Posted at 1:29 PM ET, 05/23/2007

'Lost' Finale Countdown

By Liz Kelly

In which our season-long "Lost" watchers, Liz and Jen, handicap tonight's season finale.

Liz: I'm told the world is abuzz about the season finale of some tacky sing-song show on Fox tonight. But we know where the people who expect more out of primetime TV than a British guy with a bad attitude (We've got two. Nyah!) will be -- watching the two-hour "game changing" season finale of "Lost" tonight at 9 p.m. ET.

There are tons of sites out there spoiling the experience with leaked details. I'm not looking. How about you, Jen?

Jen: I've done the peek-and-run -- looked at spoilers for a sec, then dashed away because I don't want to ruin everything. I still want my holy you-know-what moment. The big question, though: Who is going to die?

Liz: Good question -- we've got several candidates: Charlie, of course. Ben, who seems to have turned entire Other camp against him in the last few episodes. Richard Alpert, who signed on to an opposing network's series for next year. And Kate, who I include because she is annoying. Doc Jensen over at EW is staying out of the prediction game by listing five things you WON'T see on tonight's finale. I like the one about not seeing Rose kill Bernard by pinching his nostrils shut, a la Tony Soprano.

Much more after the jump...

Jen: Actually, I think Damon Lindelof wrote that list as part of his weekly tease. It's pretty funny. Speaking of EW, our pal J. Wood posits a very interesting theory about the island in today's column. It's actually not that different from what we've said about the island only existing in the present, outside the realm of past and future. But J.'s explanation sounds, like, 850 times smarter than my attempts to advance this theory.

Liz: Speaking of J. Wood, he'll be back with us for tomorrow's post-show analysis, which may be online closer to noon than 11. There's going to be much to process, so we deserve a little extra time. Then you and I will be fielding questions about the season at 3 p.m. ET in a special one-hour live discussion. Jen, it's really more "Lost" hype than you or I or anyone can shake a stick at. I'm proud.

Jen: Re: dead people. I believe we will see multiple demises. I do not think Locke will be one of them. I do think Richard goes and possibly Mr. Friendly. As for central characters, somebody big bites it tonight (and no, I don't mean Charlie). I believe it will either be: Jack, Sawyer, Kate or Hurley. Right now my money is on Kate or Sawyer.

Liz: Please don't let it be Sawyer. Please don't let it be Sawyer. Did I say that out loud?

There are a few other things we can safely assume, too. One of them is that Michael won't be making an appearance -- that is, unless he totally lied when recently asked (note for Michael lovers: he does say he's open to reprising his role in an upcoming season). Another is not to expect too much. Remember, this show has got to try to hold our interest for three more seasons.

Jen: Oh, I'm shaking a stick at the hype. I'm shaking many sticks at it. I would love to hear reader predictions about what may happen tonight. (I literally am so excited about this finale that I would drink a case of skunked Dharma beer to make time go by faster.) Here's a wacky 'lil prediction from me: In the game-changing, "snake in the mailbox" moment, we will see a an extremely severe rupture in the time-space continuum. It will be so reality-altering that Blake will wind up beat-boxing on "Lost" and the winner of "American Idol" will be... Bernard, who sings an extremely touching version of "Against All Odds." (He does love his Phil Collins...)

Liz: I'm going to jump the other way and predict Jordin for an "Idol" win, but I'm sticking with the idea of a parallel universe (rather than a funky space-time continuum) that we talked about last week vis-a-vis "The Talisman." Any other predictions/explainers out there?

Jen: I agree about low expectations, but I can't help it. Mine are high. Oh, re: Michael -- He won't be on the finale. But I believe Walt will. Why? Because last night on "Jimmy Kimmel Live," Jorge Garcia said we would be seeing Walt "very soon." And I hate to be the bearer of bad news about Sawyer. Look, maybe I'm wrong. I know every hot-blooded American woman who likes her men scruffy, sexy and chock full of sarcastic "Star Wars" references will be devastated if this comes to pass.

I can't wait to hash through everything tomorrow. Until then, I hope our readers can do some pre-game hashing to get the party started.

Liz: Excellent. See everyone here tomorrow. In the meantime, catch up with a season's worth of analysis and share your predictions below.

By Liz Kelly  | May 23, 2007; 1:29 PM ET
Categories:  Lost, TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In Praise of Johnny Depp
Next: Morning Mix: O'Donnell vs. Hasselbeck, Again

Comments

Thanks Liz and Jen for getting us prepped!! Looking forward to your breakdown analysis tomorrow :)

I don't think Charlie or Locke are dying toinght either. I'm going with perhaps Richard and Ben and probably a few random Others and Losties once/if the dynamite fireworks get started. We shall see!

Posted by: Lost at Work | May 23, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

i predict:

desmond wakes up and decides to swim after charlie and winds up dead.

juliet is really a triple agent and has been misleading jack, so he kills her.

sawyer will get it so that, after killing juliet, jack takes up with kate.

Posted by: b | May 23, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

i also predict johnny depp will be as hot 20 years from now as he is today....

Posted by: b | May 23, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I can only HOPE Jack bites it but I bet he doesn't.

I still say Charlie is a goner, so are a few Others & Naomi.

Locke isn't dead because...well...there would be rioting in the streets if that were true.

Posted by: Bored @ work | May 23, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

On tonight's episode, the survivors will finally (after 3 months) realize that it would be a good idea to walk around the island to see what's on the other side. When they do, they'll discover the Sandals resort that's been there all along, enjoy some umbrella drinks by the pool and leave on the next charter flight out.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

My wife was telling me about an article that she saw in USAToday that compared 'Lost' to the NBC hit show 'Heroes'. I like both shows so I thought I'd share these links with you guys...have fun tonight!

Posted by: Donald | May 23, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Just found this, a funny recap of Season 3:

Posted by: Bored @ work | May 23, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Donald | May 23, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Parallel planes of existence, I knew it all along!!!! Dang I'm smart!!!!

Seriously, most people won't believe this but I actually KNOW how the series will end. Bail out now if you don't want to find out.

Here goes... the series writers will wrap this thing in two episodes and, yes, it's about forth dimensional travel... or co-existence if you like. The particular magnetic qualities of the island produce this alternate universe, so to speak due to the characteristics of the

Posted by: Pat Bergin | May 23, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I hit "submit" instead of preview, now where was I? Oh yes... the characteristics of the magma beneath the surface of the island.

Anyway, in the final episode Kate and Jack find yet another underground lab and, upon entering, are immediately transported via a 4th dimensional portal to the back of the dryer in my laundry room, where they will emerge with armloads of my missing socks!

I swear this is what happens!!!!!!

Posted by: Pat Bergin | May 23, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Waaaahh! I have friends coming into town tonight for Mem Weekend! I have to DVR the finale and don't know when I'll get a chance to watch it. Do you realize how hard it will be to not read Liz and Jen's analysis tomorrow and steer clear of all Lost blogs? I don't even think I can go near the Internet until I see the ending. By the time I get around to catching up with all the recaps after I eventually watch the ep, it will be too late to participate in all the great dialogue.

So, I'll miss you guys. I'll be thinking of you tonight while you're reveling in the finale. If it's half as good as last season's, it will be well worth waiting for.

See yas!

Posted by: Not Shlomo | May 23, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Theory: The island exists 10,000 years in the future when the magnetic poles have reversed causing massive climactic shifts and the near annihilation of mankind. As a result, the arctic is now tropical (hence polar bears in the jungle). This causes time travel somehow. If you want a more detailed explanation, please ask the mathematician.

Posted by: Roger Workman | May 23, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Given the emphasis on Desmond's prediction last week, I figure there has to be a twist on it...

Desmond predicted Claire and Aaron were picked up by a helicopter. Could it be a Mittelos Bioscience copter, or more generally they are "rescued" but still not free? Or Claire and Aaron leaves on a copter because Claire was not truly "lost" and was some sort of plant... It would really take the wind out of Charlie's heroism and therefore truly be a stunner...

Please note this is pure speculation, and not based on anything whatsoever than trying to comeup with a dramatic ending for the season...

Posted by: Lost Viewer | May 23, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

i'm soo geeked and ready for the Lost 2 hr. finale. As for the other finale going on- who cares? I'm probably the only person in America that can't stomach AI.

Posted by: Plamar1031 | May 23, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

The producers and actors have all been saying that the surprise ending of tonight's episode will be a total shock and blow everyone away. While I hope it will be cleaver I don't know how it possible can be a totally original idea. On this blog and others every conceivable theory such as time travel, black holes, Brigadoon, 300 year old pirates, purgatory, snow globes, etc. have been analyzed. What is possibly left that hasn't been considered? I guess we'll find out at 10:59 pm tonight.

Posted by: hopeful | May 23, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

the ack season summary had me ROTFLMAO.

there is one guarantee about tonight... things will get blowed up real good.

Posted by: b | May 23, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Deathwatch Prediction: Charlie (duh!), Ben and Jin or Bernard.

Richard holds too much of a connection to the island's past and we have not seen his flashback yet. This has to be part of the story for the next three seasons.

Locke lives and replaces Ben as the leader of the Others, but reluctantly. Locke still needs to understand the secrets of the island.

Hurley provides comedic relief and killing Kate or Juliet leaves the show woefully short of female leads.

By the way, the most interesting thing (to me) about the episode title is that it refers to the book that follows Alice in Wonderland and there are some curious story parallels that make the actions on the island a lot clearer.

Posted by: Ombudsman | May 23, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I hate AI and its good to know I am in the company of others as well. Lost should be on twice a week to satisfy the interest of those of who hate the Law and Order and shoot em up bang bang movies and stories. I love a mystery, and this suits my curious, open mind.

Posted by: NC Brown | May 23, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I just finished tonight's episode, and though I'm really looking forward to Liz, Jen and everyone's take on thing tomorrow, my gut reaction right now is that I am feeling horribly disappointed and cheated!

So the Losties get off the island, it sounds like something horrible happens in the process and now they can't tell anyone about it. But Jack still has his job at the hospital apparently, (is Jack's father still alive?!) and Kate appears to be living a nice/normal life and is no longer a fugitive, and it sounds like Oceanic paid everyone off royally, so I'm not really sure what to make of it. The Producers have emphatically said several times that the entire show is NOT a dream, but it's sounding to me like it was some sort of blip in the time/space continuum where what they experienced over 100 or so days, happened in a second/day/week in the real world like an alternate reality dream-like existence.

This episode unveiled "the Future" and though my first thought was, "Well, they can always change this", doesn't the fact that Desmond's foresight of Charlie's death and his inability to change it no matter what tell us that this future for Jack, Kate and the other Losties is unavoidable? If that's the case, I feel that my sense of curiosity about what is going on on the island and the mystery of the show has completely vanished.

Anyway, I'm venting, I'm just mad at where the show stands right now. I'm hoping someone can help me see a clearer, more optimistic meaning of where the show is heading, see the subtleties of the episode and help me getting excited about getting more questions answered in the final seasons. Argh!

Posted by: Lost at Work | May 23, 2007 11:22 PM | Report abuse

What a groovy episode. I wasn't shocked about the ending. I predicted that some of the "flashbacks" were really glimpses of the future.

Locke is not dead!! Yeaaaa...and Hurley saves the day!!! Charlie dies a hero!!!

but I wasn't blown away. I can't believe we have to wait until 2008.

Posted by: Just finished watching.... | May 23, 2007 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Really enjoyed the episode but had the opposite reaction as Lost at Work - I think they maybe gave up too much. Now we know Jack and Kate get out alive. Probably could have guessed this, but now the writers can't really make us think they will die on the island.

The whole Shangri-la theory that someone posted a few weeks ago seems more promising after seeing the future Jack.

Posted by: banner episode | May 23, 2007 11:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm not one to complain about this show -- I was even fine with the VW bus episode (which makes a reprise here) -- but the finale seemed like a major letdown. It's not at all clear why Charlie closed himself in the communications room *after* he hit the button. So he could save the Looking Glass? What for? And Sawyer kills someone in cold blood, despite previous reluctance to do so. As does Locke, who a few weeks ago couldn't kill his scoundrel of a father, and then he just walks away and lets Jack receive the call anyway. And we're given so little about the alternate timeline as to make it not very interesting. My guess is it's Ben or Locke that was in the funeral parlor, but who cares? We weren't given enough connection to the "present" to add to the suspense -- obviously there's no way Jack could know that X years from now he'd regret his decision. That just makes it depressing, not interesting. What would have been a better cliffhanger is if the Losties had, just before the close of the show, gotten some reason *in the present* to question their choice.

Posted by: Charodon | May 24, 2007 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Charodon - Yes, I totally agree!

and bannner epidsode - that's exactly what i was saying - they gave up too much in terms of what the future holds for the losties. and now i feel like i have no motivation to find out all the details in the middle.

Posted by: Lost at Work | May 24, 2007 8:29 AM | Report abuse

*SPOILERS*

I disagree that they gave up too much. If the Desmond/Charlie premonitions may have taught us that while we may be destined for things, we may be able to choose how we reach that destiny. So of course there is the question "Can they go back?" (Or going in a similar but different direction, are Jack and Kate avoiding there destiny in the way Charlie did so many times, and they aren't both supposed to have gotten off the island?)

Charadon - I think once Charlie knew things were going to get blown up, he was a goner. The question was whether or not he could save desmond and get the message that Naomi was not who she said she was to the rest. The door could not be sealed from the outside so he felt he had to stay in.

Do we know who was in the casket? Given no one showed up I speculate that it was either Ben or Sawyer. Jack's dad was ruled out when he challenged the other doc to get his father down to see who was more drunk. (Which was the strongest indictation that in this sequence, Jack's father was still alive somehow - perhaps the most inexplicable part of the flash forward - or can we debate whether it was a flash forward.)

Posted by: Lost Viewer | May 24, 2007 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I think Jack's father is still dead in the future and Jack is just getting his realities messed up. I mean he was strung out on drugs.

Posted by: Lost poster | May 24, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I thought it had been determined previously that Desmond's flashes aren't glimpses of the future, but rather seeing things that he has already lived through.

Therefore, it should be a pretty easy fix for the producers to make Des go back, and this time he'll see Charlie's message in his flash about drowning. I think Des is the key, and he has to experience things before knowing (subconsciouly)the right path to take.

Posted by: dopeweblow | May 24, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Charodon's comment about the cliffhanger being more depressing than anything else, and in a way that doesn't add to the present suspense.

Posted by: sjh | May 24, 2007 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Bye CHarlie.
Nut couldn't he have run out at the last moment and dogged the hatch?

Posted by: NoCharlie | May 25, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Charodon wrote:

---It's not at all clear why Charlie closed himself in the communications room *after* he hit the button.---

He closed the door because he realized this was the moment the Looking Glass would flood and he would die. Charlie wanted to die since he wanted Desmond's vision to come true since it included Claire and her baby getting on a helicopter. If Charlie did not die, Claire would not be rescued. Now he could have just left the door open but he closed it to keep Desmond from, once again, rescuing him, which would have made the vision not happen.

---And Sawyer kills someone in cold blood, despite previous reluctance to do so.---

Previously yes. Did you notice that Kate asked what was wrong with Sawyer. Sawyer was changed when he killed Cooper. He is now a real killer and Sawyer knows it and does not like it. And he had a lot of baggage with Tom. But I was also surprised he shot him. Sawyer is not a truly bad dude but Sawyer is beginning to believe it of himself.

---As does Locke, who a few weeks ago couldn't kill his scoundrel of a father, and then he just walks away and lets Jack receive the call anyway.---

Right. Locke is still unable to kill.

---My guess is it's Ben or Locke that was in the funeral parlor, but who cares? We weren't given enough connection to the "present" to add to the suspense---

I agree. Many flashbacks and now a forward only make sense in a later episode.

---obviously there's no way Jack could know that X years from now he'd regret his decision. That just makes it depressing, not interesting.---

Unless he was told the exact consequence of his decision and did not trust the person/people telling him. Remember when Jack did not let Ben call the guys on the beach who had orders to shoot Jin, Bernard and Said if Ben did not call? Jack heard the three shots. I felt Jack instantly regretted his decision. Later when they were found to be alive Jack was relieved. Jack has been in similar situations, telling Locke that pushing the button did nothing and wanting him to stop. Later we learned the button was important. So I think it was worth giving us a shot of the future where Jack has made a serious judgement error and he cannot live with it. You're right that whoever was in the coffin did not matter. What matters is Jack believes he caused that person to be there.

---What would have been a better cliffhanger is if the Losties had, just before the close of the show, gotten some reason *in the present* to question their choice.---

They did. Ben explained the guys on the boat were bad people. Jack ignored him and contacted them and is ready for them to arrive. Ben pleads but Ben has lost any ability to be trusted. This is what Ben fails to understand, that trust is more important than Jacob and the power Ben has through Jacob. But I don't think that decision, to call the boat, is what is driving Jack's suicidal thoughts. I think its the beginnings of it though. To really be so depressed Jack must have made many bad decisions. I guess we'll see what they are in season 4.

Posted by: Sully | May 27, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse