Posted at 6:45 AM ET, 06/25/2007

Morning Mix: Ready for Another Week Dominated by Paris Hilton 'News'?

By Liz Kelly
Second Annual Lizzies: Cast your votes now

Headlines: Larry King scores first Paris Hilton post-jail interview... Hilton to check out of Century City facility Tuesday and embark on her "new life"... Tests confirm Eddie Murphy as father of Scary Spice baby... Pix: Newly brunette Britney Spears planning to show true colors soon... Mother of 50 Cent's son sues for more child support... Cameron Diaz apologizes for international fashion faux pas... Lindsay Lohan's parents continue court battles... Suge Knight selling Malibu mansion... Sean and Julian Lennon on speaking terms again... Muggers target Foxy Brown... John Travolta's "Look Who's Talking" movies named Worst Trilogy of All Time.

Rumor Mill: Prince William and Kate Middleton back together... Paris Hilton's car repossessed?... Spice Girls set to announce reunion plans?... Tabloid pays $2 million for Eva Longoria wedding pix... Brangelina spend weekend in Spain sans kids... Mandy Moore forgets lyrics on stage... Michael Jackson planning European tour.

Say What?
"Look, I've done prison interviews before, but people like the Menendez Brothers were really important news stories. This wasn't. And even though I'd already written my questions, when all that pay-for-play stuff happened, I suddenly felt this was not up to my standard." -- Barbara Walters on why she ultimately passed on Paris Hilton's first post-jail interview

By Liz Kelly  | June 25, 2007; 6:45 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday List: Worst Cover Songs Ever
Next: Eddie Murphy's Golden Child

Comments

how about we just not mention her post-jail? what a wonderful, rehabilitative experience for all!

Posted by: cee_jay | June 25, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

barbara walters is so full of it. she was clearly willing and ready to do that "interview" until abc most likely told her they didn't want any part of it. "not up to her standards?" i'm sorry, when did interviewing the menendez brothers become the epitome of journalism?

Posted by: amanda | June 25, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: amanda | June 25, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

"On Friday, one prominent Peruvian human rights activist said Diaz should have been a little more aware of local sensitivities when picking her accessories."

Give me a break. Does every person in every country know about our history and our painful memories? It was an accident.

Posted by: Irish girl | June 25, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

If there were ever any doubt, Cameron Diaz offers proof positive that she is a bimbo and an airhead.

Diaz probably does not know the difference between Mao and the Dalai Lama.

Mao would have squashed Cameron Diaz like a bug.

Posted by: alicia | June 25, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I see offensive stuff all the time on shirts in this country. Maybe I should start smacking people and calling the news station about it.

Posted by: to alicia | June 25, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Or maybe you should start reading a little history.

Posted by: alicia | June 25, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

-I would like Dina and Michael Lohan to lose rights to all media outlets so we will never have to hear from them.

-"Look Who's Talking" is not only the worst movie trilogy and it is also the worst move ever shown TBS.

Posted by: Lisa1 | June 25, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I heard the rumor that the Foxy Brown attack wasn't a mugging, but rather was her pimp (ex-)boyfriend siccing some of his ho's on her after she broke up with him. I know it's jut rumor, and the WaPo has standards for reliability of the information it reports, but please, Liz, get to the bottom of this, b/c, if true, it's one of the best stories of the week, and it's only Monday.

Posted by: WoW | June 25, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Nice that Brad and Angelina were able to have a getaway in Spain. Maybe they were celebrating the "HUGE" weekend boxoffice of A Mighty Heart.

What was it, again.? Oh yeah, 4 million. Over Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Came in 10th.

After all of the publicity they did for this film....ouch!

Posted by: ltt | June 25, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Alicia, you might consider a chill-pill. As a south American, I can say it's not that huge a deal - the human rights people wanted to make a point, and the point has been made, now to a much bigger audience than they could ever have hoped for. If Cameron Diaz got her feelings hurt by it, then I'm sure not many Peruvians care. (It IS ironic that she was there doing a bit on Peruvian cultural history).

There are companies in Europe putting out t-shirts celebrating and popularizing the Colombian FARC guerrilla movement - which (unlike Shining Path) is still very active, killing and kidnapping and destroying villages. These are people who kidnap babies, hold them for years (one girl was taken at about 6 months and held until she was 3), killing them if ransoms aren't paid. And so what? The movement's on a t-shirt in Amsterdam with Che.

People will always glorify things they think they understand but don't. I mean, how wonderful was the Cultural Revolution for those who suffered it? Isn't the real question not whether it is appropriate to wear the bag to Peru, but the over-all pro-Mao message in the first place? Why not go after her for that? Or would it be appropriate in New York (where there are *fewer* victims) but not in Peru (where there are more)?

How does this work anyway?

Posted by: Bogota | June 25, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Michael Jackson is planning a European tour "because he was unable to attract interest in Las Vegas"? You'd think his travel agent would have recommended Thailand.

Posted by: byoolin | June 25, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

"Isn't the real question not whether it is appropriate to wear the bag to Peru, but the over-all pro-Mao message in the first place?"

That was my point. Diaz and all of her "edgy posturing" would have quickly and harshly silenced by Mao. And she does not have even the faintest glimmer of that realization.

Posted by: alicia | June 25, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I did appreciate the rest of your post, though. And getting a South American perspective. Very informative.

Posted by: alicia | June 25, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Not to defend Cameron but wasn't she surrounded by Peruvian people that knew what that bag had written on it & what it meant? Shouldn't one of her "handlers" have said something? It's not Cams job to take care of that stuff, she's the "talent." Her job is to show up, look good & promote whatever she's there to promote. I'm sure when she bought that bag she thought "Oh how cute!!! A RED STAR!!!!"

I have several shirts w/Chinese characters on them & as far as I know they probably state something like "Stupid Americans will buy anything w/foreign writing on it!!LOSER!!"

Posted by: Bored @ work | June 25, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

A Mighty Heart was fantastic. it also is a very serious movie in the summer competing with Shrek 79 and Silver Surfer whatever. It really is worth seeing. I was a journalist when the whole thing went down and remember feeling sick to my stomach and disgusted by the number of journalists at risk at any given time. Seriously, it is really, really well done and worth seeing. Lovely job by all the cast, and incredible job by Winterbottom in presenting all aspects.

Posted by: Dave | June 25, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Right. Okay. I'll give back my college degree and all the money I've ever made correcting other people's mistakes. I apologize now, officially, for any intellectual arrogance I may have ever displayed. I'm must humbly ashamed that I've ever quoted Wittgenstein after too many steins of beer.
It's just that -- I didn't know I was an airhead. Like Cameron Diaz, I didn't know that not reading Chinese made me an airhead. And I'll be sure to check anything I own for foreign words that I might not understand.
Sorry, sorry, sorry!

Posted by: Duh ... what? | June 25, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Apology accepted.

Posted by: Thought and Speech Police | June 25, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

"Or maybe you should start reading a little history"

Huh? How will that help me point out to people that they are wearing something rude in America? Also, it is there right to wear something rude in America or have you forgotten that part of history.

I second the chill pill.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 25, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

You should know everything about every country in the world. I mean they know it all about us right?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 25, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

"Also, it is there right to wear something rude in America..."

Yeah. You're right. Forget the history. At least until the grammar is mastered, anyway.

Posted by: alicia | June 25, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

"And with all due respect, Bogota, that chill-pill stuff is more than a little condescending."

Telling someone to read a little history is *also* a little condescending...

Cameron did something obviously but unwittingly insensitive. She doesn't have a sophisticated knowledge of history. Ok, isn't that enough of a point to be made, especially given her apology?

Now, back to the pool on what time the sheriffs let Paris out, please..

Posted by: well.. | June 25, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

If Paris is eligible to be released at midnight, I'm banking on midnight.

Posted by: duh ... what? | June 25, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

"at least until the grammar is mastered, anyway" is a sentence fragment. No need to point out why that's hypocritical, then.

Alicia, your first point was fine, although a little strong, I thought. But please, quit pot-stirring and being antagonistic. We all GET it. Be smarter than us and clever and smug and self-congratulating about it, who gives a crap. But the unawareness of the hypocrisy (also pointed out above) is a little bothersome.

Posted by: Oh, HONESTLY | June 25, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

(sigh)

And here I was *sooooo* happy that no one had mentioned Paris since CJ's post...

Posted by: Bogota | June 25, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

that would be Paris the heiress, not Paris the city of lights, the Dallas of Europe...

Posted by: Anonymous | June 25, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Somewhat of a non sequitur, but ... I happened to run across a photo of Angelina Jolie in People magazine. It was obviously un-retouched and in natural daylight, and OMG did she look scary. Aside from the greenish-yellow dress she was wearing that made her look even more bloodless and skeletal than usual, I was again taken aback at her alarmingly ropy arms -- I have never seen veins so bulging and prominent. Her hands literally looked like that of a skeleton -- just bones. If I just saw those hands and arms, I'd think they belonged to a very elderly and very sick person. Something is just not right there.

Posted by: C. | June 25, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

"Also, it is there right to wear something rude in America..."

THEIR RIGHT. It was a typo anal rod, but I think you got the point or maybe not.

However, I forgive you because you honestly must have no life outside of picking at people's grammar and their "accidental" fashion choices.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 25, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

The Anal Rods would be a great name for a rock band. The Pants Verdict would be, too.

And I am consistently amazed by how totally vicious people are with each other in blog comments. Is this really needed? Is it productive? Do we think people will be swayed to our position after we attack them this way?

Posted by: Lily | June 25, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Lily, but she ask for it.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 25, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I believe the Anal Rods had one of the worst covers of all time - a punk-ska-country-lounge version of "Wildefire."

Ask Liz - she has an mp3 of it, I believe.

Posted by: byoolin | June 25, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of typos: "Wildfire".
Sheesh.

Posted by: byoolin | June 25, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

No one asks for it. Just ignore, descalate, take the high road. Nastiness is completely useless. Spreading bad feeling is pointless. I agree with Lily. If all anyone wants to do is beat the crap out of each other, let's give them their own forum to do that.

Posted by: Don | June 25, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

oh, Byoolin, didn't they cover Bruce's "I'm On Fire", too? I KNOW Liz would love that one.

Posted by: Lily | June 25, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Please Don, people who consistently act like they are better and beat other people down, sometimes need to be put in their place.

She deserved it. Alicia and the Anal Rods is actually a better name.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 25, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

just saying it is a lot more effective to ignore idiocy than to try to make a point to the idiot. what have you done except increased the incivility of the forum? why are you giving this person so much power over you? just walk away, metaphorically.

Posted by: Don | June 25, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh please. You just think you see blood in the water and are piling on. At least own it rather than pretending moral righteousness.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 25, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

OK, uncle. You people are all unbelievable. So filled with bile you cannot see an honest plea for civility for what it is? Jesu Christmas.

Posted by: Don | June 25, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Hey, byoolin, good catch on the "Wildefire/Wildfire" mistunderstanding, but I think you're only partially correct -- wasn't there a Britich band of the 60's called Ye Olde Anal Rods that released a single called "Wyldefyre".

Posted by: VoR | June 25, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Don, That moral righteousness comment was not directed at you. Your plea for civility was appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to make an important point. It's given me encouragement for self-reflection.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 25, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Can't we all just get along?

Posted by: Rodney King | June 25, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

thanks! and amen, "Rodney"

Posted by: Don | June 25, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

OM shanti OM...

Posted by: Anonymous | June 25, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Someone remember to mention the "Anal Rods" to Gene. Also, was thrilled about the PantsSuit verdict.

And since I mentioned Gene and something non-celeb related in this post, and I don't want to betray Liz or take her for granted, I just have to say it made me kinda happy to see Prince William and Kate Middleton back together. Since I don't know them, I can't say way, it just seems right from the outside looking in. She's so pretty and classy :)

Posted by: Sigh | June 25, 2007 7:03 PM | Report abuse