Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 02/ 8/2007

Lost Episode 7 Analysis: It's Back, Baby

By Liz Kelly

***Spoilers Ahead***
If you haven't yet watched Wednesday night's mid-season premiere, please visit ABC.com to do so before proceeding.

Juliet (Elizabeth Mitchell), a woman with a lot on her mind. (Photo courtesy ABC)

Yesterday in the comment section of the look-ahead post here in Celebritology, reader Janie used the term "nerdgasm" to describe the frenzied next-day discussions of "Lost" in her office each week. Thank you, Janie, for giving our bliss a name. Let the nerdgasm begin.

I was skeptical going into last night's show. After three long months to stew over a mediocre fall season, I didn't have high hopes for the return. After all, the six fall shows had only served to dilute the plot, drop vital threads and kill off one of my favorite characters (Mr. Eko). Then I made the mistake of watching the hour-long infomercial preamble at 9 p.m. Hosted by Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse (of which we were reminded every time we came back from commercial break), the special bore an unctuous resemblance to a timeshare video sales brochure, with the two producers pitching us hard to invest in their humble little show.

Then, dammit, they did it. And all it took was a glimpse of creepy Ethan (played by Tom Cruise cousin William Mapother) in Juliet's flashback and I was hooked. Not even a minute later, I was unwillingly giving Lindelof and Cuse props for casting an uncredited Robin Weigert ("Deadwood's" Calamity Jane) as Juliet's sickly sister.

Much more after the jump...

(Note: Weigert is only the latest in a series of HBO alums to turn up on "Lost." Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Harold Perrineau and Paula Malcomson all belong in that club.)

Jack (Matthew Fox) works on Ben's (Michael Emerson) back as Tom (M.C. Gainey) looks on. (Photo courtesy ABC)

Most Interesting Revelation: In Juliet's flashback, we meet her jerk of an ex-husband who seems to have some kind of hold over her, which he's using to exploit her talent as a fertility researcher. (Oh, and if he looked familiar, it's because actor Zeljko Ivanek is also an HBO alum -- he played the governor on prison drama "Oz.") I digress, though. The revelation is that the Others -- in the form of a company called Mittelos Bioscience (for which a currently non-functioning Web site exists and there is some Internet static about "Mittelos" being an anagram for "Lost time", compounded by the producers' revelation that the episode contained a significant anagram) -- reveal themselves to Juliet and leave us with the distinct impression that they are able to come and go at will from the Losties' island. That impression is furthered by Ben's promise to Juliet that she can leave the island if she convinces Jack to finish the operation on his spine.

Biggest Bombshell: Ben is Alex's father? No way. We've been led to believe that Alex is the long-lost daughter of nutty French loner Rousseau, who continues to search the main island for her girl. And when Rousseau held Sayid captive in season one, she told him how she came to the island with her husband, Robert, who she killed along with the rest of her companions after they became infected with some kind of virus. She then said she gave birth, but the newborn was stolen by the Others. Leaving us to conclude that either Rousseau is lying/delusional and was actually some kind of Others fertility experiment or that Benry is lying and has merely told Alex that he is her father to avoid getting into the messy story of her dead dad and Rambo-esque mother.

Interesting Development: Although we didn't get to see Locke, Hurley, Desmond or any of the other Losties back on the main island in last night's episode, we did get to see Sawyer and Kate escape the island with Other teen Karl (who was found being subjected to some kind of "Clockwork Orange"-esque torture courtesy of Ben). I'm hoping this sets up Karl as a valuable turncoat/source of information about his former "family." Is he, like Alex, a child of the island and is it merely a coincidence that he looks like Nicole Richie ex DJ AM?

Stumpers: In the one-hour infomercial preamble, Lindelof described the second island as being much like Alcatraz, two miles off the shore of the main island. And we can clearly see the main island looming in the distance when Sawyer and Kate start paddling away. Why is it that none of the Losties back on the main island have ever spotted this second island? Wouldn't Sayid, Jin and Sun have seen it when circumnavigating the island? Is there some significance to Juliet's proclamation that she's been on the island for three years, two months and 28 days or is she just a little obsessive about calendaring?

Another flashback question to consider involves Juliet's sister. Were the fertility treatments administered to her the cause of her illness or was Juliet actually trying to impregnate a woman who was already seriously ill? From the telltale headscarf, she had every appearance of a person in the midst of chemotherapy or radiation treatment. And, assuming three years have passed since the flashback, is there a baby somewhere or was Juliet transported to the island before her sister had a chance to carry to term?

Maybe we'll learn more in episode 11, when we will apparently find out what the Others' connection is to the Dharma Initiative.

Annoyances: I love me some Sawyer, but even I was ready to smack him last night after his 14th or 15th use of a snappy nickname -- the overused "Freckles" for Kate, "Underdog" for Alex and "Cheech" for Karl, among others. Tom (the Other who kept asking gee-whiz questions of Jack in the operating room) is possibly the worst actor on the show or functioning as an in-show guide for new viewers, in much the same way that the exasperating Nikki and Paulo joined the Losties on the main island last fall.

Best Performance of the Night: Hands down, Michael Emerson's Benry managed to give the command performance while strapped face-down to an operating table. His anesthetized mastery of the room ("one gentleman to another") was incredibly creepy and effective.

What did you think of last night's episode? What did I miss? Let's keep this going in comments and in today's 2 p.m. ET live discussion.

Next Week on "Lost": Flashes Before Your Eyes: A suspicious and determined Hurley enlists Charlie to help him wrangle the truth out of Desmond, who has been acting strangely ever since the implosion of the hatch.

By Liz Kelly  | February 8, 2007; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Lost, TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Lohan Parties Her Way Through Rehab
Next: Anna Nicole Smith Dead

Comments

I thought the deal with Juliet's sister was that she had cancer (I assumed uterine or something) and Juliet had given her magic injections which allowed a steril woman to have a baby. Just like the male field mouse that the people from "portland" were talking about. Maybe I was connecting imaginary dots.

And can we please discuss the getting hit by a bus thing?

Posted by: KW | February 8, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

One thing I appreciated: more happened in last night's episode than in the entire series to date. There's an obvious attempt afoot to emulate the pace of 24, and it really helped.

Those two execs came off as total self-impressed morons. It was just sad. And also, it killed the actual episode's ratings...bad move ABC.

Posted by: Dan Cooper` | February 8, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

The website works intermitently. Once you get there, www.mittelosbioscience.org

Go to the Projects Page

pw: rachel.

Here's the vid you need to see if the web page isn't working:

And if you CAN get the link to work.......3RD ISLAND HELLO?!?!WTF?!?

Posted by: Bored @ work | February 8, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I got the website to work the first time, but didn't see an option for a Projects page. Now when I try, I get "Service Unavailable".

Posted by: m.a. | February 8, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't anyone remember that it was Rousseau who captured Henry Gale/Ben in her net before the Losties held him hostage? I would think that if he were actually Alex's father, Rousseau would have recognized him then, unless she is somehow still involved with them or has become so delusional she didn't recognize him. Furthermore, the Others were very adamant about the Losties not venturing to the North side of the island. By keeping them afraid of that side, it may have prevented them from seeing the Alcatraz island. Just a thought.

Posted by: LC | February 8, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

OMG! The creepy video link posted by bored@work gave me chills. Does anyone have a transcript?

Posted by: AmyBow | February 8, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

The Mittelos website is not affiliated with the show. It went active before the episode aired as a countdown to Wednesday. It's registered through GoDaddy and is NOT official. It's a fan-created site from someone who saw the episode in advance.

The producers were not acting like themselves during the clip show before the episode. They aren't really pompous asses. Listen to their podcasts, they're really funny and loose guys, but I don't think the network would let them do their usual brand of humor on national TV.

Posted by: MNW | February 8, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I admit, I have never seen the show until last night. I watched the 9pm recap show, and while the producers were self-absorbed, I have to admit, they did a good job of hooking me in to watch the 10pm show. It helped me to understand what in the world was going on with everyone. Very helpful for someone who has never seen the show before and did a good job of snookering me in.

Posted by: Newly hooked | February 8, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

This is speculation only, but re the Other's connection with Hanso:

During the summer they did that "Lost Experience" game online with bits of video being released. One of the things revealed was that one Thomas Mittelwerk was a founder of Hanso and even staged a company takeover (hostile to the point of kidnapping Hanso).

It doesn't seem like a coincidence that Mittelos and Mittelwerk are such similar names. And it is a little worrysome because Mittelwerk was working on a virus designed to have a 30% fatality rate.

Posted by: David | February 8, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Should we believe MNW that the web site is not part of the Lost Experience?

THanks for posting the video link address, Bored@work. But I can't get the link to do anything but show me their home page--no hot spots on the page.

Posted by: Suspicious | February 8, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

What's the deal with "torture" showing up on TV these days?

First ROME, now LOST?

Makes me wonder . . .

Posted by: Fairfax | February 8, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

The bus coming out of nowhere was a huge shock. It actually made me jump. When Juliet was going to give her sister the injection and she saw Ethan (who is creepy in his own right) where were they? That didn't look like a clinic, it actually mirrored the place the others stay to me.

I think the injections were to get her sister preggers but the question is. Who's the daddy? And. Will Sawyer suffer some of the effects of the brain jacking Kent experienced? Because he watched the screen and seemed engrossed.

Posted by: petal | February 8, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Great show, as always. I'm glad that our heroes were finally able to win a skirmish against the Others - I was really getting tired of seeing them get outsmarted every time!

There is one answer to the question of the bus accident which doesn't involve anything mystical. It's that the Mittelos guys arranged the accident to free Juliet from the hold her husband has on her, so that they can convince her to work for them, and to demonstrate their power to her. There could always be another explanation which is less reality-based, but we might as well start with the simplest explanation for now.

This show gave us yet another reminder to keep our eyes on the children. They are the key to the mystery at the heart of this show, and they will wield immense power, for good or evil...

Steve

Posted by: Steve | February 8, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

David--good point on the Mittletos. Maybe the smoke monster is really a part of the virus, and, in addition to killing Eko, this is also what started killing Rousseau's shipmates?

Also, Rousseau is Alex's mother, I think. I think Benry has just pretended to be her father, and really, how would Juliette be the wiser?

Here's another, bigger question: why are the Others so obsessed with fertility, children and birth anyway? They seem quite cultic in their going-ons.

I thought the episode was excellent--it really brought the show back to form.

Posted by: Brian | February 8, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Just a note, Juliette's ex-husband's name was Edmund Burke. You can see his full name briefly on his name placard on his desk. Edmund Burke, like, John Locke, was an 18th century British philosopher. I'm not sure what the significance to the show could be, but it's a fun fact.

Posted by: eothdl | February 8, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

maybe the pre-show would have been better if hosted by some of the actors, although anyone who remembers the west wing ego extravaganza after 9/11 knows how bad that can be. but the producers were awkward and way too pleased with themselves.

Posted by: anon | February 8, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Apparently Liz enjoyed this comeback episode much more than I did. Didn't watch the pre-show, but I'll catch it on TiVo. I found the reveals underwhelming. I was looking for answers to past questions, not more convolutions to ponder. If this was supposed to be the show that would win back viewers after a three-month hiatus, it seems to have missed the mark.

And I'm a die-hard sci-fi/fantasy fan. Even held out hope for Star Trek Enterprise. Last night was far from a deal-closer.

Posted by: Not Shlomo | February 8, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

At least there was one decent reveal in that we saw that the Others didn't necessarily grow up on the island.
I thought that the writers just gave a huge middle finger to the audience with the one guy about to explain to Jack why they wouldn't leave the islands after they crashed, but then having the medical emergency interupt. They were basically saying that they could care less about revealing anything to the viewers of the show.
All in all, not terrible, but not really all that good either.

Posted by: Chris | February 8, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

About the Other's ability to leave the island...
I agree Liz that the flashback scenes seemed to make it clear that the Others could come and go (unless Ethan had not made it there yet), but I don't think that holds true any longer. While operating Jack asked Tom why they went through the trouble to get him (Jack) to operate on Ben if they could have just taken him to any hospital in the world. Tom begins to answer saying something like, "ever since the sky turned purple...." Indicating that since the Hatch im/explosion something has changed in their ability to get off the island. I wonder if this affects the supply drops and their communications with the "outside world" too?

Posted by: ladybugolo | February 8, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I agree -- pre-show was lame. But I kept it on, muted, and noticed something interesting. During the Hurley flashback, they showed his McMansion on fire. The color and the way the smoke moved mimicked the black smoke on the island. Did anyone else see this?

Posted by: polyester | February 8, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Hurley's pregnant!

Posted by: Another Liz | February 8, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Yet another conspiracy-type thing to consider: Juliet said she had been on the island for 3 years, 2 months, and 28 days. We found out earlier that the Losties crashed on the island in October 2004 - now, we know that they've been on the island for almost 2 months, putting the timeframe in or around early December 2004. That means Juliet left civilization somewhere around 9/11......

Am I reading too much into it? Probably. But it does seem kinda cool.

Also, who is Karl? Who's his father? How did Sawyer know who Karl was (when Alex told Sawyer/Kate that they had to rescue her boyfriend before they could leave on Alex's boat)??

And yes, I loved Juliet's ex-husband's untimely demise at the windshield of the #28 cross-town bus. The producers sure know how to introduce twists/turns....

Posted by: TFrell | February 8, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I thought this was a great episode - the best of the 3rd season by far. There was action, and the plot moved forward, and the flashbacks were actually valuable. I think Rousseau (another philosopher- what's with that?) is definitely Alex's mother, but since Alex was taken as a baby, it would be easy enough for Henry to raise her as his own. Juliet wouldn't know, since she had only been there three years.
One minor thing that bothers me:
I feel like the Others have been completely reimagined over this season.
For example, through the first two seasons, the Others had an almost supernatural ability. They could appear out of nowhere, fight with great strength, walk through the woods without making a sound. As we get to know them as just ordinary people - people who even have their own flashbacks - I miss that creepiness.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 8, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

To tfrell: Sawyer knew who Karl was because he had been in the other cage, and they had previous contact.

The bus thing was great - I jumped out of my seat.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 8, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I second the motion by the skirmish person: Why can't anybody on this show hit a target/person at 50 feet? They even miss with rifles - both sides. Except for Yunjin who got the bad guys wife in the sailboat at about five paces - and she wasn't shooting back. It drains credibility.

Posted by: Reasonable | February 8, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I can't recall, but did they actually identify Ben/Henry as Alex's father? I recall Juliet telling her father would never let them go if she went with the Lost crew, but I didn't think they actually said he was her father.

Posted by: ckf | February 8, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice the reference to Jacob on the video Karl was watching? In the final episode last fall, Tom said that "Shepard wasn't even on Jacob's list."

So who's Jacob?

Posted by: mars | February 8, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm of the opinion that there's one more "big" charachter that we haven't met yet who will turn out to be Alex's father. Or whoever they mention Alex's father as. If it was Ben, they would have said it.

Just anticipating the fake-out.

Posted by: deesee | February 8, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

"And, assuming three years have passed since the flashback, is there a baby somewhere or was Juliet transported to the island before her sister had a chance to carry to term?"

Juliet probably never saw the baby delivered. The Milettos guy told her that she would could come back after 5 months, so that she could be there for that, but once she got on the island she's been stuck there.

Posted by: pat | February 8, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Did any one notice that during the producer infomercial there was no mention of Michael or Walt. Was this intentional?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 8, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Re: Gunfire
Have you ever tried to fire a pistol accurately at 15 to 20 yards? It's not as simple as you might think. Moving makes it even more difficult. I guarantee any person who wasn't VERY practiced at shooting while on the run would be hard pressed to hit a human-size target at even 5 yards. Rifles are more accurate at distance but again, only if you're stationary. Actual credibility has been drained by movies and TV shows that make it appear far easier than it is.

Posted by: J | February 8, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

on the bus hitting the ex-husband, as soon as that scene opened you could see the bus in the background. It was obvious what was going to happen.
Why was everyone so "surprised" about that?

Posted by: lizzieb | February 8, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Enough with the 'Benry Gale' thing. That's SOOO November. His name is Benjamin Linus. We've had 16 weeks to realize this and flog the joke to death. Get over the Henry Gale thing and move on.

Posted by: Shawn | February 8, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Re: British philosophers John Locke, Edmund Burke....Found this about Jack Sheppard(two p's) at wikipedia

Jack Sheppard (4 March 1702 - 16 November 1724) was a notorious English robber, burglar and thief of early 18th century London. Born into a poor family, he was apprenticed as a carpenter but took to theft and burglary in 1723, with little more than a year of his training to complete. He was arrested and imprisoned five times in 1724 but escaped four times, making him a notorious public figure, and wildly popular with the poorer classes.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Sheppard

Posted by: Kathleen | February 8, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Back to the "Alex's Dad" thing. When Juliette told Alex to stay, she said, "When he wakes up, your Dad... Which, of course led you to believe it was Ben.

Posted by: Sandy | February 8, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Bus scene...it was the speed with which the bus hit Edward that surprised me...it wasn't moving that fast in the background during the opening shot, but then BOOM, it hits him...full force, full on.

Posted by: ckf | February 8, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Michael will be coming back. I just read somewhere, probably here, that the actor that plays him, Harold Perrineau, is doing another show.

He's co-starring in the CBS pilot Demons. Word is they couldn't come to an agreement on him returning. Which means he thought he could take them for big $$$ & they said, "No Michael can stay gone for a little while longer."

Don't know about the kid though.

Posted by: Bored @ work | February 8, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

The bus thing shocked my husband and I for a second, and then we nearly fell off the couch laughing.

That was fabulous.

I just want to know what happened to Juliet to turn her from "the mess" she claimed to be in the flashbacks into the Machiavellian character she is now. Or is her love for her sister just driving her on?

As for Alex being Ben's daughter:

When Kate, Sawyer and Alex showed up to rescue Alex, the guard said her father didn't want her there. She told the guard to ask her father, and the guard asked Danny to get Ben.

And by the way - who's to say that Ben didn't adopt Alex? "Father" doesn't necessarily mean "biological father". If Alex isn't Rousseau's daughter, then the producers did a heckuva job casting a young woman who looks a lot like and sounds a little like the woman who plays Rousseau.

Also - they seem very eager to keep Alex off the main island...maybe so she doesn't run into Rousseau?

While Juliet didn't explicitly say that Ben was her father, she did say Alex needed to be there when he woke up. Maybe it's one of the million little redirections on this show, but on top of the earlier exchange, it is not out of the question to say that Juliet was referring to Ben waking up from surgery, as opposed to someone unknown waking up from a nap.

As for the Jacob reference - I caught that too....

Posted by: Chasmosaur | February 8, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

If you can't see the mittelosbioscience.org page, KEEP TRYING! I tried entering in .com and .edu just in case it had been typed in wrong but got nowhere. Then I hit the Back button in my browser a few times and it popped up. There's bios on Juliette and Ethan and a map of the 3 islands.

THEN there is a crazy, freaky email you get when you log in as Juliette that is a video of her niece that gets interrupted by a bunch of static and a voice talking about the Hanso project and how Juliette is going to die. It's hard to make out but I think that was the gist. SO CREEPY! Whew! It gave me the chills!

(sorry if this was spoilers or whatever but for those who can't get it to come up, i had to share!!)

Posted by: Melinda | February 8, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

As for Juliet's proclamation about 3 years, 2 months and 28 days. Keep in mind it is still late November/early December 2004. Do the math...

Posted by: Shawn | February 8, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I agree w/ Amy Bow. The video link posted by Bored@work had me really creeped out. It reminded me of the movie "White Noise."

Where did the notion of a 3rd island come from?

Posted by: Mark | February 8, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

>The website works intermitently. Once you
>get there, www.mittelosbioscience.org

>Go to the Projects Page

>pw: rachel.

>Here's the vid you need to see if the web
>page isn't working:
>http://one.revver.com/watch/165062/flv/affiliate/62101

>And if you CAN get the link to >work.......3RD ISLAND HELLO?!?!WTF?!?

>Posted by: Bored @ work | February 8,
>2007 11:15 AM

Couldn't get the mittelosbioscience page --however, thanks for posting the URL for the video.

WEIRD. Curiouser and Curiouser, my friends. Definitely -- it's getting more than a bit "The Prisoner" and "X-Files": "...in control for a hundred years.." "...they're killing us..." "...slave trade but not to sell..."

Yikes. Just when you think you have a handle on some corner of the mystery...

Posted by: Gullivar Jones: His Vacation | February 8, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Kate's having a baby...you really think with a plot line that revolves around fertility and genetics that the kate/Sawyer romp WON'T end up resulting in a baby?

Jack...ask a question, dammit. Like "Now that I have some control of the situation, where the hell are we?"

Shoot out...The other was able to shoot the "walkie" (drives me nuts when they call it that) right out of Kate's (or was it Sawyer's) hand. Impressive. But at least they had Sawyer empty his clip so that was realistic. Kind of.

Juliet's husband...Anyone remember him as Ed Danvers, the district attorney in Homicide? Great show.

Posted by: random thoughts | February 8, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chasmosaur | February 8, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Jack realized at the end of the show that Juliet was leaving and he was her replacement. They need a doctor - she wants to leave - Jack is it.

As for Juliet's ex-husband getting hit by the bus, is it the same phenomenon as Desmond being able to tell the future to Hurley about Lott making a speach. There is more at play then fertility in their experiments.

Posted by: cmac | February 8, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

To cmac:

Interesting thought, but Juliet was never a surgeon. And if the whole thing is revolving around a fertility theme, what good is a spinal surgeon? Juliet would be more valuable than Jack overall...

Not being snarky, just asking...

Posted by: Chasmosaur | February 8, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree with the earlier poster re: the writers/producers. They are actually hilarious and poke fun at themselves, check out their podcasts at abc.com.

I thought last night's episode was GREAT, and I loved the Jules flashbacks, even though I hate her character. I felt a teensy bit more sympathetic towards her after seeing her back story. I hope she and Jack don't end up together.

Last note, PLEASE, PLEASE if you don't like Lost, then stop watching and posting to Lost discussions!! And geez, if you get all the answers, why would you continue watching? How boring would that be? Sheesh, hate all the complainers!! Just watch ESPN recaps already and stop whining and complaining and spoiling the fun of the rest of us! :-)

Posted by: ilovlost | February 8, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I just got into the www.mittelosbioscience.org website -- fascinating exec bios and other info (life expectancy...or Re-Animation?) and logged into Projects -- a third island, the Control Island. What the f*k!

This has to be an official site, like the Hanso one.

Posted by: Gullivar Jones: His Vacation | February 8, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

>Juliet's husband...Anyone remember him as
>Ed Danvers, the district attorney in
>Homicide? Great show.

>Posted by: random thoughts

Yup, I always remember Ivanek for his Homicide role. He's always good -- did a great role on Law & Order: Criminal Intent as a suspect.

Posted by: Gullivar Jones: His Vacation | February 8, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who could pretty much care less about all these new-ish characters? I was so ready for some Hurley and Said, even Charlie. And I get a night full of Juliet! I was so bored watching last night's show I fell asleep. I just didn't find it compelling at all and I was really looking forward to it. That said, I'll be back next week even though it's now past my bedtime.

Non-Ethan Mittelos exec = Don't know his name off the top of my head, but he was the Cuban guy on "Suddenly Susan."

Posted by: dre | February 8, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Chasmosaur,

The non Ethan guy was on Suddenly Susan with Brooke Shields and Judd Nelson, it was supposed to be a comedy on NBC. He played Miguel (I think that was his name), the photographer . I can't place his real name at the moment.

Posted by: petal | February 8, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

chasmosaur - I thought of surgeon vs researcher problem as well, but I have a feeling that was Ben's deal when he (supposedly) agreed to let Juliet go. It was the unfamiliarity of the other "other" in the surgery room with Juliet vs. Jack's skills as well - he didn't realize Juliet couldn't sew up Ben - maybe I am reading too much into this.

One more observation: The "other" that get shot at the end - he is the jock boyfriend of the main character of the 80's cult classic "Valley Girl." It bothered me the whole show - and I finally figured it out.

Posted by: cmac | February 8, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

He's Nestor Carbonell, without the accent.

Posted by: Gullivar Jones: His Vacation | February 8, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Carbonell played Luis on "Suddenly Susan" and Bat-Manuel on "The Tick". He's Mittelos exec Richard Alpert here on "Lost".

Posted by: Gullivar Jones: His Vacation | February 8, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

To dre: thanks. His name is Nestor Carbonell, and he's a character actor. Which explains the general familiarity factor. This does appear to be his first appearance on Lost, unless, of course, someone comes up with something from a Flashback ;)

Also, did anyone check out his personal quote (as Richard Alpert) on the Mittelos Bioscience web site?

"Whatever it takes. And then some."

*snort*

Posted by: Chasmosaur | February 8, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if Sun's pregnancy has anything to do with Juliett and the others......

Posted by: cbw | February 8, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Or Hurley's?

Posted by: Another Liz | February 8, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

"Oh - who played the non-Ethan Mittelos exec? He looks so familiar but I can't place my finger on it...has he been on the show before?"

He's Nestor ...something ... can't remember the last name. He was on "Suddenly Susan" (played the photographer) and on the live action version of "The Tick" (played Batmanuel. Very funny.)

Posted by: jlc1167 | February 8, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

The non-Ethan Mittelos exec was on a show with Brook Shields and Kathy Griffin. He was a handsome hispanic guy who worked with them.

Posted by: Sally | February 8, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

cmac:
I assumed Juliet's husband getting hit by a bus was arranged by the guys trying to hire her, not any kind of psychic premonition. If they add more than one psychic character (to whom it happened by accident), I'm done with this crapfest.

Posted by: Chris | February 8, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Re ladybugolo:
Lady was right about communications not working since the hatch explosion. It in the ep. the Cost of Living, where Sawyer gets knocked out by Ben and Co. and they tell him he has that explosive pace maker thing. And Coleen, Denny's wife dies from the gunshot wound delivered be Sun. Sawyer comes-to on the table and you hear Tom tell Ben that "ever since the sky turned purple we're blind, our comm's are all down and i can't get them back up again and if you haven't noticed coleen in critical condition..."

Posted by: nirma | February 8, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Carl was the young man in the other zoo-like cage when Sawyer awoke in this season's episode one. He was then taken away to parts unknown (maybe to that wild "clockwork orange" room.) Kate was then placed in that cage.

Posted by: Gil R. | February 8, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

"mittelos" is also an anagram for "time slot," as in the new time slot, in case anyone thinks they may be reading too much into it.

Of course, it's also an anagram for "mole tits," so...

Posted by: Jackie Treehorn | February 8, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Also, on Ben being Alex's dad: when they pull the "Wookie Prisoner Trick" (anyone else get a laugh out of the cell number after that reference?), Alex tells the guard to ask her dad for confirmation, and the guard radios to the base asking for Ben.

Posted by: Nick | February 8, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

more anagrams for mittelos?
MOTLIEST
ISLET TOM
EMITS LOT
SMITE LOT
MITE LOST
LOST ITEM
EMIT LOST

If it's a significant anagram, and not just a lame one (though lost time/time slot is cute), maybe one of the phrases that flashed across the screen in front of Carl can be anagrammed?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 8, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

mittelos is also an anagram for "time lost"

Posted by: Anonymous | February 8, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Liz, you missed another HBO alum. Kim Dickens (who plays the chick who hooks up with Sawyer in the con game flashbacks) was also on Deadwood. She played a prostitute on the show. So far it looks like the entire cast of Deadwood is going to show up at the rate they are going! Frankly, I could see Timothy Olyphant as a really good, really creepy Other. Timothy Olyphant and Josh Holloway....mmmm, that would be nice. :)
Loved last nights episode, cant wait for next week!

Posted by: Burke | February 8, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else notice that if you add the digits of the number of years, months, & days Juliet has been on the island: 3+2+2+8
you get 15, of the "the numbers"?

Posted by: CMH | February 8, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

If you go to the Mittelos Website and read Ethan's Bio he has the quote:

"Yes, Sappho and Phaon are we!
But one grief is weighing on me.
You don't know your way to the sea!"

It's a quote from Fyodor Dostoyevsky's "The Brothers Karamazov"

Sappho on Wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sappho

interesting...

Posted by: hc | February 8, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I agree about the pre-show sounding like an infomercial. But the show really paid off. I'm freaked out by what they were doing to that kid. And I don't trust Juliet at all. Got a bad feeling about that one.

Posted by: Sam888 | February 8, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Missed the episode. But c'mon, people: the "proper" anagram is right in front of you:

It "Lost" me.

Which it has.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | February 8, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

The Clockwork Orange treatment was the first reminder in a while that they are really bad. This season has been humanizing the Others, and I'm glad to see that they are still real bad guys, counter to their claims. I'm convinced that we're meant to take a lot away from the stuff that was flashing on that screen. But they're very easily overcome - we've seen nothing like the physical traits they seemed to have earlier. Maybe because they're not on the island?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 8, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Lost Oversite?
Someone please help here. On the season 3 opener, when we see the others in camp reading books and the plane crashes, at the end of the sequence, we see something interesting. The camera pans out from the Other's camp, and we SEE the plane burning in the distance on the SAME island, not on a different island. What does this mean? Is there a nice bungalo camp on the Lostie's island and the Others fled back to the lab?

Posted by: DR | February 8, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Do you think it's possible that Juliette's flashbacks were actually distorted by the island/her extended time on the island? How was she walking down that oh-so-familiar dark and dank hallway, passing Ethan, and then opening a door into a candlelit room in Miami? And what is she doing running into her ex-husband in the clinic that looks suspiciously like the one Claire ransacked in season 2(?)? Did they just look very similar? Is she losing it? Or am I?

Love it.

Posted by: bam | February 8, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

about Nestor Carbonell, if you've been to the movies lately and saw Smokin Aces than he was the torture guy, pasqual, who kills Matthew Fox's character in the security office

Posted by: nirma | February 8, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Personally, my favorite inside joke is that, with Jack and Juliet, "Lost" and "Grey's Anatomy" both have doctors named Shepherd and Burke.

Posted by: JH in Four Points | February 8, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice in the preview hour when someone was drinking milk out of a carton that Walt's picture was on it?

Posted by: katec810 | February 8, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

My German's pretty rusty, but "Mittelos" sounds like "Mittel Ost"--Middle East?

Posted by: tamerlane | February 8, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

i am completely over LOST. i thought i was, but then i figured i'd give this mid-season premiere a shot, but no--the thrill is gone. i absolutely do not care what happens to the characters on that show, and when you start feeling that way you know it's time to just sip your whiskey, read your book, and turn off the light. it was fun while it lasted, but i am LOST no more. hallelujah.

Posted by: methinks | February 8, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the website, bored at work...who I really don't think is bored at work or even working for that matter. You know too much.

The mysterious, questionable third island on the website claims to be the sight of Casimir Studies. As always, Wikipedia provided an answer (under Analogies for those w/o degrees in physics): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect

Posted by: bam | February 8, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Also, did Ethan look kind of out of it when they met Juliet.

Posted by: petal | February 8, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

re: Walt's photo on the milk jug
This is one of the "easter eggs" the producers referred to. Meaning: little nuggets of hidden information that only dedicated (or TiVo SlowAdvance Button addicts) will notice. FYI: Easter Eggs were traditionally used on websites to give people "in the know" secret content or access to it. I think my favorite easter egg is the japanese news broadcast playing on the TV in the background while Jin is visiting on assignment from Sun's father -- it's Hurley!!

Posted by: CMH | February 8, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Re: Juliet passing Ethan in the hallway-- I don't think they had met yet. They said hi, but it didn't sound like they knew each other. Ethan came out of a room, though I doubt it was the same room Juliet's sister was in because Juliet would have noticed. Then later, after Juliet's husband dies, Juliet asks Ethan "Have we met?" Also remember that the two Mittelos researchers knew that Juliet's sister was pregnant, but she didn't tell them. I think the scene where Juliet passed Ethan in the hallway was supposed to imply that Ethan had been spying on the sister.

Posted by: Regan | February 8, 2007 5:31 PM | Report abuse

katec810 - i did notice the face on the milk carton. wasn't sure if it was really walt or not, but knowing this show, it might well have been.

I'm left with lots of questions and very few answers, but I guess that's why i watch the show. Sooner or later the pieces have to start fitting together.

For instance, Libby. She's in the mental hospital with Hurley, but she's also seen giving the boat to Desmond. Are we going to find out more on her through Desmond's flashbacks?

If the "Others" are so interested in children, why have the essentially given up on Claire and Aaron (her baby)?

I could go on and on. I didn't start watching this show until this past summer (thank God for DVDs) and I have been hooked since. I hope they're not just jerking me around. I want some answers!

Posted by: Lost in MN | February 8, 2007 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Thanks bored@work for the website info. That video is creepy. If you put the mouse on Richard Alpert's picture under exec bios it says Alpert Hofmann. I googled Alpert Hofmann and found out he did research on LSD with another man named Dr. Richard Alpert. Some of the stories in his project are interesting. I only glanced quickly, but one talks about clouds and them taking shape, etc, maybe that's where they got the smoke monster from, LSD trips.
Great episode after much too long a break.

Posted by: GC | February 8, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

If the guy from Mittelos was named Richard Alpert, he shares his moniker with Timothy Leary's old partner from the days of free love and LSD:

Dr. Richard Alpert (born April 5, 1931), also known as Baba Ram Dass (बाबा राम दास), is a contemporary spiritual teacher who wrote the 1971 bestseller Be Here Now. He is well-known for his association with Timothy Leary at Harvard University in the early 1960s, both having been dismissed from their professorships for experiments on the effects of psychedelic drugs on human subjects. He is also known for his travels to India and his association with the Hindu guru, Neem Karoli Baba.

- From Alpert's Wikipedia listing.

Posted by: Alan | February 8, 2007 6:29 PM | Report abuse

OK, I think I can put forth a sane simple solution about this whole Alex/Henry/Rousseau "mystery" - Remember, the Producers told us that the show is, to paraphrase, is about secrets we keep from each other. We know from the show that Alex was taken from Rousseau shortly after she was born. Being an infant, Alex probably has no memories of Rousseau. Given that Ben is a master of deception, it doesn't take a leap of logic to figure out that he raised Alex as his own child and that Alex thinks of Ben as her Father.

BTW, I thought the pre-show was much better with Damon and Carlton than the past pre-shows with that oh-so ominous voice over: "imagine yourself in a planewreck with strangers. How would you survive? Who would you trust?" Gak!!!!

Posted by: dre7861 | February 8, 2007 8:34 PM | Report abuse

The Mittelos website gives some interesting spoilers on the map, under Projects. It shows 3 islands, each having certain attributes as follows (in parentheses are my own observations):

EXPERIMENTAL ISLAND (Losties' big island)
o Electromagnetic Research (original hatch)
o Medical Station (where Claire was taken)
o Observation & Conditioning (The Pearl and other stations)

CONTROL ISLAND (Others' small island)
o Zoological Research (Jack, Sawyer, Kate's cells)
o Indoctrination Facility (Carl's cell/Clockwork Orange room)
o Quarry (Kate and Sawyer smashing rocks)

OBSERVATION ISLAND (new, unknown island)
o Security
o Supply Depot (where food airdrops come from?)
o Casimir Studies

From this map it seems evident that there IS another island, and my guess is that there is another group of Others there, maybe the higher leaders which have been referred to once or twice. Also might be where eye-patch guy is located.

From the email and the video on the website, which is sent from Rachel to Julliette, we can gather that her sister did survive and has raised a daughter, who appears to be 2-3 years old. Her sister says in the email that she understands that Julliette can not respond, so Julliette must have had some contact with Rachel after she arrived on the islands.

On another note, is anyone else pissed that the producers seem to have neglected the major twist at the end of season 2, where Desmond's girlfriend and her team of researchers "find" something (presumably when the hatch creates an electromagnetic pulse)?

Posted by: ScottyB | February 8, 2007 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Many of the sublymonal images used on carl were either the same ones or similar to sublymonal images used in sprite ads this past summer. There was a tie in between lost and sprite, so don't be so suprised by this room we saw last night

Posted by: 2muchtime | February 9, 2007 12:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm not angry that the producers have neglected the Penny's friends in the Arctic subplot thus far. Remember, even though the season 2 finale (with that reveal) aired something like 9 months ago, there have only been 7 episodes since then, with perhaps only two weeks of tv time passing over those episodes. That doesn't leave a lot of time to analyze whatever the Brazilain dudes discovered and equip and mount an exbidition to save Desmond. I think they'll pick that storyline up in a little while longer ...

Posted by: Eric | February 9, 2007 8:32 AM | Report abuse

"Lost" was created by JJ Abrams, who also created "Felicity." There was an episode of Felicity where a new character stepped out into the street and very suddenly got hit by a bus.

As soon as I heard Juliet mention "hit by a bus" I realized that this was like the old saying about holding a gun up in the first act of a play--if you introduce it in act one, you have to use it by act three. So I knew that her husband was going to get hit by a bus.

That said, it was still a shock when it happened. A shock, but not a surprise...

Posted by: DDAY | February 9, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

if alex is supposed to be kept away from the main island, why was she there to help claire escape from the others when they had her in captivity?

Posted by: curious | February 9, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

"slave trade but not to sell" from the revver video...lets not forget the slave trade boat at the Black Rock, where they got the dynamite...

Posted by: quack | February 10, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

During the brainwashing scene with Karl, if the scene is played backwards, a woman is saying "only fools are enslaved by time and space". I think this is the other Easter egg, not Walt on the milk carton. Here's the website where you can watch it: http://losteastereggs.blogspot.com/2007/02/only-fools-are-enslaved-by-time-and.html
Can't take credit for it, but a friend told me about it. CREEPY!!

Also, Ben said earlier this season (episode 3) that he's "lived on this island all my life". Was he a fertility experiment? Did they need Juliet to replace someone since she's the fertility expert? Remember when he showed Jack newsclips from back home? Just before that, he said "your fellow Americans re-elected George W. Bush, Christopher Reeve died, Boston Red Sox won the World Series...". Also, since Juliet "successfully impregnated a male field mouse"...maybe the Others want Juliet to experiment on other animals (polar bears on island). Ben doesn't consider himself an "American"?

How's that for a monkey wrench?

Also in episode 3, so the plane crashed on 9/22/04 and the "episode" was on 11/29/04. Just wanted to share that in case anyone was trying to figure out the whole time and space thing.

Another thing, if you go to the mittelos.org, they'll show an email from Juliet to her sister Rachel, understanding that she can't email back. And a map of 3 (!) islands. Maybe the 3rd island is where Walt and Michael ended up?

Posted by: Monkey Wrench | February 13, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

One last thing....in the email from Rachel to Juliet, there's the link to that creepy video. After watching it again (it's pretty garbled), it's saying something about...juliet it's me, been trying to contact you for years, doing these experiments on humans for years, the hanso foundation (some other foundation), mittelos bioscience, they're all the same, for a over a century they've been controlling us, slaves in the 1800's, they're not helping, they've been killing us, it's not about experimenting on humans but...

CREEPY!!!

Posted by: Monkey Wrench | February 13, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

---And can we please discuss the getting hit by a bus thing?---

The bus scene was reminesent of the movie Final Destination, where people who get off a doomed plane before it takes off and blows up due to a premonition, are subsequently killed as fate, which missed them the first time, hunts them down and kills them one by one. A great movie.

One scene in Final Destination is EXACTLY like the bus scene that kills Juliet's husband. A girl is talking to her friends and steps out into the street, backwards, and is hit by a bus moving very fast. Add to that the incorporation of "fate" in the next episode and its all starts to make sense. The bus scene was meant to lead us to the movie Final Destination and how fate ends up winning in the end. Good job writers!

Posted by: Sully | February 15, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse