Posted at 10:30 AM ET, 03/16/2007

Posh Spice: Hot or Not?

By Liz Kelly

Her Poshness. (Getty Images)

This Friday we take a break from lists to continue a dissection of Hortense the Pointy-Faced Girl, aka Posh Spice, whose hotness quotient arose as the subject of casual debate in yesterday's Celebritology Live discussion.

To quickly recap: After I characterized Posh as rat-like, one reader described Mrs. Beckham as a "hot robot," by which I suppose we're meant to draw parallels to "Cherry 2000," not this guy. From that point, the conversation seemed to neatly divide down gender lines, with women taking my view -- that she's eminently fug-worthy -- while the male portion of the audience (who I now envision as a faceless horde of underwear-clad La-Z-Boy jockeys*) seemed to consider her big time fantasy material.

A disclaimer is in order: I'm not usually one to get into the hot-or-not debate, but this case is allowable, in that it provides an interesting opportunity for the study of gender differences. While we assume men tend to concentrate on the overtly physical attributes when gauging attractiveness, I have a hard time seeing Posh alongside Pamela Anderson in the pin-up hall of fame -- so what's the draw? At the same time, I'm interested in hearing what makes her distasteful to other women.

Which brings us to the point, at last: Does Posh Spice's hotness quotient rise or fall depending on the amount of estrogen or testosterone behind the eyes of the beholder? Take today's poll, then share your thoughts in the comment section. And let's open this conversation up a little: what other stars -- male or female -- highlight a gender-based taste difference?

Poll: Men Only | Women Only

Here's a little food for thought:

Says one anonymous chatter: "A lot of women don't like her because she's had serious plastic surgery, weighs 95 lbs. and is married to David Beckham -- but that's why men love her!"

Says a female friend: "Beautiful eyes, but they're embedded in a head that is now WAY too big for her body. She's gotten so thin -- and for that matter, unhappy looking -- that be the very definition she's a Glamour Don't."

Says Gene Weingarten, atypical male: "She looks stupid. I have now looked at 15 photos of her, and there is not one that offers even a slight suggestion of intelligence or juice. She's got that pouty thing going on. I HATE that pouty thing. Pouty and sultry turn me off, big time. They are signs of phoniness."

(*Guys, you know I kid. I know you're not all sprawled on recliners, game console in one hand, cheese doodles in the other. I just couldn't resist the imagery.)

By Liz Kelly  | March 16, 2007; 10:30 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Miscellaneous
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Simon Cowell Says He's Bigger Than Springsteen
Next: Morning Mix: Jacko Registers as Woman at Hotel?

Comments

She and Angelina Jolie both look plastic. Not Hot.

I'd take Jennifer Aniston, Alicia Keys, or Kate Winslet over them any day.

Posted by: Pompous Magnus | March 16, 2007 9:34 AM | Report abuse

She looked good in her Spice days. Since become Mrs. Beckham she is scary thin = unattractive

Posted by: Venicemenace | March 16, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I think Posh is not attractive and here's why...she's toooooooo thin, and then has these globes strategically place on her chest. Her boob job looks ridiculous. Her face is too big for her body,[ which is something I noticed about Farah Fawcett when I was at the ESPY awards one year. I just happened to be in the bathroom when she was stumbling her way out. I think it was because her head was too big. Then Marg Helgenberger came in--now she's hot. But again with the big head and the tiny body?? ] But I digress...
Has the woman ever, EVER been photographed smiling? She has two children, is married to David "Mr. Glass but Yummy" Beckham and is riche, riche, riche and looks MISERABLE. I guess I'll just be happy with my curvy self, three kids and sturdy but yummy middle class husband. At least I smile in my photos.

Posted by: methinks | March 16, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

It isn't the fact that she's skin and bones or her leathery, unnaturally orange skin. It's that she's so nouveau riche, trying too hard, mob boss girlfriend who equates flashy, expensive clothes for genuine good looks and style. Like an EastEnders refugee with a nice haircut. 'Common,' I believe the British would say.

Posted by: tamerlane | March 16, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Vapid stare aside, I think Posh just looks too synthetic. Sure, she's pretty, but her look is totally generic -- the best that money can buy, but I just don't find it interesting or unique -- she seems like the idea of a beautiful woman rather than a beautiful woman. For me, this means that she's not beautiful, or even particularly sexy, just another needs-to-eat-a-sandwich member of the Plastic People's Party (PPP).

Posted by: Rita | March 16, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

A friend of mine was just in the UK and saw a picture of Posh in one of the tabloids. Apparently she had been caught unaware and was actually smiling in the picture. My friend (who is a girl) said she looked quite pretty in the picture. Otherwise, we both think she's just scary looking. Oh, and neither of us are fond of Beck's voice. He should just stand there and look pretty.

Posted by: Whatnot | March 16, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I think she's stylish, and she has the body that a lot of clothes are made for--but while I would probably allow that she's pretty in an alien kind of way, I don't really see "hot." I've never seen her look happy, or friendly, or warm, or laughing, or cheerful, and that would seem to portend a pretty unpleasant bedroom experience. Like Gene said, she just looks like she's boring.

Posted by: Sheila | March 16, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

yikes. NOT. she never smiles...she'd be a great caricature of herself in a christopher best movie.

Posted by: acm | March 16, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

She was really quite attractive in the early days of Spicegirldom, easily the best of the lot, but it just didn't carry through. She got thinner and thinner and dropped the "posh" affectation for what was supposed to be cutting edge Euro or something, but it never worked. Now, Baby Spice, whose real name is Emma Bunton, she went from cutesy to OMG in the past few years. Some of the photos of her in the past couple of years are stunning.

Posted by: 23112 | March 16, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Just from looking at the picture above, she looks like a woman who believes that because she is rich and spends $$$$ on her appearence, she is hot.

Not so - to me she just looks average - and really she looks like a couple of milkshakes wouldn't hurt.

Posted by: MB | March 16, 2007 10:04 AM | Report abuse

There are lots more fug woman than her in hollywood. Maggie Gllynahal for one.

If she would just crack a smile now and then she might not be that bad.

Yes, her husband's voice sounds silly too.

Posted by: Irish chick | March 16, 2007 10:04 AM | Report abuse

If women would stop judging by photo and read, ....yes, I said READ.....some of Victoria's interviews, they might find they like her.

Posted by: Bridget | March 16, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Well, I'm a gay woman, and I think Posh is rat-like. And she really, really, really needs a cookie.

Posted by: Deanna | March 16, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Skeletal, hollow (in every sense), unnaturally brown and always seems to be trying *way* too hard to be all these things. She should've been Scary Spice.

Posted by: polyester | March 16, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

This thread, incidentally, made me go over to IMDB and look up the entry for "Spice World." I was perusing the quotes section, and I had forgotten how funny that movie really was. Very slapsticky, very barbed dialogue...it's worth a rent.

Posted by: 23112 | March 16, 2007 10:13 AM | Report abuse

bridget, you have got to be kidding. posh spice beckham can't tell me anything about herself that i can't 'read' in her photos. a picture (or thousands of them in her case) is worth a thousand words.

Posted by: methinks | March 16, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

obvious drawback on her hotness quotient: anorexia.

but for some reason, every time I see her in those oversized glasses and that pout, and she's standing "just so" so that I can't tell she's skeletal, I think she looks good.

plus, saying she's hot is a way to stick it to all those "hot" blond celebrities that get a free pass just because they bleach their hair.

Posted by: MALE | March 16, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

deanna--a cookie and some whole milk...and a stick of butter.

Posted by: methinks | March 16, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Just couldn't resist creating a poll, could ya', Liz?

Part of Posh's problem is the new improved Skeletor look she's settled into. It's just really, really unattractive -- on anyone. And that goes for all the way-too-thin celebritards out there (Richie, Lohan & Bosworth -- I'm looking at you). Part of Posh's appeal is the fact that, let's face it, she was the hottest Spice Girl. And guys who were adolescent boys way back when still think of her in those terms. Basically, she's rocking the nostalgia vote among guys.

As for celebrities that illustrate the divide between men & women, how about:

Jennifer Love Hewitt: Men love her, women almost universally revile her (but not for her beauty -- more like women just presume she's vapid).

That's all I got.

Posted by: VoR | March 16, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

She used to be beautiful. But, she's done something, I don't know what, and she's not anymore. She looks like you said, "rat like".

Posted by: Female | March 16, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Actually Liz I ran out of cheese doodles.

Can I borrow some of your bon-bons?

Posted by: SoMD | March 16, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I agree, she looked better back in the Spicegirl days with an extra 10-15 pounds on her. She's just skeletal now. And if I recall correctly (maybe she's had this fixed), I saw a picture of her back then, not exactly smiling, but with her teeth exposed & woah, what they say about british teeth is true.

I would be willing to bet that the reason a lot of men find her hot is that a) she's skinny skinny skinny (b/c isn't that what's attractive these days??) & b) she's got that attitude. We all want what we can't have, and she has a HUGE amount of that unattainable vibe. Give her a smile, remove the sunglasses & put her in some sweats (not Juicy Coutoure) & I'd be willing to bet she'd lose a bit of that hotness.

Posted by: Different Liz | March 16, 2007 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I remember reading an interview with Posh (back in her Spice Girl days) where she explained that she simply will not smile for photographs because she thinks she looks ugly when she smiles. I'm not sure if this proves a) that even the most conventionally beautiful women still have self-esteem issues or b) that she is just as stuck-up and self-obsessed as we think she is.

Posted by: Emmie | March 16, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I am a woman, and I actually think she's attractive. I've seen interviews with them as a couple (there's a hilarious on on YouTube of them on the Ali G show--talks a bit about sex and things, so don't do it at work) and when she is not strutting her pouty face for the paparazzi she is quite pretty. And if you watch her at soccer games (where she is with the other ridiculously attractive wives), again, when she's not strutting for cameras, she is pretty there too. I think you need to put her in context and realize that she is half of the hottest couple in other parts of the world. She has an "image" that is her brand, and that image is pouty for the cameras. But, if you see her in settings outside of that, she's quite gorgeous.

Posted by: kate | March 16, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

She looks like a skeleton with boobs and a wig.

Also, she always has that look of, "I am way too cool for all of you." I didn't care for her as a Spice Girl either for the same reasons.

Oh and another person I don't like (if we're still doing the gender based difference thing) is Denise Richards. I don't know what it is about her face that drives me nuts but it does. Some of my friends say it's her eyebrows but I can't figure it out. My boyfriend loves her but I think it's just because of the movie "Wild Things."
PS - I did love love love her in "Drop Dead Gorgeous" though; I just don't want to have to look at her.

Posted by: Melinda | March 16, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Here are some pictures of her smiling.

Posted by: Irish chick | March 16, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Of course she is hot, just like a Big Mac is tasty. Get it? For the record, GW is a fine commentor on the issues of gender as a subject, but his opinions are decidedly peculiar to his individual and demographice traits. More specifically, his specific opinions about specific things are generally just wrong.

Posted by: MS | March 16, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Another good illustration of the gender divide:

Gwen Stefani v. Fergie

In an admittedly unscientific sampling, most men find Fergie much hoter than Gwen, and most women think they're insane. Which would, I suppose, apply in a lot of situations.

Posted by: DC | March 16, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

"I remember reading an interview with Posh (back in her Spice Girl days) where she explained that she simply will not smile for photographs because she thinks she looks ugly when she smiles."

Oh yeah, I remember that too! There's also a reason that she barely ever sang solos...not much of a singer, and probably the weakest dancer. Of course, those little Gucci dresses they always slid her into didn't help.

Posted by: 23112 | March 16, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

there you go posh, smile purty for the camera. that wasn't so difficult was it?thanks for the pics, irish chick.

Posted by: methinks | March 16, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

i'd put posh ahead of sporty spice but behind scary spice, and well behind baby spice -- emma's my fave, though i haven't seen any recents pics of her (i'm a straight male, btw)

Posted by: bob | March 16, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I'm a woman and I think she's cute. Yes, she could stand to gain a few pounds, and her boob job is...interesting. However, she has a pretty face, and in the few interviews that I've seem of her, seems to be engaging and charming. And unlike some of the other wanna-be starlets out there, she has her own signature style and isn't trying to be something she's not (*ahem* Kate Bosworth *ahem*)

Posted by: Hi | March 16, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

she's fug. even in her spice girl days, i found her fug. i believe there was another interview, in addition to the no smiling/singing/dancing revelations that she was also anorexic then. as in when she was 10-15 pounds heavier/more muscular than she is now. o, and before she popped out all of those beckham kids. i personally don't like her b/c i think she's one of those famous-for-being-famous types. no talent, all-plastic. and she looks like any part of her could seriously puncture you in she turned quickly

Posted by: cee_jay | March 16, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Denise Richards- kewpie doll wearing twin caterpillers on her forehead. I mean, she married Charlie Sheen- how smart can she be? Mrs. Beckham definitely is pushing for rodent status. As for `Spice World`, I can`t say better than to quote film critic extraordinaire Mr. Cranky, who summed up his reaction to the film very succinctly- `No f******g way!`

Posted by: un homme | March 16, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone remember when Posh was on The Daily Show, and Jon Stewart somehow offended her? I can't remember exactly what was said, but it seems to me that she misunderstood him and got huffy, and he went on to make fun of her huffiness to her face, just increasing her anger, and she ended up looking really stupid. Well, I guess she started out looking just regular-stupid...
ANYhoo, I have always had a soft spot for her. For reals, y'all! I think that if I were lucky enough to be plucked from the slums and turned into and "icon" for Girl Power, and then the stars aligned and allowed me to meet and land the cutest boy on the team, and along the way I amassed a giHUGEant fortune and birthed two cute little boys, yeah I'd prolly get 2 melons injected into my chest, all the fat sucked out of my body, and fill my closet with the prettiest frocks. I just think I'd also bring some Angelina to the mix and try to do more for the underprivileged, is all. If I have anything against Posh, it's that she doesn't seem to remember where she came from -- or maybe that's really why she hardly smiles?

Posted by: miss belle | March 16, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Between Britney, Lohan, Paris, and Posh, I'm starting to wonder if the current generation of Hollywood idols belong in a John Carpenter movie? Perhaps we can have the return of Snake Plisskin as he attempts to "Escape from Hollywood" as glass-eyed, vapid celebritards block his escape?

Posh was replaced with a Stepford Wive android sometime between "Spiceworld" and becoming Mrs. Beckham. It's a shame David didn't go for luxury model (130lbs, 100 IQ)

Posted by: Ken | March 16, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

she just always looks like such a sourpuss.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 16, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Nasty, just nasty. I have tree rats, (squirrels), running around my yard with a much better looking tail than she's got. And what happened, too much botox to manage a smile?

Posted by: zoober | March 16, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Fergie? She's a drunken skank. Men really think she's hotter than Gwen Stefani? Ugh.

Re Jennifer Love Hewitt. I don't think she's exceptionally good looking or anything, but I don't dislike her, either. Actually, she seems kinda sweet. When I see her on Leno, she seems a little goofy, but nice.

Posted by: sen | March 16, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

From a male: Spicy is not hot. Between the extreme tan and the emaciation, she's starting to look like the neighbor lady from "There's Something About Mary."

Posted by: Brett | March 16, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

She looks okay but the vibe I get from her is cold-- as though fame and celebrity is her entire world. I doubt I'd enjoy meeting her in person.
Coming to the US may be a very rude wake-up call. I don't think she'll be nearly as famous or popular here as she was in the UK.

Posted by: DB | March 16, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

She definitely has HOT potential, if she put on a pound (or 10). So I answered average (I'm female)

Posted by: mfd | March 16, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I can see why guys find her hot--she looks like a complete B*tch. That and her wealth will certainly make her fantasy material for a certain type of manboy.

Posted by: Terri | March 16, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

NOT hot and definitely rat-like. That being said, however, I actually feel sorry for her. I remember her earlier comments about how she won't smile because she thinks she looks ugly when she smiles. Most of us here think she'd look a whole helluva lot *better* if she'd just smile a little. That, coupled with her severe thinness, seem to indicate that she really is suffering from some body dysmorphic disorder, possibly anorexia. Let's remember people that this is a serious mental illness. All the money, fame, hot husbands, cute kids, and pretty frocks in the world won't make her feel better if she is mentally ill. She needs help. And hey guys, stop holding up unnaturally thin women as "hot"--it's not helping!

Posted by: Blue | March 16, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I like Posh (actually I like her husband and half her wardrobe). She waaaay too thin and her boob job is sooo fake and unnatural (who was her surgeon?), and has a very snotty attitude, but she is very devoted to her kids and husband. Plus, She called Naomi Campbell a cow ( I met Naomi Campbell and Posh is so right about that)

Posted by: Lisa1 | March 16, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Chick vote here. I don't think she's hot, but I do find her fashionable. As in, she would totally win America's Next Top Model.

Posted by: Hola | March 16, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Touche, SoMd. Nicely done.

Posted by: Liz | March 16, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

America's Next Top Model ("I know, right?!") -- How awesome would it be to have Posh as a permanent judge next cycle?

"Her eyes are dead."
"She has no neck."
"She's A COW!"

Posted by: miss belle | March 16, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

It's not cheese doodles that we have in our other hand.

Posted by: John | March 16, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

If I had her dough, I'd have found a better plastic surgeon--her implants are ridiculously too big on her skinny frame. No waist, no hips, either. What did she look like before, that she thinks this is such an improvement? Sometimes I think that some beauty standards are about making women look less like real people you'd actually want to make whoopee with and more like exhibits from some weird science museum. Her husband, on the other hand, is quite gorgeous--until he opens his mouth, anyway.

Posted by: MillaP | March 16, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Thin. Haughty. Nice spherical jugs. Hot.

Posted by: Stick | March 16, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to get flambéd for this, but I don't think Gwen is any more attractive than Posh was back in her day. Gwen has always been too stick-skinny and aggravatingly punk for me, although at least her 1930s hairstyles were interesting. Fergie is fugly, too...I'm not sure what guys are lusting for her, but I've seen her with freshly peed pants and holy ick. Anyway, I don't know many guys who think the "needs a sandwich" look is superior to a good set of curves (like Jessica Biel's at the whatever awards a month or two ago), but *someone* has done a good job of selling skinny to the Hollyweirdos.

Posted by: 23112 | March 16, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I don't remember where you had it, but at one point you showed a picture of her in what had to be her Spice Girls days.

Her face didn't look skeletal and she had a bit of a smile on her face. She looked lovely and radiant and young, possibly a little skinny (it was just a head shot). So the material is there.

Now I think someone needs to take her aside and explain that she is no longer Posh Spice. Because even though the fashion industry dictates that "posh" is now skeletal, this doesn't mean she needs to keep up her "Posh" appearance. She's a married lady with several kids - a few pounds aren't going to affect her income level.

Eat a sandwich. Smile. And lay off the fake tans - you're an English girl. We expect peaches and cream complexions!

Posted by: Chasmosaur | March 16, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I'm a straight girl and I vote:

Not hot! Liz is right, she's very rat-like. In fact she looks like a starving rat. Look at her hips in that picture, they are so thin, they stick out and look really pointy!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 16, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I think she looks like the ideal Italian upper-class lady. I lived there and we thought they looked as if they were wearing a layer of shellac (SP?) as in a decoupage purse. The whole idea is to look fake. The smoothed out, brittle, artificial, high-maintenance look means you are "posh". Doesn't mean you can do anything in the bedroom, or that you'd even ever want to. It's all about teasing.
Also, have you seen Silvio Berlesconi's wife? Her lips are like, a hotdog bun on her face.

Posted by: Barb | March 16, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I think she used to be hot, back in the day, but once she started cultivating the "under 100 lbs" look she lost just about all of her attractiveness.

But it would seem that there are men out there who appreciate this skin & bones looks. And the possible boob job doesn't hurt. Sadly, breasts can often go a long way in distracting us men from reality.

Posted by: voteprime | March 16, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

23112: Agree with you on Fergie. Her face is kind of...masculine. It's hard to put my finger on, but she really gives me the creeps.

Posted by: tamerlane | March 16, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I decided to check with my husband to get the male perspective. His take:

"It depends. She used to be hot in her Posh Spice days. I had a massive crush on her then. Now she is too thin, 'rat-like' and plastic. Not Hot."

Posted by: Colleen | March 16, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posh -- at least she is not in the tabloids for forgetting her undies and her kids.

Denise Richards -- Not pretty and thought the best way to keep a guy not known for his faithfulness was to be always pregnant. Then goes and does it again with another guy -- her best friend's ex.

Posted by: ep | March 16, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Honestly, she reminds me a bit of young Nancy Regan

Posted by: ckf | March 16, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

She's a living, breathing Bratz doll.

Nuff said.

Posted by: Bored @ work | March 16, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

(Male)
I'd like to post an addendum to my "Easy on the Eyes" vote. Posh is WAY too skinny. And that's extremely unattractive and in most pictures I see of her, I'd have to vote "Rat-like, like Liz says." Still, in some pictures, she's quite the looker. I guess I give her extra points because I think, more times than not, she is very well put together, unlike some media darlings who often are caught on the red carpet/wherever looking like the Geico caveman dressed them.

Posted by: E | March 16, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Well isn't this part of the problem Liz talks about re: Kate Winslet? We have this culture that does not portray/diefy a diverse range of women -- we mostly stick to the plastic kind. Great article about this in the current issue of a ceratain women's magazine whose title rhymes with "Witch"...you know the one..."a feminist response to pop culture"?

Posted by: Rita | March 16, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

As a woman, I think she's hot for a couple of reasons:
1. I love her very British, edgy fashion sense. She's willing to take risks and goes for high drama, not the safe Hollywood "uniform" a la Vanilla Anniston.
2. She has lovely carriage and poise.
3. She married to Becks! And they appear to be a very strong family.
4. She's held up very well under intense scrutiny from paparazzi and media - no breakdowns, no excessive partying, no throwing of cellphones.

I don't mind her haughtiness (aka not smiling or chattering on press lines). It seems to be the perfect way of dodging highly annoying types like Seacrest and Bush.

Yes, she is too skinny and I'd like to see about 15 lbs. I think this would help make her "work" appear more natural as well.

Posted by: vjl | March 16, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Victoria Beckham, while not wildly beautiful, does improve her looks by choosing sophisticated and (largely) tasteful couture and having a hair style that suits her bone structure. It makes a big difference.

Posted by: Minneapolis | March 16, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

posh is 'corner of the eye' hot: she induces a quick turn of the head for a better look...then disappoints. I used to call this the 'Scud' factor. A 'skeleton with boobs and a wig' would induce the same response in most men. its a built-in response to certain visual stimuli.

she's sort of a walking cubistic represention of the female form

Posted by: osulliva | March 16, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

(female)

She's Not Hot now, but she was gorgeous in the photos that Irish Chick linked to - when she was a little more filled out and less lacquered. I think those were dated in the mid-1990s, though, and she looks like an entirely different person.

Another woman who men and women disagree about: Alyssa Milano. All my guy friends think she's hot; all my girl friends think she's totally not hot.

Also Angelina Jolie, which is opposite - my girl friends think she's hot, but the guys are a little intimidated.

Posted by: LaLa | March 16, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I like to give credit where it is due but regarding Posh Spice-Beckham I've got to scratch my head as to why any man would find her hot in any way. I wouldn't even give her pretty status. Take the photo above as an example the dress falls down in a straight line with the exception of the hip bone jutting out.

Not to slam the chick but seriously she needs more than a cookie, she needs the entire darn bakery, stat.

And for the love what is up with her lips always being open as if she's going to say something. Is it possible that the money makes her more attractive to guys?

Posted by: petal | March 16, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Female here. Posh amuses me greatly, but I do not find her attractive or chic in any way. Too tan, too skinny, too head-to-toe expensive designer-y - in short, incredibly trashy. See also: Donatella Versace.

I think we need some British input. What's the whole 'chav' thing again? Isn't she supposed to exemplify that??

Posted by: College Park | March 16, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Are we being teased with an upcoming Chatological Humor appearance?

Posted by: Virtual Panty | March 16, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

john, you naughty boy

Posted by: methinks | March 16, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

in that pic, her right boob looks noticeably bigger than her left.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 16, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

There's a wax sculpture of her and her husband, and the statue is more lifelike than she is.

Posted by: Ed | March 16, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

We need seventeen ccs of cream. STAT. And a healthy serving of beef Wellington.

Posted by: DoctorFood | March 16, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

To E: "Hey, that comment is uncalled for. We've only recently gotten into fashion"

Posted by: Geico Caveman | March 16, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

College Park reminded me of something. Does anyone else think Donatella Versace looks like one of the muppets? The purple one with the braids. Can't remember the name right now but that muppet and Donatella were separated at birth.

Posted by: petal | March 16, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Neither Posh Spice nor Pamela Anderson does anything for me. Posh is a stick figure that looks as if she would break apart of you climbed on top of her and did her . . . Pam Anderson -- and any woman with grotesque silicon bags for breasts -- likewise doesn't do it for me. If you've ever felt up, mouthed over or otherwise done to a pair of silicon breasts what you do with natural ones, you never really want to deal with those concrete bags of fake breasts again. Give me a woman with soft real curves -- not a stick thin 13 year old boy look -- and the breasts she was born with.

Posted by: Colorado Kool Aid | March 16, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

She looks like a rat, AND she was very snotty to Jon Stewart. So maybe Tom Shales would like to go out with her, but I find her hideous inside and out.

Posted by: Sam888 | March 16, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

The word we like to use in our house is 'praying mantis'

Other praying mantis celebs include:

Laura Flynn Boyle
Angie Harmon
Terri Hatcher
Sandra Lee (train-wreck Food Network show *and* she's the antichrist)

and queen of the mantises...Celine Dion

Posted by: Zizzy | March 16, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

So many comments about someone who is who again?

That said I'll put in my $.02. My only "experience" with Ms. Beckham is from watching the end of Bend it like Beckham, during the credits when the cast and crew are singing along to Hot, Hot, Hot. Everyone was having fun with song, but she barely looked human.

Posted by: dym | March 16, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

So Liz imagines all males as couch potatoes who do nothing but sit around in their underwear eating cheeze doodles.

Since she felt compelled to reveal herself as sexist man-hater for no apparent reason (what the hell was that random aside for anyway!?), I guess turnabout is fair play:

After reading this blog and its responses, it seems pretty clear you're all just a bunch of catty, fat ugly chicks seething with jealousy at the very celebrities you obsess over. I mean, you people are aware that Mrs. Beckham is a basically talentless woman who achieved fame and fortune for absolutely nothing except...[wait for it]...being hot, right?

I'll agree that she's too skinny and her fake boobs look ridiculous, but she's also got high cheekbones and striking features that make her very beautiful in a high-fashion kind of way. Which, again, is why she's famous in the first place (and why she's married to an impossibly rich sex symbol). Keep ripping at her like a bunch of cackling hyenas--it ain't gonna make a single one of you cows any prettier.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 16, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey petal, I think you're thinking of the Muppet "Janice."

Posted by: log | March 16, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey dym...those were impersonators at the end of Bend It Like Beckham. Not the real Posh & Becks.

Posted by: 23112 | March 16, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure she's as dumb as she looks, Gene. In fact, I think she's the brains of the marriage, which probably says more about Beckham than anything else. I don't imagine you've seen her interview with Ali G. She cracked me up - and I'm a woman. Not everyone comes off of an interview with one of Sasha's characters looking so good. I give her props.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 16, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I think what is interesting are the results of Liz's poll. Over 950 "women" took the poll while only slightly more than 400 "Men" polled in.

I think Mrs. Beck seems to strike a nerve among women!

Posted by: Guy in DC | March 16, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

1:57 p.m. -- And what exactly was your motivation to spend the time it took to read 84+ comments?

You obviously cannot multitask, and it has made you cranky. Just focus on the basketball game for a while.

Posted by: b | March 16, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

ahhhhh. Janice, that sounds right. Thanks Log.

What a cool blog that I can get the name of one of the muppets. You guys rock!

Posted by: petal | March 16, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Cranky,

I'll have you know I've gotten measurably more attractive since this discussion began.

=`P

Posted by: Terri | March 16, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

This is funny. As a parent of who actually sat through the theatrical release of "Spice World", I thought Posh Spice was average. What was hilarious was reading the women's poll which overhwelmingly described her as rat-like. There's nothing that reveals how good looking a woman is better than letting other women describe her. The better looking she is, the more the other women despise her.

Judging from the women's votes, Posh must be somewhere between "easy on the eyes" and hot.

Posted by: John | March 16, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Thank heavens we women have you insightful men to explain us to ourselves.

Please forgive us for having the poor taste and judgement to think that perhaps we should have something to say about the standards of beauty to which we are held.

Posted by: Terri | March 16, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if some of the men find her attractive because she looks just a teensy weensy bit like a man in drag?
Er, secure in your sexuality, guys?
PS, I am neither ugly nor fat, and once dated a guy that looks like Becks. So there.

Posted by: Barb | March 16, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Anybody else here ever read Susan Faludi's "Backlash" and what it had to say about fashion trends toward emaciated, unhealthy images of women being a consistent reaction to gains by women of real social power?

Or aren't we fat cackling hens expected to read such things?

Posted by: Terri | March 16, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posh was definitely the hottest of the Spice Girls. I will always remember her in one of those videos stomping her very chiseled legs in strappy sandals. Definitely a good-looking woman, but it was always the legs for me. Similar phenomenon to Susanna Hoffs' eye roll in the Bangles' 'Egyptian' video.

Posted by: Buddy L | March 16, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I am going to agree with the cranky guy, at least in part. (I'm the Kate who pointed to teh Ali G interview way earlier and who does think Victoria is attractive--striking even). Part of what many of you don't like about her isn't "her" but the ideal of feminine beauty she represents. She is thin, she does have fake breasts, but she is gorgeous. Why can't you accept that? I don't see any interviews with her telling more "normal" shaped women to go vomit, which is the essence of what all of you telling her to go eat a cookie is. She is who she is, and she is attractive. That this threatens us or makes us wish she wasn't the ideal of a certain kind of feminine beauty is not HER fault. So, if you think the better shape is a curvier one, embrace your curvy shape but give the poor woman a break. (I say this as the curvier sister of a stick thin woman, who gets crap from people who are trying to change years of society by picking on her all the time).

Posted by: Kate | March 16, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Okay Kate - I (male) voted rat-like, mainly from what I've seen and from that TERRIBLE TERRIBLE picture where her (obviously fake) boobs do, in fact, resemble the mellons someone called them earlier. That said, however (and this is a big however), if you go to the Ali G interview she mentions, Posh IS both very cute and trying hard to deal w/ Mr Cohen on his own terms, which are foul and obscene and funny. Beck kind of sits there like a mimbo and ducks the questions, but she is at least trying to give as good as she gets. She fails, of course, but who could beat da Ali G on his own turf?

She does really well and looks much cuter than I'd ever imagined. Facilitating other people's waste of time:

Posted by: Bogota | March 16, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Back in the day....wow, the mid to late 90's are "back in the day" now...she was kinda hot. Ginger, the one time porn star, was always the hottest one in the group, but Posh wasn't bad. Subtract 30% of her body mass and yeah, she aint so hot these days. Eat some carbs girl and you won't need that awful boob job.

Also, Dennis Richards was always "Barbie hot" and Angelina Jolie has actually gotten hotter with age. I think she's just gotten to the point of not caring about much "fashion" gunk and started dressing and acting like a real person.

Posted by: EricS | March 16, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

She definitely looked much better in the pics from 10 years ago when she weighed 15 lbs more, had long curly hair and smiled.

Now she looks like a fasion mannequin or something out of the pages of VOGUE, which may be what she's aiming for.

However, whoever said, "You can't be too rich or too thin," missed the mark when it comes to Posh.

Posted by: OB | March 16, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

oh - and "bored@" - bratz. That was too funny!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 16, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

here are some links to youtube interviews where posh actually seems human and real (and doesn't seem to mind ali g being ridiculous in the first and herself looking foolish in the second on a kids show). but i do have to agree with those who think that now she seems so plastic and fake and that she needs to smile!

Posted by: NOVA | March 16, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

As a man, let me say that Posh is not hot. She looks like Skeletor and appears fairly vacuous. Give me a woman with a figure, a brain and a heart any day.

Posted by: fft5305 | March 16, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posh can be easy on the eyes, my vote. Honestly I don't think she enjoys the media exposure her life attracts. In so many photos I see of her, it looks like that kind of attention has taken its toll on her happiness, and unlike some celebrities, I don't think she courts it.

In her interview with Ali G, it seems clear to me that she really loves her husband and kids and has a pretty good sense of humor about herself. Good on her.

Posted by: straight gal | March 16, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Right on, Kate. I hate the whole "go have a milkshake and a cheeseburger" advice. I'm not pro-ana or anything, but it really shows what some people's idea of health is.

Posted by: straight gal | March 16, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I know she's skinny but I definitely wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers!

I prefer a little more meat on a lady than Victoria has; if she was 20 lbs heavier, she would truly be a smokin' hot piece of MILF tookis!

Posted by: Johnie | March 16, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I am female and I think she's hot. I love her fashion sense, and she is far more tasteful than the celebrities that we have to put up with in the US (Britney, Paris, Lohan, etc.).

Posted by: Tirade | March 16, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Am I showing my age if I say, per Posh, "meh." BUT -- seeing Valerie Plame testify is getting me all stirred up about going undercover?

Posted by: proxl | March 16, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

The Beckhams -- shallow, plastic, artificial -- are perfect for each other. From my perspective, Victoria belongs with Terri Hatcher in the "Used to be hot but now looks weird and vaguely threatening" Club.

What does Mr. Liz think? BTW, I am wearing a robe over my underwear as I write this. No cheese doodles, either. They stain my...errr...hands ...orange.

Posted by: Mister Methane | March 16, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

She would be a nice replacement for the declining Barbi Doll

Posted by: Hal | March 17, 2007 7:07 AM | Report abuse

She's downright DOUR. Also, after seeing her on the Daily Show, I can only conclude she is either really mean or really stupid (accusing Jon Stewart of having no sense of irony doesn't exactly indicate to me that she is the brightest knife in the toolbox). Either way, she has no sense of humor whatever and to me that is hot-not.

Posted by: Mags | March 19, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I think she has a lovely face, but is too thin. She might be cute in the interviews that some readers pointed out, but I remember reading her say she's NEVER READ A WHOLE BOOK. That should end the debte there. Lots of hot girls can read...

Posted by: ARL | March 19, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Hot, she's not. What's erotic about skin and bones and a fake cleavage? She has turned into a caricature of a failed starlet.
Yet, discussing her hotness or lack thereof is moot, as not one of us blokes posting here (or of the gay ladies, for that matter) would ever have a shot at her anyway.

Posted by: HÃ¥gar | March 19, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

It fascinates me that men would think a woman who's built like a boy is hot. What's up with that?

Posted by: Islamorada Girl | March 19, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Islamorada Girl,
did you read the comments here? How do you arrive at the conclusion that "men would think a woman who's built like a boy is hot"?
A farmer would look at Mrs. Beckham and say, "She won't make it through the winter."

Posted by: HÃ¥gar | March 19, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

With this anorectic body Victoria wants to say she is in control of her physics and mind. Being this thin she is accepted in the holy heaven of supermodels. She doenst want to talk, she competes with shapes an artist can only draw, and always wins. These thin girls drift on the same flow as volunteer hunger starving monks did in medieval times, the more food you can resist, the closer to God. In our times translate God into SUPERSTARDOM. This is Victoria's [only] talent. She has no other occupation to go after. Sure Victoria knows her health is at risk. I think she rather would die than become human again.

Posted by: burt | March 19, 2007 6:07 PM | Report abuse