Posted at 7:28 AM ET, 04/23/2007

Morning Mix: Baldwin Apologizes for Voicemail Rant

By Liz Kelly

Headlines: Jack Nicholson celebrates 70th year with 70 babes... Iggy Pop celebrates 60th with stagedive... Sanjaya rocks the White House Correspondents Dinner as Karl Rove clashes with Laurie David and Sheryl Crow... Madonna ends six-day Malawi visit (without seeing David Banda's father)... Chevy Chase details childhood abuse in new book... Oliver Stone to direct anti-war ad... U2's The Edge buys $15 million Malibu property... Courtney Love says she was addicted to perfection... Amy Winehouse engaged... Eric Bana crashes during Tasmanian car race...

British Airways cuts Richard Branson from in-flight film... Brad Pitt signs on to Coen brothers' comedy.

Rumor Mill: Angelina Jolie sues to block "Shiloh" perfume... Paris Hilton has no idea where she is... Keira Knightley "furious" with Lindsay Lohan for pulling out of movie... Queen Elizabeth to name Prince Philip royal consort on the couple's 60th anniversary.

Shut Your Mouth!
"I'm sorry, as everyone who knows me is aware, for losing my temper with my child. I have been driven to the edge by parental alienation for many years now. You have to go through this to understand. (Although I hope you never do.) I am sorry for what happened. But I am equally sorry that a court order was violated, which had deliberately been put under seal in this case." -- Alec Baldwin in a statement published on TMZ.com

"I don't wake up every morning and lick my reflection off the mirror. But hey, show me a musician who isn't caught up in himself." -- Fall Out Boy bassist Pete Wentz

By Liz Kelly  | April 23, 2007; 7:28 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday List: A Little Help for Sanjaya
Next: Comment Box: A Little More Alec Baldwin

Comments

Conspicuously absent from the Crow/David-Rove exchange is any reportage of what he actually said. Apart from his one comment, this is total one-sided editorializing by Crow/David.

Posted by: Stick | April 23, 2007 8:56 AM | Report abuse

2000 women, huh? He'll have to do a lot better to catch up with Wilt Chamberlain. I found this morning's mix to be very upsetting. For example, if The Edge has $15 million to spend on a house in Malibu, why does he need to help raise money for musicians who lost their instruments in New Orleans as a result of the hurricane and floods? Wouldn't $15 million buy a lot of instruments? Maybe more than one per musician? If he already has a house in Ireland and one in France, couldn't he spend a little less on the one in Cali, or maybe just purchase a flat? And what has Prince Philip been all these years if not a Royal Consort?

Posted by: methinks | April 23, 2007 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I believe "Prince Consort" is much higher in rank than "Duke". The article says that the last Prince Consort was Prince Albert who was Queen Victoria's husband.
It's actually pretty interesting...think I'll do a little research on the internet later.

Posted by: Barb | April 23, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse

"EQUALLY sorry that a court order was violated"? Unabated narcissism.

Posted by: Tom T. | April 23, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Stone does good work. I enjoy most of his movies. But I really fail to see why he's making the commercials. Ignoring the fact that the war controvery horse has been beaten well past it's death (that poor horse must be flat as a pancake now) Oliver has alwasy been one to get fame and fortune from making movies about certain events several years afterwards (i.e. Platoon)

Posted by: BF | April 23, 2007 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I don't care who is in the new Coen Brothers movie since the news of a new Coen Brothers movie is news enough for me.

I can't wait!

Posted by: Bored @ work | April 23, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

my point was that Prince Philip is already a "Prince" and a "Consort" (one with whom another one canoodles; husband, wife, companion) thus, the title Prince Consort seems redundant. But maybe it means a raise, which is always welcome.

Posted by: methinks | April 23, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Ummm Alec.... that is NOT an apology... that is a rationalation. And not a good one. Seek counseling... forever.. begin.

Posted by: Ugh | April 23, 2007 9:43 AM | Report abuse

excuse me...Royal Consort. clearly i'm out of my element.

Posted by: methinks | April 23, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

The only thing Alec is sorry for is the public heard what kind of father he actually is and it has impacted his career in a negative way. If you are in the process of an ugly custody battle why would you leave such a hateful message??

Posted by: Sharon | April 23, 2007 9:49 AM | Report abuse

"Life & Style has learned that both Shiloh, 11 months, and mom Angelina Jolie, 31, have filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to block Hors Lá Monde Corp., a jewelry-design and fragrance company, from naming its latest perfume Shiloh."

This is so absurd. She doesn't own that name.

Posted by: Irish girl | April 23, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Why isn't Kim Basinger sorry for releasing the tape? I am not making excuses for Alec Baldwin, but I also had a mother that tried to poison me against my father, I can understand his frustration, unfortunately for that little girl she won't realize until she's older who her real parent is. The one who left the message, or the one who released it to the public.

Posted by: dym | April 23, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Irish Girl: you ought to see the paperwork she filed against Shiloh National Military Park (TN, MS), Shiloh Industries (OH), and the city of ancient Shiloh (Israel).

Posted by: Ken | April 23, 2007 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Ha ha, she is crazy! The world doesn't revolve around her. She is not even Jewish so why does she think that name holds some kind of special meaning for her and no one else?

Posted by: Irish girl | April 23, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

wouldn't it be ironic if it was alec and kim's daughter that released the voice message? I know she's 11, but would serve her dad right if it came out that she did that...

Posted by: anon | April 23, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Shiloh her actaul biological kid? The one Bard accused her of ignoring? See, this is just to show how much she cares. This is how actors show their love.

Posted by: Stick | April 23, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

This Alec thing is totally overblown. Seek counseling? Gimme a break. He yelled at his daughter for being a little a*hole and violating a court order -- parents are allowed to discipline their kids. If I had a nickel for eveytime my parents told me they would straighten my _ss out, I wouldnt be in an office right now. Please, he got angry, but at least he cares enough to enforce some rules and parameters on his kid. It seems he doesn't want her growing up a spoiled brat. Give the guy a break - it's a tough situation.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 23, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure Ashlee Simpson has some self-esteem issues, but what does she sees in Fall-out Boy's Peter Wentz is beyond me. The guy is a loser in black eyeliner.

Posted by: Lisa1 | April 23, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

There is nothing I like about Baldwin, not his acting or his public persona but... that v-msg should never have been made public and the ONLY one he owes an apology to is his daughter and I don't need to know if he has or has not done so. I think this subject was over the top discussed last Friday and it just needs to be let go!

Now lets talk about some real gossip, like when is Angelina Jolie going to Trademark her daughters name. Then she can start sueing all those parents who named their babies Shiloh after her daughters because there are always those copycat namers.

Posted by: MF | April 23, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

i love MF for his/her comment re: the baldwin vm fracas. enuf already.
can't we discuss why ms knightly is "furious" w/ lohan about backing out of a movie that clearly would have set her up for life?

Posted by: methinks | April 23, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

To add to the Sheryl Crow crazy train, I read an item today where she's urging (pun intended) everyone to cut their toilet paper usage to one square per visit, or 2-3 max (somewhere Elaine Benes is having a sh*tfit), and suggests wiping one's mouth on one's sleeve instead of using paper napkins. I used to like her...now she's too Hollyweird.

Posted by: 23112 | April 23, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I kind of liked the KK/LiLo imbroglio (how's that? Just before 'insouciant' in some dictionaries...). I like how the proposed "three-way sex scene" seems to take over the article at the end.

Movie sounds like rot, but I'm sure that had nothing to do with LiLo's decision not to participate... A stitch in time?

Posted by: Bogota | April 23, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Shiloh is also the name of a bloody civil war battle (the Battle of Shiloh) in southwestern TN, as well as the names of the military park and cemetary (Shiloh National Military Park and Shiloh National Cemetary). Someone needs to give Angelina a clue!

Posted by: Not Angelina | April 23, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Not to be trusted with children. Like her other highly successful Hollywoodstain contemporaries, who have no compunction about publisizing thier eminent disdain on any social issue, it should be remembered that ol Kim Klit fer Brainz became famous for publically diddling herself in a magazine. Sung to the tune of Just when she thought her chance would pass, she put her tongue right up her rhymes with pass.

Posted by: Ula Flat | April 23, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

"imbroglio" great word choice!

Posted by: Bogota | April 23, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

According to the article on Smilin' Jack's B-Day bash, the GBP100,000 he paid for the birds is equal to $950,000. Yeah? On whose planet? The talentless hacks who write this crap not only play fast and loose with the facts of the story - they invent whole new monetary systems!

Posted by: Math: It's not just for accountants | April 23, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Could we see a show of hands from all those who think the perfume company is seeking to profit from association with a bloody Civil War battle? Okay, now hands from those who think the marketing concept is the sexy scents of the Old Testament? For you Angelina bashers, wouldn't it be more time saving if Liz just put in a permanent link to a photo of Angelina as Mrs. Smith? Then you could throw in your daily dose of Jolie hate without having to comment on a complicated legal issue.

Posted by: Jennifer A. | April 23, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Jennifer A.

You need to read the article that explains the perfume and why they want to name it Shiloh... It has nothing to do with a battle or ANYTHING USA, here is an segment of the article:

"An insider close to the designer says the perfume has been in development in France for two years -- and that Salimpour did not name the perfume after Angie and Brad Pitt's love child. "The name is completely unrelated," the insider says. "Symine is citizen of both France and Israel, but she identifies strongly with her Israeli roots -- it's a spiritual thing for her. Shiloh is a Hebrew name that means 'his gift.'""

Posted by: MF | April 23, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

MF.

Nice post. You gave all of us the true meaning behind the Shiloh perfume name.

Angelina:

A quick Google search on the word "Shiloh" returns 6,910,000 references as of 4-23-2007 @ 1:12 PM, Eastern time.

I hope your attorney is on retainer and you are not paying by the hour.

Posted by: SoMD | April 23, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Sheryl Crow will consent to independent monitoring of her toilet paper usage to see that she maintains her high standards? Now that her global warming tour is ending she will have more time to come up with more creative ideas to save the planet. I know I, for one, will sleep better tonight.

Posted by: Stick | April 23, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

my grandmother had that toilet paper idea decades ago. we just thought she was being cheap, but now we find out she was all about saving the planet.
sorry grandma.

Posted by: methinks | April 23, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Salimpour is a liar and a scoundrel. Brad and Angelina's child is an angelic child born to a beatific family. Hors Lá Monde was attempting to capitalize on the style and sophistication that people naturally associate with Angelina Jolie and her consort.

Posted by: Jennifer A | April 23, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I have no love for Karl Rove, but I don't think I want to be touched by Smelly-Sheryl, the one-sheet-of-toilet-paper gal either.

Posted by: soso | April 23, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I reserve my right to conserve toilet paper as I see fit, but I'll still gladly support anyone who reminds, graciously or not, who Rove in fact works for.

Posted by: imrhyming | April 23, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

"MF is a pawn to think otherwise. We should all aspire to be a little more like Angelina Jolie, and to respect her wishes in this matter."
i'm beginning to think that jennifer a. was joking, maybe being sarcastic in her first post.

Posted by: methinks | April 23, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

maybe phyllis reynolds naylor can sue the homewrecker since she wrote the newberry award winner "shiloh" sometime ago.

Posted by: DES | April 23, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Well, if the perfume is going to be named Shiloh, I will buy it just because Angie didn't get her own way.

Posted by: Irish girl | April 23, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

The word which describes email messages about former American Idol contestants:

Spamjaya

Posted by: wordsmythe | April 23, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Spamjaya

Awesome!

Posted by: Irish girl | April 23, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

You know if Angelina Jolie had a vial of blood from every one of her kids and Brad too, she*d have like a gallon of the stuff around her neck. Not to mention enough tattoos to make her look like Dennis Rodman.

Posted by: Stick | April 23, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Proposed Friday list, guys?
Did y'all read Question Celebrity this Sunday? I've long theorized about which celebs are bound to stink. Unlike Stuever, I think SJP, with her fitness obsession and her cigarettes, must reek. Who else do you think stinks? Literally?

Posted by: other liz | April 23, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

In Manila, we suspect Angelina Jolie is actually a Mananangal. She keeps her brood of children near her, as well as her husband, so that she can stay young. She is always on the hunt for fresh children. She is actually far older than her "father," Jon Voight.

When our children misbehave, we warn them "What? You want Angelina Jolie to come and take you away?"

Posted by: Hindi Aswang | April 23, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Irish Girl, I'm buying it if Angie loses.

Posted by: Sharon | April 23, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Hindi Aswang - Excellent!!

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manananggal

A manananggal is described as being an older, beautiful woman (as opposed to an aswang), capable of severing its upper torso in order to fly into the night with huge bat-like wings to prey on unsuspecting, pregnant women in their homes; using an elongated proboscis-like tongue, it sucks the hearts of fetuses or blood of an unsuspecting, sleeping victim. The severed lower torso is left standing and it is said to be the more vulnerable of the two halves. Sprinkling salt or smearing crushed garlic or ash on top of the standing torso is fatal. The upper torso then would not be able to rejoin and will die at daybreak. The name of the creature originates from an expression used for a severed torso: Manananggal comes from the Tagalog, tanggal (cognate of Malay and Indonesian tanggal) which means to remove. Manananggal then means the one who removes.

A manananggal is also said to create other manananggals by tricking ordinary persons to drink the manananggal's saliva or blood, similar to the vampires' making an ordinary person to drink vampire blood.

Uh oh, it may be too late for Brad ...

Posted by: SoMD | April 23, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm making a nice paste of garlic, salt and ash in my food processor just in case Angie shows up. Great tip. Thanks!

Posted by: Barb | April 23, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Explains those vials of blood.

Posted by: STick | April 23, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

other liz, that idea stinks. I love it. BOOK IT!

Posted by: 23112 | April 23, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey - waitaminnit - that 11:38 was NOT me commenting on my own post. Not that it matters, but it matters to me.

Posted by: Bogota | April 23, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

What I heard in Alec Baldwin's voice when he was in his tirade to his daughter was not narcissism, but frustration. Clearly, the endless custody battle and the war being waged with their daughter as a pawn is getting to him. Calling an 11 year old girl a "fat" anything is kind of harsh, granted. It's a shame Kim Basinger will not let this be settled. Ireland will probably continue to be the middle of their "custody battle" until she's 18. It's more of a longevity competition at this point than a custody battle.

Posted by: Lori | April 23, 2007 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh. Bogota is arguing with himself again. After giving himself such a compliment, too.

Posted by: lll | April 23, 2007 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Lowest prices. http://www.titanium-fiko.com.ua/pages/e_index.htm Titanium Bars Ingots Tubes [URL=http://www.titanium-fiko.com.ua/index.htm]titanium sheets[/URL] !

Posted by: titanium | April 26, 2007 10:35 PM | Report abuse