Posted at 7:51 AM ET, 12/14/2006

Morning Mix: Brangelina Brood Named 'Family of the Year'

By Liz Kelly

Headlines: Brangelina brood named "family of the year" by People magazine; Jolie's mother fights cancer... "Raymond" dad Peter Boyle dies (Appreciation | Photos)... Julia Roberts gearing up for return to big screen... Janice Dickinson struck by hit-and-run driver... Yoko Ono's driver held on extortion charge... Kitty Kelley penning unauthorized biography of Oprah... Bob Dylan wants to stop release of "Factory Girl"... Martha Stewart visits Howard Stern show... "Access Hollywood's" Nancy O'Dell expecting first child... Val Kilmer says he had fun gaining weight for film role... Shelley Long ("Cheers") in treatment for depression... Danny Glover pleads not guilty to trespassing charges... Producer Joe Francis ("Girls Gone Wild") to pay fine for featuring underage girls in videos... Judge may drop drug charges against Tawny Kitaen... Sexual harassment lawsuit against David Gest dismissed.

Rumor Mill: Nicole Richie says she took Vicodin for menstrual cramps; could face jail time... Britney Spears done with new best friend Paris Hilton... Cameron Diaz says she has "girl crush" on Pamela Anderson.

Stay Tuned for today's 8:20 a.m. ET Golden Globe nominations announcement and the 1:30 p.m. chat about same and a 2 p.m. ET live discussion with "One Punk Under God" preacher Jay Bakker.

By Liz Kelly  | December 14, 2006; 7:51 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Actors Who Think They Can Sing: Halle Berry
Next: Biggest Celebrity Stories of 2006?

Comments

Cool! A woman's monthly pains are an acceptable use of vicodin? I think I have a mild headache coming on, I need a percocet!

Hollywood really exists on a different realm that the rest of us.

Posted by: Ken | December 14, 2006 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one that does not think an 85 lb. woman is still getting her period?

Posted by: Betty | December 14, 2006 9:04 AM | Report abuse

No way is she getting her period unless they have her on hormones.

Posted by: Barb | December 14, 2006 9:19 AM | Report abuse

The Jolie-Pitts are family of the year? It must be because they are the only ones who shove their kids down everyone's throats. Except the new one, don't want the real kid to be in the spotlight, that is what the orphans are for.

Posted by: Did I miss something | December 14, 2006 9:29 AM | Report abuse

It's completely wrong to think that the good lord could have taken Janice Dickenson and not Peter Boyle.

Posted by: not bluto | December 14, 2006 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Shelly Long's depressed? I can't imagine why after making such fine career moves like leaving "Cheers" to start in movies like "Troop Beverly Hills."

Posted by: BF | December 14, 2006 9:31 AM | Report abuse

No bluto I was thinking the same thing only in my mind I said "The good lord could have taken Nicole Richie/Paris Hilton/LiLo/Britney and not Peter Boyle."

Posted by: Bored @ work | December 14, 2006 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I'm just waiting for the Pitt-Jolie family to hit puberty.

Posted by: JustWait | December 14, 2006 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Isn't it strange that a country that has been espousing "family values" for the past 8 years has a fairly major magazine (People) declare that an unmarried couple with a love child and some spares as Family of the Year? Why them? If it had to be a celebrity couple, why not Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith or Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson or John Travolta and Kelly Preston? I really don't get it. Sigh!

Posted by: pnina | December 14, 2006 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm just waiting for the Pitt-Jolie family to hit puberty.

Yep, I mean really what can Angie say to little Zahara about running around with boys or to Maddox about being wild? Shilow will still probably be under a blanket somewhere. However, I am sure there will be more kids in the mix by then.

Posted by: Did I miss something | December 14, 2006 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Vicodin to combat cramps, that has got to be the most inventive excuse ever, I think it's bull but I have to admit it is inventive. I would think the pot and alcohol combo would cause the vicodin to be unnecessary. If she is indeed getting that visit every month. She needs to produce a doctor's note.

I feel sexually harassed by that kiss between David Guest and Liza.

Posted by: caroldc | December 14, 2006 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Stewart on Stern's show - great news! I've always wondered what she sounds like topless.

Posted by: byoolin | December 14, 2006 10:11 AM | Report abuse

God, I'm sick of Angelina Jolie.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 14, 2006 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Good point pnina. That was my first thought too. Maybe People's original choice was Brit and Kev but they had to find a replacement family on deadline and the Pitt-Jolies were the best they could do.

Posted by: neener | December 14, 2006 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Vicodin for cramps, brilliant idea. Think my doctor will write that 'scrip?
(I'm in the camp that agrees that she can't actually still be menstruating, but she does seem to be able to think on her feet, good for her!)
I DID NOT RUN OVER JANICE, did I? I thought Madame Tussaud's had put their trash on the street instead of the curb, plus I've been taking Vicodin for my cramps...you see how a mistake could be made, right?
Meanwhile Joe Francis is allowed to continue making money off of drunken young'uns. Wait, does HE know about Vicodin's other uses? I predict a new series of tapes, "Girls with Cramps, If You Know What We Mean."
Young Frankenstein, one of top five fave movies. Everybody Loves Raymond, hardly ever watched it, but Boyle was def the best thing about it. ~sigh~
PS, I have a crush on Pammie too!

Posted by: miss belle | December 14, 2006 10:26 AM | Report abuse

We need a new column: "Celebutants who think they can lie"

Posted by: another non-singer | December 14, 2006 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, neener. How could I forget Brit and Kev! So tragic their marriage fizzled before they could claim the honor of being Family of the Year. Life is just so unfair sometimes!

Posted by: pnina | December 14, 2006 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Who knew Nicole Richie could drive a truck?

Posted by: Stick | December 14, 2006 10:44 AM | Report abuse

- At 85 lbs, the only cramps Nicole has is hunger pains.

- If Jolie-Pitt is the "family of the year" does that make Jennifer Anniston the "divorcee of the year"

Posted by: Lisa | December 14, 2006 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Okay, so the story about Nicole Richie getting jail time is shocking. Not that she had a previous DUI, but that she was driving a Toyota Corolla when it happened.

Posted by: Becky | December 14, 2006 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Well, People magazine is all about Glamour World. I wonder if people at People Mag really know what families are supposed to be all about; it goes beyond this superficial world. It's really hard to grasp this idea of forming a family by snatching somebody's husband, whenever you feel like and then have a child with him.

Posted by: Gina Khan | December 14, 2006 11:10 AM | Report abuse

The only thing that would make the Nicole Richie shory shocking would be if she actually gets jail time.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 14, 2006 11:14 AM | Report abuse

No way is Nicole Richie getting her period ... yeah, maybe she was on Vicodin for hunger pains! Heh heh.

So the Family of the Year consists a child-collecting, tattoo-covered, blood-sucking mental patient with a history of stealing other women's husbands (well, okay, Billy Bob Weirdo and Laura Dern were only ENGAGED when she sank her fangs into him ... ) and using her children for publicity while she flits all over the world with her personal assistant du jour trailing behind (Brad Pitt clinging to Maddox). They never stay in one place more than a few minutes, and seem to think breeding/adopting a ton of children constitutes "family values". God help those children ...

Posted by: Anne | December 14, 2006 11:20 AM | Report abuse

OK. Now I get it. If you are female and a husband stealer AND if you are male and a marraige cheater then you too can be named family of the year.

God help us.

Posted by: snoootty | December 14, 2006 11:44 AM | Report abuse

When you're trying to cover up obvious drug use with a bs story about needing them for cramps. That's a sign you're way out of control. Apparently Nicole has to sink even further before she can pick up and put her life back together.

It's like these girls are battling it out for biggest train wreck every week.

Posted by: petal | December 14, 2006 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone else out there see the Pitt-Jolies turning into that family that adopted Stewie Griffin on that Family Guy Episode when Stewie was taken away by social services? Stewie declares that he is living in a damn "Benatton Ad". I totally see these people going there!

Posted by: McLean | December 14, 2006 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Thank you not bluto..I just spit water all over my desk! You do have a point.

The Pitt-Jolie family does not get my vote for Family of the Year...disgraceful People..you should be ashamed.

Posted by: Sharon | December 14, 2006 3:24 PM | Report abuse

It's a cute family!

www.celebrityfox.com

Posted by: Adrienne | December 14, 2006 4:01 PM | Report abuse

As far as we can tell, Brad Pitt is a grown man capable of making his own decisions. Angelina didn't steal him, he's not a book for cripes sake. Should we have her wear a scarlet A too?

Posted by: husband stealer? | December 14, 2006 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I just got a look at Shi's picture on another site. I wonder how Angelina feels, seeing her father's face every time she looks at her daughter?

Posted by: soso | December 14, 2006 4:24 PM | Report abuse

HOW LONG WILL WE HAVE TO WAIT BEFORE PARIS SEEKS REVENGE AND DATES KEVEN FEDERLINE?

Posted by: melissa | December 14, 2006 5:30 PM | Report abuse

OH NOES, MELISSA. Paris seeking revenge and dating Kevin Federline? If only that old chestnut about "water seeks its own level" were true. How much of a revenge would that be, and would we really care?

It's a shame there's been no terrorist attacks on Hollywood. They'd get great publicity and scare Americans. Tartlets, ^Z^Z^Z I mean "Starlets" would get an ego boost thinking they're the most important thing in the US and thus deserving of terrorist attention.

Posted by: Ken | December 15, 2006 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Wonderful and informative web site.I used information from that site its great.
Thank you!

Posted by: Preved | January 5, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Wonderful and informative web site.I used information from that site its great.
Thank you!

Posted by: Preved | January 5, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Wonderful and informative web site.I used information from that site its great.
Thank you!