Posted at 8:07 AM ET, 11/22/2006

Morning Mix: Rosie Calls Kelly Ripa Homophobic

By Liz Kelly

Headlines: Rosie O'Donnell accuses Kelly Ripa of homophobia; Ripa says the claim is "downright outrageous" and "out of line"... Director Robert Altman dead at 81; read Stephen Hunter's appreciation... Lawyer says there's no Spears-Federline sex tape; K-Fed offered part in British reality show... Janet Jackson confesses to mile-high club membership... Wesley Snipes says he's a "scapegoat"... Bush daughter robbed in Argentina... O.J. Simpson book could surface on Internet... TAFKACS (The Artist Formerly Known As Cat Stevens) returns to music world... Kanye West calls bi-racial women "mutts"... Comedian/actress Amy Sedaris pens "entertaining" book... Daddy Warbucks tops list of wealthiest fictional characters... "Casino Royale" illegally downloaded over 200,000 times... "Celebrity Fit Club" to return with Maureen McCormick, Dustin Diamond, Tiffany, Da Brat.

Rumor Mill: Nicole Richie fires stylist Rachel Zoe... Lindsay Lohan to make movie about Stevie Nicks... Jessica Simpson and John Mayer dating again?... Britney Spears shopping for house in Florida... Police want to question Howard K. Stern in death of Daniel Smith... Will Sacha Baron Cohen's (Borat) be the next celebrity wedding? (and is it just me, or is Borat hot?)... Mike Tyson says prostitution story isn't true.

"He didn't see the heckler as a man, he saw him as a black man -- one who needed to be reminded that once upon a time he might have been lynched for his impertinence, and who needed to be put in his place with the most explosive word in the language." -- Post opinion columnist Eugene Robinson on Michael Richards's racial outburst

By Liz Kelly  | November 22, 2006; 8:07 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: TEST -- DO NOT PUBLISH!!!
Next: Giving Thanks for Paris Hilton, Jimi Hendrix and Richard Simmons

Comments

So, did Rosie just out Clay? I mean, it can only be homophobia is Clay actually is gay right?

btw, I don't think Ripa's statement was malicious at all. Heck, there are plenty of non-gay places that hand could've been that would prompt Ripa to say that. But everyone's used the "don't know where that's been" line at some point or another, and more than likely, never as any type of bashing.

Posted by: BF | November 22, 2006 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Re the Kelly & Rosie story --
OMG, Clay Aiken is gay!?!?!?!

Posted by: Egregious | November 22, 2006 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I saw the Ripa/Aiken episode on the news last night. Rosie's out of line and looking for reasons to be offended. Maybe she felt she hadn't been in the news enough lately.

"You don't know where those hands have been" is somehow gay bashing? What other common phrases and aphorisms are also secretly gay bashing? Perhaps we can compile a list, so we don't offend Rosie.

And, yes, Clay was rude to do that.

Posted by: Kari | November 22, 2006 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Do not bother subscribing to the Washington Post if you live in Lexington Park, MD.

I have not had a paper delivered for the last two weeks, the delivery subcontractor does not acknowledge or return phone calls, and neither does the Washington Post.

Don't waste your money paying for a product not delivered.

Posted by: Don't Bother | November 22, 2006 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Why isn't Clay blamed at all? I think that putting his hand over Kelly's mouth was sexist. I mean, if Kelly's a homophobe, why not call Clay sexist?

Posted by: BB | November 22, 2006 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Missing story | November 22, 2006 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Rosie is out of line, once again. I'm curious as to what The View's ratings are since she came aboard. If anyone put their hand across my mouth to shush me, whether they were gay, straight, bi, or any other sexual orientation I would not be as nice as Ripa was, they'd be on ther ground bleeding.

Posted by: sickofkfed | November 22, 2006 9:47 AM | Report abuse

they need to send clay over to the view so he can put his hand over rosie's mouth and shut her up.

Posted by: b | November 22, 2006 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Rosie's a jerk.....

Touch me, let alone putting your hand on my mouth is not cool, nor healthy.

Posted by: Jp | November 22, 2006 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Rosie is wayyyyy off the mark. How is saying "I don't know where your hand's been" homophobic? It's a hand they pick germs, dust and lord only knows what else. I'm lost as to how that can be a homphobic statement. Seriously!

Does Kanye ever miss an opportunity to show what a complete prick he is? Although this isn't that surprising coming from him. He's probably tossed the b-word out there a few times as well.

Liz, the downloads may be reason why Happy Feet beat out Casino Royale.

Posted by: petal | November 22, 2006 10:00 AM | Report abuse

No way is Borat hot!. Sorry Liz, that just plain crazy

Posted by: LIsa | November 22, 2006 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Clay was rude, he could have interjected in another way.

Rosie needs to chill out and stop searching of homophobic remarks where they don't exist. I'm sure if she watches the tape she could find more instances of Kelly's homophobia, maybe in the way she welcomed Clay to the show, possibly the outfit she wore, there have got to be more straws out there for Rosie to grasp at.

Posted by: dccarol | November 22, 2006 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Never mind any of the other stuff in today's Celebritology - the headline of the year must surely be this:

Paris Hilton Vomits While Attempting To Sing Own Song

Posted by: byoolin | November 22, 2006 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Wait a sec, wait a sec... let's get back to this "Don't bother" stuff, lmao

Does anyone even CARE about Rosie anymore? What's she famous for now, other than being famous? I think she owes about 2500 people their 15 minutes of fame back.

Posted by: Margo | November 22, 2006 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Probably being gay is the only thing Rosie has going for her, so she has to exploit it.
I agree with Kelly, she was not being responsible when she made that comment.
I mean, the "breaking news" at the moment is that President Bush is pardoning the Thanksgiving turkey...maybe Rosie can make something out of that!!(unfair tarketing of Feathered Beings?)

Posted by: Barb | November 22, 2006 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Liz, I'm with you. While Borat is not hot, SBC is. I saw him do an appearance several years ago on Jon Stewart (I think)-- this was back in the Ali G days-- and seriously couldn't take my eyes off him. Nice looking man.

Posted by: WDC | November 22, 2006 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I bet Rosie is just mortified. It was probably an ill-considered, spur-of-the-moment remark, and since she's not one to back down, she can't do damage control at all. In her mind, she has Clay firmly pegged as gay, and opened her mouth before she remembered that HE doesn't share her certainty.

Such a faux pas. No matter what she's saying, she must be in teh fetal position, rocking back and forth somewhere.

And while I'm here, I'll just add that "I don't know where that hand has been" is a dig I associate with sexually promiscuous people of any stripe. Not a germ thing (flu season? please.) but a skank thing. I always used to say it, in the most joking way, to my brother. He's not gay. I never made the connection between homosexuality and "I don't know where that hand has been".

Posted by: CH | November 22, 2006 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I watch Regis and Kelly while at the gym. And watch the View every once in awhile. Well, I caught all 3 shows! The one on Friday where Clay did it, the Monday show where Kelly ripped Clay apart to Regis, and yesterday for the phone call between Kelly and Rosie.

I work in TV so I get to watch it off and on for most of the day...and THAT my friends. Was GREAT television.

I totally think Rosie is out of line and being from Kelly's hometown. Kelly's awesome, Clay's an ass (poor baby apparently didn't know that Kelly dressed up as him for Halloween one year and it set him off), and Rosie? She makes me never want to watch the View.

Posted by: TV's in the blood | November 22, 2006 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Clay was wrong to put his hand over Kelly's mouth. I do understand what his intent was since I think Kelly talks too much and listens too little. Just because you're a talk show co-host it doesn't mean that your lips need to be constantly flapping.

Posted by: pnina | November 22, 2006 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Rosie is just looking for anything she can use to get attention. Most has-beens and never-was's try this.

Rosie needs to get help for her Heterophobic tendencies before she ruins what little career she has left.

As far as her opinions go, I usually ignore them or treat them as 180 degrees off from the truth, i.e., if Rosie says it, the opposite is true.

Posted by: Clean | November 22, 2006 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Rosie is way off of this. Dirty hands is not a gay/straight issue. That woman really needs to find another topic of conversation.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 22, 2006 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Definitely just you...Borat is NOT hot.

Posted by: Borat-ick | November 22, 2006 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you Liz, the guy who plays Borat is a major hottie. The picture in the most recent Rolling Stone with his fiance...mmmmmm

And Kim's tofu pumpkin pie is fab, you'll love it.

Posted by: borat is yummy | November 22, 2006 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Ross the Intern from the Tonight Show is going to be on Celebrity Fit Club also.

Posted by: Christine | November 22, 2006 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Ok, Let's not be so free with the hot status. In of Sasha, I've got to say neither he nor Borat is particularly attrative. He's ok but mos def not hot.

Posted by: petal | November 22, 2006 12:44 PM | Report abuse

that is not a homophobic thing to say, it is such a MOM thing to say! My grandma used to say it, my mom says it and I say it to my children. For heaven's sake Rosie, get a grip! Overreacting to something like that just belittles all the other REALLY homophobic and discriminatory things going on these days.

Posted by: a mom... | November 22, 2006 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I'd not only be worried about where Clay's hands might have been, I'd also worry about where Kelly's mouth had been. Both areas very germy!

Posted by: catlady | November 22, 2006 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Sasha Baron Cohen is hot, but I don't think he's acquired the Celeb Status needed for us to care about his wedding. Borat? Yes, his wedding would make news, even though he is not hot.
Now that Nicole has fired her stylist, maybe she can put on another 10 lbs. If she can get up to a size 2(ok an adult size 0 would do) she'd look like a regular...er, skinny girl in Hollywood.
John Mayer -- didn't he seem like the gentle brooding singer-songwriter type? First he dumps his long-time GF when he gets famous, then he dates Lizzie Guber-Drive-Into-Crowds-While-Drunk, then this JSimp thing. Turns out he's just an a**hole in sensitive clothing.
Finally, I can't believe the Prince from Nigeria only made it to #9 on the richest phonies -- with all the money I've sent him, I'd think he'd be at #3 or #4!

Posted by: miss belle | November 22, 2006 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why Ripa annoys the pants off me, but she does.

Posted by: not bluto | November 22, 2006 9:40 PM | Report abuse