Posted at 9:27 AM ET, 07/24/2007

Morning Mix: Lindsay Lohan Arrested on Multiple Charges

By Liz Kelly

Breaking Lohan News: Lindsay Lohan arrested; charged with suspicion of driving under the influence (while wearing ankle bracelet), driving with a suspended license, possession of a controlled substance and bringing contraband into a custody facility... Lohan released on $25,000 bail. Update, 4:29 p.m. ET: Lohan returns to rehab, lawyer says she was alerted to relapse.

Headlines: Drew Carey, come on down!... Kelly Clarkson apologizes to Clive Davis... Paris Hilton begins her post-jail life of charity work... Eva Mendes poses nude in final issue of Jane magazine... Prince advising Michael Jackson on comeback strategy... J.Lo and Marc Anthony team up for tour... Sober Brigitte Nielsen turns out for Flavor Flav roast... David Hasselhoff wants to produce daughters' pop careers... Ja Rule, Lil Wayne arrested on gun charges... Is this really Madonna's arm?

Rumor Mill: Britney Spears reportedly melts down at magazine photo shoot; buys new L.A. home; spawns pregnancy rumors... Hilary Duff rebuffs young fans... Will Forest Whitaker turn up on "Lost?"

Say What?
"I am not BFs with C (Courtney) Love, one night with her made me realize why Kurt (Cobain) killed himself. I nearly checked into rehab." -- British singer Lily Allen

By Liz Kelly  | July 24, 2007; 9:27 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Celebreality Review: 'Rock of Love'
Next: Lindsay Lohan: An Arresting 2007 Timeline

Comments

ok. brit is scaring me now. i mean, i think we all expected her to live up to her Lizzie Award - but this seems a bit more into the 'i wish i had her in my deadpool' territory. I hope she calms down - not just for her own sake - but because i really dont want to have to deal with 15 days of non-stop CNN 'we think they might be inside the building with what might be the corpse... back to you Wolf' like we had with Anna Nicole.

Posted by: Quintilius Varus | July 24, 2007 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Here we go again!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 24, 2007 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Brit and Lilo were funny at first. Now, they are just incomprehensible. An occassional mistake is okay, but repeatedly making the same mistakes is a sign of incompetence. Millions of people go through every day without getting busted for DUI TWICE (hire a driver) or having a meltdown on the job every day. Why can't they?

Posted by: ep | July 24, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Re: Lindsay (in the Marge Simpson voice when she tries to sell the precious family heirloom that turns out to be a whiskey bottle purchased for a few booklets of green stamps): Oh, no. No, no, no, no. Lindsay's sober because she wears the anklet.

Posted by: Thor | July 24, 2007 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Re: "Britney Spears reportedly melts down at magazine photo shoot; buys new L.A. home; spawns pregnancy rumors..."

Liz, I think that, in SPAWN, you've found the perfect word for anything having to do with Britney and pregnancy (or "pregrancy," as my 11th grade bio teacher used to say).

Posted by: Margo | July 24, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

do these people not know what birth control is? Given the rate of STDs inthe population, you think they wouldn't be screwing without protection right and left. It is foul. I wonder what the stats on HPV and herpes are among young celebs?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 24, 2007 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Lohan is turning into the Robert Downey of her peer group. Talented actress (ok, that's still a little questionable, actually, but she was great in "Bobby" and pretty funny in "Mean Girls") but just can't keep it together. Sad.

Posted by: Athens reader | July 24, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

It's just sad, so sad, so very very sad, that this latest Lohan snag will likely overshadow the enlightening Brit-Brit article above, in which she purportedly tested all the toilets in Ray Liotta's home as she deliberated on the purchase. Given her portfolio, I imagine a newspaper accompanied the testing activities.

Posted by: Thor | July 24, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Well said, Quint. If the reports of her behavior are accurate, this is not fun to watch anymore.

Posted by: anon | July 24, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

"Millions of people go through every day without getting busted for DUI TWICE (hire a driver) or having a meltdown on the job every day. Why can't they?"

I'm really beginning to believe that both of these girls are mentally ill. I'm not a doctor, but Lindsay seems to suffer from a severe case of addiction. I'm not sure what Britney's diagnosis is, but the paranoia and erratic behavior seem to go beyond the realm of sanity. It doesn't look like rebellion anymore, but rather the incapacity to do normal, daily tasks. I really hope that both of them get help. Their behavior isn't funny anymore, it's frightening.

As for Lily Allen's quote...she's got talent, but she needs to learn to be discreet. She's constantly bashing some other celebrity or pouring her feelings out on her myspace page. She's young, but she may end up regretting not being able to keep our mouth shut. You can't always say what you feel, when you feel it. I know I wouldn't have a job if I acted that way!

Posted by: Noelle | July 24, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to know how much money Brit has left in the bank account. This can't go on forever, or can it? Did someone actually invest her money well?? Wow.

And as a former Long Islander, I'm sick of LiLo!!! It's bad enough we have Rosie, Joey/Amy, the Baldwins, and Mariah! I'm sure I forgot some, too. AGH.

Posted by: WDC | July 24, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

The real question is will LiLo's mugshot be as "hot" as Paris's?!

Release the mugshot....don't make me file a Freedom of Information request!

Posted by: Guy in DC | July 24, 2007 9:54 AM | Report abuse

More likely, "David Hasselhoff wants to produce daughters' film career, following their much-acclaimed video, 'That Drunken, Irresponsible Schmuck is My Dad'."

Posted by: niceFLguy | July 24, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

The problem is, LiLo has never been held accountable for her mistakes, either by the law or her sad excuse of a mother.

Her license needs to be revoked for a minimum of 5 years and she needs jail time. Then she needs to remove herself from her current peer group.

There's always hope, but people need to stop "protecting her" from herself.

Posted by: Rose | July 24, 2007 10:02 AM | Report abuse

"Dressed in a tight black t-shirt, and dark slouchy jeans, the mother-of-two clutched a large designer bag, unwittingly flexing her ultra-lean, muscular arms.

The mother-of-three's arm betrayed not a spare ounce of fat, and a sizeable amount of muscle. A result of her clean-living vegan lifestyle."

I don't know if it is her arm or not, but the writer needs to pay more attention to his/her writing.

Posted by: Irish girl | July 24, 2007 10:04 AM | Report abuse

That's right, make Lilo pay for her stupidity... death by lethal injection, I say.

Wait, that would be rather ironic, wouldn't it? Enh, give her a couple more years and she'll do the job herself.

Posted by: Libidinous Johnson | July 24, 2007 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Ohhh, dear, things are not going well for those girls! Here's the Lindsay mug shot, for the person who asked:

Posted by: h3 | July 24, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Just looked at the mug shot (see link in h3's post). Just turned 21 and already her eyes look dead. If anyone truly loves Lindsay, they will have her committed to a true rehabilitation clinic and on her "graduation" remove her from the Hollywood scene. But I guess the money that she probably doles out to her family and other enablers is more important to them than her well-being.

Posted by: pnina | July 24, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

She certainly does not look 21. I guess alcohol, cocaine, hair bleaching, etc. will do that do a person.

Posted by: re. h3's link | July 24, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Wow, she looks really raggedy and on her way down without the half-inch of makeup and the shades.

Tell your kids that this is what happens when you're a teen star with no impulse control or adult supervision.

Posted by: niceFLguy | July 24, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Britney is a train wreck. Perhaps she has had a brief moment of enlightenment and realized that her career is OVER! Or she could just know that even bad publicity is publicity and that somewhere, someone will remember that she ever existed in pop culture.

Posted by: pnina | July 24, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

OMG - I LOVE that mug shot! It really says it all: "Where am I? Who is this taking my picture? Waitaminnit - where'd I leave my brain, dude?"

Well, a big shout-out to Lilo, who has a stitch that she must itch and is giving poor old Brit-Brit a run for her Lizzies money.

(Also: Good job with the editing, Irish Girl. Terrible writing there, and equally weird photos...)

Posted by: Bogota | July 24, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Re the mugshot: and yet did you read the comments on that link page? "Hotness"... "Hot" and variations thereof. (My personal favorite was "I'd slip her the beef.")

Someday I'd like someone to explain this phenomenon: the more lost Lindsey gets, the more "hot" guys think she is.

Posted by: Margo | July 24, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Per the mentally ill statement...

These young women did not have normal upbringings, not in the slightest.

Both of these young girls were ground through the entertainment industry machine at a young age (LiLo - started modelling at age 3; Britney was on Mickey Mouse at 8).

They spent their formative years in front of cameras, in a community that is hardly known for its discretion around children (look at Drew Barrymore). Their view of the world has got to be surreal at best - they really are at the center of their particular universes.

Not to mention the constant, constant, constant media scrutiny. It's one thing to be paranoid and think everyone is looking at you. These girls can barely walk out their front door without people shoving cameras in their face.

If these girls were actually well-adjusted young women, I'd be astounded. As it is, the incredible narcissism and self-absorption (and the self-destructiveness than can accompany it) is hardly a surprise. But you can't just dismiss them as spoiled (like, say, Paris Hilton who was born into privilege). These girls don't appear to have had parents who thought of their long term stability and happiness, and instead treated them as family breadwinners from a very young age.

So I feel bad for them that their family hasn't taken better steps to protect them (look at the Harry Potter trio of kids by comparison). But by the same token, they have both had serious wake-up calls *and* they have the legal independence and financial resources that many people who have similar problems could only dream of.

Posted by: Chasmosaur | July 24, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Re: "Perhaps someone close to them should just give them a good shake, tell their publicists that they are disappearing for the next year, and take them somewhere where they can try and gain some equilibrium and perspective."

Reference the book ELVIS: WHAT HAPPENED?

Posted by: Margo | July 24, 2007 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Those aren't Madonna's arms. Didn't we fall for the photoshop trick last week with Posh's legs?

and doesn't LiLo look a lot like her (40 y.o.) mom in her mug shot?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 24, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Madonna isn't a vegan, so the fact checking is as bad as the editing.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 24, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Wow that mug shot was bad - her skin looks atrocious. I personally liked the slack, open mouth in the picture - it just relayed that extra bit of total stupidity.

Posted by: JK | July 24, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

PEOPLE YOU'RE MISSING THE REAL NEWS ITEM UP THERE!!

FOREST WHITAKER & PETER STORMARE ON LOST!!!

Sorry, I'm in LOST withdrawls you'll have to excuse me.

Posted by: Bored @ work | July 24, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

David Hasselhoff: instead helping your daughters become over hype sexual objects singing over mediocre dance tracks, why don't you work on being your sobriety that would be best thing you can do for them.

-Britney Spears: Ok Magazine should not be surprised by her behavior. They knew she was a train-wreck and they were hoping something like this would happen so they can have the exclusive.

-I knew Lindsay will fall off the wagon eventually, but I didn't think it would be so soon.

Posted by: Lisa1 | July 24, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

"I wonder what the stats on HPV and herpes are among young celebs?" Given how high they are among the population of regular folks ... I'd guess VERY, VERY HIGH. Especially since everyone's slept with someone who's slept with Paris Hilton, who we know has herpes.

Margo, men defy explanation IMHO. I used to make fun of the ridiculous "Men are from Mars, women are from Venus" nonsense, but frankly, there may be some truth to it. Men seem to choose the most psycho, high-maintenance, messed-up drama queens with bad personalities, and ignore the many beautiful, nice, sweet, smart women. I will never understand it.

Liz, love the "Is this really ---'s [insert body part]?" clips. Too funny.

Madonna shoots pheasants, doesn't she? I don't think she's been a vegan or even a vegetarian for years, and she's starting to look alarmingly masculine. A little padding on that frame would go a long way.

Posted by: C. | July 24, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Madonna is definitely not a vegan or a vegetarian. She toyed with macrobiotic for a while, but that is over, too.

and C, women regularly choose nutso men, too. (just read Hax's colum and chat--people choose the people who complement their negative patterns unless they address and fix those) It is not gender specific in the least!

Posted by: N. | July 24, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

"people choose the people who complement their negative patterns unless they address and fix those" -- absolutely true. And yep, women make whacko choices too. :-)

Posted by: Mea culpa from C. | July 24, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I never made a whacko choice in my life, lmao.

And funny: the question re Lindsey's perceived "hotness" rising in direct proportion to her "lostness" was actually my husband's. I merely transcribed.

Posted by: Margo | July 24, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Lindsay Lohan is competing with Paris Hilton for the highest arrests record to brag about their Street Cred

Posted by: whos your daddy? | July 24, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

um ... Lilo IS hot.

and also, most comments about her "hotness" on the internet are probably meant just to upset the insecure ladies that read them and get upset that "all" guys only go after "psycho" girls.

Posted by: The Dude | July 24, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

yes, ditto, C--I speak from experience (as a woman who chose wrong based on those bad patterns..) Got to deal with your own demons in life before you can be in a truly good relationship

Posted by: N | July 24, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

" Lindsey's perceived "hotness" rising in direct proportion to her "lostness" "

Hmmm, is it men's desire to be rescuer/savior/needed? "I can save her, really ... "

Posted by: Anonymous | July 24, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

men do not have the same rescuer/savior/needed gene that inhabits some women.

men have that "if she's this crazy, I bet she's a firecracker in bed" gene...

it's pretty simple, really.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 24, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

You guys are way too harsh. I would've been a model teenager if you'd given me fame, beauty and millions of $$ at age 21....NOT!

well, anyway, she did break the law. So, do you think she should serve jail time? Vote on it: http://www.youpolls.com/details.asp?pid=219

And, if you want, you can create your own poll in less than a minute.

It's new, it's cool...and everyone is doing it. Check it out: www.youpolls.com

Posted by: Mercy | July 24, 2007 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mercy,

Please stop spamming us with your website. Website polling is not new, not cool, and everyone's doing it. WashingtonPost does it better with their informal polls.

Please stop. We're not interested. We came to read the WashingtonPost, not see ads for your website.

Thanks.

Posted by: Mercy Me, Gracious? No. | July 25, 2007 7:38 AM | Report abuse

why did u do it!!!!!!!u deserved to be in jail cuz all of the stuff u did!!!!! u did this on purpose and now u get the consequences for useing a coceine thats illigal and now u get whats comein 2 u and alcohal u are a bad example to u and all your fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: anonymous | July 27, 2007 11:05 PM | Report abuse