Posted at 8:44 AM ET, 11/ 3/2006

Morning Mix: Snipes Reaches Tax Settlement - Report

By Liz Kelly

Note: We're trying something new today. Links you click in the Morning Mix should now pop up in a new window. Like it? Hate it? Leave a comment.

Headlines: Shakira wins four Latin Grammy Awards... Justin Timberlake sweeps MTV Europe Awards... Julia Roberts to return to film in "Friday Night Knitting Club"... Russell Crowe criticizes U.S. legal system... Kate Winslet says she was teased about her weight... Shanna Moakler throws "divorce party"... Mel Gibson honored by Latino business group... Robert DeNiro, 50 Cent to co-star in Katrina thriller... "SNL's" Maya Rudolph sues over bedbugs in apartment... Snoop Dogg charged with possession of deadly weapon... Actress Adrienne Shelly found dead in New York office.

Rumor Mill: Wesley Snipes reaches settlement on tax charges... Lindsay Lohan says sobriety chip was in support of friend... Nicole Richie checks out of rehab to shop... Simon Cowell to launch line of grooming products... Sharon Stone storms out of charity event over Barbie likeness... Paris Hilton wants to go into space... Gunshots fired at John Schneider ("Dukes of Hazzard")... "Sex and the City" movie back on?

Fast Talk: Director and co-writer Richard Linklater joins co-writer Eric Schlosser to discuss their movie version of Schlosser's best-selling book, "Fast Food Nation" today at 11:30 a.m. ET.

By Liz Kelly  | November 3, 2006; 8:44 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tom Cruise, Studio Honcho
Next: Anna Nicole Smith, Curiouser and Curiouser

Comments

As a Firefox user, I always middle-click on the items I want to read, opening a series of tabs I can then sift through.

Anybody else do that?

Posted by: Chasmosaur | November 3, 2006 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I love the pop-up-in-a-new-window setup! Saves time & easier to get back to the post.

Posted by: VA | November 3, 2006 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Like the old way better! Too many windows to keep track of.

Posted by: Arlington | November 3, 2006 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I always right-clicked on the links anyway to open them in a new window. Thanks for saving me that one extra step!

Posted by: Right Click | November 3, 2006 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I hated it. I usually get through all the stories over 30 minutes or so while reading email and other morning things. It was easier to just have one window instead of multiple ones..

Posted by: dc | November 3, 2006 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Count me as a fan of the new format!! All too often, when I click on a link to read a story, I find other stories on that page that I want to read. With the addition of the pop-up windows, you've saved me from having to jump through hoops to get back to the Post page.

Posted by: PA | November 3, 2006 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Much prefer the new format.

Posted by: Elizabeth | November 3, 2006 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Liz,

This is great. Saves time. I love it.

Thanks

Posted by: snoootty | November 3, 2006 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I voted for multiple windows via absentee ballot.

And if Paris wants to see space, a carefully-placed mirror in front of her and another near either ear should do the trick.

Posted by: byoolin | November 3, 2006 9:48 AM | Report abuse

HATE the pop-ups! I had six windows all pop up with errors. Please go back to the old way!

Posted by: LFriess | November 3, 2006 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Hate it, hate it, hate it! Go back to the old way!

Posted by: Anonymous | November 3, 2006 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Love the new format.

Posted by: Michelle | November 3, 2006 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I LOVE the new format! Way way better. Keep it, please!

Posted by: dupont | November 3, 2006 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Love the new format!

Posted by: ShoreMom | November 3, 2006 10:08 AM | Report abuse

>>Robert DeNiro, 50 Cent to co-star in Katrina thriller

The words Katrina and thriller should not be used in the same sentence.

p.s. I like the popup windows.

Posted by: BF | November 3, 2006 10:09 AM | Report abuse

LOVE the new format!! So much easier to use!!

Posted by: Arlington too | November 3, 2006 10:10 AM | Report abuse

change is good

Posted by: b | November 3, 2006 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I just realized that with the new yahoo toolbar I can add a tab by right clicking to open a new tab if I want. So my vote is for the old way.

Posted by: petal | November 3, 2006 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Love the new format! Please keep!

Posted by: Mpls | November 3, 2006 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Liz!! I love the new way. Like other readers, I would always right click and open in new window.

Posted by: Mary | November 3, 2006 10:31 AM | Report abuse

In with the NEW, out with the old.

Posted by: BEN | November 3, 2006 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Like the new format. now when I get distracted I can still get back to the post!!

Posted by: bored at dc | November 3, 2006 10:44 AM | Report abuse

LOVE IT!!

Posted by: In favor of separate windows | November 3, 2006 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I love the new format and will go one step further. I would love it if *each* story opens up in a new window. I tried clicking on two stories today, and the second story took precedence over the first. I would love separate windows so I can continue to scan the headlines while the stories continue to load.

Posted by: fft5305 | November 3, 2006 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and by the way, was anyone else really surprised that Wesley Snipes reached a settlement? Who really thought he was headed to the hoosegow?

Posted by: fft5305 | November 3, 2006 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Like the new format -- saves me from right-clicking. Like someone else said, if you're using Firefox (or IE 7, right? -- though I can't say as I don't use it), they'll open in new tabs instead of new windows.

Posted by: Another Firefox User | November 3, 2006 10:49 AM | Report abuse

love the new popups! I always right clicked to open anyway

Posted by: mimi | November 3, 2006 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I have never had so much fun opening new windows! Keep up the great work.

Posted by: hasselhoff | November 3, 2006 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I prefer the old way. Using the back arrow on my browser prevents the open window pile-up along my task bar.

Posted by: Nay | November 3, 2006 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Love the new format!

Posted by: Focus | November 3, 2006 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Keep the new format. Much better.

Posted by: Another Liz | November 3, 2006 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Love the new format.

I want Paris to go into space,too, especially if she stays there.

Posted by: Kate | November 3, 2006 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Love the new format! I like being able to explore the sources you use for the items without losing my place on the Post's site. Keep it, keep it!

Posted by: NewFormatLover | November 3, 2006 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I am completely in love with the new format. I am so used to a new window opening up when I click on a link that before I would accidentally close the browser out of habit and then have to spend time getting back to washingtonpost.com.

Posted by: Tiffany | November 3, 2006 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Re La Lhoan and her chip, while giving sobriety chips may not be officially sanctioned by the "home office," there are hundreds, if not thousands, of local AA groups who give chips. It is a tradition dating from the earliest days of the fellowship.

Posted by: chipster | November 3, 2006 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Lurve the new window, it's about time.

Posted by: miss belle | November 3, 2006 2:32 PM | Report abuse

With IE7 or any other modern browser, people can just middle click or ctrl-click on links if they want a new window. Leave the choice to the user.

Posted by: Matt | November 3, 2006 3:04 PM | Report abuse

LOVE LOVE LOVE the new format! Please DON'T go back!

Posted by: Jessie | November 3, 2006 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Like the new format.

Paris is already a space cadet. She doesn't need to train or go anywhere.

Posted by: RB | November 3, 2006 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I like the new windows. Much better

Posted by: Michael | November 3, 2006 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Love, love, love the new format! It's a keeper!!

Posted by: Cheese | November 3, 2006 5:03 PM | Report abuse

love it

Posted by: will | November 3, 2006 5:12 PM | Report abuse

How can people be so fired up about a window?!?
I really don't care which way it happens, but I wish that the Post would be consistent about the way that links pop up.

Posted by: scr | November 3, 2006 5:39 PM | Report abuse

ah, consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, scr. big props on the "open in a new window" feature (i won't call it a pop-up -- bad connotations) -- definitely worth keeping.

Posted by: voice of reason | November 3, 2006 5:48 PM | Report abuse

hvmflogz [URL=http://xqomkvwu.com]iwogxjyy[/URL] szrsekqe http://cgbhvbxz.com mbydrotp mtfojrin

Posted by: rnpatsdv | December 3, 2006 9:49 PM | Report abuse