Posted at 9:00 AM ET, 10/ 5/2006

'Lost': Rehashing the Season Opener

By Liz Kelly

Can I be in your book club? (AP)

SPOILER ALERT

A few quick thoughts on last night's season premiere. Please add yours to the comments section.

- How bizarre is it that the Others have a quaint little suburban-ish compound and spend their days arguing over book club selections? Anyone catch which Stephen King book they were reading? And was the Other village as shocking as last year's season opening revelation of Desmond inside the hatch?

- Juliet: Like her or hate her? She definitely proved untrustworthy, yet some groundwork for a power struggle with Ben (aka Henry Gale) seems to have been laid.

- Why the different treatment for Jack? Why is he being kept inside and fed actual food while Sawyer (and apparently Kate) are being kept in some sort of decaying zoo enclosure eating kibble?

- Any thoughts on what the "unpleasantness" promised to Kate over the next two weeks will be? Obviously, all three -- Jack, Sawyer and Kate -- are in for experimentation, but to what end?

More:
Shadowy Others Take Charge (USA Today)
Lost Action Figures Coming (SciFi.com)
Miss last night's show? Watch online.

Next Week: The Glass Ballerina (hopefully we'll get caught up with Sayid and the rest of the castaways)

By Liz Kelly  | October 5, 2006; 9:00 AM ET
Categories:  Lost, TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Rep Says Madonna Did Not Adopt
Next: Life Imitates Art: Jen and Vince 'Break Up'

Comments

They were all reading "Carrie" each person had a different book cover, but it was the same novel.

Posted by: Bethesda | October 5, 2006 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Quick question... was Desmond's love interest (the one who was notified by the siberian jack look a like via the phone call in last years finale) the same person as Juliet? For the life of me I can't remember what Desmond's woman looked like.

Or am I just fishing.

Thought the opener was good, can't wait for next week.

Posted by: go skins go | October 5, 2006 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Juliet does look a bit like Desmond's girlfriend; I definitely did a double take, but they are different people.

Posted by: Silver Sprung | October 5, 2006 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Arrgh! I'm still watching the season 2 DVDS and recording the new season until I get caught up. I feel like a vegetarian locked in a slaughterhouse - can't look, can't listen, can't run 'coz it's all around me. Aiee!

Looks like I won't be getting outside this weekend.

Posted by: NY NY | October 5, 2006 8:48 AM | Report abuse

J.J. Abrams likes to toy with his audience on his characters, on who is evil and who is good. Sloane, over on Alias, was an annoying character for this reason. You could never tell whether he was good or bad. It is one thing to be a good man with some bad traits, but methinks that upon ordering the murder of one's fiance, that forever crosses the line into a bad character with occasional good qualities.

I don't know what to think of The Others, except that I have no trust for them, and if I were Jack, I would take advantage of the incarceration and interrogation, getting the food and drink I need, but not giving them an ounce in return.

Think about it, what happened to the young prisoner who escaped? He was captured and then, he is no longer placed in the cage accross from Sawyer. No, Mr. Henry Gale (Ben---or whatever you want to call yourself---Satan is a good name too), you are not the good guys!

Posted by: Dan | October 5, 2006 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I love Dan's reminder that Ben/Henry says the Others are the good guys. Most people who do bad things often believe they have very good reasons. Not very many people in the world think of themselves as bad people. Is this one of the "cool" philosophical questions engaged by the writers this year?

Posted by: Kelli | October 5, 2006 8:50 AM | Report abuse

OK, we get that Jack has daddy issues...can we please move on to something else now? Ben/Henry is CREEPY! If Sawyer's cage was for bears, why was there a knife and fork on the button? What happened to Kate's wrists? Best line of the night..."you got yourself a fish biscuit"

Posted by: Lester Burnham | October 5, 2006 8:52 AM | Report abuse

What weirded me out the most was the file on Jack. For some reason, that's even more creepy than The Others just being strangely omniscient and knowing everything about everyone. But now...they have files?!? Such a mundane thing suggests that they have frequent contact with the outside world, and they're just hanging out on the island for fun.

BUT...couldn't they have salvaged Jack's dad's death certificate from the crash reckage? Is the rest of the file just blank paper? And if so, how the hell do they know so much about everyone? And if they have frequent contact with the outside world why was the book club reading a book written in the 70s?!? Aurrrgghhh!!! My head!

Posted by: jw | October 5, 2006 9:10 AM | Report abuse

And who was that kid initially caged next to Sawyer? Another survivor from Oceanic 815?

Posted by: Liz | October 5, 2006 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, and I don't know how I let myself do this, but I fell asleep on the couch halfway through the episode. Gah!

But as I was reading through the comments on the TV Without Pity forums hoping to catch up on what I missed, a thought on the whole situation came to me and I don't know if anyone else has thought this yet (someone probably has though b/c I only started watching the show halfway through the second season).

What if the Others, thinking they are the ones in charge, are actually the primary subjects of the experiment? I.E. they think they are Dharma scientists, but instead are being monitored by the real Dharma scientists to see how people who think they are in control create societies, and what people are willing to do to other people in the name of science.

I've not really fleshed out this theory but would value anyone's opinion on it.

Posted by: Kadoo | October 5, 2006 9:33 AM | Report abuse

you have to trust the creepy dude/ben. when he tells kate that "no, i don't." [know her] he's telling the truth. he doesn't know sawyer and kate. if they were all knowing then he would know that she likes sawyer and why.

i really hope ben stays bad unlike sawyer who turned out good after half a season. ben's really good at being evil.

so i guess we know who gets the girl(kate). and it's convenient how the writers introduced julliette for jack. hey it worked! jack gets julliette. sawyer gets kate.

anyone notice the bubble over the others' village? this show reminds me of "The Truman Show". a lot. especially when desmond, an experienced boater kept going round and round the island.

my only hope is that the writers know where they're going with the plot.

and the reason they're treating jack (i hope) differently is because he's the only one they know something about. and basically julliette, like a good liar called jack's bluff when she asked him "what do you want to know about her"...

and julliette isn't the same person as desmond's love interest. desmond's fiance or whatever lives outside the bubble. she's a british actoress...i know her from that hbo show...i forget the name...about 2-3 years ago

Posted by: dealer | October 5, 2006 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Thanks dealer. I wasnt sure, but I am almost positive we have seen Juliett before.

And I like the idea from Kadoo... the others are the subjects, from the Dharma project.

We shall see.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | October 5, 2006 9:45 AM | Report abuse

yeah, the others being subjects was implied in this episode.

Posted by: dealer | October 5, 2006 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Wait, there was a bubble?

Posted by: Liz | October 5, 2006 9:58 AM | Report abuse

What if the others were subjects of the Dharma experiments and they rebelled and killed the Dharma scientists?

Posted by: Polar Bear | October 5, 2006 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Was an obvious plant. He's an Other. The three all got assigned to some one (Kate got beard-guy, Jack got Juliet, Sawyer got cage boy). They're trying to break their wills over the next two weeks, so that at the end they all WANT to be Others. Juliette is showing Jack that they're good. THey're creeping Kate out. The cage guy is there to show Sawyer that yes, it is really easy to get out of these cages, but you don't WANT to. (Bad things happen- you get stun gunned and disappeared away).

Posted by: cage guy | October 5, 2006 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Kate and Ben at breakfast. A little too much like Raiders of the Lost Ark when French archeologist makes Karen Allen wear the fancy white dress and then treats her to a nice meal, as though she wasn't a prisoner.

overall, liked the episode, but wish they could have been more original.

Posted by: anon | October 5, 2006 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Juliet is played by Elizabeth Mitchell (ER, Nurse Betty, etc.), who did NOT play Desmond's girlfriend, according to her IMDB filmography.

I'm one of those who liked "Lost" very much the first season, thought it was still pretty good the second season, but began deteriorating, and am now just about ready to hang it up on this show. The season opener was pretty much just a sadistic exercise, and I'm now pretty much convinced the writers have lost their minds. They started out with a diverse cast of a dozen or so people, all of whom we liked (even Sawyer, in his own way). Now, several of them are dead, Michael has become a callous murderer, and half the cast can't even get any decent face time.

Yeah, the writers have lost it, and are just mentally...well...abusing themselves, and us. They've jumped the shark.

Fortunately, "Lost" is now opposite "House."

Thought the premiere of "The Nine" was pretty good--another good ensemble cast. Now they've just got to stay focused.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | October 5, 2006 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I felt that there's a lot of fanboy negativity aimedd at Jack that's not understandable. His wife Sarah cheated on him with another man due to the CRIME that he needs to "fix" things. duh! Everyone on this earth needs to take responsibility to fix things, that's the biblical golden rule, you know, make things right where they're wrong. At least that's what I was told in bible camp. So she totally stabs him in the back and I've seen fanboys up and down the boards talking like it was a simple teenage breakup he needed to "get over." Actually, if I hired a lawyer for a divorce, I'd hire a Private Investigator too, because a divorce is a legal matter that people should not, "just get over."

B

Posted by: Bethesdan | October 5, 2006 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else watch the entire episode not believeing one thing they said? Pretty much anti-climactic for me. From the kid who "helped" Sawyer escape to the file folder that Juliette held. The best part was the opening segment. Hoepfully Abrams is setting up the viewer like this on purpose and it's not just filler to squeeze out five seasons of Lost.

Posted by: Skeptical | October 5, 2006 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Jack's file...since Sawyer, Jack and Kate all had an injection of some sort, isn't it possible (likely?) that the Others used a drug-induced state to gather all types of information on them? Frankly, I was surprised by how easily Juliet managed to break Jack's will. Kate and Sawyer will probably not go so easily.

Posted by: Lester Burnham | October 5, 2006 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I have never watched the show, but can't escape reading about it. My guess as to why they are treating Jack better is he has a valuable skill they need, isn't he a doctor?

Posted by: CJB | October 5, 2006 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I don't think there was a bubble.

Dealer -- how was the idea that the Others are subjects implied in this episode? I'm not rejecting it out of hand, but didn't get that impression.

I think it is clear that the Others have been in constant contact with the outside world, and thus don't have much of a problem with the idea that they were able to compile extensive files on our characters. However, the episode seems to make clear that they didn't bring the plane down (that was Desmond). So why did Ben immediately send out Ethan and Goodwin to get "lists?" Any guesses as to what that is all about?

Posted by: Eric | October 5, 2006 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Curmudgeon and Skeptical.
The show seems to be heading in the Twin Peaks direction... more stories/more confusion/no answers. The only thing I enjoyed was the opening segment and that's about it. I may throw in the towel soon.

Posted by: Lisa | October 5, 2006 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Re: last night's much pre-hyped episode --

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

And another:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Posted by: J J | October 5, 2006 11:44 AM | Report abuse

In a recent Entertainment Weekly article, "The Pop of King", Stephen King wrote that he enjoys "Lost" and that he hopes they have the good sense to have an end in mind. He hopes it's not a cow they continue to milk until it's dead.

When they had all the Others reading Stephen King, I was left wondering if that was Lost's nod to King?

Posted by: Ken | October 5, 2006 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I liked the episode. The first season we learned about the people in the front of the plane, got to know them and love and/or hate them. Last season we got the Tailies story and the Dharma initiative and added a whole new dimension. Now we get to see what's going on in the Others' world. Our Lost universe is getting bigger, more complicated and more interesting.

The kid in the cage across from Sawyer is definitely on of the Others - a plant to convince him not to try to run. But we know Saawyer - he dodesn't trust anyone and I'd bet anything he keeps trying to escape.

I'm looking forward to seeing what's up with Sayid, Sun & Moon (as I like to call them),Hurley, Locke and Eko. Don't care too much about Claire & Charlie. Definitely curious about Michael and most of all Walt - what has he been through?

Posted by: KiKi | October 5, 2006 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I thought the same thing when I saw them reading the Stephen King book! Do you think there are connections between the book "Carrie" and Walt's telepathy powers? What about the little commune and all the social contract theorist named characters?? Any chance that Desmond's fiancee's father has a role in all this? Do you think the Others have contact with the outside world, or did they make up all the information on Jack after getting it from him from his drug-induced state?

I thought the first five minutes was a brilliant opening.

Jack = guilt. Drove his father "Christian" to drinking again after he tried to get sober. That's why his mom says he was responsible for his dad's death/disappearance in season one!

Posted by: LT | October 5, 2006 12:29 PM | Report abuse

a few thoughts: the book, though written in the 70s doesn't mean that it's all they have. she did say it's her "favorite" meaning she's probably read it more than once.

i think they are treating jack differently because a) he's a surgeon and can be useful, b) he comes from a science background, c) he's never killed anyone purposefully and hence he's a good guy according to the Others' logic (kate and sawyer don't fit this bill).

i think ben does know about kate and sawyer and he's playing mind games with kate because she hasn't fully accepted her own feelings yet.

and telling jack that his wife is very happy tells him nothing really. of course he's going to want to hear that and she can get by with such a vague declaration.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 5, 2006 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I agree LOST is just milking the "mystery plot" cow - I don't think the writers know where they're going. Its the EXACT same thing as Twin Peaks and X-files - Just kept going on until it evaporated and had no where else to go. Except maybe a movie. What happened to the black mist and the machinery sound in season 2?

I don't think the Others have contact with the outside world at all. That's why they panicked when the "outside" plane crashed. Wasn't Jack's dad's body in the plane - so they would've had the autopsy and could've gotten info when he was drugged (as someone else thought)

Posted by: TB | October 5, 2006 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Just a couple obsrevations:

Sonya Walger plays Desmond's love interest, she was on that HBO show Mind of the MArried Man, plus Coupling, I think on BBC.

This episode seems reminiscent of last season's start with island-based story arcs for a few characters (with the frustratingly incomplete flashbacks) in each episode. Last season, it seemed to take about 5 or six episodes for the events of a few days to play out, moving forward and backwardto show what everyone was up to...

I am surprised at the "twin peaks" reference, as if it was only last season that the show spiralled into the surreal. I believe the very first epsiode showed that shadowy "monster" ripping out trees and bellowing all night long, plus the plane's pilot was essentially eaten by this thing. That did not stike me as terrribly reality based.

Overall, I'd say great start to the new season.

Posted by: MeLikeyLost | October 5, 2006 1:00 PM | Report abuse

"I guess this means I'm out of the book club"
My guess is that the others know they are part of the experiment and are looking for replacments, just like Desmond wanted to be replaced and how Desmond was the replacement for CIA guy.
Everyone involved in Dharma seems to be under some sort of compulsion to act or else find someone to act in their place. I think that is the significane of the book club line and the eagerness to find the survivors of the crash.

Posted by: Ed | October 5, 2006 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm one of those who feels like if we don't get some closure on SOME of these issues soon, they will lose me. Someone earlier said it's turning into mystery on top of mystery and no real explanation. They may have painted themselves into a plot corner or may have become too wrapped up in creating mysteries to focus on solutions. But "Henry" is a wonderfully nerdy-evil character.

Posted by: Not Hurley | October 5, 2006 1:42 PM | Report abuse

after last night's show, my husband and i spent a bit of time talking about how being frustratingly jailed, with the threat of physical torture ('the next two weeks will be very unpleasant') and drugging is just a little too close to reality. i'm disappointed that the mystery and motivation that was so much a part of the first season has deteriorated into violence.

Posted by: b-more | October 5, 2006 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Re: The King Reference. I read prior to the 1st season premiere that the writers were enamored of King's Dark Tower books. My wife and I have since seen several references in the program for other 'tower junkies'.

Posted by: Bontster | October 5, 2006 3:05 PM | Report abuse

the big bubble theory:

1. if you go back and watch the episode the plane crash scene...you'll notice a sci-fi ripple...
2. desmond's wife getting a call from the south pole warning her about something they heard. clearly that explosion was felt but not scene by the south pole people.
3. desmond not being able to navigate out of the bubble/island...
4. ben telling walt's father exactly which direction to go to find a way out (either he was leading him to a round and round chase or he was actually letting him out of the bubble)
5. south pole because of the polar bear and the beard dude said to sawyer "it took the bears 3 hours"...

now rember tis only a theory...

the other being captive: when julliette was talking to jack, she implied that they were captors...i can't rember the exact line...

and my man stephen is right if they don't wrap this thing up in 2 seasons...and we'll know by the end of this season. no way i'm coming back next year. that kind of loyalty is only reserved for the sopranos.

long live the King (stephen)!

Posted by: dealer | October 5, 2006 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I really liked the Juliet character...she's cool. The tension between her and Ben was the most interesting thing last night, for me. I'm curious to find out what her deal is.

And this is just a facetious question, but where does everyone get their books for the book club? Amazon.com delivers to the island, too? Awesome!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 5, 2006 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Losties seem to be testing the plane crashies for their blood characteristics. So they are not giving injections; except for knock-out ones,--they are taking blood samples. The boy's blood evidently turned out to be not usefull; so they used him to get jack and the others. The losties can't leave the island until they
perfect a cure for their malady. Or perhaps they were preinjected to join the Dharma INitiative and now want to "reverse" the process by utlizing non-injected persons blood.

Posted by: DrPhibes | October 5, 2006 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Only in D.C.: "The plane crash losties used incorrect military strategy when going to confront the others in not marshaling ALL of their forces and arms."

Thanks for checking in, Mr. Rumsfeld.

Posted by: Liz | October 5, 2006 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I think Charlie rock star should be staked for betraying Desmond and John; and as it turns out Eko.
That was a little extreme for revenge for just getting slugged. But perhaps they will survive the explosion with just white hair ( except for Locke ) HA!

Posted by: Vlad | October 5, 2006 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Liz-
Anytime, Mrs Rumsfeld

Posted by: DrPhibes | October 5, 2006 3:48 PM | Report abuse

"I guess this means that I'm out of the book club"

I took this to mean that when Benry saw all the people coming out of Juliet's house, he knew that they had been in a book club meeting, one that he would normally attend. So I think that Benry and Juliet had a romantic relationship that ended badly, leading to her excluding him from the club but not telling him that he wasn't invited anymore. (Could also explain why she was stressed and burned the muffins.)

So a bad break-up could explain the tensions between Benry/Juliet, which could also make the Benry/Jack situation even more suspenseful.

Posted by: Lesley | October 5, 2006 4:01 PM | Report abuse

A lot of it reminded me of that famous Star Trek episode called the Menagerie, where the first nterprise captain, Christopher Pike, is kept in a sort of zoo by these humanoid creatures that can read his mind and want to observe him and learn about his emotional responses. Kirk's captors put a beautiful woman in the cage with him...anyone remember that? My memory is faint, so I cannot recall if that is where the similarities end or not...

Posted by: Leslie | October 5, 2006 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Finally caught up; thank God for DVR. LOVED this week's episode. I wish I had that grilled cheese sandwich.

Posted by: KG | October 5, 2006 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Now Liz -- Mr. Rumsfeld would have approved of the losties military strategy, using a deception and a light, mobile unit. Whoever left that comment comment was probably an America-hating, left-leaning terrorist!

Posted by: Eric | October 6, 2006 8:52 AM | Report abuse

dealer - polar bears are not found at the south pole. they're northern hemisphere creatures.

Posted by: niyaka | October 6, 2006 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why people like Kiki keep saying they are excited to see Walt and Michael, what happened to them. Everyone knows that the actor who played Michael did not have his contract renewed and will only appear in flashbacks from here on out. His story line is dunzo.

I HATE the idea of Juliette and Jack. I hate Kate and Sawyer being together even more. It's too obvious. I like Jack and Kate because Jack is "good" and Kate is "bad". I hate "bad" and "bad", two peas-in-a-pod coupledom. BO-RING. I'm hoping that the producers are teasing us by puting the news out there that Kate is hooking up this season, and showing the Sawyer kiss in promos and them making googly eyes through the cages. I hope it is all to throw us off track. Because if it isn't, we already know that the coupl eis Kate and Sawyer.

Basically, the Jack-Juliette and Kate-Sawyer pairing are just too lame and obvious. I like the opposites attract stuff for drama.

Posted by: Elisha | October 6, 2006 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I have to say, I love watching lost. It takes me back to childhood and how involved I used to get in adventure. I loved playing adventure/detective games on the pc and finding mystery after mystery and having to go through that period of 'what is going on?!' before arriving at that oh so satisfying 'oh my word.....I get it!!!!' moment.
The first episode of season 3 was great! I actually gasped at the first scene when the plane crashed and you see they live such 'normal' lives on the island - and also that there are so many of them!
I did start to wonder last night if we are being forced to hate the others when actually it seems to me that the losties have probably commited worse offenses between themselves! We haven't seen any of the others - apart from Ethan mistreat anyone! They may have taken some people away - but do we know they were harmed?? The losties have killed, threatened, locked up - become masively paranoid and suspicious of pretty much everything!
I am so lost - but loving it.
I have to agree with a number of other people who have written - it HAS to have some answers soon to some things - I dread a terrible ending - like something really naff - like, 'and then they woke up'.

Posted by: annie | October 7, 2006 4:09 AM | Report abuse

Its been a week so no one will read this but I have to point out that Annie is about as wrong as anyone could be. She has forgotten that the "Other" Goodwin broke the neck of the guy Ana-Lucia put in the pit. The "Others" are not good, they do what ever they have to to survive just like the passengers (much better term than Losties).

Posted by: Newbie | October 9, 2006 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I have been trying desperately (to no avail, mind you) to convince my friends that the scientist in the last scene of season two's finale is Matthew Fox. Perhaps not "Jack" per se, but the same person nonetheless. Thoughts? Theories? Or am I just terribly wrong here???

Posted by: Jen | October 10, 2006 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Didn't like the first episode. Like many of you, I think they need to start answering some questions in order to retain audience interest instead of simply coming up with new questions. I'm getting a little frustrated, and TV is supposed to be enjoyable. I get enough unsolvable puzzles at work. I'm not sure how new viewers are supposed to have ANY idea what is going on when those of us who have seen it from the beginning can't really tell you what is going on. They don't need to answer all of the questions, certainly, but solve at least one partial thread for a while.

Posted by: MattE | October 11, 2006 1:42 AM | Report abuse

So I hear that they will end the series with a movie

Posted by: brigitte | October 27, 2006 4:09 AM | Report abuse