is just whining.

Posted by: Bunkley | July 30, 2006 5:09 AM | Report abuse

The more we talk about it, the more attention we give it, the more albums Beyonce will sell. Stop Hating.

Remember - The controversy when Barber Shop was released about the comedic line about Rosa Parks? All of that energy for what? So that the movie can earn even more big $$$.

Posted by: Sweetpee | July 31, 2006 4:06 PM | Report abuse

It figures I wouldn't really start feeling Beyonce until she started falling off. Although she is still too materialistic for my taste and many of her lyrics are inane, her foray into temporary insanity is wildly compelling to me. The fact that she even has all of this anger pent-up inside of her and is unafraid to release it is so promising.

She's having the same "traumatized glamour girl" breakdown/breakthrough that I had during my first year at NYU (which coincided with the Sept. 11 attacks). Like Beyonce, my fashion choices and my career were the first casualties. But I had all of this fear and rage that had to be expressed. And I'm glad I did.

I won't speculate on the cause of Beyonce's breakdown/breakthrough for fear it will be much more shallow than I can bear. I don't want to lose all of my newfound respect for her. Bless her heart, it seems like she's even going for the gothic eyes with her dark makeup. I like her so much more now.

As far as the petition goes, I think they're a valid way for confused fans to express themselves as well. I think it started off as a joke, then it turned into more of a message (comedy) board for people to dis the video. B gets to scream on the track, I guess the listeners and viewers needed some way to vent as well. People who say the petitioners need to just leave the artist alone if they're displeased, should take their own advice. If you don't agree with the petition, leave that alone as well. You should try not to think about it, and certainly don't sign it.

In this world you gotta do you. And more importantly, you somehow have to live and let live. We need to stop trying to control each other. It doesn't seem to work and it is such a waste of time and energy. I did NOT understand what B was doing at first. I may never understand. But I am most DEFINITELY entertained! And I appreciate all of her hard work!

Posted by: Warrior | August 23, 2006 1:14 AM | Report abuse