Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 01/ 8/2007

Comment Box: Justin's Regifted 'Box'; Tom and Nicole's Tag-Team Parenting

By Liz Kelly

'SNL's' Amy Poehler wraps herself around the 'It' gift of 2006. (Photo courtesy ABC)

Comment of the Week: "Justin Timberlake's "Christmas Box" has been re-gifted." -- Lisa comments on Morning Mix: Cameron Diaz and Justin Timberlake Over?

Does Nicole Kidman have her kids half the time or are they always with weirdo Tom and Stepford Katie? How can she jet around all the time? -- PJ

PJ, upon their divorce in 2001, "weirdo Tom" and Nicole agreed to share custody of their two children, Connor, 11, and Isabella, 13. The kids took part in the recent weddings of both parents -- Kidman married country singer Keith Urban in Australia in June and Cruise married Katie Holmes in Italy in November. Despite the level of jet-setting, both parents seem to be very active participants in their kids' lives, often spotted attending soccer games. Both Connor and Isabella were also present in an October Vanity Fair photo spread featuring pix of their new little sister, Suri.

Who is the more foolish? The fool? Or the one who follows the fool? -- Anonymous comments on A Desperate K-Fed Kicks Off 2007

Okay, wait, so who is the fool here? Me or K-Fed or you for reading me write about K-Fed? Or wait, me for writing about you reading me write about K-Fed? I'm really confused now.

Liz, I thought you were going to delete che's long winded EXTREMELY off topic messages? Or are you really che and that is why your bloggs always have she/he on them... I remember you put it up for vote and most wanted che deleted! -- M

M, you're right. I'll redouble my efforts to excise Che from the comment threads. If I'm remiss in my duties, please drop me a note at celebritology@washingtonpost.com.

Finally, I wanted to share a few of the comments about last week's critique of artist Kate Kretz' painting of Angelina Jolie. Like the painting, it seems you either loved or hated the comments from me and analysis from Post art critic Blake Gopnik:

I'm not a huge fan of the painting. But all its attendant hullabaloo forces me to point out what an absolutely small-minded, petty little "critic" you are. Oh, so the "hair embroideries" scared you? Poor thing. Go crawl under the middle-American rock where you belong. -- Sun

Well, it's no sculpture of Britney giving birth... -- Jeb

Dear Liz: You need to actually see the painting and the other works by the artist. To think that you can comment on the technique without seeing it is simplistic. Anything you want to say on the subject matter goes, but if you are as lazy as you admit (and seem), then shut! In any case... all publicity is good publicity and this artist deserves it more than some bloggers I know! -- Freddiemd

I saw this painting in person today at the fair. It is a large painting with obsessive detail, done in a Renaissance glazing technique, not airbrush, as is implied by the "van art" comment. It is a commanding and powerful piece when you are standing in front of it, and I overheard many fascinating interpretations as I spent time in the booth: some people hated it, some people loved it, but no one could walk by without stopping. Blake's comment "there's not much chance of giving it a second look" seems especially inappropriate in this case, as people spent a tremendous amount of time finding subtle ironies in the minute details of the work as I stood there. I find it appalling that a critic would make such a strong statement (which now, incidentally, stands as the definitive word on her work in an AP news release) without ever seeing the work in person. And Liz, you should not be writing about art if you are afraid to call the artist because hair embroideries scare you. -- Michelle

THANK YOU Ms. Kelly and Mr. Gopnik! I'm an artist and I see mountains of boring junk like this succeeding in the art world and it really depresses me. I guess the art world is like every other world where the denizens hunger to see only what they expect and love it when things are spelled out for them. Woe! -- MelissaW

The funny thing is that a lot of you are doing exactly what the artist expects you to do. Aggressively defending this celebrity you don't even know proves the artist's point about America. Yes it's obvious and not a Rembrandt, but I must say it's slightly refreshing to see an artist just make a their point without trying too hard to feed the ambiguity and the critics. If a piece isn't terribly complicated to understand, it can still stand as art. Just as well, complicated pieces are often terrible. Maybe more people would support the artist if she carried some adopted foreign children down the red carpet. -- Cat

By Liz Kelly  | January 8, 2007; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Comment Box
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Angelina Jolie Calls Madonna Adoption 'Illegal'
Next: Morning Mix: Jolie Says She Didn't Criticize Madonna

Comments

If enough people comment on this post about comments, will you post the best comments about the best comments?

And then, if enough people comment on *that* post, and so on, and so forth...

Posted by: byoolin | January 8, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I got quoted! Do I get royalties or something?

Posted by: Jeb | January 8, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I like how everyone's an art critic.
Bring on the pendants! (I wish I had a "who wears the pedants in this relationship" pun right about now.)

Posted by: not bluto | January 8, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

You are going to ask about the hair embroidery right? I'm very interested in what's involved now. Obviously hair but is the hair shaven off or does it just fall off? You have got to call her.

Posted by: petal | January 8, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Oh, I get it now. I assumed it was some sort of hairdo. Like a coif made out of her own hair. Hmmm. Ew.

Posted by: not bluto | January 8, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I feel sorry for all three of Tom's children and I can't believe that Katie and Nicole would let their kids belong to a cult. Sad all the way around.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Liz, you made my day.
I was won "comment of the week".
My co-workers are impressed.

Posted by: Lisa | January 8, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Ms. Kertz obviously has a vision and some skill. Not everyone will agree with how she uses it - that's the nature of art. But Mr. Klopnik was correct on two points: the theme of the piece is quite obvious. And it *does* look like something that would accompany a magazine or newspaper article on the state of US consumerism/mentality.

Honestly, I'd rather spend some more time with the works of Jacek Yerka - I can look at those over and over again. Perhaps they're not politically relevant, but they are endlessly fascinating.

Posted by: Chasmosaur | January 8, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

What kind of "desktop tool" is that Johnny Walker banner offering? Unless it makes the Pause/Break button spout Johnny Blue, I'm not clicking on it.

Posted by: not bluto | January 8, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I saw in ad in the Int'l Herald Tribune for a show of paintings of Paris Hilton. I don't think it was a joke. They looked like photographs that had been painted over. Has anyone else seen this? Would you hang it over your couch!!?

Posted by: Barb | January 8, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I'd hang Paris Hilton over my couch. But Carmen Electra is still hotter.

Posted by: Stick | January 8, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I can barely type with this big rock on top of me.

Posted by: Middle America | January 8, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

not bluto,

You know I never thought that the hair embroidery could involve a coif and maybe some bejeweled items neatly placed in the coif. If that's what it is, I'm disappointed.

Posted by: petal | January 8, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

So did we all vote Che off the island? I don't think so. I thought we all agreed (by telephone, no less) that ONE/1 Che rant a week was allowed.
If you weren't on that conference call, then consider yourself a loser.

Posted by: miss belle | January 8, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

If you weren't on that conference call, then consider yourself a loser.

Posted by: miss belle | January 8, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

If you weren't on that conference call, then consider yourself a loser.

Posted by: miss belle | January 8, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?

Posted by: miss belle | January 8, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

>Some of us like to get Che's side of things, even if it's like the back side, the side that's kinda damp and has shoe prints on it.

Then go to his stupid little blog. He posts the exact same things on there. Kinda sad really. His blog doesn't get enough (any) hits so he feels the need to spam other people's blogs with his entries, (which are nothing more than articles he found on some fringe site) to justify his existence.

Posted by: BF | January 8, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Petal: I would hope she'd bejewel something, perhaps, with the Beadazzler.

Posted by: not bluto | January 8, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh, it's obvious in 2.5 milliseconds that it is a Che piece so it is easy enough to skip it. At least he does not post multiple entries at the same time. Hit the Submit button and wait for it.

Posted by: Stick | January 8, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I thought the hair embroidery was collected hair (what kind?) spun into thread and embroidered onto stuff.

Posted by: Barb | January 8, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

You can't spin hair, like, duh. It would never catch once carded. Right?

Posted by: not bluto | January 8, 2007 5:22 PM | Report abuse

If Liz would like to have a greater audience for her celebritology blog, and if her commenters would like to get read by more people than just a small clique, leave Che to comment elsewhere.

The world has enough fringe theory and lunatics... those of who come here to read Liz Kelly's commentary on celebrity during our free time would like to enjoy it without the "spam".

Posted by: Ken | January 9, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

vzxeg pvbfyjlka xbvdaw tpeywoza ofazj kbwcq vakqiz

Posted by: kbhi cqklrnzg | January 15, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

uizxogb fpdzu ragmiu vmskoy eytzgwmk fjksvrbu oirx http://www.unfdbry.bncy.com

Posted by: zapb noivudwyh | January 15, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

bqxwo tdrn epzrwsvdh bhzrpoacj eiwocgf kemfyb lbzjkpyc rphamu zpfnw

Posted by: uznvpe zsjy | January 15, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

bqxwo tdrn epzrwsvdh bhzrpoacj eiwocgf kemfyb lbzjkpyc rphamu zpfnw

Posted by: uznvpe zsjy | January 15, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

pmsak oamfp yhgdxa kqsuxtj ohcgiwe lsmzcd gzbm [URL]http://www.tjfgi.snxjwf.com[/URL] xngelokjc sbnz

Posted by: tozn cnyz | January 15, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

[url=][/url]

Posted by: hpfcs] | January 25, 2007 3:35 AM | Report abuse

bank card credit offer secured [url=http://credit-card-offer.goldcreditbank.info/bank-card-credit-offer-secured.html]bank card credit offer secured[/url]

Posted by: bxala] | January 28, 2007 11:01 AM | Report abuse