Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 01/26/2007

Friday List: Picture This

By Liz Kelly

The Brady Bunch -- Alice, Carol, Bobby, Marsha, Peter, Cindy, Mike, Greg, Jan and Cousin Liz. (Photo illustration by Liz Kelly)

When I was six I had a serious desire to live with the Brady Bunch. The groovy Brady homestead rocked (I so wanted Greg Brady's teen attic pad with a beaded curtain instead of a real door) and despite some slight intervention from Carol, Mike, and Alice, the Brady household was ruled by a sort of "Lord of the Flies" childhood law. I would be cousin Liz, the cool, accepted seventh Brady -- not a bad-luck magnet like that dorky Cousin Oliver. As a pre-teen, I yearned to attend Eastland Academy with Blair, Tootie, Jo, Natalie and the other girls on "Facts of Life," wear cute uniforms and escape the awkward reality of junior high in Pemberton, N.J. By high school, I was so jonesing to be a part of "21 Jump Street," and it wasn't because of Richard Grieco.

To lesser degrees, I still do this -- insert myself into the fictionalized worlds of my favorite TV shows and movies. I want to pop into "Lost", slug Kate (just because) and explore the Others' self-contained little village. And can anyone really fault me for thinking it'd be pretty cool to live in the idealized England of Jane Austen's "Sense and Sensibility?" The dresses alone would make up for the lack of Pamprin. Well, maybe just a short visit. And I won't even go into my mini-obsession with Patrick O'Brian's "Master & Commander" books and my dream of living life on a tall ship. So embarrassing.

Thanks to an inspired posting on YesButNoButYes, we have a kick-butt Friday list: Share what TV or movie world you'd like to be a part of and why? Like our inspiration post, you can describe a fictional workplace where you'd like to spend your 40-hours a week or, like me, you can geek out and share the TV show or movie setting in which you can picture yourself.

Let's go!

By Liz Kelly  | January 26, 2007; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Friday Lists
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Kidman in On-set Car Crash
Next: Morning Mix: Angelina Jolie's Mother Dies

Comments

I'm partial to Star's Hollow on the Gilmore Girls. Besides, it would be so much fun to hang with Rory and Lorelai!

Posted by: Ashley | January 26, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Star Trek: The Next Generation. One word... holodeck.

Posted by: fft5305 | January 26, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Being a 90's kid I alwasy dreamed of being in the cool groups on "Saved By the Bell" and "Beverly Hills 90210"...they had the life!

Posted by: sunpop83 | January 26, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Ashely, Stars Hollow and hanging with Lorelai(not so much Rory) would be great. But, I can't help but envy Carrie Bradshaw's fabulous life style/shoes/men on Sex and the City. My others are: Scubs-to fulfill the doctor career fantasy, and The Office because I wish and wish I had a friend like Jim where I worked.

Posted by: Sara | January 26, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Sex and the City. I want to have the fab clothes, the lack of money issues, and Mr. Big.

Posted by: Jo | January 26, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Rivendell.

Posted by: Chris K | January 26, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

On the Starship Enterprise. Traveling through space, visiting other worlds and meeting all kinds of aliens.

Posted by: CJB | January 26, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Liz, I didn't realize that was you. I kept thinking the photo was a red headed Patricia Clarkson. Does that mean your husband looks like Campbell Scott?

I'll show my age. I wouldn't mind being in Family Affairs and having Mr. French take care of me!

Posted by: 20010 | January 26, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

High Fidelity...kick-ass tunes around the clock, the ability to force my elitest music tastes on unsuspecting consumers, and working with people who live and breath music just like me. It would beat sitting in a office typing on a computer 40 hours a week which is what I do now.

Posted by: Doni E | January 26, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

When I was little, I wanted to be part of the Swiss Family Robinson family. Life in a tropical tree house, fishing, eating tropical fruit, swooning over a young James MacArthur, swimming in blue water, what's not to love?

In my adult years, I'd be more likely to drop myself in the Law & Order: Criminal Intent, just to sooth Robert Goren's troubled brow. Hubba hubba.

Posted by: Terry in Maryland | January 26, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Heros, I already have my abilities all thought out (years of loving comic books). Coming in a close second would be Girlfriends although my girls are pretty much like the ones on tv. Third would be Invasion, although sadly not enough people watched it and so by now I'd be cancelled.

Posted by: petal | January 26, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

wow...i think i might reveal my inner dorkiness!

i would want to either be a part of the west wing just b/c i know that no government in reality would be so kind and caring!

or

i think that it would really interesting to live in the csi world of forensics and solve crimes...

Posted by: mandy | January 26, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Sex and the City: I would love to have Charlotte's apartment, Carrie's shoes, Adian and Smith.

Cheers: To hang out a bar all day and not be drunk, but have a lot of laughs still.

Friends: I would beat up Monica, Rachel, Ross and Chandler for being annoying yuppies. Never understood why Joey was friends with those losers.

Titantic: I would have a blue diamond and the memory of great sex with Leo.

Posted by: Lisa | January 26, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I wish I could have been a member of the cast of Monty Python or SCTV. Wouldn't that be a blast?

Posted by: Barb | January 26, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

(After reading Lisa's entry)...
I would love to be Bridget Jones and shag Mark Darcy, what was it, 170 times in 8 weeks?

Posted by: Barb | January 26, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

okay, lame, but i'd want monica's apartment on friends. i'd repaint it and get rid of all the annoying picture frames on the peepholes and crap, but i'd love that apartment in manhattan.

i also wouldn't mind being able to afford that apartment on a coffee shop barista salary. that's the best thing about tvland. people have fabulous houses that they could never afford in real life.

Posted by: m | January 26, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

oh, and i used to want elise and michael from 'family ties' or cliff and claire from 'the cosby show' to be my parents.

and i used to really really really want to go to rydell high and be a pink lady.

Posted by: m | January 26, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I would love to be Bridget Jones too. Maybe just to watch Mark and Daniel slug it out. Sydney from Alias would be pretty kicka$$ too!

As a kid, I always wanted to be Laura Ingalls in Little House on the Prairie (book and TV) and ditto the Jane Austin England.

This may be weird since it's non-fiction, but I promise I'm not a stalker. When I was 13 in 1993, with glasses, braces and bad hair, I really wanted to be Chelsea Clinton's friend. (Still do, I think she's glam now). But promise I'm not a stalker!

Posted by: mfd | January 26, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I love everyones wannabe life, I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this. I would love to jump into Scrubs, I work in a hospital and it is not nearly as much fun as Sacred Heart.

I would also love to be an X-man (woman), go to that awesome school and be around Wolverine all day, he looks so yummy in those wifebeaters. And I would look smokin' in those black leather jumpsuits (this is fantasy, right?).

But more than these I am dying to go to Hogwarts, hang out with Harry Potter and Ron (Hermione not so much) be able to do awesome magic and then marry Oliver Wood, former captian of the Gryfindor quidditch team. Ahhh, sweet perfection.

Posted by: Charlietown | January 26, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Oh! I play this game all the time. It all depends on what I've been reading or watching. I have talked with the Vampire Lestate, kicked butt with Xena and Buffy, stowed away with on a tall ship, and recently entered Pan's Labyrinth. These imaginings are what I do to fall asleep at night. My own personal fan fic... Am I insane?

Posted by: E Fate | January 26, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

As a kid, I wanted to go to Gilligan's Island. I figured I was old enough to get away from my parents. Could you imagine being doted on by the Howells and learning about being a girl from Ginger and Mary Ann? And having a goofy big brother in Gilligan? That existence sure beat the hell out of my regular life, that's for sure.

Now, I'd have to say space: on either the Enterprise (or maybe even Voyager), to explore. Again, sure beats the hell out of my regular life, though I do like my regular life a lot more now than I did as a teen.

Posted by: kate | January 26, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree with Charlietown...living in a Harry Potter world would be ideal. But in terms of tv, I would love to live in Buffy-world...with slayers and magic...and Angel. Sigh.

Posted by: Baltimore | January 26, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I want to be Scrooge McDuck and dive into a vault of gold coins.

Posted by: KG | January 26, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Like many people have noted, I'd like to be in Friends....but only so I could afford a great apartment and overpriced coffees on a 20-something's NYC denizen salary! (Though to be honest, Monica did say she had the apartment through the rent controlled from an elderly relative - that could lead to an enviably low rent - check out this article:

Also, as a paleontologist, I'd love Ross' job. Because in your late 20's, you're usually still slogging through grad school, post-grads or fellowships, hoping like hell that some sort of entry level position will open up.....the type where you're in a lab most of the day taking fossils out of plaster jackets making slightly higher than minimum wage.

I want to live in a world where I can jump straight from grad school to a curator position in one of the world's most famous museums!

Posted by: Chasmosaur | January 26, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

In high school I really wanted to live in Port Charles, fictional city my favorite soap opera "General Hospital" took place in. I wanted to be friends with Sonny and Brenda and live the "cool" mob lifestyle. Then it was "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" so she could teach me how kick some arse.

Now, its "Grey's Anatomy." I wish I was a surgical intern which is totally stupid because I suck at all things science. But I'd really like to be as smart as they are. And hook up with cute doctors.

Posted by: Melinda | January 26, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I wanted to be a spy--not like in Mad magazine, but from U.N.C.L.E. (why oh why couldn't I have had a name like "April Dancer") or swinging a tennis racket (Robert Culp wasn't cool, but Cos was). Living on a train (Wild Wild West) seemed pretty fab.
What, no one else past 30 reads this column?

Posted by: mem | January 26, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Okay...
When I was little I wanted to be a thundercat..I was in love with lion-o.(believe me i know)

Teen years I wanted to be in Family Matters. Especially when Urkel changed into Stefan. I would have been his best girl!! hahaha

Now. I would also want to be a Hero and I would have hybrid powers so I could do a lot.

But I would also want to be one of the girls from SEx in the City. I would want to be a little of all four. Smart, sophisticated, free-spirited with great shoes and no care in the world except where I was partying that night!!!!

Posted by: bored.... | January 26, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Give me Rene Russo's job in the Thomas Crown Affair. Fabulous outfits, a life of glamour and intrigue, and a spicy flirtation with Pierce Brosnan. The down side of this existence is, what, jet lag? Sign me up.

Posted by: arthistorian | January 26, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I want to stow away with the ladies of "Enchanted April" and stay for a month in a castle in Italy for an amazingly affordable rate. Then, I think I may go to soothe Horatio Hornblower's anxieties, once he's back on shore, of course. I'm not going to live on a ship in time of war. That would actually fit in nicely with living at the same time, in the same scenic English villages, as Jane Austen's more sensible heroines...

Posted by: Maritza | January 26, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

La Femim Nikita, talk about kick a#$ women on tv. Underworld I and II, the whole ability to fall and still land on your feet is very appealing. Something New, I can relate to it and Sex and the City, move it to Brooklyn and you've got a deal.

Posted by: carmen | January 26, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Stargate SG-1. I could walk through the ring to other worlds in a heartbeat.

Posted by: girl geek | January 26, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Back when I was younger I wanted desperately to be a part of the Babysitter's Club!

Now I'd say I could see myself kickin' it with Karen from Will and Grace. Aw, that would be fun.

Posted by: not bluto | January 26, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I am with Charlietown, Hogwarts all the way! And maybe we could take a side trip to the Lord of the Rings (the movie) so I could hook up with Legolas. Sigh Orlando Bloom you make my heart go pitter patter.
For book-worlds I've always been partial to the Chronicles of Narnia (and Harry Potter). When I was little I would spend hours trying to walk through my closet.

Posted by: Melissa | January 26, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

oh my god not bluto...I definitely agree with the whole Babysitters Club thing...or what about Sweet Valley High???

Posted by: sunpop83 | January 26, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I would like to live in the town of 7th Heaven. After a week I would rule that place!

Posted by: dmk | January 26, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I believe that I am the only woman who could make Dr. Gregory House truly happy.

Posted by: How many not blutos are there? | January 26, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I'd have joined the cast of Monty Python or SNL in a heartbeat....Making people laugh is an awesome way to live.

Posted by: b | January 26, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I'd prefer a combination...
Gilligan's Island and Deal or No Deal.

Helloooooo Nurse!

Posted by: Quintilius Varus | January 26, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Shermer, Illinois!

Posted by: Jay and Silent Bob | January 26, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I always wanted to be Scarlett O'Hara from Gone with the Wind. I would so treat that yummy Rhett Butler better than she did.

Posted by: laura | January 26, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Gilligan's Island when I was a kid -- I love the beach and coconut pie! I always imagined that when they sang the version of the theme song, "...The movie star AND ALL THE REST" that I was included in "all the rest!"
Now I dream of being a CTU agent on 24, although not on a TAC Team -- they got blowed up real good. More like a Jackie Bauer, with permission to torture for the good of the American people.
"It's our only option! I REPEAT -- only option!"

Posted by: miss belle | January 26, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Ok, it's not fiction, but I would have enjoyed being a part of Frontier House or 1900's House (both PBS).

Posted by: ckf | January 26, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Early in my dream life I wanted to be the 4th member of the Mod Squad, then a little later the thinking man's Charlie's Angel. Now, in my middle years, all I want to do is sail with Captain Jack Sparrow.

Posted by: KiKi | January 26, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

OMG!!! I forgot about the babysitter's club!!! A couple friends and I tried that for a week....sad to say it did not turn into money and boys or closer friendships for that matter!!!

hahahahaha those were the days :-)

Oh and I wanted to be Harriet the Spy. I use to carry around a black and white notebook and write everything in it. But I had to stop because my mother found it and said I wrote mean things and it wasn't nice.

Best post ever LIZ. Thanks for the memories!!

Posted by: bored.... | January 26, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Melissa,

I think you and I are kindred spirits. I also would eagerly jump into Lord of the Rings, just to be with Legolas. Oddly enough, I only find Orlando Bloom hot when he has long blonde hair and pointy elf ears. . .

I also dreamed about being Sebastian from The NeverEnding Story. My own luck dragon, unlimited wishes, and best of all, NO MORE SCHOOL!

I still cry when Artex sinks into the swamps of sadness. Snif.

Posted by: Charlietown | January 26, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Walton's Mountain would be the place to live. That was the happiest family ever.

Good night, John-Boy!

Posted by: Suzy | January 26, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I've pretty much wanted to live at Hogwarts since I first read the books. If not Hogwarts, Sunnydale always looked interesting

Posted by: MC | January 26, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I would love to work in that stylish CSI lab with all those beautiful people...Grissom, Sara, Nick, Greg...not to mention Warrick. Sigh. Although I would have to beat the crap out of Hodges on a weekly basis.

But I would REALLY love to live in Neptune California, where, sure, there's the daily fear of being raped or murdered, but all the quips are snappy, all the people are beautiful, and you have the most awesome dad ever, Keith. Also, Mac and Wallace would be my BFFs! Really, I just want to BE Veronica Mars, not hang out with her, so I don't know if that counts.

Of course, then I'd also love to be a hunter with the Winchester Brothers. I've always believed in spirits and monsters anyways, and I'd SO love to help those boys out with all their Angst.

Posted by: funky | January 26, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

How reassuring I'm not the only one who does this...
Buffy TVS: superpowers, fashionable clothes, endless melodrama and effortless one-liners. Who wouldn't?
Me too on the Star Trek, TOS only: I hate to admit it, but Spock is totally cool. (cringe)

Posted by: geek | January 26, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Battlestar Galactica (Bring on the Grace Park cylon clones!)

CSI (Solving crimes in Las Vegas with Grissholm)

X-Files (Mulder, Scully, & Ken!)

Posted by: Ken | January 26, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

For the sheer surreality of it, I think I'd have to go with being #3 on "The Prisoner." #3 had the life, didn't he? #2 was always getting humiliated by #6, and we know who #1 was. But #3? What a sweet gig. Drive around in golf carts and play mind games with people. Yeah, I could do that. Failing that, I'll go with being Mr. Rourke's stand-in on Fantasy Island...

Posted by: Karmadrome | January 26, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

In my younger days, I wanted to be on "Saved By The Bell" I'd get to hang out with hot chicks (and Screech!) and then after one season be magically transported from Indianapolis to Bayside California.

Then later on, I wanted to be an immortal on "Highlander: The Series"

And most recently, I wanted to be part of "Rollergirls" (former reality show on A&E) I just fell in love with the artsy Austin, TX to the point I was pretty close to moving out there, and I thought Punky Bruiser was hot.

Posted by: BF | January 26, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

As a kid, I so wanted to be Kitten on Father Knows Best. That was my family, right down to the older sister, middle brother, and baby sister (me). Today ... I just want to be anywhere Russell Crowe is.

Posted by: enemsee | January 26, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I always wanted to be onboard SeaQuest and get to explore all the amazing undersea places they got to go to. Besides, Jonathan Brandis was very yummy!

Posted by: undersea geek | January 26, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Hands down, it's "Fellowship of the Rings".

Posted by: WMX | January 26, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I'd liek to go to Bayside High, but now that I am almost 30 I think I would have to go to the school from "90210", with all of the other 30 year old high school student.
Sidenote: Jack Aubry? That's a name I'll drink to three times three. I love the O'Brien novels - my Dad and I read every single one of them and would meet up every week to drink wine, discuss the novels, and end up talking like the characters in the novels. Good times.
The bottle stands by you sir.

Posted by: Ed | January 26, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Liz:
Have you actually read the whole Patrick O'Brian series? Pretty rough existence...cold and wet...long hours...bad food...the lowerdecks packed with foul-smelling impressed louts...the veritable dredges of society. You know the 3 pinions of the British Navy: "Grog, Buggery and the Lash."

Posted by: pryorcommitments | January 26, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I was always jealous of Vicki Stubing on the Love Boat -- growing up on a cruise ship. I also could have spent a lifetime on Fantasy Island.

Posted by: skm | January 26, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

oh yeah, over-30 and reading this column. I planned to become an international spy and marry one of the men from UNCLE; after having an affair with each one. But I was going to be really old and mature when I settled down with either Napoleon or Ilya, like 28. I also wanted imagined visiting the Ponderosa and falling in love with Adam, but not getting killed off like all the women who were unlucky enough to meet the Cartright boys.

Posted by: anon | January 26, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to be in Little House on the Prarie, or in "The Other Boelyn Girl" (but not as a wife of Henry VII).

On the other end of the technology spectrum, I'd go with Star Trek: Next Generation (I might have to kick Wesley's butt though) or SeaQuest.

Just to hang out with good looking people, I'd go with CSI so I could spend my time with Nick.

Posted by: alexis | January 26, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I think that Stars Hollow would be great for long term. Secretly, the drama of Housewives of Orange county fascinates me. I can't help but think about how empty they are and how each of them define themselves by the bank account balance, the cars, the size of home and worse yet are passing this entitlement attitude on to their kids. Weird, I know....

Posted by: cj | January 26, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cj | January 26, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

wow, great list idea. i always wanted to be on little house in the prairie. it was such a simple time (at least before the shark jumping later episodes) and even as a kid i could tell the world was kind of a complex and scary place.

OR, flipper, just to get to hang out with a dolphin.

today, i would endure the discomfort of working at dunder mifflin if it would give me a shot at jim halpert!! or, i think i would like being padma, hostess from top chef. i know, weird. but she gets to eat amazing food but remain supermodel gorgeous, and has the intellectual stimulation at home of her husband, salman rushdie!

Posted by: sarita | January 26, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Does a "reporter" on The Daily Show count?

Posted by: Mindypoo | January 26, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh my goodness, I wanted to live in the world of Silver Spoons when I was a pre-teen. All those kids were so cool.

Now, I wish I could take up residence in West Wing. But that's a very typical DC response now isn't it?

Posted by: LV | January 26, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Veronica Mars...put me in a Logan/Weevil sandwich, please!!!

Posted by: IndyAnna | January 26, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

And I'd like to add that if it were books - I'd chose the whole Outlander series - Claire and Jamie.....now that would be a great live fantasy!!!!

Posted by: cj | January 26, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I would want to live at Hogwarts to go to Diagon Alley- I really REALLY want to know what Butterbeer tastes like!

Posted by: ML | January 26, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Dallas...Love Boat...Wonder Years...Happy Days.

Posted by: Columbia, MD | January 26, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

oooh, Highlander--totally! (and I am a 30-something female)

Posted by: Liza | January 26, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Because I wanted to live in Montana and be a cowboy when I was young, any old western would do (but probably not Deadwood).

Posted by: Fairfax | January 26, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

OMG, I completely forgot about Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrel and Snatch. Love that Turkish.

I'm jumping on the bandwagon with the Harry Potter fantasy.

As a kid I dreamed of working at Grace Brothers from Are You Being Served? Being around Mr Humphrey's and Mr Lucas.

Posted by: petal | January 26, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

oh, yes, and the OUTLANDER series . . .

Posted by: Fairfax | January 26, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I too would love to jump into a nice life in Neptune - but mostly so I could arrange for Logan to get his deviated septum fixed and STOP ALL THAT MOUTH BREATHING. Please.

and, um, make that a Weevil Deputy Leo sandwich, hold the Weevil.

Posted by: Hearst College | January 26, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely always wanted to serve in the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars. Three cheers for Lucky Jack!

Giant big screen TV, all the coolest gadgets, superdeluxe easy chair . . . . I want my living room to be the bridge on the Enterprise!

Posted by: John in Alexandria | January 26, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I wanted to be part of the Brady Bunch family and the Fresh Prince of Bel Air...

Posted by: Memory Laner | January 26, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Sunnydale -- life on the hellmouth couldn't be that different than working for the government. And, Spike and I could re-enact that bringing-down-the-house scene over. And over. And over...

Posted by: slayerama | January 26, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Aww yeah! I would love to work at Grace Brothers, too!!

Miss Belle, are you free?

Posted by: miss belle | January 26, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

When I was a kid, I totally wanted to be at the Ocean Patrol Headquaters with Marine Boy and have lots of underwater adventures fighting bad guys riding on my trusty dolphin. My friends and I used to act out episodes, though we always fought over who would be Neptina and have the giant magic pearl...

Posted by: Ocean Patrol | January 26, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Oh wow, I am so glad I'm not the only person who wants to live at Hogwarts.

When I was little, I was fascinated by the movie version of the Secret Garden. I'm still holding out hope that someday some benevolent stranger will leave me a giant old English estate, and I can just have the run of the place. Hey, it could happen.

Posted by: Emmie | January 26, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Remember those Saturday morning shows - "Shazam" and "Isis"? I thought I could live in those worlds, as well as Adam West's "Batman".

If I was a little younger when Harry Potter came out, I'm pretty sure I would have been dreaming of life at Hogwarts.

Now, I dream of Mr. Darcy sweeping me away in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.

Posted by: Liz | January 26, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

My college roommate and I once bonded over the fact that we admitted that when we were kids and watched the Sonny and Cher Show, we both always wished that we could be Chastity Bono. (They would bring her out to say goodnight at the end of the show, and I just thought they must have this fun and impossibly glamorous life). What a hoot.

As an adult I envied Friends, not because of the characters so much but because they all seemed to have so much time to hang out together. You never lacked for something to do. My friends and I have to make so much effort to get together.

Posted by: 70s child | January 26, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I want Frazier's apartment. And I want Daphne... or Roz. I'll kick out Frazier, Niles and the Old Man.

Posted by: Mister Methane | January 26, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

That one is easy...I would LOVE to be a CSI with the Vegas cast. Blood 'n guts have never bothered me, but some of the sciences I ventured a try with in high school and college kicked my tushie, so I don't have the gift...ah well.

Posted by: Damien | January 26, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

SCTV. Definitely SCTV. I've had a crush on Pirini Sclerosa for years and years.

Posted by: Zyzzybaluba | January 26, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Firefly -- Live on Serenity, fly around the 'verse, be slightly bad and oh, yeah -- Love my cap'n.

Posted by: Anne | January 26, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

You know... Land of the Lost wouldnt be so bad. If you could get past the Sleestaks and the only female companionship being a) underage and b) WAY WAY WAY too annoying. Yeah... nevermind... that would suck.

Posted by: Quintilius Varus | January 26, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

As I child I sooo wanted to be Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird, sitting on Gregory Peck's lap.

Posted by: possumlady | January 26, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Big ups to miss belle.

Why yes Captain Peacock, I'm freee.

Posted by: petal | January 26, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Take me to Mayberry. Now. The black-and-white one.

Posted by: johnzima | January 26, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

In the O'Brien novels, things really do improve as you move along. The ships with the gag-a-maggot below deck areas are replaced by the sweet smelling (no longer plague ridden) Nutmeg, then the beloved (and privately owned for the most part) Surprise again. Women certainly are treated better as the novel progress, too. In the early books, women are prostitutes, a little crazy, or upper class and protected. Later, you actually get women on the ships fairly regularly. The recurring women also get a LOT more interesting. We'll except Diana. I hated that cow from the get-go. New female characters were complex and interesting (that female naturalist in Africa, whose name escapes me).

I have to admit that I've imagined myself in this world, too, probably working in the sick-berth and seeing the world.

Posted by: Terry in Maryland | January 26, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I hate "Mary Sue" fan fiction, but this post full of MS fantasies is hilarious and wonderful.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 26, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

But then the question becomes: "where did they go to the bathroom"?

Posted by: Fairfax | January 26, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I wanted to join the Gothic and mysterious world of "Twin Peaks." Maybe as the assistant DA or the high school vice principal. Yeah, I would have had the challenge of taking Agent Dale Cooper away from Heather Graham, but I could be guaranteed a cool retro wardrobe and an even cooler soundtrack. Besides, that show badly needed some female characters who weren't either temptresses, damsels in distress, or mad housewives.

Posted by: San Mateo | January 26, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I still want to be Donna in The West Wing so I can kiss and sleep with Bradley Whitford. I can picture it now . . . retake after retake after retake.

Posted by: Jessica | January 26, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

But just so we're clear, I have no desire to be Amanda Peete's character in Studio 60. I want a man just like Josh. No, wait. I just want Josh. So I want to be Donna.

Posted by: Jessica | January 26, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

How bout the Dukes of Hazzard...we could use an even HOTTER cousin of Daisy called April Mae June. That would be cool

Posted by: Jim Stewart | January 26, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I went to college in what is basically a larger, real-life version of Gilmore Girls' Stars Hollow (and to the fellow Babysitters Club fan--where Ann M. Martin went to school). It was fun. After the first week I couldn't believe I once-for-a-second thought about going to school in New York or DC. Small Town, New England is the way to go!

As an adult, 50% of me still wants that Stars Hollow life, the other 50%--West Wing. Probably explains why I'm a little nutty--I always want opposite things equally :)

Posted by: smithie | January 26, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I used to wish I could be Samantha from "Bewitched"

Posted by: from Williamsburg | January 26, 2007 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be great to live in Mary Richards and Rhoda Morgenstern's apartment building? When I was ten, I wanted an apartment with beads hanging in the doors like Rhoda had.

Posted by: 70s childhood | January 26, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I can only pick one!?!?

Well, top choice is Price and Prejudice. I'm with you on the dresses. They're so beautiful.

But I have to admit, Alias is a close second. I've always thought it would be fun to be a spy, not to mention I could meet the hottest guy alive, Michael Vartan!

Posted by: Austenchick | January 26, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

The Cosby Show. And I'm white.

Posted by: Joe | January 26, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Geekness alert...
Today I picture myself in any Joss Whedon project.

There was a time when I'd picture myself as some mixture of Babylon 5 and Highlander (an Immortal human living amongst the aliens in the future, how cool would that be)

Posted by: Tiff in the OK | January 26, 2007 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I totally understand Smithie's inclination to want two things equally.

Even though I started out by saying Star's Hollow, I also would love to live at Hogwarts (love the idea of moving walls!), and had a huge crush on Wesley Crusher on Star Trek as a pre-teen.

Maybe it's just a function of getting older that makes you fantazise more about awesome people, as opposed to awesome locations. Still think Lorelei would be awesome to sit and drink wine with!

Posted by: Ashley | January 26, 2007 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Oh I'm definitely with Anne - it's Firefly all the way.

Shiny!!

Posted by: Karen | January 26, 2007 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Ward Cleaver

Posted by: Russ | January 26, 2007 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Bond...James Bond...... Zurich, Rome, Moscow....side trip to Jamica to pop a couple of bad guys.... Flier miles, cars, toys and I'd finally look really cool in a tux.

Posted by: BK | January 26, 2007 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Pretender. Quantum Leap. - a sense of morality and lifelong loyalty from total strangers. TRUST that someone will do the right thing on your behalf when you are hanging by your last fraying thread.

Northern Exposure - unquestioned respect for the quirky while conformity is viewed as suspect.

Posted by: Cooky | January 26, 2007 7:54 PM | Report abuse

I have several tv shows that I'd like to be a character in:

*a citizen helping Jessica, Seth, and Sheriff Tupper solve murders in Cabot Cove on Murder,She Wrote
*a vampire with a soul who aids Buffy in her fights against the forces of evil in Sunnydale
*an FBI agent who aids Scully and Mulder in their investigation of a paranormal case on the X-Files
*a barfly who hangs out at Cheers and gets to listen to the conservations between Norm, Cliff, Woody, Sam, et al.

Posted by: Matt | January 26, 2007 8:03 PM | Report abuse

OK, I'll REALLY date myself and admit that, as a kid, I wanted to be Penny in Sky King. She was just so darn cute, with the blonde pony tail and all. And she and her uncle, the pilot, were always having great adventures. Also wanted to somehow hook up with Roy Rogers and Dave Evans.

Now, I'd like to be Helen Mirren in Prime Suspect. So smart and sexy, and tough too.

Lots of good ideas above. Adam was my favorite Cartwright brother too. Ben Casey, played by Vince Edwards in the early 1960s, was my heartthrob way back when. Brad Whitford is one of my current faves.

Northern Exposure . . . what a great idea! It was, indeed, a delightfully quirky world, and I loved the haircut on the female lead.

So many possibilities. Alas, not much chance of entering any of these appealing worlds. Fortunately, my own is reasonably appealing too.

Posted by: THS | January 26, 2007 8:09 PM | Report abuse

The Electric Company for two reasons: Rita Moreno

Posted by: Mike | January 26, 2007 8:23 PM | Report abuse

"Northen Exposure" for sure. I still think about those characters.
"Highlander," if I could house-sit the barge in Paris while Mac was in Seattle.
"Sky King"---what a funny post. My preference from that period would be a sidekick on "Yancey Derringer."
More realistically, how about a cameo as the groundskeeper at Robin Masters' Hawaii estate?
Here's a reach: the guy who outdraws the punk gunfighter in "McCabe & Mrs. Miller" after he guns down Keith Carradine.

Posted by: degatesjr | January 26, 2007 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Ok, this makes me sound like I'm 50, but when I was little I wanted to be in a Hayley Mills movie - The Parent Trap, Polyanna, or my favorite Summer Magic (which for the longest time I only knew as the Yellow House Movie). I loved that movie (and now live in a yellow Victorian).

Posted by: Allison | January 26, 2007 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Upstairs /Downstairs but only if Lady Marjorie is still alive and I was her beloved cousin. I would want to persaude the PM to break the Entente Cordial and leave France and Russia to fight out the war without Briton. History today would be so different. German would be the universal language of Europe and the Moslems would be demanding that Germany withdraw from Palestine and Azerbajian.

Otherwise, Babylon 5 would be a great choisce. Like being in Vienna in 1900. B-5 for me if I can shag Lyta, see the verse and party with Londo.

Hogwarts as a long term lease destination if I can be a student in the 1990'sand if I can have superior [magic]skills.Luna and Susan Bones are you free tonight?

Also. the March family of Little Women but only if Winnona or Kate are playing Jo. I'd shag the lot of them [March girls ].

Finally, the Forsythe Saga but only if I was Old Jolyon's only heir and Irenee was unattached and interested in me. Of course Fleur would be an interesting alternative; but Ireanee was a sexually alive, mature woman and [Fleur] lacked her maturity and beauty.

77 Sinset Strip might be fun to visit for a week.

Posted by: Eric | January 26, 2007 8:39 PM | Report abuse

What fun to dream. I grew up watching a western no one has mentioned here, "Cheyenne" with Clint Walker, such a great good looking guy. It would be a hoot to pal around the early west with him, get to meet a variety of people, and breathe clean air. No cattle drives, that is.
Also, I agree with the guy who likes Next generation, the Holodeck, ya. Wouldn't it be nice to be somewhere where you didn't know what was coming next, did not have to worry about money or material things in general. Have to admit, I would miss the beautiful places on earth however.

Posted by: greta | January 26, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

As a junior ADA, I had a secret yen to leave the clean, manageable, friendly (and yet still crime-ridden) county I worked in, located in the Midwest, and head straight into the cast of NYPD Blue -- without the massive civil rights violations, of course. I've not yet seen another show that does a better job of depicting the genuine love and respect that many folks in law enforcement have for their jobs. Not just their individual jobs, but the entire world of law enforcement/police work itself.

These days, I'd also love to spend some time living on Wisteria Lane. Scary mysteries AND foyer paint to die for! And, who wouldn't want to hang out with Lynette? Or just humbly throw themselves on Bree's mercy, acknowledge her dominance/superiority up front, and ask her nicely to tell me down to the exact detail how to get my woodwork to shine like that? I wonder: has anyone else ever looked at her house and thought, "Gosh, I bet that house smells really good ALL THE TIME..."?

Posted by: Doonesburied | January 26, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

You all need to get a real life.

Posted by: acropoet | January 26, 2007 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I wish to have Mr. Big (and his name was John).

Posted by: Seana1 | January 26, 2007 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Flambards, anyone?
I'm singing a song of Christina at Flambards, lala lalala! Mum MUM mum...

Posted by: miss belle | January 26, 2007 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Growing up I wanted to be Jeanne or Sam (Bewitched) and there was 1 girl that would definitely be in Siberia or walking around with a pig snout. Nowadays working with Olivia in L&O SVU would be very cool, possibly Jack Bauer's assistant on 24 or if I'm having a bad day, a long-lost Soprano.

Posted by: K.C. | January 26, 2007 10:42 PM | Report abuse

i always wanted to live in the house from Clue.

and there was this show on BBCA called Hex for a while...i totally kinda wish i was the blonde girl...without all the creepy demon-stalking-me bit of it. (yeah, and i like the idea of having a sexy british accent)

Posted by: roseythesheep | January 26, 2007 11:01 PM | Report abuse

When I was 13, I wanted to be Mrs. Emma Peel from those vintage years of "The Avengers." And 40 years later, I still want to be Mrs. Peel! She had the coolest clothes, the suavest car. She had John Steed always needing her in every single episode. She was brave, funny, loyal and smart. Plus, she kicked major butt. What's not to love?

Posted by: jsh | January 26, 2007 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Ideal job: dreaming up names for lipstick, nailpolish, eyeshadows, etc.,.,,,, and getting PAID for it..... Revon, call me...

Posted by: pinky | January 28, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Definitely 24--there's some days when I just feel like driving really fast, slapping people, and yelling "Damnit!" a lot.

Posted by: jw | January 29, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

- Absolutely yes, Northern Exposure.

- Keeping with the Alaska theme, I also wouldn't mind being a regular on the slopes of Bull Mountain in the movie Out Cold (not saying it's a good movie, just saying I could live there).

- Finally, I know this is a video game and not a TV show or movie, but I'd love to live and work on Big Mountain in the game SSX3. I could sling espresso at Eva's Coffee Hut with the best of them.

Posted by: firehat | January 29, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I wanted to go trekking through the forest with Daniel Day Lewis after seeing Last of the Mohicans. I grew up near the Adirondacks, so it seemed possible. All of that long hair and big mountains. Sigh...

Patricia Cornwell's books made me want to live in Richmond, despite all of the freaky criminals running around. Then there was the Alaska obsession after readin the Kate Shugak mysteries.

Also, I wanted to be part of the Band of Brothers. Yes, I know I'm a girl, but still.

Posted by: navlawchk | January 29, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Muppets in Space. Gonzo is the greatest!

Posted by: vanhaliz1 | January 29, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse