Posted at 2:03 PM ET, 09/ 6/2006

We're Soooo Suri

By Liz Kelly

It seems like only yesterday that it was relatively acceptable to question Suri Cruise's existence. Actually, it was Monday.

Katie Couric, in what was a decidedly non-real news liftoff to her reign at CBS Evening News, was the first to share the Annie Leibovitz-shot photos of TomKitten and her parents. Vanity Fair has since posted the cover shot on its Web site but is peskily refusing to allow other online outlets to post the photo.

Because I hate an un-illustrated blog posting. So plain. (Nancy and Sluggo courtesy Comics.com)

But at this point everyone has seen her, right? No? Well, she looks kind of like spunky, cherubic little Nancy here to the right (And, no, that's not some kind of junior Scientology handler she's with. That's Nancy's best bud Sluggo.), but you can still view the actual photo here.

Rather than put an end to speculation, though, the photos have only raised new questions about little Suri's enchanted and isolated existence. Here's a quick sampling found around the net and in my e-mail traffic and comments:

Why does she have so much hair? Is it a wig? Dyed black? Is she Asian? How is it possible that a five-month-old baby has that much character? Why is she being held by Tom while Katie looks on?

And, finally, my favorite observation came from a friend who said, "Well, she doesn't look like L. Ron Hubbard."

If and when Suri starts speaking in tongues, I will be all over that kid like the paparazzi on Ben Affleck. But until that -- or some equally freakish occurrence -- actually happens, I think we should de-escalate the hype surrounding this kid.

You have no idea how much it pains me to admit it, but Suri is one of the cutest babies I've seen in a long time and she looks happy in the photo. So do Tom and Katie.

I'm going to go watch my copy of "Battlefield Earth" now.

Help me.

By Liz Kelly  | September 6, 2006; 2:03 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, TomKat
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Celebritology 101: Why Ben Affleck Should Shuddup
Next: Morning Mix: Paris Hilton Booked on DUI Charges

Comments

I have an 11 month old and Suri certainly looks older than she is.

Posted by: MD | September 6, 2006 2:33 PM | Report abuse

The real question is: how crappy do Cruise's adopted kids feel about all of this Suri hype? I assume that when the rest of the photos come out Conner and Bella will be fuzzy blurs in the background.

Posted by: KG | September 6, 2006 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Tom and Katie look like twins themselves, so it's reasonable each thinks the kid looks like the other one. Psychoanalysts out there -- What's the Freudian take on people who marry or mate with their own mirror images?

Posted by: BB | September 6, 2006 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Suri is a client of the SNL Baby Toupee company! Check out the video (google "SNL baby toupee")

Too funny!

Posted by: look at this... | September 6, 2006 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or does Tom at first glance look more like Brad Pitt than his normal self?

Posted by: CB | September 6, 2006 2:52 PM | Report abuse

She is a cute kid...no matter how old she really is.

Posted by: DC | September 6, 2006 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I think she's adorable.

Posted by: KE | September 6, 2006 3:07 PM | Report abuse

It is plausible she has that much hair naturally, I was born with more hair than most adults have. However, I can't quite figure out why she looks a little bit Asian...eh, whatever. All babies kind of look like watermelons to me until they get a bit older. Cute kid, though.

Posted by: beebles | September 6, 2006 3:13 PM | Report abuse

My son had that much hair as a baby! He was born with a full head of thick brown hair and was never bald (the brown started being replaced with blonde when he was 8 wks old). I too laughed at the SNL baby toupee bit, in part because my son absolutely didn't need it! Little Suri is gorgeous and I think she looks like her dad. I sure hope Tom and Katie are letting people hold her though (heard Becks and Posh were forbidden to do so!).

Posted by: Christine | September 6, 2006 3:19 PM | Report abuse

If the photo was taken at the end of July, wasn't she only about 2-1/2 months old? The child in that picture looks a lot older than that!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 6, 2006 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Eww, i don't think she's cute at all - all that hair is just odd-looking to me. And vaguely simian.

Posted by: E | September 6, 2006 3:27 PM | Report abuse

But man is that a cute baby! Seriously, Tom Cruise can go suck it all, but little Suri is a cute one.

Posted by: Don't Like Tom | September 6, 2006 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Well I think she is adorable and very cute, I'm sure very few people can honestly call their babies cute but she is definitely a cute baby. As far as hype the media hyped all the attention with Baby Suri up not her parents, my goodness give the folks some privacy.

Posted by: E Jones | September 6, 2006 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Liz, if you REALLY do have a copy of 'Battlefield Earth,' then you got issues!

I still have my doubts about Suri's existence...

Posted by: Phil | September 6, 2006 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Tom: Yawn.
Katie: Yawn.
Alias Suri baby: Yawn.

The Vanity Fair portrait is proof that Annie Leibovitz can make anyone look good.

Posted by: Mister Methane | September 6, 2006 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I think that's one cute baby (even though I agree that she looks Asian) but she also looks a lot like Tom Cruise (who doesn't look Asian). I feel like I'm getting caught in a logic problem.

Posted by: KHo | September 6, 2006 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Yeesh! She looks just like her mother! Her eyes turn down a little and eyebrows slent up, plus their mouths are identical. And I think she looks like any other baby. Meh.

Posted by: Dee | September 6, 2006 4:20 PM | Report abuse

My daughter had tons of brown/black hair at birth, and it never fell out. Her first haircut was at 4 months. She also had tons of personality early on, and it came through in photos. Suri's hair--and lively face--isn't usual, but it's not abnormal either. I'm no fan of Tom, but I think they should be left alone to parent their daughter in peace. She's a cutie.

Posted by: E | September 6, 2006 4:24 PM | Report abuse

She's a beautiful baby. I think she looks like her mom.

Posted by: Doris | September 6, 2006 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Nice baby and all, but why is she half-asian? What with the caucasian parents.

Posted by: Junius | September 6, 2006 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Suri is not cute at all (Shiloh Jolie-Pitt was more of a beauty!), and she looks like she's almost one years old already! what's up with that?!

Posted by: Mari | September 6, 2006 6:15 PM | Report abuse

I think they look happy and I thought the WP was just taking another cheap shot with the tacky Nancy and Sluggo comment.
Suri is a cute little girl. I understand that Tom is a good father to his adopted kids and he will probably do a good job with his biological child. Becoming a parent is a life changing experience.

Posted by: Tom | September 6, 2006 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I have a good friend, born to two Caucasian parents, who looked Asian when she was born too (and had a mop of hair)- but grew up to be an absolutely gorgeous, beautiful skinned Caucasian-looking woman. So I think that as Suri gets older, she'll "grow out" of looking Asian. Okay, that sounds really bad for some reason.

Posted by: Suzy | September 6, 2006 7:29 PM | Report abuse

My kids had that much hair. Dark hair is fuller on babies. They also took pictures just right. It wouldn't surprise me if she has a little bald spot around the back. Sometimes it rubs off a little there.

Posted by: RoseG | September 6, 2006 7:37 PM | Report abuse

This baby is absolutely adorable. Look at those eyes! I had a headful of hair when I was born so there's nothing strange about it. Let these folks and their baby be.

Posted by: Shut up haters! | September 6, 2006 8:11 PM | Report abuse

she looks realy sweet - here she looks like little tom, on the other picture she looks like little katie - cute and wonderfull baby - despite weird father and captured mother

and most longlasting marriages are between "similar" people, eventhough i hope for katie and the baby that she gets out of scientology tom

Posted by: Anonymous | September 6, 2006 8:22 PM | Report abuse

People... think a bit. Tom Cruise is most assuredly not the father of this baby. I don't think it's in him.

Posted by: Bunkley | September 6, 2006 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Lost in all the hype about this child's shuttered existance is her odd name. She seems to have been named after the town I'm living in, which also just happens to be the one Tom Cruise was born in. SuriCruise is just too close to "Syracuse" to be an accident for someone who would be familiar with the ring of the name. It's like naming your daughter Crystal Shanda Lear, only more blue collar, which is just odd in the context of glitz surrounding these guys.

Posted by: Marie | September 6, 2006 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Why does Daddy Cruise always have to be the center of attention? Oh, well at least he let Suri's mom stick her head in the photo too!

Posted by: K Taylor | September 6, 2006 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone considered that perhaps they used a donor egg from Tom Cruise's sister which could explain it looking like Tom. Now we just have to figure out the Asian sperm donor.

Posted by: RockabillySue | September 6, 2006 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Katie, You have an adorable baby. Don't let anyone interfere with that bond any more. These are the most precious times for your family and they go quickly, so don't waste them with attention on the hostiilities of others. God works in mysterious ways- you have a boyfriend who knew absolutely nothing about postpartum depression until all this happened. Do your family a big favor and get that man on the right tract so you can have the family and life that you need and deserve. If Tom wasn't a Scientologist, I know none of this media mania would have occurred. It's as bizarre as L. Ron Hubbard and that is a big hint.

Posted by: Kitty | September 7, 2006 2:23 AM | Report abuse

Kitty,

Katie Holmes ...er... Cruise doesn't read Liz's column, so it's no use addressing her here.

... and let's not make babies mysterious. Babies are simply the way the human race goes on. No different than cats, rats horses, dogs, or chimps. The baby will turn out weird because of scientology. But let's not put the blame on Tom here. After all, Katie knew all this nonsense when she had sex with Tom (I know I know what you're thinking, but let's just pretend here for a moment), so it's hardly Tom's fault that he's acting as crazy as possible. It's her fault for feeling she had to have Tom's baby....

Okay. I give up here. I realize the chance of it being Tom's baby are pretty close to zero. And so it's hard to make my point knowing that this baby is more likely to be the product of a virgin birth than Tom Cruise's biological child.

I give up. But my first point remains. Or something.

Posted by: Bunkley | September 7, 2006 4:55 AM | Report abuse

Suri definitely looks older than a 4 1/2 month old baby (if she's even that old). But if this isn't their kid why would Katie Holmes walk about for 9 months with some fake stomach hanging out??? Tom has adopted before (Connor and Isabella) and didn't keep it secret - why would he do it this time?? And he was involved in the Scientology Church when he met Nicole so you couldn't really blame them for making him do this. All very confusing!! I know this sounds a bit of a conspiracy theory but I hope nothing happened to the real baby when it was born and they had to adopt!!

Posted by: antoinette | September 7, 2006 8:41 AM | Report abuse

I don't see anything unsual at all, My mom's name is Suri, in my family kids have tons of hair when they are born and have cute almond shaped eyes-we are Latino. Stop picking on the cute kid! Weird parents..no question about it...but really pretty baby

Posted by: M | September 7, 2006 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I think Suri is beautiful!!

I had a baby in May and he does not look like his father or myself ..... some kids don't look like their parents. I think babies don't uaually resemble their parents till they get older ...... babies look like babies.

Posted by: Christina Sirovey | September 7, 2006 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Please god leave the family alone!

1. She doesn't look Asian and if you think she does . . . so what. Maybe Tom or Kate (remember Tom banned the use of Katie) have some Asian ancestors. I don't see it but whatever
2. Give the baby a break. She has to grow up with this family. Hopefully Kate will wake up and realize how crazy her man is and hightail it out of there. Or maybe she loves him in which case I have nothing to add but sympathy.
3. My daughter looked (and still does)much older than her actual age. At 6 weeks old she had a head full of hair and people thought she was 4 to six months old. She also was advanced in terms of grabbing objects, making eye contact, smiling, etc. so people were confused and thought she was older.

Suri is very cute and will no doubt be beautiful as she gets older. They should have some privacy as a family. There is no reason that they should have to share pictures with the world. Why, so that we can all criticize their child. Sheesh.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2006 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Here are the facts:

A. Tom would not have sex with Mimi (who openly admitted this)
B. Tom and Nicole tried to years to have children, but could not produce. So, they adopted.

A + B = C) Tom can't produce children.

Now, in today's world, it's easy to get a sperm donor with specific features.

That being said,
Katie's belly has been fluctuating throughout her pregnancy and there are photographs that prove she is big one day and smaller in the next. The most mysterious one is the one where her belly is soo far up (not shaped like a pear) it looks like a basketball under her dress. In October last year, she said she was two months pregnant, but her stomach was more like 5 months!

The birth certificate was signed by a nurse who was never there in the delivery room, and who doesn't exist! Neither Tom nor Katie signed their baby's birth certificate. Nearly a month later, a "friend" signed it with illegible handwriting. Their excuse was that they were busy getting a passport for the baby.

Think about it. These things just don't add up. There's too many holes in Tom's stories. A bunch of smoke and mirrors. And where there's smoke, there's fire! Cute baby, but I just don't believe this baby is Tom's.

Posted by: Cara | September 7, 2006 1:49 PM | Report abuse

asian? has anyone here ever even seen an asian person? her eyes have no slant whatsoever! just because she's pale with dark hair doesn't mean she has an asian background. people are so ignorant.

Posted by: toni | September 7, 2006 2:05 PM | Report abuse

If those two wackjobs seriously think me to believe that screaming bag of poo is theirs, they have another thing coming. They adopted. It's all a sham/publicity stunt--maybe to boost their popularity or maybe recruit more followers for that spaced-out religion of his.

And quit with all the sentimental gush already. Do I care what your brat looked like when you dropped it? Just face it, you're the only one who thinks the thing was cute.

That's why men rule the world and not you.

Now go and watch Oprah.

Posted by: cLIF | September 7, 2006 5:07 PM | Report abuse

When I read these posts all I can think of is how ignorant and racist most of these people are. The gossip is hurtful. I understand why Tom and Katie did not let anyone see their child until now. Oh, btw, looking Asian is not bad as most of these posts seem to imply. Asian faced babies rule or will someday!

Posted by: Guy | September 7, 2006 8:31 PM | Report abuse

"When I read these posts all I can think of is how ignorant and racist most of these people are."

I don't think it's racist. However, I think people are balking at the kid supposedly being their biological child.

Let's look at more facts (Cara, you're a genius. If I was young and single, we'd go for a coffee together)... Katie Holmes is as white as a person can get. I mean, you look up white in the dictionary they have her picture. Then you add in Tom Cruise who is pretty damned white... And then you get... a child of color? Kinda sorta?

Please.

Posted by: Bunkley | September 7, 2006 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Come one people, its not little suri's fault that she was born or adopted or whatever into this family. She is beautiful and spirited. ANd so what if she looks somewhat asain. Its a sad day indeed when people decide to talk crap about a baby. If anything, talk crap about the parents not the poor little baby. Shes only a baby!!! Listen to yourselves people!!! Pathetic.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2006 1:46 AM | Report abuse

"Spirited"

Dude, how the heck can you tell? You can tell that by a photo?

And nobody cares that she looks asian, or black or white. Why won't Tom just admit that it's not his child? A man with his magical powers from Scientology can't be impotent can he? And of course, what would the great Elron say if it turned out Tom wasn't on the "regular" team?

And all of this would make no difference except scientology claims special powers for unique people like Tom Cruise, and he's so nutty that the only thing you can do is shake your head and wonder how screwed up he is.

...but back to the first thing. Tell me again, *exactly* how you can tell Suri is "spirited". Or maybe you should begin by defining "spirited".

You're on...

Posted by: Bright Guy | September 8, 2006 9:38 AM | Report abuse

JET LI IS THE FATHER TO BABY SURI!
Baby Suri is a cover up! I will tell you from inside source that I know....

HERE IT IS AMERICA

The couple has played it off for months now, while they realized the baby was born looking asian not caucasian.

The couple did not conceive the baby. Tom is infertile, thats why he adopted his first two children.

Katie got pregnant on her own. My source told me she had sex with a partner who is asian (a former lover, JET LI).

When Tom and her started dating, she was already in her pregnancy. Now the couples relationship is on the rocks because Katie is confused about marrying Tom since this is not his child. For months the couple has tried to cover up their story by hiding the baby, until Katie spoke up to Tom..."you show the world the photos or I am going".

This information should be made public...and the two of them need to come out and tell the truth. Hiding the baby for months from the media is not the way. The couple was shocked when they realized the baby wasn't Tom's.

justwhatuget00

Posted by: justwhatuget00 | September 9, 2006 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Had the best laugh of the day when I read this page. So a few points.
1. Yes, let the kid have a life and some privacy. It can't help it's parentage anymore than you or I. p.s. asians are very smart and that's not being prejudiced.
2. Even if it's not Tom's, maybe he'll act a little more sane if Katie can work on him some.
3. I so agree that the chance that it is his biological child is zip to zero. But you have to agree that even if Katie was pregnant before she was stupid enough to get with good old Tom, she was raised a good Catholic kid and she needed a father for the child.
4. End of story is that they all win including the kid. That's assuming she excapes the clutches of Scientology.

Posted by: judy22 | September 11, 2006 1:53 PM | Report abuse

To me baby Suri ain't all that... I have seen way prettier baby's than her by far. She is sort of elfish looking with almond-shaped eyes...Is she Asian?

Posted by: T | September 11, 2006 1:55 PM | Report abuse

having almond shaped eyes does not make you asian. I am of Egyptian descent and I have almond shaped eyes and my baby pictures did look asian. I also have a niece that was just born 2 months ago and she has a full head of black hair and looks more like 7 or 8 months old not 2. So who cares what the kid looks like or who's the father!!! Isn't there a war going on???

Posted by: who cares! | September 11, 2006 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I thought of one last thing. The most important thing in a child's life is not who his biological parents are, but the love of those he has to call Mom and Dad. I think whatever else anyone may say, this little girl has love from the most important people in her life.

What the world says really doesn't matter.

Posted by: judy22 | September 11, 2006 3:34 PM | Report abuse