Posted at 8:53 AM ET, 08/25/2006

Morning Mix: Cruise Camp Fires Back at Paramount

By Liz Kelly

Headlines: Cruise camp fires back at Paramount; how involved was Redstone's wife in decision?; Matt Lauer defends Tom... William H. Macy chides Lindsay Lohan for lateness... Joan Rivers to score 1,000th interview during Emmy pre-show... Disney issues most idiotic press release ever... Taylor Hicks sues ex-producer to prevent song release... Linda Rondstadt cancels tour after surgery... Jamaican bank releases Bob Marley coins.

Rumor Mill: Mel Gibson making apology calls?... Paris Hilton dropped from phone service for "hacking" Lindsay Lohan's account; Lohan hoping to create eponymous perfume... Model Amber Valletta in rehab... Tween singer claims J.Lo is pregnant (How does he know? He's dating Katie Cassidy, who is now attached to "Dallas" which, as you'll recall, J.Lo dropped out of because of John Travolta's lack of, umm, manliness. Oh, and Katie is "I think I Love You's" daughter).

Bonus: Christian Slater and Winona Ryder reunite for "Heathers" sequel.

By Liz Kelly  | August 25, 2006; 8:53 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Survivor's' Dis-Integration
Next: Morning Mix: Remove 'Sexist' from the Cruise-Bashing Arsenal

Comments

Ok, I love celebrity gossip and stuff, but who in the hell is jesse mccartney??? And why should we care about him?

On a side note: Mamas, don't let your children grow up to be Scientologists

Posted by: McLean | August 25, 2006 9:35 AM | Report abuse

"Fields added, 'That a mogul like Sumner Redstone could make a statement so vicious, so pompous, so petulant as that he didn't want to make a deal with Tom Cruise because of his personal conduct - it tells you more about Sumner Redstone and Viacom than about Tom Cruise.' "

The NERVE... Doesn't he know how much money Tom Cruise makes for Paramount??? He's going to cut him lose because of a stupid little thing like poor personal conduct that borders on insanity? Redstone has no morals...

Posted by: Five | August 25, 2006 9:37 AM | Report abuse

jesse mccartney played that surfer kid in the series Summerland.

Third from left in black T.

Posted by: omni | August 25, 2006 10:04 AM | Report abuse

You just made my month - a "Heathers" sequel - I just squealed with delight at my desk!

Posted by: Conn Ave | August 25, 2006 10:15 AM | Report abuse

It's just like Paramount to fire a star over minor peccadillos. First Fatty Arbuckle and now Tom Cruise.

Posted by: Egregious | August 25, 2006 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Frankly, I never understood the whole Tom Cruise thing. He's not that goodlooking (IMHO), not that great of an actor, and certainly no rocket scientologist.

Also, I don't think the studio was making as much money off of Cruise as Cruise was making off of his movies. I heard on an early morning talk show that Paramount might have made $15 million on MI3 while Cruise made around $80 million. Get me his agent. Show me the money!

I'm tired of Tomkat, Brangelina, and all the shenanigans of today's celebrities. Boring!

I feel so much better now!

Posted by: pnina | August 25, 2006 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Your reference to the Disney news release as "idiotic" is evidence that, alas, you have already "jumped the shark." The release CLEARLY was TONGUE-IN-CHEEK. In fact, it showed that the Disney corporation has a sense of humor and is even willing to have a little fun AT ITS OWN EXPENSE.

It's one thing to be deliberately snarky. It's another thing to be dense. Put a fork in the blog, Liz; it's done.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2006 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I love the last line in the Macy/Lohan story:

"Macy, who has starred in films including Fargo and The Cooler, also defended his Magnolia costar Tom Cruise - recently bashed for his own behavior - as 'not late.'"

Now THAT'S tongue-in-cheek!

Posted by: The Cosmic Avenger | August 25, 2006 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Actually, tongue-in-cheek and idiotic are not mutually exclusive. It was both, and since it came from Disney, I would add that it's also a tad irritating. Anonymous, I'd advise you to remain that way. Thank God someone's here to stick up for li'l ol' Disney and their lovable characters and executives. Unless your post was tongue-in-cheek.

Posted by: Ttlsccr | August 25, 2006 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Joan Rivers is doing her 1,000th interview? Thought it was closer to 10,000. And I haven't seen ANY of them.

Posted by: Phil | August 25, 2006 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I for one think the Disney press release was cute. It was just having a little fun with a current event. Just read it and smile!! :-)

Posted by: bored at DOT | August 25, 2006 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Blah blah blah.

What a boring news day.

Posted by: Bored | August 25, 2006 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Didn't JD, Christian Slater's character,explode in Heathers?

Posted by: Tico | August 25, 2006 2:52 PM | Report abuse

What bad behavior? You mean because he jumped on a couch and voice his opinion which he is entitled to - it's considered bad behavior? Please give me a break, all the disgusting things people do out here like pediphiles, rapists, murderers and GOD knows what else, Tom C. is crucified? People get a life.

Posted by: rrashad | August 25, 2006 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. At the end of the original "Heathers", JD was deader than the careers of Ryder and Slater combined.
So that should be...interesting.

Posted by: Dime | August 25, 2006 7:02 PM | Report abuse