Posted at 11:18 AM ET, 06/ 6/2007

Hitting That Softsational Rock Spot

By Jen Chaney

Orleans may have produced the quintessential soft rock album cover, but they're still no LRB. (Photo Courtesy of Orleans)

Here's a question: Has your life hit rock bottom when you find yourself at home on a Friday night, watching VH1's "40 Most Softsational Soft Rock Songs"? Or does the nadir not come until you almost yell at the TV because the countdown fails to include even a single song by the Little River Band?

Tough call, really. But at least the experience gave me fodder for a blog post.

VH1, a network whose programming focuses on pop culture list-making almost as much as it does on anything Flava Flav-related, charted newly wimpy territory with this show, which celebrates Velveeta pop of the Starland Vocal Band variety. (Read the complete list here). Part of me has to wonder why the listmakers didn't just steal every track from this Time-Life collection and call it a day. Clearly, someone over there has watched "Yacht Rock" a few too many times. (Is it a coincidence that some of the show's commentators have "Yacht Rock" ties? I think not.)

Still, as a connoisseur of '70s and '80s music, I took a certain interest in the choices. And while I commend several of the selections (Bravo, Debby Boone! And here's lookin' at you, Bertie Higgins of "Key Largo" fame), I had to wonder why so many cheeseball classics were omitted.

With that in mind, here is Jen Chaney's List of Softsational Soft Rock Songs That Deserve a Spot on This Admittedly Goofy VH1 List.

10. "I Love You" by Climax Blues Band If you ever caught the little-seen indie "Cherish," which has its own obsession with sappy retro hits, you'll recall that this song plays a major role in the movie's final moments. And ooooh, I want it on this list.

9. "Undercover Angel" by Alan O'Day "I never had a dream that made sweet love to me." I still don't know what that lyric means, but I like it. And it's better than that junky Michael Bolton song that made the list instead. (Better, of course, being a relative term.)

8. "Magnet and Steel" by Walter Egan I have tried, on numerous occasions, to listen to this song without singing along. But I can't do it. Its magnetic forces are too powerful.

7. "Easy" by The Commodores The VH1ers opted for Lionel Richie's "Hello." But this Commodores hit, featuring Richie on vocals, is way smoother. So smooth, even Faith No More couldn't resist its charms.

6. "Sentimental Lady" by Bob Welch Ah, Bob Welch. Not only did you give us this song -- which includes the stellar lyrics "14 joys and a will to be merry/And all of the things that we say are very/Sentimental gentle wind/Blowing through my life again" -- but, as the cherry on top of the cheesy-pop sundae, you also recorded "Ebony Eyes." And for that, we thank you.

5. "Steal Away" by Robbie Dupree Do you remember Robbie Dupree? Good. I'm glad to know there's two of us.

4. "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" by Elvin Bishop This song reminds me of two things: Riding in the hot, sticky backseat of my parents' hideous wood-paneled station wagon and the movie "Boogie Nights."

3. "Kiss You All Over" by Exile If it's good enough for "Happy Gilmore," it should be good enough for VH1.

2. "Wildfire" by Michael Martin Murphy The horse dies, then they add insult to injury by not respecting this song's softsationalness? Heresy. Plus, this track is galloping toward a comeback, thanks to MMM's recent appearance on Letterman.

And the #! Soft Rock Omission ... Any Song by Little River Band How can the LRB be dissed so glaringly? Seriously, pick any song. "Reminiscing." "Lady." "Cool Change," which would be my choice. If there's one thing in my life that's missing, it's the time that I spend alone. And if there's one thing this list is missing, it's LRB.

But perhaps you disagree. Come on, don't be shy. Let the creamy, cheddary goodness bubble over into the comments section of the blog.

Guest Celebritologist Jen Chaney is the movies and entertainment news editor for washingtonpost.com, as well as co-"Lost" blogger for Celebritology. And yes, she has "Cool Change" on her iPod. Want to make somethin' of it?

By Jen Chaney  | June 6, 2007; 11:18 AM ET
Categories:  Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Another Day, Another Simpson/Mayer Split
Next: Morning Mix: Paris On the Prison Couch?

Comments

ditto, Ditto, DITTO on the little river band. anything by them. how i did love their lilting harmonies as i was walking through the park, and reminiscing.

i've would have chosen, "i'm in you" by peter frampton, instead of 'baby i love your way."

love, Love, LOVE Magnet & Steel! Thanks for the happy reminders.

Posted by: methinks | June 6, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

What, no Jimmy Buffett? "Changes in Latitudes" deserves dis-honorable mention, methinks. (Go on and flame me, ya stinkin' parrotheads. nyah, nyah.)

Posted by: Snyder | June 6, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Snyder | June 6, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Ok, did I miss "Can't We Try" by Dan Hill? Now that's some softsational rock!

Posted by: LV | June 6, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe such a blatant omission of LRB!!

I'd add in any LRB song & take out Cat Stevens Peace Train.

Both Jen's list & the VH1 list remind me of riding my Schwinn flowered banana seat bike w/my crappy little bike AM radio tuned to WINX. Sometimes I'd even put my Dynamite 8 Track player in the flowered basket & listen to The Osmonds 8 tracks I had.

Good times, good times.....

Posted by: Bored @ work | June 6, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

My wife and I watched that whole Time-Life Soft Rock infomercial one night at 11:30PM and I was shocked at how much nostalgia it brought into me. AND I WAS BORN IN '74! Incidentally, I've got a half-dozen LRB songs on an MP3 disc in my car right now.

Posted by: 23112 | June 6, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if this really fits, but it always makes me slow and sentimental: Desperado by the Eagles.

Sailing is a totally great song.

Note to self: Get an IPOD, you little twit.

Posted by: ep | June 6, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Oooh forgot, along the same lines as Wildfire, is that song about "Need to make it to the river and leave this old Nebraska Town." Have no clue as to the title or the group.

Thanks Jen for a Friday List on Wednesday. You made a rough week better.

Posted by: ep | June 6, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

What is Orleans and why are they half naked and hugging on the album cover?

I may have an entry although I don't know the name of the song or the singer/group but I do know these words:

"summer breeze makes me feel fine, blowing thru the windows of my mind"

I think that's how it goes?

Posted by: petal | June 6, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Still: The Commodores: Not the radio edit version, but the album version.

You're Gonna Missing My Lovin: Lou Rawls: My father driving down the Jersey Turnpike singing this song and my cousin asking "are your parents having problems."

Let's Stay Together: Al Green: Enough said

Never Knew a Love Like This Before: Stephanie Mills

Posted by: Lisa1 | June 6, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Also, I'm going to state that Easy by the Commodores is ab fab. No, I am not ashamed that I like it.

Although, Hello, is the most painful thing to sit through on a drive to NY. One of my friends played it so many times that she almost left at the rest stop.

Posted by: petal | June 6, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Petal, it's Summer Breeze by Seals & Crofts.

Posted by: sen | June 6, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Petal:

that song is by "Seals and Crofts" another soft rock band from days gone by.

Actually "Seals and Crofts" were my first concert ever. Went with my mom when I was about 8. I think she brought me because my opera lovin Dad wouldn't go with her.

Posted by: Lisa | June 6, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Yacht Rock is one of the best shows ever.

It's so smooth!

Posted by: Chris | June 6, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

ep:

"Need to make it to the river and leave this old Nebraska Town" is from a Richard Marx song.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

That Orleans album cover? Quintessential softcore pr0n, maybe....

yucky....

On the other hand, my dad just named his new sailboat Still The One because it's an updated version of his old boat, and this one was built in the coastal town of Orleans, Mass. So I suppose I can't be too critical.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

i think i'm finding some long lost relatives on this blog...my sister could be bored@work and lisa1 could be my cousin. i swear my cousin and i had the exact same conversation about 'you're gonna miss my lovin' while driving on the nj turnpike w/our parents! maybe we were going through the haunted part of nj?
and my sister used to have the exact same banana seat bike w/flowered basket. i was so envious of that bike. i had the old school huffy (aqua blue, of course.) yikes.

Posted by: methinks | June 6, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Incidentally, the lyric in Seals & Croft's "Summer Breeze" is misquoted -- and that's not a criticism, it's just even more cheese-tastic when you understand it's: "Summer breeze makes me feel fine -- Blowing through the JASMINE in my mind!" (doo-doo-doo-DOOOOOO-doo-doo...)

Posted by: proxl | June 6, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"Chevy Van" by Sammy Johns. Girl accepts ride from guy in van and the rest is a fairy tale. It's creeptastic. Creeptastic AND softsational.

>>'Cause like a princess she was layin' there
Moonlight dancin' off her hair
She woke up and took me by the hand
We made love in my Chevy van
And that's all right with me<<

And my mother always told me not to hitchhike.

Also, Dave Loggins, "Please Come to Boston." Oy, that plaintive "I'm the number-one fan of the man from Tennessee."

Posted by: bb | June 6, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

"I have never heard of any of the songs that Jen mentioned (I would probably recognize a few if I heard them, but don't recognize them in print)... and I think I'm OK with that."

Hey, thanks for that, junior. Now pull up your pants, turn your baseball cap around and turn down that "My Humps" crap.

Posted by: proxl | June 6, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

my father wouldn't let me date a guy on the basis of his chevy van after that song came out. for real.

by the way, big props to jen chaney,fill-in celebritologist, for two excellent posts! if liz is reading from fire island (and i hope she isn't) she would be proud.

Posted by: methinks | June 6, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

For the record, the former lead singer for Orleans, the guy w/out the shirt & the very hairy chest on that album cover, is now a Congressman for NY.

Posted by: Bored @ work | June 6, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I just realized they're all shirtless.

Correction:
He's the one front & center w/his arms crossed.

Posted by: Bored @ work | June 6, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Am with you on LRB. "Take it Easy on Me" should be in the top ten on this list.

Posted by: anon | June 6, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

WHAT??? No James Taylor or Carly Simon??

How'bout:

Anne Murray - Killing Me Softly With His Song
The Carpenters - We've Only Just Begun
The carpenters - Rainy Days and Mondays
Bread - Baby I'm A-Want you
Bread - If

Ick-I feel a little slimey........

Posted by: Oakton | June 6, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

WHAT??? No James Taylor or Carly Simon??

How'bout:

Anne Murray - Killing Me Softly With His Song
The Carpenters - We've Only Just Begun
The carpenters - Rainy Days and Mondays
Bread - Baby I'm A-Want you
Bread - If

Ick-I feel a little slimey........

Posted by: Oakton | June 6, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

How could they miss...

PRECIOUS AND FEW - Climax
I'D LOVE YOU TO WANT ME - Lobo
INTO THE NIGHT - Benny Mardones

You know how, when you're about ready to puke, you start salivating really heavily? Well, all three of these records literally make the spit start for me.

Posted by: Margo | June 6, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Here's some of my faves:
"Reunited" by Peaches and Herb
"Eye in the Sky" by Alan Parsons Project

PS - I'm so excited you mentioned Bob Welch's "Ebony Eyes" although we should also mention his song that goes something like, "You're easy to love/it's good to know/that we can fall/oh baby/so easy to love..." I LOVE me some Bob Welch but I think that's because at 5 yrs of age when I first saw the album cover I was completely intrigued by the woman's hand on the park bench and wondering "Who could that be??"

Posted by: Melinda | June 6, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Re Bob Welch: have yawl heard the original FLEETWOOD MAC version of "Sentimental Lady" (on their album BARE TREES)?

Welch was a member of Mac from about 1972-1974, right before the RUMOURS Buckingham-Nicks Mac hit it big. Like so many of their pre-1975 records, "Sentimental Lady" was ALMOST a hit...

Posted by: Max | June 6, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

"Anne Murray - Killing Me Softly With His Song"
What? What about sometime Alexandria, Va. resident and much more famous coverer of that song Roberta Flack?
Give my old neighbor some love

Posted by: other liz | June 6, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Re: no James Taylor? No Carly Simon?

Nine words:

Mock
yeah
ing
yeah
bird
yeah
MOCK
ING
BIRD!

Posted by: Brian | June 6, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Other liz

Sorry...I stand corrected...Roberts Flak's version IS the original, and the sappiest. Props to the local talent.

Posted by: Oakton | June 6, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

And the guy from Orleans is now a Congressman, elected in Nov, and featured on the Colbert Report. How did that album cover factor into people's votes?

Posted by: Orleans | June 6, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

As a transplanted Canadian, how could they miss Gordon Lightfoot? "If You Could Read My Mind" and "Sundown" and "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald"... you couldn't throw a rock at Lite Rock radio in the 70s without hitting Gordon.

A shame, because I really like his really early folk stuff like "Early Morning Rain" and "Walls."

I also would be remiss (and betraying my country's colors) if I didn't at least mention "The Last Farewell" by Roger Whitaker. "Forrrrr youuuu arrrrrre.... beauuuuuutifullllll... and I have loved you deeerly... more deeeeerly than the spoken word can tellllllll..." lmao.

Posted by: Margo | June 6, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Creeptastic = fantastic in the Yacht Rock genre, as far as I'm concerned. "Chevy Van" is a classic (great submission), and I've always enjoyed Paul Anka's gag-inducing "You're Having My Baby." My number one fav may be R. Dean Taylor's "Indiana Wants Me," in which the singer is on the lam after murdering some guy who said some bad things about his girl.

Posted by: Charm City | June 6, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Re. John Hall

Here's a really dumb question -- HE got elected -- why is this site still up and why is it in the present? They couldn't afford a new website (they come with the job anyway)??

Posted by: Sorry I know this. | June 6, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Some grievous omissions (hey, that's a good name for a band, "The Grievous Omissions") from VH1's Big List O' Softastic Cheese:

1. "Rock Me Gently" Andy Kim
2. "Alone Again, Naturally" Gilbert O'Sullivan
3. "Love Will Find a Way" Pablo Cruise
4. "You Are the Woman" Firefall
5. "The Air That I Breathe" The Hollies
6. "Baby Come Back" Player
7. "Time Passages/Year of the Cat" Al Stewart
8. "Longer" Dan Fogelberg (Or, really, anything by Dan Fogelberg).

Posted by: Pablo | June 6, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Methinks: Was your uncle a lawyer who wished he was a blue-eyed soul singer and forced his children to listen to Robert Johnson,and Big Mama Thornton because he wanted his children to cultured.

Posted by: Lisa1 | June 6, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't really know what genre Chuck Mangione fits into, but soft rock seems like the wrong one.

Posted by: worf | June 6, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

"Dust in the Wind" should be omitted on a technicality. Not really a soft rock song; more of a prog miscarriage. Kansas was unsucsessfully trying do an interpretation of King Crimson's & Peter Gabriel-era Genesis' more cerebral moments.....they just ended up making a bazillion bucks off it.

Posted by: OldFart | June 6, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

First of all, back in the day (as they say) most of these songs were just "cool", not soft, or cheesy (though a few were). I hate all the revisionist history of rock....do we call Frank Sinatra "soft" or "smooth", or Count Basie's quieter tunes?

Posted by: Joe | June 6, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure the cover helped.

Posted by: Lisa1 | June 6, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

What, no Pure Prairie League? No Dan Fogelberg?? No Gilbert O'Sullivan???

Where's the Cheese Whiz? More important still, what kind of wankers does VH1 have compiling these lists?

Posted by: MisterBear | June 6, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh my god, Jen, I was the biggest LRB fan ever, had all their records and those darn lyrics (which I religiously memorized) still pop into my head at odd moments.
"Lady" is the cheesiest!
"Look around you, look up here. Take time to make time, make time to beeeee there."

Posted by: POS | June 6, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dc | June 6, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

What about "Someone Left My Cake Out In the Rain"? And I'll throw my weight behind "Chevy Van".

Posted by: jl | June 6, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

LRB was just in Memphis last Friday at the Memphis Italian Festival.

Posted by: b | June 6, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

"What was that AWFUL song in the 60s/70s about the guys who get trapped in a mine and eat the juicy young one? (I mean as in dinner?)"

"Timothy" by the Buoys. Not only do I know that, which is embarrassing enough, but I actually own the 45.

Posted by: SatchelFan | June 6, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Lisa and Sen thanks for letting me know. The misquoted lyrics were all I've had to go on for years now, I've got the band.

Proxl, thanks. Now I'm torn as to whether those lyrics are cheesier than "she's like the wind through my tree".

Posted by: petal | June 6, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Ohhhh I love the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." I will rock out on the beltway to that song. other drivers think i am strange, but i know they are just jealous of my soft rock moves.
(and now i have it stuck in my head...niiice)

Posted by: Melissa | June 6, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

lisa1? cousin lisa1????

(actually, my uncle WAS a lawyer, and did want his children to be more cultured but none of them would be cool enough to ever read this blog let alone post on it.)

Posted by: methinks | June 6, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

No! LRB still exists? I sort of lost interest after Glen left (scary that I know that, isn't it?)
I might get up the courage to Google them after a glass of wine....

Posted by: POS | June 6, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Eagles.......maaan !

New Kid in Town
Peaceful,easy feeling !!

Posted by: Josey Wales | June 6, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Good Gawd! In the middle of reading the initial lists and the addenda posted above, I had to stop for an insulin shot.

Sickly sweet pop music never died. It mated wit traditional C&W and birthed the Nashville Sound.

Orleans...GACK!! Why is it that whenever I hear that tune, I sing my version of the lyrics?

"You're still with crabs that itch.
Still the one you sonuva beetch..."

Posted by: Mister Methane | June 6, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Also - Guitar Man - Bread

Plus I preferred Toto's Africa to Rosanna.

Waitin for a girl like you - Foreigner

Posted by: Josey Wales | June 6, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear someone other than me found the "scratch my itch/son of a (nice mother)" couplet in "Still The One."

Speaking of made-up lyrics, last time the "Edmund Fitzgerald" came on the radio, my husband, God love him, nearly made me drive off the road laughing with a stream of encyclopedically dull made-up lyrics... the only one I remember was:

As the big freighters go it was bigger than most
But smaller than some of the otherrrrrs

Guess you had to be there.

Posted by: Margo | June 6, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

no margo. that's funny.

Posted by: methinks | June 6, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I am lucky enough to be named in honor of the 1975 hit "Amie" by the Pure Prarie League. Obviously that is my fave 70s soft rock tune.

"Lady" by Kenny Rogers, "Auld Lang Syne" by Dan Fogelberg, and "Making Love Out of Nothing at All" by Air Supply are other all time favorites.

Posted by: Amie | June 6, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

One tear-soaked word: "Shannon", by Henry Gross. Damn dog died, man. She died. Unless maybe, just maybe, she found that island...

And if one is into watching Robin Tunney roller-skate around an apartment, or fancies a chance to dissect Liz Phair's big-screen debut performance, CHERISH makes a fine way to spend 99 minutes of video-viewing time.

Posted by: Thor | June 6, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

In "Wildfire" the *girl* dies; the pony just got lost.

Interesting to see 10cc's "I'm Not In Love" on VH1's list considering the song's innovative production. The breathy choral effects were done with dozens of tape loops; no synthesizers were employed. It was avant-garde and schlock at the same time.

Posted by: beetsnotbeats | June 6, 2007 7:31 PM | Report abuse

"Amie" by PPL, Toto's "Africa" and Player's "Baby Come Back" are some of my favorite songs ever!! Just an aside, the dude that plays Ridge on The Bold & the Beautiful was in that band Player (don't know whether he sang that song or not, though) and I think one of the other guys in Player left and joined LRB. I guess it's one of those circle of life kind of things...

And yeahhhh for David Soul, "Don't Give Up On Us" - I thought he was one hot commodity back in 1976! Who can forget these classic lyrics: Don't give up on us baby/Don't make the wrong seem right/The future isn't just one night/It's written in the moonlight/And painted on the stars
We can't change ours...

Posted by: gail | June 6, 2007 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Least of all, let's not forget Poco's Crazy Love and Heart of the Night.

Mmmmmm. Smooth!

Posted by: charlie | June 6, 2007 8:09 PM | Report abuse

At the premiere of Cherish at Sundance a few years back I won a copy of the soundtrack cd by recognizing and naming America's "Sister Golden Hair." The whole soundtrack is great, and the movie a fair bit of fun as well. As for the subject of this forum, I'd have to nominate "She's Gone," by Hall & Oates, from the soundtrack.

Posted by: eprice29 | June 6, 2007 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Here's a vote for "Let Me Love You Tonight," by Pure Prarie League (which might be the snuggly-softest of the band names). And who sang lead on that one, trivia fans?

Posted by: sean | June 7, 2007 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Vince Gill?

Posted by: lisa | June 7, 2007 6:03 AM | Report abuse

"Someone left my cake out in the rain" is actually "MacArthur Park" sung by Richard Harris and written by Jimmy Webb. I had the LP and used to listen to it constantly. The cover was RH sitting on an ancient looking throne - cashing in on his starring role as Arthur in the film "Camelot." Cheesy or not, it was wonderful. Also, Roger Whittaker was born in Nairobi to English parents who emigrated to Kenya, so not sure about the Canadian connection, and that particular song was about leaving Durham, England. (Had that LP too. SAD!)

How can you leave out "Witchita Lineman" by Glen Campbell?

Posted by: expat51 | June 7, 2007 7:35 AM | Report abuse

I deem expat51 as the CheeseMaster.

Posted by: jl | June 7, 2007 7:57 AM | Report abuse

I just always affiliate Roger Whitaker with Canada... maybe because of the time we went up there on vacation to my parents' cottage and my dad's old college roomie Paul Palmer took us on a cruise in his pontoon boat and he BLASTED Roger Whitaker.

You haven't heard "The Last Farewell" until you've heard it competing with the roar of a pontoon boat engine.

By the way, correct spelling does not do most of the Ontario pronunciations in this post proper justice.

Posted by: Margo | June 7, 2007 8:54 AM | Report abuse

What, no ELO? It's a miscarriage of justice not to have the Electric Light Orchestra on there. "Sweet Talking Woman", "Telephone Line" and "Living Thing" just to name a few.

Posted by: Mr. Ecks | June 7, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Sorry--I've got to do it. Note to anyone under 38 y.o: This song got top 40 rotation on AM stations (at least in Colorado). Yes, Virginia--, the 70's were a strange and magical time. This was the strange part:

"Timothy" by the Bouys

Trapped in a mine that had caved in
And everyone knows the only ones left
Were Joe and me and Tim
When they broke through to pull us free
The only ones left to tell the tale
Were Joe and me

Timothy, Timothy, where on earth did you go?
Timothy, Timothy, God why don't I know?

Hungry as hell no food to eat
And Joe said that he would sell his soul
For just a piece of meat
Water enough to drink for two
And Joe said to me, "I'll have a swig
And then there's some for you."

Timothy, Timothy, Joe was looking at you
Timothy, Timothy, God what did we do?

I must have blacked out just around then
'Cause the very next thing that I could see
Was the light of the day again
My stomach was full as it could be
And nobody ever got around
To finding Timothy

Posted by: dc | June 7, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

For real cheese, how can any song beat "Torn between two lovers" by Mary McGregor?

Posted by: m.a.t. | June 7, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Melinda - I was a kid working at McDonalds when those songs were popular. Everytime I hear them they remind me of the smell of overheated grease.

Posted by: RD Padouk | June 7, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

the two most glaring omissions in my mind:

"sara" - starship
"the search is over" - survivor

soft-sational indeed. incidentally, as i said to my husband as we watched the show, is it bad that i like almost every single one of these songs?

Posted by: bamagirlinVA | June 7, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse