Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 04/23/2007

Comment Box: A Little More Alec Baldwin

By Liz Kelly

Wasn't Alec Baldwin supposed to leave the United States after Bush was elected? How is that coming along? -- Just Wondering comments on Morning Mix: Alec Baldwin Lashes Out at 11-Year-Old Daughter

You're referring to the voicemail Baldwin left on then 19-year-old Jenna Bush's cell phone in early 2000: "Listen you little twerp, if your right-wingnut of a father wins the White House, I'm out of here. I've had it with him. I don't care if he has the presence of mind of an 11-year-old. You can find me in Fiji, baby. Sayonara. Baldwin out."

Well, not really. (But I think I did a good job of aping Baldwin's singular ability to put us inside his pain.)

According to Snopes.com -- a Web site that has made a name debunking urban legends -- Baldwin's threat has proven difficult to pin down. The story goes that Baldwin (among other celebs including Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder, Pierre Salinger and Robert Altman) said he would leave the country if the Republicans won the presidency in the 2000 election cycle. The Baldwin proclamation was attributed to a German magazine article in which Baldwin's ex-wife, Kim Basinger, apparently said she'd have to join him, too. Baldwin claims his wife never told the magazine (which he initially denied had even interviewed her) that we would leave the U.S. He later clarified that his words were probably "If Bush won it would be a good time to leave the United States. I'm not necessarily going to leave the United States."

In 2001, Baldwin added:

"I never made that statement, but you can tell Gov. [then Florida governor Jeb] Bush to rest assured that I'm not going to leave the country because we have to get him out of office and we have to get his brother out of office in 2004. We're not resting until we get that done."

Baldwin currently stars on NBC's "30 Rock" and is embroiled in a heated custody battle with Basinger.

Fergie the Du(t)chess: Why can't she spell? Tell me that the album title was intentionally misspelled -- because if it's not, that's so, so sad. -- Submitted during last week's Celebritology Live discussion

Because it is unfathomable to think such an egregious typo could have made it past layers of record company types, one can only conclude that the butchered spelling of Fergie's first solo outing was an intentional play on words. See, this wordsmith built her entire album around the concept that she shares a name with the former Duchess of York, Sarah Ferguson. Hence we have her booty-shaking single "London Bridge" and live performances in which the solo Black-Eyed Pea dons postage-stamp-sized Union Jacks and Burberry plaid bustiers.

Although I haven't seen any official comments from Ferguson about the title, she has been known to employ creative spelling elsewhere, for instance Fergalicious's "T-A-S-T-E-Y." Clever girl.

One comment thread on Livejournal offers this interesting interpretation: That Fergie's use of "Dutch" is actually a thinly-veiled reference to marijuana (as in "Pass the Dutchie to the left hand side.")

By Liz Kelly  | April 23, 2007; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Comment Box
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Baldwin Apologizes for Voicemail Rant
Next: Morning Mix: Kim Basinger Denies Releasing Baldwin Voicemail

Comments

just wondering...how long does the weekly live chat last. i need to schedule it in my blackberry.
gracias.

Posted by: about live chat | April 23, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one that doesn't think Alec Baldwin's voicemail is a huge deal? Yes, I don't have kids but I have neices and nephews about the same age and they can be EVIL. The language he uses is TAME by today's standards for kids, Holleywood or no. Yes, he should have left those comments for the mom rather than the kid, but I could see myself losing it too if I was put in the same situation.

Posted by: kholmes | April 23, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

The weekly chat is about an hour -- each Thursday from 2 - 3 p.m. ET. See you there.

Posted by: Liz | April 23, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Typo Tales & Tactics
by Marcia Yudkin

Misprint Disaster
Overzealous proofreading can create catastrophe, as can poor proofreading or none at all.

Mail-order sporting goods giant L.L. Bean barely averted disaster last week when its back-to-school catalog arrived in millions of homes. The catalog invited people to call a phone number that belonged to a Virginia company instead of the Maine-based mega-retailer. L.L. Bean paid the Virginia company an unnamed sum of money (surely six figures!) to immediately take over the misprinted phone number.

The misprint's cause: an employee who "knew" a toll-free number starting with "877" should really have started with "800."

Similarly, the Wall Street Journal once devoted eight column inches to ridiculing a conference on critical thinking that sent out a press release referring to the conference's "world renown" researchers "in field of thinking" such as our former surgeon general "C. Everett Coop." (He spells it "Koop.")

Posted by: wmx | April 23, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Another one . . .

Here's the golden rule of marketing. Ready? "Do your homework." Oregon-based Nike is recalling thousands of sneakers because of a logo that resembles the Arabic word for "God." Marketplace's Mitchell Hartman reports.

Hartman: "Call it a 76-thousand sneaker "mis-step." The "Nike" logo was supposed to look like a flame, it looked to Muslims like the word "Allah" in Arabic script. Kind of like a car model named "Christ," or "Yahweh" in-line skates, putting God's name on a product isn't kosher in any religion, Nike's pulling the offending shoes from store shelves worldwide. Quote 'We have done everything possible to communicate our sincerest apologies' to the Muslim community.' "Reebok" recently got into similar trouble. It recalled a line of women's running shoes called "incubus." In medieval Europe, an incubus was a demon believed to descend on sleeping women and have sex with them. I asked Jonathan Bell of the global naming firm Interbrand, for some other famous mistakes."

Posted by: wmx | April 23, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Oh Liz.....you crack me up calling the BEP Fergie a wordsmith!!

Ohmylordy that was a knee slapper!!

Posted by: Bored @ work | April 23, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Chevy Nova- in Spanish no va means no go.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 23, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I think that Nike thing was 7 or 8 years ago.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 23, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Do people actually think they are sharing something new when they use the - "no va" example? Yes people, we know. And for goodness sake, a Chevy Nova? What year is it? I especially love that this person translated no to mean no.
I think misspelling and not being aware of local markets are two different disasters.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 23, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

What's all that got to do w/Alec Baldwin, anyway?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 23, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Nothing. It's called the Achenblog effect.

Posted by: WaPo Reader | April 23, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I love Fergie. she's hot and she makes great music. I'm really jealous of that guy from Las Vegas who's dating her.

he's also going to be in the new Transformers movie this summer. which is going to be awesome.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 23, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Truth behind Chevy Nova: http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

God Bless Snopes. I expect they'll cover the Nike thing in a couple days.

Posted by: BF | April 23, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

You beat me to it, BF. I think the reason people perpetuate this particular myth is because it came out long before Snopes, everyone believes it, so no one bothers to check it out to see it's a bunch of hooey.

Also, I doubt Snopes will do anything about the Nike thing, because it happened in 1996 (resolved in 1998) so I don't think anyone is going to be looking for it now....but for those interested, just Google "Nike""Allah" and you'll get plenty of hits to choose from.

Posted by: Ron | April 23, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

this could be the funniest repsonse from Ireland: The Voicemail Solution for Alec Baldwin's Daughter

Posted by: kelly | April 23, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Dear MR BALDWIN LIFE IS TO SHORT TO BE MEAN OR HATEFUL YOUR DAUGHTER AND HER LOVE AND RESPECT IS MORE IMPORTANT AND THEIR FEELINGS INCLUDING KIMS YOU SHOULD BE GOOD FRIENDS IAM NOT A PERFECT PARENT BUT MY GIRLS LOVE AND RESPECT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN LIFE AND MY HUSBAND LOVE AND RESPECTYOU AND YOUR WIFE AND DAUGHTER ARE BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE AND TALENTED YOU GET MORE BEES WITH HONEY AND GOD

Posted by: edie | April 23, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Telegram for Mr. Baldwin!

Posted by: byoolin | April 24, 2007 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Me, I love Alec Baldwin just because he is crazy.

Posted by: bkp | April 24, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Lowest prices. http://www.titanium-fiko.com.ua/pages/e_index.htm Titanium Bars Ingots Tubes [URL=http://www.titanium-fiko.com.ua/index.htm]titanium sheets[/URL] !

Posted by: titanium | April 26, 2007 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Alec, I'm not saying I approve, but I understand. You're not the only one who has ever had words fall out of their mouth due to frustration, hurt, anger, or a combination of the 3 that leaves you feeling so rejected and abandoned by the one you love the most that it tears your heart out. You don't know what to do or say and the pain lashes out before you can catch it. Been there; done that; felt the regret that you are feeling now. Just because we are parents does not mean that we are perfect.
Alec, you do not owe the world an apology. It was never any of our business. This is between you and your daughter. Apologize to her and ignore us. After all, history tells you how easy it is for us to spread palms one week and pass out nails the next. Our "vote" does not matter because we do not have one in your family matters. Hug your daughter. Try and remember you are the adult and you are supposed to be able to take it. I promise, it eventually gets better.

Posted by: Casey | April 29, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse