Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 12/ 6/2006

In Praise of Kate

By Liz Kelly

Winslet arrives at the premiere of her new movie, 'The Holiday,' in London. (Getty Images)

Let's take a time-out from the escalating game of starlet-inspired schadenfreude to praise Kate Winslet. That's right -- I've nothing catty or even mildly salacious to say about this woman and neither, it turns out, does anyone else. This is because (unlike some others who shall remain nameless), Winslet makes news for her professional achievements, not off-set shenanigans.

A quick spin around the Web reveals the usual Kate-sized "gossip": Winslet Embarrassed by Swayze Crush, Winslet Was Girl Who Never Got the Boys, Winslet Stunned by Trailer. It's almost enough to restore one's faith in celebs. More importantly, Winslet is famously proud of her curves -- a sharp contrast to the skeletal dress racks we're so used to seeing stalk the red carpet.

And though Winslet starred in one of the biggest movies ever ("Titanic"), she's consistently chosen engaging indie films ("Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," "Enigma," "Heavenly Creatures") that keep her career moving forward in a particularly absorbing direction. To top it all off, the mom of two fiercely protects her kids from the spotlight.

So, here's to Kate Winslet for giving us a much-needed holiday from the snark.

By Liz Kelly  | December 6, 2006; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, In Praise Of...
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Report: Aniston and Vaughn Break Up
Next: Morning Mix: Wayans Banned from Club for Using Racial Slur

Comments

Amen, Liz!

Posted by: Jay | December 6, 2006 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Aw Liz, just when I thought I couldn't heart you any more! Kate lives in a little place I like call reality, and it's extremely refreshing. It's also nice to see an actress who has actual talent. And look at her in that dress -- gorgeous!

Posted by: Simone | December 6, 2006 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I remember literally standing up and cheering when I first saw her step out of that carriage in "Titanic" - yay, a real woman with a real figure! She's been my hero ever since.

Posted by: Maritza | December 6, 2006 11:33 AM | Report abuse

and she had big feet. size 11

Posted by: Lisa | December 6, 2006 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Liz. Love Kate and Cate, also. I admire them both for their professional and personal common sense and normality.

Posted by: Barb | December 6, 2006 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Her appearance in Extras (HBO) was awesome. Best female celebrity today.

Posted by: Dan | December 6, 2006 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Maybe you should compile a list of these admirable celebs, so we can all restore our faith in hollywood. It always make me happy to see someone succeed, like Julia Louis Dreyfuss (sp), who can have a great career, win awards, have a long term marriage and kids, and stay out of the spotlight.

Posted by: silver spring | December 6, 2006 12:41 PM | Report abuse

When you have talent and grace, it's not necessary to resport to pathetic antics to keep your name on everyone's lips.

Too bad some of today's starlets don't seem to understand that. It seems like those who don't actually have any talent need to gain their notoriety through either the public's sick fascination with damaged goods (making the news because you're starving yourself) or through not wearing underwear or something.

Yay for Kate.

Posted by: sb | December 6, 2006 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I've long held KW in the highest esteem. She's a goddess and a true role model.

Posted by: Jagshemash | December 6, 2006 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Damn Skippy! When I saw her in Titanic it was LAFS (love at first sight). When the "sketch" scene in the movie came up -- I had to put the popcorn tub on my lap to hide my joy from my then girlfriend.

She is only getting better with age. Kate Bosworth, Posh, Nicole, Paris, Christina et. al do absolutely nothing for me. Zilch! Kate Winslet is "all that and a bag of chips" literally -- I wish more women realized that there are plenty of men that appreciate healthy women to dress hangars.

BTW -- check Kate out in "The Life of David Gale" A criminally underrated movie starring Kate and Kevin Spacey.

Posted by: HP | December 6, 2006 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Hear, hear! Also, here's to Kate Winslet for giving us a much-needed holiday from anorexia, and for being outspoken about it (I read recently that she said, "It's okay, girls, you can eat something. Really.")

She's fabulous, but I don't like that whatever magazine editor was quoted as saying she's lost a lot of weight recently and was thinner than he'd ever seen her, "petite and sexy". Oh, god. I hope that's not true.

Posted by: Anne | December 6, 2006 1:02 PM | Report abuse

there's simply nothing bad about this woman. i rolled my eyes a bit at her american express commercial but hey! if anyone has earned the right to sell out just a bit, its kate winslet.

Posted by: charlie | December 6, 2006 1:16 PM | Report abuse

And she was masterful in the brilliant movie Little Children. Please go see it!

Posted by: fermata | December 6, 2006 1:23 PM | Report abuse

"Winslet is famously proud of her curves"

This makes it sound like she's overweight. She's anything but. Heck, looking at the photo, I would still consider her skinny.

Posted by: BF | December 6, 2006 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Mmmmmm...Kate Winslet...The wife already said I get a pass on her...

Posted by: KraziJoe | December 6, 2006 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I agree on the making a list of the classy ones, and agree that Kate should certainly make it. Alas, it'll likely be a short list, but the fact that there are some classy ladies left in Hollywood is heartening. :)

(And hey, I liked that MC commercial, I thought it was kinda neat and an interesting idea.)

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2006 1:51 PM | Report abuse

What curves? Oh she's a size 4 instead of 0?

Posted by: DC | December 6, 2006 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Wait a minute -- since when were "curves" a negative? Compared to Nicole Richie, for example, yes, Kate is curvy. And in my opinion, far more attractive.

Posted by: Liz | December 6, 2006 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Let me add to the Kate Love, she is awesome! However, I do think she's lost a little weight recently, the last couple of films she's looked smaller than when she did Titanic. Not too much, she's still looking like a regular woman and not Skeletor, but I imagine that even our dear Kate gets pressured to be thin. Thing is, she manages to stay HEALTHY, and she's mindful to say in every interview that she does eat and exercise.

Posted by: miss belle | December 6, 2006 2:17 PM | Report abuse

You don't make friends with salad, you don't make friends with salad...

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2006 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Who are the three pictured "skeletal dress racks"? I don't recognize any of them. Maybe I don't read 'People' enough?

Posted by: Diddy | December 6, 2006 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I love Kate Winslet. She is not afraid to go topless in a movie and she looks good doing it!

And since Titanic was such an awful movie, she was the reason for watching it.

Posted by: Bunkley | December 6, 2006 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Since some have sugjested making a list of celebrities who don't annoy I would like to start that list with Natalie Portman, as well as Kate Winslet. I always enjoy Natalie Portman she seems so down to earth and very aware of the world around her. But the best thing is she isn't stupid! I haven't heard a dumb thing come out of her mouth yet, guess that Harvard education is paying off.

Posted by: Melissa | December 6, 2006 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the person who said both Kates (Kate Winslet and Cate Blanchett) are all class in today's Hollywood.

Just FYI - Winslet did Heavenly Creatures before Titanic, HC was her first movie. When I saw it I knew she would go on to bigger, er, curvier and better things.

Posted by: Kate's Moss | December 6, 2006 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I'd have to say that the male equivalent to Kate is Ewan McGregor. Doesn't let his kids be photographed, doesn't make a fuss of himself, and does his work well.

Posted by: Barb | December 6, 2006 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Adding to the Kate love :D

I went back and looked at pictures of her from the Titanic era to today.

It does look like she's lost some weight, but it's she's also more toned. I also think she's got a better stylist or has learned better how to wear clothes that work on her body. She is still far more curvaceous than almost any actress out there.

When you look at the body transformations of some other actresses in recent years who have gone from their curvy to skinny (Cameron Diaz springs to mind), I think Kate is doing okay. :)

Posted by: Chasmosaur | December 6, 2006 3:58 PM | Report abuse

And she does not do that skanky bare legged look.

Posted by: NYC | December 6, 2006 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I loved her in "Finding Neverland"... it's by far my favorite Kate Winslet movie.

Posted by: 215 | December 6, 2006 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey Diddy -- the first one is Kate Bosworth, the second is Skank, er, Posh Spice and the third is Nicole Richie.

Yes, I am ashamed to know that.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2006 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Truly classy lady--I always enjoy her films and her intelligence comes across no matter what role she plays. She'll still be great in films 30 years from now.

Posted by: Bill | December 6, 2006 4:18 PM | Report abuse

She was simply outstanding in Iris.

Posted by: SS | December 6, 2006 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Kate Winslet's a fatass.

Posted by: Timmy | December 6, 2006 5:08 PM | Report abuse

T-t-t-timmy, you're j-j-juh-j-j-j-j-juh... You're j-j-just sss-saying that because I kicked your b-b-b-behind when you wouldn't put on your f-f-funny hat in "Cripple Fight".

Posted by: Jimmy | December 6, 2006 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Cripple fight!!

Posted by: Cartman | December 6, 2006 5:30 PM | Report abuse

The third was Nicole? I thought it was that Brazilian model who starved herself to death.
No joke. You know, I always thought it was sort of a "lifestyle choice" until the Terri Shciavo thing? Remember that? Bulimia leads to heart failure leads to vegetative state? Whoever partakes of this "lifestyle" has no caring family or has been deprived as such, or has a genetic code enabling them triggered by a "traumatic event" which...Hello! Is often sexual abuse.
You know, if you have a daughter, think about it, don't joke.

Posted by: Barb | December 6, 2006 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I love Kate too! Go see Little Children. She is a goddess.

Posted by: Love Kate | December 7, 2006 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I heart Kate Winslet!

Posted by: h3 | December 8, 2006 10:22 AM | Report abuse

when you were playing in titanic you where very pretty. I would like to say that you and jake where very good and looked like like you where really in love. Also I would like to say good job.

Posted by: Claire | December 9, 2006 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Hi I'm Rose mcCrae.after my mom saw the movie titanic she thought she could name me Rose. I would like to say that I loved the moie titanic and I was very Idicted to it and did not want to stop seeing the movie and also You where very pretty.

Posted by: Rose | December 9, 2006 7:11 PM | Report abuse