Posted at 10:40 AM ET, 09/21/2006

Maxim Gets Ugly

By Liz Kelly

Maxim's no. 3, Tina Fey. (Paramount Pictures)

From time to time, something comes to my attention that causes even me to shudder involuntarily. That happened today when I received a press release about Maxim's list of the 10 LEAST appealing women, excuse me -- "ladies" -- ever to appear on television.

This is Maxim magazine -- known for its bodacious cover girls, scant articles and undisguised randiness -- so yet another list of women ranked by their looks isn't much of a surprise.

The surprising part is who is actually on the list, which must not be targeted at Maxim's core demographic of misogynistic recliner jockeys. From the press release: "If you're looking for Rosie O'Donnell on this list, think again (just too obvious)."

Gee, that's clever.

I'm not exactly on the same wavelength as the Maxim staff, but given the above statement, I can only conclude that they must've been going for subtle, inner unattractiveness here. That doesn't explain, though, why the list is made up of a non-nonsensical mix of fictional characters (Peggy Hill, Jerri Blank, Ugly Betty, Calamity Jane) and real women (Christiane Amanpour, Fran Drescher, Tina Yothers, Pam Grier -- Pam Grier?!? -- Tina Fey, Nancy Grace). No mention is made, by the way, that the actresses behind Jerri Blank and Ugly Betty -- Amy Sedaris and America Ferrera -- are not only knockouts, but ridiculously talented.

The descriptions take the shudder-worthiness to a whole new level. Grier's figure is described as "keg-like" while the fiercest criticism seems to be pointed at Tina Fey, who clocks in at no. 3 on the list:

"Has anybody ever gotten more mileage out of a dopey pair of glasses, a scar, and tripping over her own tissue-sharp punch lines? If Fey is truly the thinking man's sex symbol, then we humbly hand over our library cards."

Dude, did Tina like totally turn you down or what?

I hate giving Maxim any page views for such a low, mean-spirited, small, vindictive list, but I thought it important to stand up for these 10 talented and beautiful women. Okay, maybe not Nancy Grace so much, but the other nine totally rock.

Share your thoughts about Maxim's list in the comments section.

By Liz Kelly  | September 21, 2006; 10:40 AM ET
Categories:  Miscellaneous
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Diaz Accuses Paparazzo of Assualt
Next: Sandra Bullock Sues Over Stalker

Comments

Yeah, Tina Fey is totally hot. What were they thinking?

Posted by: Pike | September 21, 2006 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm a woman who gets Maxim (my ex-boyfriend subscribed and never changed the address when we broke up), so this list intrigues me. Mostly because last year, Maxim did one of their photoshop photos of "women you'll never see in Maxim" - not because they're ugly, but because they're too classy. Condoleeza Rice has been one. And so has Tina Fey - who they showed and said was very hot, and very much the "thinking man's sex symbol." Way to check those archives, Maxim.

Posted by: McLean | September 21, 2006 10:55 AM | Report abuse

ARGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...MAXIM....head hurts....rage rising....must pound misogynist bastards!!!! I consider myself a thinking man, and Tina, I'll meet you at the library any day sweetie! Gorgeous and funny AND intelligent...now thats sexy!

Posted by: Nick | September 21, 2006 10:56 AM | Report abuse

They're admitting that they can't work up the hots for woment they feel like they should find appealing.

Posted by: Another Liz | September 21, 2006 10:58 AM | Report abuse

They're admitting that they can't work up the hots for women they feel like they should find appealing. It's a weirdly misplace guilt thing.

Posted by: Another Liz | September 21, 2006 10:59 AM | Report abuse

You're right on, Liz. That list TOTALLY baffled me!

Posted by: Jennifer | September 21, 2006 11:03 AM | Report abuse

"the list is made up of a non-sensical mix of fictional characters (Peggy Hill, Jerri Blank, Ugly Betty, Calamity Jane)..."

Posted by: History Geek | September 21, 2006 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Maxim is doing this list for exactly one reason: publicity. Will this offend any of their readers? Not likely. Will anyone who will be offended by this ever actually *buy* Maxim? Less likely. Personally, I'd put Tina Fey and Pam Grier (keg-like??!?) on my sexy list any day of the week. Want to talk unattractive? How about Ann Coulter? By the way, hasn't Tina Fey already been on about 15 of their lists of *most* attractive women?

Posted by: Michael | September 21, 2006 11:15 AM | Report abuse

What a hateful list. And, incidentally, I saw Christiane Amanpour in person last year and she is stunning.

Posted by: logan | September 21, 2006 11:20 AM | Report abuse

History Geek -- the Calamity Jane they refer to is the fictionalized character played by actress Robin Weigert on the HBO series "Deadwood."

Posted by: Liz | September 21, 2006 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Maxim has always been a trashy, shallow magazine, and this list merely confirms it. I don't know what kind of editorial staff allowed this to go to print. This is another reason the term "entertainment" and "journalist" should never be put in the same sentence.

Posted by: seyi | September 21, 2006 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Come on . . . nobody at Maxim has a library card.

And poor Tina Yothers--she had her awkward teen years on display at Family Ties, and is still getting bashed for being ugly?

Posted by: didn't make the list | September 21, 2006 11:27 AM | Report abuse

So what is it, folks? Do looks count, or personality? Tina Fey isn't bad looking, but is enourmously unattractive. Has anyone stopped to notice that SNL has been god awful for as long as she's been head writer? She constantly makes fun of President Bush, as if that's original or difficult, while doling out the smugness and arrogance of a Liberal Bill O' Reilly. Her popularity has a everything to do with the fact that she is a woman and zippy to do with her talent (or lack thereof). Would a man producing the drivel that she has for he last 4 seasons deserve such accolades??? I'd totally hit it with Fran Drescher though, are you kidding? She just needs a muzzle. That's all.

Posted by: Randy | September 21, 2006 11:28 AM | Report abuse

To add-my comment isn't meant to disparage this column, or any other more credible forms of entertainment news in newspapers or newsmagazines. I just think that magazines like Maxim don't deserve to be placed under the category of "jounrnalism" because it's content like what is in Maxim that is used to give journalism in general a bad name.

Posted by: seyi | September 21, 2006 11:28 AM | Report abuse

This is a total publicity stunt. I bet you anything that Tina Fey is going to be on the cover in the next year.

Posted by: Elizabeth | September 21, 2006 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Thank god they put Fey on there. Wonderful example of the Peter Principle at work.

And Nancy Grace.

Sorry Liz, you've been hitting the crack pipe again on supporting Fey.

Posted by: scott | September 21, 2006 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Frankly, I don't really find anthing surprising about this article, especially since the material is coming from a chauvinistic magazine that rates women by the size of their breasts, rather than the amount of knowledge they possess. Honestly, it doesn't strike me as astonishing that such an offensive magazine would eventually rate the "ugly chicks," some of which are fictitious, and others that are actually atractive. You've gotta hand it to them, they have definitely reached the point of being just another revolting male magazine that treats women like nothing more than sex objects. HATS OFF TO YOU MAXIM, HATS OFF TO YOU!!

Posted by: Tashia Rae | September 21, 2006 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, Lizzie -- while I agree with you that the basic premise of the Maxim feature is in bad taste (okay, borderline abhorrent), your attempt to rise to the defense of the women listed falls short.

Tina Fey USED TO BE the "thinking man's hottie". She hasn't said a funny thing in about 2 years (and I even admit that Mean Girls was a good movie). Furthermore, to make matters worse, it seems like her level of smug self-satisfaction has risen in indirect proportion to her humor output. Quite frankly, whatever intellectual appeal she used to have is starting to look more veneer than deep.

Oh, and as for America Ferrera being a knockout -- puh-lease. Not to sound crass, but she's downright Shrek-looking.

And I just don't get the Amy Sedaris love. Never found her funny -- as a matter of fact, I find her somewhat painful to watch. And, again, as for being a "knockout" --I think she actually has rodent-like features.

I think "Another Liz" hit the nail on the head -- this sounds more like a list of women that men who deem themselves intelligen and humorous are supposed to find attractive, but really just don't.

Well, except for Peggy Hill -- that beyotch has bothered me since Day 1.

Posted by: Party of One | September 21, 2006 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, that joke slideshow on maxim.com is almost as large a bowl of useless tripe as this "article" commenting on it.

Posted by: Boolian | September 21, 2006 11:39 AM | Report abuse

What buttheads. Let me guess....they're single, right? I bet their average evening includes eating take-out while standing over the kitchen sink.

Posted by: LostInThought | September 21, 2006 11:40 AM | Report abuse

(quote) Um, while I don't read Maxim, you may want to check your own facts before going off on Maxim for essentially being a "dumb-jock" mag. Calamity Jane was very real, born in Missouri and living from 1848-1903, and a friend of Buffalo Bill Cody (yes, he, too, was real). (end quote)

OK, History Geek, at what point between 1848 and 1903 did this very real person APPEAR ON TELEVISION? I guess Maxim is not just for dumb jocks, but dumb geeks too. Thanks for setting the record straight.

Oh, and Tina Fey is quite attractive; Fran Drescher is devastating, funny, and by most accounts a fine human being too. Never mind the muzzle, I'd l o v e to hear her response to this petty insult.

Posted by: StupidityUnbound | September 21, 2006 11:41 AM | Report abuse

To all of you whining about maxim.... STOP IT.

Cripes.

Maxim is being entertaining to its readers, probably mostly male, and its main attraction is the starlet of the month gets in a bikini and has pictures taken.

Unlike playboy, the articles are geared at probably the 18-30 year set (I'll bet frat houses are the main subscribers), and my guess it the articles don't even get read by the guys who subscribe.

Maybe its trashy, but what you ladies are doing is the equivalent of guys complaining about "Teen Beat" because they thought that Justin Timberlake is "rugged".

(oh and Christiane Amanpour is an odd looking person, but who cares? She's a reporter, not a fashion model. Her looks are irrelevant)

Posted by: Bunkley | September 21, 2006 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Tina Fey and Amy Sedaris have always been my "geek chic" fantasies, and America Fererra's personality made her even more attractive (yes, physically attractive) to me in Real Women Have Curves. Even Christiane Amanpour is kind of attractive. She's so incredibly smart and confident, I'd totally be her b*tch. (Yes, I'm male. I don't have a need to dominate women to prove I don't have a tiny you-know-what. Get over it, Maxim readers. Oh, wait, they stopped reading when I started using polysyllabic words.)

Posted by: The Cosmic Avenger | September 21, 2006 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't anyone understand that this article was written as humor? Why does everyone take things so seriously? Read, laugh, move on.

Posted by: Bryan | September 21, 2006 11:43 AM | Report abuse

considering Amy Sedaris' general penchants for appearance (ie showing up for a fashion shoot made up with fake bruises, the 1/2 fat suit), this may have just made day!

Posted by: lynn | September 21, 2006 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Maybe they should simply retitle the piece "Women Who Threaten Our Trembling Manhood Because They Are Smarter, Earn More, and Are Funnier...and Do It All in Really Cute Shoes".

Posted by: New Haven CT | September 21, 2006 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Maxim is a moronic magazine. The only thing more pathetic than a Maxim subscriber is a Post reader who feels the need to comment on how absurd Maxim is. Beautiful women on covers sell magazines, whether its Cosmo, Redbook, or Maxim. Its hard to photoshop someone's inner beauty onto the cover of a magazine. You don't find a lot of men criticizing the "what men want" and "how to please your man" articles in Vanity Fair because we don't waste too much time worrying about drivel... except for me. And why isn't Sarah Jessica Parker on that list??? Only gays and other women find her attractive. She looks like Martha Raye as Witchie-poo from HR Pufnstuff

Posted by: Randy | September 21, 2006 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Randy | September 21, 2006 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I think that Tiny Fey is hot...Maxim should stick to their trademark sleaze; they missed the mark on this one. Even then, it sucks.

Posted by: sw | September 21, 2006 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Maxim was no more ugly to these ladies than Liz was to Dr. Phil the other day.

If "ugliness" in writing is your issue Liz, time to look in the mirror. Rescuing the ladies doesn't redeem you. Choosing your fodder--or maybe its your core subject matter---a little more thoughtfully might elevate that sharp tongue of yours into some worthy writing. In your heart of hearts, if you listen, you might even agree.

Posted by: Sarah S | September 21, 2006 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Meh, it's Maxim. It's not like anyone actually reads that magazine; even its contributors are illiterate.

Posted by: Josh | September 21, 2006 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I mean, really. Why do people feel the need to be mean. Sad state of affairs, cause now not only sex sells, but hate does too. I suspect we'll be scratching our heads when our culture and way of life inevitably falls to its knees.

Posted by: DC | September 21, 2006 12:03 PM | Report abuse

You are not part of Maxim's demographic. Get over it.

Posted by: Tom In DC | September 21, 2006 12:03 PM | Report abuse

At least they made Nancy Grace #1. There is some justice in the world.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2006 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Nancy Grace is perfect and she is trifecta. Pig, pigish, pigglet.

Well done Maxim.... very well done!

Posted by: Marko | September 21, 2006 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Maxim has always reminded me of the magazine my best friend and I would have edited, given the chance, in 9th grade. Even the tease lines on the cover take me back to the days when I was obsessed with sex, without having ever actually had it. That said, I agree that Tina Fey, with her keen grasp of the obvious, is about as clever and funny as the phone book.

Posted by: Kevin | September 21, 2006 12:07 PM | Report abuse

BTW, Fran Drescher belongs on any list like this twice. She's as arrogant as she is annoying.

Posted by: Hah! | September 21, 2006 12:10 PM | Report abuse

While most of the women on the list probably consider it an honor to be selected by such a trashy, steroid induced magazine, I concur with Tina Fey's selection.

Her psuedo-wit alone is a major turnoff, and it seems the best part she's ever played on SNL is that of Lorne Michael's wang. Yuck. I hate to invite more feminist invective here, but Tina Fey is truly a heinous presence by just about any standard. You could call her a poorwoman's Sarah Silverman; high praise indeed.

Posted by: JDB | September 21, 2006 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Don't most of U.S based media have 'ten most beautiful people','top ten celebrity oops', 'ten unsexiest guys' etc than what is wrong with Maxim talking about ten ugliest or so. All the lists are some stupid and maxim just did something more stupidier.

Posted by: S.N.Rao | September 21, 2006 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Tina Fey is wicked HOT, even without scars, and she can call me anytime!

Posted by: Eric | September 21, 2006 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Who really gives a x!@# what Maxim, or any of those magazines think about women. We women allow ourselves to be viewed as, the ole cliche -sex objects, clothes or not, brains or not. Whatever. Obviously the majority doesn't get tired of it.

Posted by: does it matter | September 21, 2006 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Wow... I strongly suspect men take WWE more seriously than Maxim. I didn't even know that Maxim had articles, and I'm not a subscriber. This is another fluff piece from a fluff magazine, not something to work yourselves in a tizzy over.

Personally, I'd love to see a "Women of Politics" issue. Maybe we could see Ann Coulter, Michelle Malkin, and Janeane Garofalo together and ranked in a single issue? I can't wait to see what Maxim would say about them, I'm sure it would sell, and spark plenty of (political) debate.

Posted by: Ken | September 21, 2006 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Who reads Maxim for the articles?

Its a boobie magazine for men who feel embarassed to buy Playboy or Penthouse. (Of course, I'm sure Bill O'Reilly just gets his subscription to Juggs magazine in a brown paper wrapper).

Tina must be laughing her head off.

Posted by: Jay | September 21, 2006 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I figured I'd get a laugh from all of your "insightful" comments.
Geez people...it's just Maxim...get over it...get back to work.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2006 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Can someone explain the 'scars' comment about Tina Fey?

Posted by: WTF? | September 21, 2006 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I am a woman who decided to support only Women-Who-Want and Men-Who-Can. Women who want are those who want to be independent, courageous, funny, and free even if the world is against them. Men-Who-Can are those who are smart enough to appreciate and defend the Women-Who-Want, and would settle for nothing less. Supporting these wonderful people implies ignoring completely all those pathetic women who are happy to stay in their same old place, and those even more pathetic men who have nothing else to do but write lists of "doable" or "undoable" ladies. Maxim dudes CANNOT in so many ways, it is truly depressing.

Ignored behaviour is bound to disappear. Let's ignore Maxim and its sad little jokes of nature that call themselves journalists. Soon Maxim and Co. will become extinct, and the world will be a beautiful place for great women and great men to share.

P.S. I am a foreigner living in DC, so please forgive my English!

Posted by: lajules | September 21, 2006 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure all the women on Maxim's list are smart, clever and charming. Especially America Ferrara. That said, MAXIM had it right -- of the women who _appear on television_, these are some of the least (physically) attractive women. The actress is plays Calamity Jane is very average looking. Tina Fey is slim, and OK looking. Not hot. (I also liked Mean Girls.) America Ferrara is an average looking woman who is a little overweight (as is the average American woman, and me).

It unPC to call any woman unattractive, that's why all these commenters have their panties in a wad. Chill, it's just MAXIM. I get it, and I don't take it seriously.

Posted by: RML/DC | September 21, 2006 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I have subscribed to Maxim since college...great light read, tons of hot womenm, sports and gadget info. the mag is great.... EXCEPT for raggin on Tina Fey. Tina Fey is a knockout, she is not an airbrushed, silicone enhanced prop like so many other female celebs. Lame Maxim.

Posted by: MaximSubscriber | September 21, 2006 12:36 PM | Report abuse

The Maxim piece is idiotic. I will say, though, it's not just GWB supporters who find Tina Fey annoying and smug. I'm definitely not a fan of Bush, but anyone honestly evaluating Fey's performance on Weekend Update over the past few years would have to admit she's been coasting - giggling at her own lame jokes, and encouraging the even lamer jokes of Amy Poehler. It's become something of a self-love session, with little of the intellectual freshness that marked her first couple seasons (and that set her apart from the lightweight Jimmy Fallon). Of course Fey is physically attractive, but who cares?

Posted by: CWN | September 21, 2006 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for exposing Maxim for what it is -- misogynistic. It's pretty amusing how these guys so shamelessly flaunt their ignorance and insecurity in public.

Posted by: Anne | September 21, 2006 12:41 PM | Report abuse

For Pam Griet to be included on this list it is obvious that Maxim is devoid of any black leadership on its editorial desk. The problem is they have no idea the positive impact Pam Grier had on Hollywood for future black actresses, let alone the fact she remains sexy to this day.
The list is insulting and sophmoric. But so is the entire magazine for that matter.

Posted by: Alvin A. Reid | September 21, 2006 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Tina Fey is a snob. She looks hot but she acts like if you handed her a beer she would look at you as if you were a frog. Therefore, Maxim promotes her to the most unattractive of females...guess what....hetero women...your beauty is in the eyes of men...not your eyes. Get a clue or go adopt cats.

Posted by: Annandale | September 21, 2006 12:48 PM | Report abuse

if anyone claims to buy maxim for anything but the pics, they're as pathetically stupid as magazine's editors. it's not even funny or mildly entertaining. what a total waste of paper -- the morons editing this mag should be embarrassed by the idiotic drivel they produce.

Posted by: va | September 21, 2006 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Proof that "Maxim" is "Cosmo" for men, only without those helpful hints about this season's new nail polish colors...

And America Ferrera rocks! Dear Party of One, check her out in "How the Garcia Girls Spent Their Summer". Rowr.

Posted by: Maritza | September 21, 2006 12:54 PM | Report abuse

It's scandalous satire folks; just like Celebritology by Liz Kelly!

Anyone that labels Maxim readers as "misogynistic recliner jockeys" shouldn't really be casting stones!

Posted by: D~The thinking woman's sex symbol | September 21, 2006 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Nancy Grace on number 1. cant agree more on this.

Posted by: as if | September 21, 2006 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I am delighted to see the priggish, pro-prosecutor, whiny, shrillish Nancy Grace on the Maxim list. But I do agree that Tina Fey should not be on it. She is quite sexy in a sassy way and pretty funny on SNL (and very good in Mean Girls).

I would can lajules' radical feminist BS comments above. Women pretend they are victimized in society and have no power, but they are quite willing to use their sexuality in any way to get ahead. Men should feel free to call them on their PC hypocrisy. Hence, I welcome the profound disrespect of the Maxim list.

Posted by: JMolay | September 21, 2006 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I gotta wonder how many more issues of Maxim this blog will sell this month.

Posted by: Rufus | September 21, 2006 1:02 PM | Report abuse

For all those people out there who are defending Tina Fey, would you please stop? Reducing women to their "sex appeal" is a tried and true method of reducing women to a 1 dimensional characterization and thereby making their equality as human beings a trite issue. Not exactly what we should be going for. But kudos to Maxim for pointing out the obvious - a magazine intent of categorizing women in 2 categories (sexy - notsexy).

Posted by: whybother | September 21, 2006 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MaximHater | September 21, 2006 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Makes me darn glad I'm a lesbian.

Posted by: CC in DC | September 21, 2006 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Makes me darn glad I'm a lesbian.

Posted by: CC in DC | September 21, 2006 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm gay and even I can tell Tina Fey is HOT!!

Posted by: Daryl | September 21, 2006 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Actually find Tina Fey repulsive, but only her comedic talents that is....

and PAM GRIER!!! What the?!?!?!?!
She is why they invented the PAUSE button!!!!

Posted by: David S. | September 21, 2006 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I find it interesting that a lady who gets paid to post a list of links to vapid gossip articles about entertainers gets so upset that Maxim posts a list of vapid comments about TV personalities. At least Maxim's list shows some signs of actual thought and originality, albeit adolescent (although how any such list does not include the immensely annoying Katie Couric is beyond me). Also, why is it ok for Liz to post a link to an article about "Val Kilmer gets his middle age spread on" (8/11/06) but it's wrong for Maxim to point out that Pam Grier has put some weight on herself?

Posted by: Al | September 21, 2006 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Um, this article, and MAXIM Magazine in general, appeals to *most* men, who judge women mostly on how attractive they are. But here's a newsflash, *most* women judge themselves and other women mostly on how attractive they are. The minority of the human race, both male and female, are, um, just smarter than they are, perhaps also more spiritually evolved, and see more in a woman than how pretty or skinny they are. Heck we can even look at men and not size them up by how well he could "provide" for a family.

Posted by: Dee | September 21, 2006 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Randy, you need to check your facts before quoting other magazines. Vanity Fair is a magazine that delves into issues with Iraq, lifestyles of the rich and famous, literary and art figures - basically anything having to do with liberal arts and politics. They have never done anything relating to how to please your man or make him jealous. You're thinking of Cosmopolitan. Get it right next time or you just help to prove what people are saying above about Maxim readers...

Posted by: Jenn | September 21, 2006 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Responding to any so-called "writing" in Maxim is as dumb as Maxim is itself. I had a gift subscription and while I do know at least one person who actually reads the thing (the friend who gave me the subscription!) it was never any good for more than a casual look through the bikini babes and latest electronics gear.

Given some of the cologne and clothing ads I'd have to conclude they probably have a substantial gay readership. Maybe that's where the misogynistic side comes from.

Posted by: Error Flynn | September 21, 2006 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Dude, if you have ever read Maxim, this list shouldn't come as too much of a surprise. The "writers", like their readership, are only attracted to women they can feel superior to-- as of writing, their website's No 1 hottie was Jessica Simpson, whom, while pretty (if plastic) is not funny, interesting or intelligent. A flesh and blood blow-up doll. Perfect if you're basically afraid of women, real women, with opinions and sexuality. Although, I have to admit, Nancy Grace annoys the tits off me too.

Posted by: rae | September 21, 2006 1:37 PM | Report abuse

it's funny. i hate maxim and how stupid it seems to think men are, but i went through this, and they actually made a salient political point:

10. Christiane Amanpour, CNN
If we want incisive reporting on whatever region in the world happens to be blowing up, we'll turn to the stern, forbidding Amanpour and her boxy haircut. If we want a foot massage, we'll turn to Fox News and its chorus line of teleprompter showgirls.

aside from the haircut thing, couldn't have said it better myself. as for the rest of the list, well, they have atrocious taste in women over there anyway. my husband and his friends drool like newborns over tina fey, and it just seems like this is a lazy and juvenile publicity stunt. and hey, what do you know? it worked.

Posted by: bamagirlinVA | September 21, 2006 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Women who use their sexuality to get ahead are not the women that I defend, JMolay. I don't support those who are happy to stay in the place where men put them a long time ago. I like those who make up their own rules based on intelligence and responsibility.

Too bad lazy people think that saying that everything sucks, and that women are no worse then men, it's being smart and edgy. Instead is depressing, useless, and deeply wrong in its generalizations. There are great women and great men out there, thankfully.

Posted by: lajules | September 21, 2006 1:42 PM | Report abuse

It's a JOKE - if you don't like it, don't read it, and don't get all offended that some people like to treat their inner 14-year-old to a little shallow humor once in awhile. Sheesh...

Posted by: Rossyln | September 21, 2006 1:46 PM | Report abuse

bamagirlinVA makes an excellent point. How much publicity would Maxim have gotten if their 10 most unattractive women really were unattractive? Print the headline, Madonna is a ho, and no one will even bother to read the article. Print instead, Laura Bush is a ho, and Liz Kelley will blog about it. As they say, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Posted by: kt | September 21, 2006 1:47 PM | Report abuse

The Post just did an entire male-bashing article on bad dates in the Sunday Source. Good for Maxim if they dis women, because in Medialand, everything every woman does is wonderful and all men are evil. This is why Medialand is going down the tubes and only the elderly subscribe to newspapers anymore.

Posted by: Dennis B | September 21, 2006 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, everyone, even the enlightened feminists and lesbians (more than slightly overlapping groups, btw) who chimed in. I love how everyone who claims that we shouldn't reduce other beings to their mere physical beauty are so quick to assume that that's what Maxim is doing. Yes, I realize it's Maxim, and that's their oeuvre, but, as Liz notes, it's a list of the "10 Least APPEALING Women" -- not the least pretty, not the least hot, not the least sexy. Appeal is an incredibly subjective quality, folks, and it includes any number of attributes, not just the physical, which almost everyone seems to be focusing on.

The list of women DO, in fact, possess a number of quality, either physical or otherwise, that make them quite unappealing TO MEN. And, what do you know, women don't seem to want to accept the idea that men can find women who THEY like to be unappealing for reasons other than their physical attributes. Like I said, some of the women on the list are there because they are deemed to not be very physically attractive according to the current "standards", but a number of them are there because they are just annoying (Fey, Sidaris, Drescher: I'm looking at you).

To build on the earlier observation, this thread has turned the list into "10 Women who Appeal to Other Women that Men Don't Find So Appealing", which, on reflection, is much to erudite a title for anything that would ever appear in Maxim.

(Oh, and to the poster upstream who thinks I need more America Ferrera in my life -- have already labored through "Real Women Have Curves" and "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" (damn that was a looong flight), not to mention Shrek 1 and 2, I've had my fill, thanks. And before you say it's a "size" thing, back off -- for example: Sara Rue rocks my world.)

Posted by: Party of One | September 21, 2006 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Amy Sedaris and Tina Fey????? They must be out of their *&%$ing minds. I agree with several previous posters. These are intelligent and attractive women. If you want to turn in your library card for these women, please, give it to me. I'd prefer these women over Paris Hilton or Tara Reid any day of the week.

Posted by: Evan L | September 21, 2006 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Im glad somebody has the guts to stick up for men and criticize women. Its so PC these days to make women out to be perfect, when in fact most of them are selfish, rude and self centered. My petite wife often gets pushed around and bullied by such women. Congrats Maxim, in pointing out that many women do have flaws.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2006 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I spent too much time in the desert, but I'll take Tina Fey over a Jessica Simpson anyday. I guess I am not intimidated by intelligent women like Maxim readers. But then again, I do not live in my Mother's basement like they do either.

Posted by: Iraqi Vet | September 21, 2006 2:10 PM | Report abuse

The publicity is useful. It tells us women: if you see that a guy subscribes to Maxim, you know his head is still in high school, and he is hiding his "trembling manhood" (thanks, New Haven CT) behind the bold and smart move of joking about a scar or other petty aspect of appearance. He will crumble at the first physical imperfection, yours or his. Check the manhood thing.

Posted by: moxie | September 21, 2006 2:31 PM | Report abuse

"My petite wife often gets pushed around and bullied by such women."

Women like Peggy Hill, Tina Fey, and Nancy Grace are picking on your wife? Sir, I think she needs more help than you know.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2006 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Tina Fey is superficially attractive (without the stoopid glasses) in a really accessible kind of way. She's cute without being sooooo good looking so that your average guy can delude himself he's got a shot.

What makes her repulsive is every time she opens her mouth. As someone pointed out above, her smug, self-satisfied "my crap don't stink" attitude wears thin after about, oh, 10 seconds.

Posted by: moron | September 21, 2006 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I bet the writers of that magazine aren't too hot looking themselves.

Posted by: betty | September 21, 2006 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Are you surprised? Consider your typical Maxxim reader qua lout. Consider Tina Fey, Christiane, Amy Sedaris -- smart, witty, articulate, sexy women who can park their Jimmy Choos by my study carrel any time. Of course the Maxxin dudes are totally intimidated and lash out like the perpetual adolescents they are. Too bad, boys. More smart, hot women for real men.

Posted by: Michael | September 21, 2006 2:47 PM | Report abuse

The only thing hot about Tina Fey is the coffee she holds in the morning. The New Yorker article about her didn't lend any new hotness either, despite its picture. Amy, her co-anchor, on the other hand definitely looks like she knows how to put a book down.

Posted by: Annandale | September 21, 2006 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Dude, did Tina like totally turn you down or what?

This is really lame. Tina Fey simply is not very attractive, and the point Maxim is making (which was probably written by a woman, by the way) is that she amps up her "beauty" by relying on corny props and boldness. One need not be turned down by her and resentful for it to think she isn't attractive, because she actually isn't attractive.

Posted by: Gimicky Glasses do not equal Beauty | September 21, 2006 2:51 PM | Report abuse

PAM GRIER? Ms. Foxy Brown herself. Sure she has gained some weight since her twenties...but I think she has held up quite well since the seventies certainly compared to her peers.

Posted by: CD | September 21, 2006 2:53 PM | Report abuse

"Maxim jumped the shark years ago. It was about the time that most people realized that all they do is recycle their articles about how to be awesome in bed, score with the ladies, throw a killer party, get rid of your gut, etc.....Anyone that's out of college and still "reads" Maxim is a complete moron."

If you switch the gender they address, can't the same be said for Glamour and Cosmo?

Anyone, in OR past college is a moron for reading that stuff.

Posted by: stacey | September 21, 2006 2:53 PM | Report abuse

So the "Maxim" writers are ugly louts is about as lame as Tina Fey's fey glasses.

Posted by: The Writers of Maxim are often female | September 21, 2006 2:53 PM | Report abuse

OK..Ya gotta give the something for Nancy Grace being on the list!

Posted by: Murf | September 21, 2006 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Saweet! What a great article. Keep 'em coming Maxim. I LOVE YOU!

Posted by: Matty | September 21, 2006 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Pam Grier? are you kidding me?!?!?! She even got better with age. This is why I subscribe to King Magazine

Posted by: RJ Fox | September 21, 2006 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Tina Fey? Fran Drescher? Are they nuts? Every guy "Spinal Tap" fan I know LOVES Fran Drescher based on her performance in that movie. And the Tina Yothers-bashing is just mean--she was a kid. She wasn't supposed to look like a Maxim model.

I never had a problem with Maxim before but this is pretty tasteless, very mean-spirited and misogynistic.

Posted by: NYC | September 21, 2006 2:57 PM | Report abuse

You gotta admit: they got Nancy Grace right.All I need to do is just channel surf past her, and mine shrivels. What a sexless bimbo!

Posted by: Jack Logan | September 21, 2006 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Where's Bea Arthur? She could make a maggot puke.

Posted by: Unkotabete | September 21, 2006 3:15 PM | Report abuse

The best part of this list is that it probably was compiled by women. Party of One hit the nail right on the head in his 1:57pm. Please read it before any more of you post half cocked. I would like to see the explanation that was given for each woman. Tina Fey, IMHO isn't a reason to watch SNL. I would LOVE to know Amy Sederis, as she is very funny to me (check out a great article in BUST), but the person they put on this list is Jerri Blank (which was a ex junkie/loser on Strangers with Candy-someone I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.) Like a previous poster, I have no clue how Ann Coulter escaped this list. I find Nancy Grace head and shoulders above The Godless Skeletor. Not really sure why Pam Greier was on there;had there been a 70's Maxim, she would have been on the cover multiple times by now. Smart, funny, and attractive? Beth Littleford.

Posted by: Zamora | September 21, 2006 3:18 PM | Report abuse

whatever those writers are probably some ugly louts. get over it.

Posted by: betty | September 21, 2006 3:18 PM | Report abuse

This is a new low for Maxim. I can not believe that they, the staff, would sink so low.

Posted by: Tera | September 21, 2006 3:21 PM | Report abuse

"Sounds like Tina Fey is threatening to Bush supporters. Is it the thinking part, or the sex part?"

How is it you guys always manage to work Bush into your ramblings?

I think the list is the workings of Karl Rove (BOO!!!!).

Posted by: Lord Haw Haw | September 21, 2006 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I can barely contain my horror at this list. Yes, Maxim is a magazine with a specific target audience and those readers are likely to find this article amusing, while those (like me) who are disgusted by it probably never read Maxim in the first place. And Maxim, like many magazines targeted at both men and women, has long created lists of the MOST attractive people - something which I have a problem with, since our culture needs to get past its crass obsession with looks. This particular list offends me because I don't understand the point - why rip into women because you find them unattractive? That's not only immature, it's also sexist - it's a way for the male editors and readers of Maxim to assert that they have the authority to decide who isn't attractive and then publicly humiliate these women. You don't have to find them physically attractive. You don't have to find their personalities attractive. But to criticize anyone for their looks - especially some of the smartest, funniest, most talented women around (says something about a guy who would rather watch sensationalist drivel on Fox because there are hot chicks rather than watch hard news), is a terrible low. I would despise a women's mag that did that to men and I abhor Maxim for doing this to women.

Posted by: Sara | September 21, 2006 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Sara, I despise people like you. All talk, no research. I think the general consensus with most people is, it is "wrong" to criticize someone for their genetic makeup. It is NOT wrong to criticize someone for their poor fashion sense (I'm looking at you Bluto) or self mutilation (I'm looking at you Michael Jackson.) I wont even attack Maxim. They are in the business to sell magazines. If their job is to "stir the pot" then I guess they did a good job right (87 posts is rare for this blog) To say anyone is attractive or unattractive is what we like to commonly refer to as an "opinion"- It can still be disputed until the end of time.

Posted by: Zamora | September 21, 2006 3:38 PM | Report abuse

This is an awesome discussion and us folks over at Maxim.com really appreciate it. The one thing some of you peeps are missing, though, is it's "Least Appealing" not "Least Attractive," and that's a big distinction. Almost all of these women are brilliant and very lovely. (Except Nancy Grace. We truly hate her.) But the bulk of these women remind us of mom or our sisters, as opposed to someone that exudes sex like most TV personalities are paid to do. Example: We'd love to hang and drink with Calamity Jane, but that's where the night would end.
Regardless, keep talking and we'll be sure to come up with more stuff to make you hate us even more that we hate Nancy Grace.
Kisses!
Maxim.com Editors

Posted by: Maxim.com | September 21, 2006 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Maxim is so stupid. I would definitely tap Fran Drescher if she had a paper bag over her head. And Tina Fey would be satisfying cause you could just rail away while she made sarcastic comments. What a bunch of idiots.

Posted by: Phil Blunts | September 21, 2006 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Ditto what the others said - How could Ann Coulter have NOT made the list? She should be #1!

Posted by: dcmichelle | September 21, 2006 3:52 PM | Report abuse

According to Maxim, women like Pam Grier remind them of their moms or sisters.......

Really?

Do kindly place pictures and list the phone numbers of your mothers and sisters in the next issue.

Someone's gotta love these unappealing women, right?

Posted by: A hitman | September 21, 2006 3:57 PM | Report abuse

wow most of you are narrow.

i have a master's degree. drink expensive wine. have manners. never watch sports on tv.

Posted by: sigh | September 21, 2006 4:08 PM | Report abuse

The thing that is most surprising is that it is just downright mean -- I mean, is Tina Yothers even working anymore? At least have the fairness to pick on someone successful. And Pam Grier looks great.

Posted by: Olive | September 21, 2006 4:22 PM | Report abuse

OK, Holier than thou posters, who do YOU think are the 10 least appealing women on TV? If everyone and their mother has a "10 hottest" or "10 sexiest" celebrity lists, then appeal can be quantified and categorized. So they picked the bottom of that list instead of the top. Like the Razzies, which no one takes seriously either. Big deal.

Why is the 10 least appealing so distasteful and worthy of such vitriol? Because Fran Drescher might find out that her voice has an irritating nasal quality? God forbid she find out, because no one's ever written that about her before.

Is Maxim sophomoric? Yes. But half the posts here are just saying that Tina Fey is hot (as a side note, she may be on the list because she snubbed Maxim in some way after the photoshopped picture last year) which tells me that the 10 Least Attractive isn't taboo. Just that y'all disagree with their choices. So I'll ask again, who do you think are the 10 least attractive women on TV?

Posted by: Main Street | September 21, 2006 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Someone way up above asked about Tina Fey and scars: she has a very old scar across her face. I didn't even notice it until I read the New Yorker profile. (She refused to say what it was from, just that it was very old.) Now that I know it's there, it totally jumps out at me every time I see her.

Posted by: h3 | September 21, 2006 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Sure, but a list of the 10 Least Appealing Men on TV would be riotous, wouldn't it? Spare me the double standards. Everyone would love to get a laugh out of David Hasselhoff, Hulk Hogan or Ryan Seacrest and you know it because you would too.

Stop having your feminist civil rights moment every time a woman (or women) is criticized. Fey is a horrendous comedian and should be ashamed she turned in all those awful years of SNL as it's head writer. On top of that, she's not hot. There's nothing intriguing or sexy about her, at least from the perspective of a viewer. She may or may not be a lovely lady in person, but on tv she (and most of that other list) blow. Get over it.

And besides, it's Maxim, not the New Yorker. Why on earth are you listening to people who don't even take themselves seriously?

Posted by: Sellout | September 21, 2006 4:33 PM | Report abuse

All the male readers of Maxim that I've encountered in DC are of Generation-Y age....which only prooves to me that while they whine for more responsibility and bigger salaries, they should get neither, staying in the copy-rooms and behind the barista counters serving lattes, until they mature.....

Posted by: GenX-Soul | September 21, 2006 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Surprising how PC the list is, actually. Get a group of real frat boys together -- there would be no qualifiers about Pam Grier, no concessions to Amanpour. Maxim can't even succeed on its own terms.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2006 4:36 PM | Report abuse

As a 26 year old male, I have to disagree with Maxim here. I would knock kick Tina Fey out of my bed, I'd revel in it.

Posted by: Matt | September 21, 2006 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, having a library card is what makes a person appealing. Oh yeah, and drawing conclusions about how insecure other people are. Doest thou protest too much? Gilbert Gottfried was anointed the most un-appealing male in America a few months ago. That article must have been written by a bunch of beer swilling, balding, basement recluse chicks, yeah! Pshaw, Post readers need to wake up and understand that the world is not made up of downtown liberals who blog, go to art museums (presumably to appreciate physical beauty) and revel in their own sheltered "enlightenment". People like what they like, and its definitely more depressing that you think you get to decide whether what appeals to others is "legit" or not. Honestly, Who is the one feeling threatened by all this? You can give a monkey a library card, it only means he can check out books.

Posted by: Randy | September 21, 2006 4:49 PM | Report abuse

This is self-contradictory, but we shouldn't be talking about this. That dumb list only serves to create attention for a magazine that none of would talk about otherwise. Buzz generates sales - we're talking about it and now they are making money. Leave it alone and they might go away.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2006 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I think the whole point of the piece has nothing to do with physical beauty. It says "least appealing" not least hot. I think they are saying these are attractive women, too bad they are just damn annoying.

Posted by: Robbie | September 21, 2006 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Irony? or Hypocrisy? I would guess both.

Seriously, from a column entitled "Celebritology" with recent "useful" tidbits such as...."Did Britney have a tummy tuck following birth of baby no. 2?... Aaron Carter engaged to Playboy Playmate?... Paris Hilton denied entry to New York hot spot... Tara Reid has implants reduced..." I wouldn't expect stones to be thrown at a publication such as Maxim. In fact, I think "Celebritology," would fit perfectly in Maxim.

On second thought, maybe "irony" or "hypocrisy" arent the right words.

Maybe, "envy" since Maxim came up with such a shallow and useless column before you did.

Posted by: Orson72 | September 21, 2006 4:52 PM | Report abuse

In my experience, men (yes, ALL men!) have generally been shallow, selfish, and just plain awful, so this makes perfect sense! Even self-professed "sensitive" guys pig it up just as much as the Maxim crew ... at least those guys wear their bikini-lovin', "Man Show"-manifesto'd hearts on their sleeves, so us girls know to hightail it the other way when we see 'em coming.

By the way, I get told all the time that I look like Tina Fey.

Posted by: yesisaidit | September 21, 2006 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I think the whole point of the piece has nothing to do with physical beauty. It says "least appealing" not least hot. I think they are saying these are attractive women, too bad they are just really annoying.

Posted by: Robbie | September 21, 2006 4:52 PM | Report abuse

No need to add a comment. Your post was right on.

(And smart women are sexy. ;-) Maxim's "writers" seem to feel differently - in addition to not being able to tell fictional characters from real people...)

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2006 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Quote:
"wow most of you are narrow.

and read maxim occasionally. it's funny. or at least used to be, it's gone downhill. but if it offends you, or think only louts read it, get a life. who wants to be with people who take things so seriously?"

yeah, real classy. Punctuate much?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2006 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Maxim is undoubtedly looking for some exposure on Saturday Night Live news update.

Posted by: Carol | September 21, 2006 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Poster Randy had it right - Sara Jessica Parker belongs on the top of this list. And to everyone offended by this kind of humor, do us all a favor and shut your mouths. If you don't get it, you have no place commenting on it. You won't see me cluttering up the discussions boards at jazz Web sites, so return the favor and don't shoot your mouth off because you're over-sensitive.

Posted by: Irish | September 21, 2006 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I see only two who belong on the list.
Fran Dresher that "nasal bray" is like fingernails on a chalkboard. She's very attractive until she opens her mouth.

Nancy Grace, as one reviewer put it, belongs in a courtroom with a judge that will rake her over the coals every hour on the hour for her over the top prosecutorial style. It may have caused one of her guests to committ suicide last week. Her show had the bad taste to show the interview after the women died.

Posted by: Sue Lee | September 21, 2006 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I have been a Maxim reader from time to time. I still can't find a clear cut reason as to how the candidates for this abuse were chosen. But Pam Grier, give me a break. They must not have been to the movies. Come on now, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, Coffy, Sheba Baby, Foxy Brown, Jackie Brown. I would assume the selection process was by blindfold and darts. They need to try again.

Posted by: G.L. | September 21, 2006 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I live in DC and have to deal with these educated, snooty liberal feminists all the time (esp. when in college). They are very transparent and I can guarantee all the ones mouthing off in this comments section secretly want a drunken, arrogant man as opposed to some sensitive weakling they all profess to dream about. Youre a bunch of clowns and need to get over yourselves.

Posted by: Phil Blunt | September 21, 2006 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey Phil Blunt, I bet you're one of those fat, balding, crybaby white men who has to go to Russia to find a woman.

Posted by: Fred | September 21, 2006 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Tina Fey ROCKS!! Maxim is just one of those skin mags for sexually active 3rd-graders.

Posted by: Swoosh | September 21, 2006 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Every day, it's mostly men who go out and fight fires, protect the country, and put their lives on the line in road crews and working construction. Yet when men get peeves by self-obsessed American women, they're accused of being "trembling" and "frightened" and "threatened."

We're not threatened. We're annoyed be the arrogance of the media-fed, shoe-obssessed women of America. The idea of men being "threatened" was a feminist lie -- like the lie (see Snopes!) that more women are abused on Superbowl Sunday.

Posted by: Dennis B | September 21, 2006 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Great point about Sarah Jessica Parker, Irish. She'll make the next list, no doubt.

For those who want to get mad as us for the exact opposite reason, check out The Sexiest TV Anchors: http://www.maximonline.com/slideshows/index.aspx?imgCollectId=121

The rest of you can go back to fantasizing about our moms and continuing your study at the Nancy Grace School of Internet Posting. Judge away, smart people!
Kisses AND Hugs,
Maxim.com Editors

Posted by: Maxim.com | September 21, 2006 5:34 PM | Report abuse

These guys are losers anyway, and wouldnt know good taste if it hit them smack in the face, obviousely they cant get laid that is why they are working for a trashy magazine!

Posted by: ALG | September 21, 2006 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey Phil, have another drink. You had me at liberal feminists.

Posted by: girl | September 21, 2006 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I would like to see a list of TV's least appealing men. Maybe someone who can spell, punctuate and divine the mysteries of syntax could write it. Which would eliminate most of the morons commenting on this list. Maxim is so for sissy boys who are terrified of women who aren't airburshed paper dollies. And those paper dollies are out of their league.

Posted by: I-Girl | September 21, 2006 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Thank G-d I'm a lesbian.

Posted by: Erin | September 21, 2006 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Tina Fey blows. Obnoxious, UNFUNNY, and not attractive. Most thinking men want to screw bimbos, not weird librarian chicks. Just ask your resident feminazi.

Nancy Grace? A shrill nightmare that will drive you to suicide.

Christiane Amanpour? A mule-faced TV personality who thinks she's more important than God.

Face it. These people made their money on TELEVISION. They are not astrophysicists, philosophers, or intellectuals who are saving the world. They are not teachers or doctors bettering people's lives. They are self-serving celebs making the moola hand over fist by prancing around on the tube and celebrating their own wonderfulness.

So, their looks, attitude, and other superficial shortcomings are all FAIR GAME in TV-land. And Maxim called it like most men see it.

The real question is why the Post has becoming a launching pad for nasty feminist attacks on men who read magazines.

Posted by: Liz is a shrill feminista pig | September 21, 2006 6:45 PM | Report abuse

*******************************************************************
Top Five Least Attractive Women of the Washington Post
*******************************************************************

5. Jeanne Marie "Today I Made Some Noodles for Alex and Ruminated on the Meaning of It All (sigh)" Laskas

4. Liz "Oh My God!" Kelly

3. Carolyn "The Breeder" "I have more pics than anyone else but I still look like a horse" Hax

2. Ombudsman Deborah "Shut Up, I am always right" Howell

1. "On Balance" blogger Leslie "My Husband is a Limp-Dicked Loser Who Won't Breastfeed My Children While I Conquer the Earth" Steiner

0. Gene Weingarten (self-explanatory)

Posted by: Maxim Guy | September 21, 2006 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Maxim = trash!

Posted by: Jeff | September 21, 2006 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Jeff = Gay

Posted by: Bob | September 21, 2006 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Gene is a hunk!

Posted by: GW | September 21, 2006 7:09 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather be gay than trash any day :-)

Posted by: Jeff | September 21, 2006 7:22 PM | Report abuse

As awesome as it was, Pam Grier was not in Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.

Tina Fey is smug and giggles at her own jokes because she's funny. The news segment on SNL was the only reason I'd tune in to watch that show. She's also made several references to how she's not "appealing" on SNL, so Maxim is beating a dead horse(face) as it were. I think she's pretty hot. People such as Randy who say she's not hot state it as if their opinion is an agreed-upon fact when it's just their opinion. Please come to this realization. cc: Right-wing radio is not news, it's entertainment.

I love how some people in this comments section are snarking at feminazis and the Post and people who read the post when they're, oh, I don't know, reading the Post's website. Especially the Celebritology section. I'll take Blatant Hypocrisy for $400, Alex.

I knew someone who worked at Maxim a few years ago and I saw their offices and the people who work there. Gay guys and "unappealing" straight guys were the major bulk of the writing staff.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2006 7:40 PM | Report abuse

yesisaidit....meet Erin. I believe you both have something in common? Why don't you find a vegan restaurant/her-story bookstore, share a cup of white tea and listen to a little Indigo Girls together? Lord knows you wouldn't want any "MEN" to disturb your piece of the goddess-hood on earth while you contemplate the sheer horror of the male id. *sheesh* Get a life you group of whiney crybabies. And while you're at it....get a sense of humour that doesn't involve ballbusting.

Posted by: Chaz | September 21, 2006 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Maxim's press release did manage to get a Washington Post writer to give it free publicity and 100s more people to think about the magazine today. Proves the maxim that any publicity is good publicity.

Posted by: Tom | September 21, 2006 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Nobody reads that crap except the dimwit guys who spend "all day," Saturday and Sunday, watching sports.

Posted by: Shag | September 21, 2006 7:52 PM | Report abuse

I'll be honest, Tina Fey isn't attractive to me...whatsoever...I think she makes SNL unfunnier than it was without her..BUT..I don't think she should be on that list...definitely not Pam Grier...but one important thing we should all remember before responding like this list insulted us personally, is...this is Maxim...who knew there were even words in there?? take it for what it is..its not for lesbians, its not for feminists..(Thats who the Lifetime channel is for)..if you can't laugh at it...PUT THE MAGAZINE DOWN AND STEP OUT OF THE 7-ELEVEN!!

Posted by: JustaGuy | September 21, 2006 7:56 PM | Report abuse

To the person who asked about the scar -- she doesn't talk about where it came from, but in an NYT article she said it was from a grim childhood incident and she doesn't talk about it because it bums her parents out. She usually wears a ton of pancake to cover it up, so you have to look for it to see it. So it's extra-classy of Maxim to bust on her for what was likely a traumatic childhood event.

Posted by: girl | September 21, 2006 8:02 PM | Report abuse

None of the ladies on this list should worry, Justin Timberlake's bringing sexy back.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2006 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Tina Fey? you have got to be kidding. I am male/50, in TEXAS, and she is great.

Totally agree on Nancy Grace.

Posted by: jack | September 21, 2006 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey, you have to encourage folks to read somehow. For the Maxim demographic, however, they probably need to use easier words. Those guys are obviously not Rhodes scholars.

Posted by: Alice | September 21, 2006 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Tina Fey is smart & hot - what could be sexier?

Nancy Grace is a (sensationalistic) hag.

Posted by: RhumbLine | September 21, 2006 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Am I to assume that the same liberal feminist-slanted male-bashing media some of you are referring to is the same media where every sitcom features an "unappealing" fat, dumpy guy with an unproportionately thin and attractive wife?

Chaz - Which came first, your lezzie-centric misogyny or women becoming lezzies because of you?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2006 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who giggled at Tina Fey's jokes (outside of Tina of course) couldn't be expected to grasp satire. Lighten up ya goofball, it's Maxim not The New Yorker. And like seriously, Liz, are you, like related to one of these "hotties" or what?

Posted by: Bman | September 21, 2006 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Tinya Fey is smokin' hot. Pam Grier - who are they kidding?

I saw Robin Weigert on one of their premiere party "Buzz" things, and she looks nothing like the character - she's beautiful.

I doubt Maxim's worried by the complaints, though. As another poster wrote, it's all free publicity.

Posted by: Post reader | September 21, 2006 9:22 PM | Report abuse

What's funny about Maxim is that it isn't even all that raunchy. Isn't the core demographic actually 16-year-olds who are terrified of women?

I didn't check the list. But I've read a lot about Amy Sedaris and she's hot and probably smarter than the entire Maxim editorial staff. And with bigger balls.

Posted by: Tom | September 21, 2006 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I think a photograph of the author should accompany this article.

Posted by: Banjo | September 21, 2006 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I guess the schlep reading the magazine is supposed to think the schleps who put this piece together get to hang out with the hot chicks that appear in the magazine.
Guffaw.
Really, I can't even summon a modicum of annoyance over the article. It contriubtes far more to enviromental damage in the form of wasted trees than it does to sexism. Of the slides I flicked through the captions were far less insulting than I expected. They were also far less funny than they could have been.

Posted by: NII | September 21, 2006 10:12 PM | Report abuse

I was drawn like a moth to a flame. Was a Washington Post blogger actually taking a Maxim "top ten" list to task? It's good to see intriguing and insightful content on such a noble newspaper's web site.

You are all a bunch of tools.

Posted by: adolph noodlemeyer | September 21, 2006 10:12 PM | Report abuse

the list is ridiculous. so are the buffoons who suggest that this is a gop vs democrat thing or a right wing vs left wing issue. lefties - put your daggers away on this one. blame maxim not bush.

Posted by: stanley | September 21, 2006 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Maxim posted twice. 156 entries by the time I arrived. People constantly judge each other, am I supposed to be offended by this? There is no gender preference for judging each other. I have never so much as cracked open a copy of Maxim, but I might now. What great advertising and it didn't cost a dime!

Is there really a need to rid the world of puerile behavior? Is it necessary to disavow sports because you might be considered less intelligent? George Mitchell and George Will might have a differing opinion on that issue than some who posted here.
Going to an art museum and watching football on Saturday and Sunday are not mutually exclusive. I can peruse Maxim and read David Broder. Wow, what a concept.

Posted by: cactusflinthead | September 21, 2006 11:13 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE the list. Anything that doesn't attack white males...aaaagain... gets my vote!

Posted by: PW | September 21, 2006 11:18 PM | Report abuse

After viewing MAXIM the first time several years ago, my initial response was that "Attention Deficit Journal" would be a more fitting name, as there's nothing uncondensed or otherwise untailored for the juvenile demographic targeted. I'd be very surprised if any of the nonfictional women listed take MAXIM seriously enough to be offended...

Posted by: Pete | September 21, 2006 11:38 PM | Report abuse

I love Tina Fey -- smart and attractive and, I bet, a really nice person. Marry me Tina (ok, you're going to have to dump the current hubby). Kisses, kisses, kisses.

Posted by: Rufus | September 21, 2006 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Good thing we women don't do lists of this nature very often for TV's Least Attractive Men. Where would one even begin? It would have to be a five-part series with forty or fifty men per installment. And the top 100 or so spots on the list could very easily be taken solely by male newsanchors. Christiane Amanpour was the only bearable part of watching cable news torwards the end, right before I quit altogether.

As for the handing over of library cards- Who are you trying to kid, Maxim? You have no library cards, and we kno know it.I doubt the majority of Maxim's most loyal readers could spell the word "library" correctly without their girlfriend's help.

Speaking of girlfriends- good luck with that. Not that it's needed. Because really, what in the world is could be sexier than a man who tosses out his library card watch FauxNews.

Posted by: Sarah | September 22, 2006 1:28 AM | Report abuse

Sarah,

You say:

"Good thing we women don't do lists of this nature very often for TV's Least Attractive Men. "

It wouldn't matter. Women may date good looking guys, but they marry successful guys and have their children. That's why guys don't care about looks. Girls don't either, not when it comes right down to it.

I'll say it again... Christiane Amanpour is an odd looking person, but her job is as a reporter, so I'm not sure why anyone cares about her looks.

Posted by: Bunkley | September 22, 2006 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Dennis B's comment at 1:51 PM on Sept 21 is right on. I recall well the relatively recent Post article on dating-written entirely from the woman's point of view- about all the things women find ridiculous about the male idiots who want to spend their hard-earned money taking the women out. And that said women then share publicly with their compatriots. "Omigod, Caitlin--and then--his shoes!!! I couldn't bearrr it!". There was no generalized eruption in the letters column of male fury at that one; men tend to say, "oh, well, what the hell?" and let it roll off. So grin and bear it, ladies. Or womyn.

Posted by: plaw03 | September 22, 2006 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone reading a celebrity blog really get this uppity about "shallow, trashy" cheap shots intended to outrage? It's all mindless, folks. Talk about misplaced sentiment...

And, seriously... Christiane Amanpour... "stunning?" Take off the news goggles, fella.

Posted by: Umm... | September 22, 2006 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Postscript:

In today's San Fran Chronicle, Leah Garchik (who writes a kind of about-town column chronicling the sassy, contrarian attitude that Bay Area residents think is theirs) has the following:

[this, in a centered, framed, highlighted box in the middle of the last page, entitled "Public Eavesdropping"]:

"'He was so badly dressed and so utterly dim-witted that I just assumed he was straight. But no--he's gay"' One woman to another, overheard in the Plush Room at the York Hotel by Elizabeth Sanchez'

I can only hope that Ms. Sanchez and her companion are spared the ugliness of the Maxim article.

Posted by: plaw03 | September 22, 2006 12:06 PM | Report abuse

"...get a sense of humour that doesn't involve ballbusting."

You have to have them in order to have them busted.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 22, 2006 12:34 PM | Report abuse

"You have to have them in order to have them busted."

...she said as she drove to the home her husband provided in the BMW her husband bought for her. She was so exhausted working out at the gym (using the membership that he bought for her) and was feeling a little wired after the latte that ultimately her husband paid for.

What would you do if guys came to their senses and hired a housekeeper and baby sitter?

Posted by: RightSaidFred | September 22, 2006 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Heck, I think Tina's smokin' hot...and, Tina, if you ever want to have your way with me, well, you know where to find me! ;-)

Posted by: Brent | September 22, 2006 1:44 PM | Report abuse

If those two posts above really are from the maxim.com editors, I hope they're laughing all the way to the bank. I don't think (or hope) anyone really looks to Maxim for profound insights into humanity, and their "10 Least Appealing" was truly amusing (Kudos on all but Pam Grier, whose history ought to count for something).

If they really are the editors, and if they're still reading, could you rank Female Political Pundits next? I'm really torn who I rather watch with the mute button on: Michelle Malkin or Ann Coulter. I look to Maxim for guidance on this weighty issue. :)

Posted by: Ken | September 22, 2006 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Pam Grier and Tina Fey? What are they on crack?

Posted by: G Man | September 22, 2006 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Liz: At first, this just monumentally pissed me off. Then, it made me laugh. Is this really the best they could come up w/? I'm just sorry you gave these losers the publicity.

I loved the idea of starting a list of ugly men on TV. Please, Liz, can you make it official? Limit it to 100. Start w/ ugly news guys. Heck, CBS alone could populate quite a number of the spots--Andy Rooney, Mike Wallace, Steve Croft, etc. There's no shortage of truly uuuugly men out there.

Posted by: sn | September 22, 2006 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Maxim was way off the mark, but it's not exactly the pinnacle of class itself, nor am I for that matter. Here are my 10 least appealing women on TV (and I think you'll find that looks don't seem to factor in.) I hope no one finds these offensive, at least not too offensive.

1. Nancy Grace - When Maxim's right, it's right
2. Star Jones - Too easy, maybe. Deserved, yes
3. Joan Rivers - Please, can we talk? No
4. Melissa Rivers - No comment needed
5. Girls Next Door - I like Hef, but c'mon, the three of them only merit one spot here
6. Paris Hilton - Too many faults to list
7. Nicole Ritchie - Famous for being the sidekick to an idiot
8. Jillian Barbarie - Do we really need a weather forecast for football games?
9. The "women" of Flava of Love - Any semblance of self-respect was thrown out of the window when VH1 green-lighted this show
10. Tori Spelling - Her father was famous for producing things of low quality, on and off screen.
HM: Jennifer Love Hewitt - Sorry, just not a fan.

Posted by: Charles | September 22, 2006 3:41 PM | Report abuse

The people who are offended by the Maxim article need to see a therapist to uncover their latent hypocritical views on beauty. Maxim is fairly benign schlock compared to the racks and racks of feminine interest magazines (Glamour, Vogue, their knock-offs and bridal magazines) that purport to inform women on how to look beautiful for anyone but themselves. Read any fashion magazine and it's all about hot to get someone interested in you (just so you can have some approval and self-worth, make men interested in you, and how to look emaciated. One can hardly find an article about being truly happy and at peace about oneself without an ulterior motive. The fashion "industry" wields more power than any men's magazine in shaping (read brainwashing) young women into becoming women who are increasingly materialistic, shallow, selfish, and having low self-worth in the end. The anorexia and low self-esteem epidemics accompanied by the increasingly poor choices young women make today concerning their bodies are far more real than the fantasy that Maxim tries to create. I'd rather see a fantasy created in a magazine than a reality one sees everday on a "fashion runway."
Thank you.

Posted by: Jai | September 22, 2006 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Ken, that's not a bad idea at all. In fact, we're gonna be putting something like that up in time for the November elections.

Charles, great call on Melissa Rivers.

Finally...at least for now...everyone's going on about a list of unappealing men. That's not what we do because almost all guys are unappealing to us and themselves. (Except for Steve Buscemi. He's got an ass like a Jell-O teardrop!) But, if you're really keyed on unearthing such a list, hit up one of the millions of gossip sites/mags that beat up on celebs for a living. Contrary to popular belief (at least on this thread) it's not our area of expertise. We're only good at hatin' on Nancy Grace and being unattractive in our parent's basement.

Toodles till someone says something else that makes us giggle,
Maxim.com Editors

Posted by: Maxim.com | September 22, 2006 5:12 PM | Report abuse

"Tina, if you ever want to have your way with me, well, you know where to find me! ;-)"

- Brent

That's right, Tina! If you need him, you know just where to find this blog poster unidentified by anything more than what's likely a wholly fabricated pseudonym!

Posted by: Umm... | September 22, 2006 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the amazing comments everybody! Especially those with a feminist slant. You've really forced me to examine my feelings about these stupid sexist top ten lists in Maxim magazine. In the past whenever I'd see one of these lists in my frat house, it was like I was under a spell. I'd not only accept the list as absolute truth, but I would go so far as to hand out copies to other impressionable young male friends who were also in the process of forming their opinions on gender issues.

Now after reading this thread, I see things very differently -- it was wrong of me to go around saying Sarah Jessica Parker looks like a horse faced dog. Thanks to Randy's post above, instead I'll say she looks like Martha Raye as Witchie-poo from HR Pufnstuff. And as for Tin Fey, I used to think she was about as attractive as my high school football defensive line coach. But you gals have convinced me that being smug and unfunny is actually pretty hot!

Posted by: marcelduchamp | September 22, 2006 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Great post by Chaz!

The WashPost is a repository of male-bashing feminist wenches. We won't see them hating on any of the thousands of braindead women's magazines any time soon.

Posted by: chaz-fan | September 23, 2006 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Poor Maxim defenders, ugly as hell AND subscribing to a lousy mag!

Posted by: DAB | October 2, 2006 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Okay,, i actually hate maxim for this, because let me tell you people Tina Fey is the SHzIT whether you like it or not and obviously most people do think of Tina as HOT!!!,, she was even voted as one of the top 50 most beautiful women on EARTH,,,
So there you go maxim...
=)
GO TINA!
and to all the people who said crap about Tina,,, dont even bother sharing your opinion.

Posted by: Tj | August 16, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

OH AND.. PLEAAAASE READ THIS!!

Posted by: Tj | August 16, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse