Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 12/ 7/2006

News Flash: Vaughinston is Gone-iston

By Liz Kelly

Vaughn and Aniston. (Getty Images)

It seems like just 62 days ago I was writing about the anticlimactic demise of the relationship between Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn. Who cares?, I asked. And you resoundingly responded: Not us. We'd washed our hands of the nap-inducing Vaughniston.

But we were wrong. Soon after break-up rumors surfaced in October, Aniston appeared on Oprah's couch to say everything was okay (even though she's never specifically admitted to dating Vaughn) and Vaughn even threatened to sue the tabloids for reporting a split and that he'd been spotted kissing someone else. Still, a 60-day separation fueled speculation until Aniston joined Vaughn in London in late October.

Yesterday, though, word came from publicists for both stars confirming that the couple is officially over: "After Jennifer's trip to London several weeks ago, Jennifer and Vince mutually agreed to end their relationship but continue to be good friends today," reps Stephen Huvane and John Pisani told People magazine.

And with a real break-up has come a real blossoming of my interest in these people. I will forever be indebted to Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn for breaking up and saving us years of catatonic relationship updates and ho-hum photo ops. Now they're free to do interesting things, like Vaughn who, one day after the break-up was announced, has already been spotted doing something totally non-Vaughniston. At this rate he'll marry Pam Anderson or some random sorority chick by the end of January.

As for Aniston -- it's not too late to change her mind about "Dancing With the Stars."

By Liz Kelly  | December 7, 2006; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Wayans Banned from Club for Using Racial Slur
Next: Morning Mix: Britney Spears Has a Message for You

Comments

* yawn *
are there any more pictures of george clooney floating around?

Posted by: b | December 7, 2006 11:35 AM | Report abuse

There have got to be better ways to make a living than obsessing about other people's lives. Too bad that the energy that goes into creating frenzy over celebrity lives isn't put into something useful like, say, educating and creating sustainable sources of income for the less fortunate.

Posted by: Michele | December 7, 2006 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Michele, my michele, ma belle. Dear one, you simply must resist the urge to visit this site. Perhaps you're on a mission to convert this to a different sort of blog, a noble blog, but we're not gonna change. And some of us love Celebritology & do noble things too, multitaskers that we are.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 7, 2006 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Michelle! I used to be celebrity-obsessed, and waste time reading blogs on the Washington Post, but now I've seen the error of my ways.

I'm off to open a homeless shelter.

Posted by: Cubeland, MD | December 7, 2006 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Who cares??

Posted by: And still I ask you.... | December 7, 2006 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Dear kind-hearted Michelle,

We celebritologist obsessed about the famous, the infamous and "Why are they" famous in the same manner we obsessed about: our husbands, wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, exes-of all kinds, children, parents, sisters, brothers, careers, co-workers, bosses, neighbors, fashion, weather, crime, Iraq War, Republicans, Democrats, Independents, beer, diet sodas, low carbs, no carbs, flat stomachs, getting a hot guy, getting a hot girl, the office holiday party, how not to be the "Lindsay Lohan or Britney Spear" of office holiday party, Iraq Study Group, K-12 education, higher education (admission and tuition), Tony Blair (My co-worker says he's hot!), health, retirement and the homeless man you see on your way to work.

So you see Michelle, we celebritologist do have a life. I suggest you get one too.

Posted by: Lisa | December 7, 2006 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Have either of these "actors" ever done anything?
Maybe they do deserve each other!
I can't believe she went from Brad Pitt to a guy that goes to topless bars.
I can see Vince as a future manager at "Hooters."
I think Jen will end up like Brenda Vaccarro doing feminine protection commercials.

Posted by: Barb | December 7, 2006 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Liz, great idea: Vince + Pam, Vimela? Vaughnderson? It would do them both a world of good, they like the same cocktails, if you catch my drift.
[yes, miss belle thinks every boy in hollywood is gay, becuz they are.]

Posted by: miss belle | December 7, 2006 2:27 PM | Report abuse

LIZ: This is a stupid question, but is she at peace with the whole brangelina thing? Or is there a lot of bitterness there?

Posted by: not bluto | December 7, 2006 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Oh Michelle, Michelle...my dear, if you don't like reading about celebrities, might I suggest you avoid at all costs any features called Celebritology?!?!?

Someone told me once there's other stuff in the Post, too.

Posted by: Ms Kelly | December 7, 2006 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh kids, please don't feed the trolls. They'll just keep coming back.

Posted by: Bored @ work | December 7, 2006 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Damn, I had December 15th in the pool.

Thanks to Michelle, I have a terrible headache. Dear girl, was this your first visit? Please, go save the world. Don't come back.

Posted by: Jay | December 7, 2006 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh...so THIS is where all the shallow, catty b*tches do their blog thang. Sweet, have fun with that.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 7, 2006 4:37 PM | Report abuse

They started off well, for a bit there I thought he was going to turn her into a wild thing in Hollywood and then they'd get interesting with fights outside some club but alas, that never happened.

Michelle: To echo another poster from a while back. You have to click on the title of the celebritology link to actually get to the blog, you're not tricked into doing so. Also, taking time out of your day to add to the discussion takes free will as well. Face it, you're now part of the problem. Welcome.

Posted by: petal | December 7, 2006 5:43 PM | Report abuse