Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 09/22/2006

Friday List: TV Casualties

By Liz Kelly

Ah, fall. Suddenly the world -- at least within a two-mile radius of D.C. -- has gone all cool air, pumpkins, mums and new TV season debuts. The husband and I have been feverishly rearranging our lives -- and DVR -- to handle a whole new schedule. Already, we have some good ("The Simpsons," "COPS"), some bad ("Men in Trees") and some ugly ("Survivor"), but we're still awaiting a few yet to debut.

Since it's Friday, I thought TV proclivities might make for a great Friday list. Specifically, TV casualties of two kinds:

1. No matter how many of us profess a desire to curb our TV habit, most tend to sacrifice at least some small part of our lives to at least one show -- be it sitcom, Adult Swim or Stephen Colbert. Hence, we are TV casualties.

2. The other variety of TV casualty: the quality entertaining show that sucked us in, yet still was canceled (it may or may not have been a quality show, but defininitely had to have that certain can't-stop-watching quality).

What series are you most looking forward to couch potato-ing for this season and, if you had the power, what canceled show -- from any era -- would you bring back? (If the show is super old, assume you can either have the stars magically regress to their previous ages or describe how you would update the show)

Teen angst never hurt so good: Claire Danes in 'My So-Called Life.' (ABC)

I'll start:

Show I'm Most Looking Forward to This Season: The return of "Lost." I must confess that I'm a latecomer to the "Lost" party. I only started watching on DVD in March and am currently racing my way through the season two DVDs (Sawyer just conned Locke and Jack out of the guns and Charlie has some serious 'splaining to do). In any case, I'll be ready to go on Oct. 4th when the new season kicks off and we'll discuss here every week.

Canceled Show I'd Bring Back: I'm going to go with the first one that popped into my head: "My So-Called Life." So smart, so right on and just so well done. This straight up show was the yin to "90210's" fantastical yang. Not to mention Jordan Catalano. Ai. At this point, I think I'd opt for an updated treatment, though -- one that finds Angela as a post-doctoral grad student who again runs into Jordan, who is now the brooding lead singer of a struggling indie band. Oh, and sadly, describing Rayanne Graff's fate as "Courtney Love-ish" would be a kindness. (Bonus: Girl Crack)

By Liz Kelly  | September 22, 2006; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Friday Lists, TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sandra Bullock Sues Over Stalker
Next: Gibson Resurfaces to Promote Film

Comments

Lost has filled the void left by Twin Peaks, which filled the void left by Dark Shadows. American Gothic (mid-90s) was pretty cool, too.

For a non-wacky, non-weird viewing, last night's ER premiere was awesome.

Posted by: B | September 22, 2006 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Max Headroom. (My So-Called Life was great too.)

Posted by: Frank S | September 22, 2006 11:20 AM | Report abuse

"My So-Called Life" was simply the best show of my generation. I wish it had lasted longer, but I suppose it's good that its stint on TV lives on supremely in my mind.

The CSI premiere was pretty strange last night as well. Lots of unanswered questions linger.

Posted by: StuckinCT | September 22, 2006 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I'm so glad that The Office is back. That show makes me happy/uncomfortable.

Posted by: Maggie | September 22, 2006 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Anyone ever see "Wonderfalls"? That was a good, quirky one. Wish it would've stuck around.

Posted by: tvlvr | September 22, 2006 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I like Men in Trees! It's great, like Northern Exposure from the female perspective. I miss Northern Exposure - glad we have reruns and DVDs.

I liked The Days. It only lasted a short summer season, but it was funny when mom and teen daughter were pregnant together.

And Summerland... such a great show!
Once and Again... I'd still be watching if it were on.

Most canceled shows have finished their stories and "jumped the shark" even when we don't want to admit it. The Days, Summerland, and Once and Again didn't have time to jump.

I'm just glad Gilmore Girls and One Tree Hill got picked up by the new network. And yes, I'll be couching it each Monday night for cheesy lines on 7th Heaven.

Posted by: Couch Potato | September 22, 2006 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Most looking forward to: the return of Lost

Show I wish they'd bring back: Keen Eddie

Posted by: meg | September 22, 2006 11:37 AM | Report abuse

My So-Called Life popped into my head before I scrolled down!

There was a fabulously irreverant show on MTV called "Clone High" - cartoon about clones of famous people in typical high school scenarios (Ghandi, Abe Lincoln, JFK, Joan of Arc were main characters.) It was TV-lite, but really funny.

NOthing is filling my West Wing void this year. I need a smart show

Posted by: MD | September 22, 2006 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I thought I wanted to have Tom Cruise's babies... but now I've seen one, I'm not so sure....

Posted by: Mark Day | September 22, 2006 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Looking forward to Veronica Mars and the Office. Still upset they cancelled Keen Eddie but thrilled I bought the DVD. And still bummed they cancelled Stargate Sg-1.

Posted by: Anon | September 22, 2006 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm looking forward to Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, I really enjoyed the premiere!

I need Seinfeld back too :)

Posted by: Layla | September 22, 2006 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Freaks and Geeks w/out a doubt. Although quite a few of its actors are on big shows today (ER, how I Met your mother). THe most painfully wonderful tv show ever.

Posted by: Detroit CeCe | September 22, 2006 11:46 AM | Report abuse

"Veronica Mars" is both the show I rearrange my life for and the show I am afraid might be cancelled.

"Undeclared" is my favorite cancelled show.

Posted by: Cece | September 22, 2006 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Looking forward to:
Grey's Anatomy
Old Christine

Miss:
Homefront
Thirtysomething
Once and Again
Party of Five

Posted by: me | September 22, 2006 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I am addicted to Gray's Anatomy!!!! I love this show its a must watch!

I was estatic when they moved the show from Sunday @ 10 to Thursday @ 9. I struggled to stay up and the nights I did, it was a struggle to get up up the next day.

I wish they would bring back Sex in the City. I jumped on the bandwagon at the very end, but I live for the reruns.

Posted by: Bored at DOT | September 22, 2006 11:56 AM | Report abuse

1. Grey's Anatomy
2. Get Smart. I really miss that show.

Posted by: UMD | September 22, 2006 11:56 AM | Report abuse

One of my favorite cancelled shows from way back when is Square Pegs. It starred a very young Sarah Jessica Parker as one of two girls trying to fit in in High School. It also starred Jamie Gertz and Tracy Nelson (Ricky's daughter).

The only new show that I've seen is Studio 60 and really liked it.

Of course, I'm always happy when CSI starts showing new episodes.

Posted by: pnina | September 22, 2006 12:00 PM | Report abuse

1. Max Headroom definitely needs to be brought back, or at least released on DVD. No updates needed, it was eerily prescient.

2. Sledge Hammer! That show was awesome. Or maybe not. I used to think Alf was really good, too, until my mom bought me the DVD. It was borderline horrible.

Posted by: OD | September 22, 2006 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Wish they'd bring back:
Friends
Beverly Hills 90210

Wish they hadn't brought back:
7th Heaven

Posted by: Williamsburg, VA | September 22, 2006 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh yes - "Freaks and Geeks" for sure. Absolutely captured school life in the late-70's. Loved it when Nick breaks out singing Styx's "Lady" to Lindsay - so classic!

"Undeclared" (also Judd Apatow) was also great - Fox never gave it a chance.

As for currently on the TV - I am so glad that "The Wire" is back after its nearly 2-year hiatus. That show is great!

Posted by: D | September 22, 2006 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Clone High was AWESOME! But I gotta say, I'd bring back Arrested Development. It didn't get nearly the run it deserved, and its tragic demise is still fresh in my mind.

I'm probably most looking forward to Grey's Anatomy, although Studio 60 seems like it could be a new favorite. It's too early in the year to look forward to Scrubs, alas...

Posted by: Joan of Arc | September 22, 2006 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I rememer Sledge Hammer! It was hilarious. Kind of like Detective Squad.

Another show I wish they'd bring back:

Arrested Development

Posted by: b | September 22, 2006 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Ned & Stacey. Oh yeah. It was dope.

Posted by: Ronnie | September 22, 2006 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Get Smart was awesome, and so was Dragnet!

Oh and I really miss Sex and the City, too. That's the 1 show I really wish they would bring back more than any other.

Posted by: more from Williamsburg | September 22, 2006 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Return Show Loving:

Boston Legal

New Show Loving:

Shark

(What a theme. . .)

Get Over it:

Survivor -- yeah, it's kind of quirky and certainly makes me squirm a bit, but the race thing primarily seems to be bothering white people, and from I hear from Pookie (Lisa) the ratings did not fly off the charts.

Posted by: Lane | September 22, 2006 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Just realized I haven't been watching any network TV. I don't know how that happened. I would bring back Arrested Development. Stupid TV execs, cancelling that brilliant show...

Posted by: DC-Lady | September 22, 2006 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Return show: America's Next Top Model, of course.

Cancelled show: No one has mentioned Firefly!! I thought you were my people, but now I'm not so sure.

Posted by: h3 | September 22, 2006 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Now: Tie between Lost and Grey's Anatomy.

Then: My So-Called Life. Wish I could get the DVD for under $500.

Posted by: No Show Mo | September 22, 2006 12:22 PM | Report abuse

This Season:

The Simpsons
Scrubs
The Office
My Name is Earl

Old Shows:

Beverly Hills 90210
Get Real

Posted by: CJ | September 22, 2006 12:23 PM | Report abuse

This season it will probably be Family Guy and Simpsons.

Show I wish could come back would be Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I didn't discover it until it's final season but I've gone back and watched it all. You just need to avoid the usually pretty bad looking monsters, and hiding behind them is a very deep show that examines a lot about what it is to be alive and a human. At the same time it throws in lots of great sarcastic humor that fits me well and good integration of music.

Posted by: bobbo | September 22, 2006 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious about how they can improve "Lost" this year (last year's meanderings and repeated Michelle Rodriguez plot drove me away).

And I've always wanted to see more of "The Searcher" from "Danger Theatre" back in the day...I LOVE that Dietrich Bader.

Posted by: Maritza | September 22, 2006 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: me2 | September 22, 2006 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to Lost.

Missing:
Brisco County
Profit (w/Adrian Pasdar)

Posted by: Chasmosaur | September 22, 2006 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to see Northern Exposure back on the airwaves. Love love love that show. Smart, funny, quirky, oddly sexy at times. Of course, the DVDs only go up to season 5 for now, so maybe they did some irreparable in the final season (seasons?) that I don't know about yet.

Also cancelled for no good reason-- Sports Night. Just two seasons? Why??? It's like the disappearance of Atlantis. No one can explain it, it leaves a huge hole even years later, and the world is poorer for its loss.

Posted by: WDC | September 22, 2006 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm definitely looking forward to "Lost", though with the pattern they're planning, I'm looking much more forward to the large span of uninterrupted new episodes in the spring.

Shows I'd bring back -- Firefly, Farscape, Crusade, and Brisco County

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | September 22, 2006 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Miss: Hey Dude http://www.tv.com/hey-dude/show/3166/summary.html
and
Life As We Know It http://www.tv.com/life-as-we-know-it/show/22826/summary.html

Posted by: katerkat | September 22, 2006 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait for Lost on October 4th! I also DVR'd The Office last night but haven't watch it yet.

There are two shows that I would bring back if I had god-like TV powers:

1. Sports Nights
2. Newsradio (but only with Phil Hartman, who is, alas, deceased)

Posted by: Susan | September 22, 2006 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad someone else mentioned Homefront. I loved that show the two years it was on, and wish I could get it on DVD.

Posted by: fed ee | September 22, 2006 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Actually, we don't have a tv. Well, we have one that works when connected to our DVD player, but not as a TV. We own Simpsons DVDs and Sopranos DVDs, but have nothing we watch regularly. I just find that 9/10 times, I would rather read a book or go for a walk with my husband.

Posted by: Alexandria | September 22, 2006 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Man, they BETTER bring back "Invasion"!

I'd give my right pinky for Buffy The Vampire Slayer to go on forever!

Posted by: AWP in Rockville | September 22, 2006 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Buffy, Firefly, Angel hands down would love for them to come back. In March '07, Dark Horse comics and Joss Whedon are releasing a series that is supposed to be Buffy "Season 8." I've never crossed over into comic book geekdom, but I think I'm going to now.

Honorable mentions: Twin Peaks, Brisco County, My So Called Life, Strange Luck and Threshold

Posted by: Tiff | September 22, 2006 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I would so love to bring back "Firefly," "Sports Night" and -- brace yourselves -- "Popular."

The first two were brilliant, and I can't understand why they didn't catch on. The last is my guilty pleasure. I think it was really mis-advertised. It was so much more enjoyable for those of us who were well done with adolesence than for the teeny boppers they were trying to lure in.

Posted by: JayneCobbIsMyHero | September 22, 2006 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to coming back:
ON NETWORK
Boston Legal - I think James Spader is a brilliant and fascinating actor, I can't take my eyes off him! I have been renting and watching some of his movies over the summer.
ON CABLE
Battlestar Galactica - greatly underrated show, the acting and story are outstanding.

Wish they would bring back:
ON NETWORK
Sports Night - A great Aaron Sorkin comedy that only lasted 2 seasons and was brilliant. I am revisiting it as a rental.
ON CABLE
Farscape - another brilliant "space opera" that ended too soon, not long after I discovered it.

Posted by: CJB | September 22, 2006 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I rearrange my life around 24 - it seems like January will never get here.

I wish they'd bring back China Beach - I can't even get it in DVD to enjoy it.

Posted by: Debbie J | September 22, 2006 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Already have informed all roommates that the television is MINE from 9-10 on Thursday for Grey's Anatomy.

Both of my bring-backs have been mentioned:
Sports Night (man, that was GREAT, and I will always love Peter Krause because of that show).

Wonderfalls; a fun, quirky show that deserved much much more than the, what? 4 or five episodes that Fox gave it.

Posted by: AG | September 22, 2006 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to:
Ugly Betty

Missing:
Wonderfalls
Sports Night
Angel
Buffy
Keen Eddie
John Doe

Posted by: MDW | September 22, 2006 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait for: Lost

Bring Back: Firefly, Arrested Development, Freaks and Geeks
(Hard to bring back Firefly though after the movie Serenity killed off 2 main characters)

Posted by: Browncoat | September 22, 2006 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to:

Lost
Battlestar Galactica
Boston Legal
(those are the only ones I have to watch the same night they air)

Wish they'd bring back:

My So-Called Life (no, really, the DVDs have been on my wish list for, like, for*ev*er!)
Freaks & Geeks
Greg the Bunny
Firefly
Wonderfalls
Dark Angel
Arrested Development
The Tick (animated)

Posted by: The Cosmic Avenger | September 22, 2006 1:28 PM | Report abuse

anybody seen Psych on USA? comes on after Monk (season's over until Feb)...It is also hilarious.

Posted by: b | September 22, 2006 1:30 PM | Report abuse

This season's must-see(s): Grey's Anatomy. Boston Legal. House.

Wish it were back: Cupid. Can't believe none of you mentioned this awesome show with Jeremy Piven and even a great performance by the Typhoid Mary of t.v. shows, Paula Marshall.

Buffy was must-see, but it sure got depressing in the last couple of seasons. Depressing because the quality tanked so that there were fewer gems among the laughably bad episodes, but also, simply, depressing.

Posted by: Jordan | September 22, 2006 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Change life for:
Lost
Grey's Anatomy

Bring back:
Farscape
Firefly
Keen Eddie
Strange Luck
Sports Night
Nowhere Man

I am still dumbfounded that so few people discovered the joy that was Keen Eddie - great music, well written, funny as hell, cool editing and smoking hot leads. What was not to love?

Posted by: natgeo | September 22, 2006 1:34 PM | Report abuse

In love with:
*Grey's Anatomy
*House

Bring back
*ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT!!!
*Clarissa Explains It All (what can I say, I used to want to be her)
*Other 'old school' Nick shows
*There was a show on Fox last summer that got cancelled...something about an FBI agent who had been kidnapped as a child and now is working on psychopath cases...anywho, I liked it

Posted by: Michelle | September 22, 2006 1:35 PM | Report abuse

This season's must-see(s): Grey's Anatomy. Boston Legal. House.

Posted by: Jordan | September 22, 2006 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking forward to the returns of Lost, Veronica Mars, Gilmore Girls and Doctor Who.

New shows I'm looking forward to are Studio 60 (loved the premiere) and Ugly Betty.

I'd love to bring back pretty much everything by Bedford Falls Productions (My So-Called Life, Thirtysomething, and Once and Again come to mind).

Posted by: Tim Rand | September 22, 2006 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm half-way through season 4 of '24'. Got stopped by 'The Wire' on-demand.

I love TV shows on DVD. An hour is about the right amount of time to watch, and you can watch them whenever you want!

I've had the misfortune to have been in the hosptial over the past year or so. I RUN the other way from Dr. shows -- too close to home.

Posted by: RoseG | September 22, 2006 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to:
Gilmore Girls (wonder how the script will be without Amy Sherman-Palladino)
The Office
My Name is Earl
Desperate Housewives

Wish they'd bring back (in order):
Freaks and Geeks
Arrested Development
And a mid-summer show that lasted about two seconds at least five years ago but it was surreal and well-written and I really loved it, Maximum Bob

Posted by: kab | September 22, 2006 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Bah, Get Smart has had too many chances already, on every major network, IIRC.

Well, my faith in humanity is restored with all the calls for Firefly.

The show I'd love to see come back most is The Dana Carvey Show, with the original writers.

Besides Carvey, Steve Carell, Dave Chapelle, Steve Colbert, Charlie Kaufman and Bob Smigel (aka Triumph the Insult Comic dog) were among the murderer's row of writer/actors for that show.

Really, it was too sharp, too funny and just too much for network TV in 1996. Or maybe ever.

Ha. Bring back the original Star Trek.

bc

Posted by: bc | September 22, 2006 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Love:
House, Grey's Anatomy, My Name is Earl, Desperate Housewives (hope it is as good as the first season).

Missing:
Ed
Friends
Providence
Homefront
Wonderfalls

Posted by: Melinda | September 22, 2006 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Claire Dane hasn't been a teenager since Clinton was governor of Arkansas.

Posted by: Bunkley | September 22, 2006 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Network:

Enjoying:
ER
Criminal Minds
CSI & CSI Miami (never got into the NY one)
House

Bring Back:
Four Kings
Gideon's Crossing
Homicide

Cable - Bring Back only:

Dead Like Me...one of the best shows I've ever seen, enjoying the reruns on SciFi now...like Arrested Development, cancelled for no good reason at all

Posted by: Ron in Reston | September 22, 2006 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, there aren't any new shows I'm looking forward to this season. So it looks like it's Lost, Fox's Animation Domination (Family Guy is proof that shows can come back from the dead) and Mythbusters.

Shows that I wish could be brought back and never should've been dropped in the first place:
Arrested Development (Fox)
Firefly (Fox)
The Critic (Fox)
Angel (WB)
Strange Luck (Fox)
John Doe (Fox)
Rollergirls (A&E)

Never realized just how trigger happy Fox is.

Posted by: Brian | September 22, 2006 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Am loving now:
Grey's Anatomy
The Office

Can't wait for the return of:
Rescue Me

I fondly remember:
Cupid (Love Piven! They should have at least had a mass wedding to close the series)
and a short-lived series called Relativity (w/ Kimberly Williams)

Posted by: mara | September 22, 2006 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Love:
House
Grey's Anatomy
My Name is Earl
The Office

Missing:
Ed
Providence
Homefront
Hill Street Blues
Shannon's Deal
The Adventures of Briscoe County, Jr.
JAG (my father doesn't go online, but he would want this in the list!)

Posted by: Bwana | September 22, 2006 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I miss:
Homefront
American Dreams
Ed

Posted by: DC | September 22, 2006 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to: "Lost" and "Scrubs"

Wish they'd bring back: WKRP (the original, not that awful follow-up they tried in the '90s)

Posted by: David | September 22, 2006 2:17 PM | Report abuse

How could I forget this one: please bring back "Battle of the Network Stars"! It was a brilliantly awful train-wreck of a program that I could never stop watching!

Posted by: David | September 22, 2006 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Herman's Head
or The A-Team 2007

Posted by: your husband | September 22, 2006 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Bring back Stark Raving Mad!

How could you go wrong with the one-two punch of Tony Shalhoub and Neil Patrick Harris?

Posted by: NPH Stole My Car | September 22, 2006 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I rearrange my life for Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars. Now (or soon, as of Oct 3) that they air back-to-back on the same network, it's a dream come true!

Wonderfalls was a fantastic show. I caught all 13 episodes on DVD and would pick up exactly where Jay, Eric, Aaron, Mahandra left us!

Posted by: darcie | September 22, 2006 2:32 PM | Report abuse

New Show - Studio 60. I can't WAIT to see how this one unfolds.

Bring back Silver Spoons. Please? The Ricker was the hottest thing around!

Posted by: Laura | September 22, 2006 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Anticipated Show: The Office

Return Show: Firefly

Posted by: Liz | September 22, 2006 2:38 PM | Report abuse

OMG- loving all the Freaks and Geeks votes! I JUST discovered it thanks to a friend copying and sending me the dvd's.

Posted by: Liz | September 22, 2006 2:41 PM | Report abuse

John Crichton from Farscape is my SciFi crush. He is the McDreamy of outer space.

Posted by: katerkat | September 22, 2006 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to:
Lost
Monk
Wire in the Blood (BBC America)
ER (I love Luka!) & all the staff people; (I would love an episode from the perspective of the orderlies & non-sexy nurses, and their private lives, with the stars just in the background; Scrubs sort of does this)
Bring back:
Short-lived variety show from the summer of 67 or 68, The John Davidson Show, with the regulars of George Carlin and Richard Pryor before they were stars (I've never seen this in reruns)
Homicide
The Carol Burnett Show
Fawlty Towers
Mr. Novak (I still love Richard Chamberlain)
The Defenders
Night Court & WKRP

Star Trek Next Generation (the best scripts of all the Star Treks)
Twilight Zone

Posted by: Lindy | September 22, 2006 2:43 PM | Report abuse

A starter list for yesterday's post
ENTERTAINMENT'S MOST UNAPPEALING MEN
26. Pig Pen
27. Billy Bush
28. Matt Damon
29. Colin Farrell
30. Chad Michael Murray

Posted by: whoisgonnagetupsetnow | September 22, 2006 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Show to watch (hopefully!): Studio 60. Please, please let it be good.

Shows I miss:
Sports Night (so sad when it ended)
Relativity (wow, that was a long time ago)

Posted by: Kim | September 22, 2006 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking forward to Grey's Anatomy, Ugly Betty, My Name is Earl
( I discovered that over the summer),and of course American Idol.

I miss Sex and the City (though Entourage does help), Felicity (I went to college in New York)
The Cosby show, Hill Street Blues and Chicago Hope, and the Ed Sullivan Show( that goes waaaaaay back)

Posted by: lisa | September 22, 2006 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Shows I'm looking forward to:
Studio 60
House
Dr. Who
Battlestar Galactica
American Idol (shutup)

Shows I Miss:
Keen Eddie
Firefly
Wonderfalls
VR.5 (why isn't this on DVD?)
Millenium
The Tick (live action)
Arrested Development

And, yes, Sports Night, but Sports Night ended so that Sorkin could focus on The West Wing instead, so I think it was a fair trade.

Posted by: I hate Fox | September 22, 2006 3:13 PM | Report abuse

looking forward to:
*Battlestar Galactica
*Kidnapped (did anyone other than me see this?)
*Law and Order CI/SVU (original isn't the same without Lenny Briscoe)

Missing
*Providence
*Hill Street Blues
* Stargate sg-1 (my heart is already aching for it and the last show hasn't aired yet)
*ER (with the original cast PLEASE!)
*Homicide
* Miami Vice (original players PLEASE!!!)
*JAG
*X-Files

Posted by: dee | September 22, 2006 3:19 PM | Report abuse

SO looking forward to 24, even though it doesn't start until January.

I would give me little pinkie toe to bring back Arrested Development!

Posted by: Jay | September 22, 2006 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I love TV (and, therefore, TiVo), so there are a lot of shows that I have been anticipating. But I guess the one that consistently gets me is "Grey's Anatomy."

The show I wish they'd bring back: "Sports Night". Though I'll make due with Aaron Sorkin's new show (which is damn good), "Studio 60."

Posted by: McLean | September 22, 2006 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Miss - BARNEY MILLER

Posted by: Max | September 22, 2006 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I definitely will be stopping all activity to watch "ER" on Thursdays. Yeah, it's been on forever, but it's still good (as evidenced by last night's season premiere). As for a show that should be resurrected, I cast my vote for "Blind Justice". I know, the premise of a blind detective in New York was getting problematic, but I'm sure the writers would have developed the story had they been given the chance. Besides, the production quality was high (neat filming techniques and musical scoring), the stories were interesting,Ron Eldard is not so hard on the eyes, and the network cheated viewers out of seeing one or two of the filmed episodes.

Posted by: CStimpert | September 22, 2006 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to:

Lost
Battlestar Galactica
Dr. Who

Missing:

Original Star Trek
Hill Street Blues
Dead Like Me
Farscape
Firefly
X Files
Kolchak: the night stalker (original)
Andromeda

Posted by: Sue | September 22, 2006 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to
there really isn't much right now, but I'll say
*Veronica Mars

Missing
most of my favorite shows (The Simpsons, Northern Exposure, X-Files) probably went on too long, so I'll omit them.
*The Muppet Show
*Eerie, Indiana
*The Lone Gunmen
*Probe

Posted by: Phil | September 22, 2006 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Ron in Reston, you could not have made a better choice in "Dead Like Me" as one of the shows you would like to see brought back. I don't have cable, but I picked up the DVD for the 1st season at my local video store and I was stunned at how good this show was. I was absolutely enchanted with the writing, the actors and the quirky black humor. It was bittersweet and so moving and it dealt with death in a way that was different than Six Feet Under.

I signed a petition to keep the show on the air. Something I've never done before and doubt I will ever do again. But I didn't want this superb show to end. I don't think I will ever forgive Showtime.

Mandy Pantinkin was wonderful in this and he's since moved on. I urge all of you smart Celebritology readers to walk nay run to your video rental stores and watch this series, you will not be disappointed!

Posted by: Srtahoya | September 22, 2006 3:52 PM | Report abuse

MSCL for sure, and probably Everwood (I'm confused by the choice to revive 7th Heaven over continuing Everwood, though I will still tune in to 7th Heaven).

I don't know if Angela should be a post-doc though--maybe struggling along in a non-profit or other small outfit? Still in grad school? It would be too perfect if she'd already finished with school.

Posted by: Emily | September 22, 2006 4:03 PM | Report abuse

looking forward to 24. hopefully studio 60?

miss Ed and American Dreams.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 22, 2006 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone watching Arrested Development on G4? They started with season 2.

Posted by: Doris | September 22, 2006 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Veronica Mars - can't wait! Am glad Earl and The Office are back, too.

I miss Freaks and Geeks - the box set just isn't enough- and am glad to see I'm not the only one who was a Herman's Head fan.

Posted by: Number Four | September 22, 2006 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Can't Wait/Miss: The L Word, Entourage, Weeds, Girlfriends, Medium, CSI, SVU.

Bring Back: Buffy, Angel, Northern Exposure, Cupid, Frank's Place, Cheers, Cosby, Dukes of Hazzard, Houston, Hart to Hart, City of Angels, My-So-Called-Life, Flip W or Carol B, Happy Days, Soul Food, Early Edition and What About Joan (Cusack).

Bring 'em all back 'Where Are They Now?'

If I Never See Another Episode: Friends, Seinfeld, 90210, Melrose Place, SATC, Dallas, Dynasty...

Posted by: Cooky | September 22, 2006 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I absolutely am looking forward to The Amazing Race (3 time Emmy winner) and the new show "Heroes" looks promising.

I absolutely miss Six Feet Under (HBO), Sex and the City (HBO), Models Inc. (FOX -?) and Melrose Place (FOX)

Posted by: Uno Dos Tres | September 22, 2006 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Loving:
Prison Break
The Office

Missing:
Undeclared
The World According to Andy Richter

Those are the only two shows in my lifetime that I've bothered to research post-cancellation to see if there was any chance of them ever coming back.

Posted by: Cooper | September 22, 2006 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Shannon's Deal
early Homicide
Arrested Development
Get a Life (either version)
Professor Kitzel

Posted by: Red Ball | September 22, 2006 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I am either the only human who loved Huff or just the only one who saw it? Either way, gonna miss it.

Posted by: Agador Lonely | September 22, 2006 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to:

Scrubs (whenever it starts--why does NBC keep screwing with this show)

Shield

Miss:
Hidden Hills

Posted by: Anonymous | September 22, 2006 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Great news for Get Smart fans! It's finally coming out on DVD -- ALL FIVE SEASONS IN ONE COLLECTION.

Put it on your holiday wish lists. It's available only from Time-Life. $199.95 and it looks amazing.

Get info at www.tvshowsondvd.com

Posted by: Loudoun Voter | September 22, 2006 5:53 PM | Report abuse

current addiction:

"project runway"

looking forward to new season:

"studio 60" (the premiere episode rocked!)
"rescue me"
"the closer"
"girlfriends"
"csi miami"
"everybody hates chris"

wish it were back:

"sex and the city"
"the mind of married men" (mike binder's short-lived hbo series)
"starting over" (which was unceremoniously dumped)
"law & order: trial by jury"
"the d.l. hughley show" (sorry, but anything's better than "mind of mencia.")

Posted by: secretlove | September 22, 2006 7:56 PM | Report abuse

New shows - Standoff
Coming back - 24, House, Grey's

Bring Back - No one said it so I have to say it first: FUTURAMA, in fact I'll say it twice FUTURAMA! In fact let's all talk to Zoidberg right now. Of course Firefly, Farscape were tremendous shows and thankfully were given proper burials after cancellation. I also liked Bedford Diaries for its frank sexual dialogue though lacking in other ways.

Finally a shot-out for bringing back real saturday morning cartoons from my generation, especially X-men and Transformers.

Posted by: damnbrit | September 22, 2006 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I miss Joan of Arcadia

Posted by: Phan | September 22, 2006 8:34 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait for America's Next Top Model, Amazing Race, Studio 60 and Wife Swap(If you hate housework, you'll enjoy this show),Office,Law & Order

Miss: Barney Miller, Odd Couple, Hill Street Blues(best cop show ever),The Critic( too smart for FOX),L.A.Law,Cheers,

Please Cancel: Rachel Ray(She's too scary)

Posted by: Alicia | September 22, 2006 10:31 PM | Report abuse

You TV-heads need to a get a life. Seriously. You are getting fat and braindead in front of the tube.

Posted by: message-from-maxim | September 23, 2006 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Shows I am addicted too: Grey's Anatomy (actually cried when the DVR didn't record an ep), Lost, Project Runway, Gilmore Girls...and even though I watch many,many more, I will stop there.

THE show I wish would be brough back: ROSWELL. Am I the only person who watched it. I hear Dido and I just miss the Pod Squad, especially the yummy Max, and all their alien antics. And it was obviously well cast as two of the main characters are now on Grey's and Lost.

Posted by: maybebaby | September 25, 2006 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Bring back:

Homefront
China Beach
Thirtysomething
Tour of Duty
Homicide
American Dreams

OR RELEASE THEM ON DVD!!!!!!

Posted by: mspickles | September 25, 2006 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Show I'd bring back: Earth 2

It premiered the same year as the ill-begotten Seaquest: DSV--which got much more ink despite being just terrible. Not even so-bad-it's-good, just plain bad.

Meanwhile, Earth 2 got short shrift despite the fact that it had a truly interesting premise, some aliens who were actually *alien* (e.g., the ones who communicated in dreams), AND the luscious Debrah Farentino AND a young Rebecca Gayheart.

Posted by: Just me | September 25, 2006 12:31 PM | Report abuse

At least I am not the only person out there who liked Cupid or Early Edition!
Cupid was amazing....it is sad it was cancelled. And who could not love Kyle chandler in Early Edition? I had a crush on him. I enjoyed seeing him in King Kong.
Can't wait for Lost
Oh yeah, also...bring back Invasion as well as Cupid and Early Edition

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2006 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Show I'm excited about: It's not broadcast, and already halfway through a season, but Eureka on Sci-fi is a riot!

Bring back: Cupid, definitely. That one ended way too soon. More Firefly would have been good, but it's too late now. Justice League Unlimited (no laughing, please).

Posted by: SEP | September 25, 2006 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Surprised no one mentioned Quantum Leap.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2006 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh my - two people mentioned Briscoe County - I seriously thought that that show was a figment of my imagination - but it was so well written and witty.

Hmmm...another show to bring back, though, which no one was mentioned "In Living Color" Truly inspired comedy when they were at their best. "Two Snaps and A Mouse Click"

Posted by: John In Houston | September 25, 2006 6:54 PM | Report abuse

What I wouldn't do for some more Firefly!!!!

Posted by: Karen | September 25, 2006 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Love:

Lost
CSI (original Vegas--NY is OK and Miami would be alright if I didn't absolutely detest David Caruso)
Weeds
Law & Order (regular, CI and SVU, although regular isn't the same without Lenny)
The Amazing Race
House
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Sopranos
Family Guy
The Closer
Scrubs
The Shield
Prison Break

Bring back:

Dave Chappelle Show (hoping Dave will reconsider as he is hilarious)
Sex and the City
Sports Night
Deadwood (SO BUMMED this HBO show was cancelled)
The Mole (reality show Anderson Cooper hosted before he went on CNN)
The Muppet Show
Seinfeld

Posted by: TV Junkie | September 26, 2006 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Xena Xena Xena. I think they could do a great set of telenovelas (scenarios that lasted only a couple seasons each) about different stages in Xena's karmatic cycle. You could have Xena-proxies in the Arthur legend, Native American Xena-proxy during colonization, or in Reformation Germany, Africa, Druidic Xena. What more can I say? Xena.

I also miss Buffy (tho I thought Firefly was lame), and Twin Peaks. It's a shame that Muholland Drive got cancelled before David Lynch had a chance to really do it right!

Posted by: Rita | September 26, 2006 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Excited for the return of: Grey's & The Office (loved both premiers last Thursday), Amazing Race, Scrubs, 24, Prison Break

Missing the recently departed: Arrested Development, Invasion and Everwood

Missing the departed: Ed, My So Called Life, Once and Again, News Radio (original cast), Stark Raving Mad, Boomtown (that was a great show)

Posted by: At work in NY | September 26, 2006 1:30 PM | Report abuse