Posted at 10:44 AM ET, 06/21/2007

Big Time Blame Shifting

By Liz Kelly

Perhaps blameless Angelina Jolie and Tommy Lee should heed the lessons found at coping.org. (Photos: Reuters and Getty Images) (AP)

Listen, I would never want you to think that Tommy Lee is some kind of airheaded fool who lucked his way into stardom and money courtesy of a footnote in musical history or that Angelina Jolie is a control freak who considers herself entitled to a strictly-controlled media environment.

And neither would they it seems, since the past week saw both stars (who, come to think of it, actually look like cousins) clumsily shifting blame for their missteps onto the convenient shoulders of their management. Is personal responsibility now "out" for the celebrity set or are we to believe that both Lee and Jolie are naive enough to trust their money-making images to the care and feeding of others?

In Lee's case, the rocker -- along with his Motley Crue bandmates -- is suing manager Carl Stubner for pushing Lee into doing two "disastrous" reality shows that portrayed Lee as "incoherent, lazy and incompetent." The suit says Stubner counseled Lee to do these solo projects rather than tour with Crue, costing the band an estimated $8 million in profits.

Jolie's case is a bit stickier. Last week Fox News cried foul when the actress reportedly banned their crew from the red carpet premiere of her new movie, "A Mighty Heart." Nevermind that the premiere was meant to benefit press freedom foundation Reporters Without Borders. To make matters worse, word later leaked that Jolie required any reporters who wanted to interview her to sign a contract agreeing to only ask questions within preset bounds. Ouch. Once she realized that this was perhaps not the best way to curry press favor, Jolie appeared on the "Jon Stewart Show" to deflect:

"I didn't put it out there," she said. "It was from my representatives trying to be protective of me, but it was excessive and I wouldn't have put it out there."

One of Jolie's lawyers since stepped forward with a mea culpa, claiming Jolie was unaware of the press contract.

In both cases, though, we're left asking the same question: Barring a rogue handler selling inside scoop to the highest bidder, aren't these people ultimately responsible for their own actions? Would Tommy Lee be suing his manager if "Rock Star: Supernova" had been a smash hit? Did he really object to making thousands of dollars for a few minutes mugging on a couch with Dave Navarro? Is his manager to blame for his vacuous commentary or his propensity for making the devil sign over and over again? In Jolie's case, are we to believe the paparazzi-hounded actress wasn't on some level aware of the strictures in place at the premiere? Or is she just a little embarrassed that an oft-used tool was in this case made public by a hostile press?

You tell me.

By Liz Kelly  | June 21, 2007; 10:44 AM ET
Categories:  Brangelina, Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Is Britney Drinking Again?
Next: Morning Mix: The Paris Interview

Comments

I have a hard time believing that stars give control of items put out in their names entirely to their staff. This is another Paris Hilton move of - my assistant didn't tell me I wasn't allowed to drive.

And whoever is advising T.Lee to sue his manager over this bad advice should be the next on the law suit list.

Posted by: sjcpeach | June 21, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

It sounded like the Jolie thing was actually in two parts: first, she banned Fox from the red carpet. Good for her. If more people refused to play Fox's "fair and balanced" game, maybe Fox would have to actually become fair and balanced. Second, she had that awful contract. It was overly protective, but so what? I doubt she had anything to do with it - her rep probably said "we think we can keep the press from asking you questions about your personal life" and she said "Great!" - why wouldn't she? But the rep went too far.

I just have a hard time believing that she was right on top of every aspect of this. It's such a bogus issue - who cares if she tries to focus media attention on the movie instead of on her? From anyone else, we'd think it was selfless; because it's her, we assume sinister motives. That's pretty unfair.

Posted by: Kate | June 21, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Dear Tommy,

It wasn't your manager's fault. If you hadn't picked Lukas, Rockstar: Supernova would have made money. I wasn't going to lay out $75 to see that creep. Sigh. I miss Dilana.

Sincerely,

Still Bitter

PS Please write The Dirt II.

Posted by: golflies | June 21, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

A TMZ update has Tommy Lee not being a part of the lawsuit...

UPDATE: Tommy Lee's lawyer Barbara Berkowitz tells TMZ that her client isn't involved in the case. In an email, Berkowitz writes, " Mr. Lee was neither consulted regarding this matter nor authorized the lawsuit. Mr. Lee has not made any allegations against his current personal manager. Mr. Lee feels fortunate to have been part of the Motley Reunion tour, as well as other opportunities outside of Motley Crue over the past several years. It is unfortunate that others believe that they all could have made more money had Mr. Lee exclusively participated in the band that he co-founded in 1980. "

Posted by: Correction | June 21, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

the Jon Stewart Show? sure, I think of it that way but it's not the name of the show.

Posted by: a quibble | June 21, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Tommy Lee is ticked because the quality of groupies backstage at S:RS was not up to his usual high standards for schtuppability.

And when the news breaks that Angelina also banned Brad's mother from the thing because of her visiting Jennifer Aniston, all heck is REALLY going to break loose and she'll probably lose her UN post. Remember, you read it here first.

Posted by: byoolin | June 21, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone recall the way that Angelina treated Ryan Seacrest at the Golden Globes? Ryan trying to chat her up...cold stare...Brad trying to heh heh through an awkward moment. Come on. This woman has a history. She picks and chooses who she will choose to "represent" her in the press. She feels she has the right to do this. She feels entitled in many ways. Like many of our prima donna celebrities that are receiving way too much limelight of late.

Posted by: CarolB | June 21, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Is there a woman here who wouldn't treat Seacrest the same way as AJ did?

Posted by: byoolin | June 21, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Glad to see that Tommy Lee is now not part of the lawsuit. It never made sense that he could be suing his manager, who got him highpaying if ultimately unsuccessful TV gigs. And where does Crue get the standing to sue? Unless there was a contract between Lee and the band, and the manager convinced him to break that contract, the band can have no real legal beef. Of course, we live in a society where lawyers sue for $54 million over a pair of lost pants...

Posted by: Jack | June 21, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

byoolin said:

Is there a woman here who wouldn't treat Seacrest the same way as AJ did?

Well, yeah. Every other woman he interviewed. My point is that, when you're in the public eye, you're expected to behave graciously. We have a whole lot of young women out there, of late, who think that they are an exception to that rule.

Too much attention being paid to poor behavior on the part of our celebrities. And as much as fans tend to lionize Angelina, she has a VERY checkered past, in terms of how she has conducted her self in public. She speaks out for children who are suffering in 3rd world countries. I applaud that. But, she's no saint. And her behavior still leaves much to be desired.

Posted by: CarolB | June 21, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Even if there is some truth to where these two (and others) are placing the blame - i.e. Angelina really didn't know that her handlers were limiting the media's questions in trying to protect her - they still need to step up and take some responsibility. Although a celebrity has a large staff and can't possibly know what they are doing at all times, they are responsible for who they hire to represent them. These celebrities (and other human beings) are personally responsible for hiring individuals who will represent them with accuracy and integrity.

In addition, placing blame on others for mistakes, even if they truly aren't your fault, is so unappealing. A little humility and responsibility goes a long way. Instead of all of these long-winded explanations, Angie should have simply apologized, promising a more balanced interview in the future. I bet the media and her fans would have had much more respect for her.

Posted by: Noelle | June 21, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

secondly, is this new? stars trying to manage their images? hello?? lisa, is it a slow news day? you are slipping.

Posted by: wats | June 21, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, *Lisa.*

:-)

Posted by: byoolin | June 21, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

re: Seacrest & Angelina Interview
If I remember correctly, that interview was about the same time that her mother was dying -- most people wouldn't be too chummy.

Posted by: danielle | June 21, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

anyone see this? she clearly isn't a beast:

Posted by: Jo | June 21, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Angelina Jolie Rescues Stranded Photographer
Friday June 15, 2007

Jolie took pity on a member of the paparazzi on Thursday, giving a lift to a photographer whose bike suffered a flat tire.
"She was one of the nicest people I have ever met. And it was one of the most surreal experiences of my life," said 27-year-old Splash News snapper James Ambler of his 30-minute car ride with the actress.
The London native had been following Jolie on his bicycle -- which allows him to easily move in and out of traffic -- when he accidentally ran over a nail.
"When I realized I'd got a puncture I thought I was going to lose her and not get any pictures."
"The next thing I know, Angelina's car is pulling over," he said. "Angelina winds her window down and says 'Lance, why don't you jump in the car?'"
The 32-year-old A Mighty Heart star told him that she and her family were so impressed that he was able to keep up with the car, they had nicknamed him Lance after cyclist Lance Armstrong.
"She said, 'We love having you riding alongside us. You're always happy, always smiling. The kids enjoy watching you whizzing along on your bike.'"
Even after he'd climbed into the actress' car, the photographer remained dumbstruck.
"I got in and said, 'This is so strange'," James recalled. "She just laughed and said, 'Well, it's a strange world we live in.'"
The snapper said Jolie was "really chatty" and asked him questions about himself and his job and where he was from.
She even told him she and boyfriend Brad Pitt, 43, don't understand why they were such hot property and asked which one of them made the best picture.
"She said, 'Brad and I always wonder which one of us is the priority,'" James revealed.
"She said, 'We just don't understand why people always want to take our picture. We never go out drinking or anything like that.'"
"I just laughed and said 'Well, you are quite popular, Angelina. I don't know how you do it, smiling for the cameras all the time."
"She just said it was part of the job."
He concluded: "I think she took a bit of a shine to me. Brad better watch out!"

Posted by: Anonymous | June 21, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

You know, when my mom was dying, I had to go to work and I had to treat people well. Angelina showed up on the red carpet and took it out on Ryan Seacrest? Mmmm...not buying that.

I'm with Noelle. Our politicians, actors, singers, wealthy heiresses, athletes, etc, etc...need to worry less about managing their images and start demonstrating a little integrity. You make a mistake? Own it. Someone on your staff makes a mistake. The buck stops with you. Own that.

Showing that they are human and make mistakes and can deal with honestly may earn them the respect of the American public. And maybe that should mean more, in the end, then hollow worship.

Posted by: CarolB | June 21, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I don't know, certain members of our gov't are also awfully good at deflecting blame. Some get a guy like Scooter Libby to take the blame for their spite, then pretend it was a screw-up.

Yeah, let's let FOX news on the red carpet, where they will probably spew some anti Semetic crap about how Daniel Pearl deserved what he got.

Posted by: POS | June 21, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to know how many of you embittered Fox news bashers have actually WATCHED Fox news for more than 5 minutes.

Posted by: Rockville | June 21, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

When was personal responsibility ever "in"?

Posted by: Prophet | June 21, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

All of this hoopla sounds like the "Bush Administration" and "Justice Department" fiasco. Liz has nothing BETTER to report on?

Posted by: J | June 21, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I don't blame Angelina. I mean, if she doesn't want to answer questions about her personal life, that's her business. As it is, the press follows her everywhere. I'd try to keep my private life private, to the extent I could.

And Tommy Lee is just stupid.

Posted by: heffalump | June 21, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Rockville,
When I go to the gym to work out, Fox News is always on. I've watched hours and hours of it. That's why I can say, definitively, that Fox News is skewed. Very, very skewed.

Posted by: grumpy -- sorry | June 21, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Considering the Jolie/Pitt total control of the media in Africa when she gave birth, I'd say it's likely she knew about the recent restrictions.

Posted by: Eric | June 21, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

This is really kind of stupid, but whenever I look at Angelina Jolie, all I can think is that I bet she stinks. She just has that look.
I get the same vibe off of Sarah Jessica Parker.
Yes, yes, I know it's shallow. But so is the rest of this discussion. Anybody else get that feeling?

Posted by: i bet she smells pewy | June 21, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

The column is based on the mistaken notion that self-important, self-centered air-head celebrities are ever held personally responsible for anything. Jolie's and Lee's most recent behavior is just more of the same and it once again demonstrates that they are used to being indulged at every turn without consequences. They are problably shocked that anyone even noticed, although for the life of me I can't figure out why anyone should notice.

Posted by: frankmitchell | June 21, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

To be honest, if I were invited for an interview on FoxNews, I'd also decline. I don't respect them as a news outfit. But, I don't think I'd have the balls to ban them from the premier of my movie.

But, I think that misses the point. The point is that Angelina is dodging responsibility for the decision. And, increasingly, she is presenting herself on the world stage to address public policy issues. She wants to be taken seriously. I think that's great. But, you've got to play by the rules. You can't play prima donna when it suits you and then expect to be taken seriously when you want to talk starving children.

I'm intrigued by Prophet's question above, "When was personal responsibility ever "in"?"

We shine a great big spotlight on our celebrities absolutely worse behavior. And then we make excuses for it. Every time I read another trainwreck celebrity story, I feel ashamed. Ashamed for our culture, because this is what we produce.

Posted by: CarolB | June 21, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Interesting about the smell thing. Several people said when SJP was coming out with her perfume that it made sense because she "always smells amazing". As to Angie, coincidentally, I read on a blog recently where the blogger met Angelina at a press thing. She said she smelled clean, like she exuded freshness and clean, not a perfume or product. Here's the link http://dailyblabber.ivillage.com/entertainment/archives/2007/06/i_met_angelina_jolie.html?dst=rss%7Cen_blab

Posted by: Anonymous | June 21, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Fox News is Bush's Iraq War propaganda mouthpiece. Fox News continues to pander to the warmongers. Fox News is unAmerican.

Posted by: Mickey | June 21, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

speaking of Fox, check out Weingarten's Sunday piece on Lou Dobbs. Laugh out loud

Posted by: Anonymous | June 21, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

hmmm...

so is she responsible for smelling clean? or has this conversation reached a low point...

really - celebs hire handlers... and they hire legal people to protect their image because we see what happens when they dont(damn, if Brit had one of those i think there'd be a lot less of HER in the tabloids - and by that i dont just mean she'd be wearing underwear). Angelina had someone that went over the top - she put an end to it - what more can you ask of her?

As for Tommy - lol. Would that we could all sue people for our bad business decisions... a lot of ex-wives and ex-husbands would be in serious financial trouble if that were the case ;). For example: if you had a CEO that's responsible for 1/5th of the corporate budget in travel expenses (how DO you spend $1m a year on hotels) like the CEO at my last company - who exactly is at fault there? The Board for not reigning him in? The stockholders for not firing him? Personal responsibility? Not in this day and age... not with your neighbors, not with the country at large, and certainly not with the airheaded celebs we discuss here...

Posted by: Quintilius Varus | June 21, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

wow, Quintilius Varus, you join in the few voices of reason we see here...

Posted by: Anonymous | June 21, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

People really want Jolie to be responsible for this. She is a celebrity. Pretty much the #1 celebrity right now. None of us will never know the type of life she leads. So how can we be so sure that her attorney didn't make this mess in the first place. The media (2nd rate, some of them) think mighty high of themselves to believe that Jolie had them high on the priority list in the first place. I just don't think it's something she needed to bother with so she trusted her attorney to take care of it. And of course the media needs to make Jolie the bad guy so the story will stay in the press, because if you replace her name with the attorney's name,no one knows and no one cares. Nice try, fox and losers, but Angie's still the stuff legends are made of . Enjoy your 15 minutes of riding on her coattails!

Posted by: nic | June 21, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Maybe not Angelina, but I'm certain Tommy Lee and the rest of the Crue stink. Literally and metaphorically.

Posted by: sensitive | June 21, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

amen, NIc. This is why people hire other people to deal with things. If the person I hire to walk my dog doesn't pick up poop in the park and I learn about that later, I will be upset and tell them to stop, but that doesn't mean I knew about it ahead of time. It is called delegation, and sometimes the delegee blows it

Posted by: Anonymous | June 21, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

"Incoherent, lazy and incompetent."

The name of Motley Crue greatest hits album.

Posted by: Lisa1 | June 21, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Okay Anonymous. But, if you are confronted by a Park Ranger, because your dog handler failed to pick up your dog's poop, are you going to blame it on your dog handler and walk away? Or are you going to take responsibility and pick up the poop?

Posted by: CarolB | June 21, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

But CarolB, isn't that exactly what she did? She apologized and lifted the restrictions, both on Fox and on the journalists asked to sign the contract. How should she have dealt with it, if not like that?

Posted by: Exactly | June 21, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

exactly!!! she did pick up the poop! you just made my point. thanks!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 21, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Jolie placing the blame on someone else in her effort to eliminate adverse questions is a ruse. She is trying to get away from the real questions about her private life that isn't so private. Photos of her loving family, comforting starving children (that she releases/sells or allows) are photo ops. Loving and caring for the unfortunate."Bull" She wants to make sure she can control anything that might reveal that she hasn't changed, just found a new acting job. Jolie did say she will do anything to get what she wants. That is, lie, cheat, manipulate, use anyone and anythng. If my Mother was dying,I would not have been globe trotting or having my child in Africa where my ill Mother would have to travel to see her. I would have been close by spending as much time is I could being with her, comforting her.
Mighty Heart how about her Might Farce

Posted by: Pk | June 21, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

But, she's still not accepting the responsibility. I suppose that it's something that comes naturally if you grow up with a lot of priviledge. You get accustomed to being protected. The whole idea of having "handlers" reflects it. Stand out there and say, "This was my mistake." She just needs to be willing to take it like a man. Not just today, but the next day and the day after that. To take the hard questions. Or say, graciously, I'd rather not talk about that. But, just not skirt it by shifting it onto someone else. That's a priviledge that people that have "handlers" take very lightly. But, if you want to be more than eye candy, take responsibility. Don't hide behind your people. I realize that's a hard argument to swallow. We like to pamper our celebrities. But, Angelina Jolie seems to be asking for something more than that. Just not consistently.

Posted by: CarolB | June 21, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

wow, PK, who made you the judge of all? I guess giving away 90% of your income and devoting much of your time to helping those in need is a negative for you? (and gee, I guess those idiots in the UN and the Council on Foreign Relations have no idea WTF they are talking about when they say they have never seen someone so dedicated and informed). And her mother endorsed her actions, by the way. She encouraged them to adopt Pax. But I guess you live your life in such a perfect, saintly way that you know what you are talking about.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 21, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I don't think any one of us can say a thing until we have lived a life where photographers try to break into our houses to take pictures of our naked children in the bath. OK? so everyone needs to just shut up.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 21, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"re: angelina and seacrest. give me a break. her mother, at that very moment, was dying!!! we didn't know the story then, but we do now. i'm in no way an AJ apologist, but i gotta callz em as i seez em: she deserves a break on that one!"

Well, why wasn't she with her mother? Star or not, if your mother is dying you should be with her. She has no morals and I think she olny pretends to be nice. I mean really, what idiot would pick up a stranger (bike guy) with kids in the car. She did it so he could go and say how wonderful she was.

Posted by: Irish girl | June 21, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Aw, c'mon, Anon, buck up. Love your celeb proudly.

Do you have kids? If you do, let me just say this. Expect the very best out of them. That's the best kind of love you can give them. You've got to keep the standards high for the people that you care about. Critique them. Tell them they can do better. And they will. And they might even thank you for it some day.

Posted by: CarolB | June 21, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Irish Girl, you are insane.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 21, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I think too much is being made about Angelina being "cold" to Ryan Seacrest. If you actually have seen the clip of the interview, to me at least, she didn't seem cold, she smiled (perhaps a strained smile, Seacrest is annoying, I don't blame her) and sort of gave an "uh huh" answer, and then Brad took over again. It wasn't like she lashed out at him or was explicitly rude. Brad was the one Ryan was initially interviewing anyway and so she was trying to let Brad have the interview since it was his movie up for the awards and wasn't chatty, possibly because her mother was dying and she was having to be composed. I think people should get over it, she was fine.

Posted by: seattle | June 21, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

they're both pathetic...and AJ would be the first to say that politicians and world leaders should take responsibility for their actions...she should do the same. but she's too self absorbed ... and puts herself on another level (or planet).

Posted by: acm | June 21, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

First it isn't 90%,maybe that's what she gives from the sell of her children's pictures. Even that goes into the Jolie/Pitt charitable fund. Then that is given out with all the fan fair of look at me,see how wonderful I am and a very good image builder. Add what she says she gives 1/3 of her salary to charity (the fund) and you have a wonderful write-off,not to mention the ability to use the same money twice for publicity. Jolie keeping 10% of the money she makes- what? How about the charities that were announced but somehow didn't get the money until they spoke out about it. As to the U. N. and Council on Foreign Relations, you HAVE met and listened to politicians maybe? There are many other celeb's that do as much or more they just don't use it to promote themselves.(maybe because they don't need to) As for me being perfect and saintly, I'm not telling.

Posted by: PK | June 21, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Irish Girl, you are insane.

Why thanks, I mean if staying with your dying mother, not picking up strangers, and having morals makes me insane, then insane I am.

Nice post though and a great rebuttal.

Posted by: Irish girl | June 21, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I bet "Jen" Aniston, the Christ-like goddess that she is, would NEVER, EVER do such a thing. And I just have this FEELING that she smells REALLY REALLY much better than that HOMEBREAKER ANGIE!!!
Actually I think Jen took off her top, then tried to sue a photographer for taking a picture of her. That isn't suppression of the press?

Posted by: POS | June 21, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

How did "Jen" get into this mix????

Surly?"OH" I mean Surely you can do better

Posted by: PK | June 21, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Jen a smoker? Bet she stinks, too.
Iggy Pop must top the list of smellers. Probably up there with McConaughey.

Posted by: pewy | June 21, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I bet Brit smells like juicy fruit and Southern Comfort and feet.
Betcha.

Posted by: also pewy | June 21, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Media, blame yourselves. You created an American royalty out of movie stars going back to the '30s. What you see is what you have created, "ferral animals"* of the media.

Tony Blair, in his comments to the press.

Posted by: Big Sam | June 21, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Tony Blair, in his comments to the press.

Posted by: Big Sam | June 21, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

IMHO, more celebrties should act like AJ. SHe uses her celebrity -- and the media's insatiability for every tidbit about her life -- to call attention to much more important issues than herself. Maybe she views herself as the lens through which the rest of our self indulgent society can see how the majority of the children in the world live. If it takes moving to Botwama, or adopting children from all around the world, and have the paparazzi follow her, so be it. Go AJ. You're a real star in every positive sense of the word.

Posted by: imho | June 21, 2007 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I've been convinced that in order to participate, I too must play the boycott game. So I am going to boycott Angelina Jolie's movie . . . and since so many of the responders think that boycotting Fox News is a good idea (even though their side of the political spectrum controls all the other news outlets -- CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, PBS and NBC, not to mention the print press including this Washington Post) I will be boycotting one of them each day (since, unlike the readers here, I actually read all the various news sources, not just the ones that parrot my own views). Turnabout is fair play afterall.

Posted by: colorado kool aid | June 21, 2007 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe I'm even commenting about this but... I watched the
Daily Show interview, and she did take responsibility... She said that it was her handler, and she's responsible for all decisions made on her behalf. She also said that when she learned about the contract, she got rid of it.

I don't know much about AJ (I'm a Daily Show fan, not an AJ fan), but I definitely get the impression that Liz doesn't much care for AJ.

Posted by: TEL | June 21, 2007 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Fox News is a pretend news station, just like the Washington Times is a pretend newspaper.

Posted by: Fred | June 21, 2007 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Yikes! PK and Irish Girl, lots of pent up anger and jealousy there, I can but recoil. Imagine little love in your lives. Take care of yourselves, find your purpose and give happiness.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 22, 2007 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I have never been insulted on this blog before or saw anyone else insulted. Pretty funny that you choose to call people names and assume anger and jealousy over a star.

Posted by: Irish girl | June 22, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Liz Kelly writes "aren't these people ultimately responsible for their own actions?" That's funny. Especially coming from a writer at a newspaper that has done so little to hold the criminals in the White House responsible for their own actions. Two entertainers are to be held to some higher standard than those in our government? Pathetic. And so typical.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 25, 2007 11:49 PM | Report abuse