Posted at 8:45 AM ET, 08/ 9/2006

Morning Mix: MTV Curse Claims The Barkers

By Liz Kelly

Headlines: The Barkers become latest MTV reality show couple to split... In other MTV splitsville news, Laguna Beach's Kristin Cavallari breaks up with boyfriend Brody Jenner, Lauren "L.C." Conrad and Jason Wahler are, like, so over, too... Authorities won't release tapes of Mel Gibson arrest...Madonna crashes Rome wedding... Bryce Dallas Howard ("Lady in the Water") expecting first child... McCartneys hire Charles and Diana divorce lawyers... Bruce Willis sues former friend for alleged extortion... HBO signs on for sixth season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm."

Rumor Mill: Photos of Suri Cruise "coming soon"... Dave Navarro, Jenna Jameson dating... Tabloid alleges drinking is least of Gibson's problems... Britney wants to work with Charlie Sheen on children's clothing line... Colin Farrell only has "half a baguette in his lunchbox" (Hunh? What about Lunchables?)... OutKast deny breakup rumors.

P.S. I'm starting to doubt the relative sanity of the "Rockstar: Supernova" judges. After Gilby, Tommy and Jason all praised last night's cringe-inducing performance of "Won't Get Fooled Again" by Dilana, I'm beginning to think that maybe rich musicians are not necessarily possessed of taste, functional hearing or integrity. Oh, and though I was previously pulling for dark horse Zayra, she crossed the line last night when she mercilessly ripped the heart out of Bowie's "All the Young Dudes."

By Liz Kelly  | August 9, 2006; 8:45 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Aging Action Heroes: The Perfect Vintage
Next: Celebritology 101: Lindsay Lohan & the Celebrity Spin Machine

Comments

Come on, Liz, at what point did Rockstar have any credibility? the moment those guys signed up to do that show (three superstars can't find their own damn lead singer?) they lost credibility. everything that follows is just pure entertainment.

Posted by: FD | August 9, 2006 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of RockStar: Way to go Dave Navarro. Just when you thought it wasn't possible -- upgrade! (Guess who's having the Best Week Ever? )

Way to go, you effeminate little goth dude!

Posted by: Party of One | August 9, 2006 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Rockstar:
I changed the channel when I saw Jill's bike shorts, came back briefly to see Zarya in gold lame' spandex (you can pronounce it lame for this post) and clicked away immedately, came back and saw some weirdness with a hood and a wig on the outside and clicked away as fast as I could, then Stormie started to ruin a Queen song, and I never clicked back. I agree, once this show was CREATED everyone involved, save the contestants, lost credibility.
That said, Dilana will win! Yay!

Posted by: miss belle | August 9, 2006 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Also, re: MTV marriage curse, I think MTV shouldthink about a new show, a la Real World, where young people (over 21!) can marry their fave celeb. Since there is this curse, it's a win/win for all involved: I get 6 months to a year with Mr. SexyBack, he gets the publicity and goodwill for marrying a "regular" person, and everyone will know that we would never last, making it easier for [Ugly] Cameron to handle the brief loss of her Youth Totem.

Posted by: miss belle | August 9, 2006 2:34 PM | Report abuse

If this curse works so well, I have one point: Didn't Chaotic also air on MTV? Or was that VH1 (I know it started on UPN)?!? Either way, I think the next MTV couple should be Britney and K-Fed. The series will tank worse than Chaotic (though viewers will tune in to hear a stoned Britney recite Blake poetry while chomping through some Cheetos), but at least we'll know some good will come out of it.

Posted by: Mason Patriot | August 9, 2006 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Tom and Katie need more time to find a baby to pose as Suri.

Posted by: Phil | August 9, 2006 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Dave Navarro and Jenna Jamison are a match made in HELL, they deserve one another, let's see who can give whom the first case of STD. As for Mel Gibson, who out there has not made a mistake like he did? Get off his back and get off your high horse, let he who is without sin cast the first stone...

Posted by: Andi In Houston | August 9, 2006 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Um.. I've made mistakes, but I haven't driven drunk and made racist comments to police officers. So I guess I'm going to remain on my high horse, thank you.

Posted by: Fellow Houstonite | August 10, 2006 10:34 AM | Report abuse