Posted at 10:40 AM ET, 09/ 1/2006

J.Lo's Futuristic Fashion Flub

By Liz Kelly

My husband has a sharp eye for fashion. He's able to hone in on fashion foibles with powers of observation reminiscent of "Project Runway's" Tim Gunn.

So, last night when the husband pronounced judgment on J.Lo's futuristic VMA get-up, I knew he had spoken the truth. (He'd long ago gained fashion cred with me by pointing out the depravity of Madonna's leotard and heeding wise "What Not to Wear" advice to avoid pleated pants (Personal to Bluto: Ha ha.))

Here, verbatim, is his reaction: "Holy [expletive]. What is Jello wearing? She looks like that puppet, what was her name? The old lady puppet from "Solid Gold?"

To visually aid his astute observation:

J.Lo arrives at the Video Music Awards (AP). Inset: Madame.

On that note, have a great holiday weekend. See you back here Tuesday.

Bonus: If you don't remember the hilarity of a sexually-charged post-menopausal puppet, YouTube obliges with a clip from Madame's short-lived sitcom.

By Liz Kelly  | September 1, 2006; 10:40 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Alleged Britney Sandwich Sells for $520
Next: Morning Mix: Walters Wants Rosie to Stop Blogging

Comments

OH SNAP

Posted by: Killing Joke | September 1, 2006 11:02 AM | Report abuse

That is so dead on. Well played, Husband of Liz.

Posted by: OMG | September 1, 2006 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I never comment on here...but that was HILARIOUS. Your husband was so on point with that observation...

Posted by: HRHJChristine | September 1, 2006 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Che...

Uh, what's that have anything to do with Madame (the puppet from Solid Gold) or J.Lo?

d00d, get a grip, we're only here for a short time, why waste your energy on such trivial matters as that?!?

Posted by: Sam F. | September 1, 2006 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Apologies, Sam, but I deleted Che's HUGE rant. It was disrespectful of him to not mention Madame even once.

Posted by: Liz | September 1, 2006 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Ba-dum.
Ba-dum.
Ba-dum ba-dum ba-dum.

Posted by: Bluto | September 1, 2006 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Aw dang....I missed Che's rant!? How will I be able to survive the day without hearing the opinion of THE most important person in the world???? Oh well, we must carry on! Now about JLo. Honey, what ARE you wearing! I really have no idea what to say about it. Its just ugly. Right on Liz's husband with that great observation!

Posted by: Burke | September 1, 2006 1:29 PM | Report abuse

This is dead-on!

I was also reminded of Madame while watching Barry Manilow's tight, plastic face at the Emmy Awards.

Posted by: BK | September 1, 2006 1:33 PM | Report abuse

wow, now i think i heart mr. liz more than i heart gene.

Posted by: elise | September 1, 2006 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Awesome. Perfect description--I am still doubled over with laughter.

Posted by: sixy | September 1, 2006 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Haha! I wonder if Bluto read that! Mr. Liz is quite an observer. Nice to know he also hates pleats!

Posted by: not bluto | September 1, 2006 3:54 PM | Report abuse

It would be wrong to let a Madame reference go by without taking the opportunity to note that the puppet Madame was based on Margo, who held forth for 40 years at the cash register at Trio Restaurant, 17th & Q in Washington. Waylon Flowers was a frequent customer, and Margo was much beloved by her boys. We lost Waylon to the plague in the early 80's, but Margo can still be seen on 17th Street if you look carefully. Madame not only looked like Margo, but was also possessed of some of her bawdier sensibilities, if in somewhat exaggerated style.

Posted by: Michael in Dupont | September 1, 2006 6:09 PM | Report abuse

I personally love the fact that Mr. Liz called her "Jello." I am now going to start doing that too. And, the reference was dead-on hysterical. Love it!

Posted by: EV | September 5, 2006 1:06 PM | Report abuse

We've got to talk here about Madonna's video and her "get-up" that she's wearing.

First of all, before you read my comments understand a few things:

1) When madonna was actually the right age to do this video, she wasn't all that.

2) I'm a middle-aged man who works out harder and longer than I did when I was a kid. Strict diet, stretches, strength, martial arts. I mean, if I did this when I was 20, I'd be superman.

3) But I'm not superman, never was, and based on results, never will be.

4) The point is, madonna can work out like a fiend, but she's still a middle aged woman who has had kids.

5) Don't wear clothes that make you look bad.

6) Madonna looks bad because she has a middle aged body

7) You know what? Short of somebody like a Jessica Alba, no woman would look good in that leotard.

8) Seriously.

9) ...and even in her prime, Madonna wasn't sexy. She was a novelty act.

10) And still is.

Posted by: Bunkley | September 6, 2006 4:43 AM | Report abuse

Love J.Lo, Hate the get up. She looks like some faux European old hag with no style! How dare she walk out of the house in such garb!! Where's a good stylist when you need one?!

Posted by: Tashia Rae | September 21, 2006 12:14 PM | Report abuse