Posted at 10:36 AM ET, 11/21/2006

List: Top 100 Albums of All Time?

By Liz Kelly

Apparently sub-par band Pink Floyd in 1973. (From "The Dark Side of the Moon")

It's Tuesday, so it must be time for a Friday list. In a convoluted Liz-logic sort of way this does make sense, see, because I won't be here Friday so we need to make hay while the sun shines, carpe diem, gather rosebuds and whatnot. So, on this browser page it's Friday and we're in list mode.

I saw Time's all-time top 100 album list last week, but we were so busy getting ready for TomKat that it would've been lost in the shuffle. It's worth a look, but IMHO there's a lot amiss with this list.

The albums aren't ranked, but divided by decade. I guess we're meant to draw some kind of conclusion from the fact that of the nine albums listed as 2000s releases, four are compilations of older artists (Hank Williams, Muddy Waters, Elvis and Sam Cooke). Kanye West is there, but what about Jay-Z? More troubling -- while the Beatles make the list five times (deservedly), the compilers totally shut out Pink Floyd, the Doors and Guns N' Roses. Rest assured, Dolly Parton and Fleetwood Mac both made it. And Courtney Love's band Hole.

Time also excluded some of the more obscure albums included in other lists. Both The Zombies and the group Love are included in Rolling Stone's top 100; New Music Express's list centers on alternative acts and VH1's list sticks to the classics, but seems to have a more diverse spread including Lauryn Hill and The Police.

Have a look at the list, then tell me what you think is missing.

By Liz Kelly  | November 21, 2006; 10:36 AM ET
Categories:  Friday Lists
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: TomKat's Wedding Serenade
Next: TEST -- DO NOT PUBLISH!!!

Comments

I'm with you on the Pink Floyd. And what about Grand Master Flash, or the Sugar Hill Gang? They changed the world, give them a nod.

Posted by: me | November 21, 2006 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I CANNOT BELIEVE they left off Green Day's American Idiot.

Coltrane on the Gentle Side, an album w/Johnny Hartman which includes the greatest romantic ballad of all time (My One and Only Love)

Peter, Paul and Mary's "Album 1700" or "No Easy Walk to Freedom."

Bob Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks."

Posted by: b | November 21, 2006 11:01 AM | Report abuse

"I'm pretty fixated on the Pink Floyd shut out. "Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wall" are both overplayed, but both undeniably ground-breaking albums that rocked. And that's to say nothing of "Meddle," or "Wish You Were Here" or "Animals" or "Obscured by Clouds." Not that I'm a fan or anything."

Liz, are you married? Because I have fallen head over heels for you because of that one statement.

First, I think making such a list as 100 best albums of all time is a worthless feat, yet still repeated time after time. But I won't read even look at this list if "Dark Side of the Moon" is not included--from musical, production, and lyrical perspectives, it is a tour de force. It was transcedental--a rock album that waxed philosophical (namely existentialism).

I'm sure the Who's Tommy is on this list, but not The Wall, which delved into deeper and scarier aspects of the human psyche? Not to mention the killer guitar solos on "Another Brick in the Wall part 2" and "Comfortably Numb." And Wish You Were Here (the album's) sad retelling of the fate of Syd Barrett through haunting blues--not good enough for this list? No mention of the debut album, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, which was the quintessential piece of work from the late 60s pschydelia craze in London (and a huge influence on later bands such as Sonic Youth)?

So forget this list--it's a joke. More proof that most mainstream rock writers are idiots.

(Call me, Liz!)

Posted by: gavin d'order | November 21, 2006 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I don't like the 2000s at all.

Pete Yorn's album musicforthemorningafter was the top album for Rolling Stone 2 years in a row (2001, 2002) because they didn't think anything good came out in 2002. Not that I'm saying he should be on the list, but the 2000s are really weak

Posted by: m.d. | November 21, 2006 11:05 AM | Report abuse

maybe it's just me but here are albums left off the list that should have been there.

Crosby Stills and Nash (the first)

Dark Side of the Moon

The Doors

Blood on the Tracks - Dylan

Buffalo Springfield

Joni Mitchell - Blue

Metalica - The Black Album

Santana - greatest hits

Norah Jones

Posted by: stephen | November 21, 2006 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Blood on the Tracks is a big miss on their part. Music from Big Pink is another. From the 80s, Richard and Linda Thompson's Shoot Out the Lights is a must.

Posted by: SteveH | November 21, 2006 11:14 AM | Report abuse

No Pretenders! Holy critter.

Posted by: Edmund Rubbra | November 21, 2006 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I also can't believe they put an Elvis compilation over American Idiot in the 2000s. From the '90s, what about the Counting Crows' debut album, August and Everything After? A much better album than Oasis' album.

Posted by: PLS | November 21, 2006 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, overplayed but still great: Layla and other assorted love songs by Derek and the Dominoes.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 21, 2006 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the earlier comment that this list is a joke. Trying to make a list of the 100 greatest albums is always bound to be a failing exercise, no matter which way you cut it. Inevitably, countless albums will be left out that are considered worthy.
On that note, I could make a case for Pearl Jam's "Ten", the aforementioned Pink Floyd stuff, Radiohead's "The Bends", and the Chili Peppers' "Blood Sugar....."

Posted by: SuperCharger | November 21, 2006 11:26 AM | Report abuse

What about Michael Jackson's Off the Wall? Or Lauryn Hill's The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill? And I have to co-sign on Sugar Hill Gang and Green Day's American Idiot.

Posted by: TC | November 21, 2006 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Others have already noted the two most glaring ommissions in Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks. Other than the rap/hip-hop albums, Time's choices for the 2000s are pretty ridiculous. A compilation album can not be one of the top 100 albums of all time... and if it could be, these compilations aren't the right ones. (Wouldn't the Anthology of American Folk Music and the Nuggets series be better bets for important compilation albums? How about the Woodstock soundtrack...?)

In the 2000s, Green Day's American Idiot should replace Radiohead's Kid A. I'd also include Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and maybe Fountains of Wayne's Welcome Interstate Managers.

The 90s should include Jane's Addiction's Ritual de Lo Habitual, The La's "The La's," Metallica's Black Album, and Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream.

And, um, REM's Out of Time just does not hold up....

Posted by: Matt B. | November 21, 2006 11:29 AM | Report abuse

OK, from the 90's what about the Black Crowes "Shake Your Money Maker?" I think that got a little airplay. From the 80's they missed bunch (were these like best selling? Cuz that still doesn't seem right - again, where is dark side?) Who is the genius that made this list? (I know Time, but what resident oracle?) Best is subjective - for me top 100 would have some T Rex, 10 Years After, Hot Tuna, oh, and how about just every Zeppelin, Hendrix and Doors album. Ever hear of Van Halen??? I would add "Pyromania" in the 80's - maybe Joe Satriani "Surfing w/the Alien" <- (best at proving there is still some musical talent in the world).
The Rolling Stones "Exile" granted it had some hits, but they had much more powerful issues. Some Girls comes to mind for a comeback (ever hear a song called "Miss You?") the list is pure BS amd a miss.

Posted by: Mugsy | November 21, 2006 11:30 AM | Report abuse

WAY too much R.E.M. and U2, with a bias toward their worst albums! Hole? Mary J. Blige? Just plain insulting to artists who have contributed some actual innovation or talent to music history. And using so many compilation and retrospective albums is a weak cop-out, in place of looking at the artists' actual catalogs; I honestly don't think anyone finds an Elvis box set "influential" in the 2000s. And Anyone who was alive in the 80s knows that it was not a Chuck Berry kind of decade....

Other than that I think this list is surprisingly good, for what it is.

I would sub some of the garbage above with Gil Scott-Heron, Elvis Costello, Buddy Holly (?!?!?!?!?), The Animals, WAR, The Meters, Booker T. and the MGs, slip Beck into the 90s column, Sweet Honey in the Rock, and for the love of God, where is Lee Perry and the Upsetters?

Posted by: 36 year old | November 21, 2006 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Hello, BECK???

Posted by: Steven | November 21, 2006 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I can't really think of an album I would have included that won't be met with a reasonable argument. However, three are several albums that should not have made the cut: First, Oasis? a modern Beatles tribute band should not be on this list. Second, I love the beatles, but the White Album? And they left off anything in the Early Beatles collection, like Help. Third, How can no good (new) music have come from the 2000s, except for Kanye West?

Posted by: BB | November 21, 2006 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Leaving off "Appetite for Destruction" should be a crime. It's the apotheosis of hair metal and it influenced countless musicians who followed Guns N' Roses. And I'm in total agreement about Pink Floyd being left out. I'd go for "Dark Side of the Moon" over "The Wall" because I think DSOTM is a tighter, leaner album, but either one would be worthy of a top 100 list. Green Day's "American Idiot" should be on the 2000's list too.

Compilations do not belong on any list of top albums. In the entry for Phil Spector's Back to Mono in 1981, TIME quotes Spector as saying an album is two hits and ten pieces of junk. Most albums are full of junk, so I think any list of the top albums should honor those artists who were able to put together collections of songs that either fit together well or are part of an overarching concept. There are many great examples already on the list, so if they dropped the compilations they could include albums like "DSOTM" and "Tommy."

Posted by: Peter Cavan | November 21, 2006 11:39 AM | Report abuse

How can a compilation released in 2005 be considered one of the "greatest and most influential records ever"? These people are morons.

Posted by: Tony | November 21, 2006 11:40 AM | Report abuse

The Cult's Electric?!?!?! Or Love? Come on! They rock. Still!

Posted by: And they left out the Cult? | November 21, 2006 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Leaving Arthur Lee and Love off is also a big miss.... I went back and got Five String Serenade after he died recently, and it holds up well.

Jeff Buckley should also have been represented, maybe "Grace?"

It IS dumb--but still fun--to try to compile a list.

Posted by: b | November 21, 2006 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Liz,

Thanks so much for this post! Every five or six years I take a look at lists like this and it reminds me of how much I love many of these albums and artists. Totally shakes me out of my musical rut.

I'm primarily a hip-hop fan, but I have deep seated affection for Radiohead and many other rock groups (and R&B and Jazz) that provide a respite from emceeing.

I would add Wu-Tang Clan's "Enter the 36 Chambers" to any best of list. Kanye West has admitted that he stole his high pitched soul sample technique (Alvin and the Chipmunks sound) from Wu-Tang's sonic master, the RZA. Wu-Tang is clearly one of the best, if not the best hip-hop group - EVER (sorry Public Enemy). Wu-Tang introduced us to some of the most charismatic and talented emcees to bless the mic: Method Man, Ghostface, Raekwan the Chef, the Genius, and the irrepressible Old Dirty Bastard (r.i.p.), among others.

Thanks again!

Posted by: tubbs | November 21, 2006 11:42 AM | Report abuse

And they:

Totally - the Cult's "Love" pretty much ruled the 80s and put some hair-bands in their place!

Posted by: Yup | November 21, 2006 11:44 AM | Report abuse

T.Rex: Electric Warrior

Posted by: No-brainer | November 21, 2006 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Indie bands got no love on these lists.

Belle and Sebastian's If You're Feeling Sinister, the most perfect twee album ever produced, and perhaps my favorite album of all time, is missing from the list.

Also, some seminal missing bands:

The Magnetic Fields-69 Love Songs
Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground
Smiths - The Smiths
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Sleater-Kinney - All Hands on the Bad One

Posted by: Rita | November 21, 2006 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Hmm. The Cult's good, but not *that* good, IMO.

I'd have to agree that GNR's "Appetite" was hugely influential.

I'm a bit shocked that Queen's "News of the World" was left off; most of the musicians I know have that in their CD players, and they're always going on about how that album was a masterpiece of musical flexibility and pop/rock craft, and how they wish they could pull an album like that off.

Eh, the list is good fodder for barroom discussions, anyway.

bc

Posted by: bc | November 21, 2006 11:55 AM | Report abuse

The picking of the compilation albums is indeed bizarre; the whole album list gets maybe 15 of the top 100 right. (Zep IV over II? No Floyd, G'n'R, and where's Sing Along With Mitch????)

Anyway, Time has a habit of making poor picks. Just look at their Person of The Year picks: Peter Ueberroth; Rudy Giuliani; Ted Turner; the Apollo 13 astronauts; Harlow Curtice ("Who?" you ask? He was the President of General Motors from '53 to '58).

Posted by: byoolin | November 21, 2006 12:02 PM | Report abuse

OK, those of you who think not much good has come out in the 2000s are just showing your age and your bias. You just like the songs from when you were younger.

Well, as a younger person who knows the 2000s better, I will tell you that one of the greatest albums to come out in this decade is the Killers' "Hot Fuss". They beat out any compilation.

Posted by: Ryan | November 21, 2006 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I think the reason both lists lack 2000 albums is because a great album stands the test of time and we're too temporally close to know Hit Me Baby One More Time from The Wall.

Posted by: Rita | November 21, 2006 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Well, it's got "Kind of Blue" and "A Love Supreme," so its jazz bases are covered. Sigh...

I would have preferred to see Nirvana Unplugged instead of Nevermind. The live disc, to me, is far superior.

And yeah, the 2000 list is a complete joke. It was clearly put together by older listeners without a clue.

Posted by: DG | November 21, 2006 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I admit I'm stuck in the 80's, but:

Billy Joel - The Stranger;
John Lennon/Yoko Ono - Double Fantasy;
John Mellencamp - American Fool;
Bruce Springsteen - Born in the U.S.A.

Posted by: Ike | November 21, 2006 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Time's list is better than Rolling Stone's. But here are some essential albums that were left out:

Big Star: Radio City
T Rex: Electric Warrior or The Slider
Todd Rundgren: Something/Anything
Mott the Hoople: All the Young Dudes
XTC: Skylarking
Harry Nilsson: Nilsson Schmilsson
The Smiths: The Queen is Dead
Pixies: Doolittle

Posted by: Blindfish | November 21, 2006 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Where are the Kinks??? They are easily one of the most overlooked bands of all time! They have at least 5 albums that could and should be on any list: 'Arthur', 'Village Green Preservation Society', 'Face To Face', 'Something Else', and 'Muswell Hillbillies'

Lennon/McCartney, Jaggar/Richards, Roger Waters, Pete Townsend -- they all wish they could write as well as Ray Davies.

Posted by: pcook | November 21, 2006 12:34 PM | Report abuse

So, let me get this straight, they include Hole, but leave out The Pretenders????

Posted by: J.I. | November 21, 2006 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall are overplayed because they are two of the greatest albums ever written. Any list that leaves out Pink Floyd is not to be taken seriously.

Posted by: Ian | November 21, 2006 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Making a list of the "greatest of all time" and then going by decades seems contradictory. Maybe "greatest of each decade" would at least pin it down correctly. Hole? How? PJ Harvey...give me a break...No Emmylou Harris? Trying to be inclusive means this isn't a best of all time, it a best of what they wanted to include list. They're morons. There were a 100 albums in the 60's better than half of these.

Posted by: JP | November 21, 2006 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I guess Chrissie Hynde's problem was she didn't do enough drugs.

Posted by: Blindfish | November 21, 2006 12:39 PM | Report abuse

This list rules. I mean, all you haters, just remember that if Elvis hadn't recorded those seminal Sun tracks in the '90s, we would have never had Hank Williams, Muddy Waters, OR Sam Cooke in the 2000s. And everyone knows Chuck Berry's GREAT TWENTY EIGHT (1982) owes its entire existence to precursors like THE HARDER THEY COME and TALKING BOOK, not to mention ARE YOU EXPERIENCED.

And who can forget Plastic Ono Band's great album entitled JOHN LENNON? Yep, great list.

Posted by: Max | November 21, 2006 12:41 PM | Report abuse

No Pink Floyd...but they include Hole and Kanye West....WTF?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 21, 2006 12:41 PM | Report abuse

What about Pearl Jam? Although I'm not a huge fan, 'Ten' and maybe 'Vitalogy' certainly should make the 1990's list....I mean for awhile there, Pearl Jam and Nirvana were the biggest bands in rock since the Beatles and Rolling Stones....

Posted by: fred | November 21, 2006 12:44 PM | Report abuse

OK, we all agree the list is a non-list and very lame.

Here's some more: Frampton Comes Alive, Saturday Night Fever (I think those two sold a couple copies...)

and what about Deep Purple "Machine Head!"
possibly the best heavy metal album of all time.

Disraeli Gears or Wheels of Fire?

I guess Electric Ladyland wasn't that great...

Dreamboat Annie, Little Queen?

The Last Waltz?

How about aything by Judas Priest, they never sold many albums...

Yes Fragile

(more prog rock: Brain Salad Surgery, Low Spark, Foxtrot, the Lamb, In the Court)

Rock N Roll Animal (Lou Reed)

and no VH! Who ruled the eighties rock scene if it wasn't the noiz boyz of Man Wailin'!

Pathetically lame compilation that has no relevance to anything. It's just wrong.

Posted by: Mugsy | November 21, 2006 12:45 PM | Report abuse

From the 60's - "The Fugs First Album" by The Fugs (of course).

Posted by: Roscoe | November 21, 2006 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Take off the two REM albums and replace them with either REM's Murmur or Reckoning.

Posted by: JMS | November 21, 2006 12:49 PM | Report abuse

So they pick one Talking Heads album...and they pick a live album that isn't even their best one (it's the best concert movie of all time though). Interesting.

They pick two R.E.M. albums and nowhere near their best (come on, Out of Time was their biggest seller, I believe, but it gave us Shiny Happy People AND Radio Song).

I have personal favorites, of course, that didn't make it (they picked the wrong Pavement album, for example), but yeah, this list is just ridiculous.

Posted by: Josh | November 21, 2006 12:52 PM | Report abuse

At least a list is better than a ranking. Music is an art form, a subjective matter of taste; no one can compile a clear set of criteria that can identify a #1, #2, #3.

Nearly all the lists leave out groundbreakers like "Close to the Edge" and "The Yes Album"...Not that I'm a fan or anything...

Posted by: DAWords | November 21, 2006 12:52 PM | Report abuse

First off....compilation albums, greatest hits, etc., should not be allowed on the list. And Hank Williams has been dead for almot 60 years! Why is he in the 2000s section?

Also , for the 2000s, they need Ryan Adams "Gold"...and for the 1990s, Our Lady Peace "Happiness...Is Not A Fish That You Can Catch", and Live "The Distance To Here".

Posted by: Burke | November 21, 2006 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I don't think anthologies and best of albums should make the list. If you are going to list the "most influential" albums by decade - shouldn't "Saturday Night Fever" be listed? I am not saying it was the "greatest" album but I would say it was very influential for its era.

Posted by: Trunk_CHV | November 21, 2006 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Some of the suggestions here are as inane as the Time selections, but overall the readers here are more astute than those who compiled Time's embarrassing list.

Posted by: PN | November 21, 2006 12:56 PM | Report abuse

What's left to be said? Compilations should automatically be DQed, especially 30 years after the fact (Elvis, Chuck Berry, etc.)!!! Gotta have Floyd, DSOTM and The Wall are two of the most influential albums of all-time. I mean, c'mon, who hasn't listened to rock and NOT seen The Wall movie!! I like the nominations for Pearl Jam's Vitalogy and Nirvana Unplugged. Those are GREAT albums, and would at least show some sort-of thought process, rather than a Top 20 list. GnR ... saw them open for Motley Crue in 1986; blew the Crue away then, and that was saying something!! More Zeppelin, less Beatles. Buddy Holly, Sugar Hill Gang, Beck's Odelay!! Glad to see Paul's Boutique, but License to Ill was seminal album that still holds influence (and rocks) today!! Def Leppard's Hysteria was also revolutionary.

Gawd, how horribly wrong is this list?!?!?!

Posted by: chris | November 21, 2006 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I am amazed that no pink floyd albums made the list. I wonder if they are not on a label affiliated with TIME. Also, Rush's 2112 or Moving Pictures are great concept albums that are better than lots of albums that made the list.

Posted by: Joel | November 21, 2006 1:01 PM | Report abuse

An Elvis Presley album from 1999? That should be translated as "This list is a joke; no need to read further."

Posted by: Loudoun Voter | November 21, 2006 1:04 PM | Report abuse

This has a little something for everyone, but it doesn't add up to much. No 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot'? No 'Soft Bulletin'? No 'Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society'? Come on, now. Somebody's been nappin'.

Posted by: MD | November 21, 2006 1:12 PM | Report abuse

That Beck's "Odelay," and Peter Gabriel's "III" and "Security" are missing demonstrates what a limited, of-the-moment survey this is.

All three were revolutionary in that they altered our sonic landscape, were incredibly influential to other artists, and changed the way we think about music.

Posted by: benjamin | November 21, 2006 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I would suggest Cloud Nine by the Temptations.

Posted by: RTD | November 21, 2006 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Ummm, where is U.S. Senator Robert Byrd's "Mountain Fiddler"?

Posted by: Spencer | November 21, 2006 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I will agree this list sucks, but people stop bashing Elvis. Even if you hate him, you've got to respect the King for what he did for rock 'n roll, i.e. making it main stream.
That being said, where the heck is GNR?!?! Axel Rose should be throwing one of his classic hissy fits right now and I hope he's doing it Time's office.
And I agree with Burke, Ryan Adams was robbed.

Posted by: Melissa | November 21, 2006 1:36 PM | Report abuse

No Clapton anywhere on the list in any of his iterations (Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominoes)!?!?

At least one of the following should be on the list:
Disraeli Gears
Blind Faith
Layla and other Assorted Love Songs
Slowhand

That said, at least they made and published the list to start the debate...that's where the fun is.

Posted by: Mark | November 21, 2006 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Hole?
ummm....
they take Hole over NIN's Pretty Hate Machine?

worthless...

Posted by: Quintilius Varus | November 21, 2006 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I do find it a little disturbing that Elvis got nominated in two decades for which he couldn't have been involved in the album release...

Were the albums he released when he was alive just not that influential? I think that any historian would argue otherwise.

Posted by: Hah! | November 21, 2006 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Also...not much non-vocal music on the list. What about techno? IDM? Squarepusher and Aphex Twin surely deserve a place on the list...along with many others.

And while we're at it...what about the great classical music tradition of the last 600 years? Surely Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart deserve a piece.

Posted by: Rita | November 21, 2006 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Garbage! Not the band, the list. But at least it helps fritter away the hours in an offhand way. With, without. Who'll deny it's what the fighting's all about.

Posted by: Ttlsccr | November 21, 2006 1:43 PM | Report abuse

What about the Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed? One of the early concept albums.....

Posted by: M | November 21, 2006 1:44 PM | Report abuse

These lists are always pointless exercises, but, yeah. If you put on Kayne West but leave off "Dark Side", you've really lost all credibility.

Mistakes:

"Thriller", the overslick, overhyped monster that ultimately killed Michael Jackson by making him too big for planet earth. No album featuring "The Girl Is Mine" is a 100-best ANYTHING. Should have been replaced with the cooler, smoother "Off the Wall".

"Paranoid", which, like Ozzy, is more famous than great.

"Live Through This". While there are some awesome cuts on this disc, they ultimately leave you feeling cheated. Hole could have and should have been more than it was. The depth and emotional punch Love flashes here just aren't sustained, and like her career, eventually disintegrate into a messy puddle of undirected screams. What's puzzling is how this disc got on the list over myriad far superior girl rockers ("Jagged Little Pill", "Exile in Guyville", "Pretenders". Even Kelly Clarkson's "Breakaway"; or Janet Jackson's "Control", a rock record disguised as hip-hop).

Omissions:

Rod Stewart, "Every Picture Tells a Story". It breaks my heart the "American Standards" Stewart is all that remains of a man who once created masterworks like this. "Story" is the blues, it's gospel, it's singer as storyteller. When Stewart sings "Amazing Grace", your iPod becomes a church. When he croons "Maggie May", it sounds as fresh and astounding as ever. When he covers "I'm Losing You", he outsouls the Temptations, and NO ONE outsouls the Temptations. Rod Stewart is a star for a reason, and every once in a while it's a good idea to play "Story" and remind yourself why.

The Smiths, "The Queen is Dead". Every angsty emo band owes The Smiths a royalty. Lead singer Morrissey packaged his pessimistic worldview with guitarist Johnny Marr's country-western-influenced guitar, and a rapier wit he often turned on himself, as in the title track ("She said 'I know you and you cannot sing'/I said that's nothing, you should hear me play piano").

Creedence Clearwater Revival, "Green River". CCR seems to be fading from the rock lexicon, which is a shame. Few bands were ever more careful to craft such a distinctive voice, rooted firmly in American rhythms and traditions. Their music's timeless, mythic quality is typified by the songs on "Green River". Never was there a more dire sing-along than "Bad Moon Rising".

The Cars, "The Cars". Picture rock radio without "Good Times Roll", "You're All I've Got Tonight", or "My Best Firend's Girlfriend". Can you? Didn't think so.
The 80's just wouldn't have sounded like the 80's without The Cars. Their 1978 debut fuses rock, new wave and pop into a subtly hard-edged, yet accessible classic.

Alanis Morissette, "Jagged Little Pill". Have we grown out of our Alanis-backlash yet? Has enough time passed that we can say, yes, "Ironic" isn't really ironic, and "Jagged" still stands with "Nevermind" as the seminal albums of the 90's? That there's no greater mood improver than listening to "Hand In Pocket"? That "You Oughta Know" is one of the best, singles, EVER?

Depeche Mode, "Some Great Reward". Hey, Time- why not remove one of the seven rap albums you shoehorned into this list, and give some love to 80's oddly-coiffed English college radio bands? The Cure's "Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me" would be good. Awesome tunes, including that one that goes "Show me show me show me how you do that trick, the one that makes me scream she said". No? Robert Smith's hair a bit too scary? OK, how about Depeche Mode's classic "Reward", which runs the gamut- you have "People are People" for radio-friendly synth-pop. "Master and Servant" if you're feeling randy. "Somebody" if you're in the mood for a crystal-pure, achingly simple ballad. And "Blasphemous Rumours" if you're feeling, well, blasphemous.

Posted by: howlless | November 21, 2006 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I agree with The Smiths, American Idiot, The Pretenders and especially Dark Side of the Moon. And they have the wrong REM and U2 albums.

Other missing albums include The Cars, The B-52s, Surrealistic Pillow
(Jefferson Airplane), Layla (Derek and the Dominoes), My Aim is True (Elvis Costello), Abraxas (Santana), Remain in Light (Talking Heads), This is Our Music (Galaxie 500). Parallel Lines (Blondie).

Posted by: gdc | November 21, 2006 1:46 PM | Report abuse

To the person who cited an omission of Joni Mitchell's Blue, it is indeed there. But that's where my agreement with this list pretty much ends. U2's Joshua Tree was fantastic, but listen to War or Boy to really find out where their roots are. Achtung Baby doesn't need to be on this list. Guns N' Roses not being there is unfreakin' believable, as is there being no Pearl Jam.

Posted by: KT | November 21, 2006 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe there were 50 posted comments before we see some Peter Gabriel love. I really think So is his best release. III is a little bleaker in total, but includes the killers Games Without Frontiers & Biko.

Also, going with the popular sentiment so far, Pink Floyd has 3 albums that belong here. And Hole? Yes. WTF? I'll go with Pretty Hate machine too. It really was the first really successful electronic album that I can think of. Listing Nirvana, but excluding Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam is crap city. Dirt and Ten, respectively, both belong. And where's the Wu Tang love?

DJ shadow should be listed twice. They gave him Endtroducing, which was a genre creating work, but left out Private Press which was the genre perfecting work.

Posted by: steve | November 21, 2006 1:49 PM | Report abuse

They were obviously HIGH when they made this list. No Elvis Costello? Even aside from the Pink Floyd omission, NO ELVIS COSTELLO? No Band? Please. It's not even worth getting cranked over this.

Posted by: Lisa | November 21, 2006 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I am shocked that "Quadrophenia" isn't on there.
Also where are the Police? And Sting? Is that too girly or something?
And "Wish You Were Here?"
Of course I would also include in the 70-80's pile, the Violent Femmes and Peter Gabriel.

Posted by: Barb | November 21, 2006 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it kind of a given that this list is totally subjective? The word "BEST" usually is.

I would like to add "Loveless" by My Bloody Valentine.

My top 100 albums of all time would be very different from top 100 important & influential albums of all time.

Pink Floyd would be on the latter, but not the former, as would a number of the bands that made the list.

Posted by: Chris K | November 21, 2006 2:03 PM | Report abuse

>>>I admit I'm stuck in the 80's, but:

Billy Joel - The Stranger;
John Lennon/Yoko Ono - Double Fantasy;
John Mellencamp - American Fool;
Bruce Springsteen - Born in the U.S.A

I'm also stuck there - but I'd include Billy Joel's The Nylon Curtain, Police's Synchronicity - they saved the best for the last, and what about the 80's soundtracks - Miami Vice, Footloose, Top Gun, etc... Those were great!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: amwhite | November 21, 2006 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Looks to me to be a top 100 albums compiled by people with a particuarly skewed sense of "top". Not only are there lots of great albums missing, many of those included left me shaking my head. What on earth are you thinking? It's not even worth the effort to list what's right (not much) and what's wrong (a pile); better to start over from scratch.

Posted by: Mark | November 21, 2006 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Just reading the other entries, and I totally agree that Elvis Costello should have been on there instead of so much of the dead Elvis.
Agree 100 percent should have been different REM, and included Buddy Holly and Jefferson Airplane. I think popularity/record sales were taken more into consideration than ground-breaking music (which usually counts for very little in any of the arts, by the way.)
What about John Coltrane's "My Favorite Things." Does it get better than that?

Posted by: Barb | November 21, 2006 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Here's another vote for Moody Blues Days of Future Passed from 1967. They were way ahead of their time.

At least they've got Who's Next.

Posted by: Rockville | November 21, 2006 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Supertramp's "Breakfast in America"
INXS "Kick"
Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon"
Pink Floyd "The Wall"

and a whole bunch of others that everybody else has mentioned.

Posted by: Dan | November 21, 2006 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Police "Synchronicity"

and I also vote for John Coltrane's "My Favorite Things"

Posted by: Daniel | November 21, 2006 2:14 PM | Report abuse

At least Pavement is on there, I can live with that.

Posted by: Sarah S | November 21, 2006 2:18 PM | Report abuse

the list is dominated by rock. i like rock and all, but there's really a lot more to the world's music. To say that the best music of all time was made in america or europe during the latter half of the 20th century from is frankly offensive.

The only defense i can imagine is the flimsy word 'album', but their inclusion of things like the hank williams box set pretty much renders the entire enterprise bogus. As far as influential material released as a box set, how about the smithsonian history of jazz?

i see no reason why classical music from around the world is missing. No gamelan, no bach, no indian classical music - while not exactly surprising it's certainly a gross error. The Dagar Brothers' rendition of Rag Kambhoji is among the finest pieces of music ever written anywhere.

There is no Louis Armstrong on the list. Need i say more?

Posted by: George | November 21, 2006 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Cream's Disraeli Gears was a vanguard album. As was Jefferson Airplane's Crown of Creation. I would also include Traffic's Shootout at the Fantasy Factory, The Eagles' Desperado, Ronstadt's Heart Like Wheel, and the Grateful Dead's American Beauty.

Posted by: Linda | November 21, 2006 2:22 PM | Report abuse

If they had qualified it as the top 100 _Pop_ albums of all time then i could live with it.

Posted by: George | November 21, 2006 2:23 PM | Report abuse

OK - I grew up in the 70s and there was no album bigger than Jethro Tull's "Aqualung." Current tastes sometime create a revisionist history. But those of us who were there were listening to things like "Aqualung" Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" (huge)Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" and not a lot of Van Morrison, as is now falsely "remembered" by the history revisionists. Tull dominated the first half of the 70's and after "Aqualung" had two #1 albums with "Thick as a Brick" and "A Passion Play." Tull was not a "guilty pleasure" in their hey day.

Posted by: Gregg T | November 21, 2006 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Well here's a thought, how can anybody talk about the best albums and use expressions like "that changed the world" and not mention musicians like Ibrahim Ferrer, Edith Piaf, Miriam Makeba, Gotan Project, Manu Chao, Madredeus, Fela Kuti, Laibach and others from other parts of the world. There is a life beyond MTV world and there is music outside british-american cultural circle. And not everything that's not done in english is etno/world music. Seriously, this list doesn't have anything to do with changing the world, it marely changed MTV (or not even that).
P.S. I couldn't agree more about the crime of letting out Pink Floyd.

Posted by: Freya | November 21, 2006 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Ttlsccr, very nice. Subtle even.

Posted by: Liz | November 21, 2006 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I know I lose all indie cred when I say this (the mating cry of the hipster: their first album was better!), but if they wanted to put a comp on the list, I like the Best of the Smiths vol 1 better than any single Smiths album.

And yes, I'm a bad person.

Also, big ups to George for reminding us that other cultures have culture -- including music.

Mmm...who's ready to celebrate the hypocrisy of the white man with some turkey?

Posted by: Rita | November 21, 2006 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I was happy to see Carole King on the list, but where's James Taylor? Also, call me cheesy but Maria Carey should be on there somewhere as should TLC.

Posted by: wp reader | November 21, 2006 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I must have misread this list. Where's 2Pac?

Posted by: petal | November 21, 2006 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Liege and Leaf-Fairport Convention-1969--Both excellent and influential

Posted by: Joe | November 21, 2006 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm not as worked up about this as other posters, but I did notice that the 1980s section lacked any alternative or underground or college rock, which proved much more influential in the long run than "Graceland" or "The Stone Roses." ("Document" doesn't count -- R.E.M. was more or less a mainstream band by that point.) At least make a nod toward the Pixies, the Minutemen or The Replacements -- "Nevermind" is more influenced by the Pixies' "Doolittle" than it is by any of the Beatles' work.

Posted by: Brian | November 21, 2006 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Rolling Stone's list isn't too far off. I saw one comment mentioning Fragile by YES. I recommend Close to the Edge by YES and something by Santana has to be there like Abraxas.

Posted by: brother cub | November 21, 2006 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Dead Kennedys, Plastic Surgery Disasters.

Posted by: Always Room for Jello | November 21, 2006 3:30 PM | Report abuse

At least Rolling Stone had 500 on their list. It's hard to say "best" about anything, and there is so much great music, but the Time list is a real dud in so many ways. And to the previous poster who questioned Hank Williams, sorry but he qualifies to be near the top of any list. Many of those on Times list list would agree.

Posted by: JP | November 21, 2006 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Many good comments from all, with reminders of oversights I hadn't noticed --especially Floyd, GNR, and Green Day's American Idiot. Biggest omissions--Let It Bleed by the Stones; Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore East, Metallica (Black Album), Pretty Hate Machine by NIN, nothing by RHCP (I vote for Californication), and nothing by Creedence.

The greatest sin though is no Electric Ladyland. I don't see any albums on this list that are better than that.

Posted by: bfish | November 21, 2006 3:38 PM | Report abuse

No Kinks? None at all?

Are they out of their blithering minds???

Posted by: dcook | November 21, 2006 3:48 PM | Report abuse

IN the intro, the writers state, "until we had a list of the greatest and most influential records ever." According to who? Any compilation released in the after 2000 cannot be influential. The songs on it can be influential, but the album itself cannot be. And the list is for albums. They can't even understand their own criteria. Pathetic.

I would have included: A Smiths album (Queen is Dead or Meat is Murder
Depeche Mode - Violator
Billie Holiday - Lady in Satin (the lack of vocal jazz on the list is criminal)
David Bowie - Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust
Led Zeppelin 2
Joy Division - Closer

Posted by: Jeff | November 21, 2006 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I didn't see Dire Straits or Steely Dan. Dire Straits provided tight guitar licks and great music. Steely Dan's Aja albumn was fantastic.

Posted by: Jim | November 21, 2006 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Ridiculous.

I'd include:

-Billy Holliday
-Violent Femmes
-Sonic Youth
-Pink Floyd
-Pixies
-Peter Gabriel
-Guns N Roses

Posted by: Steven P. | November 21, 2006 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Some of my picks were either egregiously absent or reflect my personal favorite albums, a taste I admit may not be shared by the rest of the world.

1960s
Are You Experienced?, Jimi Hendrix, which needs no explanation.

1970s
Blood on the Tracks, Bob Dylan (It has "Tangled up in Blue," a song in a class by itself.)
Closing Time, Tom Waits

1980s
Synchronicity, the Police
Songs You Know by Heart, Jimmy Buffett

1990s
Tragic Kingdom, No Doubt (heralded the heyday of ska-inspired pop)
the soundtrack to Singles (featured Alice in Chains and Soundgarden, among other grunge royalty)
Achtung Baby, U2
Before These Crowded Streets - Dave Matthews Band
Core - Stone Temple Pilots

2000s
Get Born, Jet (has it all over the Killers' Hot Fuss, which fizzles after the fifth track)
Contraband, Velvet Revolver

Posted by: musicdork | November 21, 2006 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I Never Loved a Man - Arethea Frankline
Are You Experienced - Jimi Hendrix
Aja - Steely Dan

Posted by: Jim | November 21, 2006 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I think the article should be revised to reflect results of an internet survey of top artists in each era, so that at least those who are still alive can put an end to the debate of who should have been or who shouldn't have been "on the list".

Posted by: inallfairness | November 21, 2006 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Elton John has the BEST catalog in music history. Period. SOME of the best albums of all time: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy. No one else can even compare to Elton. (although the Beatles come close)

Posted by: Elton fan | November 21, 2006 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Uncle Tupelo's "Anodyne" changed music in the early 90s.

Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" is a classic.

Posted by: Tweedy Fan | November 21, 2006 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Pantera's Great Southern Trendkill was the best album from the best metal band of the 90s. Sepultura's Roots was a seminal album too.

And Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull belongs on the list. Lots of bands can put a bunch of songs on a record, those guys made complete albums.

Posted by: Matt | November 21, 2006 5:08 PM | Report abuse

One Springsteen album (Born to Run) is a travesty. I would add at least Nebraska and Born in the USA.

Same for Neil Young who got one measly album (After the Goldrush). What about Tonight's the Night or Rust Never Sleeps?

If Radiohead gets two albums in the top 100, Springsteen and Young, each of who has been making popular and relevant music for over 30 years, deserve better.

Posted by: Everyman | November 21, 2006 5:09 PM | Report abuse

So glad LuLu got some love--Car Wheels is amazing. But no Disintegration (The Cure)? Unforgivable.

Posted by: Lizpoppe | November 21, 2006 5:09 PM | Report abuse

um, what about Hole's Live Through This? How about some Weezer? How about Eva Cassidy? This list is just bizarro. And yes, Blood on the Tracks' omission is proof this is nonsense, as is the choice of Stones album.

Posted by: Alex | November 21, 2006 5:10 PM | Report abuse

The omission of either The Byrds' Sweetheart of the Rodeo or Gram Parsons' GP is unforgiveable.

Posted by: Country Rock | November 21, 2006 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Pearl Jam - Ten

Posted by: Jm J. Bullock | November 21, 2006 5:16 PM | Report abuse

No Elvis Costello? Once I realized that, I gave no creedence to the list.

Posted by: Chris, DC | November 21, 2006 5:18 PM | Report abuse

So sad, what a terrible list. How do you rank acompilation among the all-time greatest albums? Compilations are cherry-picked hits. Albums are theses on music and a genre all to themselves. Who are these jokers who came up with this list and omitted such phoenomenal albums as:

Blood Sugar Sex Magic
Blowout Comb
Doggystyle
Rattle and Hum
The Wall
The Dance
Bleach
Disraeli Gears
Appetite for Destruction

Posted by: Bob | November 21, 2006 5:20 PM | Report abuse

What's missing?

1. anything at all by Tupac
2. Green Day's American Idiot
3. Springsteen's The Rising (come on, it's at least more influential to the 2000s than, say, four compilation albums)
4. a bunch of things by Pink Floyd
5. Pearl Jam
6. Heart
7. The Pretenders

And a bunch of other artists/albums that others have already said.

Really, including four compilation albums in the aughts is ridiculous. The artists were all influential, yes, but there were other great and influential sounds between 2000 and 2006 - they could have had another Eminem choice, or The White Stripes, or any number of other albums. Those compilations were good, no doubt, but they're not in the right place, and there were other albums from this decade that deserved a slot.

Posted by: riddikulous! | November 21, 2006 5:31 PM | Report abuse

"Getz/Gilberto" by Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto deserves a spot on this list.

Posted by: Adrian Holovaty | November 21, 2006 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Three glaring omissions: (A) "Blood on the Tracks" by Dylan, (B) "Ghost in the Machine" by the Police, and (3) "If You can Believe Your Eyes and Ears" by the Mamas & the Papas. Regarding Dylan, "Blood" represented his artistic zenith, and the production was perfect as a packeage for truly timeless songs that occupied many of the tracks on that album. Re: The Police, "Ghost" represented the coming of age of one of the greatest artistic collaborations of the Rock & Roll era (yeah, it was Sting's band, but Andy Summers and Stuart Copeland were as essential to the sound and vibe of the Police as Sting was, and Sting's solo efforts, as great as they were, never reached the same level). Re: the Mamas & Papas, "Eyes & Ears" brought contrapuntal harmony to Rock & Roll and is undeniable testament to the genius of one of Rock's most tortured souls, R&R hall of famer John Phillips. Finally, leaving "Dark Side" off the list is unconcionable, as it was, I believe, the number one selling album for more than a decade; regardless of what one thinks of "Dark Side's" merits, 20 gazillion or so people who bought that album can't all be wrong.

P.S.: I don't think I saw "What's Going On?" by Marvin Gaye, or anything by Motown in the 60's.

Posted by: Pete | November 21, 2006 6:00 PM | Report abuse

For the love of all that is Holy, how do you leave off The Pogues brilliant If I Should Fall From Grace With God? And where is Electric Ladyland?

Pinheads I'm telling you, pinheads all. Or schmucks. Take your pick....

Posted by: Mikey T | November 21, 2006 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Queensryche, "Operation: Mindcrime"
Jethro Tull, "Aqualung"
Green Day, "Dookie"
Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Blood Sugar Sex
Magic"
Pete Yorn, "musicforthemorningafter"
Elton John, "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"
Barenaked Ladies, "Stunt"
Def Leppard, "Hysteria"

All get regular play at my house.

ps - I agree with George.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 21, 2006 6:15 PM | Report abuse

One glaring omission to me is Whiskey and the Kidney Stones' Gruesome Awesome Spectacle. Hard to find but worth seeking out.

Posted by: Louis | November 21, 2006 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Nothing by the Byrds?

Back in the mid '60s, me and my mates, and pretty much anyone I knew thought that the Byrds were the best band in the US and the only one that was on a par with or superior to the UK bands. 'Younger Than Yesterday' should certainly be on that list.

Also from the '60s, The Youngbloods 'Elephant Mountain', Van Morrison's 'Moondance', and especially Buffalo Springfield's 'Retrospective' HAVE to be there somewhere.

Posted by: Tez | November 21, 2006 7:45 PM | Report abuse

I think this list seriously lacks moody 80s pop. There's no Cure or the Smiths (which are of course, vachement bien!), or even post-9-11 brooding rockers like Interpol.

My list would include:
• Turn on the Bright Lights, Interpol's 2002 debut
• Takk - Sigur Ros
• Ten -- Pearl Jam
• Homework - Daft Punk
• Sea Change - Beck
• Death to the Pixies (it's one heck of a compilation!)
• Yoshimi Battles Pink Robots - Flaming Lips

Posted by: amm | November 21, 2006 8:04 PM | Report abuse

For your approval/disapproval:

70's
KISS Alive
Aerosmith Toys in the Attic
CSNY-Deja Vu

60's
Jefferson Airplane-Volunteers and Surrealistic Pillows- anything that has White Rabbit has to be good
Creedence- Down on the Bayou or Willie and the Poor boys
Led Zeppelin I
Woodstock-the Album; might be a compilation that so many have fussed over, but c'mon, this is great stuff!

Just thought I'd bring these out for discussion. Have a great Thanksgiving all!

Posted by: mike ayers | November 21, 2006 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Very poor list. 2000s should have more. How about Green Day, Coldplay's Rush of Blood to the Head, Interpol (either album), The Strokes Is This It? or The White Stripes White Blood Cells? Flaming Lips? AM's Jagged Little Pill was much more influential than Hole. REM's Automatic for the People is their best. Out of Time has not aged well. Not to mention no Pearl Jam or Smashing Pumpkins!?

Posted by: musicfan | November 21, 2006 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I second Woodstock - The Album. Unlike the other compilations, it actually had something to do with the era in which it was released. You know, like helping define it.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 21, 2006 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Had to come back after watching a bit of AMA tonight ...
Certainly Chilli Pepper's "Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic"; props to the original Run-DMC album, Snoop, Van Halen's "1984"; Herbie Hancock's "Head Hunters" ... as for the post suggesting Bach, Beethoven, etc. That's a nice thought, but those are not true albums, but would be comparable to the compilations/Greatest Hits. These were arrangements, not recordings. But a nice thought, and would have been better than half the crap on this list.

Posted by: chris | November 22, 2006 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Thank goodness they left off all that 50s and 60s rock and roll! Everyone knows it was evil and destroyed the audiences' lives. Especially the Dave Clark 5, Steppenwolf (I have it on good sources that the term "heavy metal" is from their evil song "Born to be Wild"--"heavy metal thunder, etc."), the Flying Burrito Bros., and the Temps. Mister Frank Sinatra, that's the ticket!

Posted by: otis | November 22, 2006 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Do not bother subscribing to the Washington Post if you live in Lexington Park, MD.

I have not had a paper delivered for the last two weeks, the delivery subcontractor does not acknowledge or return phone calls, and neither does the Washington Post.

Don't waste your money paying for a product not delivered.

Posted by: Don't Bother | November 22, 2006 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Putting compilations and greatest hits albums on a "best of" list is such a cop out! And Hole? Please. I was however pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of the Stone Roses - that album just knocked my socks off in '89.

The exclusion of the Pixies' Doolittle from the list is a travesty. I would also have included:

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Sleater Kinney - Dig Me Out
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
New Order - Low Life
Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend
Tommy Keene - Songs From the Film

Yes, indeed Tommy Keene is a homer call, but that is one of the greatest examples of the mid-80's guitar pop out there.

Posted by: D E | November 22, 2006 9:46 AM | Report abuse

A few things:

1. Since the concept of an "album" is only, what, thirty years old, of course they couldn't include Elvis's original "albums" because he didn't really record any. Obviously, they included the albums in the decade they were released, not recorded. You can argue with that criteria, but that's they way they decided to do their list.

2. Liz, you have an awful lot of like-minded people that read Celebritology. Everyone's repeating the same crappy alternative music from the 90s and 00s as somehow being a crime that it's left off.

3. They admitted up front they were leaving off Pink Floyd. Get over it. Lists are made so people like all you posters will get your panties in a bunch.

Posted by: OD | November 22, 2006 10:21 AM | Report abuse

First, OD, suck it.

They forgot:

Leonard Cohen - I'd say his Best Of in the 70's kicked ass..."Famous Blue Raincoat," "So Long Marianne," "Chelsea Hotel #4," c'mon!

Anything by Tom Waits.

At least they have OK Computer.

Posted by: Nick | November 22, 2006 11:13 AM | Report abuse

First omission: Les Paul, who invented multi-track recording, without whom most of these artists would not have created their albums.
Why no pre-Beatles American rock, like the Beach Boys or the Ventures (I don't know specific album titles, but their impact on teenage garage bands was huge)
I second the Getz/Gilberto recommendation.
Also, Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown's Christmas.
also Tijuana Brass, maybe Tijuana Taxi.
I also have to recommend John Williams' Star Wars Soundtrack. (Empire Strikes Back is actually the best of them all).
No Supremes?
No Sonny & Cher?

Posted by: Lindy | November 22, 2006 12:51 PM | Report abuse

The best thing about lists like this is reading the rebuttals and additions. Invariably, I disagree with the critics picks (more often than not, their lists are painfully obvious picks I'm sick of hearing on the radio) but the responses people toss out ("How could you forget _____?") always steer me toward stuff I'd missed otherwise.

Titles I saw in other peoples' lists that I would second:
TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT - Neil Young
SWEETHEART OF THE RODEO - Byrds

To correct the over-abundance of compilations I would add the following studio albums:
ELVIS PRESLEY (first album) or ELVIS (second album) or FOR L.P. FANS ONLY or A DATE WITH ELVIS
AFTER-SCHOOL SESSION WITH CHUCK BERRY

And some personal faves:
BAND ON THE RUN - Paul McCartney
ALL THINGS MUST PASS - George Harrison
MESSAGE FROM THE COUNTRY - The Move
SMILE - Brian Wilson
AND HIS MOTHER CALLED HIM BILL - Duke Ellington

Posted by: Max | November 22, 2006 1:46 PM | Report abuse

In addition to many of the others listed here, I'd add:
Marquee Moon by Television
Outlandos d'Amour by The Police and
English Settlement or Black Sea by XTC.

Posted by: longsl | November 22, 2006 3:37 PM | Report abuse

No mention yet of Husker Du -- not the highest production values but incredibly influential -- one could make the argument that without HD there'd have been no Pixies, no Nirvana -- I'd nominate Flip You Wig or Zen Arcade.

Posted by: jimbo | November 22, 2006 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Oops, that should've been Flip Your Wig. And I apologize for omitting the umlauts...

Posted by: jimbo | November 22, 2006 5:09 PM | Report abuse

OD -

Record albums have been around since the 20's. They were originally a set of 78 packaged in sleeves like a photo album. That's why they are called "albums" in the first place. I wonder how many people even look at a CD and wonder why it's referred to as an "album"?

Elvis' first album was released in 1956 when he went from Sun to RCA. Sun was primarily a singles outfit. The cover is parodied (hommaged? copied?) by the Clash on London Calling.

Posted by: spike | November 23, 2006 12:25 AM | Report abuse

I took Louis' advice above and downloaded some Whiskey and the Kidney Stones. What a diamond in the rough. They should be on the list.

KISS Alive! should be on the list.

I don't think Pink Floyd is that glaring an omission.

Posted by: Graden | November 23, 2006 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Agree w/ the peanuts; terrible gaffe to fail to include Dark Side of the Moon. And they offered no real reason for its omission - I think they did it simply to spark controversy and get people to read their list.

This is just not a well thought out list. You can tell that the writers were, er, of a certain era, and asked around for help with the 2000 and 1990 decades.

I would have to include-
Traffic - The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
Bowie - Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
B52s debut album
Travelling Wilburys - Vol. 1
Mountain - debut album
The Dukes of Stratosphear - Chips from the Chocolate Fireball (i.e., XTC's homage to the British Invasion)
The first duet album by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong

Posted by: Wash DC | November 24, 2006 1:42 PM | Report abuse

oh come on.....you're all leaving out one of my fav. bands of all time....alice in chains.....jar of flies was an amazing album....as was the unplugged album and well....all of their albums....if you feel the same feel free to drop me a line at the email address above just to let me know AIC fans still exist....take care all...keep rockin

Posted by: Toddinator2004@yahoo.com | November 26, 2006 6:37 AM | Report abuse

you all miss the point. the list is to help fading executive stir up buisness for fading stars. old compilations yield the executives more money cause elvis is dead.

oh yeah Guns and Roses, beak, janes addiction

Posted by: no one | December 3, 2006 4:30 AM | Report abuse

van halen by van halen!!!!

Posted by: kkisosm | December 8, 2006 10:36 PM | Report abuse