Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 04/ 2/2007

Comment Box: How Many Black Eyed Peas?

By Liz Kelly

Black Eyed Peas's Taboo (with bandmate Apl.De.Ap) holds up a cardboard cutout of more recognizable bandmate Stacy Ferguson at the Kids' Choice Awards. (AP)

What's with those other two dudes in the Black Eyed Peas? -- Liz

Okay, so I submitted this question myself because I've long wondered why Fergie and Will.I.Am always seem to have these two other guys on stage with them. Aside from sporting ensembles goofy enough to make Sanjaya Malakar envious and strike caricature-ish poses, what exactly do Taboo and Apl.De.Ap (pictured at right) do? Based on my limited exposure to the Peas (I'm obviously allergic), Taboo seems to lurch around like some kind of uncoordinated giant and get arrested while Aple.Whathizhoozie chimes in from time to time with a well-placed "Yo" or "Yah."

Maybe I'm the last to know, but it turns out that Apl.Strudel (aka Allan Lindo) has been with Will.I.Am since their days on a high school breakdancing crew and, at least according to Wikipedia, is the band's main composer. Taboo (aka Jaime Luis Gómez) joined the live band-backed hip-hop group soon after its inception in the late 1980s. The band released two albums (and one single on Brian Austin Green's label) and enjoyed some modest underground success (ie Mr. Liz had heard of them) before the ever-angry-looking Stacy "Fergie" Ferguson -- a former "Kids Incorporated" cast member -- joined the band in 2003 as a back-up singer, but is now generally credited with bringing the Peas commercial success.

The Olsen twins ... SUCH a train wreck. How long before they spiral into Anna Nicole Smith territory? -- Blech comments on Morning Mix: Paris Hilton Draws Fire for Dwarf Cat

Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen may well prove to be two of the most interesting case studies in Celebritology to cross this blogger's desk in recent years, though I wouldn't be too quick to lump their brand of weird together with the late Anna Nicole Smith's.

Here we have twin child stars who were basically treated as interchangeable clones while sharing duties as Michelle Elizabeth Tanner on "Full House" from 1987 to 1995. Perhaps because of their adorable-in-a-JonBenet-Ramsey toddler-with-helmet-hair kind of way, the twins graduated from "Full House" into full-blown pre-teen idolhood -- launching a line of TV specials, straight-to-video movies and products to catapult them into the Oprah Winfrey stratosphere of wealth.

The dynamic duo, now 21, seem to be struggling with their faltering post-teen dream career transition and frequent pix of the two as bag-o-bones fashion victims doesn't seem to be helping to build adult credibility for the sisters. Mary-Kate has also admitted to bouts of anorexia despite being declared a fashion icon by the New York Times. Their last movie, 2004's "New York Minute," grossed only $14 million and IMDB.com doesn't list any upcoming acting projects for the two.

The waif-like living Bratz-dolls most recently piqued my interest by reportedly consulting a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon about matching nose jobs.

Comments of the Week:

"No way Ringo was the lame-o Beatle! Before I knew who the Beatles were, I loved him as Mr. Conductor on Shining Times Station. Paul is definitely the lame-o Beatle. Let's face it, he's kind of drippy. And that whole Heather Mills thing... Of course, being a lame-o Beatle still makes him *much* cooler than 99% of the rest of the population." -- KT comments on The World According to Gwyneth

"I'll never forgive her mom for not standing up to the Great Santini when he was being so mean to the kid from 'Caddyshack.' " -- Ronnie comments on The World According to Gwyneth

P.S.: Thanks to everyone for sharing picks in Friday's Guilty Pleasure movie list. Mr. Liz reminded me that evening that I'd left a very important movie off my list, a movie I love, yet he hates with a vengeance: "Drop Dead Fred."

By Liz Kelly  | April 2, 2007; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Comment Box
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Rosie and Hasselbeck, BFF 4Eva!
Next: Morning Mix: Brangelina Plotting Fourth Adoption?

Comments

But you never said what Taboo's actual contribution is. Who is that guy?

Posted by: Too Taboo? | April 2, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

why am i the only person that think olsen twins' heads look avery large. i mean not just because they're sickly thin. even on full house their heads looked giant. their goggley eyes don't help. wow, that was really mean. i should not push "submit" button....

Posted by: not bluto | April 2, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

About Taboo: "As a child he aspired to be a philantropist, and did not turn to music until his late teens." I think this is funking hysterical...how exactly does one aspire to be a PHILANTHROPIST? Don't you have to aspire to be someone who makes money first? Although I guess maybe he's figured out how to put the horse back before the cart with this BEP thing. I just don't understand them.

Posted by: 23112 | April 2, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

-As a fan of Black Eyed Peas (the bean, not the band). No way, should Fergie get credit with their commercial success. Any singer (with an angry face and hot boyfriend) could do what she does. Actually, she should credit the Peas for helping her get the boyfriend. Pop-hop tunes with samples from previous hits always do well(ask P-Diddy).

Posted by: Lisa1 | April 2, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

ok, so i'm going to throw this out there... but i liked the peas before fergie showed up. i don't dislike her, but i the peas with esthero singing was good times. they were way better then.

Posted by: not bluto | April 2, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

addendum: though, the peas are much much richer now, so what do i know

Posted by: not bluto | April 2, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Fergie is to the Black Eyed Peas what smoked ham hock is to black eyed peas. Use only flavoring, lots of fat, and very little meat.

Posted by: Lisa1 | April 2, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Fergie turned the Black Eyed Peas from tight (if less marketable) hip-hop to terrible (although commercially successful) pop.

She is useless.

Posted by: Franktastic | April 2, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

23112, saw that bit about Taboo's aspirations to be a philanthropist, too, and had a nice chuckle. It does look like he might be making good on that goal, though, since the Peas have established their very own Pea Pod Foundation:

Posted by: Liz | April 2, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

"Pea Pod Foundation" ....huh, Taboo will deliver groceries to your house rather so that you don't have to set foot in a grocery store?

Can't Safeway sue for infringement? :)

Posted by: Ken | April 2, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Wait a tick. Does Brian Austin Green have a label or were the BEP on the same label as him? I wondered why on earth they added Fergie and then I heard some of her songs and it made sense.

If the NYT is going to count the Olsen twins as fashion icons I will be awaiting my certificate or award. On the days I don't feel like leaving the house I wear some of the same things they do. Mine aren't designer but I capture the look.

Posted by: petal | April 2, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Fergie, Sebastian Bach, and Steve Perry. What do they all have in common? They were all placed in their respective bands (Black Eye Peas, Skid Row, and Journey) by record producers/labels in an attempt to make the band more marketable.

Posted by: BF | April 2, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

And when I'm an old lady muttering to myself and feeding my 200 cats, I'll probably be a fashion icon like the Olsens too!

Posted by: Barb | April 2, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

BR, how dare you put the Great Steve Perry & The Fabulous Sebastian Bach in the same category w/Fergie!!

Sebastian Bach & Steve Perry can actually sing, they're much prettier & have better hair than Fergie!!

Posted by: Bored @ work | April 2, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Bored: First, it's BF, not BR. Second, the fact still remains, neither Sebastian nor Perry were in the original band, and were only added later on by the record producer/label in an attempt to sell more records.

Posted by: BF | April 2, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

1. Fergie - how can guys think she's hot? She does have a kickin' bod but...Her clothes are gawd-awful, she has no forehead, her makeup makes her look like a drag queen.

2. The Olsens - these girls are just so pathetic. Despite having extreme wealth, they never ever appear as though they're enjoying life. As if looking like a little girl playing dress up as an eccentric bag lady now qualifies one to be a style icon. Another thing, they've always looked like Monchichis to me, even as little girls.

Posted by: vjl | April 2, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Sorry BF. Point taken & I agree.

That still doesn't change the fact that Perry & Bach are prettier & have better hair.

I knew I'd heard of the BEP in the pre-Fergie days but I know nothing of their music unfortunately. It sounds like I would prefer the earlier stuff to the Fergie era stuff.

Posted by: Bored @ work | April 2, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Here's what I can't figure out... where did the idea come from that Fergie is "hot"? I mean, it's clear she watches her weight and works out, but that head is pretty fugly.

And I only bring that up because we are constantly being told how beautiful she is... she okay, he voice is....uh... okay. It doesn't hurt when you listen to her.

-Bunkley

Posted by: Bunkley | April 2, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

i'd have her stomach if i stopped eating popeye's.

Posted by: not bluto | April 2, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Alls I can say is, without Fergie I would not have the mental image of Will Ferrell singing "My humps, my humps, my lovely lady lumps." And that makes me laugh so I will let her live.

Posted by: arlington | April 2, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Can I nominate the Olsens Twins for the TV reality show "What Not To Ware"!

Posted by: M | April 2, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

not bluto: You would have Fergie's stomach if you were dating Josh Duhamel.

Posted by: Lisa1 | April 2, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Fergie is neither hot nor a particularly interesting talent. But she got the BEP noticed. Although I wonder if I'm the only perv who said to himself "doesn't this look like a p0rn cast waiting to happen?"

Posted by: 23112 | April 2, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

i just want to go on record here, on a washpost blog site, saying, "i don't like the new website no matter how much that guy who did the q&a said i will like it once i get used to it." i have to get used to enough stuff in this world. i liked it the way it was.
that said, i think the monchichi comment was hilarious, vjl. you rock.

Posted by: methinks | April 2, 2007 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Not Bluto, I LOVED Esthero...did you ever get their 1st cd? Good stuff...they released a cd in 2005 I believe which was pretty much horrible. Ahhh the good ol' days...

I think if you are looking for BEP without the Fergly you might wanna try K-OS.

Posted by: Geist | April 3, 2007 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Right on, methinks, I'm with you! (re the website, not monchichi -- still not sure what that is...)

Posted by: me, too | April 3, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse