Posted at 8:23 AM ET, 05/23/2007

Morning Mix: Jolie to Take Break From Filming

By Liz Kelly

Headlines: Angelina Jolie plans to take year off from filmmaking... Apolo Anton Ohno wins "Dancing With the Stars"... Italian consumer groups want high-priced Barbra Streisand concerts canceled... NBC dropping Stone Phillips from "Dateline"... Jon Heder ("Napoleon Dynamite") and wife welcome baby girl... Dennis Quaid and wife expecting twins... Candy Spelling has some advice for Joe Francis... Matthew McConaughey, birdman of Malibu... Kellie Pickler's dad arrested (again)... Tom Arnold divorcing (again)... Eve pleads not guilty to drunk driving charges... Mischa Barton lights up (at) Cannes.

Rumor Mill: Vodka company to sponsor Lindsay Lohan's 21st birthday celebration, which won't be at Manhattan's Soho Grand hotel (second item)... Michael Jackson offered $9.9 million to attend a party... Rep denies reports that Nicole Richie is in rehab... How old is Rachel McAdams?... No honeymoon for Eva Longoria.

Say What?
"Because obviously, if you have a womanly figure, you're not allowed to have a brain or any idea of the world whatsoever. You just have to be hot and use your body to get ahead." -- Jessica Alba on how she's been unfairly typecast by Hollywood

"Tell them we're busy!" -- Kevin Spacey's ad-libbed remark upon hearing a cell phone ring during his performance of Eugene O'Neill's "A Moon for the Misbegotten."

By Liz Kelly  | May 23, 2007; 8:23 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Celebritology 101: Stalkerazzi Avoidance Tactics
Next: In Praise of Johnny Depp

Comments

On the Matthew M link, you'll have to scroll down the list - they seem to give you the incorrect "get link" at TMZ (i.e. - not Liz's fault ;) ).

Does anyone else get the impression that Matthew M. was partially screwin' with the people filming him? Thanks for the laugh this morning Liz - that was priceless.

Posted by: Chasmosaur | May 23, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

So Rachel McAdams is lying about her age, who in Hollywood doesn't lie about their age, weight, height, sexuality, ethnicity.

This explains Mischa Barton's acting on the OC.

I have seen on Matthew McConaughey on Jimmy Kimmel. I'm not surprised by the birdman behavior. The man is a nutcase. The best is still Matt being arrested playing bongos in the nude with a friend and smoking weed.

Posted by: Lisa1 | May 23, 2007 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Expect the LiLo birthday party sponsorship rumour to be confirmed by a spokesperson saying something like, "After all the business she's thrown our way, we felt it was our duty to give something back."

Posted by: byoolin | May 23, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

On the occasion of Stone Philips' imminent unemployment, I am moved to remember the episode of The Family Guy when Lois Griffin utters those immortal words about him:

"Stone Philips - he's the kind of guy you really hate... until he's inside you."

Posted by: byoolin | May 23, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Honestly, I don't care if he's doing a Ghost Dance or his version of Birdy, McConaughey is smokin' hot. Him & his tiny arms can do almost anything they want w/me.

Posted by: Bored @ work | May 23, 2007 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I know Jessica Alba would be my go-to for ideas and analysis of the world and the way it works.

Posted by: Stick | May 23, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Good for Spacey. Cell phones and the inconsiderate losers who leave them turned on during plays, movies, concerts, etc. (after being told to turn them off) are one of my pet peeves. The same is true of the self-absorbed imbeciles who insist on lighting up the darkened theater while text messaging friends.

Posted by: MisterBear | May 23, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

amen, MisterBear!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Tom Arnold must spend more on divorce lawyer fees than anyone else in Hollywood.

Posted by: petal | May 23, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Byoolin: HA! I remember that episode, thanks for posting a classic Stone Phillips line (and there are so many...)

LiLo's birthday party: God help us all.

Posted by: sarahlucy | May 23, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

MisterBear,
You hit the nail right on the head! The reasons you list are precisely why I wait for movies on DVD. I used to go to movies weekly, sometimes for double-features, but I get so annoyed with my fellow moviegoers that it's just not worth it anymore.
Anybody out there have a device to disable the cell phones when they're in movie theaters or (ahem) restrooms?

Posted by: Jules | May 23, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Amen to that, MisterBear! Cell phones on planes are just as annoying; god help us if they become legal in-flight.

Kevin Spacey is the coolest. Love it.

If Jolie is taking a break from films, does that mean we also get a break from her incessant addiction to shine the media spotlight on herself? Not seeing anything about her for a year would be so welcome.

Posted by: Catherine | May 23, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Who on earth is using a cellphone in the restroom? Not that movies are acceptable but the restroom come on now, the call can wait.

One of my peeves is when people are on Metro and find it necessary to share their entire conversation. At some point there's always the line "Yeah, I'm on the bus now" or, "I'm on the train so the phone might cut out" The last one is normally followed by the phone cutting out and the person redialing the number that just got cut off. Arrrrgghhhh.

Posted by: petal | May 23, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh yes, I hear the "I'm in the store ..." "I'm in the post office ..." "I'm in Starbucks ..." "I'm walking down the street ..." Well, you get the gist. What makes these folks think anyone's interested in these most mundane details of their lives?

I can't help it ... I always flush the toilet a couple times if I hear anyone in the restroom on their phone. Hee hee hee. It's amazing to me that people actually go to the bathroom while chit-chatting ... can't the person on the other end hear that ... ? Ick.

Posted by: Catherine | May 23, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

There are devices that will "block" cell phone reception that are being installed in some of the newer theaters, at least in the midwest. It won't stop a person from trying to call, but no calls will get in (or out). I guess the only device to stop a person from trying is a tazer =)

Posted by: Karen | May 23, 2007 5:40 PM | Report abuse

What the heck is going on w/Matt M? This guy clearly loves the attention lavished upon him for doing what- starting a bonfire?!

Kudos to kevin S. for telling off the rude theater patron. Nothing is more infuriating than some self absorbed person w/ a loud cell phone- put it on vibe, you jerk.

Posted by: plamar1031 | May 23, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

It cracks me up every time I hear a celebrity say they're "taking time off of work." Give me a break! They shoot a couple of films a year and while I know it's not easy, come on...it ain't like working every day, five days a week, year after year, like most of us...so they should just shut up and stop making themselves look and sound like idiots.

Posted by: am | May 23, 2007 7:48 PM | Report abuse

For those commenting on cellphone jammers, there are two types of electronic jammers:
1. The common type is a transceiver that behaves just like a cell tower. Since cellphones naturally attempt to connect to their nearest tower, they will drop the connection to the real tower to connect to the fake tower that has no real phone connection.
2. The second type that was published on the internet is basically a radio (RF) noise generator. In something about the size of an Altoids tin, a RF noise generator can jam cellphones within 10-30 feet of you. It's simply too "noisy" for the cellphone to get a reliable connection to the tower.

Both are illegal in the US under FCC regulations. The latter was published by a college student on her website, got alot of attention in the blogosphere, and promptly taken down.

Posted by: Disposable Pet | May 24, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse