Posted at 7:59 AM ET, 01/24/2007

Morning Mix: Is Cruise the 'Christ' of Scientology?

By Liz Kelly

Headlines: Paternity test for Anna Nicole Smith's baby put on hold; Smith sends ex Larry Birkhead an f-word laced instant message... Madame Tussauds unveils wax Beckhams, reality show may be in the works... New Web site offers visitors a look at Paris Hilton's personal items... Isaac Hayes says he won't return to "South Park."

Rumor Mill: Tom Cruise is the "Christ" of Scientology... K-Fed wants Britney Spears to go into rehab... Jessica Simpson accompanying boyfriend John Mayer on tour... Christina Aguilera paid $1.5 million for private gig... Mandy Moore and DJ AM take their romance public... Jessica Biel and Derek Jeter split?... Hugh Hefner says Kelly Osbourne too imperfect for Playboy... Bill Clinton dodges overzealous fan at book party.

Quote of the Day:
"If you fail the first time, try try try try try try try again."
- Academy Award nominee Peter O'Toole on his nomination (More Nominee Reactions)

By Liz Kelly  | January 24, 2007; 7:59 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Courtney's Love Connection
Next: In Praise of Marky Mark

Comments

Isaac... Matt and Trey don't want you back. I think they made that pretty obvious when they killed off Chef (in a pretty dramatic fashion) and basically stated why they don't want you back.

Posted by: BF | January 24, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Scientologists do have a sense of humor!

Posted by: bkp | January 24, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I thought Britney had the custody battle wrapped up but now I'm thinking K-Fed might have a chance to get them...crazy...

Posted by: sunpop | January 24, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

The only important news today is that Derek Jeterr is available. HONEY - I'M RIGHT HERE! (However I am apparently ineligible for a Playboy spread.)

Posted by: KiKi | January 24, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

What a sick thing to with Paris HIlton's personal belongings. She could be a brainless socialite etc etc., but she deserves a bit of privacy too. You and I would get real mad if someone gets hold of our credit card bills, our medical records. OTOH, with Paris personal records it's just a sleazefest.

Posted by: RBA | January 24, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

And by "Christ" of Scientology, you mean "Oh, [Cripes], there's Tom Cruise again..."

(sorry for the PG version, but I could see the torrent of comments if I used the other version...)

Posted by: Jeepers | January 24, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Does this mean TC's next film will be The Passion of Jerry Maguire?

Posted by: PONTIUS PILOT | January 24, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

john travolta must be crushed. wasn't he the "one?"

Posted by: b | January 24, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Look out, Tom. Remember what happened to Jesus. Maybe Travolta is the second Judas and Kirstie Ally is Pontius Pilate.

And I'm Tinkerbell!!

Posted by: Barb | January 24, 2007 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I think miss belle had a theory that Anna Nicole might not be the baby's mother. I'm begining to think there's something to that.

Yes, Tom is the "Christ" of Scientology as L Ron Hubbard intended. So says L Ron, so shall it be. hahahahah! priceless.

So Jessica and John are really a couple. That's still a shocker to me. Wonder if they'll make it to the third concert show.

Posted by: petal | January 24, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

In other words, Tom Cruise went crazy for our sins

Posted by: Lisa | January 24, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Lisa wins today's prize!

Posted by: b | January 24, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

The wax figure of Victoria Beckham is more lifelike than she is! (Not to mention infinitely more flattering -- no sign of her vacant eyes, dead expression, cantaloupes bolted to her chest, protruding bones and skeletal appearance).

As for the weirder-than-weird scientologists ... give 'em enough rope and they hang themselves.

Posted by: P.J. | January 24, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

[Holla, Petal!]
Didn't Sharon Osbourne have tons of plastic surgery -- used to be round and bulbous, now she's slim and shiksa-like. So I don't see why Kelly can't go through the same transformation and be a centerfold. Not that I want this for her, just sayin...
This whole Mayer-Simpson thing makes me queasy. I really thought he was better than that.
Mandy and DJ AM -- just because you've taken your romance public doesn't mean the public cares. I've taken my writing public (here, on this forum) and nobody has asked me for my autograph or snapped my photo or copied my daring fashion sense. Try making a good movie or producing a good record, then we might sorta care.
If I had an extra $1.5 million, I would ask Xtina to sing for me too. She is that good, plus she wears panties.

Posted by: miss belle | January 24, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

wait, anna nicole's baby still doesn't have a dad yet?!! seriously? can we talk about this? how is this any more complicated than just taking the baby to a doctor and getting a mouth swab? why all the hold ups? i mean, good god, if larry birkhead IS the real dad his rights are being severely violated. no one would ever let this happen the other way around (keep a baby from her mother). just end the debate for the love!!

Posted by: anna-daddy-drama | January 24, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise is the AntiChrist so he must be the "Christ" of Scientology.

Posted by: Stick | January 24, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I kinda feel sorry for PH, I mean, having all of your stuff out there for everyone to see. Even the tour is a litte risque...

On the other hand- not pay $200 some dollars?

Posted by: Anonymous | January 24, 2007 6:07 PM | Report abuse

oh, and TC is crazy, so are his followers.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 24, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Every time I read the word "Miscavige" I think of the reverend who "married" the Princess Bride and Prince Humperdinck.

Posted by: Lori | January 24, 2007 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Well, I may not be as good looking as Tom, but my box office is much, much, bigger.

Posted by: Christ | January 25, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Since Tom Cruise is now the avatar of Scientology, can we follow him around in the style of "Monty Python's Life of Brian" and yell - "HE'S THE MESSIAH!!!"

Posted by: Maritza | January 25, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Looove that K-Fed wants Brit to get some help. And TC is Scientology's messiah- proof that that "religion" is cracked-up. The John Mayer-Jess Simpson "relationship" sounds like a longer than usual booty call for him and a reason to stay in the papers for her.

Posted by: Plamar1031 | January 25, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

This outrageous rumor started with a London tabloid well known for just making things up or accepting rumors without verifying them. As a local Scientologist I laughed at such a silly idea being circulated.
Following is an official statement from the Church of Scientology International:
"This is completely, totally and utterly a lie and a total fabrication and has no basis in the theology of Scientology in the slightest. There is no scriptural background for anyone inside or outside of the Church to come up with such a concept. As well, Mr. Miscavige has never and would never characterize any church member or anyone related to Scientology in such terms nor has or would Mr. Cruise characterize himself as such.
"As well, Scientology is a world wide religious organization made up of over 7500 churches, missions and groups, in 163 countries and over ten million members and while the Scientology religion was founded by one man, L. Ron Hubbard, he himself insisted that he was just a man. He was the founder and there will only ever be one founder. He was not a prophet, nor is he deified in any way, nor would anyone else be.
"The Church has the largest non-governmental anti-drug program in the world, the world's largest human rights education campaign, the largest private tutoring and literacy network in the world, one of the largest global emergency response forces with over 95,000 strong and has grown more in the last five years than the previous 50 combined.
"Mr. Cruise's support of such humanitarian endeavors is widely known as well as the support given to such programs by millions of Scientologists and others alike from all walks of life and diverse socio-economic backgrounds.
"Again, this story has no basis in reality whatsoever."

Posted by: Susan | January 25, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse