Posted at 1:19 PM ET, 08/14/2006

Boy George, Garbage Man

By Liz Kelly

Boy George performs his court-ordered community service today in New York City. The singer was sentenced to five days working for the New York Dept. of Sanitation after falsely reporting a burglary at his Manhattan apartment, where police found a quantity of cocaine. (Getty Images)

By Liz Kelly  | August 14, 2006; 1:19 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Comment Box: Screech, SPF and Six More Weeks of Celibacy
Next: Morning Mix: Kate Hudson, Chris Robinson Split

Comments

Did you read about his suggested alternatives to trash-picking?

From the AP: "He petitioned to spend the time helping teenagers make a public service announcement. Among his other proposals to the court: holding a fashion and makeup workshop, serving as a DJ at an HIV/AIDS benefit or doing telephone outreach."

Glad he got sanitation duty.

Posted by: Phil | August 14, 2006 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I remember Boy George from the 1980s. I really enjoyed his music and his outrageous eye catching appearance. I hope that this talented human being is able to rise beyond this experience and once again share his enormous talent with the world.

Good luck!

Benin (Beni) Dakar
Duluth, GA

Posted by: Benin | August 14, 2006 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Good luck!

Benin (Beni) Dakar
Duluth, GA

Posted by: Benin "Beni" Dakar | August 14, 2006 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Good luck!

Benin (Beni) Dakar
Duluth, GA

Posted by: Benin "Beni" Dakar | August 14, 2006 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Is he wearing a prison uniform? Please don't tell me he picked that out himself, unless he's still high...

Posted by: miss belle | August 14, 2006 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Looks like one of those brightly colored vests municipal workers wear when they are on the job on the street.

Posted by: Phil | August 14, 2006 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Another site described his pants as "Manpris"...

Posted by: Liz | August 15, 2006 8:22 AM | Report abuse

I guess I just don't understand the big hullaballoo over this. I mean, you're talking about a way Has Been celebrity who got in trouble for a stupid but not dangerous to other people crime doing a relatively easy five days. Who cares?

Posted by: M.A. | August 15, 2006 8:43 AM | Report abuse