Posted at 3:20 PM ET, 08/ 9/2006

Robin Williams in Rehab

By Liz Kelly

Williams in April. (AP)

A quick afternoon update: Robin Williams' publicist released a statement this afternoon saying the 55-year-old actor/comedian is seeking treatment for alcohol abuse. The statement added that Williams had been sober for 20 years, but recently relapsed. Read the full story here.

Read up on Williams' life and filmography.

By Liz Kelly  | August 9, 2006; 3:20 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Celebritology 101: Lindsay Lohan & the Celebrity Spin Machine
Next: Aniston, Vaughn Deny Engagement Rumors

Comments

I live in San Francisco, and it seems like maybe a year ago (yeah, like last summer) some folks started telling me that they'd seen Robin Williams at posh wine bars. Nothing exciting, no drunken arrests or hate-speech or feeling up wait-staff, and therefore easily forgotten. Until now. Sorry to hear that he's in rehab, but since we all know his history of substance abuse, we all also know that people like him usually can't keep it to one glass of wine for long...

Posted by: miss belle | August 9, 2006 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Not one of my favorite actors, but good luck to him anyway, and I hope he gets the help he needs.

Posted by: Phil | August 9, 2006 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Miss Belle, you have no clue about alcoholism and what it is like to struggle everyday of your life with it. Otherwise you probably wouldn't have made such a crass and insensitive comment.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 9, 2006 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry if my comments came off as crass and/or insensitve, but I DO have intimate knowledge of the lives of alcoholics (runs long and deep in my fam). One thing I know for sure is that it's different for everyone... and I stand by what I said. Relax, anonymous writer!

Posted by: miss belle | August 9, 2006 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Miss belle--I'm a recovering alcoholic, and I think your comment was just fine. It was certainly accurate. You weren't crass or insensitive in my opinion.

Posted by: Lisa | August 9, 2006 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Miss Belle, your comment was fine, but "people like him" comes off the wrong way, I think. Sounds a bit judgemental, although it's clear from context that you don't intend it to be.

Posted by: AMH | August 9, 2006 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Boy, we sure don't want to sound "judgmental." Robin's a drunk, a doper and a lout--bless his heart.

Posted by: mart | August 10, 2006 9:30 AM | Report abuse

You folks have waaaay to much time on your hands to be snapping at one another this way. Are things slow at the sheltered workshop? What time does the little yellow bus come to pick you up?

Posted by: casual observer | August 10, 2006 1:31 PM | Report abuse

It sure seems you've got enough time on your hands to be participating in the conversation.

Pot, meet kettle.

Posted by: To Casual | August 10, 2006 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Oh Dearie what Star doesn't have some Major issues in Hollywood? Is this what Hollywood life will be for me? With parents like Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes I'm worried oh so worried...

Posted by: Suri | August 23, 2006 1:41 AM | Report abuse