Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 04/ 5/2007

'Lost' Dueling Analyses: Something For Everyone?

By Liz Kelly

This week, post.com movies editrix Jen Chaney and I disagree yet again, but in a Bizarro World kind of way. Warning: Spoilers ahead.

Sawyer (Josh Holloway) beer batters a wild boar. (Photo courtesy ABC)

Liz: To borrow the sentiment from a famous Abraham Lincoln quote, you can't please all of the people all of the time. Last night's episode, though, attempted to do just that: We had action unfolding in both major areas of the island, muddy girl-fighting, the return of the smoke monster, Hurley getting one over on Sawyer, a handy Sawyer tie-in via Kate's flashback and, ultimately, promise of an interesting episode next week when Jack, Kate, Sayid and Juliet return to the Losties' main digs.

And I, for one, find myself pleased. Maybe I'm a cheap date, but a little Hurley and some smoke monster will get me every time.

Jen: We have switched roles this week, my friend. I found last night's episode a little on the dull side, although I still trust that the writers are leading us somewhere interesting.

Here's the problem, which we've talked about before. The writers of "Lost" want to end the show after two more seasons, while ABC wants it to go another three because (duh) it makes money for the network. Personally, I think they should do one more season, then quit. Why? Because sometimes the eps feel a little like a 500-word essay written by a desperate high school student. The writers are trying to fill as much of the page as possible so they throw in unnecessary stuff, like last night's plot about Sawyer becoming a good guy. Yes, that puts him at odds with a returning Jack. But did we need all that filler?

Liz: Sure, maybe last night's Sawyer plot wasn't necessary, but I have a hard time complaining about any screen time Josh Holloway gets.

Don't be so quick to discount last night's episode, though. A lot of interesting gears were set in motion. Where did the Others go? Why now with the smoke monster? And just what was Locke talking about when he told Kate "they know who you are and what you've done and forgiveness isn't their strong suit"? After all, he's the one who killed Mikhail and blew up the submarine.

Much more after the jump...

Jen: Oh there was definitely stuff to dissect, don't get me wrong. But it wasn't as exciting as some of the other installments, at least to me. Maybe I was just in a mood.

Re: Locke -- Some people aren't so sure he did blow up the submarine and Damon Lindelof won't confirm that he did, which leads me to think there's something to that theory. I'm not sure what Locke is up to, or where the Others went, or why this was not the first time they ditched out on Juliet.

And speaking of Juliet, she didn't seem to recognize Smoky the Monster. So how did she know the sensors around the barracks would keep him out? And does this mean he's actually human on some level, since the fence would be able to detect him?

Liz: Actually, late in the episode -- after the second narrow escape from the smoke monster -- Juliet admitted that the Others were aware of the smoke monster and don't know what it is, but have learned that it doesn't like their electrified perimeter fence.

There's still a part of me that thinks the smoke monster is some kind of fear engendering device controlled by Ben. But what was with the four flashes of light it seemed to aim at Juliet? I was wondering if he/she/it was somehow programming her while Mr. Liz (who is no help at all) said he thought it was Michael Jackson's 50-foot robot come to do battle with the island's colossus.

Still, Juliet may not be telling the complete truth about the monster or her status as "left behind." I'm with Sayid (who is usually right) -- I think she's being sent back to the Lostie compound as some kind of spy. And, by the way, when exactly did her transformation from meek fertility doctor to trained kickboxer with a four-time dislocated shoulder actually occur?

Jen: Don't know about that transformation, but clearly it wasn't enough for her to take Kate in a fight. She pretty much got her butt kicked, unless the shoulder excuse was a way to engender Kate's sympathy.

As for the flashes, it almost seemed like it was taking Juliet's picture or something, perhaps recording her mental make-up so it will know what it takes to scare her in the future? Personally I think the smoke monster doesn't just engender fear, it shows you the things that have scared you the most in life. It also kills off actors who desperately want to leave the cast of "Lost" (see Mr. Eko).

I completely agree that she's working as a spy, or at the very least not acting on the up and up about going with the Losties. But why is Jack so gullible? That's the part I still don't get.

Liz: Jack's a sucker for chicks in distress. His ex-wife, Kate, Bai-Ling and Juliet (whether her distress is real or manufactured remains to be seen).

I think Kate came out on top in the wet shirt/mud-wrestling skirmishes, but I think the two are evenly matched. Juliet managed to deflect Kate's unexpected attack and flip her over midair when delivering her sandwich early in the episode.

A couple of things: I think Kate's flashback was pretty much meaningless, except to again illuminate a character with daddy (and mommy) issues (of which we were already aware) and give us these telling quotes from her mother: "You can't help who you love" and "What you did you did for yourself." Which, to me, translate to meaning that in her heart of hearts Kate loves Sawyer.

Jen: Other relevance of the flashback: It set up more dualities, as in Sawyer = Kate's dad (both are "bad guys"). And it provided a parallel plotline to the Kate/Juliet plot, as both involved two women forced to work together. Otherwise, I agree, not much meat there.

I know Jack's a sucker, but I always thought he was an astute one. He questioned everything the Others did when he was held captive, but now suddenly he's all about trust? It just seems weird.

I'm glad you mentioned the smoke-bomb. I noticed on the canister thrown into Kate's room the name A.L.S. Technologies. Being a geek, I naturally went to the Web site listed on the canister (alstechnologies.com), which goes here.

Apparently that Web site is for a company that provides non-lethal weapons to police departments, the military and the FBI. I called the 877 number on the site and it actually sounds legit.

Whether it is or isn't, I think this is an important clue. To me it suggests The Others are working with or perhaps part of the U.S. military, an idea I believe has been bandied about before. Perhaps this is why they think they are the good guys. Could it be that "Lost" is really a commentary about terrorism and U.S. military policy?

Liz: Not so fast -- the Web site also lists the United Arab Emirates and Warner Bros. Studios Facilities as clients, so I'm not convinced it would be that difficult to get hold of their product.

Jen: I noticed the Warner Bros. listing, but was more intrigued by the military ones. It's also possible the whole ALS thing is a meaningless Easter egg thrown in to distract dummies like me.

Liz: Also, why is it that Jack is so intent to head back to the Lostie compound? Why not send someone back to get the rest of the survivors and take over the Others' village? It has all the comforts of home -- even a rec center complete with pool tables.

Jen: True, they could take over the barracks. But while the Others left, I assume they will return. So perhaps Jack doesn't want to stay for that reason.

Liz: Speaking of the island, think we can get post.com to front us the money so we can win this auction and pay a visit to the "Lost" set?

Jen: No, I don't think post.com will front us the cash for that. But they really should pay to send us to Hawaii so we can do "research" about the show. I've spent 25 minutes on one occasion with Matthew Fox, so I'm sure he'd be super-willing to let us onto the set.

I am looking forward to next week. Why? It's another Juliet episode -- and based on the preview, it looked like some weird spaceship was involved.

Liz: Yep, and it looks like Robin Weigert is set to guest star again which means more Juliet flashbacks (which was riveting last time around). Also, expect to see Ethan and Mikhail in some capacity.

Just a nugget (or, nougat) to chew on: I've been going back over some of the ABC-created Web sites accompanying the show and I think its worth thinking about the words of Alvar Hanso as we head in to the remaining episodes of this season. In a letter posted to the current Hanso site, he writes: "The work of the Hanso Foundation has always been intended to bring rebirth to a dying land and a dying people."

I'll continue to ponder that while you set up our visit to Matthew Fox. Till next week?

Jen: I like that Hanso quote. Ties in nicely (and eerily) with what Locke told good 'ol Paolo: "Nothing on this island stays buried."

Talk to you next week.

Add your comments below and join me Live at 2 p.m. ET for this week's Celebritology Live discussion.

Next Week on 'Lost': One of Us -- Jack's joyous reunion with his fellow survivors is cut short when they realize that accompanying him is one of "The Others," and Claire is stricken by a mysterious, life-threatening illness.

By Liz Kelly  | April 5, 2007; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Lost, TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Britney Finds Romance in Rehab
Next: Morning Mix: Disney Miffed with Keith Richards' Snorting Story

Comments

I'm not one to knock a beach vacation, but if I were one of the nameless losties on the beach and learned there was an abandoned village with electricity, running water and soft pillows, I'd head there without one last dip in the water.

Posted by: Hot showers! | April 5, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I enjoyed the episode, but then again I do love getting my Sawyer fix. I can't figure out why Mr. Ford would get credit for bringin' on the boar BBQ when Desmond was the one who shot the thing...

Posted by: KiKi | April 5, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

point of clarification - kate toasted her stepfather, not her father. so i guess that means her real father could play a part in future storylines.

in the previews of next week, i thought i caught a glimpse of what looked like a sub's conning tower. hmmmm

Posted by: b | April 5, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I think the Kate flashback was, among other things, a way to set up the post-gas scene with Jack. She said, "I came back for you." He essentially said, "no, you came back for yourself." Similar to her conversation with Mom in the bathroom. Kate seems to think she's being altruistic when actually she's motivated by selfish (though understandable) desires.

Posted by: Mommy Dearest | April 5, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I had mixed feelings about this ep, too. Wasn't expecting the Others' exodus and the return of Smokey the Monster. That was a nice jolt. But I'm really suffering from flashback fatigue. They just seem to bring any momentum in the show to a grinding halt.

Very intriguing moves from Locke--deserting his crew to join the Others and that cryptic slam on Kate. Looking forward to seeing this unfold.

Juliet and Kate's little face-off brings up a question that's always bugged me: Kate and Sawyer knew their every movement was being monitored while they were caged. What possessed them to do the nasty on camera for all the Others to see?

Posted by: Not Shlomo | April 5, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice that Kate and Juliette looked orangey/sunburned after being flashed by the monster? Did it scan their brains for fears? Expose them to something wonky? Or just reveal a bad self-tan job?

Posted by: emellgee | April 5, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Is Locke going to be an Other now? Maybe they traded Juliet for Locke, lol.

We still have so much to learn about Locke - where did he get the scar on his eye, and when did he go from paper company employee to shaved-head, knife-box toting, boar killing, forest tracking man? When/How did his transformation occur? He may have just woken up with the ability to walk, but I don't think the island gave him those other skills.... Is staying on the island so he can stay out of the chair his real/only motivation for staying on the island? He's also the only person to stare down the smoke monster and call what he saw as "the face of the island" "beautiful".....

Posted by: hello neuman | April 5, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm unclear about the setup from last night.

Did Juliet wake up, carry Kate to the jungle, handcuff them together, and then fake unconsciousness? That would explain why she knew where Sayid was (although she might deduce that because he would have passed out wherever he was being kept).

Did she wake up handcuffed to Kate and happen to have the key?

Did she wake up next to a 'cuffed Kate, uncuff her, and then cuff them to each other?

Posted by: thc | April 5, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I got the impression that Juliet was seeing the "bright light" Locke referred to when Eko asked what he had seen when he looked at the monster...
Which brings up several questions to me.

If the monster "judges" people based on their past, as it seemed to do with Eko, and we assume that Locke's experience was different because he was "pure" or something...
Is Juliet a good person as well?

That doesn't square with the Others leaving her behind, which makes me wonder: Do the Others have a different moral code than that of the monster?
OR, is it a clue that Juliet really is a spy (good theories Jen and Liz) that's pretending to be flawed and banished to learn more about the Losties?

Not sure why they'd do such a thing, though, since the Others seem to know plenty already.
It could be that Purple Sky disrupted their near-omniscient observational abilities, but we know that the cameras in the Pearl still work, so...

guess I'm Lost.

Posted by: isaidmoreham | April 5, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

"Liz: Also, is it just me or are you also wondering why Kate and Juliet seemed to wake up from the Others' smoke-bombing a full day before Jack and Sayid?"

I think the fresh air has something to do with it. Remember, Jack and Sayid were trapped in an enclosed room so the keep breathing the sleeping gas, therefore, a longer sleep.

Posted by: EP | April 5, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Jack and Sayid woke up from the gas attack in the Other's village, but why did Kate and Juliet wake up in the forest outside the compound? Kate said that whoever brought them there didn't leave any tracks, which sort of leads me to believe that Juliet brought them there for some reason. SHE had the key to the handcuffs and admitted that she thought her and Kate being handcuffed would bring them together or bond them in some way.... sounds like Juliet did the cuffing herself... She also made a comment to Kate that Ben loves to play mind-games, and we were lead to believe initially that Ben and Juliet had a close relationship - have some of these mind game techniques rubbed off on Juliet? There is also a lot of Juliet left to discover as well - she certainly very deftly took Kate down in her surprise attack, not something an untrained person can just do. I don't think we can trust her at all, no matter how sweet on Jack she may be.

Posted by: hello neuman | April 5, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

To hello neuman,

There isn't any mystery about Locke's scar. He got it in the plane crash, as it was a wound when the show started and faded into a scar. (Which I appreciate, since someone should be showing some permanent damage from the crash.)
And I'm pretty sure his hunting abilities came from intensive study for his Walkabout trip in Australia. He was clearly obsessed with being a hero and being more important than his box job let him be. I always assumed he was like Anthony Hopkins in "The Edge": a brilliant guy who'd never been tested, but is able to survive on his wits when necessary.

Posted by: isaidmoreham | April 5, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

neuman -- those Locke elements have been explained. His eye scar was from the plane crash, he has a cut for a lot of the first season. His survival skills were probably gained while working on the pot farm. He def. hunted, etc while there.

Posted by: thc | April 5, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Juliet grabbed Kate's wrist pretty quickly for someone who'd been gasse.d It took a while for Kate to wake up, and Jack had to be supported when he woke up indoors. I think Juliet dragged Kate into the jungle, cuffed herself to Kate and then faked being unconscious.

Posted by: KiKi | April 5, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

The enclosed space vs. open air theory of extended unconsciousness is an interesting one. I was speculating that maybe the smoke monster's flashes brought Juliet and Kate back in time 1 day. Far fetched? Absolutely.

Posted by: thc | April 5, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I just assumed it was the mud that made them that color.

I'm tired of flashbacks though it was interesting to see another connection made.
I wonder if those dots will ever connect w/the Losties?

Posted by: Bored @ work | April 5, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I could've sworn that I saw Juliet as one of the Others that was donning a gas mask. Did anyone else see that? Maybe they were a decoy for the Others to get out of the compound, away from the smoke monster.

Posted by: gordo | April 5, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I would have liked to have had some progress / resolution as to Locke's dad's captivity. It seems likely that the 'man from Tallahassee' is also the con man that ruined Sawyer; given that Kate killed her step-dad, any odds that the 'man' is Kate's biological father as well? That might make a nice tie-in with the sibling bond b/t Jack and Claire.

Also, if Sayid doesn't start asking the obvious questions of Juliet, I'm done with this show. Suspension of disbelief is one thing, abandonment is quite another.

Posted by: Lost In Alabama | April 5, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I just hope that next week we don't have to go down the path again of Sayid asking himself "Am I a Torturer or Not" with his questioning of Juliet... we've seen that episode/flashback too many times already....d

Posted by: hello neuman | April 5, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

"Personally I think the smoke monster doesn't just engender fear, it shows you the things that have scared you the most in life."

I think this is probably right. The smoke monster is a boggart. The writers seem to pull references from all over pop culture, so why not Harry Potter?

Posted by: Boggart | April 5, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Alabama:
We learned a while ago that Kate's biological father is a military guy. He was in Iraq and held Sayid prisoner and then let him go. When Kate was a fugitive, she went to see her father in a Marine Recruiting Office.

Posted by: jlr | April 5, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

We saw Kate's "step" dad Wayne in the episode where she blew up the house. We've also met her father Sam Austen, the miliatary guy, in that same episode and also in a Sayid flashback in Iraq episode. We know that neither of those people are Locke's Dad, or The Man from Tallahassee, as Ben called him. I think that the real "Sawyer" is Locke's dad, but has nothing to do with Kate.

Posted by: Estef | April 5, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Just curious... did anyone with TiVo catch the numbers Juliet punched in the security fence box? Were they related at all to Hurley's numbers?

Posted by: Lost at Work | April 5, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Kate's real dad is in the military, a major or something. We saw him several times in the first season, so I don't think there is anything connecting Kate to Sawyer's dad.
But I'm surprised that no one commented on the big news that Sawyer is evidently a daddy with the woman he conned who was in last night's episode.

DH & I found Sawyer's supposed social ineptness last night to be unbelievable. If he was good at being a con, then he should at least possess the surface social skills. That is the key skill of those sociopaths -- being able to read people and their weaknesses and adjust their behavior to take advantage of them. Sawyer initially was not much of a con on the island, just isolated himself. I think Sawyer had initially decided on the island to isolate himself because he thought the other Losties would just bring him down, and they had nothing to offer him. (this is the reverse of Jack's "live together or die alone" comment). But Sawyer has been rescued several times by the others, so maybe he is beginning his "redemption" process, which I think is the theme of this season, with Hurley having his hope restored that there is still free will, not the fate of the numbers, and becoming the "wise man" of the Losties. Similarly, Charlie seems to be in the process of being redeemed from the "death" future seen by Desmond, and his relationship with Clare is improving.
So I saw Kate's apology to Jack as being similar to Sawyer's attempt to being accepted by the other Losties. Maybe they are being given insight into their past failings and learning from it - the classic "tragedy" catharsis described by Aristotle and epitomized by Oedipus's realization he had killed his father & married his mother, etc. (or a Freudian "transference" experience, perhaps, but is the island the therapist?)
It seems to take an event like re-experiencing the past "sin" or wrongdoing for the Lostie to "get it"; for Sawyer, the con learns by being the mark for a positive con; for Kate, she seems to have to lose another person she loves (Jack, like her mother), in order to learn that she doesn't know best & can't "fix" other people's lives, especially with violence.
(and last week, Paolo & Nikki got their comeuppance from their past sin of murder by poison by being done in by poison themselves. (And didn't we expect to see N&P rising from their paralysis & sandy graves this week? No comment on that?! Could have been a bizarre Easter connection!)

I think Sayid has clearly already shown remorse so I'm not sure what's in store for him. (and he had the grief of losing Shannon the second season, although most of us may think that a blessing in disguise)

One last comment; Hurley says Sawyer should be the new leader, sort of because no one else is available. WHere are Rose & her husband???? They would be great leaders (a 2fer!), although the Losties already rejected him. And Sun would also be a great leader. It doesn't have to be a man!

Posted by: Lindytx | April 5, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Kate's real dad is the guy she killed who she thought was her step-dad. When she went to see her "real" dad--the military guy--he told her that.

And Locke did not stare down the smoke monster--Eko did.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 5, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was a satisfying episode and moved thing along. The Kate flashback was essentially harmless, but revealed one very interesting tidbit for all you daddy theorists -- Sawyer has a kid. I wonder if he/she/it will pop later?

Jack's coming across as an arrogant, self-important sap. Juliet is not to be trusted. Nor is Jack for that matter. Frankly, he doesn't seem too bright for a spinal surgeon. Did he really think the Others would let him go? If they did, how would explain himself to the rest of world? Would the Others really allow that?

The Sawyer-as-nice-guy-potential-leader angle has some possibilites. Expect friction with and distrust of Jack after his return.

I agree with whoever said they should wrap it up next season. Who in their right mind would spend the next 2-3 years sitting in front of a tv watching filler waiting for answers to all the mysteries that have piled up? By the time the end finally rolls around the show would have, ahem, Lost its audience.

Alternatively, the only way I can see for them to extend the show is to solve the big mysteries and then let the characters deal with the situation. of course, then show devolves into just another tv drama.

Posted by: Monk0127 | April 5, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Sawyer knows he has a daughter. He had a photo of her in jail and with the money he got for ratting someone out, he set up a bank account for her.

Posted by: 1234 | April 5, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

where is roussau (sorry i cant spell and am too lazy to look it up)?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 5, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I do fear the same thing as hello neuman, that there will be another sayid the reluctant torturer episode. Few of the threads are played out (I still enjoy the flashbacks -- as explanations of the principal characters motivations), but I think they cannot do better than the Sayid-centric episode last season when he's in the Republican Guard.

Posted by: LostieLostie | April 5, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I think that all the easter eggs that the writers have used (i.e. obscure books, philosopher names, etc.) are causing people to go overboard on speculating. Weeks ago everyone was convinced the island was a black hole, then Jack was a clone, then it was Paulo/Nikki weren't really dead. Now everyone is convinced Juliet is a spy. Why would the Others plant her with the Losties. They already know more about the Losties than the Losties know about themselves. I think Juliet is joining up with the Losties because the writers know she is a popular character and they want to give her more screen time.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 5, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Couple of things:
Not sure if the person who commented on the Kate-dad-versus-stepdad thing was expressing a theory, but the episode was pretty clear on the military guy being her real dad.

Also, both Locke and Eko faced down Smokey.
Locke did it in his first flashback episode in the first season, but they showed it from the monster's POV so we didn't get to see it.

And Monk0127, we'd already learned that Sawyer had a kid earlier this season, though apparently some people weren't sure if it was for real at the time. Now we know for sure.

BTW, anybody have a theory on how long ago last night's flashback was?
I thought Sawyer's kid was supposed to be several years old when he found out about her, but Kate just doesn't look old enough to have been on the lam for many, many years.

(That's the problem with young female actresses, IMO. It's hard to have old flashbacks because their appearance should change quite a bit.)

Speaking of which, anyone notice how the actors have aged since the first season? It's something you don't really think about, then last week's ep showed archive footage from the first season and Jack and Kate in particular looked a bit different.

Posted by: isaidmoreham | April 5, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

The others planted Ethan and the other guy (don't remember his name but I'm pretty sure he got killed by Ana Lucia early on in the tail-section story) with the Losties to keep tabs on them so I still don't think Juliet being a spy is too far-fetched. It might not be the case, but hopefully we'll find that out next week.

Posted by: hello neuman | April 5, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Kate's "stepfather" (abusive alcoholic loser Wayne Jansen) is her real father--after she offed him and went to see her "real" dad (clean-cut Army guy Sam Austen), he pretty much told her that. I'd forgotten Sam's connection to Iraq and Sayid. There's a good rundown of all the character connections at www.losthatch.com.

I can't believe I'm wasting my time on this...

The smoke monster/crashing metallic security system/bugaboo still makes no sense, as far as I can tell. And has anyone figured out the polar bear yet?

Posted by: Jeffer | April 5, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I have a few random comments:

1. Locke DID stare down the smoke monster. He was the first one to face it, early in season 1.

2. When Eko saw the smoke, you saw flashes of scenes from Eko's past inside the smoke. It looked like the smoke was reading his mind, which makes sense when the smoke was later able to reconstitute itself in the form of Eko's brother.

3. Juliet was definitely one of the Others putting on their gas masks - good eyes, gordo...

4. This is conjecture, but I'm pretty sure that Locke's dad is the real Sawyer -- the con man who ruined Sawyer's life.

5. Sawyer was WAY out of character in this episode. I mean, a guy like him needs to take etiquette lessons from Hurley? I'm glad that it turned out Hurley was priming Sawyer to be a leader; hopefully the writers are finally starting to build Sawyer back up again, not turning him back into an antisocial loner.

6. Sayid's instincts are always right. If he doesn't trust Juliet, Juliet is not to be trusted. We already know that she knows a lot more than she is telling.

7. The $64 dollar question: is Locke using the Others, or are they using him?

Steve

Posted by: Steve | April 5, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

We already know Sawyer has a daughter. Her name is Clementine and he left money in a trust fund for her.

Posted by: Estef | April 5, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

How come the smoke monster can't go OVER the force field the way Kate, Sayid and Locke did a couple episodes ago?

Posted by: Cosmo | April 5, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Monk:

Other than when he was held captive, Benry didn't lie to Jack or rescind a promise. While not trusting Benry, Jack had every reason to believe Benry would let him go.

And the implication was that the sub-ride was a one way ticket. With the beacon trashed by the purple sky/magnetic storm, there was no way to get back to the island so any story about the island could only be a story (ok, according to Benry, but still...)

Posted by: LostieLostie | April 5, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

One of the polar bear theories is that the bears were part of whatever experiment was going on at the Others' village (in the cages where Kate and Sawyer were kept) but had since been released into the wild outside the fences..... Not sure if that's the real reason for their existence, and I know there was some question as to whether Walt was able to "conjure" up the bear (although the plot line about Walt's paranormal abilities seems to have long ago been abandoned), but that's all I can remember for now.

Posted by: Lost at Work | April 5, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if anyone else saw a possible connection between Kate's "friend" in her flashback, and the fact that this woman was conned by some guy. Could this guy possibly have been Sawyer? We know Sawyer has been known to do just this type of thing. In the flashback Kate said she wanted to help her new friend get back at the guy. Might be another Kate/Sawyer past tie-in coming up.

Posted by: A. Cook | April 5, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

If you saw the "Previously on Lost" recap right before the episode, they pretty much spelled out that the woman Kate was hanging with was the same woman Sawyer conned. They replayed a few of her scenes from old flashbacks to remind us cause that is a hard catch :)

Posted by: hello neuman | April 5, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

A. Cook, Cassidy used to by Sawyer's girlfriend and partnered with him on the "long con." The episode was called the Long Con and aired last year.

Posted by: Estef | April 5, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Jeffer,

I didn't remember that. And I'm pretty sure most of the people writing recaps, (from Celebritology to Entertainment Weekly to BuddyTV) have been referencing Kate's crime incorrectly by saying she killed her step-father.

Posted by: isaidmoreham | April 5, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Jack showed he thinks he is a leader by telling Sayid that Juliet was going with them, staring Sayid down. Back at home, Hurley is grooming Sawyer to be a leader, and Sawyer seems pleased with his new role and this new power, being a nice leader, can bring him. I suppose next week's epi will be based on Jack returning and the two fighting for the throne, with Juliet/Kate fighting to be queen. Its starting to get predictable.

And why oh why leave suburbia?!? Houses, refrigerators, electricity, and lots of unexplored things which may help get them off the island. No, they are just going to walk away and go back to live a hard life on the beach? Just the fact that they have showers would be enough to stay. They should have planned to stay and explore, then send Kate/Sayid back to the beach to move everyone to suburbia. The writers really have me wondering why they think we will swallow the obvious wrong decisions and missed opportunities. But I have to admit, I'm hooked. Its a love/hate realtionship (love the characters and plotline, hate the writers).

Posted by: Sully | April 5, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ripley | April 5, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Even though he was her biological father, Kate considered Wayne to be her step-father because she was raised by Sam Austen.

Posted by: anon | April 5, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking that the Others are definitely not gone from their village, so the Losties correctly figured they would be back and got out of there! It seems obvious from the fact that Juliet was one of the people leaving with the gas mask (good catch gordo!) and then she turns up in the forest with Kate, supposedly gassed as well, that the Others's departure is definitely not what it seems. (There is, I guess, the possibility that Juliet tried to leave with them, but then they turned her down at the last minute...) If I were the Losties, I would be out of there too... Though I might have grabbed a hot shower first, lol.

Posted by: hello neuman | April 5, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

"OK, now that the others are gone, the first thing we need to do is leave this village with shelter, electricity, running water, and a fence to protect us from the smoke monster and go back to living on the beach. Kate, did you ask Juliet any useful questions, like who the others are while you were handcuffed to her? No? Good. Let's keep it that way. Nobody ask her anything important. Let's go."

Posted by: Jack Shpeherd | April 5, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't think that Juliet was one of the people putting on gas masks. There was a blond haired woman wearing a blue shirt, but her hair was way to short to be Juliet.

Posted by: LostieLostie | April 5, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Why does Locke say, "They told me what you did?"

I think she did something other than kill her stepfather... he was a jerk, and the only person who cared was her mom. Did she kill her mom too?

Posted by: Julie | April 5, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of whether or not Juliet was seen leaving with the Others, when have we EVER been able to take what the Others do or say at face value??? I'm sure they're not gone. Granted, Jack did make a comment that they should take what they could that would be useful, but then they immediately left without robbing the place... maybe they'll return with larger packs next episode to raid the place :)

Posted by: bossy losty | April 5, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

The smoke monster was outside the fence line, not inside. When Juliet activates the pylon, she did not deactivate it afterward, as they continued on to the compund.

Posted by: LostieLostie | April 5, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Also, didn't we already know, or wasn't it hinted at, that Sawyer is a father, in a flashback where Sawyer is visited in prison by his lady-friend who helped Kate out last night?

Posted by: Julie | April 5, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Hot Showers is right.
Logically; as soon as Sayyid and Jack get back to the losties ( Sawyer's leadership is temporary ) they would round them all up and take them back to Other Village which would become Lostie Village. Indoor PLumbing-no more hiding behind a bush in the jungle ( Oh! excuse me Kate! - [ Sawyer ] ). But the writer's aren't always logical!?--Kate's penchant for getting caught by the Others in small patrol groups ( We're getting tired of capturing you Kate!?- [ Henry ] ).
Also Claire is a daughter of Jack's father-- If Jack and Claire had hooked up - it would be a case of Oh my Gosh! -You're My Sister!! Oh!! OH!!![ - out of Joe Dirt ]
Having blown the battle with the Losties ( by capturing 3 patrols! and then releasing or allowing them to escape ) Henry has lost Other Village-So he may need Locke in order to shore up his leadership. Jack, on the other hand has gained a Ryan Homes community for the Losties!! OBviously the Others would have had fresh water near the village for it to function long term. The cameras in the houses-they can all have their wires cut and small chips hadn't been invented yet in the 70's for spying. Jack could leave one camera set up; so he could send flash signs to Henry and the others like "WE'RE COMING TO GET YOU" .
Locke is the Ubber-man. The Island having cured his paralysis; he is now a demi-god of the forest savage. The Others accepted him, because they didn't know Locke had killed the Rooskie. Too late Henry will realize that Locke is taking over and he hasn't the Others scruples. Charlie is desparately being re-habilitated by the writers- Hurley slapping him like Locke--but Charlie doesn't attempt to kill Hurley! Charlie participating in the Van ride.
Charlie still is reponsible for getting Locke and Desmond to stop entering the key code; which almost ended everything in a black hole explosion. Desmond should stop trying to save Charlie's life and realize that it was Charlie who afflicted him with knowing the future. Locke is infinitely more interesting than Charlie.

Posted by: NoCharlie | April 5, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

This spring's episodes have all been great fun in my book.

The security code: was indeed 16 23
Fence question: How could Juliet know for sure it was off? It makes sense that if they all left, it would be off, especially since the control panel was on the inside...But wouldn't you test first? That makes me think that maybe it was off when Patchy was thrown into it to - I had been skeptical about the theory that he crunched down on a cyanide capsule, but maybe he did? Still doesn't explain the bleeding ears, though. And if I knew that the fence would make my head explode, I would definitely not trust that it was off.

"They told me what you did": My take on that was that Locke has so many daddy issues that burning a father figure alive would be a big no no in his book (and hopefully in most people's). If Locke also still believes that he is a good guy, and the island tests him (just as life always has), he may have decided that Kate has failed her tests. Then there is always the brainwashing aspect...

Waking up in the jungle: I couldn't tell if Juliet had truly woken up out there as well, or had staged that whole aspect. It seems pretty transparent if it was indeed staged. My bigger question: Kate (and Juliet?) were gassed, woke up, spent a night under a tree, hiked through the jungle, and got back to the village in time to give Jack a little shake and wake him up. Why would he still be knocked out that long after them?

Posted by: Don't Fence Me In | April 5, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I just watched the gas-mask scene again (thank god for naptime for babies), and I really really REALLY don't think that you see Juliet putting on a mask. The woman in the foreground is wearing blue, and is blond and her face is not pointing toward the camera, but unless Juliet took the time after everyone was gassed to get some extensions, it cannot be her.

Posted by: LostieLostie | April 5, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"I'm wondering if the pregnant scam artist girl Kate hooked up with in her flashback was talking about Sawyer.....the boyfriend that stole her life savings and left her pregnant but she still loves him. If that's the case, it'll be interesting to see what Kate does when she finds out

Posted by: ripley | April 5, 2007 01:25 PM"

Asked and answered already, more than once.

Posted by: mark | April 5, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Well, I have to admit last night's show was a tad more interesting than the last 4 weeks or so.

But Hurley's mind game with Sawyer was hilarious, I have to say!!!!

Why did the "others" bother to gas the place. Why couldn't they have just tied them all up, put them somewhere special and left them? It's not making sense now. What was the point? To get to wear gas masks???? Dumb.

And if the Others had an electric fence up to contain the monster, does that mean that he losties are in the monster's territory?

Typical of the way the writers waste our time is the "hint" we got from Kate's interaction with the woman whose boyfriend had done her wrong. Hmmmm.... would that boyfriend be one of the Losties? Or not? Sawyer? or not? Why not just finish the story right then and there...... too many hints and not enuf answers make a BORING SHOW.

Posted by: pinky | April 5, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know what happened to the second island that the cages were located on? No one mentions it now, even though that seemed to be the headquarters at the time. Miraculously all of the Others have been transported to the main island. How did that happen? Did I miss something?
-Matt

Posted by: Matt | April 5, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

"Typical of the way the writers waste our time is the "hint" we got from Kate's interaction with the woman whose boyfriend had done her wrong. Hmmmm.... would that boyfriend be one of the Losties? Or not? Sawyer?"
She's been in another episode with Sawyer, the Long Con. That wasn't a hint, it was there to tie Kate & Sawyer's pre-island pasts. Pretty cool.

"But here is the BIGGEST mystery of all: Why is Hurley still so fat? Duhhhhh...... The producers made a BIIIIG mistake letting him keep on all of that extra weight in a situation where they are fairly short of food. Takes a lot of calories to maintain that girth. Do twinkies grow in the jungle?"
No, but Dharma provides them. There has been no shortage of food, and we've already seen Hurley sneaking away and hoarding food. And it's only been three months on the island, and for some people weight isn't tied to how much food you eat.

Posted by: not pinky | April 5, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Polars bear theory: as I recall, in one of the earliest episodes Walt (who the Others saw as some sort of psychic) was looking at one of Hurley's Spanish-language comic books, and fixed momentarily upon a drawing of an angry polar bear. Ties in with the theory that he conjured it out of his imagination, which ties in with Benry's comments about the place on the island that brings what you want to see in reality.... (Or maybe not. At least it brings a lot of loose ends together.)

Posted by: thrh | April 5, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

For Lost at Work (outsourced from lostpedia.com): "The 4 digit code that Juliet types in is 1623 (also: 1+6-2+3=8)."

Also for lostpedia: "Wayne Janssen was Kate's biological father, though he was likely unaware of this. He beat Kate's mother Diane, was an alcoholic, and made sexual advances toward Kate (which she vehemently rebuffed). He was killed by Kate when she blew up his house."

Posted by: Not Shlomo | April 5, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

1. Hurley - It's only been 90 days on the island. Even if Hurley has lost 20-30 pounds, on a guy his size it doesn't show as much. Also, the Losties have been living off the Dharma food dump. Hurley has been snacking on all the peanut butter and mac'n'cheese he can handle.

2. The Others gassing the place - I have no idea why they didn't just tie everyone up, but I'm sure the writers have a reason.... Big things like that *ususally* come around with an explanation

3. Smokey - Juliet told Kate: "We don't know what it is, but we know it doesn't like our fences." That led me to believe that the fence was not originally put up to keep the smoke monster out, but for some other reason. And Yes, it appears the Losties are in Smoke Monster Territory. Ref: Mr. Eko, Locke, Kate&Juliet hiding in the tree and all seeing the smoke monster..

4. There is NO mystery that Sawyer is that baby's daddy. See Mark's comments: "Asked and answered already, more than once."

Posted by: party pooper pinky | April 5, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

We need a flashback with Smokey the Monster.

Posted by: theslinger | April 5, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Think Smokey has daddy issues too?

Posted by: GH | April 5, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Last night's episode sucked. Sorry, not to put to find a point on it, but this show is like the girlfriend you know you should break up with but you still have a great time with every now and again (like the Desmond flashback episode, best of the season IMO) and think maybe, JUST MAYBE, you can get that spark back. They need to commit to a 4th season and then end it. All the obscure references to other website tie-ins doesn't do much for casual viewers who are not obsessives. We have other things to do with our lives Mr. Lindelof, just spell it out for us please. Thanks

Posted by: Still Stranded on Lost Island | April 5, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

If the only way to find the island is through a underwater beacon that can only be detected by their submarine, how is an airplane capable of doing a food drop?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 5, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Related to whether Juliet was seen wearing a gas mask: when Jack woke up from being gassed, why would he have asked Kate if Juliet was with her?

Why would he assume Juliet hadn't left with the Others, or more specifically, how would he know the Others had left if he was 'suddenly' gassed? He must have already known of a plan afoot by the Others, no?

Surely Jack and Juliet are in cahoots.

Oh, and from the FWIW department, there was talk earlier here this season regarding the future: the name of the typeface used for the show title and credits is Futura.

Posted by: marvin_sweatsock | April 5, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Well, since I had justed read the review and then posted my comment within the last 20 min., I had not read the previous "insights" re: Sawyer until I checked just now. Sorry

Posted by: ripley | April 5, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

No one ever heard the air drop. They just presumed it was an air drop. If you have ever seen one, the plane has to fly in low and slow, and makes a heck of a lot of noise. Why did no one ever hear it?

Perhaps the "food drop" was just hurley's black box manifestation...

Posted by: LostieLostie | April 5, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

food drop or not, recently or a long time ago, the point is, is that Hurley has been snacking.

Posted by: ppp | April 5, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Marvin:

Kate told Jack the others all left. Jack then asked, "even Juliet?"

Remember and Juliet were about five minutes away from being off the island, and both were pretty happy to be going.

Also, recall that Jack made another deal to save her life -- killing one of your Other pals probably didn't win her many friends in the compound. I think he'd be pretty surprised if she had gone with them.

Posted by: LostieLostie | April 5, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

---Perhaps the "food drop" was just hurley's black box manifestation...---

Good one! I like this idea. And Jen has no trouble catching fish, other people find water, fruit, other food. The island provides... Wasn't it Hurley that found the first food drop?

One theory on The Fuselage BB is that the Others left due to Locke convincing Ben that he was not healing because he was not living on the island and communing with the island, but instead was living in suburbia with all the comforts of home. If Ben believes this he likely ordered the Others to leave to find a more communal existance with the island and Locke would agree to go because that's his thing. My thought is that they would go to the primitive village Jack/Kate/Hurley and Sawyer were captured at when the sky turned purple and Michael/Walt were set free.

Posted by: Sully | April 5, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

OK, Juliette is a spy. She had a knife visibly in her pocket and a key to the cuffs, both of which you would assume would have been confiscated in a search before leaving them out there. That, and she has built a relationship with jack that the others know they can exploit AND, while i haven't gone back and checked, apparently she was toting a mask earlier in the episode.

I am with sayid on this one and am looking forward to his interrogation.

Where did locke and the others go? I am suspecting an unknown hatch on the island that juliette with eventually lead us to.

All in all i think the show is doing well and questions are being answered as characters are fleshed out, I cannot ask for much more. until next week...

Posted by: J-Mart | April 5, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

J-Mart:

Recall the scene right after smokey hit the fence. Kate was pissed that Juliet had a key, and Juliet's defense was, "I was left behind by the others, and I didnt want to be left behind by you (and Jack and Sayid)"

This would suggest that she toted Kate out to the jungle in order to befriend her (hence she knew the fence was off). Are her motives suspect? Sure, but not because the knife and key are telling us something.

Posted by: LostieLostie | April 5, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Why wouldn't Juliet have just cuffed herself to Jack instead?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 5, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: a. nony mouse | April 5, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

didn't kate have an earlier flashback were she was engaged to some guy (think she was still on the lam) and they had buried something under a tree and then he was killed trying to help her escape when she was found out? maybe he was a cop?

Posted by: b | April 5, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

WHERE DID THE FRENCH GAL (ROUSSO) GO !!!!!!!

Posted by: wonderwoman | April 5, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

---locke gained a lot of his tracking skills from hunting with his dad, aka the man from tallahassee---

Yea. I can forsee an epi where Locke and his dad are buddies again, living of the island with the Others, then somehow comes into contact with Sawyer, who recognizes Locke's dad as the man who screwed Sawyer, and goes after him, setting Locke and Sawyer in a confrontation. Of course Ben will be manipulating that for some unknown reason.

Lets see, what else are the losties up against. Kate will figure out Sawyer is the one who conned the women she befriended in the flashback who helped her find her mother, setting up Kate against Sawyer. That means Kate will try to kill Sawyer who will try to kill Locke's dad who Locke will try to protect. Is this show getting predictable or what? And when for crying out loud is Penny going to arrive with the marines? I'm ready to see a full land invasion of Lost Island with Smokey taking a missle down its throat blowing it into a million pieces (or a million smokeys). Is my frustration showing?

Posted by: Sully | April 5, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Penny is due to be in the episode airing April 18th.

Posted by: Fairfax | April 5, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

April 18th is marked on my calendar. Everything else that day is canceled.
Go Penny!

Posted by: Sully | April 5, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Of course it could just be another flashback with Penny...who knows! Hopefully we will find out some good info in the coming weeks!

Posted by: Fairfax | April 5, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who saw the submarine sail in the coming attractions for next week? Plain as day. And it looked like it was back on the other side of the island. No way Locke blew it up. So, the Others still have it, and can go to their little auxillary island, or away never to return - though we wouldn't have much of a show if they did.

I liked it, though I have about had it with Kate and her whining emotional reactions to everything. That woman needs to think about things a little more or stop making trouble. And, from a character standpoint, it was nice to see Sawyer being "nice. Even though he's doing it with ulterior motives. I think Hurley's the real leader there now, but he needs a mouthpiece because he doesn't have a great public persona, and he knows he can manipulate Sawyer.

Posted by: Dave | April 5, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I definitely saw the submarine in the preview. I just assumed it was part of what Juliet would reveal, as it seemed like they were showing other flashbacks, like with Ethan.

Posted by: Fairfax | April 5, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Not being the "savages" the Losties are ( like Sayyid, Kate when she is aggravated, Locke [ although the Others don't know Locke killed the Russian ], Jack ) the Others are doomed to lose to them. Running away to another part of the Island or to the "test facility" island isn't going to do any good; because the Losties will eventually find you and Sayyid has the experience to get the truth of everything out of them. As a species the Others are on the way to extinction; unless they get a sudden air drop of 300 Other reinforcements. 100 or so Losties can always beat up on 50 or so Others.

Posted by: Rousseau | April 5, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

OK, I think we need a handy FAQ here, because lots of posters seem to be discarding facts willy-nilly.

-There are only about 40 fuselage survivors left from the crash, so if there were 50 Others they'd be outnumbered...

-Locke straight-up told Ben he killed Mikhail.

-And the sub clip is definitely from Juliet's flashback, as the writers have said we're not going to see the continuation of the Locke/Others storyline until the beginning of May.

My expectation for next week: We'll learn about how Juliet was integrated into the Others, learn a few juicy tidbits, then find out she doesn't know anything resembling the big picture.

We'll learn to trust her based on her flashbacks, but no one on the beach will, so the writers make us relate to her and hope she can be accepted...

Posted by: isaidmoreham | April 5, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

With Jack/Claire bro/sis, and the Sawyer/Locke/kate connections, when this is over, I expect one big family reunion on the beach!

Posted by: dr | April 5, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I was just reminded that when Locke faced down the smoke and saw what he called "the face of the island" it was presented to him in a bright light... much like the light that Juliet was faced with by the smoke. I don't have the footage to review, but I feel like I remember the scene where Juliet is in Smokey's light that Kate is facing away, but Juliet stares right at it?

Soooo, the question is, who does Smokey reserve his bright light/good for and who sees his dark/evil side? Do all the Others see the light, and thus John was always destined to be an Other? Jacob's List? Is it significant? Maybe I'm just going off in my own head here...

Posted by: hello neuman | April 5, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I've been looking at several boards, so I don't know if anyone mentioned it here.

BUT...

The Lost storyline is getting dangerously close to Dec. 26, 2004, the day of the tsunami. Apparently last night's episode took place on Dec. 13.

I'm not entirely sure how I'd feel if they were to write in such a plot point. Sometimes I prefer to keep real-life events and fictional worlds separate, as it forces you to think too much about plausability and makes it harder to suspend disbelief.

But, it would be interesting if the beach crew were to pack up and move to Othersville, only to return and find the beach destroyed.

Food for thought...

Posted by: isaidmoreham | April 5, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

thanks isaidmoreham !
I was getting so irritated with the misinformation.

Posted by: Don Consoliere | April 5, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

It seems that neither of our celebritologists reads cheesy apocalyptic literature, such as the Left Behind series, whcih has sold gazillions of copies. The Left Behind series takes all the so called future sayings of the Bible and tries to mix and mash them up to one coherent whole. Anyhow, after the rapture, when the good are taken from the earth, there continues to be a battle between Satan and God for the souls left on the earth. So if you weren't born again, or you have exhibited serious moral flaws, you stay behind. That is why Locke's comment to Kate about them knowing all about her was so important. According to the Left Behind series, there will still be salvation for some of those who did not make the first cut if they recognize the error of their ways and fight evil in the days to come.

Perhaps that is what the show is trying to do - which of these flawed characters is going to find redemption? (Under the Left Behind thesis, none of them will and are all probably destined for the fiery pits of Hell unless they meet the born again standards, but clearly that overt an expression of Christianity is not going to occur, nor should it.)

FWIW.

Matt

Posted by: T Town | April 5, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Crikey. Don't comment if you haven't seen the episodes or at least read these comments.

I agree that Sayid is never wrong about people, and I think Juliet is a pretty obvious liar. Also, I hate her awful nose job.

Posted by: Sawyer | April 5, 2007 8:32 PM | Report abuse

One connection I have not seen being made in relation to Sawyer/Locke is their mutual "Daddy" issues. I know people are making the "Man from Tallahassee" as original "Sawyer" connection and I think that is all but corroborated at this point but if you take that a step further. What if "Man from Tallahassee"/"Original Sawyer"/Locke's Dad IS James "Sawyer" Ford's dad!

We know from Sawyers early Boar induced flashback that Sawyers "father" shot himself on James' bed (without the knowledge that James was hiding underneath) after killing his biological mother. Why not just kill the woman that cheated on you and lost all your money? Why kill yourself and leave a "biological son" orphaned behind? Why make such a statement in your death about a child that is yours? Why not just kill yourself in the living room? Why not try and kidnap him and run away to start a new life?

However if this man discovers that not only did the con man steal your wife, steal your money, but also "stole" the belief that James is your flesh and blood, that would leave you NOTHING in life, and desperate to make a statement.

So I say "Man from Tallahassee" IS James Ford's biological father. This could all be the result of a "long" con on the part of "Man from Tallahassee". Maybe an early con, a career mile-stone at the time, we really don't know what James's family was worth or who they may have been.

Now James "Sawyer" Ford may not have known this fact when he wrote the letter as a young man. By finding this fact out later in life it could certainly amp up the motivation on James "Sawyer" Ford's part to kill original "Sawyer"/"Man from Tallahassee". This really would mirror Kate's life.

Also, this would really frame/re-frame how James "Sawyer" Ford approaches his own "long" con offspring, Clementine. Until last night I wasn't sure if his ex-girlfriend was trying to con him or if it was real. Well after last night it is real, as she has no reason to try to con Kate with that fact.

Sawyer has demonstrated a lot of self-hate. He has clearly lamented, to Kate I believe, that he has become the man he hates. He took on the man's name for crying out loud, that goes way deeper than the result of becoming a con man yourself. That is a result of questioning the very essence of nature vs. nurture and fate vs. free-will. These are core themes of Lost.

The other cool question raised by Sawyer/Locke that piqued my curiosity as I read through the comments here. What if "Man from Tallahassee" was James "Sawyer" Ford's wish from the box, and NOT Locke's!

Posted by: Joel R | April 5, 2007 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why everyone seems so down on the flashbacks. I liked last night's flashback in that it revealed why Kate was doing the things in the current time of the episode. Although since she seemed to come to a realization that her altruistic actions are mainly self-centered, I worry about her survival. It does seem that when characters area able to face their demons their time on the island is not long.

Speaking of demons - or the Monster - the thing I found most disturbing about last night's episode was the "revelation" that the Others don't know what the smoke monster is. Assuming this is true - and one never seems to know what to believe when it comes out of the Others' mouths - then that means that the Smoke Monster is not a creation/tool of the Others or the Dharma crew but rather predates to an earlier period. This would seem to tie the Smoke Monster in with the people who built the four-toed statue. This would also seem to suggest that the Monster is an older force of nature that perhaps has to do with the Island's strange magnetic properties. I'm not sure if the reason I find this unsettling is that the "reveal" throws my pet theories out the window or that the ideal of a dark smoky primeval force is stalking the Island is really extremely disturbing.

Posted by: dre7861 | April 5, 2007 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Maybe when Locke said to Kate, "They told me what you did..forgiveness isn't one of their strong suits," he wasn't talking about Kate blowing up her dad at all. Maybe, he's refering to Kate breaking Jack's heart. We know that the Others are doing some sort of genetic experiments, or trying to breed a super-human, or whatever. And maybe they had identified a Jack/Kate union as a good match for their experiments. So Kate royally p-ed them off when she went and got all freaky with Sawyer.

Posted by: jw | April 6, 2007 9:04 AM | Report abuse

if you go to the Hanso website and view the source code you see a website for http://www.rachelblake.com/
and when you go ot that site you see a link to Hansoexposed.com.

what's with that?

Posted by: jg | April 6, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if anyone is still reading this, but I'll post this for the record.

It looks to me like the woman leaving with the Others is a carefully placed red herring, not Juliet. Juliet is wearing a light blue hooded top with a low neckline and slits cut at the side, which she wears over her jeans (both when serving lunch to Kate and when they later wake up in the forest together).

The woman leaving with the Others is wearing the same color top as Juliet. Her top is tucked into her jeans, and she is wearing her hair in a pony tail which is tucked down inside the back of her shirt. Her face is turned away from us, other than one side glance which I couldn't get anything out of. She is wearing a backpack and a gun in a holster on her right hip.

Looks to me like they wanted to make it hard for us to tell for sure, since they've made her clothing, hair and general appearance almost indistinguishable from Juliet and they're hiding her face. What tips the scale for me is that Juliet always wears her top outside her jeans, even when she's crashing through the undergrowth in the pouring rain.

Wow, even I can't believe I just spent the time to look this up...

Posted by: Steve | April 6, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Doubt anyone will read this, but...

Sayid tends to be right in his impressions about people, but I don't think there are any examples of him actually extracting the information he wants from those he tortures on the island.

I believe he pummeled sawyer back in season one, and sawyer didn't talk. The same with Benry.

So I don't think anyone should expect Sayid to extract any truth from Juliet...

Posted by: LostieLostie | April 6, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Food drop: no it's not Hurley's wish. The Flame station had a binder all about the "Food Drop Protocol."

And no one said that the beacon was only visible from a submarine, did they?

Hansoexposed, rachel blake, etc...:All part of a game that took place last summer called "The Lost Experience". It's over now. Go to Lostpedia.com and check out "the lost experience" for all the backstory that was revealed during the game.

Posted by: clearing some things up | April 11, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse