Posted at 7:03 AM ET, 02/ 9/2007

Morning Mix: Latest Anna Nicole Headlines

By Liz Kelly
Anna Nicole Smith, 1967 - 2007

(AP)

Updated at 4:29 p.m. ET: Medical examiner says more tests needed to determine cause of death... Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband says he may be baby's father... Judge denies Larry Birkhead's request for immediate DNA test... Birkhead posts tribute to Smith on Web site (currently unavailable)... Smith's mother blames drugs for death... Sources say baby Dannielynn remains in Bahamas... Friends react to Smith's death... Smith's final interview posted online... People: Key questions answered... ABC: Medical FAQ... Death leaves tangled legal web... Source tells CBS affiliate illegal drugs found in Smith's room... Access Hollywood carries eyewitness report... Tabloid news agency shopping videotape of Smith's last moments... Wikipedia entry defaced as Smith dies.

Anna Nicole Smith, a postmodern pinup for a tabloid age, died of unknown causes yesterday after being rushed to a Florida hospital, her sudden death at 39 delivering the same shock and uproar as the celebrity life she cultivated from the hardscrabble dust of small-town Texas. -- Adam Bernstein and Tamara Jones

For as much as she was a figure of fun, a goddess of tabloid abundance, the shock of her death at 39 was far bigger than that of just any celebrity. She had gotten under our skin, and taken on a role we didn't quite realize was so big in the history of marriage, money and sex. -- Philip Kennicott

Other Headlines: Rumors of a "Borat" sequel are greatly exaggerated... Prosecutors considering assault charges for Ryan O'Neal... Grammys to include James Brown tribute... Foo Fighters honored by Prince's cover of their song at Super Bowl... Dr. Dre signs movie production deal... Sensitive soul Russell Crowe drops cheergirls from rugby club... Kevin Costner and wife expecting child... Rapper Jadakiss indicted on New York gun charge.

Rumor Mill: Paul McCartney to offer Heather Mills $49 million divorce settlement... Nicole Richie says she's afraid of going to prison... O.J. Simpson barred from spending book advance... Paris Hilton's chihuahua an imposter?... Hilton BFF Kim Kardashian to sue over sex tape release... Michael Jackson turns to "Idol" creator to mastermind comeback.

Note: Today's planned Friday List will be postponed until next week.

By Liz Kelly  | February 9, 2007; 7:03 AM ET
Categories:  Anna Nicole Smith, Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Anna Nicole Dead: A Timeline
Next: Morning Mix: Smith's Partner Gives Interview

Comments

I have to say that for what its worth, this man died a happy Fellow....

Posted by: Xpurgation | February 9, 2007 8:42 AM | Report abuse

No Friday list? Curses.

Once again, ANS has ruined my Friday.

Posted by: byoolin | February 9, 2007 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Is 49 million a lot of money in the celebrity spectrum? Sounds kind of cheapy.

Posted by: Barb | February 9, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Don't have anything to add to the stories.

I'm just waiting for the celebritology haters who have nothing better to do with their time than post about how all of this, especially ANS's death, is non news and we should focus all of our attention on what they consider important.

Posted by: BF | February 9, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

BF, for the hater stuff, read the comments with the previous two Celebritology entries ("Anna Nicole Dead: A Timeline" and "Anna Nicole Smith Dead").

Posted by: byoolin | February 9, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

That was kinda my point byoolin. I was just shocked at the amount of hate that came out. Figured since blog entries about ANS's death have gone 2 for 2 in attracting the haters, this one would too.

Posted by: BF | February 9, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it's some kind of attention-span deficit disorder.

Posted by: byoolin | February 9, 2007 10:20 AM | Report abuse

where was/is the lawyer/baby daddy? he suddenly finds himself in a position to take charge of a lot o' money.

fishy, fishy, fishy

Posted by: melovesaconspiracy | February 9, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm not surprised by her death for some reason. I feel badly for her family & her kid but I can't be upset by this for some reason.

I just hope the kid gets any money she had/has & not that greaseball Howard K. Stern.

Just another entry for Hollywood Babylon.

These folks die & 3s, who's next? Is it wrong to hope it's Paris?

Posted by: Bored @ work | February 9, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

No, nothing will happen to Paris unless she gets a bad bottle of hair bleach.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 9, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

i *think* i read somewhere that the "commitment ceremony" between her and greaseylawyerbabydadddy was not honored as legal in the US. if that's the case then he has no spousal benefits to her estate beyond what she may have established via a will and/or declaring beneficiaries.

Posted by: hmmm | February 9, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm with Barb on this one. The $49 million seems a little on the low side. I'm thinking Sir Paul is going to be in for a throw down, Heather doesn't strike me as the type to take this and run.

If or when Nicole goes to prison, what are the chances of a "Simple Life behind bars" season? Also, will it manage to be even less interesting than the other season?

I'm hurting from the lack of a list today.

Posted by: petal | February 9, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

The "Commitment Ceremony" isn't honored in the USA or Bahamas but he is listed as the little girl's father on the birth certificate, so unfortunately until parentage can be determined, he is in control of her life. What I don't understand is that it states she was in FL on vacation... why didn't she bring her daughter with her...? The papers keep saying people around her say she was a good mother but I don't know any mother that would leave her baby behind to go on vacation when the baby is only 5 months old.

Posted by: M | February 9, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I think it's extremely sad. I can honestly say I was shocked when I found out she died. Especially considering the past few months. I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means, but the whole affair is really really odd. From the death of the billionaire son to the death of her son to her death so young. Bizarre.

Posted by: not bluto | February 9, 2007 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I usually switch between WTOP and WP radio on the drive home. I forgot who reported Anna Nicole as "found catatonic and unresponsive, later reported dead."

I asked my wife later, "Anna Nicole has been 'catatonic and unresponsive' for as long as I've seen her on TV, how could they tell she was dead?"

She led a very hard life, I can't say I was surprised. The ME is probably going to find a chemical cocktail in her similiar to Daniel's findings.

Posted by: Ken | February 9, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I realize that good mothers would not leave their infants in someone else's care to go on vacation, but this woman certainly had a lot of things going on around her (paternity suits, her son's death, etc) and I think this is more than sufficient explanation (not excuse) for abdicating her parental responsibilities.

Posted by: To M | February 9, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

For some reason, I found myself thinking of the lead female role in "Forrest Gump." A lot of women "get lost" in the way ANS did. I always found her a comic figure, but imagine the pain of your first child dying as another is born. And for those who say, "Who cares?", I see the following reasons: 1) basic empathy, 2) celebrity is our collective creation, 3) why no rehab for this woman?

War deaths are probably not page 1 news because some very powerful figures have not wanted them to be. They didn't even want us to see flag-draped coffins coming home, folks! However, the Washington Post, NPR, and other outlets have done their best to tell the individual stories of those dying for a lie.

Posted by: Jill | February 9, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I am not sure of any agreements between the US and the Bahamas, but leaving the child in the Bahamas might have been a strategic decision in the paternity suit. If the kid were in the US, the other father might have tried to have the child protective services take custody of the child until the issue is settled -- or at least the paternity test was performed.

Posted by: ep | February 9, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

doesn't anyone else out there think howard k. stern might just have had something to do with these two drug-induced deaths?? he stands to gain a lot...

Posted by: acm | February 9, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Note to Liz: I had to miss the chat yesterday, and now the link for yesterday's Celebritology chat isn't working -- it takes me to what looks like the Live Online home page. Help! I was really looking forward to reading it!

Posted by: ric | February 9, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

acm: it's fishy, fishy, fishy. even w/out the legal wedding, stern stands to have control of big bucks if he is determined to be the baby's daddy. and he has the smarts to prosecute the claims to the marshall estate.

definitely fishy.

Posted by: melovesaconspiracy | February 9, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

melovesaconspiracy:
he's no slouch of a lawyer, slime and all. i am quite sure he's been astute enough to have a will drawn up with her signature on it. she's been half comatose for so long, she wouldn't know what she was or wasn't signing...

plus, it's very fun to think of all the wickedness.

Posted by: acm | February 9, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Ric -- the chat is now working and readable, such as it is:

Posted by: Liz | February 9, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband now all of a sudden is saying HE is the baby's father? Good grief, this story keeps getting more bizarre by the minute.

Posted by: ShoreMom | February 9, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Not only that he's the dad, but they were having an affair and he planned to adopt her?? That's...kinda very creepy in my book.

Posted by: David | February 9, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Did I read that first link correctly. Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband is now claiming that he may be the baby's father. Stop the insanity. I've never heard of this many men claiming to have fathered a child. That poor little girl, hopefully she ends up with a caring family.

Posted by: caroldc | February 9, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I think Madonna should adopt the baby. Seriously. But then I think she should get the Spederline kids, too.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 9, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Anna's life was sad. I think it was hard being her. I don't really like celebrities, especially ones who are famous for being famous, but this has sadden me. I think she just died from grief over the loss of her son, rather drug induced or not. Her son seemed to be the only one who truly loved her and she lost that. What a tragic life.

Posted by: rp | February 9, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it nice that we have such a varied assortment of mixed-up celebrities in the lime/lemonlight that we can anonymously comment on without ourselves being pestered and paparazzi-ed every public moment of our lives? We don't need to be jealous of all this media attention(and criticism they so just deserve), do we? Pass the popcorn, please.

Posted by: lizbeth | February 9, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Zsa Zsa's husband says the kid is his. I guess it was open season at the Anna Nichole Cavern.

Posted by: Hello down there | February 9, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

You know, I think you mean-spirited people are depressing.

Posted by: not bluto | February 9, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

"You know, I think you mean-spirited people are depressing."

Well, Anna Nichole has some anti-depressants that she no longer needs......

Posted by: Meannie-bo-beannie | February 9, 2007 8:32 PM | Report abuse

I cannot believe that no one sees the obvious in Anna Nicole's death.

Five months ago, her son died of an overdose involving methadone and antidepressants. Now Anna Nicole OD's from the same lethal combination. There isan infant heiress involved with a contested legacy and her two closest relatives are dead.
They were murdered ,you idiots.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 12, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse