Posted at 8:24 AM ET, 03/16/2007

Morning Mix: Simon Cowell Says He's Bigger Than Springsteen

By Liz Kelly

Gerard Butler arrives at the London premiere of '300'. (AP)

Headlines: Simon Cowell says he's bigger than Bruce Springsteen... Angelina Jolie says she plans to focus on being a mom... Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband sues Bill O'Reilly for calling Anna Nicole Smith baby claim a fake... Smith's mother seeking guardianship of baby Dannielynn (but what's all this about a native American love child?)... Heather Mills (who has been accused of crying wolf) says she'll always love Paul McCartney... Officials worried Elton John will gay-ify Tobago... Cate Blanchett signs on to Indiana Jones sequel... Bogus Wikipedia update falsely reports Sinbad's death... Regis Philbin recovering after heart surgery... Video: Carmen Electra eats a little runway... Star Jones Reynolds (who is suddenly everywhere ahead of her new Court TV show debut) says the only Viewette she keeps in touch with is Elizabeth Hasselbeck... Tonya Harding blames asthma medication for erratic behavior... Nikki Sixx says Christopher Walken won't play Ozzy in Motley Crue biopic.

Rumor Mill: Lindsay Lohan makes up for lost time... Nicole Richie and Joel Madden engaged?... Lisa Kudrow may join cast of "Grey's Anatomy" spinoff... Publisher pulls plug on nanny's Madonna tell-all book.

By Liz Kelly  | March 16, 2007; 8:24 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lost Analysis: If You Don't Know Claire By Now...
Next: Posh Spice: Hot or Not?

Comments

the best part of that carmen electra video is the other chick who almost falls right on top of her!! haha. max factor needs to stop waxing those runways...amazing. thanks for that one Liz.

Posted by: slipping models | March 16, 2007 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Never mind gayifying (is that even a word?) Tobago (or that?), what the heck is EJ doing at a JAZZ festival?

Posted by: byoolin | March 16, 2007 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want Christopher Walken playing Ozzy, as much as I love both.

Something about watching him snort a line of fire ants and lapping up dog piss off the ground would just destroy that Walken mystique.

Posted by: Pompous Magnus | March 16, 2007 8:27 AM | Report abuse

The Sun story about Sir Elton includes a link to another story entitled "Are you a rear admiral, Elton?" which features (a) that sophisticated English wit in the headline, and (b) a great picture of him dressed like General Pinochet.

Posted by: byoolin | March 16, 2007 8:27 AM | Report abuse

It's hard to explain, but I love that Carmen took a spill. She's been so freakishly plastic over the past several years that it makes her seem human again. The look of sheepishness that she has after she's gotten back up is darling.

Posted by: 23112 | March 16, 2007 8:29 AM | Report abuse

OMG, who is Gerard Butler? Why did anyone say how damn hot! he is?

"300' is not my type of movie, plus the lead character has a beard (don't like men with beards). What other movies was he in?

This man is hotter than "nuclear fission." The Iranians should forget the bomb and get Gerard Butler DNA. With of army of Gerard Butler Clones you can control the world.

Posted by: Lisa1 | March 16, 2007 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Amen Lisa1! I am glad it was not just me who saw that picture and had a little shiver.

Posted by: melissa | March 16, 2007 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Gay-ifying Tobago. Please, give me a break. That Archdeacon should go to "Sunday School" on Buccoo beach and he'd be worried about a lot more than Elton John.
(Sunday School is a big party where a bunch of middle-aged foreign ladies "get their groove back" with the local lads.)

Posted by: Barb | March 16, 2007 8:46 AM | Report abuse

what happened to star jones?! she got a major makeover to the point that she looks like jennifer grey! or like jennifer grey did after her nose job. i know she did the gastric bypass thing, but heavens. that must be some bustier/corset under that shirt.

Posted by: methinks | March 16, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

The Indian love child is a hoax. That paper is known for their April Fools pranks, but this one came early.

Posted by: C. | March 16, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I actually signed in to comment, just so I could thank Liz for that early morning shiver when I saw the picture of Gerard Butler. Thanks Liz!

Lisa1, you can get lots more of that in a sweet little underadvertised movie called Dear Frankie. It came out two years ago or so, and there was actually a teensy bit of Oscar buzz for Emily Mortimer. GB plays "the Stranger". Hot.

He also plays Lara Croft's sex interest in the second Tomb Raider movie. There's nothing good about that movie except GB. He takes his shirt off a lot.

Posted by: WDC | March 16, 2007 9:43 AM | Report abuse

You know, I saw that thing on Simon Cowell and nearly spit tea all over my monitor.

I think somewhere along the line Simon has forgotten he is not actually a recording artist himself.

But then again, he probably would have passed on Bruce. Too scruffy, not enough emotional, wavering sustained notes there...

Posted by: Chasmosaur | March 16, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I laugh at this comment from Star: "I sometimes get e-mails from Elisabeth Hasselbeck, but that's because we had a very personal relationship."

Being the two most hated by baba wawa probably does a lot to cement a friendship. I'd love to see some of the email traffic between those two since Rosie landed there.

Posted by: 23112 | March 16, 2007 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Gerard Butler was also the Phantom in the Phantom of the Opera opposite Emmy Rossum, and does all his own singing..it's not Michael Crawford, but he still holds his own, and is so hot in the process! :)

Posted by: To: Lisa1 | March 16, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Liz - a follow up from yesterday's discussion which I missed.

Someone commented on that Garrison Keillor piece. As a NYC/DC raised girl who moved to an exurb of the Twin Cities I wanted to offer an observation (not a defense - I agree, he was a bit smarmy in that piece).

My little exurb is 95% Caucasian. The Twin Cities (which is pretty much where GK is from) is a little bit more integrated at 67% Caucasian. The DC and NYC areas are about 30% Caucasian.

We do have a huge Hmong (Laotian) community and scattered small Latino and African American communities. That's about it. "Ethnic Diversity" is not exactly a watchword around these parts.

For example, one local restauranteur is opening a tapas place, which has my husband and I downright giddy. But every time I talk to someone about it, the immediate response is "Topless? Why a topless place?" I then correct them, and they sound confused about why you would want tapas, when for $12 you can pretty much get half a cow with a mound of deep-fried cheese curds. (Note - the Cities have great food, it's just Western Wisconsin with the artery clogging palate.)

The thing that surprised me most about that I've met plenty of gay couples out here. Flamboyant is hardly the word that springs to mind when I think of any of them. Most of them have moved here from either coast because there's a heavy live-and-let-live vibe (probably because there's a ton of space). As long as you shovel your sidewalks in the snow and don't trash the Packers and/or Brett Favre, people don't actively judge you.

Then again, with a good vocabulary and the talking speed of a NYC citizen, I am looked at as crazy and intimidating (or Australian, which puzzles me to no end). If you vary from the norm around here, that's flamboyant, I guess.

Heart of the Midwest. It's a different world.

Posted by: Chasmosaur | March 16, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I read your headline that "Simon Cowell says he's bigger than Bruce Springsteen" and was confused about who HE was.* I thought you'd left out someone else's name. Simon actually thinks he's bigger than Springsteen? The only thing on Simon's that's bigger than Springsteen's is his empty head.

*My confusion is understandable since I was very distracted by the pic of uber hot Gerry Butler. Thank you, Liz!

Posted by: sen | March 16, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and as for Gerard Butler...obviously none of you have husbands with a History Channel obsession.

If they rerun "Attila" watch it. Normally I just sort of phase out this stuff, but I watched purely because GB is so freakin' hot.

Posted by: Chasmosaur | March 16, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Lisa1, you ask who is Gerard Butler? He actually has been making movies since 1997. His first movie role was as Billy Connolly's brother in "Mrs. Brown". Since then he has starred in several made for TV (both USA and British) movies such as "Attila" and "The Jury," in which he gave a masterful performance.

He was the Phantom in "Phantom of the Opera" (yes, he also sings), co-starred with Angelina Jolie in "Tombraider 2" and gave a beautifully nuanced performance in "Dear Frankie".

My recommendation is that you rent "The Jury" and "Dear Frankie" to see what a great actor he is. Yes, he is gorgeous but he also is very intelligent (trained as a lawyer) and has a great sense of humor.

If you want more info about him, I would suggest you visit www.gerardbutler.net (over 10,000 fans and counting).

Posted by: Amy V. | March 16, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Oh my a Gerard Butler website. There goes my work and free time. He is indeed nuclear fission in human form. I did read somewhere that he was a barrister.

Thanks Liz, the is just the thing you want to see before starting the weekend.

Posted by: petal | March 16, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

That video was so satisfying. I needed that after a very wet lunch where my phone just about got run over by a truck. Thank you thank you thank you for posting that!

Posted by: Mama | March 16, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Thank God Regis Philbin is okay. He is one of the nicest people around.

Posted by: Fan | March 16, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Whoo hoo! Thank you Liz. That's from the London premiere?

It is an inarguable fact - Gerry Butler is the most beautiful man on the planet. End of discussion.

Crash-course in Gerry:

He is quite the rascal, but with the heart of a teddy bear. He once said that if you party too much in L.A. it "takes away your goodness". He brought his mom to a premiere and he clearly dotes on her. He also said: "I appreciate and love women for many reasons. Tall and small, plump and skinny, and crazy and demure - I see beauty in all of them." I bet that Gerry's losing a bit of goodness in the last 2 weeks!...(but to be clear, he does not drink, he keeps trying to quit smoking). He used to be lawyer in Scotland. He has a pug named Lolita.

Those tractor beam eyes. He's even more gorgeous now than when he was 20.

And yes, there are several - at least 4 - highly developed fan sites for Gerry (in English - many in other languages as well). Gerry (and/or his team) communicate with the admins of each of the 4 sites - he shows up at their functions upon occasion. Many of the regulars at these sites have met him. In fact, the admins got tickets to the L.A. 300 premiere and he took a picture with them there.

I rue the first day I found out who Gerry Butler was - when I saw the video of him at Comic Con last year. Ugh - I wish I knew how to quit him!

Gerry should have been Bond. He would make a great Indiana Jones.

He has seemingly had a girlfriend for about the past 2 years - on again, off again. She is a model but no one seems to know very much about her. It appears to currently be in "off" mode. She was at the LA 300 premiere but apparently they were not there together. I thought Gerry was there with Rosario. He doesn't disclose anything about girlfriends in interviews, although lately he has stated that he is single. He seems to go to a lot of fashion shows...

I thought he was great in Reign of Fire.

Posted by: JustAGirl | March 17, 2007 2:27 AM | Report abuse

If you want to hear some really beatiful singing by Gerry, use The Google to search The Internets and find the video of him singing "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" which I like much better than anything in POTO.

Posted by: JustAGirl | March 17, 2007 2:33 AM | Report abuse

Zsa Zsz Gabor's husband is a joke. What sort of Prince is he? Prince Frederic Von Anhalt sounds like a maker upper to me. He marries old, old women that claims to be and adulterer and is proud of it. What a loser!

Posted by: Suzy | March 17, 2007 11:19 PM | Report abuse

That Simon is sooooooo funny!

Posted by: Jay | March 19, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse