Posted at 8:44 AM ET, 10/26/2006

Morning Mix: Naomi Campbell Detained on Assault Charge

By Liz Kelly

Headlines: Naomi Campbell detained on assault charge... Father now backs Madonna adoption; Ricky Martin also approves... Isaiah Washington apologizes for on set scuffle, cancels Ellen interview... Lance Bass's boyfriend target of threats... Paris Hilton in full-page drunk driving PSA... Jermaine Dupri leaves job as Janet Jackson's album bombs... Jay-Z insists he's not leaving DefJam... Diddy says criticism made him a better artist... Details revealed in Hasselhoff divorce... Liev Schreiber to join "CSI" cast... Black Sabbath members reunite without Ozzy... Guitarist Andy Taylor leaves Duran Duran during U.S. tour... Lorenzo Lamas to make cabaret debut with "Lorenzo Sings About Love."

Rumor Mill: Tara Reid: "I really want kids"... Jessica Simpson fears she'll never date again... Elizabeth Hurley to marry boyfriend Arun Nayar next year... Sacha Baron Cohen developing movie based on "Bruno" character... Pete Townshend walks out on Howard Stern show... Simon Cowell rules out "ridiculous" marriage... Vincent Gallo denies dating 16-year-old.

By Liz Kelly  | October 26, 2006; 8:44 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Celebrity Halloween Costume Help
Next: 'Lost': Episode 4 Dueling Analyses

Comments

Y-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-wn.

Posted by: Henry Binder | October 26, 2006 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Y-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-wn.

Posted by: Henry Binder | October 26, 2006 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Liev Schreiber!!!! I might actually have to start watching CSI again--he has the most beautiful voice. I could listen to him recite the contents on a shampoo bottle.

Posted by: orrnyereg | October 26, 2006 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Tara wants kids; Jessica might never date again. Who cares! They're just two names to be added to my ever expanding list of who care "celebrities."

Posted by: pnina | October 26, 2006 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Where are the Lost comments promised on the homepage???

Posted by: lost | October 26, 2006 10:11 AM | Report abuse

A little legal primer here...

Assault is a threat to use force
Battery is actually using force

So if I say "I'm gonna hit you"
That's assault

If I punch you in the nose, that's battery.

Perhaps poor ole' Naomi said "Ma'am, if you don't get out of my face, I will smack you" . That's assault.

This is how the judge's instructions went to me when I was on a jury a few years ago.

Posted by: Bunkley | October 26, 2006 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Good for Pete! Stern = crap

Posted by: r² | October 26, 2006 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Long as I'm around, Jessica can stop filling up her empty little head with thoughts about dating again. I can pretty much assure her that she is no threat to my career. As for the papparazzi, they'd have so many pictures of me their motordrives would burn up.

Posted by: Stick | October 26, 2006 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Bunkley, your legal primer is not an accurate definition of assault, at least not everywhere. Here's one state's defintion:

"Assault" is: (1) An act done with intent to cause fear in another of immediate bodily harm or death; or (2) The intentional infliction of or attempt to inflict bodily harm upon another.

So, assault *can* be the actual infliction of bodily harm, not just the threat of it. Naomi seems to have a history of both.

Posted by: Not so fast | October 26, 2006 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Bunkley is correct when both charges are leveled against someone, because a defendant can be convicted of both assault and battery, which is why the jury was instructed as to the difference between the two in a legal framework.

Not so fast is also correct that assault can mean physical attacks when used to describe a crime or perhaps Naomi Campbell in media reports, which is why you hear on Law & Order or CSI "The victim was assaulted with a knife" or whatever.

Posted by: court reporter | October 26, 2006 2:13 PM | Report abuse

PS - The article link about Naomi leaves out the best part: Apparently the woman accusing Naomi of assault is her drug rehab counselor, and she says Naomi clawed at her face. Throwing cell phones at assistants and beating maids with a pair of jeans is pretty good, but I think it's going to be difficult for Naomi to top clawing a rehab counselor's face...

Posted by: court reporter | October 26, 2006 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Okay, Jessica, I'll call you.

I get the hint.